Open

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 16, 2015

Well, I’ve been up for 7 hours……

The things I do to watch The Open live……

Tomorrow, we get baseball back again.

Yeah!

Might be time for a nap later. Glad I’m on vacation…….

1. Paul Sorensen said, on July 16, 2015 at 8:49 am

Pushing 11pm Thursday night in Saigon, 9am China Basin time. Just checked to see if Fox Asia might be covering The Open here (which, I agree, is the best that golf has to offer, especially heaven for duffers like most of us who probably played on cheap, wild, unmaintained public courses in places like Absecon, New Jersey or, if you’re lucky enough to have played at public courses like Lincoln Park in SF, with that great 17th par 3 tee, looking out across the Gate at the Headlands, difficult to hit that green with all that wind, which is what’s so great about The Open, just *wild* golf)… but no. Only football (sorry, soccer) on Fox Asia tonight…. Yeah, welcome back to baseball, huh. Enjoy your holiday, Craig. As soon as I finish marking final exams here this weekend, I’m off to Bangkok for a few days of …. anything Thai. Time for the 2nd half, go Giants….

2. chipower9 said, on July 16, 2015 at 9:59 am

Enjoy your vacation, Craig. Baseball cannot be back soon enough!

Let’s start the drive to Four in Six! Why Not!

• Paul Sorensen said, on July 16, 2015 at 10:26 am

Chuck, your “why not?” makes as much sense as anything else… 🙂 Years ago here in Saigon, there was a bar called Why Not .. run by a Swiss guy, staffed by local lovelies, of course. Across the street there was a similar bar called Up To You. That was a great street…..

• chipower9 said, on July 16, 2015 at 11:32 am

LOL. I think I would have been a regular at the “Why Not.” 😉

But seriously, Why Not?

NL stats:

Avg – 2nd
        OBP – 2nd
        SLG – 3rd
        OPS – 3rd

WHIP (relievers) – T5 @ 1.24
        WHIP (starters) – 8th @ 1.27

If they can get quality starts out of the starters and Cain and Peavy continue to show well, AND the bullpen can get it together, I see no reason they cannot punch their ticket to the dance. And we all know that once that happens…ANYTHING can happen.

Keys (IMO) – Casilla and Romo need to lock it down in the late innings. Strickland can stand to improve a bit, too. Will be interesting to see what Timmy (I assume in relief) and Affeldt bring to the table when they return (Huddy, too).

It should be interesting. Time to Play Ball (I hate the damned AS break).

Hope all is well in Saigon, Paul.

3. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 16, 2015 at 11:40 am

You take vacation just to watch The Open? Sweet jebus.

• Flavor said, on July 16, 2015 at 2:55 pm

Ha, I’ve got 2 weeks off. In between going places right now

4. Irish Kevin said, on July 16, 2015 at 12:13 pm

Yeah baseball withdrawals, I am main lining my Java juice to get me through.

• chipower9 said, on July 16, 2015 at 12:28 pm

Hang in there, Kev. I want to collect on that bet! 😉

5. chipower9 said, on July 16, 2015 at 2:54 pm

I do not get this one:

Dude was hitting .209 with a .479 OPS when released by Baltimore. Depth in the minors???

Fuck…go get PARRA!

• blade3colorado said, on July 16, 2015 at 3:46 pm

The speed and the fact that he’s on the right side of 30 make Cabrera interesting, but aside from his base-running, there’s not a whole lot to like here. He’d have to improve his contact rates to provide more offense and, well, that’s really hard to do. Cabrera can run and that’s wonderful, but he doesn’t hit much, isn’t great in the field, doesn’t stay healthy, and has a police record. That’s not really a guy I want on my team.

That being said, the Giants got him basically for free, so no harm, no foul.

• chipower9 said, on July 17, 2015 at 6:54 am

I know…but still a head-scratcher for all the reasons you mention. Depth…hope we do not need it (him)…

6. alleykat69 said, on July 16, 2015 at 4:13 pm

Hell we have 000 with no bat and he’s even younger then Cabrera, dumb signing just a fill- in for the minor league camps and police blotters.Now if it was Miguel Cabrera I might raise my eyebrows some.
    Stop bringing in these retreads Sabes/Evans and make a real trade for once!

7. Flavor said, on July 16, 2015 at 4:24 pm

I’m all for giving a guy a second chance but this dude seems to be a perpetual fuck up. Busted for steroids, then domestic violence, then DUI followed by resisting arrest? Too many strikes against him and if he’s not taking steroids then we really have no use for him……

• djloo27 said, on July 16, 2015 at 5:22 pm

I like guys who resist arrest once in a while..
      It’s like the criminal’s version of getting in a rundown…

• unca_chuck said, on July 16, 2015 at 6:17 pm

Hah! Caught stealing, indeed.

• djloo27 said, on July 16, 2015 at 6:40 pm

lulz!

• snarkk said, on July 16, 2015 at 10:00 pm

If he resists hitting, I don’t see the point in signing him…

8. snarkk said, on July 16, 2015 at 9:57 pm

The AS Game drew terrible TV ratings.
    Radio guys on KNBR surmised people don’t get into watching a conga line of guys take one AB (then gone) against a conga line of pitchers. I think they’re right…

• Lisle Ellis said, on July 17, 2015 at 12:34 pm

Makes me sad to hear that. Maybe the radio guys are right but I sense it has more to do with the fact that baseball is, generally, an under appreciated art form. In my life I have NO friends … and I mean zero, zilch, nada, etc … that are into baseball. Of course, I have all of you here at the Flap … but I know you know what I mean.

People want gladiatorial entertainment, extraordinary experiences with the minimum effort. Fuck the ‘american pastime’, what fun is that? Let’s face it, baseball is boring … on the surface. Yet, for those of us that have been enlightened, baseball is anything but boring. For us, baseball is life! A life worth living.

9. snarkk said, on July 16, 2015 at 10:33 pm

Voggy has been sent to the Pen. Bochy can’t be pinned down by the beat guys on when Lincecum comes back. I think they’ll leave him on the DL as long as they can…

• Lisle Ellis said, on July 17, 2015 at 12:02 pm

Gotta trust Boch on this decision, I suppose … but … I’m not feeling it … we all saw what Lincecum did from the pen awhile back. Maybe the ‘new’ Lincecum would not fare so well and Boch knows that. Voggy will probably be a disaster … In Bochy we trust.

10. unca_chuck said, on July 16, 2015 at 10:42 pm

Well, when you have 45 players per team, it’s hard to get them in. All because of one extra inning game.

Thanks Bud.

11. snarkk said, on July 16, 2015 at 11:08 pm

Reblogged this on THE San Francisco Giants Blog.

12. snarkk said, on July 16, 2015 at 11:18 pm

I have no clue what just happened. I did not write the 11:08 or “reblogg” anything — hell I don’t even know how to do it. WTF?