That Was a Lot of Runs

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 18, 2015

I’m going to need one of you to remind me of this past weekend when our offense goes back to “binary code”. But until that happens we can revel in the bounty of runs that Belt, Crawford, Pence and the rest gifted us vs the Reds.

I didn’t look before the series started against Cincinnati, but I’m assuming we were last in runs scored in the NL. A quick check of that stat shows us in 12th position with 145 runs only 1 behind the Pirates.

Art Dealers up next. Giants are 11-5 in May……

1. zumiee said, on May 18, 2015 at 6:46 am

Well, whatever happens this week vs. the Dodgers, the Giants have their full roster of everyday players now. And the three starting pitchers facing the Dodgers are regular members of the 2015 rotation. So, no excuses. In fact, the Dodgers are missing Puig, someone they expected to be a regular.
    Having said that, I’m only confident that, of the starting pitchers, Bum will pitch well against the Dodgers. The other two starting pitchers are a crapshoot. If just one of those two crapshooters can pitch a nice game, the Giants can win two of three, and that would be huge. Even one of three ain’t all bad. Just don’t get swept; that’s the only bad thing that could happen.
    The chances of the Giants sweeping them again in the same season are pretty statistically slim.

2. Carstie Clausen said, on May 18, 2015 at 7:55 am

Hoping that bad stretch in early April was sufficient innoculation against that frequent June Swoon after making hay in May.

3. willedav said, on May 18, 2015 at 7:58 am

Giants have risen to 3rd in the league in OB now, 7th in slugging,
    Don’t look now, but team leader in OPS OPS+ and second in slugging with .509 (Craw at .511) is….Belt.

Heston obviously didn’t have it yesterday and despite early lead was gonzo in the 3rd. Pads lit him up last time out at home, and Sherps on road before that. In btw were nice performances vs. Angels and Stros.
    Last 3 starts: 16 innings 20 hits 5 walks 11 Earned for 6.00 something ERA
    Last 5 starts: 28 innings 36 hits 10 walks 18 earned for 5.80 something ERA

Next start round 2 at Sherps Saturday (2 games that day as make up). Hmmnn.

4. willedav said, on May 18, 2015 at 8:12 am

I know it’s not supposed to be his natural position, but Duffy looks fine at 3b. Craw Panik and Belt make up a nice defensive IF that will help out pitching staff. Craw made difficult play going into hole and throwing across body to get a force at 2b that saved Heston in first or second inning.
    OF looks good too, tho Aoki made a dumb play on the bloop hit. He wasn’t gonna get there and smarter move would have been to play it safe and keep ball in front of him instead of sliding. Had great game at bat tho.

Beane’s A’s, by contrast, are terrible in the field. I think dumping off fan fave Donaldson might have pissed off baseball gods enough to ruin them so far. He hit 29 HRs for them last year and has had 2 really good seasons in a row (over 7 WAR each year), cost controlled. Highly unlikely any prospect would ever match that.

5. Carstie Clausen said, on May 18, 2015 at 8:19 am

Which team leads the NL in batting average? The World Champs, of course, with a nifty .269, one over the Cards at .268. Giants also lead the league in hits and in triples. Having possessed a long lead for 5th in ERA, yesterday’s 8 runs by Cincinnati were not sufficient to drop SF any lower in that category.

• chipower9 said, on May 18, 2015 at 9:30 am

This team was designed to keep the hits rolling…keep the conga line moving, etc., and they are starting to show they have the moxie to satisfy that requirement. And to see them bash in the bandboxes of Houston and Cincy was a plus.

6. chipower9 said, on May 18, 2015 at 9:22 am

Well, here we are, 38 games into the season…almost one quarter of the way there…

Who would have thought, given that we have been without two starters for most of the season, and having just got Pence back for the last two games, that our boys in the Orange and Black would be over .500? I had said “stay close to .500” until we get all our pieces back, and try to stay relatively close to the bums. Well, two games over .500 and only 4.5 back, given the state of the team…I will take that all day long.

Great series in Cincy. To lose the series opener by a run in the 9th, then to come back and kick some Red’s ass the next two (we needed some laughers), and finally to persevere and win a tight high scoring duel to finish it off yesterday was amazing…especially the way the Reds have owned our asses in Cincy (sans the 2012 playoffs).

I am pretty damned happy with the way the team is playing right now. Belt finally starting to “BELT” the ball…hitting .321 and driving the ball (three HRs recently after having none to that point). I am going to take partial credit with my riding his ass regularly (with some help from Blade and others), and even, over the past couple of weeks, suggesting a trade may be in order. 😉

Posey and Craw (suprisingly so, Craw) leading the team in HRs, Craw leading the team in RBIs, DuffMan, Maxwell, with their contributions, Pagan out of the 3 hole contributing big time, AND playing regularly, etc. The pitching overall has been pretty damned solid. Even with Heston’s rough outing yesterday (7 hits, 5 ERs) he has been a much needed shot in the arm. The list goes on and on, especially for a team that has faced more than its fair share of bumps in the road.

Anyway, I am really happy with where the team is overall. Enjoy the day off and then it is time to BEAT LA! I am looking forward to joining Edd and Zumiee (thanks for the ticket, Zume) for the game on Thursday. I am probably taking the ferry out of Vallejo for the first time. Hopefully that will be a fun experience. MadBum vs. Kershaw to close the series should be an epic game.

• Lurker John said, on May 18, 2015 at 9:45 am

Well said chi. Two shit teams coming up after L.A. Hopefully the Giants can make some hay against them.

7. Lurker John said, on May 18, 2015 at 9:43 am

What a fun series this weekend in Cincy and a great job by the Giants winning 3 games. I’m glad to see Belt respond finally with some big games. But given his propensity for sudden power outages, I’m reserving judgement until he keeps it up for a while.

Pence was his usual whirling dervish of a player and a welcome addition to the lineup and clubhouse.

Dog-ears up next. Fuck ’em and let’s take 2 of 3.

8. chipower9 said, on May 18, 2015 at 9:52 am

Just went out to see if the “San Jose Mercury News” had anything interesting to read re: local sports, and was notified that I have three free articles remaining to read. Looks like they are charging for online access. It is the wave of the future (or the current wave). Online advertising just must not be enough of a revenue stream.

• Flavor said, on May 18, 2015 at 10:01 am

the blogs are still free, right?

• chipower9 said, on May 18, 2015 at 10:34 am

I think so, Flav. I did not see Baggs listed, so I clicked on one of the other blogs and did not get the “you only have x free left.”

• blade3colorado said, on May 18, 2015 at 10:36 am

Denver Post does the same thing. I also like reading the New York Times, which allows 10 articles/opinion pieces monthly. However, if you subscribe (free) to the daily email and click to any of the articles in the email, you will get the articles free regardless of whether you have exceeded your 10 maximum monthly total. In short, this is a software glitch or they’ve ignored correcting it. Similarly, other papers can be accessed this way. They all vary.

• snarkk said, on May 18, 2015 at 7:58 pm

Also, if you’re bounced from an article, you may be able to access it if you google the title of the article, then click the google link provided…

9. Irish Kevin said, on May 18, 2015 at 9:53 am

Watching the Giants hitting and scoring runs got me to thinking, when was the last time th Giants scored 10 runs at AT&T? Just a thought that ran through my pea brain.

• chipower9 said, on May 18, 2015 at 9:59 am

Kev – 64 more games to go (Pagan)…

• Irish Kevin said, on May 18, 2015 at 2:59 pm

Ha ha, we will meet at Raley Field!

10. chipower9 said, on May 18, 2015 at 9:55 am

Speaking of the Merc, I wanted to share this article on Larry Baer. If nothing else, the dude has persevered over many crappy, and dicey years with the Giants. Anyway, regardless of what you think about the man, I thought this was a decent read:

11. sandog said, on May 18, 2015 at 10:54 am

Re Heston, again, I’m glad we have the guy and I think he will continue to help us, but my expectations are not real high. I think Bochy’s greatest strength is the way he handles pitchers and he is going to get a chance to show off his juggling skills big time when Cain and Peavy come back. I have a feeling he will pull it off just fine with several guys going in and out of the rotation as the season winds along.
    I’ve always liked Reds TV announcer Thom Brennaman, going back to his days as the #2 guy to Harry Caray on the Cubs broadcasts. I enjoyed listening to him over the weekend, and he mentioned that the Giants had DFA’d Heston at one point—which I had not heard before.

• Bozo said, on May 18, 2015 at 11:20 am

Yeah sandog, I think they DFAed him a couple of years ago (40 man roster move if I remember right). I don’t remember if anyone claimed him or not but I’m glad he was still with the organization when we needed him.

12. Bozo said, on May 18, 2015 at 11:22 am

I missed all the excitement of yesterday’s game, but I’m loving the outcome. Time to give the Dodgers something to be blue about.

13. zumiee said, on May 18, 2015 at 12:52 pm

I would rate the Reds broadcast crew high. My favorite non-Giants broadcast crew is the Mets’ crew: Gary Cohen, Ron Darling, and Keith Hernandez. My least favorite are the Yankees, Red Sox, A’s, and Dodgers crews. Hey, four teams that I don’t like much, anyway. 🙂
    The worst broadcaster: Jerry Remy of the Red Sox crew. He’s the type that just describes what you’re seeing on the replay anyway. He gives you very little of any kind of insight. And he does it with a thick Archie Bunker accent. On a side note: his son’s in prison for murder.

14. giants54 said, on May 18, 2015 at 1:58 pm

One characteristic of these Giants teams that is beyond reproach is their resilency. Reminded this weekend of the being down in the 2012 NLCS to Reds.
    They came off two tough losses -one in Houston, yet still win the last 3 on the road in a park they aren’t exactly built for.

Take 2 of 3 and Bums maybe thinking, damn, we a chance to bury these guys a few weeks ago.

15. chipower9 said, on May 18, 2015 at 2:24 pm

One thing I forgot to mention re: yesterday’s game was Casilla closing it out with 3 Ks on 9 strikes. Only thing I can think of that would be more amazing would be 3 outs on 3 pitches. Tip of the cap to Santiago…

• Bozo said, on May 18, 2015 at 2:51 pm

They even have a name for it “the immaculate inning”. First time I’ve ever heard that baseball term, maybe because it doesn’t happen much.
      From the Giants website, “Baseball Almanac lists 79 previous immaculate innings, including one by Milwaukee’s Mike Fiers earlier this season, on May 7. It has happened in the ninth inning 15 times.”

With all the great Closers over the years, I would have thought it would have been done more often.

16. chipower9 said, on May 18, 2015 at 2:28 pm

And a tip of the cap and salute to Justin “Cowboy” Smith. Number 94 has decided to hang ’em up. Dude was a monster in his prime. Wishing him the best in whatever the next chapter may be.

• alleykat69 said, on May 18, 2015 at 4:10 pm

With ya Chi regarding the Cowboy!!
      Laid it out every game with class!!
      Damm he was one hell of a football player..

17. blade3colorado said, on May 18, 2015 at 3:02 pm

I know a bunch of Flappers are going to the upcoming Giants/Bums game, with Kershaw and Madbum. Envious.

What’s everyone doing for Memorial Day Weekend? A buddy and I are going 4Wheelin’ in our Jeep Wranglers in Moab. Looking forward to it.

By the by, in the first week of June, I am heading on a road trip to Missouri to visit an Uncle; then the East coast beckons . . . I have never taken an actual vehicle road trip East. Always West for the most part. Biggest one being a 3 month road trip with an ex-girlfriend to all of the western States and parts of Canada in 2008.

Mac, Pawlie, Loo, Gianthead and Bozo – any of you going to be around? Dunno when I will be in your area – I only know it will be a month long or more road trip. Let me know if any of you mugs want to check out a game, lunch, and/or dinner?

• Macdog said, on May 18, 2015 at 3:55 pm

Hey Blade, lemme know if your travels take you to Jersey (although I’m not sure why they would 🙂 ) Also, if you’re in NYC area early June the Giants are in town on 9-10-11 (Tu-W-Th). I’m going to the Tuesday game.

• blade3colorado said, on May 18, 2015 at 4:17 pm

Absolutely Mac!

18. unca_chuck said, on May 18, 2015 at 3:31 pm

Leaving for Kauai tomorrow. Woo hoo! 25 wedding anniversary . . .

• blade3colorado said, on May 18, 2015 at 3:37 pm

Whoa! Now, that sounds like a lot of fun . . . Enjoy yourself Chuck!

• blade3colorado said, on May 18, 2015 at 3:38 pm

Whoops! Forgot to mention – Congratulations to both of you on your 25th Silver Anniversary!

• sandog said, on May 18, 2015 at 4:03 pm

Congrats Chuck! Have a great trip!

• alleykat69 said, on May 18, 2015 at 4:07 pm

That’s great Chuck,Have an awesome time on your 25th!! Book-em Chuck-O

• snarkk said, on May 18, 2015 at 8:01 pm

Aloooooooooha….

19. blade3colorado said, on May 18, 2015 at 4:59 pm

Another former high school coach hired by the imbecile (Loria) located East of the Mississippi (Weiss of Sherpa lore is the other one).

Actually, I like Dan Jennings and hope he succeeds despite working for Loria. He does have a good baseball background, e.g., GM and scout. Nevertheless, I hope he surrounds himself with smart coaches.

• zumiee said, on May 18, 2015 at 5:35 pm

Too bad for the Marlin’s manager; it was kind of a bum deal. His closer blew several games, and that’s the closer the GM gave him.

20. zumiee said, on May 18, 2015 at 5:28 pm

It was mentioned here before the season that Pavlovic’s writing would disappear off the face of the Earth because it’s at the Comcast website, a truly hideous website, with pop-up ads, and things that float across the screen, and commercial videos that come on and startle you. It’s the same Faustean bargain (if I’m using that phrase correctly) that Baggs made: get on TV, and sacrifice your writing, your core talent, in the process. Baggs made it out of that labrynth, but Pavlovic is right in there. Baggs’ last months on TV were a sad spectacle, giving his nightly updates on Scutaro’s rehab “progress.” Pavlovic can tell us nightly on TV about so and so’s rehab. Hey, but he’s on TV!

• giants54 said, on May 18, 2015 at 6:51 pm

But A!ex gets to hang with Greg Papa! And the sweater!

Btw, I know this is crazzzy silly trivial but when I used to see Ratto on TV often, I would wonder about the sweater collection. Guy wears a sweater never a shirt or jacket. His contract must stipulate no tie or shirt. Sweater only. And they seem to always be different. I never saw the same one. Is this just me obsessing or anyone else ever wondered?
      Because surely he’s NOT a guy who cruises nordstroms on his lunch hour or slips away to Barney’s on a east coast swing. I’d be shocked if the dude ever steps foot in a dept store. Maybe the wife does. Or maybe his Bro is a haberdasher in Manhattan and ships them to Ray.

Forget Cain’s mystery elbow. Beat writers need to get on this. 😉

21. zumiee said, on May 18, 2015 at 5:42 pm

Interesting to see the photo in the Sunday SF Chronicle of the kayak protestors in Elliott Bay, gathered around the Shell drilling rig that’s temporarily docked there; the kayakers are protesting the drilling for oil in the Arctic Ocean near Alaska. It brought memories of all those kayaks in McCovey Cove during the height of the Bonds era. There are still a few kayaks in McCovey Cove, awaiting a homerun ball; and lots of kayaks in Seattle, trying to stop the ruination of the Arctic Ocean.

22. giants54 said, on May 18, 2015 at 7:00 pm

I regularly cheer against the A’s but really feel for Jarrod Parker. Brutal. Two TJ’s and now a fractured elbow.

23. blade3colorado said, on May 18, 2015 at 7:07 pm

Very, very cool photos of Hunter’s rehab and home life (nice looking gal he is dating too) . . .

• blade3colorado said, on May 18, 2015 at 7:12 pm

Also, check out the dumb bell bench press he is doing – not absolutely certain, but that looks like 65lbs in each hand. Knowing my way around a weight room, I am very impressed. Sheesh, unbelievable really considering he had a wrist injury.

• snarkk said, on May 18, 2015 at 8:09 pm

Pence, with 2 rings now, has already placed himself at a high location in the Giants hall of fame. I can’t think offhand in my Giants fan experience of anybody remotely like this guy with his interesting combo of skills, wackiness, and importance to team morale and performance. Moonman Minton was wacky, but not a contributor like Pence. I think the player Krukow may be the closest in terms of impact from a team morale POV. Unique dude, Pence. Surely, for whatever reasons, he’s blossomed in SF more than he would have in Philly and Houston…

• sandog said, on May 18, 2015 at 9:25 pm

I have a brother 13 years older than me that has followed the Giants for a long time. In fact, he is the only person I know who has been to Giants games at Candlestick, ATT, and Seal’s Stadium. He says Pence is his all-time favorite Giant, narrowly edging Jim Davenport. Strong praise from both of you for a guy who played for two other teams before coming here.