How Worried Are You About The Starting 5?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on March 31, 2015

Right now, that 5 goes Bum, Cain, Peavy, Huddy, and Timmy. I think it could be argued that either Voggy or Yuzzie=Pet should be in that 5 but for the start of the season, those are your 5.

Bum: No worries here, moving along to….

Cain: I was worried about Cain until I heard Kruk discussing him on KNBR yesterday. As we know, Kruk’s assessments can be dangerous to the ears if not listened to carefully. For instance, I never look directly into a Kruk assessment, at least not long than a second or so. But he made an interesting point when he said that Cain can finally extend his arm without restriction and that his curve ball is back and it’s deadly. Cain’s biggest hurdle is probably mental but I’m fairly confident he’ll get over that and start to let the ball fly…..

Peavy: This will be the same comment for Huddy. I think that if Bochy manages Peavy’s innings this year, and if it were me this is where I would use Petit and Voggy most aggressively, Peavy will probably be productive. I wouldn’t let him go past 5 innings. This would take a different mindset by everyone but it was clear that both he and Huddy were out of gas at the end of last year. I’m a big believer in limiting innings of your old starting P’s and in theory the Giants have 2 guys in the bullpen who could piggy back a game with Peavy and Huddy.

Huddy: read above

Timmy: he worries me the most. I’m not buying this “Daddy fixed everything” story. Having said that, Kruk says Timmy is light years ahead of where he’s been in previous springs. Kruk, Jesus….I guess the only thing to do is hope Kruk’s correct and that Timmy will end up having a solid 2015. Maybe not Cy Young-like, but something productive. That would be quite the turnaround but weirder things have happened in baseball…..

1. gianthead said, on March 31, 2015 at 6:21 am

Was interesting reading recently about Cain saying that he had been pitching with the inability of stretching the arm all the way out. It is amazing he got through the last couple of years in that condition. So now that he can stretch his arm fully, the arm has produced different soreness that he is not used to, which makes perfect sense and may take a few bog league starts for him to get to 100% health but I am ready to put on my Cain jersey opening day next week.

• wilcojoe said, on March 31, 2015 at 7:07 am

Not to mention he probably had to learn to pitch differently. Different arm angles, slots, whatever Kruk likes to call it. I wouldn’t be surprised if it takes him some time to regain his old form. Longer than most think.

2. gianthead said, on March 31, 2015 at 6:43 am

I was a little surprised that Susac was sent down, don’t you all think he will be back sooner than later? Then what happens to the roster? I just read that Carbonell had only 15 at-bats this whole spring. With all the injuries in the OF, how the hell does he only get 15 abs so far???? He may be closer to the roster than we think. I think if Pagan goes down, he may be the first option up. Juan Perez is not long for the SF Giants organization. He helped win one World Series and I will be forever grateful and still shocked about his homer in the playoffs and how well he played overall.

5 bench players: Hector Sanchez, Duffy, Arias, Ishikawa and I am going Maxwell at this point to see if he should stick back in the big leagues. Adrianza see ya…

I guess once Pence is back that whomever between Ishikawa and Maxwell will be the odd man out. If Susac gets back later in the year, who then is likely to go?

Finally, lets hope Timmy shows enough that a Mariners or Red Sox will be willing to put up a decent prospect for the idea of putting Timmy in their bullpen for a playoff run…

• blade3colorado said, on March 31, 2015 at 7:11 am

Susac does NOT have a position with Posey at catcher. In effect, it makes no sense to have him fester on the bench. This dude would be starting and thriving on 3/4s of the MLB teams. So, the Giants have a decision to make going forward: 1. Do they move Posey to an easier position – first or third – bringing up Susac to catch? Or, 2. Do they nurture his trade value in the minors (where he’ll get regular ABs) for a blockbuster trade? Me? Dunno what they do. However, consider this – most catchers start to fade prior to age 30, so a decision to move Posey needs to be made no later then next season in my opinion. Not certain how this involves Susac, but I’m certain the Giants brass is looking at all angles.

• wilcojoe said, on March 31, 2015 at 7:14 am

Didn’t see your post Blade. I think we are on the same page.

• Lurker John said, on March 31, 2015 at 7:24 am

I agree blade. It’s fairly obvious that getting him at bats and time behind the plate every day is more important than having on the bench most of the time, which is exactly where he’d be with the Giants have picked Sanchez as their back up. Sanchy did himself a big favor by showing up in shape.

Susac is the guy for the future, IMO. Good catchers are hard to come by, so I think he stays with the franchise. I know he’s disappointed, but once he gets over that he’ll see this as an opportunity to continue to hone his game. He’s going to get called up this year. Playing in one of the best minor league parks in baseball might take a little sting out of it.

• blade3colorado said, on March 31, 2015 at 7:27 am

Lurker John, one consolation for Susac is that he will be near his family and friends, who live in the area where he will be playing.

• stickman said, on March 31, 2015 at 8:29 am

Excellent problem to have with two top-rated catchers. Reminds me of the Yogi Berra/Elston Howard days for the Evil Empire. Yes, the brass will have to do a lot of cogitating. My preference would be to see Buster bopped to third and Susac behind the plate, occasionally getting spelled by Posey when his acute generalship is needed situationally. As for a blockbuster trade, catcher and shortstop are easily the least replaceable and scarcest position player commodities. The return would hafta be gynormous.

• chipower9 said, on March 31, 2015 at 9:40 am

Well, I am going to have to fire my fly on the wall, as he has failed to give me the skinny on Susac. So, no real idea on what the Giants plan is with Susac, but I do agree with sending him down to let him play every day in Sacto. I doubt seriously he ends up part of a trade (partly because of the reason Stix makes about catcher being a tough position to fill), but who the hell knows.

Stix – I don’t see the team moving Posey to 3rd. If they do move him over the next couple of years, I anticipate the move to 1st base. Posey has made it known that his preference is to catch. I don’t see a permanent move for him for a couple of years.

• wilcojoe said, on March 31, 2015 at 7:13 am

I really didn’t have a problem with Susac being sent down. He is too talented to be sitting on the bench. The bigger question should be, what is managements long term plan with the catcher position? I think by this time next year, Susac is the everyday catcher and Posey is at first (with Belt in the OF). Outside of Susac being traded, I don’t see any other option.

• blade3colorado said, on March 31, 2015 at 7:17 am

Yep WJ, on the same page. 🙂

3. blade3colorado said, on March 31, 2015 at 7:01 am

I’ve said this before – I’ll be really concerned near or at the trade deadline if the rotation is flailing. I’ll let 10Boo or whatever the fuck his troll ass name is worry for me. Besides, it could be worse, we could have signed Jon Lester, who currently has a “fatigued or dead arm.”

By the by, I understand the need to discuss this subject (and nice write up Flavor on this subject), especially so with the interminable wait for real games to begin.

So with that being said, here is how I think it will play out . . . Timmy will suffice as #5. No one can expect much out of that rotation spot. It’s not like we are relying on him to be our “Ace.” Our ball park is the great equalizer, so any results in the skewed desert are suspect in my opinion. Bum will be Bum once the real games start. One of the other 3 will face plant and Sabes will acquire someone or bring up a rook from the minors to address this need. Also, I agree with what Dirt alluded to yesterday – Susac is being sent back to the minors to get regular at bats, whereby he maintains his numero uno prospect value; as well as increase his trade value. In short, he could definitely be a trade chip going forward if the need arises.

4. wilcojoe said, on March 31, 2015 at 7:03 am

Loved Willied’s 8:07 from last night. Well done sir.

5. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 31, 2015 at 7:20 am

I’m worried. Real worried. Lincecum is the least worrisome.

6. Lurker John said, on March 31, 2015 at 7:36 am

I’m glad to see Duffy made the team. He’s a gamer who can swing the bat and play multiple positions. Finally someone with some pop off the bench. Congrats dude. I think the rotation will settle in by the end of April or middle of May. I’m still confident Cain will make it all the way back. As long as the repair is sound, he’s too much of a horse not to and he’s only 30. Hudson pitched well overall in AZ, a notorious hitter’s mecca. Peavy, Vogey and Lincecum need to give the team innings. They do that, I think we’ll be all right. Heston, Beede and Crick wait in the wings. No need to worry, boys, it’s April. I’m ready for baseball.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 31, 2015 at 8:06 am

I don’t see where the final roster is settled. Has it been announced?

• Lurker John said, on March 31, 2015 at 8:18 am

No, I don’t think so. I thought I read Duffy made the team on SFGate.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 31, 2015 at 8:22 am

I think it is down to him and Adrianza. Seems like a no brainer but Adrianza is so well thought of defensively. Or something.

• Lurker John said, on March 31, 2015 at 8:26 am

The Giants sent 11 guys down yesterday. I figure if Duffy wasn’t one of them, he probably makes the team.

• Lurker John said, on March 31, 2015 at 8:34 am

I looked up Adrianza’z stats the other day because of what you said, him being highly regarded. The guy hasn’t hit anywhere, so he must be one hell of a defensive player for the Giants to hold him in such high esteem. Like you said, dirt, seems like a no-brainer.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 31, 2015 at 8:44 am

Agree with you, John. Seems like losing Adrianza, painful as it may be, is a blow the club should be able to absorb. Especially when the offense is a question going into the season. I’m not sure that I buy that though. Sure, HR will be an issue bu I think this club will hit well enough and score runs. Pitching is the issue. As it always is eh?

7. unca_chuck said, on March 31, 2015 at 7:40 am

I’ll start worrying April 6th.

Willie that was a great piece of writing.

• Lurker John said, on March 31, 2015 at 8:18 am

With all the crap the Niners are going through, Chuck? The Giants are a walk in the park.

• willedav said, on March 31, 2015 at 8:39 am

Thx (to wilco too), just f-ing around. “outrageous” was fun theme, loved the zum belt/bochy line.

Kings really are doomed and I doubt George Karl, who can’t play, helps them a whole lot.
      I wouldn’t put it past a team to send some chump after Curry in those double teams. Like Draymond said about Dahntay Jones, if I’m out it’s lot worse for my team than if Jones is out for clips.
      If Young ever did take over Niners, wonder what he would do?

8. willedav said, on March 31, 2015 at 7:56 am

Susac sure is interesting. Sending him to Sac also allows SF to hide him. He only had 100 ABs last year, and while he drove the ball and looked good it’s not true indicator of how he will be pitched/what he can do for 400 ABs. And more time working on his defense/calling a game will be a big plus.

You have to wonder if what Blade mentioned (Posey at 1b belt LF) is ultimate plan going forward and how much it’s been discussed by FO and parties involved. If Aoki/Blanco works out and Pagan can be productive then Sabes has bought another year of Posey behind plate. If not then maybe that plan takes root a little sooner.

Baggs had another doom post over SPs yesterday, and I read the one from McCove guy but given what these guys have done over their careers you have to trust they know what they are doing and will be ready to roll once games really count. Giants have quality depth in pen and best in biz to manage and coach it.

The Giants pounded Greinke last week, but he is really good and should have a fine season, unfortunately.
    On flip side, might be his last in Dodger blue as he goes after big bucks.

9. stickman said, on March 31, 2015 at 8:23 am

Excellent analysis, Flav. You covered the bases. Of course maybe i’m a bit predisposed to agreeing with takes close to my own speculations. Good job in any event.

10. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 31, 2015 at 9:27 am

Occasionally Kawakami writes an article that is positive without the lame pot shots.

This is what I have thought about Sabean for a while. He was ahead of the curve in the “post-steroid” era and his old school approach has reaped the rewards. As mentioned at the end, the concern now is pitching coming up to replace what was the big 3 of Cain, Lincecum & Bumgarner.

• Lurker John said, on March 31, 2015 at 10:03 am

Good article. I especially like this insight from the sage Felipe Alou:

“When we saw all the testing take hold,” Sabean said, “when we saw what was going to happen as the result of that, (Alou) had a great statement… that the game was going back to playing baseball–which is pitching and defense and timely hitting,” Sabean said.

11. chipower9 said, on March 31, 2015 at 9:33 am

Good thread, Flav. Will offer my thoughts on the rotation after catching-up on some of the last comments on yesterday’s thread.

Kudos to WillieD for his three predictions. Those had me truly LMAO.

On Mullins taking the reins at St. John’s. I get that some have a reservation about him having no coaching experience, and I know the NBA and NCAA games are different, but remember that guy Kerr didn’t having any coaching experience, either. I don’t follow hoops that much, so I will simply wish Mully the best.

12. chipower9 said, on March 31, 2015 at 9:54 am

On the topic of the day, I am not worried right now. I think Bum will be fine, and I anticipate a bounce-back year for Cain. I agree that I would limit innings for Peavy and Hudson, and let Vogey and Petit fill the gap. And like others, the 5 hole is what it is…regardless of who is in that slot (Timmy for now), you just don’t expect much.

And it is fricking early, too. Talk to me around June 1st about any concerns. For now, I am ready to hear that call of “Play Ball!”

Six days until the opener, and 13 days until the home opener. I cannot wait to see that third World Series Champions banner ran up the flag pole!

13. willedav said, on March 31, 2015 at 10:03 am

For non-doomers, Panik hit his 3rd HR yesterday. If he can drive the ball more than last year that’s a big plus.

I’d disagree pitching is a bigger issue than offense. I think a full healthy year of Peavy and Cain will be improvement over Cain of last year. Hudson is Hudson and I don’t see drop off. Vogs was quite serviceable last year and in reduced role could be effective like Petit. Less of Tim the better, but he’s #5 and he and Hector hopefully work something out.
    Barring an injury to someone like Affeldt, pen is solid. If Strickland can be a part of that as another late inning RHP all the better.
    Maybe Sabes is able to make a deal for one of impending FA SPs on market next year during this season, but there are going to be a lot of quality arms out there. Expensive, but available.

Hitters a lot harder to find.

14. Bozo said, on March 31, 2015 at 10:16 am

I like the idea of using the long guys to save the old guys. I wouldn’t do a set inning thing though, I’d let Boch work his magic. But, having the two long guys does make that an interesting idea that could just work.

I could be wrong on this, but I think the thing with Adrianza is that the Giants feel other teams are high on him and that he wouldn’t make it through the Waiver process. I doubt it being that the Giants feel he’s ready, although I doubt that they think he’s toast just yet either.
    I think that if a team did pick him up off of waivers they would have to put him on their 25 man roster (I don’t feel like looking it up, but I think that’s right), so the Giants best bet to slip him through waivers, would be to wait until the 25 man has to be set, because barring injuries, most teams probably wouldn’t want a project player filling a spot on their 25 just before breaking camp. That would be my guess anyway. .

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 31, 2015 at 10:27 am

I think that is the case but the issue with Adrianza, to me at least, is who give a rats ass? Releasing him shouldn’t be this huge hurdle. Especially if he is blocking Duffy who is showing that his bat plays which is the real need in spot starts and coming off the bench. I just think that carrying him for what is becoming 2 years now is a waste.

• stickman said, on March 31, 2015 at 12:04 pm

Interesting take and would apply to the vast majority of teams ~ particularly those who feel they are in the hunt and are tight with their rosters. Exception would be some bottom-dweller jonesing for help at SS.

15. wilcojoe said, on March 31, 2015 at 11:01 am

I think Baggs made a comment that Bochy would prefer Duffy but Sabean realizes there is very little middle infield help in the upper levels. Should something happen to Crawford, they could be in trouble. I have a feeling Duffy will make the club and they will end up taking their chances on Adrianza getting picked up.

It’s funny, the Giants have cut a lot of guys (infielders mostly) that have manged to stick around in the bigs. Ransom, Fransden, and Gillespie to name a few.

16. Flavor said, on March 31, 2015 at 12:13 pm

If guys like Adrianza or Arias (or Hector) were actually clogging up starting positions I would agree with you guys. But they aren’t, they’re clogging up spots on the bench. Guys like Duffy and Susac need to play everyday. If a starting spot opened up due to injury you can bet they’ll call one of those guys up to take it while the *Ariases* do what they do best— warm the bench.

• zumiee said, on March 31, 2015 at 12:22 pm

The problem I have with that is that I don’t think Adrianza’s a major leaguer. He gets overwhelmed by quality major league pitching. And he would get a lot of late-inning PH appearances against quality relievers. Duffy can give good ABs against those same relievers.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 31, 2015 at 12:28 pm

Well, I agree with you on the point about starting spots. With the suspect starting pitching and the way Bochy uses his bench there is a good chance that between Duffy and Sanchez one or both of them will get an AB most games. Mix in days off at 2b, SS & 3b and I could see the super sub getting a lot of playing time. Duffy has shown he can hit where Adrianza has shown pretty much nothing with the stick. As far as Sanchez goes, I am totally fine with him in the backup role. At least he can hit a major league fastball. His brain turning to mush from the inevitable concussion is another issue.

17. zumiee said, on March 31, 2015 at 12:15 pm

Adrianza’s older than I thought he was. He turns 26 this season. He can’t hit ML pitching very well, and his fielding isn’t all that good either. It seems like it’s a good chance that he would pass through waivers OK. And even if he didn’t, I wouldn’t mind. If he goes on to have a nice career for some other team, well that’s alright. I’m glad Gillaspie has found a career in Chicago. It wasn’t happening for him with the Giants. Sometimes the change-of-scenery thing actually works. It’s not happening for Adrianza with the Giants.

• Bozo said, on March 31, 2015 at 1:09 pm

The Giants have had Ehire in the organization since he was 16 or 17. They must have seen something during those years and I guess they think other teams have as well. Like Gillaspie, maybe Adrianza has just ran out of time but it sure feels like the Organization doesn’t want to lose what they’ve invested. Or, I guess it could be a ploy to make other teams think there is something there of trade value.

18. zumiee said, on March 31, 2015 at 12:28 pm

Willie, I wouldn’t say the Kings are doomed. I used to think the SF Giants were doomed, and look how that turned around. 🙂
    The Kings had a nice window in the early 2000s and just weren’t able to get it done, although coming close.
    They’ve missed on some first round draft picks lately, and that’s hurt them a lot. The firing of their coach this season was a mistake. They were heading in the right direction, IMO. They were learning to play the game the right way, and now it’s just back to run and gun. No offense to Karl, but I’m just not a huge fan of his coaching over the years.

• willedav said, on March 31, 2015 at 1:02 pm

I read a history of the Kings, all the way back to Rochester NY and Cincy Royals, KC-Omaha, et al. Lot of bad luck, mgmt., coaches, ownership, etc. Good read, Zum.
      Interesting take on Kevin Johnson too and his work on new arena and other stuff.

I don’t think any of the bench guys, Duffy included, have proven they can hit, but he looks like best option.
      One thing to remember tho is that Pads are jonesing for IF help, esp at SS. While it’s unlikely a guy like Adrianza would make a big diff, acquiring him helps them. Dodgers have IF issues going forward too.
      Pads always seem to F with the Giants; I’d hate to think he or Arias or Sanchez turn into Bucky Dent at inopportune moment.

19. zumiee said, on March 31, 2015 at 12:36 pm

Regarding the starting pitching, Hudson had an interesting comment (IMO) the other day. He said he was just working on pitches, and not pitching to a scouting report on each hitter or trying to set hitters up, explaining why the Giants starting pitchers were giving up a lot of hits in ST.
    Well, we’ll see for sure what’s going on with them all starting next week.

20. Nipper said, on March 31, 2015 at 12:50 pm

Worried? I’m more worried about the heart attacks on this blog when the DH position is introduced to the NL. Yikes some serious counseling must take place!

• willedav said, on March 31, 2015 at 1:09 pm

Nip, that’s funny, but don’t go off the meds, whatever they are, including Yuban.
      Think about this one—all baseball enlarges roster by 2 or 3, union goes along with it (more paying members!), and DH is eliminated, thereby adding more pitchers to each team and increasing chances they bat more often each and every game. Strategy returns full time to AL, and Big Papi reacquaints himself with a glove.

• chipower9 said, on March 31, 2015 at 1:50 pm

It is a beautiful vision. The DH is for pussies…

• wilcojoe said, on March 31, 2015 at 3:45 pm

That’s actually a great idea that makes perfect sense. That’s a win-win-win (Union, clubs, and the fans).

• gianthead said, on March 31, 2015 at 4:13 pm

Totally agree with chi

21. willedav said, on March 31, 2015 at 1:25 pm

Dirt, I don’t think there’s too many ABs to go around at 2b, SS or C.
    Craw played 150 plus last year, and Panik is definitely every day guy too. Panik did well vs. LHP so that’s not a real reason to bench him either.
    Hector would C Lincecum, but even last year with Belt out he and Susac didn’t play much, only 250 ABs btw them all last year. Healthy Belt means less of Posey at 1b.

Mac played a lot last year for Marlins and I think Giants are invested there too.

So that’s the issue—how often will the bench guys get in unless there are struggles from regs? Only real openings are in OF and that’s just til Pence (another ironman) gets back.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 31, 2015 at 2:32 pm

Fair point. Duffy’s agent should call a press conference to address this :).

22. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 31, 2015 at 2:48 pm

Lincecum getting knocked around in his last showing of spring.

23. pawliekokonuts said, on March 31, 2015 at 3:07 pm

Regarding Peavy and Huddy and limiting their innings, did you see that in the Futures game the other day, they used something like five pitchers in five innings and kept the Big Club scoreless? See? My All-Star Pitching Method works.

24. pawliekokonuts said, on March 31, 2015 at 3:08 pm

I see Blanco left the game. Hope he is not hurt.

25. gianthead said, on March 31, 2015 at 4:18 pm

If Susac is behind others in spring because he missed time with a couple of injury issues then it is a no brainer he starts in Sactown. But with the Pence injury I was expecting more games of Belt in left, giving Sanchez instead the chance to hit and maybe he is a guy that teams have coveted in the past and we can package him for an OF.

What OFers are out there and possibly available?

• zumiee said, on March 31, 2015 at 4:25 pm

I’ve ragged on Ethier, but he actually had a nice ST. Hit .300 and looked pretty good. He won’t be happy as a back-up for LA and would probably love a trade. BUT, with that awful contract he has; the Dodgers are reportedly willing to pay half, but that ain’t enough. AND, of course, he’s a Dodger, and the Giants and Dodgers don’t want to help each other. Although….LA did trade Kemp to San Diego, so maybe there’s a wind of change going on with the Dodgers in that regard.

26. pawliekokonuts said, on March 31, 2015 at 4:40 pm

Tell you what: if you’ve got the bases loaded, Justin Maxwell is your guy. According to Wikipedia, his first MLB hit was a PH GS. He’s got something like four grand slams, mostly as a PH. He played for the Syracuse Chiefs, but I was not going to that many games then and do not clearly recall him.

27. pawliekokonuts said, on March 31, 2015 at 4:41 pm

Y’all know I’ve liked Arias. But c’mon. If it’s between Adrianza, Arias, and Duffy, Duffy is the guy.

28. ewisco said, on March 31, 2015 at 4:41 pm

75 miles north of our hotel in Scottsdale. Ducats in hand for tomorrow’s finale. An umbrella drink from nirvana.

• pawliekokonuts said, on March 31, 2015 at 4:46 pm

bask away, bask away

• Flavor said, on March 31, 2015 at 5:01 pm

sweet. Snap some pics, I’ll dump them in the ‘bucket

29. Irish Kevin said, on March 31, 2015 at 4:45 pm

Bench players, we are talking about bench players? Truly a slow baseball day. I say let the games begin. See what the two newbies bring. If one of them truly bombs then the talks should begin. But until a month of real baseball is played the “what ifs” are long and useless.

30. blade3colorado said, on March 31, 2015 at 5:15 pm

I cracked up on this excerpt from an ESPN article about the Cubs Bryant being sent down to the minors:

“Pitcher Jason Hammel added: “Every one of us in this locker room has had something not go the way we want because of the business side of baseball.”

And that was the message to Bryant as he left for the minor league side of the Cubs spring training facility. Maybe there’s some comfort in knowing most players experience these issues. The only difference is Bryant’s situation is more pronounced based on his monster performance at the plate this spring. He leads all hitters with nine home runs to go along with a .425 batting average.

“I told him he needs to have a better spring next time,” Hammel joked.”

• pawliekokonuts said, on March 31, 2015 at 5:29 pm

I do think organizations are all too happy to say: let’s see how you handle this, the adversity, the ego deflation.

31. pawliekokonuts said, on March 31, 2015 at 5:27 pm

Four words: Randy Elliott Cliff Hartung

32. Flavor said, on March 31, 2015 at 5:41 pm

I’m not sure why everyone is making a big deal about Bryant being sent down. The Cubs are making a normal move here. They have 3 major league outfielders. Any of the 3 would fill out our outfield until Pence gets back and then one of them would have to go to the bench (probably Coughlan).
    There is zero reason for the Cubs to start his clock early. He can keep playing down below and come up if they need help later in the year.

• snarkk said, on March 31, 2015 at 9:13 pm

Totally agree.
      Play a guy for two weeks so that he becomes a FA one year earlier and you’re out $20 million or some crazy number a year early?
      Any team does what the Cubs are doing…

33. stickman said, on March 31, 2015 at 6:21 pm

Today’s performance by Timmy is probably about what we can expect. He went five and 2/3, gave up 3 ernies on 10 hits and three walks. That’s likely close to the expected norm for a #5. He most likely will have the occasional barn-burner of a performance, getting hopes up and follow that with a blasted blowout or two. Average out, though, i think today may be the template.

34. Flavor said, on March 31, 2015 at 6:23 pm

Gary Brown….DFA’d

• stickman said, on March 31, 2015 at 6:30 pm

HUUUGE surprise on Brown. Lol. Flipside is that Maxwell makes the team. With him having grown up a Giants fan, like McGiggles, Justin should be one happy camper. Sometimes in this crazy game talent is not everything. The moral or psychological factor can sometimes outweigh purely physical considerations. Not that the guy doesn’t have talent, but he may well have something Brown never could develop, a will to excel and a will to win. He could be one helluva fit for this team. If that transpires, Sabean’s sapient saber strikes again.

35. blade3colorado said, on March 31, 2015 at 6:51 pm

Nothing announced yet, but I’ll be shocked if Duffy isn’t part of the final roster, after reading this (thanks Bozo):

“Matt Duffy picked up an award in the morning and then hit the tiebreaking single in the eighth inning that sent the Giants to a 4-3 victory at Scottsdale Stadium. Duffy, who has a .385 average and 1.083 OPS this spring, was voted the recipient of the Barney Nugent Award (formerly the Harry S. Jordan Award) as the most impressive player in his first major league camp.*

*The award was renamed in honor of Nugent, a beloved Giants trainer from 1993-2003 who passed away last year.

• stickman said, on March 31, 2015 at 8:12 pm

Duffster clearly is a gamer. He seems to have the instincts. Could be a real throwback to the days before the long-ball became the be all and end all. Now that the steroid days are over and we have a relatively untainted commissioner, players like Duffy can show their mettle. He could be a Giant for quite a bunch of while.

36. blade3colorado said, on March 31, 2015 at 6:53 pm

Flavor, do you have a new, improved, super duper troll spam filter? Knock on wood, none of the imbeciles have made an appearance today.

• DJLoo said, on March 31, 2015 at 6:56 pm

You spoke too soon…

• pawliekokonuts said, on March 31, 2015 at 6:58 pm

boom!

• Flavor said, on March 31, 2015 at 7:31 pm

they usually wait till I go to bed at 10pm. Hey, every blog has idiot trolls. Ours our passive mice compared to the others.

37. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 31, 2015 at 7:17 pm

Will Brown clear waivers? If he does will it be his wake up call to make some adjustments or is he just not very good? Dude hit .438 his junior year at Cal State Fullerton.

• Flavor said, on March 31, 2015 at 7:33 pm

At this point, there’s no adjustment he can make. The writing is on the wall. I’ve said this many times before, a lot of hitters can hit a fastball. After A ball, the ball starts to bend in ways they’ve never seen and now can’t hit. I’m not talking about a freaking curveball they’ve seen in college. I’m talking about major league specialty pitches. It starts after A ball. This is what happened to Gary Brown. It happens to a lot of guys…….

38. dirtnrocksnomo said, on March 31, 2015 at 7:50 pm

Yeah, I’ve seen you write that and tend to agree. I only wonder because I have also seen that Brown has resisted coaching at pretty much every level.

39. stickman said, on March 31, 2015 at 8:14 pm

Maxwell for Brown. I’ll take that trade any day of the week.

40. paulinasia said, on March 31, 2015 at 8:15 pm

Wonder who Pence will annoint Bongo Head for 2015…..

• zumiee said, on March 31, 2015 at 9:00 pm

It’ll be tough for someone to out-do Brown as Bongo Head. There was a lot of magic in that Bongo Head.

• DJLoo said, on March 31, 2015 at 9:06 pm

Maybe that’ll be the assignment he’s designated for…

41. snarkk said, on March 31, 2015 at 9:05 pm

Don’t know if somebody had this POV, haven’t read all the posts, to be honest.
    I think Susac cannot be traded, not at all. I believe the main reason Sanchez made the team is that he is Timmy’s personal catcher. When Lincecum is gone next season, so is Sanchez. He gets traded, and Susac moves up to SF as the backup or the starting C. Susac has pop, and is a RH hitter, which is valuable at ATT. Hector can switch hit, but Susac I think is a better all around hitter, and is defensively better than Sanchez. It makes absolutely no sense whatever to trade Susac, especially with Sanchez’ history of concussions…

42. zumiee said, on March 31, 2015 at 9:12 pm

The Giants have generally done very well with first round picks over the last 10 or so years, better than maybe any other team. But Brown was a miss. He was picked 24th in the first round in 2010. I glanced at names from that draft. Bryce Harper went #1 that year. There were a lot of names that I’ve never heard of who were drafted after Brown. It may not have been that good of an MLB draft overall that year. De Grom was drafted in the 9th round by the Mets, so lots of teams, including the Mets, passed on him several times. The Dodgers picked Joc Pederson in the 12th round that year (ouch.) But that means, of course, all the teams, including the Dodgers, passed on him many times in that draft. The draft, overall, can be such a crap-shoot. There are so many variables involved in player development.

• snarkk said, on March 31, 2015 at 9:16 pm

Agreed.
      But, the Giants putrid ability over 15+ years to draft (or sign international) outfielders and develop one or two into solid to very good, everyday MLB outfielders may be less than a chimp’s ability to throw darts at OFer names every year and have at least one make it…

43. zumiee said, on March 31, 2015 at 9:19 pm

A note of trivia: the Marlins snagged Yelich right before the Giants picked.

Pick Player Team Position School
    1 Bryce Harper Washington Nationals Outfielder College of Southern Nevada (NV)
    2 Jameson Taillon Pittsburgh Pirates Right-handed pitcher The Woodlands High School (TX)
    3 Manny Machado Baltimore Orioles Shortstop Brito High School (FL)
    4 Christian Colon Kansas City Royals Shortstop Cal State Fullerton
    5 Drew Pomeranz Cleveland Indians Left-handed pitcher Ole Miss
    6 Barret Loux* Arizona Diamondbacks Right-handed pitcher Texas A&M
    7 Matt Harvey New York Mets Right-handed pitcher North Carolina
    8 Delino DeShields, Jr. Houston Astros Second baseman Woodward Academy (GA)
    9 Karsten Whitson* San Diego Padres Right-handed pitcher Chipley High School (FL)
    10 Michael Choice Oakland Athletics Outfielder Texas–Arlington
    11 Deck McGuire Toronto Blue Jays Right-handed pitcher Georgia Tech
    12 Yasmani Grandal Cincinnati Reds Catcher Miami
    13 Chris Sale Chicago White Sox Left-handed pitcher Florida Gulf Coast
    14 Dylan Covey* Milwaukee Brewers Right-handed pitcher Maranatha High School (CA)
    15 Jake Skole Texas Rangers [Compensation 1] Outfielder Blessed Trinity High School (GA)
    16 Hayden Simpson Chicago Cubs Right-handed pitcher Southern Arkansas
    17 Josh Sale Tampa Bay Rays Outfielder Bishop Blanchet High School (WA)
    18 Kaleb Cowart Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim [Compensation 2] Third baseman Cook High School (GA)
    19 Mike Foltynewicz Houston Astros [Compensation 3] Right-handed pitcher Minooka Community High School (IL)
    20 Kolbrin Vitek Boston Red Sox [Compensation 4] Second baseman Ball State
    21 Alex Wimmers Minnesota Twins Right-handed pitcher Ohio State
    22 Kellin Deglan Texas Rangers Catcher R.E. Mountain Secondary School (Canada)
    23 Christian Yelich Florida Marlins Outfielder Westlake High School (CA)
    24 Gary Brown San Francisco Giants Outfielder Cal State Fullerton
    25 Zack Cox St. Louis Cardinals Third baseman Arkansas
    26 Kyle Parker Colorado Rockies Outfielder Clemson
    27 Jesse Biddle Philadelphia Phillies Left-handed pitcher Germantown Friends High School (PA)
    28 Zach Lee Los Angeles Dodgers Right-handed pitcher McKinney High School (TX)
    29 Cam Bedrosian Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim [Compensation 5] Right-handed pitcher East Coweta High School (GA)
    30 Chevy Clark Los Angeles Angels Outfielder Marietta High School (GA)
    31 Justin O’Conner Tampa Bay Rays [Compensation 6] Catcher Cowan High School (IN)
    32 Cito Culver New York Yankees Shortstop West Irondequoit High School (NY)

• Bozo said, on April 1, 2015 at 7:04 am

And #30, Chevy Clarke (what a great name) was released last year by the Angels. Like you said, the draft can be a crap-shoot.

44. snarkk said, on March 31, 2015 at 9:19 pm

I’m happy for Gary Brown.
    I wouldn’t bet against the guy getting a shot with somebody else, and eventually making it to the big leagues for more than a cup of coffee. The guy can play D, and has wheels. Bat is the issue, as usual. A change of scenery and coaching could make a difference. Wouldn’t be the first time. If he signs with another team, I also wouldn’t be surprised if he badmouths the Giants in some way…

45. snarkk said, on March 31, 2015 at 9:31 pm

As for our starting pitching, after Bum, it’s roll the dice time.
    The rest of ’em scare me. If they can’t go 5+ the first 6 to 8 weeks without getting hammered, it’ll take more than Voggy and Petit to douse the fire. That Pen could get worn early. I’m sticking with my prediction that at least one young arm is going to come up and get significant starting action by mid-season.
    I still don’t understand why Cain didn’t have those bone chips removed earlier during an off season. Now we find out the guy couldn’t bend his arm fully for the better part of two seasons? Any surgery is a risk, but a cleanout isn’t TJ surgery. And, more years with chips banging around in there can damage the joint and other structures. Color me baffled, especially after he got paid $10 million last year to sit in the dugout and cheer…

46. unca_chuck said, on March 31, 2015 at 9:36 pm

For giving him about 20 shots? For getting him a ring?

47. zumiee said, on March 31, 2015 at 9:43 pm

Cain said he’s been pushing the bone chips around in his elbow since he was in high school, and he’s had so many years of success pitching. I think he was afraid surgery might radically alter something, and make things even worse, and, frankly, the jury is actually still out on that. He only had the surgery when he knew he absolutely had no other choice. We’ll see how things pan out.

48. Macdog said, on March 31, 2015 at 10:36 pm

I’m very confident McGehee will do just fine as the starting 5.

49. twinfan1 said, on March 31, 2015 at 10:40 pm

Oscar Taveras was *six* times over the DR blood alcohol limit when he crashed, killing himself and his girlfriend, Edilia Arvelo. Last I read the Cards will be honoring him with a patch on their uniforms.
    There was a conversation the other day on MLBTR about the death of Victor Sanchez and some folks lamented the tragedy of Oscar’s death. While it certainly was a tragedy, here’s what I said- you’ll notice what happened to my comments.

Michael Scott 2 days ago * Removed*
    “RIP, Edilia Arvelo.”

Michael Scott 2 days ago * Removed*
    “MLBTR is moderating my comment because I pointed out that Taveras was 6 times over the DR legal blood-alcohol level “.

Michael Scott 2 days ago * Removed *
    “Taveras’ blood-alcohol level was 6 times over the DR legal limit. The tragedy is that he killed his girlfriend.”

• blade3colorado said, on April 1, 2015 at 6:15 am

Spot on Michael. Unfrickingbelievable they are honoring this guy.

50. 10Boo said, on April 1, 2015 at 4:09 am

According to Brisbee’s analysis, with which I tend to agree, 2-5 seem to be pretty interchangeable question marks. I would expect Yusseh to grab a permanent spot in the rotation sooner rather than later.

51. Nipper said, on April 1, 2015 at 6:31 am

Well it’s April 1st and I’m ready for some “real” ballgames. Enough of practice!

52. Flavor said, on April 1, 2015 at 7:22 am

New thread.

53. willedav said, on April 1, 2015 at 7:25 am

I can see Snarkk’s point of view on Brown, and the Giants have had so many lackluster OF candidates up for cup of coffee it makes you wonder, esp since there are so many homegrown starters everywhere else on the team. Even the D-Backs cut Kieschnick.

But I think in Brown’s case it’s a combo of things—coaching staff wanted him to make changes to things he didn’t want to change due to past success. I think they saw him as a “plateau” guy who is only going to be so good. His success rate for SBs in minors wasn’t good, so you wonder if he was learning anything or was not being taught properly.
    Brown is certainly not blameless here; maybe he really does not have smarts and talent enough to ever be a ml ball player and isn’t coachable. But at this point next move is up to him.