Same Old Marlins

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 8, 2015

Not much to say about last night except that it was another Miami smack down. Taken out to the woodshed again by the Marlins. Had our hides tanned. Beatch-slapped right across the…..whatever, you get the idea.

And tonight, the show stopper. The loss ender. Mr No Hitter himself! Be careful with those fastballs in the zone to Big Mike.

1. Carstie Clausen said, on May 8, 2015 at 7:12 am

Familiar pattern from this Jekyll n’ Hyde team. Crapped out and hit the sack last night after the bottom of the third. Hudson getting lit up like a Xmas tree while the Giants just couldn’t get anything going. Yes, Miami does seem to have some ju-ju on the Gigantes. Heading up to bed i figured the final score would be something like 7-1. So we got one more than i expected. Just that kinda feeling on that kinda game.

Timmy tonight. Total conundrum there. He could get banged up bad or could be lights out. Seems like this business of being world-beaters for a span of games and then barely able to beat little leaguers might be a template for this season. Nice to see Pence going on rehab. We need the spark.

2. unca_chuck said, on May 8, 2015 at 7:47 am

Yeah, you can change all the players, which the Marlins certainly did 3 times over, but you get the same result. Thing is, is we don’t seem to snap back to reality as quick as we used to.

Not feeling it tonight either.

3. zumiee said, on May 8, 2015 at 7:47 am

Over the years, a few people have told me I look like Alan Alda.
    —-
    Great Emmylou/Rodney show last night. And we saw Joan Baez walking around inside the Fillmore before and after the show, which is kinda cool.
    —-
    I caught some of the Giants game on KNBR’s midnight replay on the drive home. Jon Miller can even make a bad game pretty entertaining.

• Flavor said, on May 8, 2015 at 7:54 am

Joan Baez— palo alto high chick

• willedav said, on May 8, 2015 at 8:06 am

Joc Pederson has 9 HRs…unbelievable. If this Paly kid comes back to haunt SF for a while, that will suck.

• sandog said, on May 8, 2015 at 8:42 am

Yes, it will. 9 homers? Plus he seems to draw a walk every time I watch the guy bat. A good friend of mine if a huge Dodgers fan. He says it is very simple for him…..anything less than a World Series Championship is considered a bust of a season and just adds to the embarrassment of going so long without a ring.

• ewisco said, on May 8, 2015 at 10:43 am

Stevie Nicks – Menlo Atherton High. Los Altos, not so much though the current Miss America graduated a couple of years ago from my sons high school, Las Lomas. kind of weird actually.

• unca_chuck said, on May 8, 2015 at 11:16 am

Go Knights!

• ewisco said, on May 8, 2015 at 12:13 pm

once a king, always a king. once a Knight is enough!

4. willedav said, on May 8, 2015 at 8:19 am

OK, Pence plays in Sac tonite, and Baggs will be at Raley and have a book signing somewhere.
    They are talking about “extended” stay there for Pence, and you gotta wonder how much AAA ball he can handle before he declares himself ready to roll. He is truly an inspiration to watch, but…

Having missed all this time and without benefit of ST, it’s likely to take a while for him to get everything back. Couple weeks maybe in Sac, plus couple more to get comfortable hitting ml pitching, now it’s June 50 games in.

What I’m saying is Pence by himself cannot turn things around, that has to be a team wide thing. Giants are not all of a sudden going to turn into offensive juggernaut unless those around him pick it up too.

They can’t stay 14th in the league in runs and survive with this pitching staff.

• unca_chuck said, on May 8, 2015 at 8:39 am

A very Jamesian post there, Willie D!

This team is like last year’s just with less power. Then again, the power disappeared for long stretches LAST year. No reason to think it gets any better. The hope is with guys like Aoki and Pagan staying healthy that the slappers will hopefully keep things rolling.

We are back to Buster doing next to nothing power-wise, Belt has been hitting great with no support behind him. Crawfish is a bit surprising, but Maxwell? A big surprise.

5. giants54 said, on May 8, 2015 at 8:23 am

Marlins have been a pain in the ass. 1997 and 2003? argggh.
    Last 4 yrs….
    2014 Giants went 4-3,
    2013, 3-4
    2012, 2-5 including getting swept at home
    2011, 2-4, swept again at home,

If my math is right, That’s 11-17, counting last night.

Going back further
    2010, jints 5-1.
    2009, SF 4-3 (what’s with all the 4 game sets?)

So, overall 2009-2015, stinking rotting fish up 21-20.

6. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 8, 2015 at 8:49 am

One thing about the Giants going back a while is once the opposition scores 4 runs you can move on to other things for the evening.

I’m guessing Pence is back for the dodger series on 19 May.

7. Bozo said, on May 8, 2015 at 8:56 am

29 games in and BCraw still leads the team in HRs and RBIs, he also leads the team in SLG and OPS not to mention he’s played all 29. I say bat him 4th for awhile, let him muscle up with Posey hitting behind him.

8. Irish Kevin said, on May 8, 2015 at 9:04 am

This is what you get when you haves 38 year old and a 40 year old pitchers. In other words you don’t know what you are going to get from one game to the next.

• chipower9 said, on May 8, 2015 at 12:42 pm

Fuck, we have had that with younger pitchers…see example one: Big Time (or Not So Big Time) Timmy Jim.

9. zumiee said, on May 8, 2015 at 9:33 am

The Dodgers seem able to keep their trend of the last few years of beating up on bad teams, and just sort of breaking even against good teams. That hasn’t been a recipe for getting to the World Series so far, though.
    2015 so far, Dodgers vs.:
    Rockies: 3-0
    Mariners: 3-0
    D-Backs: 4-2
    Brewers: 2-2
    Padres: 4-2
    Giants: 2-4
    _____
    18-10

And, of course, they play the Rockies this weekend.

10. Lurker John said, on May 8, 2015 at 9:37 am

The Marlins have been a thorn in the Giant’s side since their first year in the NL. That’s a part of baseball that’s always baffled me, how one franchise can be the nemesis of another over a long period of years. Different players, lineups, pitching staffs, sometimes it doesn’t matter. Weird.

I saw a 3 game set at the Stick in ’93, right in the thick of that amazing pennant race. The Giants and Marlins had split the first 2 games and the Marlins were up by a run in the 9th 2 outs in game 3. It took a Robby Thompson 2-run homer off Brian Harvey to win that game and the series. The red hot Braves came in right after that and swept them. You guys know the rest. Point being, that was a bad Marlins team and they still made things difficult for the Giants.

• wilcojoe said, on May 8, 2015 at 11:10 am

Hank Greenwald’s call of that Thompson homer was incredible. The way his voice cracked as the ball travelled over the fence still sticks in my mind today.

• Lurker John said, on May 8, 2015 at 2:00 pm

Nice memory!

• Lurker John said, on May 8, 2015 at 2:34 pm

That was an amazing finish to watch. Thompson was probably my favorite player, it was Bonds’ first season and the Giants were having an amazing year. My brother and I had gone to SF specifically to watch the Giants. We were sitting in box seats down the left field line, not all that far from the fence. Robby caught all of the pitch from Harvey, who was a very good closer at the time, and sent it sailing over our heads and over the fence, an arching, majestic shot.

It was a gorgeous day at the Stick, with no wind and quite warm. I’ll say it to the day I die, Candlestick Park could be a beautiful place to watch a ballgame on days like that. High skies, grass the color of gleaming emeralds, rabid Giants fans, cold beer; tough to beat that combo. Skip Carey used to bitch like a little girl about the park every time the Bravos came to SF. I think I still have the ticket stub from that game somewhere.

Of course, the Braves slowly reeled the G’s in with a mind-boggling two months of baseball. 103 wins and no playoffs. I still can’t get my head around that one. Cool that you remember that game, Joe.I wish I’d heard Greenwald’s call. Those were the last games I ever saw at the Stick.

11. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 8, 2015 at 9:38 am

It’s nice to check in on Melky every now and then.

Sometimes I miss the MelkMaids.

• chipower9 said, on May 8, 2015 at 12:46 pm

Yeah, me too. I would rather check in on the Melk Maids…

12. Lurker John said, on May 8, 2015 at 10:04 am

He was a ggod player for the Giants and I think they miss his bat. He had to go and fuck it up though.

13. Lurker John said, on May 8, 2015 at 10:04 am

I see the Sox are rocking the old school unis again.

• unca_chuck said, on May 8, 2015 at 11:18 am

As long as they don’t bring the shorts back . . . they looked like a fucking beer league softball team.

14. unca_chuck said, on May 8, 2015 at 11:21 am

Crazy video. Been to Wrigley a couple times, but never made it to Comiskey, old or new . . . a shower in the bleachers? WTF?

• blade3colorado said, on May 8, 2015 at 11:32 am

WTF was the box thing about? Funny shit.

• unca_chuck said, on May 8, 2015 at 1:39 pm

Those are empty beer cases. It was a doubleheader and they had a beer case stacking contest between games. The Bill Veeck, what a genius.

15. unca_chuck said, on May 8, 2015 at 11:28 am

Weird that you can easily drop videos in, but pics are an impossibility.

• blade3colorado said, on May 8, 2015 at 11:33 am

Chuck, you’re right. Last night I got lucky when I threw in one of Superman’s villains in. I have no idea why it worked, because more times then not, it never works.

• wilcojoe said, on May 8, 2015 at 11:56 am

That was hilarious by the way. That guy and the dude that James posted had me lmao. Good thing Flav has a sense of humor.

• blade3colorado said, on May 8, 2015 at 1:26 pm

I throw Sandawg a bone, telling him he looks like Mr Handsome (Michael Morse) and both him and Flav, say no way. Who am I to argue with someone who thinks he looks like Mr. Everyman, Raymond?

Obviously, I tried to do better on my second shot with Flavor. lqtm.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 8, 2015 at 12:10 pm

yeah, that is strange. So many epic gifs have gone without sharing.

• Lurker John said, on May 8, 2015 at 1:59 pm

Try posting links of the photos if you can, from a photo hosting site. I just copy the link from a particular pic on my Flickr page and paste it into the body of the post and they work here. I got lucky figuring that out. I don’t know about loading them directly from your computer. The links may be why the vids work and the pics don’t.

16. chipower9 said, on May 8, 2015 at 12:51 pm

Many have commented on the Effing Fish having our number. Strange beyond strange. Twilight Zone shit.

Loved the short ceremony they did for Morse. He has to be the most revered past Giant who played only one season here. Here is a good read on Morse…

Wash that loss off from last night and get ’em tonight. We are going out for dinner and some live music, so I will have to follow the game on LameDay.

GO GIANTS!

• blade3colorado said, on May 8, 2015 at 1:30 pm

Chi, last couple of paragraphs were meant as a rebuttal to Panda . . . Thanks for sharing. Always liked Morse.

17. Macdog said, on May 8, 2015 at 1:40 pm

Someone must be beating the Marlins, although I’m not sure who because I hear the same thing from Mets and Phils fans — that their team can’t beat the Fish.

• unca_chuck said, on May 8, 2015 at 4:15 pm

Phils can’t beat anyone, let alone the Fish.

• Macdog said, on May 8, 2015 at 6:49 pm

This refers more to years past than this season. Mets have already swept a 4-gamer from Marlins.

18. chipower9 said, on May 8, 2015 at 2:50 pm

Heard there is a tropical storm heading the way of the Carolinas. Be safe, John…no clowning around.

19. unca_chuck said, on May 8, 2015 at 4:13 pm

Shit, the Marlins are 14-15. All over the place as well.

Keep dry, or if not that, out of trouble, Bozo.

Speaking of natural disasters, did you feel any of the 17 earthquakes in Concord, Wisco?

I got stuck in the Lafayette tunnel on bart for 35 minutes the other day.

20. Flavor said, on May 8, 2015 at 4:51 pm

So who has Timmy lowering his ERA tonight? It’s at 2.40 right now. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Most of you guys think he’s *done* so I’ll be the wayward fan that says “Yes, his ERA goes down tonight….”

• blade3colorado said, on May 8, 2015 at 5:05 pm

I have him in 3 tourneys tonight (actually, in DK – half of the pitching duo they require).

• Flavor said, on May 8, 2015 at 5:53 pm

lol, I thought you were one of the guys who’s been telling us he’s done? btw, where are your invites to play h2h?

• blade3colorado said, on May 8, 2015 at 7:17 pm

Until he shows sustained high performance, HE IS DONE. What I also said is that Timmy will win certain match ups, i.e., tonight he has ball park factors in his favor and a (supposedly) weak line up. By the by, he also couldn’t keep the ball in the park for the last three years. This year, only one of his 24 fly balls have left the park. All in all, he isn’t a bad choice for a tourney, but I wouldn’t touch him with a 20 foot pole for a cash game.

Flav, I haven’t been playing the last few nights. Had a personal emergency at home (SF bay area). Things are fine now.

• willedav said, on May 8, 2015 at 6:22 pm

what do you have him for the season…assuming of course tonite isn’t his last night…under 4.00 or over?

• Flavor said, on May 8, 2015 at 6:57 pm

I’d say right around 4.00— a perfectly acceptable ERA for a #4/5

21. blade3colorado said, on May 8, 2015 at 5:04 pm

Cole Hamels is pitching like Cole Hamels tonight.

22. vogelsheiner said, on May 8, 2015 at 6:16 pm

Just one lefty facing Timmy tonight. Maybe that will help.

• willedav said, on May 8, 2015 at 6:24 pm

Not if they have bats in their hands.

23. snarkk said, on May 8, 2015 at 6:28 pm

I’m with BF, it’s a lower the ERA night for Timmeh. Wonder if McDP plays…

24. snarkk said, on May 8, 2015 at 6:38 pm

I’m with Willie’s earlier post re Pence. He’s no cure all for this offense when he gets back. Help, sure. But he’s going to take a while to get back in shape. Posey has to step up and start earning that $167 million…

25. Flavor said, on May 8, 2015 at 6:46 pm