Draymond Green

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 22, 2015

I don’t feel like talking about last night’s game. Embarrassing.

For you guys who aren’t from around here and don’t know much about what the Warriors winning the NBA championship has meant to Oakland, check out this 5 minute video of Draymond Green at the parade (see end of thread). He’s maybe got a few pops in him, but that doesn’t take away from the pure joy, the boundless exhilaration, that Green exudes on this wild trip down the parade.

Even though Green is from Michigan he’s a person that Oakland can relate to. Nobody ever believed in him, he had to work his ass off for everything he ever got. That sounds lame to say about a NBA player who’s about to sign for 100+ million. But as a 2nd round pick who most people outside of Michigan had never head of, he’s a role model for what the payoff for hard work looks like. Here’s what he said after he fell out of the first round and got drafted by the Warriors:

“That’s one of the things that has really driven me this far,” Green said, with a line that’s familiar to Spartan fans. “It’s always been about what he can’t do, ‘How far can he go?’ When I got to Michigan State, they said I would never play. Once I had a decent year, they said that’s the best I’ll ever do. They just keep going, keep going, keep going, they never stop (with their criticism). So, it just continues to light more fire under me and just keep on pushing me.

“One thing I did say about going in the second round is, first off, to go in the second round and go to an organization where the team picks you because they really wanted you and not just because you were there, I think that was one of the main things (that makes this a good situation). And then, whatever happens, happens. I didn’t go in the first round, so be it, it didn’t happen. But I’m somewhere where I’m going to fit in an where I’m wanted, and that’s a blessing for me.”

After reading that and then watching this video it’s impossible to not be happy for him and the city that adores him:

1. willedav said, on June 22, 2015 at 8:01 am

I like Green a lot, for the energy he brings at both ends. Guy has worked hard to improve his overall game to the point it’s at now. Hopefully he continues to work and grow. Shot selection and decisions that sometimes result in unnecessary turnovers imo his biggest challenge.
    One thing I hope he and all of Warriors realize is the size of the target now on their back as Champions.
    The West is pretty tough to begin with and everyone else realizes they have to adjust their roster and how they play to be able to beat Warriors, esp at the O. Even the Celts and Lakers great teams had tough time repeating.

Btw, Green’s Mom seems pretty cool too, one of those who aren’t gonna allow their son to be a knucklehead, on or off the court.

• ewisco said, on June 22, 2015 at 9:56 am

well it didn’t seem to stop him from stealing someone’s flag (who it appeared didn’t want to give it to him) and then walk away with it only to hand it to someone else a couple hundred yards down the road. Hopefully someone from the dubs caught that and took care of the person.

2. chipower9 said, on June 22, 2015 at 8:41 am

That was bad ass. Green is a bad ass. He busted his butt and won a starting spot this year. And the cool thing is that players like Lee and Iguodala who got bumped to the bench took it all in stride, did not bitch, and still contributed when needed. And how cool must it have been for the fan whose flag Green took and waved down the parade route (WTF…you can buy another flag). And I am pretty certain that was Marshawn Lynch walking the route with Green. Not surprised he is an Oakland boy. So happy for the Warriors and their fans.

Hey, that was one fucked-up game yesterday. I was at my daughter’s for a BBQ and she does not have ESPN. I check the score. 1-0 bums. Next check, 6-1 bums, and saw the final of 10-1. Timmy’s shortest start of his career, and Petit got lit up. Oh well, Giants took 2 of 3 from the bumbinos…so that is cool, and only 1.5 back. Now it is time to start winning some ball games at home. Bum on the bump tomorrow. He has gone 8 innings in his last two starts and given up 2 and 1 runs, and did not get a W in either. Time to pin a loss on the Friars.

USA vs. Columbia in the Women’s World Cup today. USA!

3. willedav said, on June 22, 2015 at 8:42 am

Elephant in the room of course is Giants rotation.
    Peavy likely to start by this weekend with Cain right behind him.
    Machi eligible to come off the DL too, so somebody (or 3) has to go by end of the week.
    Might be a case of revolving musical chairs…which you hope isn’t same as shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic.

4. xoot said, on June 22, 2015 at 8:52 am

Green jumped to the road pretty early on, while the parade was headed down Broadway. My son and a friend got good spots for the parade on the back end, along the lake, and Green was still on the ground, high-fiving them. I think they high-fived Mo Buckets, too. It was a terrific celebration.

• xoot said, on June 22, 2015 at 8:57 am

In fact, that video is the leg along the lake. I can’t recognize my kid’s hand, though. He said he luckily just missed getting champagned.

5. unca_chuck said, on June 22, 2015 at 10:11 am

ESPN seems to be a curse on the Giants. I had this as a loss when I heard it was an ESPN game.
    Their announcers (Kruk and someone else?) were fucking shitty beyond belief.

Not sure who gets Bleacher Reports updates, but some very sad news out of Texas.

Daryl Hamilton was killed by his girlfriend in a murder/suicide deal yesterday.

• xoot said, on June 22, 2015 at 10:25 am

wow

• Bozo said, on June 22, 2015 at 1:25 pm

I just read about that. Fucking crazy.

6. Macdog said, on June 22, 2015 at 10:12 am

I just heard on the radio that Darryl Hamilton is dead in an apparent murder-suicide. Damn, that’s tragic. I thought he did a pretty good job for the Giants in that bounce-back ’97 season. Of course, he then went on to beat the Giants in the JT Snow game when he hit the two-out double in the 10th and scored the winning run on Payton’s single.

7. unca_chuck said, on June 22, 2015 at 10:17 am

On a Happier note, yeah, the parade was great. I was off Friday and saw some of it live, and the rest of it last night. Draymond is a total keeper, and I think he isn’t going anywhere. They are already trying to work out a trade for David Lee however. Get an inside-scoring PF and this team will be unstoppable.

8. snarkk said, on June 22, 2015 at 10:40 am

Espn reports evidence Pete Rose bet extensively on baseball while he was a player, contrary to his repeated statements that he never bet while a player…

• xoot said, on June 22, 2015 at 11:18 am

John Dowd’s Revenge now overshadows Jon Dowd’s.

9. Lurker John said, on June 22, 2015 at 10:50 am

Great thread, Flavor.

Green’s being a Warrior is another testament to Bob Meyer’s talent evaluation skills and to the staff as a whole. These guys knew how to put together a team instead of just a collection all stars. Bodes well for future success of the franchise. It’ll be interesting to see who they draft this year.

10. alleykat69 said, on June 22, 2015 at 11:24 am

I didn’t ketch the game, busy bbq chicken &Ribs at a park with plenty of serveza’s ..
    But I did see some lowlights later, and yeah Timmy got smacked around ,but atleast he kept them in the yard. Petit 4 bombs allowed, wow I know they didn’t want to kill the whole BP but that’s crazy to let him get slammed that hard.

11. wilcojoe said, on June 22, 2015 at 11:27 am

Had just read about a murder suicide in this mornings paper but the names had not been released. Pearland is a suburb about fifteen minutes from here. Had just watched Hamilton last Friday on MLB Network. He was raving about the Giants middle infield. So sad.

12. xoot said, on June 22, 2015 at 11:51 am

I was thinking about Darryl Hamilton last night, after DJLoo’s comment about Dante Powell. I was trying to remember wtf Hamilton wasn’t playing CF at that moment in the game.

13. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 22, 2015 at 11:57 am

During the season Green called would call in to Tolbert’s show and I often got a chance to listen. He’s a funny engaging guy. Sure he talks some shit but he doesn’t come across as a jerk about it. From what I have seen and heard he was tossing down the road sodas during the parade and I have no issue with that. Its a celebration.

RIP Hambone

14. unca_chuck said, on June 22, 2015 at 12:10 pm

Yeah, the draft should be interesting this year. They (Bob, that is) keep talking about getting another 2 guard.

Personally, I’d like to see a little more inside scoring. As much as I like Draymond, he’s on the small side, and a little erratic in close. Love his game, but a bigger banger would be nice. We routinely get murdered on the boards.

• Lurker John said, on June 22, 2015 at 12:45 pm

I was thinking the same thing, Chuck. It’d be nice to have a true power forward for that inside presence, but athletic enough to get out on the break. I know those guys don’t grow on trees, but I think someone like that would fit in well. Someone 6’10” or so and strong, maybe an Amare Soudemire type without the attitude. 🙂

• unca_chuck said, on June 22, 2015 at 1:22 pm

Speights would be great if he could defend better. Well, that and score inside :0

• Lurker John said, on June 22, 2015 at 12:46 pm

And you’re right, Draymond was terrible finishing at the basket most of the playoffs, but especially in the finals. The W’s left a lot of points on floor inside.

15. chipower9 said, on June 22, 2015 at 12:41 pm

Even though he has more or less sucked balls during his re-hab, it sounds like Peavy will be activated soon. And from what I hear, ball sucking and all, he will be put into the rotation. That means that someone has to go (Giants currently with 13 pitchers on their 25), and someone will have to move to the pen. Broadstreet is a pretty easy choice for going back to Sacto, and Vogey, Timmy, or Hudson will have to move to the pen.

When Cain is activated (I am guessing they do not activate him until post All Star break), then someone else will have to go (as in buh-bye…not just to the pen). Does Heston go back to Sacto? I would think not…he has been fairly steady. Also, Machi is currently on the DL, so something will have to give there, too …maybe he gets DFAd).

I also heard perhaps the Giants trade away a pitcher to make room. Gonna be interesting.

Definitely sad new re: Hamilton. RIP.

16. unca_chuck said, on June 22, 2015 at 1:22 pm

Yeah, Hamilton was a good guy as a Giant. Very sad.

I guarantee one thing. Timmy ain’t the one to go to the pen. Vogie will be the one. Barring a few more dogshit starts from Tim Tim. He is dancing with the devil each start, and when he leaves the ball up, it’s BP time.

Then again, that is true for Hudster and Vogie as well.

• zumiee said, on June 22, 2015 at 1:29 pm

Lince/Hud/Vog/Peavy are all the same guy, basically. Not exactly the Core Four these days.

17. zumiee said, on June 22, 2015 at 1:23 pm

Time for Peavy to give some value for his big contract. I don’t have big expectations, though.

18. zumiee said, on June 22, 2015 at 1:51 pm

I was reviewing the Sac Kings draft history yesterday. Lots of misfires on very high picks. But overall, I wasn’t blown away by the overall talent of the last 20 years of the whole draft. Too many guys leaving college early.

• alleykat69 said, on June 22, 2015 at 2:09 pm

They definitely misfired the year Curry was (2009?) drafted , they took 2 point guards but it was Ricky Rubio and Tyreke Evans with Curry sitting there at 7!! Thank you very much Kings!!

• zumiee said, on June 22, 2015 at 3:45 pm

The T-Wolves picked Rubio, but your point is still right-on:

1 Blake Griffin* PF United States Los Angeles Clippers Oklahoma (So.)
        2 Hasheem Thabeet C Tanzania Memphis Grizzlies Connecticut (Jr.)
        3 James Harden* SG United States Oklahoma City Thunder Arizona State (So.)
        4 Tyreke Evans SG United States Sacramento Kings Memphis (Fr.)
        5 Ricky Rubio PG Spain Minnesota Timberwolves (from Washington)[a] DKV Joventut (Spain) (born 1990)
        6 Jonny Flynn PG United States Minnesota Timberwolves[b] Syracuse (So.)
        7 Stephen Curry* PG United States Golden State Warriors Davidson (Jr.)

• zumiee said, on June 22, 2015 at 3:50 pm

Thabeet? I had to look that up.
        He currently plays for the Grand Rapids Drive of the NBA Development League, a Pistons affiliate.

• zumiee said, on June 22, 2015 at 3:53 pm

Flynn last played pro basketball in Italy in 2014.

• djloo27 said, on June 22, 2015 at 4:38 pm

So what you’re saying Zumie is “Thabeet Goes On”…

• Flavor said, on June 22, 2015 at 4:42 pm

T-wolves took Rubio AND Flynn. Idiots.

19. Flavor said, on June 22, 2015 at 2:58 pm

found out this morning that someone I went to high school with died unexpectedly over the weekend. Two minutes late I heard about Hamilton. Barry Bonds just said his cousin died. Feel like going back to bed and starting this day over….

20. unca_chuck said, on June 22, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Sorry to hear that, Craig.

One of the non-perks of getting older . . .

• Flavor said, on June 22, 2015 at 5:17 pm

thanks. It’s been a strange day.

21. zumiee said, on June 22, 2015 at 5:12 pm

Great draft also for the Warriors in 2012, obviously. They got 3 contributors to their championship, with picks 7, 30, and 35:

1 Anthony Davis* PF/C United States New Orleans Hornets Kentucky (Fr.)
    2 Michael Kidd-Gilchrist SF United States Charlotte Bobcats Kentucky (Fr.)
    3 Bradley Beal SG United States Washington Wizards Florida (Fr.)
    4 Dion Waiters SG United States Cleveland Cavaliers Syracuse (So.)
    5 Thomas Robinson PF United States Sacramento Kings Kansas (Jr.)
    6 Damian Lillard* PG United States Portland Trail Blazers (from Brooklyn)[a] Weber St. (Sr.)
    7 Harrison Barnes SF United States Golden State Warriors North Carolina (So.)
    8 Terrence Ross SG United States Toronto Raptors Washington (So.)
    9 Andre Drummond C United States Detroit Pistons Connecticut (Fr.)
    10 Austin Rivers SG United States New Orleans Hornets (from Minnesota via L.A. Clippers)[b] Duke (Fr.)
    11 Meyers Leonard C United States Portland Trail Blazers Illinois (So.)
    12 Jeremy Lamb SG United States Houston Rockets (from Milwaukee)[c] Connecticut (So.)
    13 Kendall Marshall PG United States Phoenix Suns North Carolina (So.)
    14 John Henson PF United States Milwaukee Bucks (from Houston)[c] North Carolina (Jr.)
    15 Maurice Harkless SF Puerto Rico
    United States[n 2] Philadelphia 76ers St. John’s (Fr.)
    16 Royce White PF United States Houston Rockets (from New York)[d] Iowa St. (So.)
    17 Tyler Zeller C United States Dallas Mavericks (traded to Cleveland)[A] North Carolina (Sr.)
    18 Terrence Jones PF United States Houston Rockets (from Utah via Minnesota)[e] Kentucky (So.)
    19 Andrew Nicholson PF Canada Orlando Magic St. Bonaventure (Sr.)
    20 Evan Fournier SG France Denver Nuggets Poitiers (France)
    21 Jared Sullinger PF United States Boston Celtics Ohio St. (So.)
    22 Fab Melo C Brazil Boston Celtics (from L.A. Clippers via Oklahoma City)[f] Syracuse (So.)
    23 John Jenkins SG United States Atlanta Hawks Vanderbilt (Jr.)
    24 Jared Cunningham SG United States Cleveland Cavaliers (from L.A. Lakers,[g] traded to Dallas)[A] Oregon St. (Jr.)
    25 Tony Wroten PG United States Memphis Grizzlies Washington (Fr.)
    26 Miles Plumlee C United States Indiana Pacers Duke (Sr.)
    27 Arnett Moultrie PF United States Miami Heat (traded to Philadelphia)[B] Mississippi St. (Jr.)
    28 Perry Jones III SF United States Oklahoma City Thunder Baylor (So.)
    29 Marquis Teague PG United States Chicago Bulls Kentucky (Fr.)
    30 Festus Ezeli C Nigeria Golden State Warriors (from San Antonio)[h] Vanderbilt (Sr.)
    31 Jeffery Taylor SF Sweden Charlotte Bobcats Vanderbilt (Sr.)
    32 Tomáš Satoranský# SG Czech Republic Washington Wizards Banca Cívica (Spain)
    33 Bernard James C United States Cleveland Cavaliers (traded to Dallas)[A] Florida St. (Sr.)
    34 Jae Crowder SF United States Cleveland Cavaliers (from New Orleans via Miami,[i] traded to Dallas)[A] Marquette (Sr.)
    35 Draymond Green PF United States Golden State Warriors (from Brooklyn)[j] Michigan St. (Sr.)

• Flavor said, on June 22, 2015 at 5:17 pm

incredible to see where some of those guys went in that draft and what they’ve failed to accomplish (up to this point)

• zumiee said, on June 22, 2015 at 5:20 pm

The Kings took Thomas Robinson with the #5 pick. I watch a fair amount of Kings games, and I only vaguely have any memory of him.

• Flavor said, on June 22, 2015 at 6:03 pm

he isn’t with them anymore. Ended up in Portland and then last year played for Philly. I actually like him, he does real well rebounding per min

• zumiee said, on June 22, 2015 at 5:18 pm

What an irony that the Cavs had the two picks right before Green. If they had taken Green, how different things could have been.

22. zumiee said, on June 22, 2015 at 6:11 pm

Bryant goes yard on Kershaw.

23. Paul Sorensen said, on June 22, 2015 at 6:48 pm

During the 3 in 5 years, the Giants starting rotation has been the solidifier, the stabilizer, the (mostly) sure thing. Very interesting juncture now, as discussed herein. During today’s day off, word yesterday was that the G’s brain-trust would be “shuffling” the starting rotation to line it up as bodies start returning, will be interesting to see what they say they’ll do with it (which could end up being different from what they’ll actually do with it). The Peavy signing was a head-scratcher for me when it happened; Sabes’ view was he wasn’t sure how the rotation was going to go, so he felt like you can never have enough pitchers. Not sure that’s really true. What they really needed was enough *good* and reliable pitchers. Not convinced that will be Peavy. Cain, I have higher hopes for. Once Peavy and Cain are back, that sort of becomes the stretch drive before needing to see what needs to be done before July 31st….

• Flavor said, on June 22, 2015 at 7:16 pm

I wouldn’t be against a 6 man rotation. Gives the old guys an extra day and god knows Bum could use the rest. Might keep ’em all fresh for Sept+

24. zumiee said, on June 22, 2015 at 7:38 pm

Szcuzr (??) goes yard on Kershaw, and also scores 50 for the Cubs in Scrabble.

25. Carstie Clausen said, on June 22, 2015 at 7:43 pm

Krukow has been saying that Lincecum would “go to the pen in a heartbeat”. Good idea. In the 2012 postseason Timmy was sudden death coming outta the bullpen. I’ve been on record for quite some time as favoring him for an “uber reliever”. Now with Petit’s decline, #55 could start out as the alternative longman. That still leaves either Vogie or Hudson as the other pen candidate ~ or Peavy ultimately if he does not get back to snuff in his first three games or so. No big worries about Cain. By the Break he should be in a decent groove as the #2 or three.

26. willedav said, on June 22, 2015 at 7:49 pm

One of the arguments against 6 man SPs is that it leaves pen a reliever short. In Giants case, since so many of the SPs are 5-6 innings guys I could see where that could work against them.

I think Ezeli can give GS inside scoring. Just needs to stay healthy and learn to play tough inside without fouling so he can stay on the floor.
    I’d go with another shooter/2 Guard too. Livingston had a great season but scores more off posting up smaller guards, and Barbosa is pretty erratic. Holiday is not accurate enough. Klay or Steph come out, another good shooter from distance will help space the floor for back up unit.
    It would also help if they are big enough and defensively inclined to be able to defend at that position too.

27. willedav said, on June 22, 2015 at 7:54 pm

6 man would also cost Bum 3 starts…if you are gonna do that, wouldn’t it work out better to just go with 5 and DL someone not named Bum?

• Flavor said, on June 22, 2015 at 8:12 pm

i think there is something to resting all those guys across the course of the year. I like the idea of keeping 5 fresh better than 4 old guys pettering out (as they did in the playoffs) and Bum getting his normal amount of starts in a 5 man rotation. But really, that’s more game theory than anything I’m strongly behind……

28. Macdog said, on June 22, 2015 at 7:55 pm

Cubs win, Cubs win!

29. Paul Sorensen said, on June 22, 2015 at 8:03 pm

Or, every pitcher not named MadBum goes on roughly 5 days rest, while Bum continues to pitch every 5th day. THAT would be a scheduling challenge, to be sure. Before, the G’s were mostly ruling out a 6-man rotation, but the most recent word from Bochy seemed to indicate nothing is off the table. I don’t know… the more I think about all this, the more it just seems to indicate a fragile and way less than optimal situation: too many guys who can’t be relied on to go deep into games. Someone here said that Peavy/Vogs /Timmy /Hudson are all the same guy in that respect. Actually, Vogs and Hudson seem to be able to go longer once they get past a rough early inning or two. Anyway, it will be interesting. I’m also thinking a trade could be in the works to offload someone and make these decisions easier… Cain and Pence are the main keys to get back on the field. The rest of it will be Bochy mixing and matching until something clicks.

30. zumiee said, on June 22, 2015 at 8:04 pm

Dodgers are now 6-18 against teams with a winning record.

31. willedav said, on June 22, 2015 at 8:16 pm

I don’t think Heston right now is much better than the others, but at least he’s younger and cheaper. He has been a pretty even mix of the very good and the gone early.

Hamilton was signed as an FA and had pretty decent season for SF, but I was thrilled to see Giants get Ellis Burks for him from Colo. Rox meanwhile got virtually nothing for him when they traded him to Mets.

32. willedav said, on June 22, 2015 at 8:36 pm

Heard a great tune last night taken from a live in studio session done by Tower of Power at WLIR in Hempstead Long Island May 14, 1974. Track was “Soul Vaccination” and of course they were really cooking in those days with Lenny Williams on vocals
    This is double cd with other hits, including Down to the Nightclub, What is Hip? etc.
    While I don’t doubt veracity of the line, “What is hip today/Might become passĂ©” doesn’t apply to these guys.

33. Bozo said, on June 22, 2015 at 8:38 pm

Seems to me, if you go to a 6 man rotation you either lose a guy from the pen or a position player on top of the three from the Active roster that will have to be removed.

Three moves/subtractions will have to be made for the Peavy/Cain/Machi returns, no matter what. Like it or not, trades, options or playing the DL game will have to come into play.
    From the 13 on the pitching staff I’d say Broadway for sure and maybe Strickland (or Machi is DFAed). Heston has options and despite his success, my guess is he’s still a possible send down. I doubt that any OFer is in play until Pence comes off the DL at which time my guy Maxwell is probably gone. With Duffy taking over as the starting 3B, McGehee and Arias are probably in play to be DFAed or traded
    After that happens, then its what do you do with seven starters?
    Things change, and I bet they do soon.

34. snarkk said, on June 22, 2015 at 10:58 pm

I’ve often recommended before that the giants and other teams just drop pitchers consecutively onto the 15-day DL during the mid to latter parts of a season to give them a rest, and the ability to rejuvenate. Maybe this is what the giants can do with Cain and Peavy coming back. I have no expectation for Peavy, he may not be as good as Voggy or Timmeh. This is going to be a real manage job by Bochy to keep these guys “fresh”…