Summer Time Dead Zone

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 13, 2015

Thus begins the most boring 4 days of the Summer….

Does the Home Run Derby do anything for ya? It’s an activity that’s more than played itself out over the years. MLB knows this, that’s why they’ve shaken the format up. I don’t know all the details except that there will be brackets and outs don’t get counted but time does. Stuff like that.

If I was in charge, the first thing I do is can Chris Berman. Nothing sounds more exaggerated than an ever-fattening, half soused Berman *Back, Back, Backing” his way into a phony HR call. I think I’d even try going with no announcer. Just a counter that shows the distance of the home run and the total hit during that round.

The HR distance and the sound of the crowd should be enough of a draw. MLB uses juiced balls for this contest, why not juice them up even more? 500+ foot home runs would jazz everyone up–especially since the casual fan doesn’t know they juice the balls.

Those would be the changes I’d make.

You?

1. chipower9 said, on July 13, 2015 at 8:14 am

I agree on the HR derby, Flav. Changes I would make…get Miller and Scully to call the HR derby. Maybe Miller would even mix in a little impersonation of Scully in Japanese for entertainment. HAI!

2. chipower9 said, on July 13, 2015 at 8:18 am

I am looking forward to the game, tho. It would be bad-ass to see Craw and Panik turn one of their beautiful DPs, and Posey to get the game-winning knock on a HR, etc. And while I do not like the format of the winning team setting up the winner of their league to host the World Serious, I do love to see the Senior Circuit kick some Junior Circuit ass (even tho it has happened infrequently of late).

• Lurker John said, on July 13, 2015 at 8:55 am

Chi, I wonder if anyone outside of SF, fans and media I mean, even know how good Craw and Panik are with the leather, not to mention the bats. Best DP combo in baseball, imo.

• xoot said, on July 13, 2015 at 9:03 am

John, one of the best things about that astonishing DP in game 7 last year was the need for replay to get the call at 1B right. The turn at 2B got re-broadcast to a huge national audience half a dozen times or more while the umps huddled. Also, earlier in 2014, Fangraphs posted a great article on SSs, deeming Crawford the best at making the toughest plays, with many gif examples (worth tracking down if you didn’t see it then). I think people know about SF’s IF stars.

• chipower9 said, on July 13, 2015 at 9:08 am

I am with xoot, I think they are on the serious baseball fans’ radars, but really, I do not care. I mean I am happy that Craw and Panik are going to their first AS game, but outside of that, I am just stoked to have such a bad-ass, homegrown middle IF. Well, really, a homegrown IF, period. It is a beautiful thing.

• Lurker John said, on July 13, 2015 at 11:37 am

Well I’m glad to learn that, xoot. That game 7 DP was just that, astonishing. If that didn’t get people’s attention, nothing will.

Of all the WS I’ve seen, I remember Craig Nettles being the most prolific for an entire series. I know there was Belanger before that, but that was mostly before my time. But I’m hard-pressed to think of a simgle play that was more difficult and had more impact in a game of that magnitude and on the road, no less. Panik simply fielding the ball was remarkable, but to get it to Crawford for the turn and for him to complete the play…took the air right out of the Royals and their fans. Keeping the thing on the infield would’ve been a great play.

Chi, I agree, it’s nice to have those guys on our side. The homegrown part may be the best part of all.

3. Carstie Clausen said, on July 13, 2015 at 8:22 am

Baseball has nothing over the NFL when it comes to spectacle. That “sport” is made for television. It is so reminiscent of the latter days of Ancient Rome with its gladiatorial contests complete with wildly gesticulating half-drunken crowds and guys getting carried off the field on stretchers. At least the “gladiators” are only badly injured and not thumbs down dispatched in a grisly ending. Oh well, give it a few years and a deepening corruption in our society and maybe the echoing will be more to the liking of the more quickly sated of the fans.

Baseball contrarily, is not so much spectacle as it is poetry in motion ~ slow motion and far too slow for the many contemporary Americans who have like totally grown up into faux adulthood knowing nothing more than the dubious pleasures of instant gratification. When you consider the geometry of the diamond and the balance between defense and offense and the million and fourteen different nuances and subtleties peculiar to the sport, baseball becomes a multidimensional chess match, an amazing synthesis of ballet at its finest and Herman Hesse’s Glass Bead Game.

Baseball is a spectator sport ~ even if over the radio or the internet. It is not spectacular and closely calculated to guzzle and gorge. Baseball is perhaps the highest emanation of the deepest strains of true American culture. It is NOT a spectacle.

• chipower9 said, on July 13, 2015 at 8:45 am

Absolutely beautiful. Love it, Stix.

• Lurker John said, on July 13, 2015 at 8:59 am

Yup, good stuff, Carstie. I’ve tried to explain the same to others, in far less articualte fashion than you just did, but it usually falls on deaf ears. That doesn’t change the fact that baseball is the best.

• Flavor said, on July 13, 2015 at 2:09 pm

I also added this to POTD-best of. Brilliant.

• chipower9 said, on July 13, 2015 at 9:02 pm

Agreed. One of the all-time best on the Flap, IMO.

4. alleykat69 said, on July 13, 2015 at 8:24 am

The real bummer is the All-Star game goes with the freakin DH!!
    For which Bum says :Fuck that!!

• Carstie Clausen said, on July 13, 2015 at 11:23 am

Too bad Bumgarner can only make a single appearance. If the rules were adjusted just a bit, after his mound appearance Bochy might have had delighted in giving the Carolina farm boy a pinch hitting experience.

5. wilcojoe said, on July 13, 2015 at 8:29 am

I am trying to get more jazzed about the derby and game if only for my oldest (he’s 6)son. He is finally starting to enjoy watching baseball and I explained to him last night what the all star game is all about. We started collecting baseball cards and he digs that. When the fuck did baseball cards get so expensive! It’s like $3 for a pack of 12. He loves numbers and can tell you the number of every starting Astro and most Giants. I never paid attention to uniform numbers. Will Clark was number 22. That’s about all I got.

6. Lurker John said, on July 13, 2015 at 8:53 am

I’ve come to hate the HR derby! And, yes, Berman has a lot to do with it, but not everything. Truth be told, I hardly pay any attention at all to the All Star game three days. Just doesn’t do much for me. Part of me wishes Posey hadn’t made it, so he could spend the 4 days resting his hammy.

P.S. Why ESPN keeps trotting Berman out there is beyond me. Nothing ever changes with the guy and he wore out his welcome years ago. They should put him out to pasture and call it good.

7. chipower9 said, on July 13, 2015 at 8:59 am

Okay Flap Universe, in your book, who is the 1st half MVP for the Giants? Lots of potential guys here. Posey is having a Buster type of year. Panik has been solid. Aoki was on fire before the injury. Craw has really stepped-up. Heston has been a huge stabilizer to the rotation. So, lots of potential choices.

I have to go with Duffy, with an honorable mention to BenHur. Why not BenHur? It is the every 5th day thing for me.

Once the team let Pablo walk, everyone was like “where are they going to make up for Sandoval’s production?”

Here are the side-by-side stat comparison:

Avg: Duffy – .293, Pablo – .259
    OBP: Duffy – .335, Pablo – .307
    SLG: Duffy – .462, Pablo – .384
    OPS: Duffy – .797, Pablo – .691
    HR: Duffy – 8, Pablo – 5
    RBI: Duffy – 41, Pablo – 30
    FP: Duffy – .964, Pablo – .943
    Errors: Duffy – 6, Pablo – 10.

Duffy beats Pablo in EVERY category, both offense and D.

And then there is the salary:

Duffy: $509k and he hasn’t even had his first year of arbitration.

Pablo: $19 mil per on a five year deal.

• Lurker John said, on July 13, 2015 at 9:07 am

A difficult choice, but I would go with Duffy as well. He plugged a glaring hole not only in the lineup but at third. When Sandoval left and the disaster that was McDP emerged, the Giants would’ve been in dire straits if the Duffster hadn’t stepped up, and he has in a big way. Pence was gone for two months and someone needed to pick up the offensive slack. Craw and Duffy have both done that, but I’d go with Duffy as the first half MVP.

But, jeez, it’s hard not to give Panik and Posey some serious consideration, too. Both have been phenomenal. Posey is having a career year and flippin’ Panik is a line-drive hitting machine. Maybe Dick Tidrow should be the MVP!

• chipower9 said, on July 13, 2015 at 9:09 am

You almost have to expect it of Posey. That is probably not fair to him, but it is what it is. Duffy was NOT on anyone’s radar, and as you said, he stepped-in and plugged a huge hole for the team, and has done an amazing job in doing so. Panik and Craw should get some love there, too. And Aoki, too.

• Carstie Clausen said, on July 13, 2015 at 11:26 am

Tidrow and the entire scouting and development staff would be a good call.

• chipower9 said, on July 13, 2015 at 9:03 pm

Good call, Stix. And the beer vendors, too!

• wilcojoe said, on July 13, 2015 at 9:11 am

Agree it’s gotta be Duffy.

8. chipower9 said, on July 13, 2015 at 9:03 am

Oh, and by-and-by…Pagan has played in 82 games with 73 left to play.

9. zumiee said, on July 13, 2015 at 9:34 am

Yeah, Berman over-hyping the homerun derby is one of the big problems with it. Another problem is that HRs are hard to capture on TV anyway.
    I don’t understand why MLB had the “futures game” yesterday while the regular season was going on. That could have been done on Wednesday, and would have gotten a lot more attention from baseball fans.

I think I would go with Heston as first half MVP. But there are other good choices, too.

This week is a good one for catching up on TV shows. I just finished the third and final season of “The Newsroom.” The show has a few flaws, but I think it’s a very entertaining, thought-provoking show.
    I started watching a new show: “MR. ROBOT,” about a computer hacker who gets caught up in the middle of big troubling events. The main character himself is flawed and kind of adrift. The show is interesting, has kind of a Blade Runner and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo cinematic look to it, and has scathing moments of social commentary; but without likable characters I’m not sure how well the show will do. Plus, it’s on the USA Network, and I wonder if an audience will find it in time to give it decent ratings.

• Carstie Clausen said, on July 13, 2015 at 11:27 am

Excellent point on the futures game. Baseball still has not become fully savvy to promotion ~ particularly promotions without hype but full of substance.

10. wilcojoe said, on July 13, 2015 at 10:58 am

One change I would like to see is having the game moved to Wed. That would give the pitchers another day of rest and help eliminate situations where guys like Scherzer and Gray can’t pitch. I think it also gives the players another day to experience the pomp and circumstance of the festivites. I really do think these guys enjoy coming, especially the younger guys like Crawford and Panik. This is probably one of the top five moments of their life.

• Flavor said, on July 13, 2015 at 11:05 am

that’s a great idea.
      Hey, had to laugh at your post about #22 this morning. Earlier today, I was at the ATM waiting in line behind some dipshit trying to submit like 20 checks. As I was waiting and doing a slow burn I looked up and on the video cam someone had scrawled #22 on it. I thought of The Thrill and smiled. Then quickly got back to my slow burn.
      But I’m like you, after Will, I don’t really keep track of #’s…..

• Carstie Clausen said, on July 13, 2015 at 11:28 am

Man! Today’s thread is full of excellent observations. Wednesday it should be.

11. unca_chuck said, on July 13, 2015 at 11:25 am

What I’d like to see is the players using aluminum bats, and they replace the BP pitcher with a bazooka firing 110 MPH fastballs. Might as well make it a little more challenging than the cream puff BP shit they get now. Of course they’d have to get rd of the kids chasing balls down . . .

As far as 1/2 season MVP’s, I’d give Heston the nod. He could very easily have 10 wins, and he came out of nowhere to build this success. Without him, I’d think we’d be a distant 3rd right now.

Duffy is fine as well, mainly because, like Heston, he came out of nowhere to be a major contributor, but I think Heston’s impact on the Giants’ record speaks for itself.

12. alleykat69 said, on July 13, 2015 at 11:37 am

I say put some talking sensors in the juiced up baseballs for the HR derby with different phrases,other then hearing Chris Berman’s moron calls over& over again, back,back,back ,gone every freaking year…

13. zumiee said, on July 13, 2015 at 12:09 pm

Berman’s call doesn’t even make sense for the HR Derby. “Back, back, back” is referring to the outfielder going towards the wall. So what does the call mean during the HR Derby? The kids on the field shagging flies? How seriously can you take an event that has kids shagging flies on the field?

• wilcojoe said, on July 13, 2015 at 12:30 pm

So what’s the guess on the first city Berman mentions as a possible destination for a well hit ball? I am going with Dayton as in “that one’s on it’s way to Dayton!”

I cheated as I had to look on a map for nearby suburbs. 😉

• djloo27 said, on July 13, 2015 at 1:57 pm

If I were the parent of any of these kids, I’d take it very seriously.
      I’ll go with Lexington, KY…

• Flavor said, on July 13, 2015 at 2:10 pm

lol, perfect.

14. zumiee said, on July 13, 2015 at 12:12 pm

Meanwhile, as baseball takes a 4-day break from regular season games, ESPN is all about NFL news, and upcoming NFL training camps.

• chipower9 said, on July 13, 2015 at 12:21 pm

zzzzzz….

15. pawliekokonuts said, on July 13, 2015 at 12:26 pm

Bring back “Brains & Brawn,” from the Fifties.

16. Irish Kevin said, on July 13, 2015 at 12:29 pm

For those of you who are Berman haters, you do know he is a Giants Fan? Early in his career he would be the only ESPN guy to talk about the Giants. So yeah I like the guy. Back, back back and all!! Ha ha

• wilcojoe said, on July 13, 2015 at 12:42 pm

Very true. I do enjoy watching him do the NFl pregame on Sunday mornings. He does a decent job with that. I don’t know if he still picks the Niners to win the super bowl every year but that became a regular bit for years…Several years ago I I was having a drink at the Hilton near Minute Maid before an Astros game and I got to talking with the bartender about the numerous sports celebrities that he had served over the years. I still remember him calling Berman a “piece of shit fat fuck” for getting shit faced one night and then taking his “ex” girlfriend bartender up to his room at the end of the night.

• chipower9 said, on July 13, 2015 at 1:12 pm

I have no problem with Berman, tho his HR call during the derby is past old. During the last series at The Stick, my friend and I went down to check-out construction on Pac-Bell. We decided to dash into MoMos for a cold one, and while sitting at the bar we hear someone say “hey look, a couple of Giants fans.” We turn around and there is Berman and Larry “The Lush” Baer. They bought us a round, and we had a couple of picts snapped with them in the doorway to MoMos. Got a chance to chat with them for a few minutes. Berman is one big dude.

17. unca_chuck said, on July 13, 2015 at 1:39 pm

I met Berman years ago (1998 Pro Bowl in Hawaii), and was surprised at that very fact, Kevin. We drank a shitload of beer and talked Giants. Very engaging and nice guy. His schtick does get old, esp the forced nickname shit that he’s sorta backed off of, but that HR call is overdone 6 times over.

One thing I’ll give Kruk and Kuip is they usually rotate schtick out of their broadcasts to keep it from getting repetitive. From what I hear from them, it’s because if something catches on, a sponsor latches an and tries to get them to incorporate it into the broadcast. “This elimination is brought to you Imodium XP.”

18. snarkk said, on July 13, 2015 at 1:51 pm

I’ve no interest in the AS game, and even less, if possible, in the HR thing. I will pay attention to the game outcome only due to it deciding home field in the WS. Hopefully that Bud abomination will end next year…

19. djloo27 said, on July 13, 2015 at 1:59 pm

I wonder how much of the viewing audience even knows the origin of “back, back, back”…

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 13, 2015 at 2:27 pm

Mel Allen?

20. wilcojoe said, on July 13, 2015 at 2:00 pm

Per Schulman, Bochy announced that Panik and Crawford to come into the game together.

• chipower9 said, on July 13, 2015 at 2:07 pm

Very cool. Panik to Crawford to 1st…TWO!

21. Flavor said, on July 13, 2015 at 2:15 pm

I could care less that Berman’s a Giants fan but it’s nice to hear he can thrown down beers and be fun. My issue with him is that, like everything, he’s overdone and played out. He was engaging for like 2 years. Now? He ruins every event with his overblown personality.
    An idea that just came to me: Put some drones up there. I’d like to see the flight of an HR from that perspective.

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 13, 2015 at 2:23 pm

you’re so modern

22. xoot said, on July 13, 2015 at 3:45 pm

based on the weather reports I’ve seen, they’d be smart to cancel the HR derby and kick the AS game to Wednesday. Either that, or declare the game a tie and move on entirely . . . flipping a coin for home field advantage in Oct. what the hell, the players with AS incentive clauses would still get their bumps and Posey and Crawford and Panik won’t have to wallow in the Ohio mud.

23. zumiee said, on July 13, 2015 at 3:50 pm

50 Cent declared bankruptcy. He’s down to his last 50 cent.

• Flavor said, on July 13, 2015 at 4:23 pm

he’s got many, many millions, he’s just trying to hide it from his baby’s mama. He’s an idiot. But your post was clever, nice one. 🙂

• xoot said, on July 13, 2015 at 4:29 pm

filing for bankruptcy usually invokes an immediate stay of all actions against the bankrupt one. I think 50 Cent was on the verge of losing a big state-court lawsuit in NY. This filing may shut that down, for years.

24. Flavor said, on July 13, 2015 at 4:25 pm

After all my ranting, I’m still gonna watch it. I’m watching the pre-game show right now, it’s definitely entertaining. These guys are loose and having fun. I don’t really have a feel for who’s gonna win it but when they asked Fielder on what advice he’d give younger players on how to win this thing he just goes “Swing up.” That was rad and I’ll pick him though my guess is that he’s going to run out of gas in the finals. Still rooting for him

25. alleykat69 said, on July 13, 2015 at 4:26 pm

Even though he’s a Dodger and I can’t stand the Dodgers, My prediction for the HR derby champion is Joc Pederson..

• Flavor said, on July 13, 2015 at 4:29 pm

good pick. The league is figuring him out and he’s not really adjusting but he should be able to compete in a competition like this. One cool thing about the new format: because outs don’t count we won’t see guys letting pitches go by. Try to hit everything out, no harm in missing.

26. Flavor said, on July 13, 2015 at 4:34 pm

that’s the other thing about this venue and the juiced balls they’re using. One guy has hit it in the Ohio River in the history of this stadium (Dunn) so that’s going to be a big deal to see tonight. The lefty hitters are going to pepper the river tonight.

27. wilcojoe said, on July 13, 2015 at 5:21 pm

I like the timed thing so far but not being able to pitch the ball till the last one lands is stupid. Rizzo could have had one last pitch as the clock expired but the ball previous foul ball hadnt landed. Weak.

28. djloo27 said, on July 13, 2015 at 5:22 pm

The announcer (Ravech?) called the Griffeys the greatest father and son homer hitting combo ever.
    Someone should tell him they were a good 300 behind Bobby and Barry Bonds…

• Flavor said, on July 13, 2015 at 6:01 pm

that was hilarious

• djloo27 said, on July 13, 2015 at 6:10 pm

I even replayed it to make sure I heard right…

• Flavor said, on July 13, 2015 at 6:16 pm

I heard it too and didn’t replay it. Just unreal idiocy.

29. wilcojoe said, on July 13, 2015 at 5:45 pm

Ok, that Todd Frazier round was pretty awesome.

30. wilcojoe said, on July 13, 2015 at 6:10 pm

Has anyone mentioned that Bonds is there in full uniform (NL ASG uni)? Have seen two shots of him tonight but haven’t seen any mention of it from the Giants scribes. Not that I am surprised.

31. Flavor said, on July 13, 2015 at 6:15 pm

Bryant’s dad is a horrible pitcher

• alleykat69 said, on July 13, 2015 at 6:22 pm

Yeah true BF, cause he sure had own age on his son who looked pretty frustrated.

• wilcojoe said, on July 13, 2015 at 6:24 pm

I was thinking the same thing Craig. . It must have been nerves. On the other hand, Frazier’s brother was lobbying up the most perfect seeds.

32. Flavor said, on July 13, 2015 at 6:22 pm

unless you think Pujols is juicing, which I guess is a legit concern, what he’s doing this year is unreal. And how cool is it that he’s taking the time to do this competition? Old Mav v The Kids. Cool story.

• wilcojoe said, on July 13, 2015 at 6:29 pm

Agreed, but I think he is juicing. He looks huge. Like a man that age shouldn’t look. I have this conspiracy theory that there are certain players in baseball MLB would never bust. Pujols, Trout and Posey. There may be a handful more.

33. Flavor said, on July 13, 2015 at 6:25 pm

“at the buzzer”…very cool, I am rooting hard for Pujols to win this now

34. alleykat69 said, on July 13, 2015 at 6:28 pm

And down goes Bryant by the Old Vet!
    Still like my chances even more with Joc now taking down Pujols next round!

35. wilcojoe said, on July 13, 2015 at 6:30 pm

It would be cool to see the hometown guy win but I gotta root for Pujols. Juice or no juice.

36. Flavor said, on July 13, 2015 at 6:42 pm

the other thing about idiot Berman– he has no sense for how far these balls are going. SOmetimes his biggest, loudest calls don’t even leave the yard. It’s hilarious.

• alleykat69 said, on July 13, 2015 at 6:49 pm

Yeah those are hilarious Craig, man that’s way out, as it barely gets to the warning track..

37. alleykat69 said, on July 13, 2015 at 6:47 pm

Didn’t think Frazier was gonna make it happen late, good drama as the last bomb cleared with 000 left and I don’t mean Our own 000 Andrianza,,,

38. alleykat69 said, on July 13, 2015 at 7:02 pm

I’ll say one thing when my boy Joc finally found his groove, he hits some major bombs…

39. wilcojoe said, on July 13, 2015 at 7:08 pm

Does Pujols not realize this is timed?

40. alleykat69 said, on July 13, 2015 at 7:30 pm

Jesus, for a team like the Giants that can never develop an outfielder and has a local kid Joc Pederson from Palo Alto and drafted in the 11th round slip thru, is pretty depressing cause he will be a star like Bryce Harper

41. wilcojoe said, on July 13, 2015 at 7:34 pm

That was pretty sweet. Love the new format. Frazier’s brother was on the money with his timing.

42. Flavor said, on July 13, 2015 at 7:38 pm

agreed, the format is much better. And good for Cincinnati. Finally something to cheer for. This is the type of shit baseball fans of teams who don’t win world series have to root for. A Red vs a Dodger. That’s 52 years of combined seasons since either of those teams won a world series. Ha, I love that…..

• chipower9 said, on July 13, 2015 at 9:11 pm

That’s money…LOL…

43. snarkk said, on July 13, 2015 at 7:42 pm

Walked into a brew pub after dropping off he younger Snarkettes and I was subjected to the end of this HR contest. They were tied at 14, so why does Frazier win by hitting just one more in extra time ? Doesn’t the other guy get another shot? And no fix for the hometown boy, right? Ha ha…

• Flavor said, on July 13, 2015 at 7:45 pm

Joc had extra time, too. THat’s how he got to 14

• snarkk said, on July 13, 2015 at 8:04 pm

Roger that…

44. snarkk said, on July 13, 2015 at 7:48 pm

Every time I see this bandbox Cincy park I think of that game 5 in the 2012 division series, and Posey smoking that grabnd salami off Latos and the ball sailing over Latos’ name in the upper deck signage. That was a game for the ages, I bit off half a pound of fingernails in the late innings of that one …

• chipower9 said, on July 13, 2015 at 9:14 pm

That was one of the best post-season highlights of all three WS runs, IMO.

• snarkk said, on July 13, 2015 at 9:23 pm

Agreed. That game was an awesome display of tension baseball at its finest. Pagan had a late innings sliding catch in center. And Romo had to close down the 9th; I was sweating bullets. That second out against Bruce with a bunch of fouls was excruciatingly sublime…

• chipower9 said, on July 14, 2015 at 8:26 am

Yep…I think there were like 107 pitches thrown in the Bruce AB. Damned near killed me! Drove me to drinkin’, that’s for sure…

45. snarkk said, on July 13, 2015 at 8:00 pm

Screw the HR contest, I’m digging these hot blondes in micro shorts playing softball …

• Irish Kevin said, on July 13, 2015 at 8:38 pm

That and listening to Snoop dog mic’ up!!

46. snarkk said, on July 13, 2015 at 8:11 pm

Rollie fingers pitching softball underhanded to some 20 year old blond Disney bimbette named Olivia? Together with a pint of Pliny the Elder, my mind is blown…

• chipower9 said, on July 13, 2015 at 9:16 pm

A pint of Pliny the Elder and hot babes. A powerful combination.

I must get down to Russian River one of these years when they release The Younger. A must try before I punch-out of this lifetime…

47. Carstie Clausen said, on July 13, 2015 at 8:18 pm

Cool piece in the Merc by Dan Brown about the level of respect the other All Stars have for Bumgarner. He has a pretty special status amongst his peers. He would be a total monster all season if he could turn it on throughout the season as he did in the Postseason last year ~ particularly in that five inning totally clean relief stint on a mere two days rest in Oc friggen tober.

• James said, on July 13, 2015 at 8:38 pm

Oh no, another inconsistent Giant?

48. Irish Kevin said, on July 13, 2015 at 8:37 pm

Bleacher report has a rumor that the Giants are talking to Miam about getting Morse back. What do you all think of that?

• James said, on July 13, 2015 at 8:41 pm

It would help make up for the premature benching of Pat Burrell in 2011!!

• Flavor said, on July 13, 2015 at 8:57 pm

pointless nonsense. There’s no place for him to play and the Giants aren’t taking on 8 mil for him next year.

• James said, on July 13, 2015 at 9:04 pm

But it’s a moral issue!

• chipower9 said, on July 13, 2015 at 9:17 pm

Fuck NO!

49. Lisle Ellis said, on July 13, 2015 at 8:59 pm

Me, I like the idea … though I’d admit it doesn’t make a lot of obvious sense. But I like the Beast. He is an emotional player and is probably of a type that really responds to the Reverends rants and I think the he brings a lot of joy to the clubhouse … the kind of guy that you actually like being around everyday … in an odd way, that can sometimes be as important as a great set of skills … and he does have some timely sweet swats, as we all know only so very well!

50. twinfan1 said, on July 13, 2015 at 9:21 pm

Of the All-Star games I’ve seen, one from years ago still remains my favorite. The “Callison Game” in ’64.This was maybe the Golden Age of Outfielders- Clemente, Mays, Aaron, Billy Williams,Colavito, Kaline, Killebrew, Mantle, Oliva…relatively unknown Johnny Callison stole the show going against maybe the scariest reliever ever- Dick Radatz …the walk off HR is one of the great moments in any sport…

• alleykat69 said, on July 13, 2015 at 9:43 pm

Great Stuff Michael,
      Endless amount of HOF players back then.”God I love baseball”

• twinfan1 said, on July 13, 2015 at 10:12 pm

Callison was a damn good player- he had an arm that rivaled Clemente’s. I think I saw Mays in the group to meet him at the plate. Must have been a great memory-being mobbed by Mays and some of greatest players ever, Johnny died in ’06. He was 67.

• zumiee said, on July 13, 2015 at 10:48 pm

Cool stuff, thanks. That player’s name wasn’t familiar to me.

There was a nice stretch where Giants players won several All Star game MVPs.

1964 Johnny Callison Philadelphia Phillies National RF
      1965 Juan Marichal San Francisco Giants National P
      1966 Brooks Robinson Baltimore Orioles American 3B
      1967 Tony Perez Cincinnati Reds National 3B
      1968 Willie Mays San Francisco Giants National CF
      1969 Willie McCovey San Francisco Giants National 1B
      1970 Carl Yastrzemski Boston Red Sox American CF/1B
      1971 Frank Robinson Baltimore Orioles American RF
      1972 Joe Morgan Cincinnati Reds National 2B
      1973 Bobby Bonds San Francisco Giants National RF

• chipower9 said, on July 14, 2015 at 8:30 am

Good stuff, Twin. I was not familiar with Callison, but remember loving watching the AS game back then. Those were the days in which I was just getting into baseball. Agree with Kat…”I Love Baseball!”

51. snarkk said, on July 13, 2015 at 11:06 pm

1973 All Star game.
    Several NL players wore white cleats, including Bobby Bonds. I remember watching that game, and being incredulous at Bonds wearing those shoes. He homered off Bill Singer, and got game MVP. In those days, the All Star game was pretty special. You got to see guys you just never saw with the Sat game of the week the only real way you could see ball on TV…

• zumiee said, on July 13, 2015 at 11:18 pm

Yeah, I didn’t see much baseball on TV in those days. The NBC Saturday game of the week was a big deal. Plus, the “This Week In Baseball” show hosted by Mel Allen.
      The few Giants games on Channel 2 weren’t that viable at our house, because we couldn’t get good reception on Channel 2 at our house. It was a snowy picture. Games on the radio were a cool thing, though.
      Cable TV was such a big breakthrough, and really changed the sports landscape.

52. Irish Kevin said, on July 14, 2015 at 8:11 am

Transistor radio’ AM only!!! Someone always had one at the playground while playing baseball. Best of times!!

53. chipower9 said, on July 14, 2015 at 8:34 am

Yeah, I remember the games of the week, but on most Saturdays I was out with a crowd playing ball…dawn to dusk. Most of my early experiences with baseball was via my transistor radio. Took that bad boy to bed with me many many nights, and listened to Harry Caray call the Cards games (growing up in Northeastern Oklahoma, the Cards were the TV and radio feed for our area).

54. chipower9 said, on July 14, 2015 at 8:35 am

Love this article and how Bum told Bochy he is either starting or closing the AS game. LMAO…

giants-bumgarner-told-bochy-he-either-wants-to-start-or-close-asg-071315

Also was glad to hear Boch say he would bring Craw and Panik into the game together. How damned cool is that going to be for those two with this being their first Midsummer Classic.

55. unca_chuck said, on July 14, 2015 at 8:40 am

The fucking game of the week was ALWAYS Cincy, the Dodgers, Cards or Yanks. I’m sure they were on it but I never remember seeing the Giants on that.

• snarkk said, on July 14, 2015 at 8:47 am

Giants were on rarely. It was a treat when they were televised — the guys on the radio became real…

56. chipower9 said, on July 14, 2015 at 8:40 am

Regarding the new format for the HR derby, I really like it. I was not sold going into yesterday, but sitting at the brewery last night with a couple of friends, and watching the first couple of brackets, I was really liking it. The old format was way tired….I had not watched the past couple, and would not have without the format change.

Early on I thought Pederson and Frazier would end up in the final. I did not have anyone I was pulling for hard, so it was cool to see the hometown guy win it with a “walkoff,” especially against a bumbino (yeah, I know Pederson is from the Bay Area, but still, he does wear the hated blue).

Someone had mentioned that it was bogus that they had to wait for the current ball to hit the ground before throwing another pitch. I actually like that aspect….it really makes the player be cognizant of the time. And most of those guys were dog-ass tired when it was all said and done, no way did they need more pitches during the contest, IMO.

57. chipower9 said, on July 14, 2015 at 9:45 am

Panik has quickly become one of my favorite Giants. If you have not seen it yet, this is a good read.

I definitely see the possibility of batting titles and gold gloves in this kid’s future.

58. chipower9 said, on July 14, 2015 at 9:51 am

Hey Craig – thanks once again for keeping this blog alive over the years. It really is a magical place to talk about one of this groups’ prime passions – San Francisco Giants baseball.

And it has been very cool to “meet” you all online, and especially sweet to have met a handful of you in person. This place is bad ass. Rock on, Flap Universe!

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 14, 2015 at 12:55 pm

Amen! Bruh. (Is that what young people declare?)

59. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 14, 2015 at 10:21 am

zummie, have you seen this? Thought you might be interested.

• xoot said, on July 14, 2015 at 10:28 am

I’m not sure a long net down the sideline is the answer, but mlb needs to put more effort into fan safety. The broken bat epidemic has been going on too long. The barrel that brained the poor woman in Boston flew off of an a’s player’s bat. Interesting that an a’s fan is named plaintiff in the class action lawsuit. btw, on the legal front, the ex-husband of the Boston victim is using the accident as leverage in a custody battle over their kid. The kid never should’ve been in that seat and suffered the deleterious damage of seeing her mother nearly killed by a baseball bat, etc., etc. Divorce lawyers . . . .

• xoot said, on July 14, 2015 at 10:30 am

actually, I guess it’s a son who witnessed the horrific incident

• zumiee said, on July 14, 2015 at 11:12 am

Thanks.
      I can see both sides of the issue, but the maple bats are the biggest issue, IMO. Those need to go. But MLB usually moves slowly. They’re probably going to wait until somebody gets killed.

• ewisco said, on July 14, 2015 at 11:15 am

well and then there’s the bats that just fly out of their hands, no breaking needed. I think that was actually the case in Boston but I could be wrong. Fine them?

• chipower9 said, on July 14, 2015 at 11:54 am

Fine who? The hitter? For an accident? For not using enough pine tar? I disagree…a fine is not the way to go IMO. People know, or SHOULD KNOW, the risks of attending a game when sitting along the basepaths close to the action.

I agree more needs to be done to make the fan experience safer, but fining the player whose hand the bat (broken or not) flew out of is not the answer. Just my opinion.

• xoot said, on July 14, 2015 at 12:35 pm

Lawrie’s bat broke and the barrel hit the woman in Boston, according to the reports I’ve seen.

60. wilcojoe said, on July 14, 2015 at 12:07 pm

I think a net down the lines will never happen. Too many fans like myself who can’t stand sitting behind a net. The problem is people on their cell phones, not paying attention. The maple bats on the other hand, need to go.

• chipower9 said, on July 14, 2015 at 12:44 pm

I agree 100 percent, Wilco. One of my daughter’s and my favorite places to sit is along the baseline near the Giants bullpen. I see so many people sitting down there yakking it up on their phone, or just not paying attention…this right in the middle of action (balls being pitched and hit). I wish no harm to anyone, but wake the fuck up and pay attention…or, pay the consequences.

61. pawliekokonuts said, on July 14, 2015 at 12:50 pm

Carstie’s meditation is publishable, or at least worthy of going viral, eh? (Along with several similar, rich posts by Twin and others here over the years.) Magnus, you can take a page from my hymnal and collate them and indeed publish them. That’s what I did for “Seeing the Signs,” my latest.

• chipower9 said, on July 14, 2015 at 1:22 pm

Great idea. There has been some awesome stuff flow out of “The Flap.”

62. pawliekokonuts said, on July 14, 2015 at 12:53 pm

Jose Bautista is now following me on Twitter. I got all excited until I discovered he is following 512,000. Give or take.

• chipower9 said, on July 14, 2015 at 1:22 pm

lol…

63. zumiee said, on July 14, 2015 at 1:25 pm

It’s a beautifully written post by Stick, but I don’t agree with all of it.
    Anyone that’s coached football knows that there is a strong chess-game element to football.

64. wilcojoe said, on July 14, 2015 at 1:38 pm

Taking a break from work to catch some ASG coverage on MLB network. Bum is throwing to Kershaw. A large contingent of players huddled by watching. This is some cool shit.

65. Flavor said, on July 14, 2015 at 1:39 pm

new thread

66. zumiee said, on July 14, 2015 at 7:04 pm

“Big Game” Kershaw again.