“We’ll Drive the 7 Hours, it’s Worth it….”

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 3, 2015

That’s what some chick said on KTVU this morning when she was asked why she comes to the Bay Bridge Series every year.

Whhhaaaatttttt?

I don’t get the Bay Bridge Series. I don’t get why people would pay money to see a game at AT&T that doesn’t count. I don’t get why that chick drove 7 hours to see the game. I don’t get how that dude survived at sea for 66 days. But I digress…..

I didn’t watch any of the game last night. My main man on the scene in Houston, WilcoJoe, said Peavy looked 10-15 lbs lighter. Anyone else notice that? Why would Peavy lose 10-15 pounds?

There’s another game tonight but I won’t be watching it. Too busy still basking in the glow of yet another NIT championship for the Stanford Cardinal! Yeah baby!!!!!! We’re number 69? Chasson Randle, who by all accounts is a hell of a guy, will always be my sworn enemy. He passed the great Todd Lichti on the all time scoring list at Stanford and for that I will never forgive him…..

1. 10Boo said, on April 3, 2015 at 6:12 am

The Bay Bridge Series is significant only when the two teams play meaningful games, as they did in 1989. Otherwise it’s laughable, except maybe to Peavy.

2. willedav said, on April 3, 2015 at 7:13 am

Flav, I agree winning the NIT and beating teams who weren’t in the Tourney isn’t esp noteworthy.
    Overall I don’t think Stanford was any worse than UCLA or Oregon, a couple teams who barely beat them and then managed to win Tourney games.
    For that I can see a reason to dislike Chasson Randle, who unfortunately did not play well in those games. I remember him missing FTs and blowing late game ops when his team gave him the ball and a chance to win.
    And this is a recurring theme in big games such as Tourney—the leading scorer has an off night, takes bad shots and makes bad decisions and the team goes down with him. Exhibit A–Iowa State and George Niang.

Stanford will lose 3 good seniors but they found a good player in M. Allen, and he has a twin bro that redshirted due to injury. Hennessey, whose injury at end of season hurt them, will return and R. Travis, a good athlete with much potential. Dawkins (who I think is a decent coach) needs to recruit more talent but they can compete with anyone outside U of A and should again be better than Cal…unless Cal gets that 6-10 Ivan Rabb kid who was supposed to announce couple days ago. If he was coming to Cal I think he would have said so by now.

3. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 3, 2015 at 7:14 am

So she’s an A’s fan? Peavy looked thin or sickly to me too. That dude at sea getting rescued is nice news. He was riding on the capsized hull when they found him. Apparently he drank rainwater and ate raw fish to survive.

• Flavor said, on April 3, 2015 at 7:34 am

raw fish for 66 days? I bet his mud sessions were a wild ride.

• stickman said, on April 3, 2015 at 8:34 am

Prolly cured any interest he may have had in Sushi bars. At least it was Atlantic and not Pacific raw fish. No great glow in the dark danger from Fukushima there yet.

• Bozo said, on April 3, 2015 at 8:50 am

The dude was found not far from us. He was very lucky to be spotted, no one knew his destination. With the huge storms we had in January and February he was lucky not to become another boat in the Graveyard of the Atlantic.

4. gianthead said, on April 3, 2015 at 7:15 am

Stanford was in the NIT???

GO BIG BLUE. ..

• xoot said, on April 3, 2015 at 8:10 pm

Go Big Blue!

5. Flavor said, on April 3, 2015 at 7:34 am

Here’s how bad the NIT is: I knew we were gonna win it before it started. KNEW IT.

• willedav said, on April 3, 2015 at 8:18 am

Sure, but Murray St was in, the team everyone thought got a raw deal, and they lost before semis on end of game shot to Old Dominion, team Cards beat. There are at least 20 teams that do get into Big Dance that have zero chance of winning anything from small conferences, so Cards are not 69th best just because they missed out.The Pac 12 wasn’t that great this year except for UA (who could lose multiple starters) and Utah, and Utes lose their best player by far Delon Wright.

What about gals? Van Derveer is old school hardass; when things don’t go her way she gets right after her own players, in public. Which is kind of a bad look, but she means business.
      As Ros, Dubs sideline babe, found out the hard way.
      They can recruit the whole country and she has new talent coming in, hopefully more athletic at G/small forward and more skilled inside, and someone has to take over for Orrange as PG of high profile program, not easy job.

• snarkk said, on April 3, 2015 at 10:35 am

Can we recruit Ros to take over for Amy G? Please?…

6. stickman said, on April 3, 2015 at 8:32 am

Peavy may have passed Timmy on the concern list. Was a bit worried about him before even the “dead arm” business. Nice to see Vogie throw some good innings, though. He may be starting fairly soon. Just hoping Jake’s situation doesn’t linger. If so, Chris Heston may get the first call. He did very well in ST and opened some eyes.

• chipower9 said, on April 3, 2015 at 12:12 pm

Unless Peavy went on the DL, I don’t see Heston getting the call anytime soon. I think Vogey or Petit would take those starts. If he excels in Sacto this year, I can see him battling for a rotation spot next year.

7. willedav said, on April 3, 2015 at 8:38 am

Bad timing last night to turn on game last night just as Sam Fuld (who sucks) blasts one off the wall in RF, Maxwell is out of position to play the carom as it bounces past him, and then Pagan bobbles the pick up as Fuld races home. Which leads the other Kuiper to make snarky comment end of half inning about sloppy play by Giants that they’ve been doing a lot in ST while Fosse is droning on. At least K/K get next 2 I think.

Then Belt hits one out double he pulls into the corner vs. Kazmir, a great AB and something I really hope Belt can do more of, pulling ball down the line at ATT. Belt takes third on heads up play when kazmir pitch bounces away. But with one out Mac and Maxwell can’t bring him in and I’m out.
    This was exactly the thing that I fear most out of this LU—the singles hitters (Mac Panik Aoki/Blanco) are unable to match last year high BA numbers and there isn’t protection behind Posey Belt Pence. This imo is formula for SF scoring fewer runs.

Yes, Cards won last year despite not hitting HRs, but they were 9th in NL in runs scored at 619 vs. Giants 665. They also had 5 guys at .750 OPS, Molina slumped and they picked up Heyward. They also have full season of Wong who should improve on .680 OPS of last year.
    Giants lucky to have more than 3 over .750 OPS this year. The singles hitters plus Crawford were all around .700 last year, Pagan .730.
    Mitigating factors would be full productive season from Pagan and at long last the breakout year from Belt, who returns to form of late 2013 and jacks that OPS up to .850 like Posey.

8. Bozo said, on April 3, 2015 at 8:58 am

For season ticket holders, these games were included in the package (full priced, I might add). I didn’t feel right in selling them, and I didn’t want to go, so I always ended up giving them away to friends or tipping my bartenders with them. Man, did I get some strong drinks after that.

• wilcojoe said, on April 3, 2015 at 9:32 am

Now that’s the way to do it!

• Lurker John said, on April 3, 2015 at 12:07 pm

lol

9. snarkk said, on April 3, 2015 at 10:25 am

A’s hammering the Giants is always a good sign for SF. An A’s win tonight must mean a guaranty of a WC spot for SF …

10. snarkk said, on April 3, 2015 at 10:29 am

Bochy re-upped thru 2019? Sheezus, he’s had a great run, but what is this, college football?…

11. eddacker said, on April 3, 2015 at 10:59 am

Peavy did look different last night. I think most of it was his clean well rested look and maybe some toned muscles. Made him look taller.
    The bay bridge series goes back to Al Rosen days when those two teams did not like each other.

And I see, coming out of spring training, that the Giants have fine tuned there “leaving runners on third base” work from last year

• DJLoo said, on April 3, 2015 at 4:18 pm

The most important guy that they left on third was wearing a Royals uniform…

12. chipower9 said, on April 3, 2015 at 11:00 am

Bochy and Sabean extended through 2019.

Sabean promoted to Executive VP of Baseball Operations.

Bobby Evans is your new GM (saw that coming over the past year or two)…

13. chipower9 said, on April 3, 2015 at 11:05 am

I do not get the whole BB series thing, either. But a lot of people like it. Giddy the fuck up…it is all good. Hell, my daughter always likes to go down and catch one of the games…they just never did anything for me.

Just three more days and they start playing for keeps.

I know it is a long season, and I am not going to trip-out if the boys stumble a bit out the gate, but given that EVERY game in April is in the division:

7 against Zona (3 road, 4 home)
    4 against Dago (all in Dago)
    6 against the Rox (3 and 3)
    6 against the bums (3 and 3)

it would be cool to see them get off to a decent start.

14. Alleykat said, on April 3, 2015 at 11:52 am

Gary Brown claimed be the Cardinals and put on the 40 man roster.

• Chipower9 said, on April 3, 2015 at 12:09 pm

Yep…was just going to post that. Wishing him well…sometimes a player needs a change of scenery.

• cardinal70 said, on April 3, 2015 at 12:14 pm

Came over to ask about this. Don’t know that I’ve heard the name before. What should we expect?

• unca_chuck said, on April 3, 2015 at 12:19 pm

Little to nothing. His claim to fame last year was being the drum pad for Hunter Pence.

• Flavor said, on April 3, 2015 at 12:21 pm

He can’t hit a ball that’s not a fastball and he’s got a homerun swing with warning track power. And more usually, foul ball power.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 3, 2015 at 12:31 pm

Foul Ball Power has serious potential.

• Bozo said, on April 3, 2015 at 1:20 pm

Cardinal70 – He’s a speed guy that hasn’t gotten on much and when he does he gets picked off. Maybe Willie McGee can work some magic with the kid. I thought this was a pretty good read on Brown. http://www.baseballessential.com/news/2015/03/12/can-gary-brown-deliver-upon-once-promising-future/

• wilcojoe said, on April 3, 2015 at 1:52 pm

What Chuck said…He also was the Mets first choice in the Carlos Beltran trade. We said no and gave them Zach Wheeler.

• chipower9 said, on April 3, 2015 at 2:32 pm

He (Brown) also was the Mets first choice in the Carlos Beltran trade. We said no and gave them Zach Wheeler. While Wheeler is out for TJ surgery, I would take him back over Brown in a St. Louis minute.

• DJLoo said, on April 3, 2015 at 4:04 pm

He’s a 5 tool guy. Unfortunately none of them work…

• wilcojoe said, on April 3, 2015 at 4:26 pm

Ha!

15. Irish Kevin said, on April 3, 2015 at 12:32 pm

You guys can be brutally honest at times.

16. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 3, 2015 at 12:36 pm

Bochy can stay as long as he wants as far as I’m concerned. I wonder what this change means for Evans. Will he have any real control? Somehow I doubt it. The more media exposure he gets the less impressed I am with him. He must be real good behind the scenes or something.

• blade3colorado said, on April 3, 2015 at 12:48 pm

“He must be real good behind the scenes or something.”

Frickin’ funny!

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 3, 2015 at 12:57 pm

HAHA. I thought you’d like that, Blade. From what I have heard and read about him his strength is negotiating which is a big part of the job. I don’t know that we can judge him on team building as we don’t know what, if any, influence he’s had on the roster. Being the face of management to the media is pretty key to the role too and I find him lacking. Maybe he’ll get better over time. Appearing more diplomatic than Sabean shouldn’t prove difficult.

• chipower9 said, on April 3, 2015 at 2:34 pm

I have always liked Bobby Evans, and him being the next GM was pretty much a given. But good question re: how much control and say he has on the roster.

• blade3colorado said, on April 3, 2015 at 2:44 pm

Chi, I think the Giants front office is a collaborative effort – I don’t think anyone is authorized to make a final decision until the ownership suits say yea or nay.

• blade3colorado said, on April 3, 2015 at 1:12 pm

I don’t even know who the guy is or what he did before. My mind went 180 degrees south (and naughty) when you said that . . . I was thinking he caught Sabean jacking off the baloney poney in his office or something, thus the promotion.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 3, 2015 at 1:14 pm

lulz, thanks for the horrible mental image.

17. gianthead said, on April 3, 2015 at 1:43 pm

I guess the 2014 Ervin Santana was too good to be true…

• 10Boo said, on April 3, 2015 at 2:01 pm

Just like the 2009 Timmeh.

18. gianthead said, on April 3, 2015 at 1:53 pm

The change in titles probably allows Sabean not to do so much of the day to day drudgery of the job and more time for the consumption of the vino..

• blade3colorado said, on April 3, 2015 at 2:36 pm

GH, are you playing season long fantasy? I’ve decided to take a pass – going to concentrate on daily fantasy at Draft Kings and Fan Duel.

• gianthead said, on April 3, 2015 at 3:21 pm

No serious league either this year. I have not explored Draft Kings really….

19. Nipper said, on April 3, 2015 at 2:05 pm

This series of practice games is like kissing your sister. They’re a waste of time and money. It’s basically PR for the clubs in the local media I guess. Damn I’m agreeing with Chi again. It’s getting to be a bad habit.

20. Bozo said, on April 3, 2015 at 2:22 pm

Being a Bonds guy, I found this article to be fun (not great, but fun). I forgot Peavy was the last guy to pitch to Bonds, I don’t remember seeing this clip of Leyland cussing out Bonds before. How could I not be entertained by an article that leads a clip with this quote, “Here’s Tim McCarver making sex noises because of how hard Barry Bonds can hit a baseball:” For the Bonds fans out there. http://tinyurl.com/myr3abc

• xoot said, on April 3, 2015 at 8:42 pm

I like that article a lot. My older son saw his first Giants game at the Stick when he was 2, in 1992. Apparently he somehow picked up on my concerns about the things happening later that year. He celebrated when I did after hearing that the Florida move was dead. From then on, my kid grew up listening to Giants games on the radio at night, catching the occasional channel 2 casts, and getting stoked about the few trips to Candlestick I could manage back then. So he grew up a Giants fan and a Barry Bonds fan. His passion was so true one of his elementary school teachers who had nosebleed season tickets took him to the 2002 WS. During the regular season, he and I saw a bunch of great Barry Bonds’ blasts at China Basin (number 73 in 2001, the birthday walkoff in 2003, et al.). We still talk about every one. He always wears Giants gear to games, and he still mixes in a Bonds jersey. Greatest player of his era. I think there are a lot of Bonds fans out here.

21. chipower9 said, on April 3, 2015 at 2:43 pm

Cool story, John. I am a huge Barry Lamar fan. I had to laugh when I saw the Tampon Bay t-shirt. I have Giants a bumper sticker stuck away somewhere that says “No Way Tampa Bay.” Good read…thanks for sharing.

On a scale of 10:

Performance 11.0

Style 11.0

Overall 11.0

22. chipower9 said, on April 3, 2015 at 2:56 pm

Love the embedded video clips in the link shared by the Clown, but especially love the battle between Gagne and Bonds. I remember that AB big time. Classic duel…Bonds wins again….

• snarkk said, on April 3, 2015 at 2:59 pm

Bonds vs. Gagne.
      The greatest AB in MLB during the steroid era.
      Roids vs. Roids.
      And, Roids won…

23. chipower9 said, on April 3, 2015 at 3:27 pm

Ervin Santana suspended for 80 games for failed drug test…Jjjjjjuicy!

24. chipower9 said, on April 3, 2015 at 3:32 pm

Sabes provides details on his new gig…

• blade3colorado said, on April 3, 2015 at 4:35 pm

So I read this and I came away with two conclusions: 1. Sabean is embracing the new MLB paradigm of front office roles/hierarchy; and, 2. Billy Beane is sooooooooooo old school. lqtm.

25. snarkk said, on April 3, 2015 at 5:33 pm

Cards putting brown on the 40 man is interesting, that isn’t necessary to claim a guy, or is it? If anybody can fix brown, the Cards can. Krill sai the other day that Brown needed to hit ground balls and get willing to bunt. Strange, never heard Kruk say that about Blanco…

• willedav said, on April 3, 2015 at 6:30 pm

Welll. the Cards signed Bourjos last year in what I thought was a great move and he sucked. Bourjos has shown a lot more at this level than Brown ever has.
      They also have Grichuk, another guy they like a lot.
      Maybe this a wake up call for Brown and he gets it together/figures some things out. Maybe he proves you can’t make a racehorse out of a jackass.

• Flavor said, on April 3, 2015 at 8:03 pm

Great point: and Brown is a poor man’s Bourjos. My God, how bummed would you be if you were that?

26. DJLoo said, on April 3, 2015 at 7:43 pm

They ridiculously overpaid for Peavy. I don’t care if he goes 17-2. No one was giving him that kind of deal…

• Flavor said, on April 3, 2015 at 8:02 pm

well, as has been said before, the Giants will never overpay for free agents from other teams. They’re too busy overpaying their own free agents……

27. zumiee said, on April 3, 2015 at 9:42 pm

Giants winning 4-0, Dodgers losing 6-0. All is right in the baseball world tonight.

• Macdog said, on April 3, 2015 at 9:51 pm

A win! 4-0 final. Buster hit a 3-run bomb in the 1st and Matty with 4 shutout innings.

• 10Boo said, on April 4, 2015 at 4:06 am

High pitch count, poor command, but got his ERA down to 5.40. Sounds like a best-case scenario.

28. zumiee said, on April 3, 2015 at 11:04 pm

The Tigers are eager to start the season.

29. Nipper said, on April 4, 2015 at 12:24 am

Real games……PLEASE!

30. willedav said, on April 4, 2015 at 7:31 am

Clean line from pitchers (even the Sacto ones), Romo finishes off kid C with the Famous Frisbee, and Earl Weaver’s fav play.
    Pagan with a couple hits and nice grab plus a HR thursday, Panik hit one to base of the wall (said Miller/flem on radio)…maybe there’s more pop than meets the eye.

31. stickman said, on April 4, 2015 at 7:32 am

Giants are playing better baseball, tightening up their game. Must mean the real season is immanent.

32. unca_chuck said, on April 4, 2015 at 8:27 am

For all the times I’ve been on baseball reference, I’ve never seeen this part:

Who knoew Lance Berkman was Fat Elvis?

33. unca_chuck said, on April 4, 2015 at 8:28 am

Actually saw Cainer pitch last night a little. Looked good. Nice to see Pagan playing loose as well.

34. stickman said, on April 4, 2015 at 9:23 am

Bully for the Bullies. Five pitchers. Five innings. One hit. No walks. No runs. We are looking at the #1 strength of the defending World Champions looking all tuned in for baseball ~ in just a matter of a couple days.

The much derided Rotation just bumped it up a notch with Cain’s performance yesterday. If he can get it up to 6-7 innings per game by the end of the month we are ready to roll with a great one-two punch. Bold prediction: This year he has a highly positive W-L record, making up for his early years struggling with a horrid offense.

35. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 4, 2015 at 10:42 am

I’m hoping Cain returns to form but his velocity has been down all spring. Maybe he’s taking it easy post surgery and hasn’t really aired it out.

36. Bozo said, on April 4, 2015 at 11:01 am

Not sure if anyone posted Yahoo’s 30 things to know before opening day. Seemed like a lot of same ol’ same ol,’ to me. Yankees blah blah, Dodgers blah blah, Cubs blah blah, Red Sox blahdiddy bleepblah. But two of the items caught my eye, number 28. Metal detectors are required at every MLB park now and number 29. Major League Baseball scheduled every single game to begin at the same time on the final day of the season.
    Metal detectors? Man, the teams must be loving that, the fans will be going to games, and start buying shit earlier Alll games will play at the same time on the last day? Now that could be really nutty, actually that might border insane.
    Here is the article if you are so inclined. http://tinyurl.com/mlv86g6

37. Flavor said, on April 4, 2015 at 12:39 pm

New thread

38. Tommy said, on April 9, 2015 at 9:10 pm

If some one wants expert view regarding running
    a blog afterward i propose him/her to pay a visit this
    weblog, Keep up the pleasant work.