Timmy, McGehee, Belt

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 9, 2015

Timmy dropping his ERA to an even 2.00 had me lqtm last night. You could easily make the argument that he’s been MVP of the staff this year. But really, the staff has been outstanding. Better than I thought they would do coming out of spring training. I don’t know if it’s the collective group that pushes itself to greatness or if this is all the product of Raggs. Either way, we continue to ride our starting pitching as far as it will take us.

And big props to McGehee for his perseverance. As Kruk said, “Welcome home Casey McGehee.”

Belt’s props will be flowing in the comment section below, I’m sure…..

1. zumiee said, on May 9, 2015 at 9:18 am

I’m still not buying McG-mania. He killed two other rallies last night with double-plays. And as Marty Lurie said (jokingly) after the show, he runs so slow, the catcher could have chased him down and tagged him out on his way to firstbase on the bases-loaded DP. Let’s see something resembling sustained quality performance.
    I don’t know if I’d use the word “outstanding” for our pitching staff at the moment, but I do like that they’re using the home ballpark well, and turning that back into a big homefield advantage.
    Belt looks good again (obviously.) I wonder what was up the other night. Maybe he wasn’t feeling well; had a touch of flu that night or something.

2. Carstie Clausen said, on May 9, 2015 at 9:19 am

Funny thing about Giants hitters. It’s like they have developed some weird allergy to all getting on the page at the same time. Early on, for 4-5 weeks, the top three in the order pretty much carried the offense, with very little coming from the middle of the order. Now, Aoki and Pagan and to a lesser degree, Panik, can hardly buy a hit. The offense now is being carried with Posey and Belt with some help from Silver Hammer and a poke now and again by Crawford, McGehee and Duffster.

Giants offense seems to be missing that coagulant. He’s at Sacramento now and rarin to go, i’m sure. From the looks of things the return of Pence will add that glue, that spark, that enforcer factor which should make the entire unit function AS a unit. Meanwhile, i wonder if some lineup readjustment may not be in order, involving Aoki, Pagan and Belt.

3. zumiee said, on May 9, 2015 at 9:22 am

I don’t see a spot for Ishi on the roster. That would have to be Maxwell’s spot, and I think Maxwell is a more valuable sub these days. Maxwell has cooled off, but he brings some athleticism as an outfielder and still gets a big hit once in a while.

4. James said, on May 9, 2015 at 9:22 am

Barkley/Warriors and James/Lincecum.

Belt will have to hit about 65 doubles to maintain his current OPS, if he plans to do the Al Oliver zero HR thing.

• Lurker John said, on May 9, 2015 at 3:25 pm

LOL. The way it’s going, you never know…

5. zumiee said, on May 9, 2015 at 9:28 am

Sandoval-watch: .288/2/12, .366 OBP. The Red Sox are 3 games under .500, due mainly to their pitching.
    Sandoval righthanded is something like 2 for 24, so he’s hitting way over .300 lefthanded, but I don’t know where to find those splits.

6. James said, on May 9, 2015 at 9:46 am

Here are the splits between the bullpen and starting staff so far:

7. blade3colorado said, on May 9, 2015 at 10:32 am

Barkley/Warriors and James/Lincecum reminded me of this . . . 🙂

• djloo27 said, on May 9, 2015 at 11:31 am

2?

8. snarkk said, on May 9, 2015 at 10:47 am

Timmeh’s wacky dad now on 95.7 FM…

9. blade3colorado said, on May 9, 2015 at 11:08 am

Mike Moustakas has been one of the worst hitters insofar as batting average in the AL for years. He was even sent down to the minors last season. Personally, until this season – I have avoided taking him in daily fantasy. However, the primary reason he has sucked for a few seasons has been his inability to defeat the defensive shift that other teams would employ, not due to his immense talent. This is a fascinating article about how he was able to adjust his swing, where today he is perhaps the best hitter on the Royals.

10. snarkk said, on May 9, 2015 at 11:29 am

Tired of hearing how nice a dude McDP is. Or that he’s from Santa Cruz. BFD. Seriously. This is the major leagues. He needs to produce. And, he’s got no past Giants capital, he’s a one-year mercenary brought here via trade to prove himself. One slam is great, but it’s time he starts hitting on a regular basis, and field his position without mucking it up. The DPs might be tolerable if he produces otherwise, and gets that OBP up. He needs to hit way down in the order like last night because of the horrendous DP factor he brings — he’ll never leg anything out, that’s for sure. The flip side is that low in the order, he’ll get crap pitches to hit, and that means rolling over into grounders. BTW, his range at third borders on non-existent. Not that I’m a big sabermetrics guy, but his career UZR is -6.3, where -5 = below average, and -10 = poor. So far, he looks like a one-season stopgap measure, in spades…

11. snarkk said, on May 9, 2015 at 12:18 pm

Lincecum in his 2 May starts: ERA 0.00, WHIP 0.71, BA against .125.
    6 games, 36 IP in season so far: 1 HR given up, best of all starters.
    He might get lit up the rest of the season, but so far, you can’t argue he’s been crap or been lucky. If you’re going to use stats to rip him, those same stats so far show he’s been the #2 starter.
    I think they should keep Buster to catch him until proven otherwise…

• James said, on May 9, 2015 at 1:51 pm

Well, in his last two starts he’s benefited from a lot of loud outs. He’s been pretty lucky in that respect. If his walk ratio were a little lower, I’d be more hopeful that he’s made a turnaround. His six starts have been in SF, LA, and San Diego, three of the friendliest pitchers parks around.

• snarkk said, on May 9, 2015 at 2:02 pm

James, the stats are stats. You can’t dump on a guy using stats, and then when they’re pretty darn good, say they’re an anomaly because of the competition or the circumstance, and haul out the K to BB ratio as proof that trumps the rest. Six starts in, he’s done well by most objective measures. Maybe he’ll be crap the rest of the season, but so far, he’s the #2 starter, easily. The experts have been saying he should recognize his shortcomings and pitch to contact, let the defense work. Now that he’s doing it, he’s getting “lucky” with loud outs. Last night he got Stanton out when he had to on 3 pitches, nobody can deny that was a cool at bat, and different than the usual gopher ball he’s had problems with in similar situations the past few years. That wasn’t luck. If he had gotten hammered in these 3 ballparks so far, then what would be the criticism — he’s REALLY crap when you adjust for the pitcher friendly parks? I’ve got no rose-colored glasses on, but let’s acknowledge and enjoy the success while it’s here…

• James said, on May 9, 2015 at 2:20 pm

Snarrk, if it were 100 innings, I’d be on the other side of the fence. He got whacked pretty hard last night in the early innings — he wasn’t “pitching to contact,” one of those meaningless insider phrases, which gets inverted to “mistakes in the zone” when the results are negative.

Of course, every pitcher usually has some element of luck on his side. Timmy needs more of it than Bum, which is why I mention the walks. When his luck does turn, and he pitches in less friendly parks, he’d be in a better position to sustain the good numbers if he trimmed the walk totals.

• snarkk said, on May 9, 2015 at 2:27 pm

I agree with the walks, but everybody does better with a good K/BB ratio. He’s definitely been better than last year, so I’m going with this as a real improvement until/unless he gets a couple of hammerings in a row. I definitely think that Posey should be catching him. IMO, when things get dicey, Posey helps keep him mentally in the game better than Hector…

• snarkk said, on May 9, 2015 at 2:35 pm

So, “pitching to contact” was meaningless in re: Greg Maddux, or Hudson when he had it going on during most of his career?…

• James said, on May 9, 2015 at 2:49 pm

I’m not sure that Timmy’s success can yet be attributed to how well he’s locating the ball around the edges of the strike zone, if that’s what the phrase is supposed to mean.

• snarkk said, on May 9, 2015 at 2:54 pm

To me, “pitching to contact” means pitching in a way or to locations so that hitters hit the ball less than flush, which means your defense, IF or OF, has time to make a play. See blade’s article below, he’s definitely pitching down in the zone more than the recent past…

12. snarkk said, on May 9, 2015 at 12:23 pm

Anybody with me that when Pence comes back, Hector is the odd man out? I don’t see why he is on the 25 right now…

• djloo27 said, on May 9, 2015 at 2:19 pm

You had me at “anybody”…

13. snarkk said, on May 9, 2015 at 2:28 pm

Morse interviewed right now on KNBR via tape…

• snarkk said, on May 9, 2015 at 2:58 pm

Interesting. Morse on that tying home run in the game 5 of the NLCS he hit off of Neshek: Morse had a feeling earlier in the series he might face the guy in a key PH situation, so he studied a lot of tape of the guy, and visualized facing him a lot, and what to look for to crank one out. So, when he faced him for real — BOOM. Impressive…

• Lurker John said, on May 9, 2015 at 3:31 pm

And BOOM it was. One of the best moments in last season’s playoffs. Morse was a good Giant and a good teammate. I wish there’d been a way to keep him around.

14. giants54 said, on May 9, 2015 at 2:33 pm

Complete agree with James on Lincecum. I’m encouraged, but skeptical. Reminds me of when Zito was brilliant over a few games it was tempting to believe he had found some magic solution. We’ll see.

15. blade3colorado said, on May 9, 2015 at 2:36 pm

Actually, no luck is involved and the stats confirm it – Timmy has made changes where there has been a significant increase in his ground ball rate. He also is repeating all of his pitches with essentially the same arm slot and release point. In fact (see the article below), his horizontal release point is more consistent than at any point in his career. Per the article, “The clustering of these (release) points helps add deception to his pitches, as it’s more difficult to discern the forthcoming pitch by his arm angle.”

However, James point about the match-ups being good, especially in regard to park factors, is valid as well. I am happy for him and Lincecum is definitely doing things differently.

These are the major changes, but not the only discernible changes he has made. Yeah, his fastball sucks. However, if he continues to be consistent in affecting the aforementioned changes, along with others described in this article, Timmy may be looking at another “multi-year deal,” albeit, not the big, big contract he might have anticipated in his CY years.

• snarkk said, on May 9, 2015 at 2:50 pm

Nice article, blade. His pitches are clearly more down in the zone than before, so his ground ball % is up nearly 10 points from his career average of about 46%. My eyes have not been deceiving me — so far he’s inducing about 20% more ground balls than before…

• snarkk said, on May 9, 2015 at 3:53 pm

All the categories in this article for Lincecum are better than last season, and yes, it’s early. But, the article didn’t include last night’s game, so the improvements are even better than shown there…

• James said, on May 9, 2015 at 4:51 pm

His GB% took a serious hit, though :-).

• James said, on May 9, 2015 at 3:21 pm

Interesting read, Blade, thanks. I’d of course be curious to see of you could find another 36 inning stretch over the last few years with a similar profile.

To put these into absolute numbers, there have been 101 balls put into play against Lincecum so far. That means that over 6 games he’s induced about 10 more ground balls so far. Some of the extra contact can probably be attributed to an even lower velocity fastball this year.

It’ll be interesting to see it play out over the longer haul.

• blade3colorado said, on May 9, 2015 at 3:34 pm

I didn’t mention this in my post, but along with you and giants54, I also want to see if this “new” Tim can be sustained. Consequently, I honestly don’t know how he will perform going forward. His pitching motion has so many moving parts and is one of the most unorthodox I have ever seen . . . Just have to wait and see.

• James said, on May 9, 2015 at 3:35 pm

BTW, I just looked up Greg Maddux’s GB% (covers 7 years of his career): 51%. I don’t think Timmy is going to sustain anything like the 57% he’s at right now over any significant stretch, not matter what “adjustments” he’s made.

• blade3colorado said, on May 9, 2015 at 3:42 pm

I don’t understand . . . Why not? Also, why are you comparing him to Maddux? Please clarify your comment. Thanks . . .

This chart shows the current status of MLB pitchers . . .

• James said, on May 9, 2015 at 4:22 pm

Blade, that chart is just for 2015. It’s a very small sample, so you get distorted figures. Take a look at the longer range numbers on Fangraphs for those pitchers. I picked Maddox because Snarkk referenced him, and he had a pretty good sinker, as I recall 🙂

16. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 9, 2015 at 2:48 pm

I would like to hear Tim Lincecum break down his mechanics in detail some time. It would be interesting to hear. I missed his dad on 95.7. The afternoon drive guy thinks he’s the Tom Leykis of sports or something. Maybe I should give some other time slots a shot but for the most part I really can’t stand that station.

Last night was a nice feel good moment for McGehee. At least his DPs weren’t soft shots like before his recent stint on the pine. Hopefully he turns it around.

My guess is Pence comes back for the dodger series.

Not anything that my esteemed colleagues don’t already know but this is a good read.

17. pawliekokonuts said, on May 9, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Hello from Stamford, Connecticut. Early Happy Mother’s Day, girls. Speaking of girls, my girl tore her ACL in a lacrosse game on Thursday at West Genesee HS, possibly the best lacrosse teams in the nation. Everybody there was great in assisting us. I was grateful that her mother and I could be with her on the field, but I do not ever want to hear screams like that if I live to be 110.

• djloo27 said, on May 9, 2015 at 3:44 pm

Best wishes to your daughter, Pawlie…

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 9, 2015 at 3:53 pm

thanks, Loo; she is adjusting to crutches; she’s a trouper (is that how it is spelled?)…and good luck to your hanging-by-a-thread Rangers

• snarkk said, on May 9, 2015 at 3:54 pm

From a dude with two girls, my best wishes to her and you for a successful rehab. That really sucks. My younger snarkette had a bad high ankle sprain from dancing last year and was out for about 2 months — not as bad as an ACL, but the crying and pain from your kid — I get it, you want to make it go away immediately, but you can’t…

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 9, 2015 at 4:03 pm

thanks, Tom. Surgery looms. But she is feisty. When I asked her how she was going to manage getting downstairs on crutches, she texted me: “Managed everything. I’m a manager. Hence Whitman.** See it was all just a way to prove to myself that business and management would be good for me” [**she had been quite undecided on where to go to college but settled on the Whitman School of Management at Syracuse University]

• snarkk said, on May 9, 2015 at 4:10 pm

Syracuse, and nearby, cool.
        Make sure you get some cutter who has done a ton of ACLs — maybe some guy who works on the Syracuse sports teams?…

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 9, 2015 at 4:33 pm

yeah, we got someone highly recommended; saw your email; tnx; part of her dilemma was debating leaving home, which was an attraction…but Whitman has a very fine reputation…

• Lurker John said, on May 9, 2015 at 3:57 pm

Damn, Pawlie, sorry to hear that. Hope she has a speedy recovery.

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 9, 2015 at 4:04 pm

danke, LJ

18. djloo27 said, on May 9, 2015 at 3:45 pm

Can you believe it’s been 13 seasons since Jeff Kent was a San Francisco Giant?

• pawliekokonuts said, on May 9, 2015 at 3:54 pm

I instantly turned more shades of gray.

• snarkk said, on May 9, 2015 at 4:52 pm

Is he still personally washing his trucks?…

19. Flavor said, on May 9, 2015 at 4:27 pm

I’m still trying to figure out why I thought it was “Ma-gay-hee”

• James said, on May 9, 2015 at 4:33 pm

Be careful if you ever find yourself having to say Kike Hernandez’s name in front of any Jewish co-workers.

• blade3colorado said, on May 9, 2015 at 4:35 pm

Have you followed up with your friend? If so, what did you say? She said in response?

• snarkk said, on May 9, 2015 at 4:36 pm

However it’s pronounced, by numbers it usually means 5-4-3…

20. snarkk said, on May 9, 2015 at 5:04 pm

I know we’ve kicked around here the proliferation of military and religious stuff going on at ballgames in recent years, and I’ve decried it as improper, IMO, and akin to some kind of forced flag waving like what goes on in a militaristic state. Now, I get it — is this the tip of an iceberg of so-called patriotism — check this link out…

• blade3colorado said, on May 9, 2015 at 5:30 pm

Agree. This U.S. Sen. Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.) is also spot on as well about this being “unseemly.” That being said, this is minor compared to what has happened with regard to our freedoms taken away by the Patriot Act, video cameras installed everywhere, and the Supreme Court allowing corporations to essentially spend whatever ever amount is necessary to elect their candidate X.

If any of you get the chance, read this entertaining fiction novel (I’ve mentioned previously) called The Traveler. by John Twelve Hawks, where he writes about a dystopian near future society, which you would have difficulty recognizing the differences from our own. In short, an eye opener.

• snarkk said, on May 9, 2015 at 5:50 pm

I’m wondering now if the Pads get military dough for having those Sunday games where the team wears the Camo uniforms, there’s a bunch of Navy/Marine saluting going on, etc. Maybe Sandawg knows…

21. willedav said, on May 9, 2015 at 5:28 pm

Woodson on KNBR last night before the game asked how many HRs to expect from Pence: less than 15, 15-20, or more than 20? He said 20 plus but admitted without ST probably unlikely.
    If he comes back in series vs. Dodgers like Dirt mentioned on May 19 that would mean he misses 39 games, almost a quarter of season.

This is what he did last year playing all 162 with 650 ABs:
    29 doubles 10 triples (!) 20 HRs .445 slugging. 59 XBH about 1 per 11 ABs
    Belt last year in 214 ABs::
    8 doubles 0 triples 12 HRs .449 slugging. 20 XBH about 1 per 11 ABs.

Hmmnn.

22. willedav said, on May 9, 2015 at 5:36 pm

Pawlie sorry to hear about your daughter’s injury…ACL tears all too prevalent for b-ball and soccer kids too. Often they occur just doing something that doesn’t even involve contact. I know a b-ball girl who is a junior in HS recovering from her second one.

• blade3colorado said, on May 9, 2015 at 5:40 pm

Willie, I don’t know where I read this, but it was something about females being more susceptible to knee injuries. I think I have read about this from more then a few sources and it was backed up with statistics. Don’t know for certain though, since it has been years since I’ve read the article(s).

Pawlie, I hope your daughter is feeling better and has a good recovery/rehab.

• gianthead said, on May 9, 2015 at 6:38 pm

Same thoughts to your daughter Pawlie but Blade is right that girls are mu ch more susceptible to knee injuries than boys. I can’t remember what I read but has to do with girl’s body structure and the wear and tear that basketball and the jumping has on the girl’s body…

23. sandog said, on May 9, 2015 at 6:13 pm

Kruk always sounds to me like he’s bullshitting when he gives his scouting report on the home plate umpire. Its like he’s just pulling random comments out of his ass.
    “He’s got a tight zone, but he’ll loosen up as the game goes on. He’ll give you the corners, but has a tendency to give up on breaking balls too soon.”
    Whatever, Kruk.

• James said, on May 9, 2015 at 6:19 pm

SD, I started calling bullshit on his reports a few years ago. They usually crop up to confirm a call the ump has just made. It would be hilarious (and mean spirited) to compile his ump evaluations from over the years to find the inevitable contradictions his improvisations contain.

• sandog said, on May 9, 2015 at 6:27 pm

…and he says the comments with tone of complete confidence that he totally has every umpire in the league figured out. It’s hilarious.

24. eddacker said, on May 9, 2015 at 6:19 pm

I wonder if belt’s slow start is because he was working on his swing to beat the shift?
    he seems to be doing that a little bit now.

• James said, on May 9, 2015 at 6:25 pm

Just as likely that he went cold because he was hitting most of spring training.

25. djloo27 said, on May 9, 2015 at 6:20 pm

I kinda like the black jerseys…

• Lurker John said, on May 9, 2015 at 6:52 pm

They look good.

26. gianthead said, on May 9, 2015 at 6:30 pm

What the Fuck are the Warriors doing???

They had 4 days to prepare and had absolutely no new game plan going into Game 3. Mark Jackson for all his faults was a defense first coach. I believe he would have had a stronger game plan in taking on Memphis. I said before this game they had to go big and start Speights at the 4 and slide Draymond to the 3. No Ezeli so far in this game and no David Lee, who is great at scrappin Vodafone baskets.

27. gianthead said, on May 9, 2015 at 6:32 pm

What the Fuck are the Warriors doing???

They had 4 days to prepare and had absolutely no new game plan going into Game 3. Mark Jackson for all his faults was a defense first coach. I believe he would have had a stronger game plan in taking on Memphis. I said before this game they had to go big and start Speights at the 4 and slide Draymond to the 3. No Ezeli so far in this game and no David Lee, who is great at scrapping for baskets.

Watching Draymond attempting to guard Gasol is ridiculous…

• gianthead said, on May 9, 2015 at 6:34 pm

Wireless issues…sorry for the repetitive statement and how does Vodafone come up as a spell check option???

• sandog said, on May 9, 2015 at 6:38 pm

Yeah, that was a curveball. I don’t follow the NBA too closely, so I figured Vodafone was some Euro who plays for the Spurs and specializes in put-backs. “Bellinelli misses the three, and Vodafone is there again for the offensive rebound, and he puts it in off the glass for two!”

28. James said, on May 9, 2015 at 6:44 pm

Toss the whole wholesome family!

• sandog said, on May 9, 2015 at 6:45 pm

Move ’em up to the SanDawg seats!

29. alleykat69 said, on May 9, 2015 at 6:53 pm

Dubs made I nice run, now getting stagnant again. Crap 4 fouls on Klay& Bogut with half the 3rdquarter left, not a good thing, to keep this comeback alive..

• Flavor said, on May 9, 2015 at 6:56 pm

Curry can’t hit shit, Klay is coming up ant-small and now out of the game and Gasol can do whatever he wants. WTFFFFFFFFFFFFF?

30. Lurker John said, on May 9, 2015 at 6:54 pm

MLB network pulled a fast one on me and are showing the Giants game instead of Dodgers/Rockies. It wasn’t in the listings, of course, but a happy surprise nonetheless.

31. willedav said, on May 9, 2015 at 6:57 pm

Flav, the thing about MacG and the 177 hits is none of the projections I saw thought he’d be anywhere near that—in other words, last year was strictly back of the baseball card and not sustainable.
    Looking at F/G (Zips and Steamer) both thought he was more likely to get less than 130 and hit .250-ish.

Dang, Bum burned again by the long ball.
    Marlins OF, with Yelich Ozuna and Stanton, is impressive.
    Maybe Giants scouts should follow these guys around some.

• sandog said, on May 9, 2015 at 7:15 pm

I’m with Flav on the 177 hit deal. You can’t luck your way into a 177 hit season in the big leagues. Yes, he ain’t gonna have that many this year, but I still think a decent to pretty good season out of him is likely. In the meantime, Bochy can mix Duff McKagan in there when McG is in a funk. I think it will work out alright.

As for the Marlins outfield, maybe we need to poach a few of their scouts…

• James said, on May 9, 2015 at 7:28 pm

But 177 hits do not trump OBP + SP otherwise known as OPS. You can hit 177 singles in a lot of ABs in a season and be a shitty player.

• James said, on May 9, 2015 at 7:30 pm

Which is not to say Casey was terrible last year, just that 177 hits w/o context doesn’t tell you much.

• xoot said, on May 9, 2015 at 7:56 pm

he led the league in dps, too, in 2014 (31–on pace to double that this year). Made Pablo’s dp numbers look respectable.

32. giants54 said, on May 9, 2015 at 7:13 pm

How often are pre season projections accurate?

• willedav said, on May 9, 2015 at 7:38 pm

Good point. But I’d also wonder why Marlins didn’t seem to care if he left.
      And I’d disagree with SanDawg–lot of guys have one really good year they can’t duplicate.
      Andres Torres anyone? Aubrey Huff?

• sandog said, on May 9, 2015 at 8:00 pm

Huff had a few good years in the bigs. McGehee has had other pretty good years as well. Torres, I can’t really argue with, but was he ever really a full-time player?

33. Carstie Clausen said, on May 9, 2015 at 7:17 pm

Even before Bumgarner coughed up that hairball in the 4th it sure seemed like something like that was bound to happen as his economy of pitches had gone all to hell over the first 3. Fifty-five pitches over three is a shade over 18 per. When country is on he usually breezes through on maybe 11 per.

34. blade3colorado said, on May 9, 2015 at 7:35 pm

Sheesh . . . Let me know when Craw gets to 2nd.

35. James said, on May 9, 2015 at 7:35 pm

If the Giants don’t send a runner or try a SB for the rest of the season, I’ll be fine with that.

36. Carstie Clausen said, on May 9, 2015 at 7:38 pm

Was Craw’s caught stealing a mis-done hit and run call or did he just do it on his own initiative?

• blade3colorado said, on May 9, 2015 at 7:52 pm

Let’s just say I’ve seen glaciers and snails move faster.

• xoot said, on May 9, 2015 at 7:53 pm

missed hit and run. Casey McG failed to hit his usual dp ball

37. James said, on May 9, 2015 at 7:47 pm

The running game is the single most worthless baseball stratagem I know of. It is a zero sum game at best for almost all teams.

• xoot said, on May 9, 2015 at 8:09 pm

One of the most interesting secondary plays in baseball is the ground ball that shoots into the OF for a hit because the 2B, or sometimes the SS, breaks to the bag to cover an attempted steal. It’s very interesting if you’re in the park, up high, watching the entire field, during the play. And just ask the Oakland a’s about how important the Royals’ running game was in the AL WC game last year.

• James said, on May 9, 2015 at 8:15 pm

Yes, in a single game the gamble can make a huge difference. Over a season, it’s a pointless entertainment insofar as you care about maximizing your win total.

• xoot said, on May 9, 2015 at 8:20 pm

7 SBs in one WC game was not one “gamble.” It was a strategy that worked. The Royal didn’t try the same thing against the Giants during the WS (in general). Posey’s arm was a lot better than Norris’s, and the Giants apparently did some additional work with the staff to control KC. But the running game was an important part of the KC surge in the second half last year, and in the PS. Zero sum? Not for them.

• xoot said, on May 9, 2015 at 8:33 pm

I had to check. regular season 2014 KC had 156 SBs w/ 36 CS. mlb avg was 92/35. Giants were 56/27. Many teams were about 2:1 No team came close to breaking even, which I believe is the plain language meaning of zero sum game.

• James said, on May 9, 2015 at 8:38 pm

Yes, agreed that KC was an exception, I did qualify the claim with an almost all. In general, it makes no difference to most teams.

• James said, on May 9, 2015 at 8:57 pm

No, zero sum means that for most teams the number of runs lost because of CS totals negate the runs scored because of SBs.

• xoot said, on May 9, 2015 at 9:17 pm

breaking even’s breaking even. and KC last year proves irrefutably that the running game is not always a “zero sum” game. KC got to the PS and then won the WC game, in significant part, because of their great running game. (The dodgers weren’t all that far behind, last year, either.) I think 2014 KC completely defeats your argument, unless you mean to say that teams who don’t have much running talent will break even, at best, if they run. That’s probably right.

38. willedav said, on May 9, 2015 at 7:54 pm

Imo, we’re seeing way too much of Kontos.

39. Flavor said, on May 9, 2015 at 7:59 pm

you guys are getting hung up on the 177 hits thing. I never suggested he would repeat that. I used that as evidence that this guy isn’t some fly by night chump. I have said from the start, I just want him to be David Bell for a year. I still think he can be that…..

40. blade3colorado said, on May 9, 2015 at 8:04 pm

Beginning tomorrow, I suggest we start giving Buster the Belt treatment with appropriate ranting, sticking needles in his bobblehead, and criticizing his wife. Undoubtedly, he’ll start hitting again. 🙂

41. James said, on May 9, 2015 at 8:07 pm

I know it’s probably because I pay closer attention to his ABs, but I swear Belt fouls more pitches straight back than any other SF hitter . . . .

• Flavor said, on May 9, 2015 at 8:22 pm

I’m sure they build that into his OPS

42. Flavor said, on May 9, 2015 at 8:21 pm

that was an, um, unimpressive at bat by McGehee.

• willedav said, on May 9, 2015 at 8:30 pm

Flav, David Bell hit 20 HRs for SF—with .429 slugging and .760 OPS.
      Sorry, but I highly doubt MacG gets anywhere near any of those numbers.

Hindsight being 20/20, Sabes could have saved the dumpster dive and gone with in house and not been any worse off.
      Unless he is serious about Beltre or Aramis Ramirez

43. alleykat69 said, on May 9, 2015 at 8:23 pm

I was expecting a 2 ball fromMcG, so I guess the strikeout looking is a bonus..,

44. Lurker John said, on May 9, 2015 at 8:24 pm

Right now McGehee just flat sucks. No clue at the plate whatsoever. If he’s not grounding into DP’s, he’s waving at pitches out of the zone or taking pitches right down Broadway. Not impressed with this dude so far.

45. giants54 said, on May 9, 2015 at 8:25 pm

Well they didn’t sign McG to a big multi year deal over several other options.

They were desperate and he was about as good as was avail. He was definitely worth a stab given the choices. Tab is light if it doesn’t work out. Didn’t cost them prospects either. Might be someone better avail at the deadline.

• giants54 said, on May 9, 2015 at 8:26 pm

top prospects, that is.

• Lurker John said, on May 9, 2015 at 8:27 pm

The problem right now is that he’s killing the Giants. He’s been up a couple of times tonight with RBI chances and done squat. He’s barely putting the ball in play.

46. Lurker John said, on May 9, 2015 at 8:25 pm

And there’s no shortage of players who’ve had one and done seasons. Seems to me the Giants had a few during the lean years in the 70’s.

47. giants54 said, on May 9, 2015 at 8:38 pm

unreal .150 hitter 0-2 .. machi the one to go

48. giants54 said, on May 9, 2015 at 8:39 pm

Expecting a comeback? Giants haven’t done it but once this year. And they were down just 1 run when they beat the Bums 3-2 for the sweep.

49. Paul Sorensen said, on May 9, 2015 at 9:01 pm

From what I remember, among other things, about last season was that they actually were good at coming back to win games, maybe especially or only during that torrid 1st 3rd of the season. They never seemed out of a game. It’ll be good to have EVERYbody back healthy again, see if they can get back into that “never out of it” mode.

50. James said, on May 9, 2015 at 9:21 pm

Xoot, it’s old news by now, but this remains a pretty definitive critique:

51. blade3colorado said, on May 9, 2015 at 9:31 pm

Weird few days, e.g., our ace comes up as a deuce and our deuce an ace. Go figure.

52. Paul Sorensen said, on May 9, 2015 at 9:46 pm

Just curious because I haven’t seen much, anyone know the timetable for Cain’s return? And/or Peavy, for that matter, although I’m more interested in Cain. Not expecting much from Peavy.

• blade3colorado said, on May 9, 2015 at 9:51 pm

No idea Paul. I think it will be awhile for both.

• willedav said, on May 10, 2015 at 7:58 am

Paul there was something about Peavy on Bagg’s blog and Pavs on csn. He’s going to AZ while Giants are on the road to continue throwing (threw 40 off mound Friday) and face minor leaguers in extended ST.
      Cain’s going with him, altho nothing else was said.
      My pc does not like merc blog so it’s hard to stay on there very long and scroll through stuff.

• blade3colorado said, on May 10, 2015 at 8:08 am

Denver Post does the same thing Willie. Numerous ads, pop ups, page loading issues, and then they cut you off after 10 articles per month.

53. djloo27 said, on May 10, 2015 at 8:50 am

Mays had 177 hits in 1965.
    52 of them left the park.

• Lurker John said, on May 10, 2015 at 9:41 am

lol

54. giants54 said, on May 10, 2015 at 9:38 am

Mcgehee did have 174 hits in 2010…. So he’s a two-year wonder. 😉

Daniel Murphy’s name was floated as a replacement. He had 188 hits and a 172 hits 2013-14…now he’s hitting almost as bad as McG…@ .215/.609 ops.

55. willedav said, on May 10, 2015 at 9:47 am

Loo, how you think Mays numbers would look like comparing ATT vs. playing all those years at the Stick?

• djloo27 said, on May 10, 2015 at 9:58 am

He might’ve been the only 30-30 guy in history (30 homers/30 triples). Maybe a couple more batting titles.

56. Flavor said, on May 10, 2015 at 10:01 am