A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Dead Man Walking

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 20, 2015

Hector Sanchez has returned. I admit, I didn’t even know he was still playing. Thought he retired. Maybe he should have. This guy is playing with fire and you can’t help but wince every time you see him take one off the face.

Here’s what he said yesterday:

“I was scared after what happened last year, but I try to live with it,” Sanchez said. “Nothing I can do. If I play baseball, I have to be a catcher. It’s how I learned to play.”

That’s hardly a mindset that anyone should have to have when they go to work everyday. Every pitch that’s thrown at him is a risk. It’s hard to watch.

1. zumiee said, on July 20, 2015 at 9:59 pm

Slow-moving game, too.

• chipower9 said, on July 20, 2015 at 10:01 pm

Yeah, I am about to take my slow moving ass to bed…

• Lisle Ellis said, on July 20, 2015 at 10:04 pm

A www really Chi … Not gonna stick around to see who comes off the bench next? … Maxsmell? Nariass? Vector?

• chipower9 said, on July 20, 2015 at 10:09 pm

Lisle – some of us (unfortunately I am one of those “us”) still work for a living, and I get up at 5. Surprised I have made it this far tonight…time to turn on KNBR and listen from the rack.

• Lisle Ellis said, on July 20, 2015 at 10:12 pm

Condolences Chi … Got your back here bro, always … just kiddin’ wid ya truly … I’m retired mostly … no, make that retarded 🙂

• chipower9 said, on July 20, 2015 at 10:22 pm

Four more years for me, Lisle…unless I hit that lottery! 😉

2. zumiee said, on July 20, 2015 at 10:03 pm

Vogey’s taking forever between pitches.

3. zumiee said, on July 20, 2015 at 10:04 pm

Nice DP.

4. snarkk said, on July 20, 2015 at 10:12 pm

Has anyone ever heard that Lincecum had bad hips? All of a sudden, out of the blue, he’s got degenerative hip disease — in BOTH hips? You don’t get something like that overnight, I should think. Either it’s baloney, or as usual, the Giants have kept some serious medical stuff under wraps, and the beat writers have been clueless or knew and didn’t say. Maybe the usual, “oh, he’s been treated for bad hips for the last two seasons” kind of casual drop will come out in the stories this week…

• chipower9 said, on July 20, 2015 at 10:24 pm

Perhaps fabricated. But I will say that when I started feeling pain and numbness in my right arm and forefinger/thumb, it came on all of a sudden. I did physical therapy, chiro, had a nerve conductivity test, and after months, found out I had some herniated discs. So, if Timmy does have degenerative hip stuff going on, it truly may have just come on. And again, maybe a ploy to keep him on the DL as there is not a spot for him on the staff.

• snarkk said, on July 20, 2015 at 10:29 pm

I think your second surmise is probably on track…

5. Lisle Ellis said, on July 20, 2015 at 10:13 pm

read that Boch said he has been bothered by it since last year.

• snarkk said, on July 20, 2015 at 10:15 pm

Typical Giants medical BS. I don’t believe any medical crap they release to the public anymore…

• unca_chuck said, on July 20, 2015 at 10:23 pm

I have no idea what the rules are regarding the disclosure of injuries, but just because they knew about it last year doesn’t mean they have to tell the world. If the medical staff clears him to play, what are they supposed to do?

I mean even Hector is a much more egregious problem because he IS putting his brain at risk. Timmy’s just trying to contribute. If he;s at the point where he has to retire,this doesn’t reflect on the medical staff as much as exposing Sanchez to more shots to the head.

Let’s get to Kimbrel. Fuck the Pads. Almost fgot there,

• chipower9 said, on July 20, 2015 at 10:25 pm

Didn’t see your post before responding to snarkk.

6. unca_chuck said, on July 20, 2015 at 10:14 pm

This one is a crawler. Wonder if Sandog can rally the troops in the 9th.

Shit, that looks like a 1979 Candlesrtick crowd.

7. zumiee said, on July 20, 2015 at 10:16 pm

A 4-2 game shouldn’t be heading for 3 1/2 hours.

• zumiee said, on July 20, 2015 at 10:16 pm

In theory.

8. alleykat69 said, on July 20, 2015 at 10:21 pm

So should Tim change his walk up music to “Hip to be Square” by Huey Lewis?

• Lisle Ellis said, on July 20, 2015 at 10:29 pm

WoW Kat.. Beauty!

• alleykat69 said, on July 20, 2015 at 10:42 pm

Thanks Lisle,
        Since I’m old school and couldn’t think of a hip-hop song for Tim, “Hip to be Square” works for me🎤🎷

9. alleykat69 said, on July 20, 2015 at 10:24 pm

Kimbrel’s fucking bird of prey act is getting old..

10. chipower9 said, on July 20, 2015 at 10:26 pm

That sucked. Erase, rewind, delete. Get ’em tomorrow. G’night, girls.

11. snarkk said, on July 20, 2015 at 10:26 pm

Sheezus, were the Giants running late in their dates with hookers back at the hotel? Kimbrel throws 4 pitches — game over. When Casilla comes in, we drop 5 pounds sweating out the save…

• Lisle Ellis said, on July 20, 2015 at 10:32 pm

Nice observation Snarkk. So, true true!

• alleykat69 said, on July 20, 2015 at 10:46 pm

Snarkk,
      Guess the players figure they have a better chance to score with hookers, then off of Kimbrel..

12. Lisle Ellis said, on July 20, 2015 at 10:27 pm

And dats dat … Once again, the predictability of unpredictability … saw that finish comin 90 mins ago.
    Oh well, no gain on the division and no gain on the WC.

13. alleykat69 said, on July 20, 2015 at 10:27 pm

I’m sick and tired of bottom feeders like the Padres owning our asses!!
    Shit, I wish we could just play the fucking Dodgers every game!!!

14. snarkk said, on July 20, 2015 at 10:48 pm

They’re missing Susac already…

15. giants54 said, on July 20, 2015 at 10:48 pm

August should be fun then, with no bottom feeders.

16. zumiee said, on July 20, 2015 at 11:47 pm

My two big take-aways from tonight’s game is that Hudson is not going to be much help down the stretch. He wasn’t last year either, but at least last year he had a good first half. He didn’t do that this year. He’s just done. It happens to all players eventually.
    And the other take-away is that the Giants need to acquire a good outfielder and shut Pagan down for the rest of the season, and try to get him healthy in the off-season. He’s just a shell of himself hobbling around out there. It’s admirable that he wants to do what he can to try to help the team, but it’s up to the team management to say enough is enough.

• snarkk said, on July 21, 2015 at 12:06 am

Agree mostly, zum. I don’t know what’s wrong with Pagan other than the stated bone bruise to one knee, whatever that means. He could have a cartilage tear, for all we know. Aoki comes up, Pagan should go onto the DL. It’s a shame the Giants have NO outfield substitutes from the minors. None. We can laud the Giants management all we want for 3 in 5, but that doesn’t take away from the truth that there is a shocking lack of outfielders in this system. You just should not be in this position where a player is forced to play hurt. It makes no sense to me — the guy can’t run down frozen ropes like he used to do when healthy, and he’s a shell of himself at the plate…

• zumiee said, on July 21, 2015 at 12:12 am

I read a thing that said Tyler Beede is being scouted by the Red Sox, but I don’t see what the Red Sox have, outfield-wise, that would be of interest. And I don’t think the Giants would trade such a promising first round pick to get a rental. I don’t think they’ll do a Beltran/Wheeler type of deal again. I think that was a one-off.

• snarkk said, on July 21, 2015 at 12:21 am

Beede has to be the top choice to take one of the at least two open rotation spots next year, so I can’t see any scenario where they trade him…

• Lisle Ellis said, on July 21, 2015 at 1:31 am

My two big take-aways from tonight’s game (carrying on with Zum’s theme) were Kat’s 10:21 post suggesting Lincecum’s new walk up music should be ‘Hip to be Square’ … and … Kat’s 10:24 … “Kimbrel’s fucking bird of prey act is getting old.” … Yeah, what’s up with that pre-pitch posture of fuckin’ Cumbrela’s? I suppose he thinks he is going to distract the batter by making them think they should suddenly stand at attention, remove their cap, and place their hand over their heart and start crooning the start spangled?? fuck him, Fuck Him 2x!

On topic .. Huddy just might surprise yet with an inverse performance from last year: shit at start but gold at the end … but I doubt it.

Here is the ugly reality as I see it …

We have only two starters, maybe two and a half.
        Our SP issues are going to exacerbate the already existing serious troubles of the pen.
        We have a serious problem in the OF: no power of consequence and suspect defense in CF.
        Our bench really, really, really sucks!

• chipower9 said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:57 am

snarkk – this has always been their M.O. for quite a while, and they have always filled those needs via a trade, or a dumpster dive. This can easily be addressed for this year, and a few more, if they put together the right package and go get Parra. Giddy the fuck up and get it done!

And I do not think Pagan needs to be shut-down all year…but only time would tell.

17. ewisco said, on July 21, 2015 at 7:00 am

I think they should DL Pagan for awhile so he can get healthy. Blanco everyday is usually not a great thing but put him in center with Maxwell and maybe belt in left (if posey has a game at first) for the next two games. then aoki comes back on Friday and we should be ok for awhile (or until they get Parra?).

18. willedav said, on July 21, 2015 at 7:42 am

I think e wisc is right. If you think about it, there really isn’t room for another OF like Parra once Aoki returns this week as long as Pagan is around. And it would not surprise me one iota once he goes on DL and gets serious medical attention, he’s done for the year.

I used to play b-ball regularly once a week with other old fart guys (all of us over 40) in a small gym, til I had some Achilles tendinitis. I could feel it grab and tighten up if I pushed transition speed to what I could normally do at full exertion, so I’d back off and slow down. And eventually gave up all together and worked to strengthen/stretch the muscles around it, but I never went back to playing full court like that.
    That’s what Pagan looks like to me—that next gear might still be there but he knows he can’t use it. There was a play couple weeks ago with a guy on 1b and he hit a two hopper to 2b batting LH. The throw came back to 1b from the SS for the DP and he was barely even in the picture, out by 3-4 steps.

19. unca_chuck said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:21 am

Yeah, they just need to get Aoki, and now Susac back. They only get Parra if Pagan is shut down completely.

20. unca_chuck said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:25 am

I’d go with Tower of Power’s What is Hip? Huey Lewis is a weenie compared to these guys..

Again, sorry Flav, but I can’t resist.

Greatest horn section steroids ever created.

Lenny Williams was Bad. Ass.

21. willedav said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:27 am

You know Flav, more I think about it you might have the right heading but the wrong guy.
    Giants still owe Pagan for next year, right? But an OF of Aoki Pence Blanco Parra ( guy I’ve always liked) is not bad at all and Max as a back up/RH pop is OK. Given Pagan’s recent history of last few years, he could be next Scut., as in done forever. Are Giants ready to back all the way off him and go different direction for full time CF? Brewers said to have Carlos Gomez available too, tho Parra likely a lot cheaper in terms of pitching talent they’d want in return.

Snarkk, lot of us remember the days going back to early 60s when SF always had too many OFs in the system so it’s kind of hard to take what is up with many years lack of development. Even a team as bad as AZ has a fine crop of young OFs with Peralta Polllock Inciarte; they had Parra and Adam Eaton that they both traded away before that.

22. Flavor said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:36 am

new thread. Sorry Willie, cut an paste this over to the new one