Haters Gonna Hate

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on April 6, 2015

I can’t remember which rapper said that. Maybe it was all of them. But before our season gets underway there are a few things I want to get off my chest. And it has to do with the haters. Specifically, three kinds….:

1) The fans (non Giant). Mostly, they do their hatin’ on the internet. It’s one of the great failings of the internet–people get to say whatever they want nearly without consequence. It took me a while to develop the right mindset to deal with these numbskulls but I feel like I am much better equip to deal with them now than I was 6 or 7 years ago. I can thank my spam filter for that.

If you’re a non-Giants fan, your hate started with Barry Bonds. And I get that. His pompous march toward the HR crown had non-Giant baseball fans worldwide doing a slow burn. So by the time 2010 rolled around there was no way you were going to believe in this team. Three World Series wins later, I can only imagine how slow that burn must be now. And A’s fans have it the worst. This in all unfolding in their backyard. They’re almost forced to watch it. And look where they’re watching it from!    Let me ask you something Giants fans: If I told you that when you attend a game at AT&T Park, the Coke bottle would randomly fire off human shit fireworks in between innings all over the crowd, would that make you more likely or less likely to go to the game? Because that’s basically what’s going on over at O.Co. Human shit spews and oozes all over that place. It’s like Old Faithful gone horribly wrong. At AT&T we enjoy garlic fries and a tasty Sheboygan. At O.Co the vendors are literally selling frozen shitcicles in the stands. Those sound positively awful. I’m not paying 8 bucks for that. If I ever went to an A’s game I ‘d be sure to wear me galoshes and construction goggles. Throw in the fact that they haven’t won a world series in a quarter century and you can see how easily the haters be hatin’ in Shitland (I mean *Oakland*).

The next group of Haters are the writers. Somewhere along the way, writers decided that their job was to predict what was going to happen. And because they get paid to write, they are probably pretty good at writing. Too bad that’s where their skill set ends. Again, I think a lot of the hate goes back to Bonds and the way he treated them. And to that point, I can understand it. But you’re a professional and are being paid to perform sans bias. It’s too bad the national media continues to fail at this.

The final group of haters are the analysts. The former players who get paid to babble into a microphone. These guys are arguably the worst of the 3. Whenever a former player barks into a mic “Listen, I played the game…” I know I’m about to be registered in a class I had no intention of taking. The fact that you *played the game* at the professional level means you understand certain nuances of the game better than i do. But it in no way legitimizes your predictions. These guys are wrong all the time. Guy like Erik Karros are so spectacularly wrong every time it amazes me that they have the balls to keep churning out their drivel publicly.

Now haters, I’m going to warn you in advance. Look away. Avert your eyes. Staring too long at what I’m about to show you could cause “Hater Blindness”. On a side note, I’d like to meet the dipshit that stared so long at the sun he finally went blind. Who does this? Who stares at the sun so long they actually go blind? Anyway…behold:

haters

These are the 3 main reasons that the haters gonna hate. And the best part (for us) is that these 3 reasons will never go away. We might never win another one again. Unlikely, but possible. Through whatever the future holds for the Giants and their fans, these 3 beauties will sustain us. Now if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got some knowing dude head nods to prepare for that I’ll  be doling out later today……

1. Nipper said, on April 6, 2015 at 6:47 am

The beautiful Three. A very beautiful pic.

2. Bozo said, on April 6, 2015 at 6:47 am

This Clown gives a knowing dude head nod, to this Big Flavor Throw Down.
    Represent!

3. Rneys said, on April 6, 2015 at 6:54 am

I can’t even look at ESPN anymore. It just irks me.

4. Alleykat said, on April 6, 2015 at 7:09 am

Haters can keep on hating, I just keep on basking with my knowing dude nod..

5. willedav said, on April 6, 2015 at 7:38 am

Even if you looked at just who got into playoffs last year, 10 teams instead of 30, I still doubt anyone thought Giants would win it. Royals either for that matter, another WC underdog.
    So this year it’s just another trip down that big river in Egypt for all these guys, like 3 in 5 never happened.

6. Lurker John said, on April 6, 2015 at 7:42 am

GO GIANTS!

7. Lurker John said, on April 6, 2015 at 8:05 am

Good topic for opening day, Flav!

I posted the other day that the Giants always have been and always will be dissed by the national media. Your reasons are right on point. But, the one I don’t really get is the Bonds thing. He was and is a polarizing figure. If I wasn’t a Giants fan, I’d probably hate him too. But he’s still the greatest hitter I ever personally saw, steroids or no. No hitter ever (IMO) controlled the pace of the game and spooked pitchers (and managers) like he could. Complete mastery of the strike zone, perfect plate discipline. Steroids don’t give you that, talent and training do. He was hated but he also sold out games everywhere he played. If I sound like a Bonds apologist, so be it. Bonds has been gone for a period of years now, media schmucks. Let it go!

More importantly, the Giants franchise is not that team anymore. They are as different from those Bonds’ teams as chalk and cheese. Different ownership (meaning, the McGowan era is over, God bless him), new manager with the unique ability to adjust his managerial style to the players he has, a team with a completely different makeup and a GM who continues to be pathetically underrated.

So screw the national media dipshits. Eric ‘The Douche’ Karros, you are the king of the dipshits. Hated you as a Dodger, hate you now. How having him cover any Giants game is not a conflict of interest, I’ll never know.
    Giants fans know what they have and that’s all that matters.

/rant

• Chipower9 said, on April 6, 2015 at 8:39 am

Great rant, LJ. Hell, I could have written that! Good stuff…

8. zumiee said, on April 6, 2015 at 8:10 am

Epic post, BF! Very well said.

The guy who went blind staring at the sun was probably Galileo. He was a scientific genius who helped INVENT science; but yeah, starting at the sun with a telescope until he went blind was not his best moment.

• DJLoo said, on April 6, 2015 at 8:20 am

The friggin’ thing is 93 million miles away. I liked his chances…

• Lurker John said, on April 6, 2015 at 9:08 am

LOL

9. stickman said, on April 6, 2015 at 8:16 am

D DAY. This is it. Baseball today, tonight and up to November. Spring is here. Hope springs and leaps and frolics. Not the time for hate or haters. Enjoy. Go Giants!

10. paulinasia said, on April 6, 2015 at 8:19 am

The supposed national media bias against the Giants seems to make fans either pissed off or, on the other hand, happy to be flying under radar yet again. I feel both. I actually have seen a vision (really, this was part of a wacky dream the other night) of what happens now that Sabean and Bochy will be here 5 more seasons (including this one), which is just quite simply win another 3 in 5, thus forever legitimizing with no doubt this era of Giants baseball is special and even requiring the haters (who would still be there) to add a phrase to the end of their “I hate the fucking Giants” along the lines of “but I gotta admit they know how to win”…. Of course, my dream was likely fueled by a bit of snake wine I’d chugged in a local beachside seafood restaurant in good ol’ Vung Tau, Vietnam… Enjoy your Opening Day (and NIght), Flap Universe…..

• chipower9 said, on April 6, 2015 at 8:41 am

Well said, Paul. Tip a snake wine for me!

11. chipower9 said, on April 6, 2015 at 8:45 am

Great post, Flav. Happy Opening Day Flap Universe!

I am past hating on the haters. Ain’t nobody got time for that! I am still, and will continue, to BASK MY ASS OFF!

Three in Five Haters – put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Seriously ready for games that matter. Let’s Get it ON!

12. chipower9 said, on April 6, 2015 at 8:55 am

Not sure if this was mentioned on yesterday’s thread, but was so sad to hear about the passing of Lon “The Gray Panther” Simmons. He will forever be remembered as one of the all-time great Bay Area announcers. RIP. And interesting that he passed on Opening Day.

• paulinasia said, on April 6, 2015 at 9:04 am

Chi, you might want to check out that last thread, some great posts about Lon….

• chipower9 said, on April 6, 2015 at 9:54 am

Will do, Paul. Thanks.

• Lurker John said, on April 6, 2015 at 9:18 am

I’ve got so many great memories of listening to Lon call Giants and 49ers games as a kid. The way his deep voice would swell with excitement as a play developed (witness Steve Young’s epic TD run) was unmatched and I’ve had the good fortune to have listen to various HoF announcers as my family was nomadic. Harry Kalas, Vin Scully, Chick Hearn. Lon had his own distinct style and that may be the best thing you can say about a broadcaster.

His call of the Niners’ game-winning drive in SB XXIII was an instant classic. There was no one better. RIP big guy.

• 10Boo said, on April 6, 2015 at 2:47 pm

Lon and Hank Greenwald were the best ever here.

13. Bozo said, on April 6, 2015 at 10:21 am

I’ll always find room in my heart to dislike the A’s in a huge way, well, I guess it is more of a hate thing. I didn’t mind that they had the “better Stadium”, I was very comfortable going to the Stick but their fans always ragging at me about the Giants and talking shit about Candlestick, yes, that did piss me off. And now that they sit in a toilet bowl and use a DH, I say fuck em. I guess with Tony La Russa and Dave “Lucille” Stewart as part of the DBacks organization now, my dislike of that team has grown some more. Go out and rip Collmenter a new ass tonight, Giants.

• Lurker John said, on April 6, 2015 at 10:33 am

Bozo, you do have a way with words. lol

14. zumiee said, on April 6, 2015 at 10:47 am

Sandoval has an interesting opening day gig, going against Hamels, a lefthander. We’ll see how Sandoval’s righthanded swing is doing.

15. chipower9 said, on April 6, 2015 at 10:58 am

Woo Hoo! In the article “A look at 15 bold predictions for the 2015 MLB season” at number 13, our Giants are picked to miss the playoffs:

Prediction #13: The defending champion Giants won’t make the playoffs

SEEDS OF DOUBT: 1) For this decade, the Giants have won the World Series for every even-numbered year (2010, 2012, 2014).

2) For the last three odd-numbered seasons (2009, 2011, 2013), San Francisco has a so-so average of 83.3 wins — with no playoff appearances.

3) During spring training, Giants skipper Bruce Bochy publicly scolded his club, lamenting their readiness for the regular season.

4) It’s one thing to blame the baseball gods for the Giants’ quirky dynasty (and yes, three titles in five years qualifies as that). It’s another to appreciate how the Dodgers, Cardinals, Nationals and Pirates are presumed locks for the postseason … leaving the Giants, Marlins, Mets, Reds, Brewers and vastly improved Padres competing for the final slot.

Right where we want to be…under the radar…

• unca_chuck said, on April 6, 2015 at 11:05 am

Pads just got Kimbrel from the Braves. Jeez. They look good on paper. Let’s roll. . .

In case you are interested I posted a quick tribute to Lon Simmons s on my blog, with 2 of my favorite calls.

Ninersforever.com

16. blade3colorado said, on April 6, 2015 at 11:09 am

Tanaka is getting lit up. Encarnacion and Martinez (Detroit game) have bombs already. Glad I kept one share of Martinez in a fantasy league LU . . . (pissed I took him out of 2 others I had).

• blade3colorado said, on April 6, 2015 at 11:15 am

Going to be a very, very long season for the Yankees IMO. Boss is turning over in his grave at what his two imbecilic sons have wrought.

• Macdog said, on April 6, 2015 at 11:49 am

Very strange seeing A-Rod bat #7, but he has a walk and a single so far.

17. twinfan1 said, on April 6, 2015 at 11:41 am

OK- Call me a Homer, a Polly, a demented old fart- I can take it…..

NL West- Giants, Pads, Bums, Snakes, Rockheads
    NL Central- Cards, Cubs, Bucs, Reds, Brewskis
    NL East-Gnats, Mets, Fish, Phils, Tommy Hawks
    WCs-Pads, Cubs
    NL MVP- Heyward
    CY- Who else? Paul Bunyan AKA MadBum
    NL ROY- Don’t shoot me, Bro. Jimmy did it…Joc Pederson
    NL Pennant- Jints
    WS-Jints
    MOY-Michael Scott- you try managing 8 feral cats while driving away 27 more.

• twinfan1 said, on April 6, 2015 at 11:45 am

BTW, Panda’s Guys in the AL East. Showdown in October

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 6, 2015 at 12:22 pm

A real Polly would have gone with Duffy as NL ROY.

• twinfan1 said, on April 6, 2015 at 12:36 pm

I wasn’t sure if he was available and also I’m not sure that he’ll start.

• Bozo said, on April 6, 2015 at 5:46 pm

I gotta say, I agree 100% with your picks Twin. Demented old farts unite.

18. Macdog said, on April 6, 2015 at 11:45 am

Another epic post. I’m just gonna shake, shake, shake it off. Let’s Go Giants!

19. dirtnrocksnomo said, on April 6, 2015 at 12:23 pm

Humm Baby

• wilcojoe said, on April 6, 2015 at 12:33 pm

Let’s do it again

• chipower9 said, on April 6, 2015 at 12:54 pm

…It’s Gonna Be Fun

20. Irish Kevin said, on April 6, 2015 at 12:39 pm

This was so much fun to read BF. I have to say that ESPN have the worst anal-ysts I have ever listen to. Except for Chris Berman, I know, I know, his home run call is old to listen to, but he is a Giants fan, so he is okay in my little world. Now Hate is such a strong word. So let’s go with I have a strong dislike for some teams. Dodgers and A’s are at the top of my list. This Giants Team is almost like the Niners, we really don’t know what this team is. I figure sometime in June is when we all will know about, CAin, Timmy, Aoki, and Maghee. Like I said on the last thread, Let’s PLAY BALL!!

Oh and GO DUKE
    Sorry about Kentucky Gianthead, would have been fun to watch

• chipower9 said, on April 6, 2015 at 12:55 pm

Fuck ‘Em Bucky – Go Badgers!

• Irish Kevin said, on April 6, 2015 at 2:45 pm

Chuck, no, no you spell that B L U E D E V I L S. Go Blue Devils.

21. blade3colorado said, on April 6, 2015 at 12:48 pm

Frickin’ Rockies think they are at Cape Coors this afternoon.

• Bozo said, on April 6, 2015 at 1:14 pm

With 3 hits and a couple of them Doubles, Tulo might hit the DL before the end of the game.

• blade3colorado said, on April 6, 2015 at 1:32 pm

I wouldn’t doubt it. Cargo too.

22. chipower9 said, on April 6, 2015 at 1:20 pm

Love this first sentence from an article on CSNBA…”The Los Angeles Dodgers set a baseball record with a $270 million Opening Day payroll, including nearly $44 million going to players no longer on the team.” And ESPECIALLY, the 44 mil going to players NO LONGER ON THE TEAM.

• blade3colorado said, on April 6, 2015 at 1:32 pm

They’re the “New” Yankees . . . without the trophies. lqtm.

• chipower9 said, on April 6, 2015 at 2:17 pm

Love that “without the trophies.” Priceless…

23. Bozo said, on April 6, 2015 at 1:36 pm

From the Giants FB page, I think this is what we’re all talkin’ about.

24. Nipper said, on April 6, 2015 at 2:35 pm

The only hate to have is “HATE TO LOSE!”

25. Irish Kevin said, on April 6, 2015 at 2:43 pm

From Henry S

PHOENIX — Happy Opening Day, folks. Or should I say, Opening Night.

The first order of business will be finding out who pitches for the Giants in Game 2 of the season Tuesday night.

It was supposed to be Jake Peavy. Then, general manager Bobby Evans said on MLB Network Radio on Sunday that Ryan Vogelsong might pitch that game to delay Peavy, and the Giants would go with a six-man rotation the first time through.

But that is not set in stone. I’ve gotten the sense that manager Bruce Bochy still needs to discuss this with Peavy.

The idea is to move the struggling starter back to Petco Park, more of a pitchers’ park, for his first game. It’s also Peavy’s former home for many years, to add comfort for the former Padre.

Return here throughout the day for pregame updates, including the starting lineups and all other important Opening Night notes.

The game begins at 7:05 p.m.

26. Macdog said, on April 6, 2015 at 3:03 pm

I don’t plan on making this a daily thing, but . . . Sandoval 0-5, 3 Ks.

27. DJLoo said, on April 6, 2015 at 3:05 pm

1B Brandon Belt (L)
    3B Casey McGehee (R)
    SS B. Crawford (L)
    RF Gregor Blanco (L)
    P Bumgarner (R)

30. DJLoo said, on April 6, 2015 at 3:21 pm

I think I read somewhere that Bochy has no plans of using Aoki in RF ever if possible…

31. Flavor said, on April 6, 2015 at 3:38 pm

Dan Uggla starting for the Nat’s today? Shockingly, he went 0-3 with a K

• Bozo said, on April 6, 2015 at 4:08 pm

Will he still be with the Nats when we are there in July?

• 10Boo said, on April 6, 2015 at 4:21 pm

No, they’ll have traded him to SF.

• unca_chuck said, on April 6, 2015 at 4:29 pm

And you will be traded to Plaschke’s blog for a dickhead to be named later.

• Flavor said, on April 6, 2015 at 4:38 pm

I’m ready to see the newest ring. Bring it on. Time for more bling on the right side of the blog

• blade3colorado said, on April 6, 2015 at 4:41 pm

Bozo, he will probably be gone when Rendon returns from the DL.

• DJLoo said, on April 6, 2015 at 5:04 pm

I hope they’ve considered my ring suggestion: A diamond likeness of Bumgarner’s face…

32. Lurker John said, on April 6, 2015 at 5:11 pm

Big o-fer for the fat panda.

33. blade3colorado said, on April 6, 2015 at 5:24 pm

“And you will be traded to Plaschke’s blog for a dickhead to be named later.”

Nice one Unca. 🙂

34. Flavor said, on April 6, 2015 at 5:26 pm

if the Giants doctors fucked this up….

• DJLoo said, on April 6, 2015 at 5:28 pm

His forearm does look tight…

• Alleykat said, on April 6, 2015 at 5:37 pm

Maybe we should tie a rope to his forearm and pull in opposite directions Loo, might help loosen up his tightness.

35. Alleykat said, on April 6, 2015 at 5:31 pm

Great just what we don’t need: Matt Cain getting an MRI ( Forearm tightness) Bochy says he’s iffy for his start Wed.
    Shit we might need a 7 man rotation to start this season..

• 10Boo said, on April 6, 2015 at 6:25 pm

Career .500 pitchers aren’t hard to replace.

36. DJLoo said, on April 6, 2015 at 5:36 pm

Heston and Crick could be in the rotation by July…

• Flavor said, on April 6, 2015 at 5:38 pm

that might be a blessing in disguise. If these guys are studs they might be ready. Heston could take the ball on Wednesday.

• DJLoo said, on April 6, 2015 at 5:41 pm

Can’t ride the geezer train forever…

• blade3colorado said, on April 6, 2015 at 5:44 pm

Also, be glad we didn’t trade any of our pitching prospects for Hamels (who got lit up today for 4 HRs).

• Alleykat said, on April 6, 2015 at 5:46 pm

Let me get this right, that’s Chris Heston not Charlton Heston?

• Alleykat said, on April 6, 2015 at 5:41 pm

Yeah I was thinking Crick for sure by the end of June/mid July.
      He will get 10 starts easy with this broken down bunch..

37. blade3colorado said, on April 6, 2015 at 5:43 pm

Amazing how many MLB players are on the DL to open the season – A record 115 major league players.

38. 10Boo said, on April 6, 2015 at 5:47 pm

Who’s going to the Cane/Peevy memorial service?

• Flavor said, on April 6, 2015 at 5:49 pm

I’m not in the mood for your stupid shit tonight. There’s gonna be a memorial service in the spam filter for 10Boo if he doesn’t STFU and go away for the night

39. Flavor said, on April 6, 2015 at 5:49 pm

Kevin Correia just released. Just sayin’

40. DJLoo said, on April 6, 2015 at 5:49 pm

That would make him the second Crick in Giants history.
    The first was in Jesus Alou’s neck…
    I still remember the thrill of opening a pack of baseball cards and seeing this one:

• DJLoo said, on April 6, 2015 at 5:50 pm

Is his glove on the wrong hand???

• Alleykat said, on April 6, 2015 at 6:02 pm

Always got a kick out of Jesus Alou in the batters box Loo.
        His neck was always turning and teams/ especially catchers thought he was stealing their signs and maybe he was, though he was the worse hitter of the Alou brothers so it obviously didn’t help..

41. Alleykat said, on April 6, 2015 at 5:55 pm

Don’t think Bochy was ready to tap in to Vogs& Petit this early to start for Peavy& Cain..definitely need those 13 pitchers now..

42. Flavor said, on April 6, 2015 at 6:11 pm

here ya go, Loo. This was right in Loo’s wheelhouse. And my tribute to Lon about an hour before the season that he’ll never see. The last game he saw was the Giants winning the world series. How cool is that?

• 10Boo said, on April 6, 2015 at 6:27 pm

Lon was one of the best, but I preferred Greenwald.

• Flavor said, on April 6, 2015 at 6:34 pm

you’d prefer a 2 for the price of 1 shitcicle at O.Co

• 10Boo said, on April 6, 2015 at 6:37 pm

They were both excellent, but Hank had a better sense of humour.

• snarkk said, on April 6, 2015 at 11:16 pm

Greenwald bored me quite often.
        Didn’t dislike him, but wasn’t sad when he got canned…

• DJLoo said, on April 6, 2015 at 7:45 pm

Thanks, Flav. Never got to hear Lon except for the occasional highlight. Sounds like he really enjoyed a good brawl…

43. Flavor said, on April 6, 2015 at 6:18 pm

this is clever
    Ann Killion ‏@annkillion 14m14 minutes ago
    Hazy skies over the Coliseum. I call it “sunny grey.”

44. gianthead said, on April 6, 2015 at 6:27 pm

Bring on opening night….

45. Flavor said, on April 6, 2015 at 6:46 pm

LOLKNBR ‏@LOLKNBR 51s52 seconds ago
    Kuip: “Right now, Lon and Bill and Russ are doing a game and having fun and laughing. And we just hope that game doesn’t end up in a tie.”

46. stickman said, on April 6, 2015 at 6:59 pm

EVerybuddy ready for Giants baseball?

47. Flavor said, on April 6, 2015 at 7:10 pm

Baseball. Ok let’s go.

48. Flavor said, on April 6, 2015 at 7:11 pm

Amy G looks 20 years older, what’s wrong with her?

• willedav said, on April 6, 2015 at 7:57 pm

She opened her mouth.
      Otherwise she’s fine.

• SanDawg said, on April 6, 2015 at 9:00 pm

That’s pretty damn funny, Willie!

Along these same lines, is it me, or is Tracy Wolfson getting hotter as she gets older? I mean, she used to look good to me, but now I find her totally irresistible.

And while I’m critiquing people’s looks, I think Timmy looks cool with long hair. Crawdad, not so much.

49. Bozo said, on April 6, 2015 at 7:39 pm

Nice catch by Angel. Good to see.

50. Bozo said, on April 6, 2015 at 7:50 pm

Tough start for Kelly tonight.

51. Alleykar said, on April 6, 2015 at 7:56 pm

Yeah Kelly is gonna struggle, just doesn’t have the instincts of Flannery, who Im gonna miss except when he’s sending Buster home..

52. paulinasia said, on April 6, 2015 at 8:10 pm

Certainly can’t complain about 1 thru 3 atop the batting order so far, 5 for 6, good start….

• 10Boo said, on April 6, 2015 at 8:19 pm

My slow-pitch team once hit back-to-back triples without scoring. This team looks as if they’re capable of hitting four or five consecutive singles without scoring.

53. Irish Kevin said, on April 6, 2015 at 8:25 pm

What a NCAA Championship game!! Duke are Champions

• Alleykat said, on April 6, 2015 at 8:45 pm

Yeah it was a good game Kev, even though Duke won, not a Coach K fan.
      Badgers just went cold down the stretch after having a big lead, but hand it to Duke who clamped down.

• Macdog said, on April 6, 2015 at 9:21 pm

Duke should make sure the refs get rings, too.

54. Alleykat said, on April 6, 2015 at 8:40 pm

Man, Pagan is smoking line drives all night 3-3, Panik hot as well 3 hits,Aoki 2 hits all good signs..

55. pawliekokonuts said, on April 6, 2015 at 8:40 pm

If haters gonna hate, then lovers gonna love. I heart Giants. CHAMPEENS!

56. pawliekokonuts said, on April 6, 2015 at 8:52 pm

I love how in a flash all spring training stats become meaningless.

• Alleykat said, on April 6, 2015 at 9:01 pm

Agree P/A
      Giants as smooth as silk tonight as the “Defending World Series Champions”

57. pawliekokonuts said, on April 6, 2015 at 8:54 pm

Stomp those Snakes!!! 5-1 SF.

58. Alleykat said, on April 6, 2015 at 8:57 pm

Right call on Crawdaddy’s double / slash error into triple for 2 RBI’s play, Trumbo looked like Aoki against Panik in the W/S butchering that play

59. SanDawg said, on April 6, 2015 at 9:06 pm

I was pulling hard against Coach K, but I gotta hand it to him. 5 titles in this day and age is damn impressive.

60. SanDawg said, on April 6, 2015 at 9:07 pm

Do we have any idea who is pitching for us tomorrow? Please don’t say Mike Kickham.

• Alleykat said, on April 6, 2015 at 9:21 pm

Heard it’s Voglesong Dawg..still a better choice then Todd Wellemeyer

61. James said, on April 6, 2015 at 9:15 pm

Johnny D. working for MLB? Do they have a program for ex-cons?

62. 10Boo said, on April 6, 2015 at 9:21 pm

After Bummy and Coalminer, these rotations are pretty much identical.

63. Alleykat said, on April 6, 2015 at 9:31 pm

Not a bad night for the A’s as well.
    7-0 lead and Sonny Gray working on a no-hitter thru 7 innings..

• Macdog said, on April 6, 2015 at 9:32 pm

Rua single ends no-no.

64. zumiee said, on April 6, 2015 at 10:04 pm

It’s easy to second guess, but I’m not sure why Machi started the 7th instead of Affeldt.

65. Lurker John said, on April 6, 2015 at 10:07 pm

Machi is a goddamn gas can.

66. James said, on April 6, 2015 at 10:10 pm

It was Lopez who started the inning by giving up a single.

• zumiee said, on April 6, 2015 at 10:13 pm

Yeah, good point. But it still seemed like an odd choice. But I’m probably just second guessing.

67. zumiee said, on April 6, 2015 at 10:11 pm

Exhale. Nice job from Affeldt.

68. Bozo said, on April 6, 2015 at 10:11 pm

Yeesh, tough 8th. Get a few more runs there, Giants.

69. Bozo said, on April 6, 2015 at 10:31 pm

First win in the books. First 1:30 AM ending for me.

• pawliekokonuts said, on April 6, 2015 at 10:36 pm

yup

70. zumiee said, on April 6, 2015 at 10:31 pm

Ha! We’re Giants fans, we don’t expect things to be easy. 🙂

• Bozo said, on April 6, 2015 at 10:34 pm

Cheers, Zumiee.

71. pawliekokonuts said, on April 6, 2015 at 10:35 pm

torture version 4.0

72. zumiee said, on April 6, 2015 at 10:38 pm

You East Coast Giants fans totally rock! Awesome job staying up to the wee hours!

73. zumiee said, on April 6, 2015 at 10:39 pm

Is it just me or is Flannery doing a good job in his broadcasting gig so far? He sounds really comfortable doing it.

• James said, on April 6, 2015 at 11:06 pm

Agree, he sounds like he might provide an insight or two that isn’t stale or wrongheaded.

74. Macdog said, on April 6, 2015 at 10:41 pm

Won for Lon.

75. sportdude said, on April 6, 2015 at 11:12 pm

Picture is classic Craig. Thanks. Feeling better already!

76. snarkk said, on April 6, 2015 at 11:17 pm

Cain getting elbow MRI for forearm tightness after his last start. Uh oh.
    Looks like they may bring up a minor leaguer about 3 months sooner than I thought…

77. snarkk said, on April 6, 2015 at 11:27 pm

Boy, on the highlights, Romo grooved that one for Lamb. Hit me fastball knee high outside part of the plate. Let’s not throw that one again anytime soon.
    Pagan — nice to have him playing again. Adds the energy. Just not sure how batting 3rd will work for him, he’s not your prototypical 3rd hole guy.
    Roberto Kelly already with a botched stop sign to Aoki…

78. Macdog said, on April 6, 2015 at 11:45 pm

“The Giants either will move up Tim Lincecum to take Cain’s turn on Wednesday or call up a minor leaguer, with right-hander Chris Heston the top candidate.” Given Timmy’s history vs. Goldy, I’d take my chances with Heston.

79. snarkk said, on April 6, 2015 at 11:55 pm

I’m not going to linger over saying good bye to Lon. Not his way, that’s for sure, to blubber all over him.
    Suffice to say I will miss him mightily, or just the thought of him being around to jump into the
    Giants booth to say a barbed joke or two. As Chuck said, he was with the Niners a long time, in several stints, and with the A’s for almost as long as the Giants, on full time comparison. But, funny, as a huge Giants fan more than Niners I just always thought of him as a Giants icon, the guy that helped get me into being a Giants fan as a kid, and helped me through, more than anyone, the hell of being a Giants fan in some of worst wilderness years of the late 70s. His one season teamed with Al Michaels in ’76 may have been the best one season of baseball radio bcasts I’ve ever heard. Maybe I’m waxing too nostalgic, but they were awesome together, and had to be, because the Giants sucked, as usual (74-88). Never was more fun heard in the Giants booth than from those two pros. “What a story it would be” if the Giants could win the World Series. Now, look what happened. Lon, I will miss you…

• zumiee said, on April 7, 2015 at 12:09 am

It’s interesting to think of that. During the bad seasons, what we were enjoying were the radio broadcasts of the games, as opposed to just the games themselves. Lon was such an entertaining broadcaster.

• snarkk said, on April 7, 2015 at 12:29 am

Exactly, zum. Baseball’s laconic pace lends itself to favor bcasters who can tell a story, not just tell you what just happened. Lon was good at the storytelling, no question about it. If you can keep a fan listening when the game sucks or is out of hand, then you’re a good sportscaster…

• 10Boo said, on April 7, 2015 at 7:17 am

With all due respect to Lon, Greenwald was the best during lost cause seasons.

• snarkk said, on April 7, 2015 at 11:44 pm

Due respect to Hank, he couldn’t hold Lon’s mike…

80. zumiee said, on April 7, 2015 at 12:19 am

I’ve been reading some back issues of National Geographic that I’ve fallen behind on. In the February 2015 issue, there are a lot of great articles, including one about mites. Rob Dunn’s article is pretty interesting, and kind of disturbing. Biology is a trip.
    He are some excerpts from his article about mites:

“They are so small that a dozen of them could dance on the head of a pin. They are more likely, though, to dance on your face, which they do at night when they mate, before crawling back into your follicles by day to eat. In those caves mother mites give birth to a few relatively large mite-shaped eggs. The eggs hatch, and then, like all mites, the babies go through molts in which they shed their external skeleton and emerge slightly larger. Once they’re full size, their entire adult life lasts only a few weeks. Death comes at the precise moment when the mites, lacking an anus, fill up with feces, die, and decompose on your head.”

“Mites are specialists that occupy every conceivable niche, including the trachea of bees, the shafts of feathers, the anuses of turtles, the stink glands of bugs, the digestive systems of sea urchins, the lungs of snakes, the fat of pigeons, the eyeballs of fruit bats, the fur around vampire bat penises. Living in these habitats necessitates special hairs, chemicals, foot pads, mouthparts, and tricks.”

“Yet the marvels of mite transport pale in comparison with the idiosyncrasies of mite reproduction. Some clone themselves. Others eat their mothers. Others mate with their sisters while still inside their mothers and then, during birth, kill their mothers. In the nostrils of hummingbirds and the ears of moths lurk Greek tragedies of small, strange lives.”

81. DJLoo said, on April 7, 2015 at 4:17 am

Thanks for the pleasant breakfast reading, Zumite…

82. Flavor said, on April 7, 2015 at 5:52 am