All We Do is HIT!!!!!!!!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on May 28, 2015

Granted, we haven’t quite hit June yet. I was still struck by this box score that I pulled up on my phone yesterday:

hitters1

I would argue that the Giants have NEVER had 8 guys hitting .291 or better in the line up at the same time.

And congrats to the Warriors. 40 years is a long time. I mean, 40 years ago Jerry freaking Brown was governor of California. Remember him? That’s an incredible timeline milestone to use to appreciate…..oh wait….Never mind.

On Thursday, the Giants visit the While House again. Later that evening the Warriors play Game 1 v the Cav’s. It’s a Bay Area world we’re all livin’ in….

________________________

then and now…..

oldandnew

1. willedav said, on May 28, 2015 at 6:47 am

Nice to see Barnes come through when they really needed it.
    Disturbing thing for me is all the dumb turnovers and fouls when they were up by 10, and it happened repeatedly. Cavs are a similar problem as Houston—couple great players surrounded by role guys.
    Doubt you see LeBron and Irving do some of the stupid stuff DHoward and Harden did last night tho.

What to make of Bochy proposed LU changes at home? Giants splits I think are more park factor than anything. You could argue who hits where quite a bit, but Panik has shown more pop than last year, as has Crawford.
    If Duffy is to be in LU everyday, well, somebody has to hit 8th.

I can remember as a kid reading an article in old SPORT mag about a Phillies team that hit .300 one year early 1930s, and finished dead last in NL. Bottom 2 guys in LU hit .270s. Pitching was dreadful of course, and lot of high water offensive records came in those days.

2. wilcojoe said, on May 28, 2015 at 7:07 am

Congrats to the Warriors. Harden once again showed that the moment was too much for him. Always the bridesmaid and never the bride.

3. unca_chuck said, on May 28, 2015 at 7:23 am

Yeah, the Dubs are playing fairly shitty and still winning. Klay and Steph haven’t put together a solid game at the same time recently. Granted it’s harder in the playoffs as Memphis and Houston are good to great defensively, but the carelessness has to be addressed. Kerr has been saying all year that he has to walk the line between stifling creativity and reining in the recklessness. Cleve doesn’t defend well at all, so I see the Warriors taking this.

I think they should be able to out run Cleveland. Dubs in 6. Atlanta was undermanned, beat-up, and sloppy and still gave Cleve a hard time. Chi as well..

BTW another case of a colossally horrible game by the refs. Howard is a heartless bitch. Harden? Sheesh. 2 FGs and 13 turnovers? That’s coming up microscopic.

• blade3colorado said, on May 28, 2015 at 7:35 am

Not as confident as you Chuck. The long respite will benefit Cleveland, especially Kyrie Irving, who has a sore knee. Lebron is beat up as well, so a few days off will help him too. Additionally, Love being out due to injury isn’t a negative in my opinion. Frankly, he didn’t mesh with this team, so the silver lining is that he is out and Tristan Thompson is in. The latter is playing well. Dunno about J.R. Smith . . . He has been a wonderful addition to Cleveland’s roster, but I still recall him acting like a “knucklehead” here in Denver (and also on the Knicks).

Regardless, looking forward to a good series.

4. unca_chuck said, on May 28, 2015 at 7:25 am

Bogut and green constantly get called for the most tickt tacky things while Curry get blasted, grabbed and hassled all game.

• ewisco said, on May 28, 2015 at 10:04 am

i couldn’t watch the stupid thing. when howard went up after a rebound and barnes got called for a foul because he had his hand on his back I nearly through shit at the tv. there’s two sports where, if they wanted to, the refs could easily effect the outcome: basketball and the home plate ump. i’m just not sure what i’m watching when I watch the nba

5. xoot said, on May 28, 2015 at 7:30 am

As I glanced over the daily stats at BB Reference this morning, I swear I saw Brandon Crawford tied for 8th in the WAR top ten. AS year for Craw. Who was it a couple of years back who suggested AS selections should be based on WAR? Twinfan, I think. I sort of like that idea. Would beat the hell out of on-line voting.

The inhabitants of the E Coli continue to tank, despite the efforts of two AS candidates there. Interesting fact, according to the oakland beat writer: Yesterday the starters for the Tigers and the a’s both no hit the other side for the first three innings–and that hasn’t happened since 1900. 19 effing hundred. (The a’s starter, Kazmir, soon thereafter left the game and headed off to get his pitching shoulder scanned in a MRI tube.)

Meanwhile–the Giants are now one game out of first place. April sure seems like the distant past. And this Giants team should only get better.

6. willedav said, on May 28, 2015 at 7:34 am

Fwiw, found some numbers on that Phils team from 1930 (though not the article I was looking for).
    Team BA was .315 (and they did finish last), led by Chuck Klein at .386 and SF’s own Lefty O’Doul at .383.
    Team ERA was 6.71, and gave up 1199 runs in 154 games, of which Phils lost 102.

I loved reading SPORT mag as a kid; how would you go about finding archived stuff from ’60s?

7. Irish Kevin said, on May 28, 2015 at 8:02 am

Don’t know if this is old news:
    Giants pitcher Jake Peavy (back) surrendered six earned runs on nine hits and two walks in 4 2/3 innings while striking out two in his rehab start with Triple-A Sacramento on Wednesday.

• chipower9 said, on May 28, 2015 at 9:05 am

Sorry – I did not read any of the posts before adding mine (hence the duplicate info on Peavy).

48 games in and a certain player has been in 45 of them. 55 to go, Kev.

• Irish Kevin said, on May 28, 2015 at 12:02 pm

Ha ha, yeah, yeah, he is looking good for 100. But you should be careful, you don’t want to jinx him!! 😁😁😁😁

8. chipower9 said, on May 28, 2015 at 8:56 am

Great thread and got a laugh on the Jerry Brown thing.

I recently reached-out to Twin to see how he is doing, and he gave me the green light to share his status. The good: Twin has not had a brain tumor in over a year, but due to the radiation seeds that were implanted after his last craniotomy, he has some radiation damage that is progressive. So, he has seizures, trouble walking, and a right hand that is problematic. He says that other than a short-term memory problem and speech problems, he is still able to take care of Merna, who is paralyzed from her shoulders down on the left side. But, Twin says they are still in their home (and happy about that) and that he can still take care of Merna. Zeke, Twin’s beloved dog is getting old, too. So, they are all having their struggles, but getting along as best they can. Anyway, regardless of your thoughts about the man, he was at one time an instrumental contributor going back to the pre-Flap/Splash days, and for many of the years on the Flap. I thought some of you who have known Michael for a while might appreciate an update. Here is wishing Twin the best.

Bay Area of Greatness – congrats to the Warriors! There were times when that game last night was dicey, to say the least. And with the foul troubles, Thompson’s bleeding ear, etc., it was good to see them persevere and put away the pesky Rockets. 40 years…and now we need just four more wins!

What a great win yesterday. Nice to see the team suck it up during a tight game and get the win. Also, a nice 5-2 roadie was cool, too, especially after the debacle at Coors Field.

Here is the line for Peavy from last night’s game against Nashville, compliments of my friend Mike:

4.2 IP, 9 H, 6 ER, 2 BB, 2 Ks, 11.57 ERA.

Not a great line by any stretch, but you have to figure with the long lay-off, there will be rust to knock-off, and he probably needs to get his timing and mechanics in order. (This is me being the glass-half-full optimist.) I do hope the dude can come back and contribute…what the hell, the team is paying him 10 mil.

Not sure many will care. I shared a link on the Uribe trade yesterday. Well, that has been finalized, and I thought this was a very good analysis of the moving parts of this six player swap.

The Bravos visit tonight…will we see Uribe in the line-up?

• wilcojoe said, on May 28, 2015 at 9:18 am

Thanks for the update Chi. We’re all thinking about you Twin, and wishing you the best.

• blade3colorado said, on May 28, 2015 at 9:31 am

Yes, much appreciated here Chi . . . Glad to hear Twin is doing good overall.

• chipower9 said, on May 28, 2015 at 11:15 am

Wilco and Blade, you are both welcome.

• Irish Kevin said, on May 28, 2015 at 12:05 pm

Yes, thank you Chi. Twin is the best.

• Carstie Clausen said, on May 28, 2015 at 2:51 pm

All the best for Michael and Merna. Thanx for the info, Chi. Glad someone’s keeping us posted.

• chipower9 said, on May 28, 2015 at 7:19 pm

You are welcome, Stix. Michael was a part of the core group for so long, I just feel compelled to check on him on occasion and to see how he is doing. I am glad he was okay with me sharing his status here.

9. chipower9 said, on May 28, 2015 at 9:09 am

When you look back at April and then someone had told you (without ya knowing) that our boys would be eight games over .500 and a game back of la bumbinos, you would have said, yeah right (especially with the Giant’s injuries).

Dodgers just dropped one to the Bravos last night, and now go to St. Louie where the Cards are 18-5 at home.

The Braves come to town playing .500 ball, and are 11-13 on the road. Time to make hay and take over the top spot in the NL West! As was the battle cry for most of the post-season last year…”Why Not!?”

10. Flavor said, on May 28, 2015 at 9:36 am

check out the pic I just posted in the main thread.

• chipower9 said, on May 28, 2015 at 10:59 am

That is cool as hell…thanks, Flav.

11. blade3colorado said, on May 28, 2015 at 10:05 am

Everyone knows the story, but it’s worth repeating . . . Duffy is probably my favorite player on the Giants (so many to choose from). This excerpt was taken from a CSN article:

“The Giants selected Duffy in the 18th round of the 2012 MLB Draft out of Long Beach State.

In 2013, he hit four home runs for Single-A Augusta, and five home runs for Single-A San Jose.

In 2014, he hit three home runs over 97 games with Double-A Richmond, before surprisingly getting called up to the Giants in August.

With San Francisco, he hit .267 with no home runs and eight RBI in 34 regular season games, and only got six at-bats in the postseason.

Duffy was not considered a lock for the 2015 Opening Day roster, but after hitting .361 with three home runs and 15 RBI in spring training, he got the nod.

“I don’t know what else he can do,” Bruce Bochy said at the time.

The Giants planned to use Duffy as a utility-man, but as Casey McGehee continued to struggle, Duffy continued to get starts at third base.

And he continuously delivered.”

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 28, 2015 at 10:23 am

Duffy has been fantastic. Go DirtBags! Or Go Beach! I always hated that difference at LBSU. They’ve got a pretty cool athletic facility in the shape of a pyramid

• chipower9 said, on May 28, 2015 at 11:04 am

Good post, Blade. Minor correction – Duffy was drafted in 2012…fat fingers be damned!

• blade3colorado said, on May 28, 2015 at 11:49 am

Hahaha – blame CSN.

• chipower9 said, on May 28, 2015 at 11:11 am

Duffy is one of my favorites, too. I mentioned yesterday that he reminds me of another lean 3rd sacker from the Giants – Bill Meuller. I love all of the kids…DuffMan, Panik, and Susac (Sactown boy).

Also, Duffy was the Eastern League batting champ during his year as a Flying Squirrel in Richmond (2014). Not too shabby, as the Eastern League is a known “pitcher’s league.”

12. Flavor said, on May 28, 2015 at 10:27 am

I heard on the radio this morning that Duffy never hit a homerun while at LBSU. How is that possible?

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 28, 2015 at 10:43 am

Duffy’s college career at LBSU

G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO AVG OBP SLG OPS
      140 501 49 127 16 1 0 60 10 8 36 56 0.251 0.293 0.290 583.00

Considering his play thus far is it safe to call this a draft day win?

• chipower9 said, on May 28, 2015 at 11:13 am

I think it safe to say, that based on a comparrison of those stats and his minor and major league stats, that he has exceeded expectations. Definitely a “diamond in the rough” for an 18th round pick.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on May 28, 2015 at 12:28 pm

I read somewhere that they tweaked his swing a bit in the minors. Similar to what was done with Belt.Score another one for Sabevans.

• blade3colorado said, on May 28, 2015 at 11:47 am

Apparently, a large outfield per his interview on CSN (see video below where he explains). Kruk thinks he is capable of 20 bombs a year.

13. unca_chuck said, on May 28, 2015 at 10:37 am

Chuck, nice update on the Oracle. We’ve all had our share of run-ins with Twin, but it was (mostly) in good fun.

Hope all continues as good as possible, Mike. Give Merna a hug and Zeke another burger from the gang here.

As far as the Duffman goes, I’m glad they pulled the plug on McDoof way before they did with Ray Ray.

• chipower9 said, on May 28, 2015 at 11:17 am

Yep, Charlie – I had more than my fair share of run-ins with Twin. And I will never profess to knowing it all when it comes to the intricacies of baseball, but I will say that I learned a lot about the game from the man. And for that I am thankful. That, and all crankiness aside (aren’t we all from time to time), he seems like a genuine good guy.

• twinfan1 said, on May 28, 2015 at 12:37 pm

Thanks, Just a couple corrections- I have been tumor free for over 3 years, not one. The “bad” is quite bad because as the radiation damage progresses it will eventually turn me into a lovely houseplant At least my NHL is in remission. But knowing what the future holds is rather frightening , like *knowing* that you are going to get Alzheimer’s soon.
        Anyway, see you. And I’ll leave you with a controversial opinion- it’s time for Pagan to be the 4th outfielder. That’s a real soft .300 with his OBP 8th on the team and OPS 9th. Blanco is better.

• Bozo said, on May 28, 2015 at 2:22 pm

Good to see ya here,Twin. Take care and keep on rolling.

• chipower9 said, on May 28, 2015 at 7:26 pm

Glad to see you check in, Michael. And I was looking specifically at the team OBP and OPS the other day, specifically to see where Pagan stood. I don’t know…I would have to chew on this. While his numbers may be soft, I still think Pagan brings something to the party that few on the team does (call if spark or whatever), and I know that some of you hard-core stat guys disagree. I just feel that Pagan brings a type of energy that is not measurable in the stat line. So, on the surface I would have to disagree (not the first time you and I had a disagreement, and hopefully, not the last). Wishing you and Merna all the best, Twin. You and yours (Zeke included) are in my thoughts and prayers.

14. unca_chuck said, on May 28, 2015 at 10:38 am

Troubling news was Klay Thompson couldn’t drive after the game last night, and was throwing up all night as well.

Hope he’s ready in a week.

• Flavor said, on May 28, 2015 at 10:41 am

even more troubling was that he never went through concussion protocol— they just stopped the bleeding in his ear and sent him back. Then when it started bleeding again he had to go back for 3 stitches. How the fuck do you sustain a blow like that to your head and NOT have to go through concussion protocol?

• chipower9 said, on May 28, 2015 at 11:14 am

Damned good question. Hope Clay is ready for next week. He is going to be a key piece if the Warriors win it all.

15. unca_chuck said, on May 28, 2015 at 10:39 am

Did the dubs borrow the giants medical staff?

• ewisco said, on May 28, 2015 at 11:30 am

nice one! Also best wishes to the TwinFan.

16. vogelsheiner said, on May 28, 2015 at 12:12 pm

Great to see the Warriors in the finals, but lose and the season becomes a dull ache. GIants 2002. 49ers in 2012. Unfortunately expectations being high, nothing less than a Championship will do. Or maybe it’s just me. I’m excited. Beat the bron. But feel for poor Cleve. They have had so little to cheer about for so long (no championships in any sport since 1964)…and with apologies to those living in Clev, it pales next to SF Bay Area.

• chipower9 said, on May 28, 2015 at 7:28 pm

Good post. I agree. Anything other than the championship will be a huge let-down, IMO.

17. willedav said, on May 28, 2015 at 12:21 pm

Great pic, Flav. All the fros and big mustaches plus sideburns, mid 70s.
    I liked Butch Beard too as a player. I remember story from when he was hired to coach Jersey and wanted to install dress code (jackets etc.) on the plane for all road trips. D Williams whips out his check book and asks him how much the fines will be.

Gotta admit I don’t remember the guy btw Attles and Mullin; most teams had few assistants in those days.
    And no team had an owner quite like Mieuli.

• Macdog said, on May 28, 2015 at 3:55 pm

I think that was Derrick Coleman.

• Macdog said, on May 28, 2015 at 6:00 pm

I have a book from the 70s, “Pro Basketball Encyclopedia,” that has that exact Warriors team picture. The guy next to Attles is Joe Roberts, who played on Ohio State’s 1960 title team.

18. willedav said, on May 28, 2015 at 12:34 pm

Best of luck to Twin. I cannot imagine the inner strength it has taken going through life with the health issues he has endured since his service to our country.

My sister works for VA down in LA and describes it as a clusterfuck of obfuscation and ossification. It is really unfortunate that since its inception there has been so little oversight, and even worse, so little funding in support of the care and feeding of America’s veterans.

• Carstie Clausen said, on May 28, 2015 at 2:59 pm

So little funding for the vets but plenty for the flying dud, the F-35, with the cost being over a trillion by now and the cost-overruns to the bankster controlled WarDefense industry being a big chunk of that sum. Even a few measly billions from that boondoggle would have saved the lives of many a vet and would have brought better care and much comfort to tens of thousands.

• chipower9 said, on May 28, 2015 at 7:33 pm

Great post Willie (specifically in regards to the short-changing of our vets). I served for 31 years (four plus active, including first gulf war, and the rest in the reserve), and have been fortunate to have good civilian healthcare. I really do not look forward to the day that I have to use VA’s medical service.

And it is not only the F-35. What about the bailout of Wall Street…BILLIONS of dollars, and yet we cannot take care of our vets, or provide an affordable education for your young and brightest. As Elizabeth Warren says, the game is rigged, and as Bernie Sanders says, it is time for a revolution. Our founding fathers would be appalled with the current state of our government. Sad.

19. unca_chuck said, on May 28, 2015 at 3:15 pm

Flav, I heard that Thompson passed the protocols that are in place with no symptoms.The symptoms developed after the game.

20. zumiee said, on May 28, 2015 at 3:41 pm

Facial cuts are very common in basketball, and I don’t see a problem with how the Warriors handled it.

21. zumiee said, on May 28, 2015 at 4:12 pm

Blanco ahead of Pagan? For something to be controversial, more than one person has to believe it.

• chipower9 said, on May 28, 2015 at 7:34 pm

See my earlier post, Zume. With all due respect to Twin and his deep knowledge of the game, I have to respectfully agree to disagree with that one. Crazy Horse, IMO, is instrumental to the team’s fortunes. He needs to play as frequently as often, IMO.

22. zumiee said, on May 28, 2015 at 4:19 pm

The Warriors have been showing the toughness they need to show in the playoffs. It gets rough out there, and the Warriors are showing they are up for that challenge. That’s very impressive. They have been perceived as a mostly finesse team, and the national media is seeing that there’s more to them than just that.

• blade3colorado said, on May 28, 2015 at 4:22 pm

Ironically, the Barry led Warrior’s team was also perceived as “soft” too. The Bullets were considered big favorites to win the series back then. The Bullets got swept. So much for so-called experts.

• chipower9 said, on May 28, 2015 at 7:35 pm

Nice call, Blade.

23. zumiee said, on May 28, 2015 at 4:23 pm

All the best to you, TF. You’re a baseball blog legend, and I mean that with a lot of respect. I still remember how in the 2010 season, you almost single-handedly kept our daubers up when it got really bleak. You keep picking the Giants to win the World Series, and they mostly keep winning it. That’s some serious mojo working there! 🙂

24. blade3colorado said, on May 28, 2015 at 4:42 pm

Zum, apparently your email address has changed. Pawlie sent you and I an email and he received the fatal “Yahoo Mailer-daemon” notification indicating this address was no longer valid. Anywho, you might want to provide that to him.

Sooooooo, why was he contacting us? He thought both of us would be interested in this article about the Colorado river . . . http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2015/05/25/the-disappearing-river

It is fascinating article. As you might be aware, I worked for the Bureau of Reclamation, so drought is something my former organization has dealt with for at least the last 16 years. In fact, it is a misnomer to say that the California drought has only been around for 5 or 6 years as many maintain in California . . . Or, as the article accurately points out, “That imbalance has been exacerbated by the drought in the Western United States, now in its sixteenth year, but even if the drought ended tomorrow problems would remain. The river has been “over-allocated” since the states in its drainage basin first began to divide the water among themselves, nearly a century ago, and scientists expect climate change to strain it further, in part by reducing precipitation in the mountains that feed it.”

If you or anyone else wants to know more about how California would turn into a desert in about 2-4 weeks if the proverbial water spigot was turned off, read Cadillac Desert, the definitive book about water reclamation in the Western U.S.

• xoot said, on May 28, 2015 at 4:58 pm

I liked that New Yorker article, too. I was amazed at how (relatively) little water Las Vegas drains out of the Colorado River (and its lakes). Also, the section on the value of irrigating SoCal desert as farmland was interesting–the soil’s great, once it’s wet, and because the weather’s warm year round and storms are rare, crops are bountiful and predictable. The big drag is LA/San Diego. Pumping all that water over the mountains to Hollywood and dodger stadium is real waste. Shut THAT tap off.

• blade3colorado said, on May 28, 2015 at 5:06 pm

Xoot, if you get a chance – read Cadillac Desert . . . It chronicles the corruption, rivalry and other crap that went on between the Bureau of Reclamation, Corp of Engineers, and other water entities (LA). Fascinating read.

• xoot said, on May 28, 2015 at 5:26 pm

I will check that out. Thanks.

• blade3colorado said, on May 28, 2015 at 6:44 pm

Also, good point about Las Vegas having little impact on the Colorado river. In fact, most people are amazed when told that agriculture is the big culprit (not cities), drawing more then 80% from all sources, regardless of location (e.g., California, Colorado, Nevada, etc.).

• Carstie Clausen said, on May 28, 2015 at 6:55 pm

Agricultural draw on the Colorado is, in many cases, ridiculous. Like alfalfa and corn as primary examples. They are both extremely thirsty crops and can be more efficiently grown in the breadbasket Midwest. Same thing with dairy cattle. Better naturally watered parts of the country can readily supply the West-southwestern markets with milk and dairy products. Water for ag in the arid west should be strictly limited to crops which cannot be grown elsewhere in the country such as almonds and apricots.

• blade3colorado said, on May 28, 2015 at 7:10 pm

All good points Stix.

• chipower9 said, on May 28, 2015 at 7:39 pm

Thanks Blade. I am always interested in environmental issues, and this looks like a great read (I have started reading it), and will also check-out “Cadillac Desert.” Thanks for the shares, brother.

• blade3colorado said, on May 28, 2015 at 7:48 pm

De nada Chi. Wouldn’t have known about this article if not for Pawlie though.

25. unca_chuck said, on May 28, 2015 at 5:29 pm

Chinatown redux . . .

26. eddacker said, on May 28, 2015 at 6:13 pm

Great to see the man responsible for me being a flapper. As always, best of everything Twinfan.
    Go Gigantes!

Love the warrior’s pic as I was a fan in those days. I like what the team has accomplished this year, too. That Curry guy must be a good player and the way that team was built over time is interesting. Looks like I will be watching the finals.
    In-between innings.

• djloo27 said, on May 28, 2015 at 6:52 pm

I know for a fact that color film was easily available in 1975…

27. Carstie Clausen said, on May 28, 2015 at 6:52 pm

Sporting a 1.50 ERA to lead MLB in that category, Miller has not yet been lit-up. Maybe it’s time for a few Conga linedrives.

28. Paul Sorensen said, on May 28, 2015 at 6:57 pm

* Hi to Michael, miss you here. * Willie, yeah, Sport magazine was my fav as a kid, mostly because of the many full-page photos they had of baseball players, which I’d put all over my walls. Sports Illustrated? Ugh, no big photos… 🙂 * Used to take my Jeep down to Death Valley and Joshua Tree quite a bit, loved jeepin’ in Death Valley. The site where Owens Lake was before they drained it to feed LA was always an eerie site. Chinatown redux indeed. As a Bay Area resident and lover of all things northern Cali, I always thought they should indeed pull the plug on LA and let those assholes get their own water. * June approaches. No swoon this year?

• chipower9 said, on May 28, 2015 at 7:43 pm

Agree on the pulling the plug. Let them build some desalination plants, or whatever. I saw stats recently that SoCal is the worst when it comes to people cutting back on their water use. And here i am capturing rain water (what little we get), took out my front lawn and put in a mix of native drought tolerant plants, and those assholes keep using water like there is no tomorrow. Fuck them.

29. djloo27 said, on May 28, 2015 at 7:18 pm

No matter what he does, Bright Eyes is probably a goner when $32 million of SP payroll is ready to be activated…

• Macdog said, on May 28, 2015 at 7:28 pm

I’ve been wondering about that. If Peavy is the first one back and Heston/Vogey are still pitching well, I say stick him in the ‘pen. The original plan had Peavy start and Vogey in relief, so now they can just reverse it.

• chipower9 said, on May 28, 2015 at 7:45 pm

Yeah, I have been pondering all of this, too. When (if…probably likely) Cain returns, it will complicate things even more. If Peavy and Cain return, I think Machi may be one of the guys outta luck.

30. Macdog said, on May 28, 2015 at 7:29 pm

So glad to see Uribe finally out of that Dodger blue.

• willedav said, on May 28, 2015 at 7:44 pm

Yeah, good Giant, definitely.
      Kinda funny next guy is f-wad AJ.
      Thx for DC and Joe Roberts too. They just don’t make shirts like that anymore.

• giants54 said, on May 28, 2015 at 7:48 pm

Absolutely!

• Paul Sorensen said, on May 28, 2015 at 8:14 pm

Yeah, never liked that look of Uribe as a Dog. But, my sentimentality for him and how he helped in 2010 has recently been somewhat tempered by how sad he was to leave LA, but nary a tear upon leaving SF. Oh well…

31. James said, on May 28, 2015 at 8:13 pm

Love the shout out to “Cadillac Desert,” Blade! Read it in combination with “City of Quartz” for all you need to fuel your SoCal disdain.

32. Flavor said, on May 28, 2015 at 8:13 pm

Love Uribe, always will.
    Heston has so much movement on his pitches, I really think he’s going to be around for a long time.

33. Macdog said, on May 28, 2015 at 8:16 pm

A little indication of Curry’s popularity: My daughter said she saw at least 10 Curry jerseys in school today. This is in New Jersey. And yes, she loves watching Riley at the press conferences.

34. djloo27 said, on May 28, 2015 at 8:16 pm

I’m not much on politics, but I would say the “United States” is not a very accurate name…

35. zumiee said, on May 28, 2015 at 8:38 pm

Thanks for the article link, Pawlie and Blade. And I’ll look for the book. There was a pretty sobering article in National Geographic about the water situation in California.

Regarding my email, I have the same email address. A friend sent me a huge file that clogged my email, but everything’s alright now.

36. James said, on May 28, 2015 at 8:47 pm

Ballpark effect consciousness has reached the mainstream with a wearying insistence.

37. Macdog said, on May 28, 2015 at 8:51 pm

Oppo-Belt!

38. Bozo said, on May 28, 2015 at 8:52 pm

Thank you, Mr. Belt.

39. James said, on May 28, 2015 at 8:53 pm

I hope Gianthead is feeling a little better about those swings and misses.

40. chipower9 said, on May 28, 2015 at 8:57 pm

Okay…I am delayed a few, but I take back all the shit I talked about Belt earlier in the season. For now. 😉 Belted! Make it stand-up, boys. I told Gail this is probably going to be a 1-0 game back in the 3rd inning.

41. blade3colorado said, on May 28, 2015 at 9:05 pm

Lefties .347 average against Affeldt and righties .297. Wow!

• djloo27 said, on May 28, 2015 at 9:08 pm

What about everyone else?

• blade3colorado said, on May 28, 2015 at 9:09 pm

What? Armless people?

• James said, on May 28, 2015 at 9:12 pm

I applaud your inclusiveness, Loo.

• Macdog said, on May 28, 2015 at 9:09 pm

Righties now .289.

42. djloo27 said, on May 28, 2015 at 9:20 pm

I believe a dinner with Giggles in Sacramento is definitely in Justin Maxwell’s future…

43. blade3colorado said, on May 28, 2015 at 9:21 pm

These Braves announcers love Blanco, who used to play for the Braves . . . Can’t say enough good things about him.

44. unca_chuck said, on May 28, 2015 at 9:24 pm

The ducks are at the table

45. djloo27 said, on May 28, 2015 at 9:25 pm

Disco Inferno!

46. Macdog said, on May 28, 2015 at 9:25 pm

Double Panik!

47. unca_chuck said, on May 28, 2015 at 9:25 pm

Panik in SF!

48. Bozo said, on May 28, 2015 at 9:26 pm

49. vogelsheiner said, on May 28, 2015 at 9:26 pm

oh yeah…break it fucking open

50. Macdog said, on May 28, 2015 at 9:26 pm

Triple Pence!

51. blade3colorado said, on May 28, 2015 at 9:26 pm

Man, being a Giants fan is . . . umm, just about as easy as being a Yankees fan lately. We are truly blessed. 🙂

52. Bozo said, on May 28, 2015 at 9:26 pm

Wow.

53. unca_chuck said, on May 28, 2015 at 9:27 pm

Boom boom! Out go the lights!

54. chipower9 said, on May 28, 2015 at 9:28 pm

P-Attack! Panik and Pence say to hell with making that 1-0 stand-up. Let’s put up some crooked numbers! Fuck yeah!

55. zumiee said, on May 28, 2015 at 9:32 pm

56. Bozo said, on May 28, 2015 at 9:33 pm

Ta dah da dah da da, keep it moving.

57. giants54 said, on May 28, 2015 at 9:35 pm

AT&T really shouldn’t be a problem with this group, who are much more gap than power hitters.

• chipower9 said, on May 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm

Good call, 54. So true…keep the conga line moving…

58. giants54 said, on May 28, 2015 at 9:37 pm

Now if Duffy can turn into Jeff Kent lite, that wouldn’t be a bad thing either…

59. Bozo said, on May 28, 2015 at 9:40 pm

Fun inning.

60. Macdog said, on May 28, 2015 at 9:44 pm

All We Do is HIT!!!!!!!!

61. chipower9 said, on May 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm

Ballgame! Whoop!

62. Macdog said, on May 28, 2015 at 9:46 pm

Thou Shalt Not Score on the Giants.

63. Bozo said, on May 28, 2015 at 9:47 pm

Entertaining game, well worth staying up for.

64. chipower9 said, on May 28, 2015 at 9:49 pm

I tell ya, the way Ben-Hur and VogelStrong are pitching (and not to forget Ben-Hur’s double), not to mention Big Time Timmy Jim…it is going to get interesting when Peavy and Cain return. What a sweet win…Elvin Bishop said “time to put on my travelin’ shoes” and the Giants answered with “time to put on our hitting shoes.” G’night, girls.

65. zumiee said, on May 28, 2015 at 9:57 pm

Only 1/2 game behind the Dodgers now. It’s a little quirky, because the Giants are still 2 games behind in the loss column. The Giants have somehow now played three more games than the Dodgers.

66. zumiee said, on May 28, 2015 at 10:01 pm

My wife sprained her knee, and a couple of other folks had to drop out also, so I know of three tickets available for Sat. night’s game. $81 Club Level ticket, and bobblehead give-away. All 40,000 get a bobblehead. Let me know if anyone of y’all want a ticket.

• zumiee said, on May 28, 2015 at 10:02 pm

Section 230.

67. zumiee said, on May 28, 2015 at 10:25 pm

The Giants have thrown nine shut-outs in May? Did I hear that correctly?

• snarkk said, on May 28, 2015 at 10:28 pm

Yeah 8 or 9, but I think its for the season…

• snarkk said, on May 28, 2015 at 10:30 pm

To be specific, Pavlovic reports “Starters for 8 shutouts in [last] 12 home games: Timmy, Bum, Vogey, Timmy, Hudson, Timmy, Bum, Heston. All five starters have been involved.” That is friggin’ unreal…

• willedav said, on May 29, 2015 at 7:26 am

4 in a row at home.
      Braves unraveled all at once without Miller, Duff started it with a walk.

68. snarkk said, on May 28, 2015 at 10:27 pm

KNBR notes Giants starters at home have now thrown 37 straight shutout innings…

69. mrsprtdude said, on May 28, 2015 at 10:41 pm

Hi all,
    Thanks for the update Michael. I think of you often as i am typing on the computer I won on the flap in the 2010 playoffs contest. I can’t even remember now what I won for. Total runs vs somebody. YAY

Re concussions…As a Sports Med PT, a trainer in Pop Warner for 4 years, and a parent who’s kid had two concussions and had to “retire” from HS football….Warriors know if they SAY he has a concussion he has to be symptom free for a week before starting exercise etc. No way he could play in a week. He was dizzy and throwing up. Classic concussion symptoms. Amazing they are continuing to say he didn’t have one.

• blade3colorado said, on May 29, 2015 at 9:56 am

Agree. Total bullshit that he is all right.

70. chipower9 said, on May 28, 2015 at 11:28 pm

SportDude…good to see you here. You should stop by more often…

71. willedav said, on May 29, 2015 at 8:53 am

Nice Belt column on F/G. Talks about his plate coverage and line drive %.
    And of course, last night double and HR opposite way.