A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Big Game For Big Time Timmy Jim Jim

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on June 27, 2015

I simply refuse to believe that Jake Peavy gets to slide neatly into the rotation if he continues to suck shit in the minor leagues. I don’t buy that “results don’t matter, how he feels the next day does” bullshit.

Look, if you aren’t missing bats in Triple A it’s likely you won’t be missing them at this level. Peavy got blasted again yesterday and frankly, when was the last time this guy had a good start? Maybe the end of the regular season last year?

If Timmy has a good start today (I know, I know) I’d like to believe he still keeps a spot somehow with Hudson, who seems to be at the end of the road, hitting the DL with “old man syndrome” or something less life threatening and Cain rejoining the rotation when he’s ready…..

1. unca_chuck said, on June 27, 2015 at 8:02 am

Hopefully at home, TJ can put together 6 innings. Huddy didn’t pitch too bad, but ended up allowing 5 after Javy gurgled up the tie.

All these guys not named Heston or Bummie are not going deep enough. Even Cain going 6+ consistently would be a big help.

2. willedav said, on June 27, 2015 at 8:35 am

I’ll disagree Flav. No one on rehab throws no hit innings vs. AAA guys. In Vegas it was 110 and he’s in a hitters yard. Imo it’s about building arm strength and getting rhythm back.
    report was he settled down after rough first and threw well through 6.
    Peavy, like every other Giants SP not named Bum, did not finish playoffs well BUT—threw well enough reg season.

Sabes bid for the big $$$ guys didn’t pan out and Peavy logical gamble signing of second tier FA.
    Giants rotation sure is in odd place–first they didn’t have enough SPs, now too many.

Any reason Affeldt not replaced by Okert? Insurance runs given up by Funky Broadway (Wilson pickett and Muscle Shoals music all time favs of mine) sure didn’t help last night.

• Flavor said, on June 27, 2015 at 8:54 am

That’s fair. And the reality is, as Chuck alluded to, anyone not named Bum or Hest-by-Hest is a total crapshoot right now

• Bozo said, on June 27, 2015 at 9:52 am

Willie, I read somewhere that the Giants didn’t feel Okert was ready (10 runs in his last 11 innings will give a team pause), so with Mac Williamson, they moved lefty Josh Osich from Richmond to Sacto.

3. Paul Sorensen said, on June 27, 2015 at 9:07 am

Peavy is done. Stupid signing by Sabean before he handed the keys to Evans. Obviously stupid for this year, considering it’s almost July and Jake hasn’t thrown a pitch, but next year at inflated salary? Stupid. I will be completely amazed if Peavy does anything remotely productive, and will gladly eat my hat if he does. Even if I don’t wear hats. He wanted to go to Chicago with his buddy Lester. Said so during the playoffs. Chicago didn’t want him. Good call. And I worship Sabean at the altar of GMs, but stupid. Ok, sorry, done. The pitching is a mess, the hitting is inconsistent, and too many needed players are injured. Looks like a bad penny year. But… it’s NOT. This team will pull it together and make the playoffs. Just not with what the team currently looks like. I’m looking forward to some changes. Um.. there had better be some changes…

• Lurker John said, on June 27, 2015 at 11:10 am

I agree, Paul. One year, maybe, but two? Yikes.

4. Carstie Clausen said, on June 27, 2015 at 9:16 am

Said it here at least twice already and now i’m harping on it. Hudson is a damned good starter ~~ for five innings. Look up the stats on him this season. Bochy is old-school conservative, but Tampa and K.C. have a very interesting formula which appears to work when they pull their starters before the other team gets as third look. Not pushing the idea throughout the Rotation, but Hudson needs it. He gets five and no more jive. Unfortunately the bullpen is springing leaks right now. Perhaps its time to call up Crick ~ who gives up walks but precious few hits ~ and make him into a 2-3 inning pitcher. Petit ain’t getting it done and who knows what happened with Affeldt.

Sabes and Evans as well as BB15 need to do some creative thinking about how to rescue the pitching staff. I keep pointing out that Hudson is good ~ through five. That’s the starting point.

• ewisco said, on June 27, 2015 at 9:40 am

I think you could put BTTJJ (see title) in that category as well. if he gets off to a good start, it’s all good until it suddenly goes bad. after the BZ experience, you’d think BB would have learned this lesson.

• Paul Sorensen said, on June 27, 2015 at 9:44 am

Yeah, Stix, a new approach as you describe might be needed, considering the current rotation consists of a bunch of 5-inning pitchers, and yeah, the bullpen has sprung some leaks, which sort of negates the strategy of having a bunch of 5-inning pitchers, even if they went to a 6-man rotation. But I don’t think the ‘pen will continue to struggle, so it comes down to the starters. A team going to the playoffs should not have so many questions about the starting rotation. It’s been the marrow in the bones of these Giants championship teams. Sabevans need to figure out if having the current crop of question marks is the way to go, or do they shake things up. Sometimes, looking ahead, you gotta shake things up. They’ve done it before… I think they’re going to have to do it again.

• snarkk said, on June 27, 2015 at 9:46 am

I think the Pen is going to be in deep do-do come August if the pitchers continue to provide less than 6 inning starts. Affeldt needs to also hit the DL, and bring up an arm from Sac…

5. snarkk said, on June 27, 2015 at 9:42 am

Peavy’s done nothing this season to signal that he’s going to do well. It will be a surprise it he DOES come back and steadily throw a good 6 every outing. Throw a blanket over Peavy, Timmeh, Huddy, and Voggy, and they’re all a similar pogo stick start. No guarantee with Cain either. I heard on the radio the other day that Cain still has pain, but is gutting it out. Luckily the West has nobody that can put a good month’s streak together so far. And, thank Keereist the Doghairs have a doofus manager…

6. snarkk said, on June 27, 2015 at 9:44 am

If Pagan’s hurt, then the total lack of passable OFers below in the organization takes even more of a focus…

7. Macdog said, on June 27, 2015 at 9:45 am

Bumgarner and Heston
    The rest we can jettison.

8. James said, on June 27, 2015 at 9:46 am

I am always curious about why anyone would describe a player or team’s performance as “inconsistent” when it’s objectively clear that said player or team is in fact performing well. The Giants’ offense has done a very good job this year. It has not been more “consistent” or “inconsistent” than any of the other better offensive teams in the league. Here are the stats for the number of games SF has been held to < 3 runs this year compared to the Dodgers:

LA – 320 runs scored

Shutout — 6 games
    1 run — 11 games
    2 runs — 12 games

SF – 316 runs scored

Shutout — 7 games
    1 run — 5 games
    2 runs — 12 games

9. Bozo said, on June 27, 2015 at 9:58 am

They are talking about possibly pushing Mac Williamson up. After 3 AB in AAA, I’d say he’s ready.
    Also, Cody Ross is available and could be had for the league minimum (still on AZ’s payroll). Either move would mean a 40 man roster move, Juan Perez is playing like shit, so that would be my pick.

10. alleykat69 said, on June 27, 2015 at 10:06 am

Agree with Stix,Hudson is a 5 and done pitcher. It was obvious to me even though he miraculously got thru 5 innings ( allowing 7 hits?) he was laboring then not only letting him cough up the lead in the 6th on a HR that still hasn’t landed. He starts the 7 th?Gives up 10 hits total 5 runs, with no help from Lopez, but WTF was he still in there for?

11. Paul Sorensen said, on June 27, 2015 at 10:07 am

“I am always curious about why anyone would describe a player or team’s performance as “inconsistent” when it’s objectively clear that said player or team is in fact performing well.” Ok… Definition of inconsistent: “Not staying the same throughout”. Statistically, overall, year to date, the G’s offense looks good. I was simply commenting that it was inconsistent. Such as, dominating some teams like LA, and laying down for others like the Rox. I suppose there are actually very few teams that are steadily consistent. But “to date” overall stats do not address consistency or inconsistency along the way, they just show a congregate tally. That’s why “anyone” describes the offense as inconsistent when it is. Oddly, James, as I think you would agree, that’s not the biggest problem here, which was the main point of my previous post.

12. Macdog said, on June 27, 2015 at 10:11 am

Right when the Dodgers are in South Beach, now Stanton is out 4-6 weeks with a ‘Sandoval’ — broken hamate bone in left hand. Then again, the Giants play at Miami next week.

13. alleykat69 said, on June 27, 2015 at 11:16 am

Consistently in a player is always subjective.
    Take Giggles, he’s always consistent ,giving us an automatic double play to kill rallies, while the more consistent player starts the rally not ends it.

14. unca_chuck said, on June 27, 2015 at 11:17 am

James that’s like saying players aren’t hot or cold. If you win one game 11-0 and lose the next five 1-0. Who’s the culprit?

Statistically the offense looks fine and the pitchers are 1-5. Stats don’t tell the whole tale.

• James said, on June 27, 2015 at 11:41 am

Chuck, you’ve used this example a few times before. It has no bearing on a 162 game season, although if you want to extrapolate, how do you think this team would fare over a season or even a half a season, if they gave up 5 runs and scored 11 per six games played? Would their collective lack of character or whatever flaw that can’t be quantified they have doom them to a 32-130 record?

15. James said, on June 27, 2015 at 11:22 am

Paul, yes, the pitching is crap and in my book gets the entire blame, if that’s the way to put it, as to why the team doesn’t have 44 wins instead of 40. My simple point is that the adjective “inconsistent” has no descriptive power in this context. It explains nothing about why the team is 40-35 right now. How a teams’ runs scored are distributed over 75 or 162 games is out of the control of any individual or team. You might wish for the offense to be better than “good,”, i.e., with the same pitching stats, the team had scored 20 more runs, putting them over in a few of the games against bottom feeders. But given the park SF plays in and the performance of Panik, Crawford, the team rankings in runs scored, OPS etc., it seems far more reasonable to expect that a small handful of the 5-2 or 6-1 losses were 2-1 or 1-0 wins instead.

16. snarkk said, on June 27, 2015 at 12:49 pm

I basically never heard of Heston before he was brought up. The guy was AAA roster filler fodder, crap, the guy is 27, so supposedly at that age in AAA, you’re nowhere. Now, he’s thrown a no-no, and has been the second best starter on the squad. Bring up another younger guy from AA or AAA as a starter if Peavy and Cain falter. The guy could grow into the job, or at least fool a few teams for a few starts. The Giants seem to always be facing some dude just up from AAA, and they crash/burn against the no-name. Giants need to look past the contracts if Peavy and Cain crater, and maybe find another Heston…

• Carstie Clausen said, on June 27, 2015 at 1:03 pm

Names in the pipeline keep changing. For his first couple years with the organization Joe Biagini, a Bay Area product, was doing pretty much horseshit. But he kept moving up the ladder. Last season at San Jose, he was mediocre okay with an ERA just a tad above 4.0. Somebody must have seen something. This spring he got the AA nod for Richmond. He far and away leads the staff with an ERA in the 1.90’s. His last start was not so great ~ against the Twins’ prospect laden New Britain team ~ and bumped the ERA up from the 1.50’s. In any event this is another prospect nobody thought was a prospect ~~ until some keen observer/s had a hunch. Now he is one. Might even be that improbable callup. Longman.

17. snarkk said, on June 27, 2015 at 12:53 pm

Giants are consistent.
    They’ve been the worst home-field run producer in the NL pretty much all season…

18. Flavor said, on June 27, 2015 at 12:54 pm

watching the Lincecum interviewing Bruce Lee spot on CSN—so epic

19. Carstie Clausen said, on June 27, 2015 at 12:57 pm

Pitching help may be on the way…….in three or four years. Giants just signed first rounder Phil Bickford at $2.3M+, or right around slot. Looks like all their major draft picks are on board now.

20. Macdog said, on June 27, 2015 at 1:19 pm

Nice fucking start, Timmy.

21. James said, on June 27, 2015 at 1:21 pm

It’s probably irrelevant for this game, but a player like Arenado, with his 320 OBP, should see very few pitches in the strike zone.

• alleykat69 said, on June 27, 2015 at 1:28 pm

Tell that to Timmy, James
      As Arenado smokes a double for a RBI..

• James said, on June 27, 2015 at 1:36 pm

He’s walked 13 times in nearly 300 PAs, and swings from the heels. Makes no sense to throw him strikes.

22. snarkk said, on June 27, 2015 at 1:35 pm

Not sure how Lincecum can work in the pen, since when he comes on he has no control, and can’t keep runners close at first…

• Lisle Ellis said, on June 27, 2015 at 1:48 pm

But wasn’t he of genius status working from the pen in ’12?

23. Lisle Ellis said, on June 27, 2015 at 1:39 pm

Just a brief comment about Okert … saw him pitch the other nite and feel he is close to being ready … He gave up the obligatory homer to a no bat, no nothin dude but it was relatively inconsequential as Sacto had the game well in hand at that point … I sense he needs very few adjustments to rectify that, and he will fit right in … 😦

24. alleykat69 said, on June 27, 2015 at 1:44 pm

Man that one was smoked off of Lincecum’s right elbow, has DL potential now.
    Any consolation he gets a bizarre 1-4-2 assist for the out at home..

25. Flavor said, on June 27, 2015 at 1:46 pm

Blessing in disguise that Timmy got hit. He was probably get pulled though anyway shortly. He had nothing today. Nada. Time for him to disappear to the same place he did in the playoffs last year…….

26. Lurker John said, on June 27, 2015 at 2:05 pm

They need to come back and beat these bastards. Jesus, the Rockies? Timmy may be off to the DL.

27. James said, on June 27, 2015 at 2:07 pm

Petit is a gopher ball specialist, which is why he’ll never be that good, but everything else about him makes (and has made) him a logical choice as a starter. His WHIP is lower than any of the current starters except Bum. I’m betting he’d be as useful as Heston in that role.

28. Lisle Ellis said, on June 27, 2015 at 2:15 pm

I humbly submit a suggestion: maybe Zum can find a nice ‘Carmen Miranda leading a conga line’ clip … sorry Flav, I know your not crazy about the clutter but it may serve as a nice talisman for a rally … help to get our hoodoo the voodoo on …

29. Lisle Ellis said, on June 27, 2015 at 2:46 pm

Max-ill 😦

30. unca_chuck said, on June 27, 2015 at 2:48 pm

On e again we fail at holding the tie. Then waste a lead off double.

31. unca_chuck said, on June 27, 2015 at 2:49 pm

Beyond that, huge kudos to my oldest daughter for scoring me a ticket to the Dead show tonight.

32. Macdog said, on June 27, 2015 at 3:21 pm

Get rid of that fucking bum already!

33. Lisle Ellis said, on June 27, 2015 at 3:22 pm

McDipshit … I’m gonna puke …

34. eddacker said, on June 27, 2015 at 3:27 pm

How bout that Lincecum consistency? He took up pitching exactly where he left off last time out. I just burst into laughter. Is Casey Mc a comedy act Sabean hired to let us laugh at the strangeness of this game? FUCK. could anything be more consistent than his hitting all season long?

I think I am not used to seeing this team play a game where the lead goes back and forth with many runs scored on both sides. It takes some getting used to.

35. snarkk said, on June 27, 2015 at 3:37 pm

I was driving in the car with the older Snarkkette after picking her up from working at her horse barn.
    Bochy pulls back Arias from the on deck and puts in McDP to PH with 2 on, 1 out. WTF? At that moment, I cried No NO NOOO! The Snarkette says, “what’s wrong?”.
    I say, this dude is going to hit into a double play, that’s what’s wrong — I’d rather he just strike out right now and go to the next hitter.
    We know the rest.
    I’m convinced that McDP has photos of a naked Sabes and Bochy with farm animals. There is no other explanation for continuing to play this guy and expect something other than a ridiculous horseshit performance …

• Lisle Ellis said, on June 27, 2015 at 3:55 pm

OMG Snark! I just pissed myself … many, many thanks, I truly needed that today … haven’t laughed so hard since I cannot remember when!

36. snarkk said, on June 27, 2015 at 3:46 pm

Gyros have a great excuse now to put Timmeh on the DL. He’s had nothin’ his last few outings. Maybe he could go up to Seattle and regroup with Pops. Huddy onto the DL, too. Peavy and Cain can pop in, see if anything works. Maybe one of the two will perform, I’m hoping, anyway…

37. Lisle Ellis said, on June 27, 2015 at 3:49 pm

THE DUFFMAN!!! … I rest my case.

38. Macdog said, on June 27, 2015 at 3:49 pm

Suuuu-weet!

39. Bozo said, on June 27, 2015 at 3:50 pm

40. Lisle Ellis said, on June 27, 2015 at 3:51 pm

Fuckin A … damn I love/hate baseball!

41. snarkk said, on June 27, 2015 at 3:53 pm

Just coincidence that Posey has started to warm up at the plate and with power since basically playing 1b, not catching? I think not…

42. Macdog said, on June 27, 2015 at 3:57 pm

Kershaw has already lost to the Fish . . . C’mon Giants!

43. snarkk said, on June 27, 2015 at 4:01 pm

DFA McDP (again). Pleeeezzzzz.
    Bring up Mac Williamson. It’s got to be near impossible for him to be worse at the plate than McDP…

44. Lisle Ellis said, on June 27, 2015 at 4:02 pm

Bullies better lock it down or I’m goin postal …

45. Bozo said, on June 27, 2015 at 4:06 pm

Romo sawing off bats. Romo, sawing off bats?

46. snarkk said, on June 27, 2015 at 4:08 pm

Putting McDP in to PH with men on and less than 2 down has a vibe like a mohel carrying a knife into a room full of adult male converts…

• Lisle Ellis said, on June 27, 2015 at 4:16 pm

Dude … you made me burst my colostomy bag … I’m sendin you my laundry bill!

• snarkk said, on June 27, 2015 at 4:20 pm

Sorry, send the bill to Nipper.
        I checked — my homeowner’s coverage excludes liability for joke-caused colostomy rupture…

• Carstie Clausen said, on June 27, 2015 at 10:36 pm

Keeping McGDP on the roster for the rest of the season would be tantamount to the Mohel needing to perform bris millah after the salami slicing.

47. snarkk said, on June 27, 2015 at 4:14 pm

Susac starting to hit, too, since getting regular work.
    There’s no substitute for getting regular playing time to get you sharp (well, maybe not for McDP)…

48. Bozo said, on June 27, 2015 at 4:17 pm

Hey Arias, thanks for stopping by.

49. Flavor said, on June 27, 2015 at 4:29 pm

Krukow: (about Tulo) “He WILL guess in these situations…”
    How the fuck does Krukow know what Tulo is thinking? Unless Tulo told him that once. I would guess though, that Kruk has never spoken to Tulo

• Macdog said, on June 27, 2015 at 4:30 pm

Yeah, he guessed it right to Crawford.

• snarkk said, on June 27, 2015 at 4:57 pm

Same way Kruk “knows” what the various umps have for a strike zone — he pulls it out of his ____ 😉

50. Flavor said, on June 27, 2015 at 4:32 pm

very nice win

51. Bozo said, on June 27, 2015 at 4:32 pm

Win.

52. snarkk said, on June 27, 2015 at 4:39 pm

Love these come from behind wins.
    Scoring runs is a lot of fun.
    ATT is a decent hitting park when the weather warms…

53. Lisle Ellis said, on June 27, 2015 at 4:48 pm

Just heard Duffster being interviewed by Flem. He gave credit to Posey for some mid-game sage advice which helped him mental approach. Gotta say this kid is so impressive in every aspect of the game. He was very articulate and literally doled out none of the usual cliche ridden spiel. Felt he was speaking frankly and from his heart.

54. snarkk said, on June 27, 2015 at 5:57 pm

Yeah, I just saw that Tim “interview” of Bruce Lee. Weird, but cool. Tim definitely carried it off well. Wish he were pitching as well as he cruised that interview…

55. Lurker John said, on June 27, 2015 at 6:22 pm

Agree, Lisle, Duffy has Major Leagues written all over him. His approach at the plate, he never gets too high or low and the kid can flat out hit. There’s talent there that doesn’t seem to get talked about very much. He has very quick hands through the zone, a knack for squaring pitches up and good skills going the other way.

It’s easy to forget that he weighs a buck-seventy, but he’s got plenty of pop. He can play multiple positions. At the end of the day, the guy is just a good baseball player. He’s turning out to be a great draft pick.

Great win!

• Lisle Ellis said, on June 27, 2015 at 6:37 pm

Am I correct in understanding he came straight from AA, bypassing AAA? I don’t recall him ever making an appearance here in Fresno last year …but maybe I’m having a senior moment 🙂

• Lurker John said, on June 27, 2015 at 9:13 pm

I believe he did, straight from Richmond last June or July I think.

56. snarkk said, on June 27, 2015 at 7:01 pm

A guy from Sac calling into Marty Lurie has said he’s seen several of Peavy’s starts, and they haven’t been pretty. Very hittable. We shall see, but doesn’t sound promising…

• Flavor said, on June 27, 2015 at 7:23 pm

He’s had 7 starts, right? How much arm strength can the dude be building? Shouldn’t it have already “built” by now?

• snarkk said, on June 27, 2015 at 7:42 pm

Giants gotta see if that $13 million or whatever they’re paying this year can be salvaged. If it can’t, it can’t, and move on. Giants can’t seem to just accept sometimes that something doesn’t work until absolutely there is no other choice (Tejada insubordination, Rohand suckage late in 4th season of his deal, now McDP). I hope Peavy get’s a second wind, but if he craters, let’s DL him again and move onto somebody young, or do a trade…

57. sandog said, on June 27, 2015 at 8:55 pm

Ok, I just found the Lincecum/Bruce Lee deal on YouTube, and I think its absolutely hilarious. I totally get it that it’s a little hard to appreciate light-hearted stuff like that while he’s getting shelled these days, but that sketch is well done in my book. I’d put it right up there with the Steph Curry “Curry Chicken” bit on ESPN—and that is high praise coming from me.

• willedav said, on June 27, 2015 at 9:34 pm

Um, going to the other end of the spectrum of absolutely hilarious, what is up with the Kings?

58. willedav said, on June 27, 2015 at 9:44 pm

Cain and Peavy could (maybe should) have been here this weekend.
    My guess is Bochy wanted one more home start (optimum conditions, obviously) for Lincecum and Hudson, tho neither exactly worked out.
    Y’all gotta chill before you actually see them pitch…it’s kind of like all the dread you dream up before going to the dentist. You get the shot, he goes to work, and then (eventually) you feel better, and your relieved.

I think out of all of the SPs Giants should be able to come up with at least 3-4 decent ones and the offense has been scoring runs even at home, and a lot of different guys are contributing

. Altho I will say I was thinking exact same thing as what Flav said earlier, about Lincecum injury being a blessing in disguise. As a blogger said a year ago about Andre Ethier, “$18 mil just doesn’t get you what it used to.”

59. willedav said, on June 27, 2015 at 10:22 pm

All due respect, there really isn’t any way for any of us here to know if one of the SPs beside Bum or Heston is done. Any or all of the above could very well be done as of this minute, but at least a couple of them need to be seen in Giants uniform before any of that can be decided.

Hey, I’ve been first in line to be a pallbearer at demise of Vogs for at least 3 years if not more.
    But he continues to re-establish he can still get guys out and collect Ws. I don’t know how, but it happens.

I actually did see the late Paul Bearer in action some years ago at the Cow Palace. In company of a buddy of mine who was huge wrestling fan, along with my godson his little brother and their step dad, final match of night was Undertaker vs. Sid Vicious (couple very large and powerful men). They had wheeled a silver casket ringside and eventually Sid pins the U and despite protestations of Mr. Bearer and his urn throws him into the casket and slams the lid shut…and of course minute or so later it opens and U pops up, show’s over.

• Paul Sorensen said, on June 27, 2015 at 10:30 pm

Yes, you’re right, Willie; I said I think Peavy is done, but of course I don’t know that, it’s just a sense of it at this point. I liked him as a Giant last year, and also wouldn’t have minded a 1-year deal for this year, but I just don’t think it’s going to pay off for the G’s. Hope I’m wrong, we shall see.

60. twinfan1 said, on June 27, 2015 at 10:37 pm

As much we’re lucky to have Panik, Duffy, Susac, Heston to root for and revel in their success, they are lucky to have entered a clubhouse populated by ball players who know how to win and how to comport themselves win *or* lose. Posey and Crawford and Belt, MadBum and Timmy, Casilla and Affeldt on down to Ishi, Machi, Arias; these “kids” have great role models and behave like role models themselves. Someone said that there are no moral victories. Of course there are – in sports and in “real life”, it’s a moral victory to know you tried your best and fought back even if victory was not to come *now*.. Last night’s loss was partly responsible for today’s win, IMO. To come within a few inches of a win that was against all odds didn’t make the guys hang their heads, it showed once again that they didn’t lose- they just ran out of time 😉

• djloo27 said, on June 27, 2015 at 10:52 pm

• twinfan1 said, on June 27, 2015 at 10:52 pm

BTW, Peavy had the one terrible inning in 110 degree heat. Other that inning, has given up 5 runs in his last 18 innings in his rehab time.
      Plus he’s showed some stamina going 6,7.and 6 in his last 3 starts. Depending on how his arm responds, I’d say that it was a successful rehab.
      Whether it carries over up here, we’ll soon find out.

• Paul Sorensen said, on June 27, 2015 at 10:55 pm

Agree, Michael, that’s definitely what makes this team special, win or lose…. they know how to win. When you read Susac’s quotes post-game, about having Buster as a mentor; what a thrill it must be for him. Good for him, good for Buster, good for the team….

61. Carstie Clausen said, on June 27, 2015 at 10:59 pm

Funny turn of events. Few years back Giants were noted for developing top flight young starters. 2010 was the hallmark of that and the last couple of even years have been solid reflections. At that time position player development included just enough home-grown talent to seal the deal. Now a reversal seems to be in play with Andy Susac’s coming out party as he keys the Saturday rally with that devastating 3-run double. He was nearly matched by Dufftoff, going one up on fellow kid infield sensation Joe Panik in the tortoise dinger division. Seven up just before midseason could project nicely to 15 on the year for Pandamonium gone down east to Beansville.

BB15 is ready to make Susac the regular catcher, setting in Blaster the cleanup commander etched in at first base. Belt in LF sounds like an audition for those tradewinds. Dave Kingman potential there after some team out there puts out one helluva package for one of the highest OPS in the NL. BB9 might welcome a move to some venue where 30 taters should = one can of corn in somebody’s field of dreams. Forty might be more likely than a mere 20 four-baggers in a few bandboxes i could mention.

So now the Giants have transmogrified from sputzing out starters to harvesting hitters. Keep an eye on Joe Biagini, though. SF has a track record of the suddenly ready for The Show transfers directly from opening eyes at Richmond. Sabevans will be keeping that possibility in the hopper as they evaluate no fewer than 5 uncertain starters between now and the Break. Three young bats over the past couple seasons give them a bit of maneuvering room in the process as we sit at 4 games from midseason.

62. willedav said, on June 28, 2015 at 8:46 am

Twin’s right there is something special about Giants culture, players (with rings) and coaching staff.
    Miller on radio post game made comment about Duffy crediting Posey telling him to relax and play his game after the kid had struck out a few times and GIDP hitting 3rd slot. Seemed to be pressing so Posey said something to him and kid responded yesterday.

Winning teams are different, from top to bottom. Hope this helps new guys like Heston the SP and also Maxwell settle down and be more productive until Giants OF gets healthier.

63. sandog said, on June 28, 2015 at 10:04 am

@Willie: Kings dysfunction is out of control. I already thought firing Michael Malone was a big mistake. Now, I think it was a colossal blunder. if Karl does want DeMarcus around, then Karl needs to go—which would look terrible. We’ll see how this plays out, but Karl needs to get on the same page as DeMarcus or take a hike. This is a superstars league. Trading Cousins to the Lakers would be an incredible kick in the gut for all Kings fans.
    On the positive side, I think Willie Cauley-Stein can be a good fit for the Kings. I would rather they had taken Winslow from Duke, but I can live with Stein. I think the Suns made a great pick getting Devin Booker from Kentucky at 13 by the way.

• xoot said, on June 28, 2015 at 1:19 pm

Klay Thompson-like? Booker was terrific for the Cats.

64. sandog said, on June 28, 2015 at 10:09 am

There was a wrestler who went by the handle “Paul Bearer?” That’s awesome. I’ll put that right up there with the Great Mephisto. Doing his thing in the Cow Palace with Willie in the house only makes it better.

If the over/under on Peavy or Cain wins the rest of the year was 10, I’d take a long look at the under…

• willedav said, on June 28, 2015 at 10:35 am

Nah SD, he was the pasty faced mgr. of the Undertaker…can’t remember his real name but he died a couple years ago. I distinctly remember Tolbert on radio having a wrestling conversation with Mark Jackson around this time about some other heroes of theirs.
      Btw, roller derby legend Ann Calvello was in the house that night very near us. Beautiful gal, in bright (and not a lot of) clothing she was hard to miss.
      My mom loved RD and used to watch a lot of it on weekends. So Cal boxing announcer Jimmy Lennon used to some of PA stuff; all morning I’ve been trying to think of SoCal guy who used to do commentary.

• ewisco said, on June 28, 2015 at 11:38 am

i used to love RD too. Joanie weston, ann etc. of course we only got 6 stations so you learned to love weird things.

• willedav said, on June 28, 2015 at 10:41 am

Jimmy Lennon was great introducing all the Mexican fighters on Boxing from the Olympic I used to watch back in 60s/70s.
      “From Culiacan Jalisco Mexico, at 133 lbs. fighting out of the red corner in the white trunks…
      ho-SAY Looo-EEEES Val do VEEEEEEEE nos !”

65. djloo27 said, on June 28, 2015 at 10:26 am

Waiting for the official Lincecum DL announcement.
    I like Bochy’s committment to Susac. Should be great for Posey and Belt’s gonna have to do what’s necessary.
    If it weakens the defense a little so be it.

66. snarkk said, on June 28, 2015 at 1:13 pm

Robbie Cano got hit in the head yesterday in the dugout from a thrown ball during the opposition’s infield warm ups or something. WTF is going on with guys getting hit in the head with thrown balls?…

67. snarkk said, on June 28, 2015 at 1:15 pm

WTF — another homer off Bum?
    Why don’t they just walk this Arenado dude, he’s turning into a mile-high Goldschmidt…

68. xoot said, on June 28, 2015 at 1:48 pm

Wound up at a San Jose Giants came last night. 3,500+ there Much fun. SP Chase Johnson had good movement on a consistent 92+ mph FB (by the milb gun, anyway) and pretty sharp control. 1 run through 6.1, 98 pitches. The other two top 2013 picks Ryder Jones and Christian Arroyo looked ok on the left side of the IF. But the real interest focused on the Latinos–lean Daniel Carbonell, the Giants’ only Cuban, just demoted from AA; and corpulent Angel Villalona, the Giants’ odd albatross, just promoted from the Dominican summer league.

Carbonell misplayed a LD, but otherwise looked like the best athlete on the field. He hit a bomb in the 4th and from the LF corner gunned down a guy at 2B with a long strike that never got more than 5 feet above the ground. Yet his batting numbers at Richmond were horrible. And Villalona was something to see, after all those years he spent on the 40. He looks like a huge fat nimble child. The Modesto Nuts pitcher didn’t throw a curve until cleanup hitter Angel came to bat. They had a plan for Villalona however; he saw almost nothing but slow curves all night and did nothing with them. He finally got lucky, went deep into a count, and ripped a FB through the 3.5 hole for a clean hit. He played a decent 1B and hustled like hell, constantly. What a long strange trip he’s had, and it ain’t over yet.

• xoot said, on June 28, 2015 at 1:50 pm

sorry, the 5.5 hole

• snarkk said, on June 28, 2015 at 1:57 pm

NIce report.
      Sounds like Villalona will never see the big club, at least with the Giants. Carbonell won’t either, demotion in the minors isn’t a great imprimatur by the powers that be…

69. snarkk said, on June 28, 2015 at 1:58 pm

Duffman now with .470 SLG…

• snarkk said, on June 28, 2015 at 1:58 pm

Well, strike that, he just got a double down the RF line. Probably .472 now…

70. alleykat69 said, on June 28, 2015 at 2:05 pm

Money hit by Posey with 2 outs!!
    Like the K&K team said:1st base open you don’t have to pitch to him.

71. alleykat69 said, on June 28, 2015 at 2:11 pm

Phil Bickford will never need to use a razor that’s for sure.
    Party on Spicoli..

72. snarkk said, on June 28, 2015 at 2:29 pm

There’s no denying now that Posey’s breakout hitting has to be related somehow to playing more at 1b, and less catching. On Lurie’s radio show today, his stat guy gave career splits for Posey at 1b and catcher, the higher stats for playing 1b are striking. Just over 50 points in BA. That’s hellaciously better, with a career sample size. He’s behind the dish today, but there’s more 1b to come for sure on the roadie, Belt is gearing up for more LF. Now that Duffy looks like the real deal at 3b, this raises all sorts of long-term transition issues. Posey at 3b would be a huge plus to the offense, IMO, once Susac gets it together as catcher. Duffy could play LF, Belt back to 1b, and the defense is tied up better that way. Duffy could certainly play LF with his athleticism. I said early this would be a transition year, and it’s definitely looking more that way all the time…

73. alleykat69 said, on June 28, 2015 at 2:45 pm

Yeah that’s an amazing difference in batting production Snarkk.
    And yes the transition to 1st even though Posey still is adamant about catching, really needs to take place.
    With Susac maturing every game he plays, and Duffy more then capable at 3rd, really only Belt will have the hardest adjustment.
    But who cares, sacarfice some D, for a lot more offensive firepower anyday!
    Of course as soon as I finish this post Blanco makes a great play in left, that Belt would have no chance making😀

• snarkk said, on June 28, 2015 at 2:56 pm

The emergence of Duffy as a real player is a huge deal, like finding a $100 bill under the sofa cushion. Nobody in the Giants org could have predicted this kid could do this, but they get major credit for drafting him. He gives the team a major amount of flexibility for the LU and starting positions going forward, since he can play just about anywhere. When he puts on another 10 pounds and gets stronger, he might be a 15-20 HR a year guy…

• alleykat69 said, on June 28, 2015 at 3:03 pm

Maybe he doesn’t need the extra weight, he seems to torque his body fine on inside pitches, he’ll he might get his 15 jacks this year.
        I’m sure he’s pissing off Panik with their friendly wager right now.

74. ewisco said, on June 28, 2015 at 2:51 pm

Duffy a single away from the cycle!!

• Lisle Ellis said, on June 28, 2015 at 2:55 pm

Oh dear … I was just gonna post … Think It, but please don’t say it … I’m superstitious in the extreme … Oh well, too late now … Go Duffman!!! Go Giants!!!

• Lisle Ellis said, on June 28, 2015 at 2:56 pm

and by the way … I rest my case again (2nd day in a row) for Duffy as MVP to date.

75. dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 28, 2015 at 2:54 pm

With Duffy’s play at 3b I don’t see Posey moving there any tIme soon. Oh look another bomb from Duffy. The kid is making it looks too easy. In the past I thought no way they’d trade Belt but with Aoki in left and Pence in right I think he’ll be moved. Unless Pagan goes to the bench and Aoki to center.

• James said, on June 28, 2015 at 3:17 pm

Dunno, Dirt, Aoki is 33, and he’s hitting about 30 points higher than he usually does over a season. I’ll bet his numbers will be down by the end of Sept. Any trade based specifically on a longer commitment to Aoki would be pretty dubious.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on June 28, 2015 at 3:24 pm

Fair point on Aoki. He has been playing above his head compared to recent seasons. I think returning to the lead off spot has energized him a bit. If they’re going to put Belt in LF then between he, Aoki, Blanco and Pagan something’s got to give. I guess it’s hard to make any move this season unless it is an outfielder or bench depth. We can’t be subjected to McDP and Maxwell all season can we?