Salami

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 25, 2015

Another day, another Buster grand slam. He’s hitting just enough of those to make him worthwhile. πŸ™‚

Everyone ready to admit they were wrong about Voggy again?

Anyone? Bueller?

Heston vs Big Game (Regular Season) James.

1. chipower9 said, on June 25, 2015 at 7:39 am

Good to get a W at home…such a rarity. I mentioned yesterday that the Giants went through a similar patch last year in June, and specifically, they lost 14 of 17 at home. Need to get a win today and win the series before the rox hit town.

What a sweet catch by Blanco last night. I still think he is the best defensive OFer on the club. And going 2-2 with a walk. Susac with two also (of only 6 hits…but when someone hits a grand salame…I guess you don’t need a ton of hits).

Belt and Pagan need to find their strokes again and start contributing to the offense. Pagan is an absolute black hole at the plate. I wonder, as others have, if he is 100%. I mean I want to win my bet against Irish Kev (Pagan playing in 100 games), but I want to see the dude light it up, too!

Go get ’em Ben Hur!

2. alleykat69 said, on June 25, 2015 at 7:56 am

As Bochy said: Love the” GRANDSLAM”
    Gotta agree with that!!

• twinfan1 said, on June 25, 2015 at 8:48 am

In the category of the famous chestnut “if my aunt had balls, she’d be my uncle”, a commenter here intoned ,when bitching about the offense, “if not for Buster’s slam…”

• chipower9 said, on June 25, 2015 at 10:05 am

Bahaha…I use that one regularly “if my aunt had balls, she would be my uncle.” Yes, without the salami, it would have been a much more interesting contest. That’s baseball…

3. willedav said, on June 25, 2015 at 8:05 am

Vogs, like the present day composer in the quote from E. Varese that Frank Zappa used to put on his LPs, “refuses to die.” Hard to tell how much last night was him or Pads suckitude/giants D. But hey, he’s lowered the ERA to 4.05. Also ably assisted by Lopez Kontos Machi 3 hitless scoreless innings.

Speaking of Pads suckitude, Tues new mgr. Murph has Melvin the bad Upton leading off, last night it’s Kemp.
    Wonder what else this guy has up his sleeve.

Susac seems to be rolling, which would be a great thing since others around him are experiencing their own June swoons. Belt was 5 for last 45 coming into last night, another 0-4. He’s hitting .140 on the season vs. LHP.
    Too many called K’s for me; I wish he was more aggressive and less patient esp with shift on.
    There’s a lot of open space out there.

• chipower9 said, on June 25, 2015 at 8:13 am

Hey, Vogs did also shut-down the Mariners in Seattle…oh snap, they are like the worst hitting team in the AL…

4. chipower9 said, on June 25, 2015 at 8:08 am

Okay, so this is not a serious proposition…it is more to set a fire under Belt’s ass (seems to have worked on multiple occasions when he has slumped). Yeah, right.

This morning on KNBR they were pointing out Posey’s hitting splits between when he plays 1st and catches. What I found is slightly different that what was mentioned, but still, he hits almost 30 points higher for average (.280 vs. .308). His OBP is almost 40 points higher (.352 vs. .390), while SLG is marginally better at .450 vs. .462). OPS .802 vs. .851.

So, what the hell does it all mean?

Well, I have no confidence that Peavy will be able to contribute regularly, and while I have a better feeling about Cain, he is still a wildcard coming off the injuries, so there are no guarantees that he will come in and kick ass.

I think the team will need another top or middle of the rotation starter (someone better than the four-headed monster of Vogey, Hudson, Heston, and Timmy).

So, package Belt as part of a trade for an arm. Posey plays first most of the time and occasionally spells Susac behind the dish (Posey has gotten significantly better playing D at 1st (he picked a nice one out of the dirt last night, and regulary makes that play). You still have Ishi to play 1st if needed, and in a pinch (this is a real stretch, but it has happened), Arias can also play 1st.

• chipower9 said, on June 25, 2015 at 8:15 am

5. chipower9 said, on June 25, 2015 at 8:15 am

In all seriousness, I think the team will have to pick-up a pitcher, and it will probably have to be via trade to truly get a quality arm. Not sure if there will be someone who fits the team’s need via the Sabean dumpster dive, and I am not sure that Sabean has yet trained Evans in the finer points of this strategy.

• twinfan1 said, on June 25, 2015 at 8:33 am

They would not be doing until they saw how Cain and Peavy fared and if they needed to ,it would be at deadline, not before. Earlier than that and it’s too expensive
      IMO

• chipower9 said, on June 25, 2015 at 8:45 am

I agree, Michael. I did not put any time parameters on a deal, but I do believe they will need to add an arm to make/go deep in the post-season. There has been some chatter of late that the Giants may be interested in an OFer, too (I think Shulman reported this) with the unknown status of both Pence and Aoki.

6. Lurker John said, on June 25, 2015 at 8:26 am

That’s more like it for the home nine. Buster is having one of his best production years so far, on a pace to drive well over a hundred runs and hit 25-30 homers. Vogey! Two in a row! Keep it up, boyo!

• chipower9 said, on June 25, 2015 at 8:56 am

He will have to ramp it up a bit to reach his 2012 (best season) numbers, especially in regards to OBP and SLG:

2012:
      .336, .408, .549, .957 with 24 HR and 103 RBI

2015, to date:
      .287, .365, .458, .823 with 11 HR and 45 RBI. This does project to about 25 HRs and 105 RBI.

• Lurker John said, on June 25, 2015 at 10:17 am

That .408 OBP is pretty phenomenal, as is .336 BA, but he still hasn’t really had one of his annual hot streaks where he carries the club for a couple of weeks, and the ball travels better in the warmer weather of summer. That pace could adjust accordingly. Hell, 25, 105 sounds pretty damn good to me. πŸ™‚

7. Macdog said, on June 25, 2015 at 8:51 am

Interested to see how Heston does second time vs. Pads, first one earlier last month was arguably his worst start: 11 hits in 5 IP, including a parade of six hits in a 5-run 3rd inning. Pads won’t have Myers and Gyorko, who each got a hit off Heston that game. I’m sure it’ll be a struggle vs. (RS) James, so Heston needs to bring it.

8. twinfan1 said, on June 25, 2015 at 9:16 am

OPS+
    1.Panik 137
    2.Posey 135
    3.Blanco 129
    4. Belt 128
    5.Crawford 128
    6.Aoki 122
    7.Duffy 118
    8.Maxwell 82
    9. Pagan 81

• chipower9 said, on June 25, 2015 at 10:10 am

Belt’s may be 128, but it is sliding faster than the wife’s ability to spend your money…

No surprises with Pagan and Belt…I mentioned that both need to get it going.

• Lurker John said, on June 25, 2015 at 10:18 am

Belt is still doing that really cold, really hot, really cold pattern of his. It’s quite frustrating.

9. pawliekokonuts said, on June 25, 2015 at 9:52 am

Virginia’s winning of the CWS must’ve made one Javier Lopez very pleased. (Maybe y’all covered this last night / wee hours.)

• chipower9 said, on June 25, 2015 at 10:12 am

I did not follow the CWS that closely this year, but a friend said that their path to the title was similar to the Giants path to winning the WS last year. And as he mentioned, they both wear orange.

10. pawliekokonuts said, on June 25, 2015 at 10:00 am

It’d be very sweet if Susac evolves into a sweet-swinging slugger, or quasi-slugger. Is my guy Arias on the bubble? I for one am happy to see Ishi back. Belt needs to drink more caffeine.

• chipower9 said, on June 25, 2015 at 10:15 am

I don’t see Arias going anywhere anytime soon, but this is his last year…I find it hard to believe they resign him.

11. zumiee said, on June 25, 2015 at 10:01 am

Red Sox’s train wreck got worse: Pedroia on the 15 day DL with a hamstring pull.
    Boston could be a seller, but who would you want? They look like they’re heading into Phillies territory.

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 25, 2015 at 10:05 am

…all of which may help my long-distance gf secure Fenway tix from her brother for us . . .

• zumiee said, on June 25, 2015 at 10:07 am

Very cool!

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 25, 2015 at 10:07 am

OFF-TOPIC (zum, NYT is talking about delta water battles as pitting Norcal vs. Socal, enviros vs. farmers, etc. etc. Have you seen their recent pieces?)

• zumiee said, on June 25, 2015 at 10:12 am

I haven’t. It’s definitely a topic of conversation. Also, the fact that it doesn’t seem So Cal is making the same level of sacrifice regarding front lawns, etc . Central Valley lawns are going yellow, with 2 days a week watering. I don’t know what the Bay Area is doing.

• chipower9 said, on June 25, 2015 at 10:20 am

The water situation is a real mess in CA, and it will only get worse. Farmers are drilling into the aquifer to new record levels to get water. Some areas of CA are sinking a foot a year due to the drop in the aquifer. There is the constant battle of releasing water to protect the salmon run, and also to keep the salinity level of the Delta manageable. I will have to check out the NYT piece.

Gail and I have already removed our front lawn and put in native drought-tolerant plants on a drip system. The back yard is dying quickly. Next move will be to replace the existing lawn with fake grass.

And Zum is right…it appears that SoCal is doing less in regards to curtailing water use. I say cut the bastards off and let them build desalination plants.

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 25, 2015 at 10:27 am

but residential and municipal use throughout the state is apparently MINUSCULE compared to agri use, correct?

• zumiee said, on June 25, 2015 at 10:41 am

I have to admit, I don’t know the numbers on that.

• chipower9 said, on June 25, 2015 at 10:48 am

Correct, Pawlie…ag is by far the biggest use of water…

• xoot said, on June 25, 2015 at 12:00 pm

I saw some stats the other day on the amount of water it takes to grow alfalfa in Southern California. Something like 20% of the state’s total water supply gets pumped to those big farms, the guy claimed. The thirsty alfalfa gets harvested, and then dried into hay, and (apparently) sold for less than the water was worth at regular prices (although there’s no real water “market,” so that’s another approx.). But the farmers have some sort of deal on cheap Colo River water, so they make money by evaporating that vast amount of H20 up into the desert air. Brilliant.

• Lurker John said, on June 25, 2015 at 10:20 am

I wonder if they’re having regrets about the $100M they gave Panda. Ya think?

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 25, 2015 at 10:28 am

I think they’d gladly jetison Sandoval for Brock Holt.

12. zumiee said, on June 25, 2015 at 10:06 am

Regarding Belt, it’s one thing to have a great eye at the plate, but it’s another thing to be up there splitting hairs. He’s a likable guy, but kind of frustrating, too.

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 25, 2015 at 10:10 am

I agree. Splitting hairs is just too tentative an approach for a power hitter. He might want to take a page from Willie Mays’s manual. At the Polo Grounds, whose dimensions, nearly begged a hitter to pull, Mays went the opposite way, shortened the field, went for base hits, when he slumped. It invariably worked, as I recall from the Hirsch bio.

• chipower9 said, on June 25, 2015 at 10:22 am

A lot of my “trade Belt” dialogue is tongue-in-check, but there is certainly a serious part to it, too. He would be the piece that could return a decent SP….

• Carstie Clausen said, on June 25, 2015 at 10:32 am

Chi: As much as i admire Belt, i do get the feeling that he may be past simple disgust with ATT. I’m disgusted with the owners for going along with that corporate crap, but they are greedy fuckers so it’s just fine with them not to dump the phonebill and go with Willie Mays Field. So it could just be that BB9 is quietly plumping for a trade.

Houston? They are swamped with prospects, both outfielders and starters. Thing is, SF does not have to trade Belt. They could hold out for one helluva package. There is no clearly dominant team in the Junior League, unlike with StL in the NL. The Stros haven’t been to the dance since long before they switched leagues. They could be hungry enough to make quite an offer for a guy who might well be the next Dave Kingman in their venue.

With some financial considerations added, Philadelphia might get a bite on a Cole Hamels offering. Problem is, they might want to add Howard as well.

• Carstie Clausen said, on June 25, 2015 at 10:26 am

Wondering whether those who go in for intensive video if anyone would care to provide information on Belt’s numerous called third strikes. Obviously he is fooled on some of them. Yet i wonder, with his “great eye at the plate” (agreed) if he isn’t not infrequently victimized by umps either in need of new contacts or who feel that he (being a big, strong guy) shouldn’t be swinging at those pitches juuust outside the black.

• zumiee said, on June 25, 2015 at 10:30 am

I hear you, but it just keeps happening. Called strike three, look of disbelief on Belt’s face, slow walk back to the dugout.

• zumiee said, on June 25, 2015 at 10:33 am

Some of those pitches might be a couple of inches outside, but many look right on the paint. What’s he expecting from the umps? The Giants pitchers want those same calls.

• zumiee said, on June 25, 2015 at 10:36 am

Adrian Gonzales takes those outside pitches to left field, as has been suggested that Belt do, by WillieD and Pawlie.

13. blade3colorado said, on June 25, 2015 at 10:46 am

Good to see Michael commenting . . . Agree about Ishi’s fielding (versus Belt); and, your comments about Pagan. Also, I am frustrated with Belt’s inconsistency. I like what Chi, LJ, and Willie said about him. In fact, Willie’s comment, “Belt was 5 for last 45 coming into last night, another 0-4. He’s hitting .140 on the season vs. LHP” is one reason I AVOID Belt entirely in DFS (especially against lefties). In fact, Belt should be platooned versus them, as that average is PATHETIC. With all the outstanding 1st baseman in MLB, his act is getting old. I doubt it happens during the season as Chi suggested, but Sabevans will seriously consider jettisoning his ass in the off season, if he doesn’t fullfil his promise IMO.

I’m in Missouri visiting relatives. I’ve worn my GMen gear a couple of times and no worries thus far. I like this State. Lots of rolling green hills, with a lot of trees. Driving through Kansas was quite a contrast . . . Flat as a billiard table (LOL . . . Hope none of my friends are from Kansas . . . Umm, I just might have offended them). Going to stay for my cousin’s baseball tournament on Saturday, then continue East toward parts unknown (maybe Tennessee).* He’s an outstanding 2nd baseman for his West Plains high school team. Very, very knowledgeable about the Cardinals of course, but also all MLB teams, including the Giants.

* I will be on the lookout for Loo . . . Hopefully, I will get a photo better then this one:

• chipower9 said, on June 25, 2015 at 10:56 am

Good to see you post. I was wondering about you (saw your FB post that you were in Missouri). Growing up in Northeastern Oklahoma (also lots of trees and rolling hills), we would vacation regularly in Southwest Missouri. Tablerock Lake, etc. Very nice country.

Have never been to Tenneessee, but would love to visit Memphis and Beale Street to take in some blues. I have also heard that Nashville is cool, and have always wanted to see the Smokey Mountains. Happy Trails, Blade.

14. chipower9 said, on June 25, 2015 at 10:50 am

Ishi gets the start…

1. Angel Pagan (S) CF
    2. Joe Panik (L) 2B
    3. Matt Duffy (R) 3B
    4. Buster Posey (R) C
    5. Brandon Belt (L) 1B
    6. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    7. Gregor Blanco (L) RF
    8. Travis Ishikawa (L) LF
    9. Chris Heston (R) P

15. unca_chuck said, on June 25, 2015 at 11:08 am

Well, pagans out of the 3 hole anyway.

16. Bozo said, on June 25, 2015 at 11:26 am

Top 4 SF strike out leaders – hitting
    Belt – 73 Ks, 233 AB
    Craw – 57 Ks, 248 AB
    Maxwell -, 43 Ks, 110 AB
    Pagan – 42 Ks, 268 AB

Last three games Belt has 6Ks in 11 ABs

Fun Fact that doesn’t mean anything – Heston has thrown for 73 Strike Outs in 84 innings.

I thought Belt was striking out a bunch lately, but I really hadn’t realized that he was striking out that often for the season. 73 Ks in 67 games, maybe he does have a hole in that swing (just kidding, I think) or that good eye of his needs a corrective lens.

17. willedav said, on June 25, 2015 at 11:47 am

Listened to some of Kuiper on radio last night, and Zum’s right he is much more engaged.
    Even alongside Flem (whom I can’t stand) he was telling funny story of his kid days getting marine buzzcuts every 6 weeks from his Dad.
    Also, Kuip loves Duffy. And really his AB vs. Kennedy, fouling off couple fastballs and laying off the slop changeup (unlike others) to draw the walk to load the bags before Posey slam, was a big key to the night.
    Guy really does battle up there and I’d leave him right where he is batting 3rd.
    What’s behind him Posey Belt Craw, isn’t bad middle order either and Blanco is hitting very well right now.
    He is also dang good OF who can play anywhere.

Until they figure out health issues of Aoki and Pence it’s pretty hard to do much except go with what they have.
    Going forward tho, I’d anticipate some changes made. Max isn’t cutting it, and Belt and Ishi are below avg. OFs; Pagan at the plate is hard to watch too. Hope he can pull out of slump with some leadoff ABs..
    If Belt is hitting that’s one thing, but if he isn’t…

18. willedav said, on June 25, 2015 at 12:35 pm

Supposed to be mid-70s in SF (90 where I am south of there), about as nice a day for a summer in SF you’re going to get. Tomorrow too.
    Could easily be a rare hitters yard today at ATT.

SF also has Sat/Sun day games vs. Sherps this weekend Hudson Lincecum Bum.

19. chipower9 said, on June 25, 2015 at 12:53 pm

El Caballo Loco! First extra-base hit in 15 games…I knew he was struggling, but jeez. Keep it going Crazy Horse!

Panik attack!

20. Bozo said, on June 25, 2015 at 12:53 pm

Nice start. Pagan and Panik, back in business.

21. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 25, 2015 at 12:55 pm

I was wondering if leading off might get Pagan going. Panik flashing speed with the sb…

22. Carstie Clausen said, on June 25, 2015 at 12:55 pm

No shields against Pagan Baby breaking outta his XBH schneid followed by a Panik attack.

23. chipower9 said, on June 25, 2015 at 12:59 pm

Thank you very much. I will take credit for that “Belted” triple bagger. Every time I talk shit about Belt and mention that he should be traded, he usually heats-up. Let’s hope this poke was just an indication of more good things to come for BB9.

24. Bozo said, on June 25, 2015 at 12:59 pm

Belt rips a triple.

25. chipower9 said, on June 25, 2015 at 1:01 pm

Crooked numbers are good…when they are on your side of the scoreboard. Good start against Not So Big Game During the Regular Season Shields.

26. willedav said, on June 25, 2015 at 1:01 pm

Belt hammered that one too, 3 rockets already.
    Shields one of those guys probably good to get to early.
    Heston has bad habit of letting teams back into games after Giants get him a lead; Pads appear to be in hack mode too, which can be used against them.

27. Carstie Clausen said, on June 25, 2015 at 1:02 pm

No splash, but a very nice slash by BB9.

28. giants54 said, on June 25, 2015 at 1:38 pm

No Pence… Belt .164/.244/.288/.532, Pagan .179/.241/.192/.434…for June ..rotation in flux…..

yet, still just a game back and 1.5 back in the WC. Gotta feel fortunate about where they sit.

29. chipower9 said, on June 25, 2015 at 1:46 pm

I am going to keep talking smack about Belt and how he should be traded. Always seems to get his ass going.

• alleykat69 said, on June 25, 2015 at 1:58 pm

Changing players Chi,Yeah we can talk all the shit we want about McDP, and of course we do, but as much you polish a turd,it’s still a turd!!

• chipower9 said, on June 25, 2015 at 2:20 pm

Never tried my juju on McDP…and do not care to…I would just rather see him DFA’d.

30. alleykat69 said, on June 25, 2015 at 1:49 pm

2 Triples for Brandon Belt?
    Who does he think he is, Willie McCovey against Robin Roberts in his major league debut?

31. chipower9 said, on June 25, 2015 at 1:55 pm

Ben-Hur helping himself out.

32. Bozo said, on June 25, 2015 at 2:01 pm

And the line keeps moving.

33. Carstie Clausen said, on June 25, 2015 at 2:05 pm

Once again Brandon the Slasher Belt keys that Conga Line. Alleykat: I recall buying a Sporting News at a long gone pharmacy at Lake and Nicollet in Minneapolis, just a couple blocks where #24 played his last minor league games for the Millers. Reason i purchased the paper as a 14 y.o. kid was the account of McCoveys pair of triples. Wish i still had it.

34. Bozo said, on June 25, 2015 at 2:07 pm

Nice play, Joe.

35. Bozo said, on June 25, 2015 at 2:12 pm

Triple, triple, for the Giants.

36. Bozo said, on June 25, 2015 at 2:13 pm

“Keep them doggies rollin’, rawhide”

37. Carstie Clausen said, on June 25, 2015 at 2:14 pm

Heston is ON today. Looks like he’s gonna be a good one. Pads have seen him more than once now ~~ and he has seen them as well. Methinks we are looking at a decent #3 starter.

38. Bozo said, on June 25, 2015 at 2:20 pm

The White Shark is on the hunt.

39. chipower9 said, on June 25, 2015 at 2:21 pm

Granted, four of yesterday’s six runs came compliments of Posey’s grand salami…but today, they have the hit line going…and going…and going. Let’s hope they keep it going against the sherpas, too!

40. Macdog said, on June 25, 2015 at 2:32 pm

Taylor-made double play.

41. blade3colorado said, on June 25, 2015 at 2:41 pm

Heston is dealin’ . . .

• blade3colorado said, on June 25, 2015 at 2:44 pm

umm, except for that boo boo.

42. chipower9 said, on June 25, 2015 at 2:52 pm

Crawdaddy with another 3 bagger!

43. Carstie Clausen said, on June 25, 2015 at 2:54 pm

Quadruple triples for us and one for them. Whatever virus BB9 picked up, it seems to be quite contagious

44. zumiee said, on June 25, 2015 at 3:05 pm

Affeldt is harshing my mellow today.

45. Carstie Clausen said, on June 25, 2015 at 3:08 pm

Anybody suppose that some team hungry \for an experienced BP southpaw would take Affeldt off our hands ~maybe as part of a package? His ERA coming into today’s immediate two doubles and a run was 4.37 and his WHIP stands at a skyrocketing 1.68. Both figures just took a jump. Maybe a change of scenery would do him some good ~ maybe as much as it would help the bullies.

46. chipower9 said, on June 25, 2015 at 3:10 pm

Fucking Affeldt. Dude has sucked balls of late. Come on…put a foot on the friars’ throats and close this bitch out.

47. Bozo said, on June 25, 2015 at 3:11 pm

What tha? I leave for just a bit when its 7-0 now its 9-5? Shut these mother fuckers down.

48. chipower9 said, on June 25, 2015 at 3:22 pm

Come on dammit…get out of this nightmare of an inning.

49. xoot said, on June 25, 2015 at 3:24 pm

Romo cut down Upton and Middlebrooks masterfully. Then the LHs came to the plate.

• xoot said, on June 25, 2015 at 3:26 pm

And finally, another RH.

50. chipower9 said, on June 25, 2015 at 3:24 pm

You have got to be kidding me. FUCK!

51. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 25, 2015 at 3:25 pm

Is anyone watching this? Do those plays to Pagan look as bad as they sound?

• zumiee said, on June 25, 2015 at 3:27 pm

K&K said Pagan had no chance.

52. zumiee said, on June 25, 2015 at 3:26 pm

Bullpen fiasco.

53. chipower9 said, on June 25, 2015 at 3:28 pm

Good question Dirt. Un-real. Seven run leads down to a one run lead. The G-men better close this fucker out. No pressure, Casilla.

54. unca_chuck said, on June 25, 2015 at 3:33 pm

WTF???

• zumiee said, on June 25, 2015 at 3:36 pm

It’s mostly on Affeldt. He was a big gas-can.

55. zumiee said, on June 25, 2015 at 3:38 pm

Duffman to the rescue!

• zumiee said, on June 25, 2015 at 3:39 pm

With an actual positive contribution from McG!

• chipower9 said, on June 25, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Who?

56. chipower9 said, on June 25, 2015 at 3:38 pm

WHOOP WHOOP!

57. Bozo said, on June 25, 2015 at 3:39 pm

Whew. WTG Buster.

58. chipower9 said, on June 25, 2015 at 3:40 pm

Posey is heating up…six Giant hitters today with multi hit games.

59. Bozo said, on June 25, 2015 at 3:41 pm

That Pac Bell, sure is a hitters park, ain’t she?

• chipower9 said, on June 25, 2015 at 3:41 pm

πŸ˜‰

60. chipower9 said, on June 25, 2015 at 3:41 pm

Make that SEVEN Giants with multi hits today! Way to go MudBug!

61. Bozo said, on June 25, 2015 at 3:42 pm

62. Carstie Clausen said, on June 25, 2015 at 3:49 pm

So is a five run lead safe with three whole outs to go?

63. Bozo said, on June 25, 2015 at 3:56 pm

Yet, another reason I have high blood pressure. Way to out slug em, Giants.

64. unca_chuck said, on June 25, 2015 at 3:58 pm

Jesus. Forgot to tape this one.

damn.

65. chipower9 said, on June 25, 2015 at 4:02 pm

I got this one recorded Charlie…will have to check out some of the highlights…especially the Pagan plays on the balls hit to him.

Series win…bring on the sherpas.

66. Carstie Clausen said, on June 25, 2015 at 4:11 pm

Hitting at home. wouldja believe? Novel concept for this team. Hope it sticks. Giants are well and away the NL leader in base hits and just resumed their lead in triples. They are now no worse than 4th in runs scored, having just passed the laBumbos in that category. Their slugging percentage is still around 7th, but their OBP has popped back up to second. If this novel notion catches on, SF looks like one good hitting team. When Aoki and Pence return they could become lethal.

67. Flavor said, on June 25, 2015 at 4:24 pm

it really does help the hitters when it’s warm out here. Wind dies down. Nothing to knock balls down. I know they didn’t hit any bombs, and I didn’t hear the game, but 5 triples today? I’m guessing most of those bounced high off the wall in triples alley.

• Lisle Ellis said, on June 25, 2015 at 4:33 pm

Curious to see how Cain will deal with the heat here … 104F in the shade in my backyard at present … Shouldn’t be much below 100 at game time … but it’s a dry heat … πŸ™‚

68. Lisle Ellis said, on June 25, 2015 at 4:28 pm

WHEW! … no wonder I’m losing my mind this season … after the top of the 8th I was throwing in the towel and headin’ out the door to the methadone clinic – attention Kat & Loo;) … Duffman to the rescue! … Now, I’m off to my fav waterin’ hole to get sloshed which will be preceeded by a brief stop at the corner to re-up on my condiment of choice. Finally, a trip to the ballpark to watch Cain bring down his hammer on the Grizzlies. Yes, it IS Cain tonite, not Blach as I reported yesterday … Grizz website changed SP lineup this morning. Thanks again to Duffman for saving me from the horrors of sobriety. GO GIANTS!!!

• Flavor said, on June 25, 2015 at 5:53 pm

Re-upping on the condiments….you’re going to fit in fine with this crew πŸ™‚

• alleykat69 said, on June 25, 2015 at 6:03 pm

Nice to have you on board the lunantic flap madness site Lisle.
      I’ll tip back many a alcohol beverage with you my man!!
      Off the Heroin now, but a few more Giggles DP, I might have to shoot up again!πŸ’‰

69. djloo27 said, on June 25, 2015 at 4:44 pm

Sure looked like Romo was DL bound when he hobbled off…

70. Lurker John said, on June 25, 2015 at 7:40 pm

Ol’ Big Game got his ass handed to him today. Looks like Buster may be heating up for one of his extended hot streaks; 7 ribbies in 2 games, Craw and Pagan back off the schneid, Moses with 8 wins. Good day.

71. djloo27 said, on June 25, 2015 at 7:51 pm

May have to retract my proclamation that Heston goes down when the $32 million SPs return next week.
    Leaning now to some combo of phantom DL stints for Huddy, Petit, Affeldt and/or Romo. A trip to the pen for Timmy, and a possible trade or DFA for Machi.
    Did I leave anything out?

• Paul Sorensen said, on June 25, 2015 at 8:11 pm

Yeah, Huddy is the tricky one. How does Bochy take him out of the rotation, in the final year of his stellar career? Affeldt and Romo are definitely candidates for phantom injuries. Agree there’s a trade wind comin’ up though as Michael said, maybe closer to the deadline….

• Macdog said, on June 25, 2015 at 8:27 pm

Agree on just about all of that. How can they even think of bumping Heston when he’s the only one other than MadBum who has a chance to get through 7 innings.

72. Flavor said, on June 25, 2015 at 8:03 pm

my guess is a trip to pen for Timmy at the very least.

73. pawliekokonuts said, on June 25, 2015 at 8:15 pm

Mark me down as officially concerned about Affeldt. Was it windy today? You’d think we were back with Stu Miller in the ASG. Loved watching Cheshire-cat Bochy on the postgame MLB highlight. Have yet to see Pagan’s impersonation of Pete Reiser.

74. alleykat69 said, on June 25, 2015 at 8:23 pm

I could see the phantom injury for Huddy coming up. His age the Giants would rather have him fresher for the stretch/ playoff run with less strain on that old arm, no way they want him near 180 innings pitched in his farewell season..

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 25, 2015 at 8:30 pm

I’m fairly amazed the union doesn’t squawk more on these para-quasi-semi-injuries. I guess if you’re still getting paid, no big.

75. djloo27 said, on June 25, 2015 at 8:37 pm

Stu Miller not only gave up Mantle’s 500th career homer, he also gave up Hank Aaron’s 2nd career bomb about 13 years earlier…

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 25, 2015 at 9:53 pm

is this all in your head?!

76. djloo27 said, on June 25, 2015 at 8:40 pm

I have a feeling Petit might be part of a surprise move…
    Last year’s heroics might’ve been a little fluky.

77. zumiee said, on June 25, 2015 at 9:37 pm

Speaking of phantom injuries, no one does it as well as the guys in this sport:

78. James said, on June 25, 2015 at 10:28 pm

Belt 5-45, yet Panik goes 9-46 recently between games 58-69 and there’s absolutely no perception or notice that he’s gone a little cold. The impression that strike 3 leaves always distorts the reality of actual production.

• snarkk said, on June 25, 2015 at 11:25 pm

For some reason, Belt is a lightning rod for the naysayers. He hits a few dingers, and he’s a big guy, so lots of fans think he should be hitting them all the time. They even would put Ishi at first over Belt. That’s just kwazy…

79. zumiee said, on June 26, 2015 at 12:19 am

I think it looks like, to most Giants fans, Panik is maxxing his potential so far, and Belt isn’t. Panik is an All-Star at his position, and Belt isn’t. Maybe Belt is maxxing his talent level for all we know.

• snarkk said, on June 26, 2015 at 12:34 am

At least one of Belt’s two triples in yesterday’s 13-8 win would be a home run in most parks. If he played with the Rangers or Astros or anywhere with an average park’s dimensions, he’d likely have 15 HRs by now and another 10 RBIs. His power is definitely drained at ATT. That’s why if he starts hitting to left center he’ll be in good shape, means his swing is where it needs to be…

80. zumiee said, on June 26, 2015 at 7:37 am

Have a great weekend, Flappers! I’m going camping for a few days, and will be in ‘radio silence.’ πŸ™‚
    Beat the Rockies!!

81. willedav said, on June 26, 2015 at 7:39 am

James is right Panik was in a slump; I remember hearing from Kuip he was 4-20 something on the last road trip and the BA tho still pretty high dropped quite a bit.
    Still surprise to me to see him at top of OPS list for Giants hitters.

Hudson goes on DL, it might only be for 15 day stretch. I think that’s what went into decision to delay adding in Peavy and Cain to give him another start at home. Last time out Hudson shut out LA after the 2 first inning bombs in SF win at the Latrine.
    I still think he knows what he is doing out there more so than Lincecum.

Sherps off the mountain and back to sea level…tho it didn’t seem to bother them last time in town.

82. James said, on June 26, 2015 at 7:40 am

There’s no doubt that Panik is a more valuable player than Belt so far this year, given the positions they play. OTOH, if Belt finishes the year in the 820-840 OPS range, there would be no reason to be disappointed with his performance, no matter how “inconsistent” — the red herring charge my comment was really addressed at — his hitting is. The question of his K rate can be answered with Chi’s aunt with balls conditional: if Belt had a low K rate (and played in Arizona), he’d be Paul Goldschmidt.

BTW, Belt is hitting .306 with an 880 OPS w/ RISP. His relatively modest RBI total is a result of fewer PAs and an inordinate number of runners held at third.

• djloo27 said, on June 26, 2015 at 8:32 am

New stat: INORHAT
      Belt probably is among the league leaders…

83. willedav said, on June 26, 2015 at 8:36 am

Of Giants 19 hits yesterday, Max and Ishi got none while striking out 4 of 5 times up combined.
    Slump or no I’d rather see Belt in LF with Susac C and Posey at 1b.
    Ishi isn’t going to be much help vs. LHP either.

Belt said some funny stuff yesterday about going after Pagan’s triples record and getting his giraffe stride in gear. Seems very likeable guy, not too caught up in ups/downs of being a ml hitter.

Hope these first couple new Sherps SPs I’ve never heard of aren’t too much trouble.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 26, 2015 at 9:15 am

HAHA, yeah. Something like “for most guys those are doubles”. He is pretty funny.

84. willedav said, on June 26, 2015 at 8:57 am

More Belt #s: for his career OPS is at .736 vs. LHP, so this year something of an anomaly. If the options are Max and his .215 avg. vs everyone and Ishi career .595 OPS vs. LHP, I’ll take Belt and like it.
    Also, career OPS at home actually 12 points higher than on road, .803 vs. .791.
    He has 20 more HRs on the road but more doubles/triples/higher OB at home.

Blanco has .800 OPS now and Susac up to .783…hope they keep it rolling.

85. djloo27 said, on June 26, 2015 at 9:30 am

I’m drowning in stats. I miss the simple numbers of the old baseball cards:

• wilcojoe said, on June 26, 2015 at 9:39 am

My six year old started collecting cards recently. They now show WAR, OPS, and WHIP on the back, among others. You need a magnefine glass when trying to read Latroy Hawkins.

• Lurker John said, on June 26, 2015 at 10:18 am

I agree. When you grow up with something it stays with you for life. I think most here at least dabbled in baseball cards as a kid. I know I did.

86. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 26, 2015 at 10:29 am

Mac Williamson bumped up to Sac.

What’s the report on Cain from our man on the scene Lisle?

87. twinfan1 said, on June 26, 2015 at 10:56 am

* Duvall got so depressed about not getting the first crack at Casey’s job that he’s quit being a AAAA or even AAA hitter. now he’s an AA and a half hittter

*Now that Zobrist might be available again, Panik is on borrowed time

*Angel toughed it out for the good of the team? Or did he want “tough dude” added to his resume?

*Have you ever noticed that although kittens are totally adobable they are also totally annoying? Like when 2 of them crawl up your legs and into your boxer shorts.

*It’s time to admit it- Pence is injury prone.

*Hotter than Hades and the swamp cooler and ceiling fan both went out. If I swing on the chandelier it keeps Merna cool but I think it’s cruel of her to ask.

*Pitching tonight and tommow are two guys who have already been demoted . I don’t know about you all, but I’m not totally sanguine about relying on two guys who have been heard to say “why live?”.

* OK, I’ve done better. But not too bad considering that two kittens are playing with my balls.