Big Game For Big Time Timmy Jim Jim

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 27, 2015

I simply refuse to believe that Jake Peavy gets to slide neatly into the rotation if he continues to suck shit in the minor leagues. I don’t buy that “results don’t matter, how he feels the next day does” bullshit.

Look, if you aren’t missing bats in Triple A it’s likely you won’t be missing them at this level. Peavy got blasted again yesterday and frankly, when was the last time this guy had a good start? Maybe the end of the regular season last year?

If Timmy has a good start today (I know, I know) I’d like to believe he still keeps a spot somehow with Hudson, who seems to be at the end of the road, hitting the DL with “old man syndrome” or something less life threatening and Cain rejoining the rotation when he’s ready…..

1. Paul Sorensen said, on June 28, 2015 at 7:51 pm

This annual 4th of July east coast trip has often been pure hell for the G’s. Seems something weird often happens playing in Miami, and DC over the holiday, in that hot humidity, ugh. Still remember the series there back in 2012, G’s got swept, looked totally beat, ‘Nats broadcasters were laughing at the Giants and practically giving the World Series trophy to Washington already. Hah. Very key trip this year, trying to catch LA and we finally get to see Cain and Peavy. Should be a good one this time around.

2. twinfan1 said, on June 28, 2015 at 8:07 pm

BA and OPS+ for June ( thru yesterday)
    Duffy .307 149
    Panik .330 146
    Posey .299 145
    Blanco .350 122
    Aoki .388 110
    Crawford .226 100
    Belt .195 72
    Pagan .195 36
    Maxwell .158 42

3. twinfan1 said, on June 28, 2015 at 8:12 pm

Thanks for the POTD, Craig.

• alleykat69 said, on June 28, 2015 at 8:26 pm

Hey Michael,
      Good seeing you post a little more.
      Doing OK? Along with Merna&Zeke

• twinfan1 said, on June 28, 2015 at 9:22 pm

As good as can be, Kat. It’s our 43rd Anniversary Tuesday, we have other and it’s a good thing since we’re together 22 or 23 hours a day ๐Ÿ˜‰ Zeke keeps bouncing back but has a lot of trouble getting up. Merna can’t walk anymore, i have progressive radiation damage. Sounds bad but we’ve learned how to live with it over the years-it ‘s a different life but just one more stage .Life is good , although i no longer have my fastball. ๐Ÿ˜‰
        Go, Giants. Will the odd year Jinx be broken?

• djloo27 said, on June 28, 2015 at 9:38 pm

You passed up this to get married???

• snarkk said, on June 28, 2015 at 9:42 pm

Sheez, I had forgotten that Dick Dietz was a Dodger at some point. Giants already had lost 46 games before July 1. Figures…

4. alleykat69 said, on June 28, 2015 at 8:23 pm

Yeah Stix,
    I’m all in with Duffy. Matter of fact I had Heston as my MVP 1st half ( still not a bad choice) but Duffy has impressed so much he’s clearly the front runner.Although a really solid month out of Posey as well( 27Rbi’s for the month and now up to 53 that’s some great production)
    What amazes me with this team goes back to last year, their expecting Scoots to be their guy, and of course his back blows up, they give Brandon Hicks a shot,gives us some good play, then he stopped hitting and fielding, so Sabean throw some darts in Bochy’s office and they hit a bullseye calling up a green kid named Joe Panik who not only raked out of the gate, he makes plays in the field ( some outstanding like the one with Craw in the W/S
    Then this year they strike gold again, after Fatso decided he was being disrespected and bails to Beantown for a full plate of beans as well, they were stuck with not knowing who’s playing 3rd? They take a shot at McGehee hoping for some stability for 1 season, but nooooooo he was nothing but a “BUZZKILL” where every rally ended in his automatic 2 ball which was sucking life out of me every time I saw him in the batters box I just wanted to puke cause I already along with everyone here knew what was gonna happen next!!
    Oh wait now for the happy times,Bochy finally said: Duffy grab a glove and head to 3 rd cause MCDP is killing me and my ulcers!!
    So Duffy starts hitting like Roy Hobbs and plays a decent 3rd which will only get better with more innings played over there, and the Giants strike gold again all homegrown infield that will be set for along time..Now about the homegrown outfielders, never mind..

• djloo27 said, on June 28, 2015 at 9:40 pm

Great stuff, Kat…

• twinfan1 said, on June 28, 2015 at 9:47 pm

i think that these numbers a true or very close but I’ve read that of 19 GiDP chances, Casey has cashed in in on 11 of them, astounding ..

• snarkk said, on June 28, 2015 at 10:00 pm

Miller or Flemm on the radio the last time I heard several days ago when I was in my car said that McDP had hit into 15 total DPs so far. Baseball reference confirms. This is in only 127 ABs. Incredible…

• Lurker John said, on June 29, 2015 at 12:27 pm

LOL. Astounding is the perfect word.

5. zumiee said, on June 28, 2015 at 9:08 pm

Duffy is doing great, but his chances of winning the ROY are very small. Pederson has already had a feature article in Sports Illustrated. And his stats are very good. Batting average is low, but he walks a lot, and the OBP is excellent. And he has 19 HRs. His chances are even better if L.A. wins the division.
    The league could be catching up a bit with Pederson; he’s vulnerable to inside breaking pitches. But a lot of pitchers seem afraid of him. The Giants, overall, seem to handle him OK, though.

6. Paul Sorensen said, on June 28, 2015 at 9:49 pm

RIP Chris Squire. Back in ’73, I slept in line outside the old Spectrum in Philly for Yes tickets and had 5th row center seats. Filmed it in Super 8. Long gone. Still can’t believe my parents let me even think about sleeping in line at the Spectrum. There was a Slade concert that night I was in line; man, what a hoot watching bloodied body after bruised body get tossed out onto the sidewalk by security. Quite a night. Amazing I even remember it, considering what was being passed around the line all night…. Squire’s bass was like an extra instrument in their music.

• zumiee said, on June 28, 2015 at 10:33 pm

I’m not hugely familiar with Yes’ music, but I always thought the bass playing on this song was incredible:

• snarkk said, on June 28, 2015 at 10:42 pm

The only Yes album I have…

• zumiee said, on June 28, 2015 at 10:48 pm

It’s a great one. And that awesome artwork on the cover, too. I miss vinyl albums, with the big artwork. But once the music business transitioned to CDs, I gave up on vinyl, and gave all mine away. Vinyl’s making a little bit of a comeback these days, which is cool, but it’s mostly as a hipster thing.

• snarkk said, on June 28, 2015 at 11:13 pm

I’ve got about 450 vinyl albums sitting around.
        And, I’ve got an old Marantz turntable, still works, but I can’t find a place to put it and hook up with my system…

• Paul Sorensen said, on June 28, 2015 at 10:46 pm

Close to the Edge was always one of my favorite “concept albums” back in the day. Granted, probably had to be stoned to get into it, which wasn’t a problem back then….

• Macdog said, on June 28, 2015 at 10:49 pm

Very sad news. I think he was the only member to play on every Yes studio album, so he truly was the heart of the band.

7. Macdog said, on June 28, 2015 at 10:24 pm

MadBum 1,000th K and hits a homer . . . and he’s only a month shy of 26.

8. Paul Sorensen said, on June 28, 2015 at 10:56 pm

Interestingly enough, Zum, Vinyl is the name of my (currently) favorite pub in Saigon, and they do have a great playlist every night….

• snarkk said, on June 28, 2015 at 11:13 pm

Is that what they play, or what they wear? ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Paul Sorensen said, on June 28, 2015 at 11:15 pm

What they wear: as little as possible. It’s hot year-round here, ya know…

• snarkk said, on June 28, 2015 at 11:16 pm

I know, don’t rub it in. ๐Ÿ˜‰
        So, nobody calls it Ho Chi Minh City, it’s back to Saigon?
        Just looked up the Vinyl pub — looks pretty good, Trip Advisor gives it great reviews…

9. zumiee said, on June 28, 2015 at 11:21 pm

In the category of “creative promotion”….sportswriter Molly Knight, who I’d literally never heard of before, has a book about the Dodgers coming out in a couple of weeks, and she is offering autographs to anyone who sends her a photo of themselves pre-ordering the book online. She writes a message and autograph on a bookplate, which is basically a sticker that you put inside the book. Kind of a cool promotion, I guess.

• zumiee said, on June 28, 2015 at 11:26 pm

OK, let’s just say, as sportswriters go, she’s a lot easier on the eyes than Henry Schulman:

• snarkk said, on June 28, 2015 at 11:30 pm

Since the Dodgers haven’t won much of anything since the team was bought from the parking lot guy, what could this book possibly be about that’s worth reading?…

• zumiee said, on June 28, 2015 at 11:33 pm

I think it’s going to focus on the soap-opera elements. Puig is shredded in the book, apparently.

10. alleykat69 said, on June 28, 2015 at 11:23 pm

Yeah that’s really sad news about Chris Squires passing.
    He was the glue that kept the band together.
    Saw Yes twice, once at Winterland( my main concert partying smoke filled establishments) and the Cow Palace with Rick Wakefield on keyboards, both excellent shows..

11. Paul Sorensen said, on June 28, 2015 at 11:27 pm

Snarkk, official name of Saigon since the North took over in ’75 is Ho Chi Minh City, but most southerners still refer to it as Saigon. If you’re talking about the entire metro area, it’s often called Ho Chi Minh City with only the city center called Saigon, but most people I know refer to the whole thing as Saigon. And the airport code is still SGN, and the word Saigon is still used in many of the brands here (Saigon beer, Saigon Tourist, Saigon Hotel, etc.). Northerners, however, being good Uncle Ho communists as they are, never refer to it as Saigon…

• snarkk said, on June 28, 2015 at 11:32 pm

Got it…

12. zumiee said, on June 28, 2015 at 11:32 pm

A Molly Knight tweet:

Molly Knight โ€@molly_knight 5h5 hours ago
    I feel like Matt Duffy is becoming the Giants’ Justin Turner. Which like, isn’t fair because the Giants already had a lot of nice things.

• snarkk said, on June 28, 2015 at 11:34 pm

Like, she like, sounds like a SoCal dipstick blond. But, I could be wrong. If someone uses that “like” word as they “tweet”, they must have a very serious infection of it. And, like, I’ll take the Duffman over the Beard #2…

13. snarkk said, on June 28, 2015 at 11:37 pm

I’ve tried for years to stop the Snarkettes from using “like” as a crutch word. It is difficult, as their girlfriends are infected seriously with that problem. Still, the Snarkettes are better than their friends about it, at least around me…

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 29, 2015 at 1:02 pm

It’s like, um, normal, like, to a point.

14. unca_chuck said, on June 29, 2015 at 8:02 am

It fades with time. After high school for my girls.

15. Lurker John said, on June 29, 2015 at 12:23 pm

Snarkk, I’m adding my reply to your reply here as well as on the previous page. I wanted to get your take on what I said and thought you might miss the other posting:

After watching him wear down to the nub during the playoffs last year, I totally agree. Clearly his batting performance was hindered by exhaustion. I guess it comes down to whether or not the Giants feel good with Susac as their full time catcher moving forward. If they do, Posey should be at first ASAP. Clearly they do not yet feel comfortable, but Susac is getting his chance. I think the G’s could use Posey’s better hitting than they could his D behind the plate. He’s a fine catcher, but he’s no Yadier Molina.

Also, I didn’t mean to imply that the stats you mentioned weren’t true, I completely believed you. The one thing I didn’t get is the sample size, i.e. how many games has he had at first versus catcher. Anyway, interesting topic. The prospect of an even better hitting Posey has to be enticing for all Giants fans, because he’s having a hell of a year now.

• Bozo said, on June 29, 2015 at 1:38 pm

The weird thing to me is that the last three years we tend to lose more games when Posey touches a 1B mitt. I don’t know why, but the numbers are,
      2015 to date 9-11,
      2014 17-18, and
      2013 10-11.
      Now, in 2012 we kicked some ass with him at First, our record was 20-9. Again, not sure why..

• snarkk said, on June 29, 2015 at 5:08 pm

No offense taken. I wanted I see the stats for myself and post them. I’ve looked them up before , they’re clearer and more impressive the larger the sample size gets. Interesting stat that Posey at 1b generates ambiguous Win/ Loss results…

16. Lurker John said, on June 29, 2015 at 12:25 pm

And I’m absolutely behind Duffy for ROY. He will, however, be completely ignored by the eastern media establishment. That’s fine. He’s a Giant and that’s all that matters.

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 29, 2015 at 12:57 pm

je concours

17. Lurker John said, on June 29, 2015 at 12:29 pm

I didn’t know about Chris Squire’s passing. That’s sad and he was way too young. Great rock ‘n’ roll bassist. Yes is one of my favorite bands. First time I heard Roundabout I was hooked.

18. pawliekokonuts said, on June 29, 2015 at 1:01 pm

Been busy this weekend with the HS graduation of my youngest. I used to sardonically comment that I’d be in a wheelchair by the time of her graduation, being an older father than most (I turned 49 the year of her birth). Well, I wasn’t in a wheelchair, and beamed. Great event. And the Giants won a series against the oft-vexing Sherpas.

19. pawliekokonuts said, on June 29, 2015 at 1:01 pm

Really like that POTD from Twinfan.

20. unca_chuck said, on June 29, 2015 at 5:07 pm

Good to see you here, Mike and a hearty congrats to you Merna, and Zeke.

21. twinfan1 said, on June 29, 2015 at 5:35 pm

Good to see you, as well. Any reason to even watch the Niners this year? I guess I’ll have to get used to torture.
    At least we have practice.

22. Carstie Clausen said, on June 29, 2015 at 5:45 pm

McCovey Chronicles just did an analysis piece on the Duffster man. Fascinating take. Worth a read.

23. willedav said, on June 29, 2015 at 7:45 pm

Thinking of the weather thing, Giants have a bunch of players who grew up in south: Hudson Cain Peavy Bum Posey Belt, plus Panik is from upstate NY so no stranger to heat and humidity.
    Pagan Arias and a number of guys in pen are from carib/latin am countries, so doubt it bugs them either.

Only ? about Susac I can see is whether his D behind the plate is ml level.
    Obviously more he works with SPs and gets in tune with them the better. Having Decker around should help too.

Sherps not having much better time in Oaktown than they did in SF—down 4-0 early.

24. ewisco said, on June 29, 2015 at 7:47 pm

so i’m watching the A’s game (sue me) and they show a shot of the home plate umpire wiping out the back line of the batter’s box. and i’ve been wondering for a while, why do they allow the batters to come up and wipe out the back line with their cleats? isn’t it there for a reason? are there other lines/bounderies that you’re allowed to flaunt? and now the freaking UMPIRE is wiping it out!! i don’t get it. never got it. and yet, no one talks about it.

• zumiee said, on June 29, 2015 at 8:42 pm

25. pawliekokonuts said, on June 29, 2015 at 9:30 pm

Dodgers’ 4-0 lead evaporates. Tied, 6-6.

26. unca_chuck said, on June 29, 2015 at 9:33 pm

Twin I don’t think the Niners are in as dire straits as people are making it out to be. Offensively there’s no way but up. Plus the team got younger and faster.

27. pawliekokonuts said, on June 29, 2015 at 10:31 pm

LAD loses.

• Paul Sorensen said, on June 29, 2015 at 10:35 pm

Damn, Pawlie, you’re up late, way to bring home the LA loss… ๐Ÿ™‚

• Macdog said, on June 29, 2015 at 10:37 pm

Yeah, nice comeback win for D-Backs, who lit up Bums’ bullpen for 10 (!) runs.

• pawliekokonuts said, on June 29, 2015 at 10:38 pm

East Coasters, unite; we have nothing to lose but our time zones.