Was Yesterday The Best Day in the History of Bay Area Sports?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 22, 2015

A bold question, to be sure. Brazen, even. But let me take a shot at arguing for it….

I understand no championships were won. So right away, if that’s your criteria, there are at least 9 days that you’d say were better (3in5, 5 SB’s and an NBA Championship that I was too young to remember). And I don’t count championships that were won before I was born. I’m just THAT egotistical….. πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

The day began with the Giants beating the Dodgers. And not just the Dodgers, but the modern day version of Sandy Koufax. And the game winning run was a home run hit by our pitcher. And that win culminated a sweep of the Dodgers in a series where they failed to score a single run……

That’s a pretty good start to the day.

Then Game 2 of the Western Conference Finals happens. The fact that the Warriors are even in this is still something that blows the collective mind of the Bay Area. So bad for so long. I left the team for dead many times over my life.

That game could not have been more exciting. The Rockets fought like the beasts I didn’t think they were and with the clock ticking down and the ball in Harden’s hands as he crossed half court I could just feel the dagger coming. He inexplicably passes to Howard who kicks it back to him. That’s when Steph and Klay literally play patty cake with the basketball till time runs out. I exploded off my couch.

And hey, for those down with schadenfreude, the team with the worst record in all of baseball got shut out by The Rays in the worst, ugliest park in the league. The A’s, toiling away in last place. Love it.

So I’m not saying I’m right or you’re wrong or you’ll be right if you can produce a better day in Bay Area Sports history. But give it a shot it you like…….

1. zumiee said, on May 22, 2015 at 8:00 am

Yesterday was indeed awesome. I had a great time hanging out with Chi and Ed at a mini-mini-Flapalooza. Sorry we missed seeing Dirt. Our seats had a great angle on MadBum’s majestic homerun. A high-arcing blast deep into the leftfield bleachers. Lots of excitement. Pagan’s slide at the plate. Pence’s huge RBI single, and other key hits Giants got. Hernandez’s inexplicable decision to try for thirdbase on that single to leftfield.
    The weather was great. Always a blast meeting up with some Flappers.
    I listened to a big chunk of the Warriors game on the drive home from the BART station. Roy and Tolbert do a great job with a difficult task: broadcasting basketball on radio. Very exciting game.
    And now…..on to Colorado! Take care of business, Giants!

2. Irish Kevin said, on May 22, 2015 at 8:01 am

Well I happen to have been 26 yrs old when the 49ers beat the Cowboys in the NFC west championship gave. So that comes pretty close to yesterday.

3. willedav said, on May 22, 2015 at 8:02 am

Good one Flav. Dodgers high powered offense unable to score, at all, and Cy goes down again with unkindest cut from Bum taking him deep.
    While everyone will talk about last play or non play by Harden and Howard, so much goes on before that. Warriors are killing Houston with back cuts and back screens esp out of bounds plays that Kerr draws up out of time outs. Running successful o/b play for a hoop is one of the best feelings a coach can have.
    Roye and Tolbert on radio are going, “How many times?…Uh, too many times!”

4. zumiee said, on May 22, 2015 at 8:07 am

Awesome:
    MadBum by himself: 1 run
    Entire Dodger team in 3 games: 0 runs.

5. chipower9 said, on May 22, 2015 at 8:12 am

Awesome thread, Flav.

I posted about yesterday at the end of the yesterday’s thread, but wanted to give another shout-out to Zumiee for the ticket yesterday. $78 for a Club level seat to the final game of a Giant-bumbino series…it doesn’t get much better. It was a great day at the yard…an awesome day all around! And to not only SWEEP the Art Dealer’s (had to throw in that name you gave the bums, Flav) sorry asses, but to BLANK THEM for three consecutive…well, that will make any Giant fan think they died and went to baseball heaven.

To Zumiee’s list of high points from the game, I would add Pagan with another great catch against the fence. Zumiee and I were discussing El Caballo Loco yesterday, and how he does not get enough credit from some (mainly the stat-hounds and Saber guys). The guy just brings an intangible to the team (and I know James would pooh-bah this), but fuck it…I truly feel he brings something that is NOT measure in the stat sheets.

Anyway…just a game full of highlight reel stuff. And Bum while he struggled (his pitch count wash high from the get-go), he gutted out the win. And yes, we had a great vantage point to watch MadBum’s rocket soar outta the yard!

One other thing we discussed yesterday was Bochy. Zume and I basically agreed that if you take Bochy out of the equation from the past five years, our boys in the Orange and Black probably do NOT win even one World Series title. And then on the drive in this morning I hear them quote the manager of the D-backs and he says to have a chance against the Giants, you would have to remove Bochy from the equation. High praise for Bochy, and damned well deserved!

Was cool to see Zumiee and Edd again, and to meet Zume’s friend Mike (super nice guy…hard-core Giant fan).

How Sweep IT IS!

GO GIANTS!

6. chipower9 said, on May 22, 2015 at 8:16 am

I have to give one more HUGE shout-out. And that is to our MAIN MAN, BIG FLAVOR. I was telling Zume yesterday while we were sitting there in the yard, how fucking cool it is that Flavor spun-up this blog, has kept it rolling for SO LONG, and what an absolute blessing it has been to meet some of you Flappers, and to have developed a great friendship with you. It is something I do not take for granted, and something for which I am very grateful. Thanks Flav! You are DA MAN! Your first beer is on me at the next Flapalooza that you make.

• Flavor said, on May 22, 2015 at 9:27 am

thanks Chi. Hopefully wordpress get their head out of their ass and fixes this domain mapping thing.

• chipower9 said, on May 22, 2015 at 9:47 am

I am with you, and suspect (hope like hell) that it all gets sorted out. Thanks again for the blog. Words cannot describe how fucking cool it really is.

7. willedav said, on May 22, 2015 at 8:27 am

McHale is getting heat for not calling a time out once Howard had the ball, but that also allows the other team to set their defense. Everyone is so well scouted nowadays with vid that the other team knows exactly what’s going on anyway.

McHale’s Celts have been in on some game deciding steals before too. One where Bird stole an inbound pass from Isaiah Thomas for a Dennis Johnson layup and another game ender where Havlicek burned Wilt and Philly by stealing a pass intended for Chet Walker he knew was coming after Russell had turned ball over underneath his own basket.

I’d agree Warriors carelessness with the ball is hard to watch and gives Houston more help than they need.
    Good series so far. Harden’s pass to Howard for the lob/dunk near the end was picture perfect

• ewisco said, on May 22, 2015 at 8:57 am

if it had been the end of any other period, there’s no way that harden would have done anything but stop and pop. the guy has been money with that shot for two games now. but here he passes. I think the moment got too big for him. no way that happens with curry.

• djloo27 said, on May 22, 2015 at 10:05 am

• chipower9 said, on May 22, 2015 at 11:11 am

I remember that play. I loved the Celtics as a kid…they were always the team I pulled for.

8. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 22, 2015 at 8:38 am

I don’t know about the best day in bay area sports history but it is hard to argue against it. This is certainly the golden age of sports in the area. For me at least.

I don’t take much joy in the A’s losing. It is nice not having to see my A’s fan friends talking smack on social media. I don’t take the opportunity to kick them when they’re down though. Giants fans laugh at your pathetic team errr rise above in these trying times for your club.

What can you say about the game yesterday? Bumgarner was fighting himself from the 1st inning on but hung in there through 6 &1/3 and hit a bomb because…well, because he’s bad ass. Kershaw has got to be wondering what the hell he needs to do to beat Bumgarner. He had the better line for the most part and still came up short. It seems like all of these dodger games lately have turned on the Giants’ x-factor in the dugout BB15. He just makes the right call at the right time with pitchers while Donnie Two Trips waits for the key moment to take place and then makes his move.

Duffy really struggled on both sides of the ball yesterday. Between he and Arias I counted 3 outs given away. Hard to fault them though when they aren’t getting much PT. I don’t remember Duffy getting much time at 2b as it is. He came through with a key DP late though and was denied a hit by Van Slyke making good play in RF.

Crawford coming through in his one AB should be mentioned. Dude is coming into his own.

Like Zum & Chi said it was a great day all around. Sorry I missed you fellas. I still haven’t forgotten you owe me that beer chi ;).

• chipower9 said, on May 22, 2015 at 9:24 am

You got it dirt. I am ALWAYS good on my commitments. Next time we meet-up for a Flapalloza, you got it. It will be my pleasure to offer up that cold one my friend!

9. Flavor said, on May 22, 2015 at 8:56 am

Hey– just to keep you guys in the loop, I have been charged twice by WordPress to renew domain mapping and it still says I haven’t renewed it. I’ve sent them an email through their *forums* telling them to fix this fuck up and they haven’t responded yet. Blog domain is set top expire in a week… If I don’t hear back from them, not sure what’s going to happen to the blog. And I can’t find any customer support # anywhere. If any of you know how to contact wordpress, please pass that info along.

• ewisco said, on May 22, 2015 at 8:58 am

I was getting some weird message on my phone to renew for another year. had no clue what it was about but it wouldn’t let me access the site directly, I had to go through the editor’s tools.

• Flavor said, on May 22, 2015 at 9:06 am

Yeah, I’ve been getting the email reminders, just haven’t dealt with it yet till today. I went to gethuman.com (which is the greatest website in the world, btw) and wordpress does not have telephone customer service. But I did get a direct email and hopefully they respond to that.

• djloo27 said, on May 22, 2015 at 9:28 am

Our lives are over..

10. djloo27 said, on May 22, 2015 at 9:29 am

Memo to the family of Williedav:

Please get him a Telestrator for Christmas…

• chipower9 said, on May 22, 2015 at 9:48 am

lqtm…If our paths ever cross, I will buy ya a beer just for that one, Loo.

11. chipower9 said, on May 22, 2015 at 9:43 am

While Bum did struggle yesterday as Dirt, I, and others have mentioned, the defense picked him up regularly.

la bumbinos:

0-7 RISP, and 10 LOB…compounded by Big Country’s HR tells ya all ya need to know.

One final tidbit, for the season:

Kershaw: 2-3, 4.32.
    Bumgarner: 5-2, 2.84.

12. chipower9 said, on May 22, 2015 at 9:45 am

I don’t typically spend a lot of time reading anything on ESPN, but came across this. Statistical analysis of measuring an NBA team’s greatness. Interesting to see where this year’s Warriors team stacks-up against some of the all-time greats:

13. Irish Kevin said, on May 22, 2015 at 10:51 am

Interesting stats

β–ͺ The Giants six-game home winning streak against the Dodgers is their longest since they took six in a row from Los Angeles at Candlestick Park from June 1 to Sept. 13, 1972. The last time they swept the Dodgers in back-to-back home series of three or more games was in 1961 (Aug. 18-20 and Sept. 8-10).

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/sports/mlb/san-francisco-giants/article21641466.html#emlnl=Morning_Newsletter#storylink=cpy

14. Carstie Clausen said, on May 22, 2015 at 11:08 am

How sweep it is! Last sighting of Broomhilda is that she was mounted on her distaff chariot, flying high and headed for the Box of Rox. Four games there could be a stretch for another sweep, but the Halloween Machine does seem to have found its hitting shoes ~ leading the league in BA with a nifty .269 and six or so regulars among the league’s top 2 dozen in OBP. The ducks will be on the pond in considerable numbers. Will the Coors Field Effect play towards bringing them home? Brunhilda wants another magical ride.

15. chipower9 said, on May 22, 2015 at 11:14 am

You never know what to expect at Coors Field. If our pitches can hold their own, I think it will be a Rocky Mountain High for the Orange and Black. Sock the Rox!

16. chipower9 said, on May 22, 2015 at 11:19 am

I know Flav doesn’t like to see the blog clogged-up with videos, but this one, IMO, was just too good not to share.

WS MVP TEES-OFF on Cy (and MVP winner) Kershaw…

17. alleykat69 said, on May 22, 2015 at 11:22 am

The HR tracker on Madbum’s was 417ft!!
    “COUNTRY STRONG”!!!
    Keyshawn won’t be forgetting that one for a loooong time!!!

18. Bozo said, on May 22, 2015 at 12:18 pm

This Dodger fan was not pleased with the sweep.
    My favorite line, “We could put SF on our sleeve, for Stupid Fucks. God Dammit!”

• Carstie Clausen said, on May 22, 2015 at 1:02 pm

He does kinda look like a LaBumbos fan.

• chipower9 said, on May 22, 2015 at 1:22 pm

I love the “I know it is early in the season, but I HATE LOSING TO THE FUCKING GIANTS!” I was waiting for the dude to have a heart attack! That was hilarious…thanks for the share, John.

• Bozo said, on May 22, 2015 at 1:30 pm

Is that a pillow the guy starts off smashing? I’ve seen TVs, Walls, coffee tables and even book cases get smashed, but a pillow?

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 22, 2015 at 4:00 pm

Only made it to 1:33. His parents should let him out of the basement more often it might help him cope with life better.

19. zumiee said, on May 22, 2015 at 12:49 pm

At the game yesterday, it was clear to see a problem that McGiggles has regarding the outfield defense against him. They are really cheating in, with no respect for any power that he might have. There just isn’t a lot of green space out there for something to fall in between the infielders and the outfielders. They’re treating him like he’s a typical pitcher batting. If he doesn’t generate some power, then he’s going to have to rely a lot on grounders getting through the infield, and is that what we want from a thirdbaseman on offense? He’s become the invisible man, and something needs to happen with 3B. Clearly, Sabean/Evans/Bochy can see it, too. More Duffy for a while, or perhaps a trade, or bring up Duvall and give him a try. Something.

• zumiee said, on May 22, 2015 at 12:52 pm

Chi, Ed, and I were really digging the thought of Loo’s guy, Beltran, coming over in a trade.

• chipower9 said, on May 22, 2015 at 1:26 pm

I think you mean BeltrΓ©, right?

We already did a Beltran deal…and once was enuff. πŸ˜›

• zumiee said, on May 22, 2015 at 3:01 pm

Beltre, right! Brain glitch. πŸ™‚

20. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 22, 2015 at 1:36 pm

Aoki to Arias to McGehee was a nice relay to cut down Guerrero at 3b.

• zumiee said, on May 22, 2015 at 3:03 pm

For some reason, that reminded me of Tinkers to Evers to Chance. In the “Crazy ’08” book, it talks about how much those three disliked each other. That’s kind of funny.

• zumiee said, on May 22, 2015 at 3:07 pm

On the Dodgers blog I look in on once in a while, they were blasting Guerrero for that play. He’s also the guy that tried to act like he’d caught that ball that bounced a couple of feet in front of him earlier in the series. The Dodger fans are questioning his baseball IQ.

• zumiee said, on May 22, 2015 at 3:10 pm

Or that was Hernandez. I’m getting the two mixed up. They both are used as utility infield and outfield.

21. zumiee said, on May 22, 2015 at 3:24 pm

Speaking of the Dodgers, I read a thing today that said that Pederson is on pace to strike out 197 times this season. I wonder if that pace will change. He doesn’t shorten up with two strikes on him, and seems in no hurry to change his style.

• chipower9 said, on May 22, 2015 at 7:50 pm

I doubt he changes…the dude is not going to get cheated in ANY AB.

22. zumiee said, on May 22, 2015 at 3:28 pm

On the big scoreboard at the ballpark, when they flashed Guerrero’s picture, you could clearly see where part of his ear had been bitten off. That’s one of the craziest stories in recent years in baseball.

23. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 22, 2015 at 3:52 pm

Zum, I didn’t notice that about Guerrero on the score board. I think he was the same guy that tried that terrible deek the other night. When is your next game? End of June for me.

• zumiee said, on May 22, 2015 at 4:02 pm

My next one will be coming up fairly quickly, Sat., May 30th, vs. the Braves. With my wife being a Braves fan, we always catch a Giants/Braves game. It turns out it’s a bobblehead giveaway that day. Fans get either Belt, Crawford, or Petit. Everyone gets one, which is cool. No need for a long line. It’s a night game, which is the only negative aspect. Makes for a late night getting back home.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 22, 2015 at 4:09 pm

Yeah, that makes for a long day. I go in on season tickets with a bunch of other people. I don’t even know who they all are but there are at least 12 people. I end up with 5 games which is just right for me. In the past I’ve had a couple back to back games or in the same week and it was tough to coordinate everything. I don’t know how someone could keep up if you had 20 games or something crazy. I like how they changed the promotions too. I’ve been to some of those games with people lined up around the stadium and it’s nuts. I saw the Ishikawa bobblehead from Tuesday on eBay for $49 already. I didn’t realize there was this aftermarket for promotional swag. Braves are playing well lately so it could be a good game.

• chipower9 said, on May 22, 2015 at 7:55 pm

I had season tix the first three years in the new yard…there was three of us splitting tix, and I always had games I could not sell (Expos on a Tuesday night…good luck). On the aftermarket on swag, I have purchased a number of bobbleheads this way. Latest was the “Pence Fence Catch.” I will end up buying one of the Ishikawa with the chip/HR call…no doubt….gotta have one of those. Not sure when my next game will be, but I have been to three so far this year. .

• zumiee said, on May 22, 2015 at 4:05 pm

Guerrero’s ear now looks very similar to Holyfield’s. A piece in the top of the ear missing. For whatever reason, it wasn’t reconstructed more.

24. zumiee said, on May 22, 2015 at 4:21 pm

Panda-watch:
    There’s no Panda to watch lately. He’s still out with a knee injury.

• giants54 said, on May 22, 2015 at 5:55 pm

Ahhhhhh…. MY hear bleeds for red Sox fans

• chipower9 said, on May 22, 2015 at 7:57 pm

Fuck him. While I appreciate his contributions here, that ship has sailed…I could give a flying fuck about him.

25. alleykat69 said, on May 22, 2015 at 6:01 pm

Vogs must of been inspired by Madbum’s clout yesterday, cause he smoked that double..

26. giants54 said, on May 22, 2015 at 6:11 pm

That’s the belt ab we love…..

27. willedav said, on May 22, 2015 at 6:12 pm

Loo, thx for the vid. I hated the Celts, Yankees of the NBA. They won every year, til Wilt and co finally knocked them off once. That was my hero, Hal Greer, who threw the errant pass too.

I always dug the x and o part of b-ball. When I was a senior in HS, JV coach used to send me and a couple buddies out with a pass to other schools to do scouting report for upcoming game. We’d jot stuff down (plays, best player, fav moves), and then at the end put in stuff like who were the hottest cheerleader babes…and then he’d read the whole thing out loud in front of the team the next day.

28. willedav said, on May 22, 2015 at 6:24 pm

How can we get Riley Curry to replace AmyG?

29. Macdog said, on May 22, 2015 at 7:03 pm

Belted!

30. dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 22, 2015 at 7:03 pm

Belt. Upper deck. Wow!

31. Carstie Clausen said, on May 22, 2015 at 7:08 pm

OH YES! Was vibing him (along with scads of other Giants fans) “0 for two and overdue. Time to come through”. BELTED.

• alleykat69 said, on May 22, 2015 at 7:27 pm

Yeah Stix,
      Better scenario then some of my softball traveling team days…”play 2 and barbecue”

32. alleykat69 said, on May 22, 2015 at 7:08 pm

Holy Toledo,,Brandon Belt!!3rd freankin deck,estimated at 475 Wow!!
    That was a recarnation of Roy Hobbs light smashing HR!!

33. James said, on May 22, 2015 at 7:12 pm

If Belt, Timmeh, and Vogey defy the expectations of their biggest doubters, the NL west belongs to SF.

• chipower9 said, on May 22, 2015 at 7:59 pm

Is that statistically speaking?

• James said, on May 22, 2015 at 8:40 pm

No, it’s God speaking.

34. Flavor said, on May 22, 2015 at 7:28 pm

update on wordpress stealing my money: they did not respond to my email to them this morning about being charged twice (ie, once to many) for renewing domain mapping and yet still telling me I need to renew. I sent them another email from another email addy. This has to get fixed in 6 days or the blog goes bye bye. To be clear, this is a fuck up on there side.

• alleykat69 said, on May 22, 2015 at 7:41 pm

Nobody fucks with Flap Nation!!
      Think we need to hire a “Hitman”

35. Macdog said, on May 22, 2015 at 7:31 pm

Pour. It. On.

36. alleykat69 said, on May 22, 2015 at 7:35 pm

Digging this hit assault by the Giants!!!
    And screw it I’ll say it,were getting are 4th straight Shutout tonight!!!!!

• alleykat69 said, on May 22, 2015 at 7:46 pm

Shoot me Flappers.

• chipower9 said, on May 22, 2015 at 7:48 pm

BANG, Kat!

• chipower9 said, on May 22, 2015 at 7:49 pm

Shutouts are cool and all, but I could give a shit. Just put one in the W column and I am good.

• Macdog said, on May 22, 2015 at 7:50 pm

Yeah, Kat, way to go. πŸ˜‰

37. Macdog said, on May 22, 2015 at 7:45 pm

That fuckin’ place, a 7-0 lead on the Broncos would feel safer.

• Bozo said, on May 22, 2015 at 8:08 pm

Great line, Mac.

38. chipower9 said, on May 22, 2015 at 7:47 pm

The way our boys have been playing, this is exactly what you would expect. Belt’s HR? What a pussy. Come on Belt…show us your potential!

39. alleykat69 said, on May 22, 2015 at 8:10 pm

Coors field is for sure an insane asylum to play in.No lead is ever enough in this joint.

• chipower9 said, on May 22, 2015 at 8:28 pm

Shutouts be damned in this joint…

40. Carstie Clausen said, on May 22, 2015 at 8:17 pm

My money would be on Machi as the one to go down on Peavy’s return. Not unlikely they would start Jake out in the pen cause he would be pretty rusty to start and nobody on the rotation seems to be wilting at present.

• chipower9 said, on May 22, 2015 at 8:31 pm

Good guess…has to be.

41. Carstie Clausen said, on May 22, 2015 at 8:22 pm

Two too tall Texans double up for a bit of Coors Field insurance.

42. Macdog said, on May 22, 2015 at 8:23 pm

Duffster goes deep!

43. Bozo said, on May 22, 2015 at 8:25 pm

11-4 is good.

44. Macdog said, on May 22, 2015 at 8:25 pm

Stop the presses: The Dodgers have scored a run!

45. chipower9 said, on May 22, 2015 at 8:28 pm

Good to get a few back after that blown shutout…close it out…they all look the same in the W column.

46. chipower9 said, on May 22, 2015 at 8:32 pm

Just get this fucking game over and in the books, now.

47. chipower9 said, on May 22, 2015 at 8:32 pm

Fucking rain delay…that sucks….

48. chipower9 said, on May 22, 2015 at 8:33 pm

G-night Flap Universe…

49. sandog said, on May 22, 2015 at 8:41 pm

I’m down with the idea of getting Willie a Telestrator. And if we can’t get him a Telestrator, can we at least hook him up with Telecaster—like Jeff Beck?

I also endorse the Riley Curry for Amy G swap.

As for the NBA, I’m bummed we didn’t get Clips/GSW matchup. That would have been an epic bloodbath.

I feel like a douche for doubting the Giants big time earlier in the year. Can’t believe the roll we are on right now.

• Lurker John said, on May 22, 2015 at 9:22 pm

We’ve all been there at one time or another as baseball fans.

• James said, on May 22, 2015 at 9:32 pm

Beck traded his 54 Esquire away . . . . Telecastrator?

50. alleykat69 said, on May 22, 2015 at 8:46 pm

Unbelievable, 3 outs away up 6 runs, a doubleheader tomorrow, and their gonna go all night long to get this one in? Well “That’s Baseball” “ain’t over till the fat lady sings”

51. snarkk said, on May 22, 2015 at 8:57 pm

Anybody else getting some BS message from wordpress to renew for one year when you access the blog on your mobile phone? I can’t get past the message to access the Flap. I don’t get the message when accessing from home on the PC…

• snarkk said, on May 22, 2015 at 9:03 pm

Alright, I just read the earlier posts on this crap. I guess BF is on this. I have no clue WTF this is.
      Do we need alternative plans in case the Flap ends in a week?… πŸ˜‰

• chipower9 said, on May 22, 2015 at 9:31 pm

Alternate plan? Storm The Splash and take it over???

• chipower9 said, on May 22, 2015 at 9:25 pm

I have never got it from my phone, but got it for the first time this evening on the home computer.

52. snarkk said, on May 22, 2015 at 9:00 pm

That HR hit off Kontos — off the bat, I thought it was a medium pop to Pence…

• Lurker John said, on May 22, 2015 at 9:23 pm

That ball is an out in most ballparks, I’d guess. I really hat Coors Field. It’s an abomination.

53. zumiee said, on May 22, 2015 at 9:12 pm

Pads tie up the Dodgers 1-1. Counting last Sunday, the Dodgers have scored two runs this week so far.

54. Flavor said, on May 22, 2015 at 9:16 pm

I think it’s just a problem for people trying to log in with their phones. Irritating is the right word for this. We’ll see if they respond this weekend. If not, there’s an 877 number next to both of the charges they hit me with, I’ll call that Mon and hopefully get some action. Fuck wordpress. Charge me twice and still tell me I haven’t renewed? Fucking backward ass fucks.

55. James said, on May 22, 2015 at 9:16 pm

An Orson Welles I haven’t seen before now on TCM, and it’s only 63 minutes — probably ends just in time to catch the conclusion of the ballgame.

• zumiee said, on May 22, 2015 at 9:18 pm

Can hardly ever go wrong with Welles. The word ‘genius’ gets thrown around a lot these days, but that guy was a genius in his particular field, the dramatic arts.

• Lurker John said, on May 22, 2015 at 9:36 pm

I watch and am a fan of old movies in general (read: TCM junkie). There’s been lots of great actors and actresses over the decades, but Welles has always been one of my favorites, since the first time I watched Citizen Kane. So innovative and ahead of his time, as a director and as an actor.

Immortal Story is one I hadn’t seen before either.

• chipower9 said, on May 22, 2015 at 9:40 pm

Welles…he hit clean-up for the Yank-Mees back in the day, right? πŸ˜›

56. zumiee said, on May 22, 2015 at 9:50 pm

This sort of looks like Belt dropping his bat after hitting an HR….

57. zumiee said, on May 22, 2015 at 9:56 pm

He may strike out 197 times this season, but Pederson ain’t going to be changing his swing. He hit the game-winning HR for the Dodgers, as the Dodgers up their run total for the week to 3 runs. The Padres are just a flop after all the media hype over them in the off-season. You’d think the baseball media would know better, but they don’t. The Padres made a zillion moves in the off-season and so what? They still suck. They can’t use Kimbrel all that much if they’re an under .500 team.

58. zumiee said, on May 22, 2015 at 10:03 pm

Matt Kemp, .254/1/22. With a .645 OPS.
    1 homerun so far. Yikes.

• willedav said, on May 22, 2015 at 10:18 pm

Flav (and others here) called that. Their IF is still awful too.
      Ethier might not be a better hitter, but right now he’s doing a lot better than that.
      Tho maybe Ethier is a better hitter after all.

59. alleykat69 said, on May 22, 2015 at 10:11 pm

Doesn’t matter how much the Padres use Kimbrel right now. He stinks like the rest of the team do far.

60. zumiee said, on May 22, 2015 at 10:14 pm

Affeldt’s going to pitch after the delay? That’s surprising.

• snarkk said, on May 22, 2015 at 10:16 pm

He sucks now, as he sucked before the delay.
      He’s pretty much sucked all season, with a few good patches…

61. snarkk said, on May 22, 2015 at 10:16 pm

Take him out. WTF!

• snarkk said, on May 22, 2015 at 10:17 pm

Faces 5 hitters, 5 hits…

62. Macdog said, on May 22, 2015 at 10:17 pm

Affeldt picking up where he left off.

63. zumiee said, on May 22, 2015 at 10:19 pm

Affeldt must have pleaded his case to Bochy in the clubhouse; he wanted to clean up the mess he’d created, but all he did was add more mess. The rare Bochy flub.

• snarkk said, on May 22, 2015 at 10:27 pm

I thought the unwritten rule is one hour delay, and you need a new pitcher. This was nearly two hours…

64. snarkk said, on May 22, 2015 at 10:24 pm

Unreal, tying run at the plate. This ballpark is crazy…

65. Macdog said, on May 22, 2015 at 10:28 pm

Finally.

66. snarkk said, on May 22, 2015 at 10:29 pm

Boy, doubleheader tomorrow.
    And, they just used Casilla.
    Typical Coors BS game. Good that they started off the series with a W…

67. zumiee said, on May 22, 2015 at 10:29 pm

It’s always weird against the Rockies.

68. snarkk said, on May 22, 2015 at 10:31 pm

From the for what it’s worth department — salaries for 2015:
    MadBum $6.7M
    Coco Crisp $11 million

• zumiee said, on May 22, 2015 at 10:36 pm

Brian Wilson $10 million. πŸ™‚

• snarkk said, on May 22, 2015 at 10:39 pm

Yeah, at least Coco is on the DL, although probably long term. The Beard is done.
        Hey, Scoots is at $6 million this year, watching his kids in Miami. That’s $27 million total in cashed checks por nada…

• zumiee said, on May 22, 2015 at 10:44 pm

I just read recently that Ralph Barbieri got a $4 million settlement in a wrongful termination lawsuit against KNBR’s parent company Cumulus. Seems like a pretty big settlement. So I guess his lawyer gets a good chunk of that. I was not a Ralph fan. I miss him not at all on KNBR.

• snarkk said, on May 22, 2015 at 10:51 pm

Wow, that’ll buy a lot of Amici’s pizza. I looked it up, that was settled back in Sept 2013. I knew he sued, but never heard about it being settled. Could have been helped by his saying on air that he had Parkinson’s disease. Not too long after, they tossed him overboard. I don’t miss him either, but Cumulus is a total BS company. It (Cumulus/KNBR) has a limited partner interest in the Giants…

69. snarkk said, on May 22, 2015 at 10:35 pm

I’d take a split in Denver this weekend with no injuries, and smile leaving town.
    This series has train wreck weirdness written all over it…

• Lurker John said, on May 22, 2015 at 10:55 pm

Doesn’t every series in Colorado?

70. zumiee said, on May 22, 2015 at 10:39 pm

Heston and Petit tomorrow.

• snarkk said, on May 22, 2015 at 10:40 pm

Could be rough on Heston with that sinker at altitude. Hopefully he’s sharp…

71. snarkk said, on May 22, 2015 at 10:43 pm

Duffy again with production. I don’t see how you can keep him out of the regular starting LU much longer over McDP…

• zumiee said, on May 22, 2015 at 10:48 pm

They can’t. My nickname for McG now is The Invisible Man. He just looks done. I don’t know what happened to him over the off-season. I guess it’s just age and general decay of skills. We’ve seen “done” before. We know what it looks like. Rowand, Tejada, Huff, etc. When a dude’s done, he’s done.

• snarkk said, on May 22, 2015 at 10:54 pm

I would always be skeptical of a guy that has played in Japan, then come back. There’s a reason you head to Japan. Injury, age, get away from an ex wife, whatever. There are exceptions, to be sure — witness Voggy, and McDP was OK in Miami last year. Sheezus, he’s only 32. But, going to Japan has proven overwhelmingly not good on the old baseball CV…

• zumiee said, on May 22, 2015 at 11:03 pm

Good article, and one of the commenters had this insight:
        “I feared that McGehee would have a big drop in 2015 with us because his BABIP was so high in 2014 relative to his career and because it was high from April to July but back to career norms in August and September.”

• snarkk said, on May 22, 2015 at 11:11 pm

Good quote, zum. Maybe Sabes is hoping that McDP will right the ship late in the season. Meanwhile, Duffy should be in the LU…

72. alleykat69 said, on May 22, 2015 at 10:49 pm

Well Panik makes the final call on LIne ups now over Bochy, Snarkk, per latest commercial,so McDP may still have a pulse..

73. zumiee said, on May 22, 2015 at 10:53 pm

At only 1 1/2 games behind the Dodgers, the Giants are also one of the Wild Card teams at the moment; the Cubs are the other one. You had to figure the Mets would start dropping like a stone at some point. And the Pirates continue to struggle. And the Padres are a dud so far.

74. djloo27 said, on May 22, 2015 at 11:09 pm

Does Affeldt get credit for a “hold”?

• snarkk said, on May 22, 2015 at 11:15 pm

Holding what, his crotch?…

75. snarkk said, on May 22, 2015 at 11:16 pm

Anyway, nite all.
    This pop up renewal thing is ticking me off now that it’s happening on my PC when I log back in…

76. unca_chuck said, on May 23, 2015 at 1:20 am

Shit, thought it was just me with the weirdness going on with WordPress. My site is fine but I had to side-door this to get it to work on my phone. Works on my wife’s phone tho. Hard to best the NFC championship game of 1981, or even 11/1/10, but the sweep out of the Dogs, and dubs recklessly scraping by was pretty damn crazy.

The Warriors are about the turnovers. I think that since Houston likes up-tempo, these guys get greedy to go faster as well and made dumb passes. It sure seems to snowball on them. It ain’t a possession here and there, it’s 4 possessions in a row.

77. chipower9 said, on May 23, 2015 at 7:15 am