Literal Interpretation of That Blue American League All Star Jersey

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 16, 2015

Continuing my recent theme of not discussing anything *Giant* in the main thread until they stop playing like shitfucks, I’m wondering what all of you think about the all star team of Royals that the AL is in the process of assembling. If you haven’t heard, Kansas City currently has 7 starters slated to open up against the NL in the this year’s Summer Classic.

As a fan of the NL as well as a fan of the team that usually represents the NL in the World Series (since 2010), I am a fan of this ballot stuffing. Not that we need it, but home field advantage in the World Series is a nice perk. I also think it’s funny that this is upsetting so many people across the internet.

Newsflash: if you don’t want a bunch of Royals clogging up the starting spots of your AL all star team then VOTE FOR DIFFERENT PLAYERS!!!!!!!!!

Shit, we’re talking about the Royals fan base. I can safely say I have never even one time walked by a person wearing Royals gear. If the rest of the AL fans can’t out-vote the tiny Royals fan base then they deserve what they get this coming July 14th…..

1. willedav said, on June 16, 2015 at 7:17 am

Just something else Bud ruined, altho he had plenty of help. Haven’t watched AS game I don’t think since Melk was a Giant and they romped it. AS game used to be so cool, league vs. league, best players stayed in the game, the players and fans really cared.
    HOF OFs like Billy Williams were lucky to get an AB behind Mays Aaron Clemente Frank Robinson etc. Now? I wouldn’t give a flying F if all 25 Royals made it. Let em see how long it takes to score off Bum.

There is history for this too: I think this happened late 50s or so and was done by the Reds, who had 8 guys on the team and the commish (Ford Frick?) said no no no.

• Bozo said, on June 16, 2015 at 7:24 am

Sorry willie, I didn’t see your post before I typed mine. I agree man, those early AS games really had All Stars on the team and the Managers managed the game like it counted.

2. Bozo said, on June 16, 2015 at 7:19 am

When I was a kid, I loved the AS game. For various reasons, I’m not that into it anymore. So I don’t really care about KC (or anyone) stuffing the ballot box, if MLB didn’t allow multiple voting, they might find out that many fans are ambivalent towards the game these days.

I do hate that this exhibition game determines Home Field advantage for the WS. In Selig’s myopic view this was for players/managers to take the AS game more serious. Well how about this then, Each WS winner gets to host the next years AS game? No more alternate years and I’m not just talking about the league of the champs, I’m talking the WS winner’s home field. Using Selig’s logic wouldn’t this provide incentive for owners to try and build a playoff team? I could be wrong, but I don’t think that is the goal of many of the Organizations these days .

• willedav said, on June 16, 2015 at 8:02 am

That’s a great idea, man. Talk about Shake Your Money Maker.

I wonder if there is some way to calculate how much Giants raked in from hosting playoff games 2014 at ATT, or even one World Series game…not to mention the ancillary benefits that local hotels bars restaurants and uh other forms of entertainment provide for willing clientele.

3. wilcojoe said, on June 16, 2015 at 8:01 am

Great post Flav. I absolutely agree with everything you said. Actually, I think it’s now 8 Royals leading as Infante (probably the worst offensive 2b in baseball) jumped ahead of Altuve. If you were to tell me that one team would have 8 guys leading from the same team, the last team I would expect would be KC. It’s hilarious. The only thing better would be for Bochy to elect every Giant (including McDeePee) as a reserve and then pull his starters after the first pitch. You could have a makeshift rematch of the 2014 World Series.

4. Irish Kevin said, on June 16, 2015 at 8:06 am

I don’t know and I don’t care about who gets voted in, when you go to a baseball game and the ushers have stacks and stacks of ballots and you can write in a name well the league gets what they deserves. I like the Allstar game cause it is one on one. Supposedly the best pitchers against the best hitters.

5. alleykat69 said, on June 16, 2015 at 8:38 am

Any chance in the write in votes we see Amos Otis?

6. chipower9 said, on June 16, 2015 at 8:44 am

Good thread, Flav. I fully agree with your synopsis. If folks don’t like it, vote for other players, dammit. And I am with John, I do not like that the AS game decides home field advantage for the WS. I would prefer that it goes back to being an exhibition, and you alternate hosting of the WS by league. I do like the idea of having the WS winner host the next AS game.

To Willie’s comment, I am unsure if it is publicly available, but I am sure that the bean-counters have done their due dilligence and have a pretty damned good idea as to how much a city rakes in when they host a playoff game, or WS game, etc. It is not inconsequential, I am sure.

And lastly, fuck the June Swoon. Come on Giants…pull your heads out of your collective asses and win some ballgames at home…better yet, win some damned series at home!

• Bozo said, on June 16, 2015 at 9:33 am

Yeah you right, Chi. Fuck the June Swoon. Is that bottle in Left field empty, or just not full? Time to quit playing like the old, past its sell date tripe. Change that garlic fry oil and win us some games. Let the NY Giants keep the home loss record, they worked hard for it. Now fellas, get out there and get a winning streak going.
      Come on Giants. Its what have ya done for me lately time? Well, um… Lately, lately. You know what I mean.
      Fuck the June Swoon.

7. mrsprtdude said, on June 16, 2015 at 9:24 am

Been a while since the dreaded June swoon verbage made regular appearances! Lets assume they will score some runs tonight but no one will notice because the Dubs win game 6!!!

• chipower9 said, on June 16, 2015 at 10:35 am

One
      Win!

8. zumiee said, on June 16, 2015 at 9:25 am

Maybe Aoki to rightfield, and bring up Ishi to play leftfield? End the Parker experiment. He couldn’t look less like a major leaguer. And Maxwell is over-matched against the better pitchers.

• Bozo said, on June 16, 2015 at 9:39 am

Maxwell played for the Outer Banks Daredevils back in 02. So I’ve got to root for the kid, I think it’s a local law or something.

• chipower9 said, on June 16, 2015 at 10:42 am

Parker and Maxwell are just extra OFers. One will have to go when Pence is activated. Ishi is out of options. If they bring him up, he needs to be up to stay.

9. ewisco said, on June 16, 2015 at 9:26 am

Redbirds caught cheating. FBI involved.

but the Astros?

• wilcojoe said, on June 16, 2015 at 10:18 am

Doesnt surprise me. Of course the Astros might want to hire a better IT security guy. Last year they made news when something very similar happened as a hacker was able to get into Luhnow’s system and released numerous notes on private trade conversations that had taken place.

10. zumiee said, on June 16, 2015 at 9:35 am

After hitting his two hundredth career double the other day, Sandoval called time and asked for the ball. He got some gentle mockery for that from the opposing team’s broadcasters. I kind of ridiculed Miguel Cabrera for asking for the ball when he got his 100th RBI last season. Hopefully these guys don’t represent a new trend.
    —-
    The next manager with buzzards circling him is Farrell, the Red Sox manager.
    —-
    I sort of get the Bud Black firing. The Padres are just such a dull team. They have no identity to them.

• Bozo said, on June 16, 2015 at 9:51 am

A friend of mine reminded me that Sandy Alderson was the one who tossed aside Bochy in favor of Black. So he figures Alderson may find a spot for him in NY. That kind of made sense to me.

I wonder if Dusty will get a shot at managing again? He seems to me like the perfect guy to take over when a manager gets fired midway.

• chipower9 said, on June 16, 2015 at 10:44 am

I am not sure that Dusty wants to manage. I thought I had read somewhere that he is not that keen on returning as a manager, but I could be wrong.

11. willedav said, on June 16, 2015 at 9:54 am

Agree on parker, but it is kinda cool he got the ring and some ml ABs to go along with it. It was worth a shot, Maxwell too. Just not enough there there, and reinforces my view of utter meaninglessness of Coast League #s.

This is something he can share with the grandkids, re: his cup of coffee with the WS Champs and the line drive he smoked for his first (likely last and only) hit of ml career.

• zumiee said, on June 16, 2015 at 10:17 am

It’s almost amazing how bad the major league pitchers can make the AAAA hitters look. In his first AB last night, Parker flailed and missed a couple of breaking balls, and then took an 0-2 fastball right down the middle for strike three.

• chipower9 said, on June 16, 2015 at 10:46 am

I think you and Zumiee are being a bit narrow-minded. Most say that a player needs at least 500 ML ABs to get a true sense of their abilities, or lack thereof.

Parker has pop, and has proven himself at every level, so far. I think he needs a couple hundred more ABs before you make a statement that he is done, IMO.

12. zumiee said, on June 16, 2015 at 10:36 am

There was a lot of talk from baseball pundits in the off-season about how the Padres had “won the off-season.”
    From an SI.com article today about the state of the Padres this season; the article might be considered “revisionist history”:

“We knew this team would be poor defensively—and it is 27th in baseball in defensive efficiency, and its pitchers have been undermined by a defense that allows the second-worst batting average on balls in play in the league. (Only Washington is worse.) We knew this team was too righthanded on offense—and it is 12th in the league in OPS against righthanded pitching. And we knew Preller was rolling the dice when he bet on righthanded hitters Jedd Gyorko, Matt Kemp, Will Middlebrooks and Wil Myers all to bounce back from down years.
    Gyorko followed his .210 season of 2014 by hitting .210 again and getting sent to the minors. Middlebrooks is hitting .226. Myers has one home run since April while missing a month with a wrist injury—after missing much of last year with a wrist injury. And Kemp? There are no signs that his big second half of last season is sustainable.
    How bad has Kemp been? He has hit two home runs. His .336 slugging percentage is the worst of his career. His walk rate (4.7%) is by far the worst of his career. Pitchers are pounding him with pitches down and away, and he is flailing at them.”

13. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 16, 2015 at 12:07 pm

hmmmmm

1. Nori Aoki (L) RF
    2. Joe Panik (L) 2B
    3. Angel Pagan (S) CF
    4. Buster Posey (R) 1B
    5. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    6. Matt Duffy (R) 3B
    7. Brandon Belt (L) LF
    8. Andrew Susac (R) C
    9. Tim Lincecum (L) P

• ewisco said, on June 16, 2015 at 12:42 pm

so we’re saying that susac is better than parker/Maxwell?

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 16, 2015 at 12:43 pm

Saw Parker live last night. He’s clearly over-matched. Maxwell and McDP are playing themselves off the roster imo.

• chipower9 said, on June 16, 2015 at 1:55 pm

Said it earlier, and will say it again…Parker has all of NINE ML ABs. I am not trying to say anything about the guy one way or another, but seriously, a player needs HUNDREDS of ML ABs under their belt before you can make a true evaluation of their talent, or lack thereof.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 16, 2015 at 1:59 pm

The fact that Parker committed the act of hitting baseballs in the minors doesn’t mean he was successful at those levels. If someone is going to give him 500 ABs I hope it is another team.

14. unca_chuck said, on June 16, 2015 at 12:29 pm

Pence hasn’t been cleared to swing a bat and therefore won’t be ready after he comes off the DL.

Hmmmmmmmm

• xoot said, on June 16, 2015 at 1:24 pm

saw a Schulman tweet–Pence’s left hand is going into a splint now.

• snarkk said, on June 16, 2015 at 1:36 pm

Looks like the Giants medicos may have let Pence come back too soon. Shocker…

15. snarkk said, on June 16, 2015 at 1:35 pm

I don’t care which team is best at AS Game ballot stuffing. The game is near farce now anyway, tho still a cut above the utterly farcical AS games of the other pro sports leagues. Anyone with a brain not named Bud knows the WS home field should be decided otherwise. Let’s hope the new commish has a brain…

• chipower9 said, on June 16, 2015 at 1:58 pm

The new commish is a Bud minion…was chief operating officer for Bud for years…I am not holding my breath on the new commish having a brain…

• zumiee said, on June 16, 2015 at 2:04 pm

Like Bud, his main priority will be getting the most money for the owners. And the players are getting paid well, so who cares what we fans think.

• chipower9 said, on June 16, 2015 at 2:09 pm

Unfortunately, you are correct in your synopsis, Zumiee.

• zumiee said, on June 16, 2015 at 2:25 pm

Even though we fans completely fund the sport.

16. chipower9 said, on June 16, 2015 at 2:11 pm

Whoot! Let’s score some runs, Giants! El Caballo Loco!

17. Carstie Clausen said, on June 16, 2015 at 2:17 pm

Amazing. It’s mid-June. They are playing at the egregiously named stadium. They actually have a lead vs a mediocre pitcher.

18. Carstie Clausen said, on June 16, 2015 at 2:33 pm

What is this with five-inning starters? We found out last night that the probable limit for Hudson has now devolved to 5 innings /80 pitches. After that he dribbles away. Timmy today went 5+, nicely getting through his first two batters ~ the #3 and 4 hitters and then started losing it at around 90 pitches. Presumably, if Cain is back to snuff, either Hudson or Vogie join Petit as long-relievers. We now know Hudson’s limits. Two of them together might throw a pretty good game.

• chipower9 said, on June 16, 2015 at 2:36 pm

I suspect that between Vogey and Hudson, it would be Vogey who went to the pen.

19. blade3colorado said, on June 16, 2015 at 3:00 pm

If you Google Brett Butler, the first thing that comes up is Flavor’s post on him “sucking.”

Just kidding . . . You have to Google Brett Butler Sucks, then it comes up first. HAHAHA! 🙂

20. chipower9 said, on June 16, 2015 at 3:15 pm

DuffMan with a little insurance!

21. Macdog said, on June 16, 2015 at 3:19 pm

It was going to take something miraculous to end this 9-game home losing streak, and that might’ve just been it.

22. chipower9 said, on June 16, 2015 at 3:20 pm

Giants opening up a can of whoop-ass. Now let’s close this bitch out.

23. Carstie Clausen said, on June 16, 2015 at 3:22 pm

Who and what was the music? Conga line got going again for the first time in ages.

24. chipower9 said, on June 16, 2015 at 3:24 pm

Ballgame! About time our boys won a home game!

25. chipower9 said, on June 16, 2015 at 3:25 pm

Timmah with seven wins now. I predict that if he continues on his current path, the Giants bring him back next year.

26. zumiee said, on June 16, 2015 at 3:27 pm

Timmy 7-3. Who’da thunk it?

27. zumiee said, on June 16, 2015 at 4:11 pm

Giants fans have the ballot-stuffing thing figured out, too, as Aoki is one of the top 3 outfielders at the moment.

28. blade3colorado said, on June 16, 2015 at 4:14 pm

First time I have ever done this – A few weeks ago when I got the MLB AS email, I stuffed the ballot. I USUALLY NEVER VOTE. Not certain, exactly what the maximum number was, but I seem to recall 35. Anywho, I did 35 repeat votes and many of them were Giants, as they were all kicking ass at the time. I was definitely in BASK mode. 🙂

29. unca_chuck said, on June 16, 2015 at 4:16 pm

Smoke and mirrors . . .

One. More. Win.

30. zumiee said, on June 16, 2015 at 7:17 pm

Curry is so awesome, but the turnovers can be a little maddening.

31. zumiee said, on June 16, 2015 at 7:20 pm

A nothing performance from Thompson so far.

32. zumiee said, on June 16, 2015 at 7:25 pm

The Cav center with the Slavic name has had an effective game so far.

33. unca_chuck said, on June 16, 2015 at 7:31 pm

22-4 in foul shots. Something the talking heads ignore. The traveling call on Green was hysterical.

34. unca_chuck said, on June 16, 2015 at 7:32 pm

The refs are taking care of Iggy and Thompson.

35. unca_chuck said, on June 16, 2015 at 7:49 pm

Wow. Can’t breathe on lebron.

36. pawliekokonuts said, on June 16, 2015 at 7:53 pm

There were TWO All-Star Games each summer for a while. Talk about commercialism.

37. unca_chuck said, on June 16, 2015 at 7:53 pm

Got run these clowns out of hhe building

38. zumiee said, on June 16, 2015 at 7:53 pm

Curry, great pass on the Iggy dunk. Stemmed off Cav’s momentum.

39. pawliekokonuts said, on June 16, 2015 at 8:00 pm

MANNY BURRISS UPDATE: Sat with two friends, one a Yankees fan the other a Red Sox fan, right behind the screen in back of the plate. Toledo Mud Hens at Syracuse Chiefs. Victor Martinez on rehab (crushed the ball all night). In the later innings, I summoned the courage to speak to Manny on the other side of the screen. “Manny, you have a ring, right?” I said, pointing to my single-“G” Giants cap, very similar to the one Willie Mays wears. “Two, sir,” he said. “Thanks,” I added. He went on to lay down a perfect bunt that led to a win in the 10th. (This, after my friends implored him to end it, so we could go home. He did not answer. He was concentrating.) He had a very good game, offensively and defensively.

• zumiee said, on June 16, 2015 at 8:02 pm

Cool story, Pawlie. Thanks!

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 16, 2015 at 8:05 pm

Willkommen. As my buddy Hart Seely quipped, “He was more polite and gracious than you.” Burriss is very proud of those two rings. Seems like a gentleman.

• zumiee said, on June 16, 2015 at 8:08 pm

He’s got two more rings than Ted Williams or Ty Cobb got. (grin)

40. zumiee said, on June 16, 2015 at 8:04 pm

Warrior depth making its impact.

41. vogelsheiner said, on June 16, 2015 at 8:05 pm

This series a lot like the Memphis one…

42. pawliekokonuts said, on June 16, 2015 at 8:08 pm

Bad timing during the Warriors clinching W (I hope), but isn’t that crazy about the Cards allegedly hacking into the Astros’ computers? #modernsignstealing

• zumiee said, on June 16, 2015 at 8:12 pm

Kind of like Nixon and Watergate; what was the point? Obsessive self-destructive behavior.

43. unca_chuck said, on June 16, 2015 at 8:12 pm

Ezeli is making Bogut obsolete.

44. unca_chuck said, on June 16, 2015 at 8:13 pm

Shut this thing down.

45. zumiee said, on June 16, 2015 at 8:30 pm

Huge shots being made by the W’s.

46. Paul Sorensen said, on June 16, 2015 at 8:49 pm

Some guy named Tom Haberstroh just tweeted (not to me, I don’t tweet): “LeBron untucks his jersey on the bench, pulls up the bottom half and sinks his face in it. Hasn’t looked up all timeout.” The King is dead. Long live the new kings….

47. Macdog said, on June 16, 2015 at 8:59 pm

ULTIMATE WARRIORS! Congrats on the title after such a long drought.

So, where’s the parade?

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 16, 2015 at 9:46 pm

as always, great hed

• Macdog said, on June 16, 2015 at 10:59 pm

I cannot take credit for that one.

• xoot said, on June 16, 2015 at 9:46 pm

at least one parade Friday in Oakland, downtown to uptown, I hear

48. pawliekokonuts said, on June 16, 2015 at 9:00 pm

Way to go, Warriors. Congrats from the East Coast.

49. zumiee said, on June 16, 2015 at 9:02 pm

Congrats to the Warriors!!

50. willedav said, on June 16, 2015 at 9:03 pm

Warriors fans will be in perpetual bask mode for a long time.

51. unca_chuck said, on June 16, 2015 at 9:04 pm

Yeah, baby! 2-2 for Bron Bron in the finals.

The team is greater than the man. As San Antonio and the Warriors showed.

• Macdog said, on June 16, 2015 at 9:16 pm

That’s only with the Cavs.

• Macdog said, on June 16, 2015 at 9:27 pm

He’s 2-4 now in the Finals.

52. zumiee said, on June 16, 2015 at 9:05 pm

Another Bay Area championship! Niners came very close a couple of years ago.

53. willedav said, on June 16, 2015 at 9:05 pm

Depth of talent was a key too. Hope they can keep everyone together, Bogut included.
    Regular season is a grind, and as playoffs showed, different guys contributed at different times.

54. unca_chuck said, on June 16, 2015 at 9:26 pm

2-3 for Bron Bron. Sorry.

55. unca_chuck said, on June 16, 2015 at 9:29 pm

Lee may be odd man out. Bogut played old and slow. He may have just been gassed.

56. snarkk said, on June 16, 2015 at 10:32 pm

I clearly remember the ’75 champ team, and following it on the radio with Bill King.
    This Dubs team was similar, a real TEAM, though more deeply talented. Can’t say which one I like better. They’re both great memories now. Steph may not yet be the new Montana, but he’s got the base of the statute started…

57. snarkk said, on June 16, 2015 at 10:33 pm

And, BTW.
    The Dubs had to beat the Cavs, Lebron, and the refs. What a joke of a refereeing job…

58. unca_chuck said, on June 16, 2015 at 11:20 pm

Yeah, the ’75 team really came out of nowhere. It still is the only championship game of any of the Bay Area teams I’ve seen live. I mean really. The building they played in back then didn’t believe in them. They were kicked out by the ice capades.

This is by far betterJust because of how bad this team has been for so long.

59. unca_chuck said, on June 16, 2015 at 11:22 pm

Snarkk the 76 team was just as good. It was a killer losing to PHX in the western finals.

60. zumiee said, on June 16, 2015 at 11:36 pm

Interesting the progress of the Warriors after Jerry West joined the organization a few years ago. I’m wondering how much input he had in decision-making. A lot or not that much? Was he a big proponent of the Ellis trade? That seemed to be a huge turning point for the team: the decision to make it Steph’s team.

61. mrsprtdude said, on June 17, 2015 at 12:07 am

Just as I thought. We finally score, break the longest home losing streak in SF history and I thought about it not at all tonight! What a great end for a great team!
    In the 3 in 5 era who would have ever predicted Warriors would win a title befor the niners!

62. unca_chuck said, on June 17, 2015 at 7:12 am