Beaten By Bullshit

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 21, 2015

As last off season progressed and the Padres added player after player, I predicted that it would blow up in their collective face and they’d be dead in the water by July. And that has come to pass.

Unfortunately, when we play these fucks they look like the team they had hoped they’d have when originally assembled.

The reality about the Giants is this: we don’t have the pitching to get to the post season. Our starting pitching is paper thin, comprised mostly of a coterie of 4’s and 5’s. Our relief core is a shell of what it once was.

I’m not sure there are enough bullets in Sabean’s trade holster to fix all of this……

___________________________

and tonight, we have to face The Cuban Alphabet. Could be a loooooong game.

1. unca_chuck said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:40 am

Well, I’ll post what i put up on the previousl thread.

With Aoki back, and now we have to wait for Susac, I think we’ll be OK hitting-wise. The bench will be a little better besides.

A lot of what happens falls on Cain’s shoulders. If he can go 6+ fairly well and fairly often, I think we can cobble this season down to the end. BP help shouldn’t be too hard to scrape together down the stretch.

And sorry guys. Hip to be Square? I’d go with Tower of Power’s What is Hip? Huey Lewis is a weenie compared to these guys..

Again, sorry Flav, but I can’t resist.

Greatest horn section steroids ever created.

Lenny Williams was Bad. Ass.

• Lisle Ellis said, on July 21, 2015 at 10:09 am

We’ll now … I cannot argue the funk factor … TP trumps just about everyone & everything (Roco Prestia & David Garibaldi were one one the baddest rhythm sections of all time and the way Lenny Picket ran that horn section, oh man, it don’t get better than that).

However, there was just something about the placement & duration, and the image conjured by Kats comment that struck a nerve. I’m still LMAO.

• Lurker John said, on July 21, 2015 at 11:27 am

+1 on TOP.

• Flavor said, on July 21, 2015 at 5:26 pm

not bad.

2. sandog said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:51 am

Sorry boys, didn’t get it done last night. As a few of you mentioned, the game was played at a snail’s pace and we didn’t even make it to the 7th inning stretch.
    Yeah, same old issue—lousy starting pitching. Yes, Hud looked bad, but I don’t think we can afford to DFA him. I think Bochy and Sabean are going to have keep swapping out Hud, Tim, Cain, Peavy, and Vogs the rest of the way.
    As usual, lots of Giants fans in the house, but not much to cheer about. Crawdad was fun to watch make those nice plays. He’s becoming a star right before our eyes.

Tonight SDSU is running a promotion where for $140, you get a ticket to the Giants/Pads game with a seat on top of the Western Metal Building. All you can eat food and all you can drink beer. Steve Fisher and Rocky Long (SDSU basketball and football coaches) will be there mingling on the rooftop. PLUS, you get a full season ticket (in the end zone) to Aztec football for this upcoming season. I’m trying to talk my buddy into going, mainly so I can shake Steve Fisher’s hand and thank him for doing the impossible and establishing a winning hoops program at SDSU.

• Flavor said, on July 21, 2015 at 9:11 am

where were you guys sitting? Any hotties nearby to spike the dull pain of watching Huddy pitch?

• sandog said, on July 21, 2015 at 9:26 am

A teacher friend has season tickets behind the plate in the lowest portion of the upper deck. Similar to where we sat at ATT, but closer to the action. Pretty good seats.
        Yes, there was some nice scenery including some senoritas toting around tall Modelos—-which is a great look in my book.

3. chipower9 said, on July 21, 2015 at 9:10 am

Back to the OF conversation on the previous thread. I think there IS room in the OF for Parra. You put Pagan on the DL and only bring him back when he can contribute. In the meantime, your OF is Pence, Parra, and Aoki, with Blanco and Maxwell on the bench. When (if) Pagan returns, you DFA Maxwell.

The Brewers got Parra cheaply, so they probably are not going to ask much. A top draft pick prospect and a mid-level guy.

RE: the SP. I posted the following last night:

Well, Peavy hasn’t looked too bad since coming back. In his last three starts, he when went:

6.1 – 3H, 2 ER
    7.0 – 6 H, 1 ER
    6.1, 8H, 4 ER.

Cain has gone 5, 6, and 5 innings while giving up 5, 0, and 4 ER in those games.

Not sure they have anyone who is ready to step in from the minors or not…have not been following the minor stats of late.

Agree, they may have to rotate through Cain, Peavy, Vogey, Timmy (wildcard here) and Hudson (if he isn’t totally done) for the remainder of the season.

I heard on the radio yesterday (buy am not finding anything in print) that there may be mutual interest between Greinke and the Giants. What kind of coin is he going to want, and do you pull the trigger on that for a five year deal (don’t forget, as I am sure you have not, the Zito and Cain deals). Cain’s deal is looking pretty damned putrid right now.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 21, 2015 at 10:16 am

Hellz to the yeah on Greinke. Bumgarner, Greinke, Cain, Heston, Peavy. Sounds good to me. Of course he’s interested. He plays with a bunch of losers and wants to win.

• Irish Kevin said, on July 21, 2015 at 10:51 am

Put Pagan on the DL before he hits 100 games! 😂😂😂😂😂

• chipower9 said, on July 21, 2015 at 11:39 am

Kevin – he has now been in 85 games. 81 starts. Tick…Tick…Tick…

It is almost time for you to…

Pay Up Suckah! 😉

I am going to relish every fucking drop of that cold beer, brother.

• Lurker John said, on July 21, 2015 at 11:29 am

Grienke on this staff would be bad ass. The boy can deal.

4. Bozo said, on July 21, 2015 at 9:47 am

I think the Giants have a few bullets in the trade holster if they are willing to give them up. Bochy has already said every team has started the conversation by asking for Beede. Big trade or future rotation?

Going forward, is Buster going to play 1B or not? If he is, I’d imagine Ricky Oropesa would look good to a few teams. Also from Richmond, I could see teams kicking the tires on catcher Eliezer Zambrano, relief Derek Law (I sure hope not), and starters Marte and Biagni.

AAA? Pirates need some left side of the INF to fill in for injured players, Frandsen or Adrianza might get us a low level prospect or maybe a BP guy. AL teams needing a DH might want to try Duvall in that roll. catcher Ben Turner might turn some heads if he’s available (I hope he isn’t), Okert and Cody Hall might draw some interest for teams looking for young BP guys (Atlanta, come on down).

I still don’t see the Giants making much noise before the deadline, but I do think they have some players that other teams might want.

• chipower9 said, on July 21, 2015 at 10:06 am

Good synopsis, John. You are much more up to speed on our minor leagues system than me.

I still say Parra should be the target. His line to date:

.313, .348, .500, .848 with 9 bombs and 30 RBI. And he is a plus defender who plays all OF spots. Fucking A…get it done, SabEvans. You get Parra and Pagan can go to the DL and get healthy.

• Lisle Ellis said, on July 21, 2015 at 10:14 am

I really, really like this Parra idea Chi but what are we gonna have to give up to get him? I liked Zum’s semi tongue in cheek suggestion the other night of dangling Cain out there … thought that was pretty avant garde!

• Bozo said, on July 21, 2015 at 10:49 am

I see Parra as another lead off hitter, which I don’t think we need. IMO, Blanco is fine in CF if Pagan’s knees need a break (no pun intended). I wouldn’t mind more pop on the bench (Maxwell hasn’t really been a major threat), so a corner OFer would be more to my liking.

With only three games into his season, I sure haven’t given up on Cain or his surgically repaired arm yet. And, at $20 mil a year and coming off of arm surgery, Matt probably isn’t getting a lot of attention from other clubs.

• chipower9 said, on July 21, 2015 at 11:46 am

I do not fully disagree with you, John, but a corner OFer with pop is going to cost a whole lot more. I think Parra can be had for relatively cheap, and provides much more flexibility than a pure power guy.I think he is much more a fit for Bochy and the Giants than a pure power corner OFer would be.

And Parra is not just a CFer or lead-off guy.

Position breakdown:

LF – 397/333 (games/starts)
        RF – 321/278
        CF – 174/141

Batting order, number of games started:

1 – 189
        2 – 134
        3 – 26
        4 – 3
        5 – 39
        6 – 102
        7 – 137
        8 – 177

Parra is a better all-around player than Blanco. I would rather have Parra in there on most days (while Pagan is on the DL) than Blanco. I am still of the school of thought that I like Blanco better as a 4th OFer.

• Bozo said, on July 21, 2015 at 12:23 pm

Sorry Chi, I know you really dig the guy and he has gotten really hot (which I think will create a bit of a bidding war, whatever), but I don’t see Parra as all that different from Blanco, who can also play all the OF positions. Nothing wrong with that, it just seems a bit redundant to me. Hey, if they get him and he can helps us out, great, but right now I’m just lukewarm to the idea. But, I could be dead ass wrong once again, so there is that.

• chipower9 said, on July 21, 2015 at 1:13 pm

All good, Clown. I respect your opinion as much as just about anyone on the blog. I can see your points about Parra and Blanco being cut from the same piece of cloth, but I just think he is the type of player that fits the Giant’s blueprint really well. They are similar, but I think overall, Parra is a better player. Just my opionion…we all have them.

5. chipower9 said, on July 21, 2015 at 10:08 am

Good read from FanGraphs on the youngsters in our IF, with focus on DuffMan.

6. chipower9 said, on July 21, 2015 at 10:11 am

The case against Bonds is OVER! And it is ABOUT FUCKING TIME!

• Lurker John said, on July 21, 2015 at 11:37 am

It is about time. Dragging this bullshit on for 10 years at tax payer expense is the height of stupidity and goverment overreach. Pathetic.

• chipower9 said, on July 21, 2015 at 11:47 am

Yep…all those tax dollars wasted. Total bullshit. Well, at least it is over.

7. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 21, 2015 at 10:14 am

SP is the issue as Big Flavor says in the lead. Save the prospects for a starting pitcher. Maybe even sell high on Kontos before his arm explodes. Once Aoki returns I don’t think the club needs to worry about the OF. DL Pagan. Aoki (LF), Blanco (CF), Pence (RF) is a good defensive outfield that hits. You can live with Blanco down the LU and Maxwell off the bench. Bring up someone from the farm to fill out the last OF spot. In other words. Juan Perez come on down!

All of the recent news on Lincecum highlights the one thing I really don’t like about the front office. They slow trickle news on players, don’t get any real questioning from the local media and then boom the rumor is truth. I don’t know how many of you listen to the KNBR morning show but this latest health issue started with Krukow planting the seed last week saying Lincecum isn’t healthy yadda, yadda and now the local shit stirrer Kawakami has the slow goodbye article at the Merc. Personally I think have no issue with the club moving on from Lincecum but watching Hudson last night makes me wonder which of the two it really ought to be. It’s just bush league the way the front office handles this kind of thing. What’s next? Lincecum the tax evader?

• blade3colorado said, on July 21, 2015 at 10:58 am

Down with what you wrote. Pitching, pitching, pitching (evoking the old real estate maxim about location). As I have said twice in the last month, we have Bum and Heston (a rookie) and 3 #5s. Ugh.

Hitting is not our problem. Also, the outfield is fine and will be better when Aoki gets back.

Bullpen will GET WORSE if we keep overusing them . . . which brings us back to numero uno problem – our starting pitching. However, I’m not going to speculate on a trade(s), minor league callups, etc., because the possibilities are infinite.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 21, 2015 at 11:09 am

I was just throwing Perez out there because its a very Sabesy decision but really its the 5th outfielder. Maybe they give Lollis another shot. Who knows? With Posey pushing Belt to LF on occasion the OF is a non issue imo. Belt is the one to benefit the most from Susac going down. I think its a bad move to trade him but he’s not long for the club.

• chipower9 said, on July 21, 2015 at 11:52 am

Well, there is no guarantee that Aoki will come back and produce the way he has, and if Pagan went on the DL, no guarantee he would return, or produce. For that reason, I still like Parra and feel he can had without bankrupting the minor leagues. And it strengthens the bench. Perez? Fuck no…been there, done that. With Parra, you have Aoki, Parra, and Pence, and Blanco and Maxwell on the bench. If and when Pagan returns, you have Pagan, Parra, and Blanco to mix and match.

I just don’t see the team getting a good SP withoug giving up a whole lot. I am sticking with my guns and hoping for Parra as the first piece to be added.

• Bozo said, on July 21, 2015 at 11:05 am

Getting a dig in for Dusty, I like it.

Not saying your wrong on Timmy or management’s plan for him, but I don’t think management or the medical staff can release medical information to the public without the consent of the player. So I’m not sure on this one, For some time I’ve wondered why he seems to press on his hips often after he throws, others have mentioned it as well, so this one might be legit. I don’t know.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 21, 2015 at 11:15 am

Yeah, I always liked Dusty. My brother played youth sports with one of his brothers back in the day. I remember Dusty showing up to a flag football game in a limo one morning and getting swarmed by all the kids.

I hear you about releasing medical information. I know snarkk has mentioned Lincecum favoring his hip on his follow through and I have noticed it over the last couple of years. He just doesn’t finish pitches like he did. The whole DL move with Lincecum is BS and they’re slow playing the goodbye. Whatever. If they’re going to do it I prefer a clean break but I think he can give you more than Hudson so if it comes down to the two of them jettison the former Oakland/Braves player first.

• Bozo said, on July 21, 2015 at 11:28 am

I agree that if it came down to one of the two Tims, I’d go with Lincecum (if healthy enough to pitch). He could start or come out of the pen, not to mention his history with the team.

8. mrsprtdude said, on July 21, 2015 at 10:21 am

SF going to hid Timmy on the DL all season so they can spare him the embarrassment of being released?

9. willedav said, on July 21, 2015 at 11:31 am

Chuck thx for the vid on T of P. Great tune (lyrics too) trip seeing the Soul Train era threads.
    Big fan of the bari–enjoy jazz guys like Pepper Adams and Ronnie Cuber. Often used in latin bands to balance out trumpet/trombone sections of guys like Eddie Palmieri and Tito Puente. One of my fav bandleaders from PR, timbal player Willie Rosario, has a frontline of 4 trumpets and a bari sax. Great sound.

Previous thread I posted possibility the DMW isn’t Hector, but Pagan. Giants still owe him for next year I do believe. Given what they have seen now for this year (.600 OPS spotty OF play) and last few (a la Lincecum) I don’t think it is far fetched that he might be the next Scut—as in, done, son.

At what point do Giants fully commit to “going in another direction” and figuring out who the next CF will be?
    Are you OK with Blanco/Parra or go after Carlos Gomez Austin Jackson or Denard Span?

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 21, 2015 at 11:38 am

Blanco was good enough for two WS runs so there’s that.

• willedav said, on July 21, 2015 at 11:49 am

Lotta guys posting here used to cringe seeing Blanco in LU every day once Pagan went down last year.
        He got rolling second half and hit .300 with .800 OPS, which is what he is doing now.
        First half last year he hit .220 with .600 OPS, so season ended up right around career numbers, .260 .710 OPS.
        Has he figured stuff out or is this year numbers unsustainable if he plays every day?

• unca_chuck said, on July 21, 2015 at 11:50 am

Sort of . . .

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 21, 2015 at 11:52 am

Blanco is a huge defensive improvement over Pagan. He’s perfectly fine if he hits down in the order. I don’t think it is a good idea when he’s plugged into the lead off spot.

• chipower9 said, on July 21, 2015 at 12:00 pm

Yes. Team is on the hook for 10 mil to Pagan next year.

I don’t think Blanco’s numbers are sustainable over the long haul, playing every day. That is why I have always said I prefer to see him as a 4th OFer.

Parra’s and Blanco’s lifetime numbers are close, and both have been in the majors for 7 years. Where Parra has the advantage is in SLG (.405 to .352). Blanco has a slightly better OBP.

Parra has 51 lifetime HRs to 18 for Blanco. Parra also has quite a few more RBIs. Both are plus defenders.

So, all things considered, I would still love to see the team get Parra.

• Flavor said, on July 21, 2015 at 12:11 pm

Parra has played his entire career in 2 parks that are about as hitter friendly as they get. His numbers would crash at AT&T, probably well below Blanco’s

10. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 21, 2015 at 12:07 pm

Chi, I may be wrong but it seems like you like Parra and want the club to get him. Sabean is so predictable with his moves and Parra has been in the Giants rumor mill for years so I wouldn’t be surprised to see it happen but why make a trade to fill a nonexistent need with basically the same player you already have in house?

The Giants don’t need another outfielder in the mix. They need starting pitching. Give up Beede to get it if they have to. Dude is the typical Sabean trade groomed arm with the physical tools and hype but missing that one thing. Results. He would be with the big club already if they thought he had a future.

• blade3colorado said, on July 21, 2015 at 12:42 pm

Again, good points Dirt (Flavor too). I can live with our outfield, but our pitching is worrisome IMO.

• chipower9 said, on July 21, 2015 at 1:17 pm

All good points (Dirt, Craig, and Blade). Parra may crash playing half of his games in ATT, but I would roll the dice on that if he could be had cheaply. And if they can get a solid starter without giving up a ton…giddy up. If Aoki returns on Friday and begins tearing it up as he was prior to the injury, then I can certainly see less of a need for another OFer.

11. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 21, 2015 at 1:24 pm

Pencil Neck Rosenthal says the White Sox are shopping Samardzija (another player Sabean has been interested in before). His numbers this year aren’t far off his career averages. Maybe he’d like pitching in SF.

• blade3colorado said, on July 21, 2015 at 2:39 pm

“Pencil Neck.” My grandfather and I would watch wrestling on channel 2 (KTVU?) and the absolute best part would be Walt Harris interviewing Ray Stevens . . . Typical classic Stevens comment goes something like this, “I’m going to kill that pencil neck Pepper Gomez and send him back to Tijuana in a box.” Hilarious.

• unca_chuck said, on July 21, 2015 at 3:13 pm

I just loved the interviews with Rosenthal and Bummie. It looked like Bummie was going to pick up lil Ken and stuff him into his back pocket. It looked like Ken was 4’2″.

12. Flavor said, on July 21, 2015 at 3:24 pm

Henry Schulman ‏@hankschulman 28m28 minutes ago
    To best of my knowledge, #sfgiants are NOT looking for a starting outfielder.

13. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 21, 2015 at 3:34 pm

haha, blade. When I was young I spent a lot of time with my great grandfather and “Pencil Neck!” was a favorite of his. He used “Scottamooch!” (sp) a lot too but I never understood the context or meaning. I can’t seem to find that one on the interwebs.

14. unca_chuck said, on July 21, 2015 at 4:16 pm

Scaramouche Scaramouche, will you do the fandango?

• snarkk said, on July 21, 2015 at 9:55 pm

Didn’t take you for a Queen fan, Chuck…

15. alleykat69 said, on July 21, 2015 at 4:18 pm

Speaking of Schulman, does anyone think he could be Ray Ratto’s brother?

• unca_chuck said, on July 21, 2015 at 4:25 pm

Ratto’s brothers float around my toilet bowl.

• Lisle Ellis said, on July 21, 2015 at 4:53 pm

Oh come on Chuck! … please, you gotta warn me if your gonna say stuff like that … I just soiled myself!

16. zumiee said, on July 21, 2015 at 5:10 pm

The Dodgers have problems past their first two starting pitchers, too. Anderson just got knocked out of the game in the 3rd inning.

• Flavor said, on July 21, 2015 at 5:32 pm

he’s probably hurt again

17. Flavor said, on July 21, 2015 at 7:11 pm

Most teams hammer this guy. We diddled him out of the game last time, mostly by a lucky hit from Blanco. One time, can we crush a guy that other teams crush? ONE TIME?????????

18. Bozo said, on July 21, 2015 at 7:29 pm

With the TStorms going through this area right now and the Pinball Wizard catching, I’m probably not going to last long tonight. But man, I’d sure like to get a win here.

• Flavor said, on July 21, 2015 at 7:30 pm

hang in there clown! This W is guaranteed!

• Bozo said, on July 21, 2015 at 7:32 pm

Yeah, you right!

19. Flavor said, on July 21, 2015 at 7:29 pm

yes, yes yes

20. djloo27 said, on July 21, 2015 at 7:30 pm

The Great Eight!

21. chipower9 said, on July 21, 2015 at 7:30 pm

The Reverend with some old time religion!

22. Bozo said, on July 21, 2015 at 7:31 pm

Well, well, well. That is Mr. Pence going deep.

23. Flavor said, on July 21, 2015 at 7:31 pm

I don’t know about you guys, but I don’t want my first baseman to have “the magic wandu”. I want him to hit the fucking shit out of the ball……

• chipower9 said, on July 21, 2015 at 7:34 pm

Unfortunately, that is probably not happening with BB9.

• Bozo said, on July 21, 2015 at 7:37 pm

Now that cracked me up.

24. chipower9 said, on July 21, 2015 at 7:32 pm

Make it crooked!

25. Bozo said, on July 21, 2015 at 7:39 pm

The Magic Wandu, lives to see another pitch.

26. djloo27 said, on July 21, 2015 at 7:44 pm

Current Major Leaguers named Oridisamer: 1
    Current Major Leaguers named Willie: 1

27. xoot said, on July 21, 2015 at 7:44 pm

Big Foot Belt legged it out to 3B, surprising Kemp, and scored as a result. Good hustle.
    Notice how Kuiper pronounces “Norris”? He has trouble with it and sometimes says “Norse.” Yet for an entire season he called Morse “Morris.” No big deal, but still. Maybe he could use a hypnotist elocution coach.

• djloo27 said, on July 21, 2015 at 7:59 pm

Could be a mid-west thing…

• chipower9 said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:05 pm

Wisconsin thang, I believe.

• xoot said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:09 pm

So if Morse’s name was Morris he would’ve mispronounced that? that’s definitely a thang

• Lurker John said, on July 21, 2015 at 9:11 pm

Well hell, Joe Morgan went years calling Eddie Murray ‘Eddie Merry.’ Joe just couldn’t nail the Murray. lol

28. djloo27 said, on July 21, 2015 at 7:55 pm

Elocutionist won the ’76 Preakness…

• xoot said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:12 pm

ever hear that phony commercial for the Joe Louis School of Elocution? Pretty funny if you’re not easily offended.

29. Bozo said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:00 pm

Double for the Duffster.

30. Flavor said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:02 pm

Hey! Belt got another walk! Bump that OPS up! Once again, leaving it to others to drive runs in….

• djloo27 said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:04 pm

And wisely so!!!

31. chipower9 said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:04 pm

MudBug…fuck yeah!

32. Flavor said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:04 pm

and there ya go! Belt’s RC+ and OPS goes up for doing nothing other than taking a walk and standing there. Meanwhile, Crawford does the dirty work!!!!!!!!

33. Bozo said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:05 pm

The Magic Wandu takes his size 15s for a walk.

34. giants54 said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:05 pm

Pitch Crawford hits out, Belt would take.

• Flavor said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:06 pm

abso-fucking-lutely.

• chipower9 said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:07 pm

And again, I say “Trade Belt!”

• willedav said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:19 pm

ridiculous.

And btw, for flav, taking the walk, keeping the guy in the stretch, continuing the inning accounts for another run.
      Why any of that bothers someone, I dunno.

• Flavor said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:28 pm

have someone other than your first baseman do that. Position does matter, despite what you Belt-apologists say……

35. alleykat69 said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:06 pm

Crawdaddy!!!
    Take that Despaigne up yours!!

36. Macdog said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:06 pm

B Craw does it all!

37. Bozo said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:07 pm

Wait Craw has been up? My feed is that late? Fuck this.

• chipower9 said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:08 pm

Have another cocktail, John. Make it a double. 😉

• Bozo said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:12 pm

Seriously Chuck, I’m watching Belt get walked and y’all are talking about Crawford.
        I think I’ll finish this cocktail and let the game play out in your time zone, mine seems to be on some sort of delay. Is it still 5 – 0?

• chipower9 said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:17 pm

You must be on the Martian feed. Yep, still 5 zip. Drinking anything g good, Clown?

38. chipower9 said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:10 pm

Where the fuck was that first pitch!? Ump is drunk in one eye, and blind in the other.

39. Flavor said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:10 pm

ya’ll that support Belt, you can have him. I’ll take the guys that do shit over the guys that take walks and pitches. I’m done with this dude until he starts acting like a corner infielder……

• chipower9 said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:15 pm

Hey, he hits an occasional double….

• Flavor said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:20 pm

awesome. Every starting playing in baseball does that. I’m done with him passively watching pitches, sometimes walking, other times striking out while looking incredulously at the ump. Go pitch if you want to have no expectations as a hitter……

• Lurker John said, on July 21, 2015 at 9:13 pm

Thank you!

40. Flavor said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:14 pm

Boo hoo. at least he walked to first without making a deal out of it, I respect that.

41. djloo27 said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:16 pm

If I were Heston, I wouldn’t dig in at the plate…

42. djloo27 said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:19 pm

Despaigne shoulda buzzed Heston. Betcha Kemp’s pissed…

• Flavor said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:21 pm

that would spice this game up

43. pawliekokonuts said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:21 pm

I agree what you posted up top about the starters, but not the ‘pen. I see the ‘pen being transformed before our eyes, into a new mix with more youth, new roles. But the starters. Yeah. Tissue-paper thin. Here’s a tissue for your issue.

44. Flavor said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:22 pm

heard you can spell San Diego Padres out of this dudes name. DIdn’t try to do it, just heard it could be done.

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:23 pm

and I heard the Red Sox can spell Losers with the name of their third baseman…

45. pawliekokonuts said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:22 pm

The Cuban Alphabet. That just knocks me out, as Holden Caulfield might say.

• djloo27 said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:26 pm

That was darn good…

46. pawliekokonuts said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:25 pm

Phils lost. I was hoping they’d win 30 straight. To reach .500.

47. Flavor said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:26 pm

Pawlie you’re firing off gold right now……

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:35 pm

tnx….you know me, AWOL for a stretch, then go on a rip-roaring binge….[say no more]

48. giants54 said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:30 pm

Heston Hector working well together

49. Flavor said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:32 pm

Hest-by-Hest tossing another no-no. Of course he is. Somewhere TImmy is trying to shimmy that cortisone hard, rekindle the magic……..

50. Flavor said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:35 pm

well he can’t wait a walk out here, let’s see what he does. Work maybe? Actual work? DO SOMETHING BELT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Or just fuck it and let someone else do it, as usual…….

• Carstie Clausen said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:48 pm

Slow down Flav. He scored two of the first 5 runs in the game.

51. ewisco said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:35 pm

heston, no-no through five? if the guy could quit hitting folks he might be a decent pitcher in this league.

52. pawliekokonuts said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:36 pm

I’m turning the game on. Just came home a little while ago, from Third-World Orangecuse Orphanage Laundromat. Always an urban delight.

• djloo27 said, on July 21, 2015 at 9:01 pm

I highly recommend Febreze scented Bounce in the dryer…

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 21, 2015 at 9:32 pm

The history of Febreze is rather interesting. Proctor & Gamble couldn’t sell it originally. Took a whole new marketing twist. (I’m reading The Power of Habit, which chronicles this).

53. Flavor said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:38 pm

at least he made it to 4 pitches. And he caught his falling hat. Other than that…..

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:49 pm

Rich Aurilia just tweeted he never ever recalled losing his helmet on a swing.

54. Flavor said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:39 pm

FUCK BRANDON BELT. There, it’s been said….

55. djloo27 said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:44 pm

Holy shit!!!

56. wilcojoe said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:46 pm

Classless move by Thayer throwing his gum at Sanchez.

57. xoot said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:46 pm

Somewhere Lincecum is trying to figure out if the athleticism that fueled his meteoric success can somehow, after repairs, support the second half of a great career. If not, he’s still the guy who pulled the Giants out of 2007 and into 2010.

58. Carstie Clausen said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:47 pm

That Salami by Hector may be seen to have been the crowning achievement of his career.

59. Macdog said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:48 pm

I hope Hector will be able to remember this.

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:50 pm

That’s both funny and sad and true. (Wait. How can ‘both’ apply to three alternatives?)

• wilcojoe said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:51 pm

Gold!

60. chipower9 said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:51 pm

Fucking dead quail off a broken bat…

61. djloo27 said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:51 pm

Once again the fluky meaninglessness of a no-hitter is proven…

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:52 pm

exactly . . . takes more than a bit o’ luck

62. pawliekokonuts said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:52 pm

Larry Baer introduced me to Pam and his kids at Finnerty’s, January 2011. Macdog was there. I’m sure they instantly forgot me. Maybe sooner.

• Macdog said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:53 pm

I think it was the 2013 one?

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:57 pm

DP!!! You know, you’re right, because he said, “World Serious. My kids say that.” Good catch.

63. wilcojoe said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:57 pm

I have to admit, I think that is the first time I have ever seen Baer’s wife. At first glance, I thought it was a dude so I had to google image her. She looks like she could be his twin brother. It must be the nose.

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 21, 2015 at 9:00 pm

well, they say spouses always sorta look alike…I’ll let all the anthroplogists, or the late Margaret Mead, chime in.

• alleykat69 said, on July 21, 2015 at 9:03 pm

WJ,
      LMAO,
      She makes Bruce Katlin Jenner look good..

64. pawliekokonuts said, on July 21, 2015 at 8:59 pm

The fecking Coors commercial on MLB oozes with self-serious, unctuous, pompous bullshit. Phuckyew, Coors.

65. pawliekokonuts said, on July 21, 2015 at 9:02 pm

Hey, Pablito, how have your Beaneaters fared since the All-Star Game?

66. wilcojoe said, on July 21, 2015 at 9:03 pm

Speaking of Larry Baer, I always thought he resembled the late actor Vincent Schiavelli.

• djloo27 said, on July 21, 2015 at 9:04 pm

That’s no compliment, WJ…

67. djloo27 said, on July 21, 2015 at 9:04 pm

They should bring in Posey to give Hector a break from catching.

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 21, 2015 at 9:12 pm

Hey, Loo. No more Stamford. Or not likely, for me. Moved Mom up here.

Tony Altomare, RIP. (The Stamford Stomper).

68. xoot said, on July 21, 2015 at 9:05 pm

The pods have another complex player name: “Best baseball anagrams ever: MT @HighHeatStats: Yangervis Solarte: Groan assertively Several gyrations Antislavery ogres Salivary estrogen.”

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 21, 2015 at 9:08 pm

laughing my anagram off [LMAO]

• unca_chuck said, on July 21, 2015 at 9:16 pm

Try that with Mel Ott

Mottle

Elm tot

• xoot said, on July 21, 2015 at 9:33 pm

Robb Nen?

69. pawliekokonuts said, on July 21, 2015 at 9:09 pm

I still think there’s a 68.33% chance of a fight in this game.

70. pawliekokonuts said, on July 21, 2015 at 9:14 pm

Why would Gyorko’s family insist on Jerko as the correct pronunciation? Tell me. Why? (Slovak name, like mine.) But c’mon.

• Lurker John said, on July 21, 2015 at 9:17 pm

LOL

• djloo27 said, on July 21, 2015 at 9:19 pm

I remember hoping this guy would make the NBA:

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 21, 2015 at 9:24 pm

maybe his people pronounced it FOO-kah, or fih-KAH

71. pawliekokonuts said, on July 21, 2015 at 9:15 pm

Hey, Magnus, just cut me off whenever you gotta.

• Lurker John said, on July 21, 2015 at 9:18 pm

Keep ’em coming, pawlie, that last one was gold.

72. Lurker John said, on July 21, 2015 at 9:17 pm

It’s about time we laid a beat-down on these fucks in their yard. Stay hot Crawfish!

73. Lurker John said, on July 21, 2015 at 9:20 pm

News flash: NBA players name James Harden MVP over Steph! WAAAAAAAHHH!

74. Lurker John said, on July 21, 2015 at 9:22 pm

Moses has been nothing short of a revelation this year. He gets his 10th win tonight, barring an epic collapse.

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 21, 2015 at 9:33 pm

as long as the wheels stay on his chariot, he’s good

75. djloo27 said, on July 21, 2015 at 9:26 pm

The whole division is losing tonight.

76. pawliekokonuts said, on July 21, 2015 at 9:33 pm

Maxwell LOOKS like a baseball star.

• snarkk said, on July 21, 2015 at 10:30 pm

Wish he’d PLAY like one…

77. pawliekokonuts said, on July 21, 2015 at 9:40 pm

(Called it.) Arias being peacemaker like Willie Mays to Roseboro / Marichal.

78. pawliekokonuts said, on July 21, 2015 at 9:41 pm

Am I childish or immoral to be slightly disappointed there was no fight?

79. unca_chuck said, on July 21, 2015 at 9:52 pm

Well, don’t know wtf Kelly is barking at. He’s another little padre bitch.

Fuck these guys. They walked Blanco to get to Hector. He can flip his bat. Kelly had 3 shots to drill him and didn’t. Total puss move.

80. unca_chuck said, on July 21, 2015 at 9:55 pm

Visit to he mound brought to you by ring central?

81. snarkk said, on July 21, 2015 at 10:02 pm

Can we clone Heston 3X, and call it a playoff run?…

82. snarkk said, on July 21, 2015 at 10:29 pm

I can do without this stupid “don’t show me up” BS. Hector flipped his bat a little. A little. Big deal. The pitcher throws gum at him? Then they try to hit him his next AB? Total bush league. A bat flip is taboo, yet the ubiquitous crazy, over-the-top walk off celebration is NOT the subject of retaliation the next day? I don’t get it…

83. James said, on July 21, 2015 at 10:52 pm

Missed a few days with my daughter finally back from a couple years of adventure in South America and, hey, the Belt ragging is still going on! Excellent.

Here are some Belt stats coming into the game tonight:

Runners on base while he is batting: 204, Avg Runners on base with 333 PAS:195
    Runners in Scoring Position: Avg. .311 OBP .369 . SP 473 OPS .842

Here are Duffy’s:
    Runners on base: 214, Avg Runners on base with 302 PAs:177
    Runners in Scoring Position: .355 .405 .500 .905

Crawford’s

Runners on base: 232, Avg Runners on base with 350 PAs:204
    Runners in Scoring Position: ..333 .400 .529 .929

RBIs are an effect, an outgrowth of more fundamental stats. Both Duffy and Crawford have benefitted from having a lot of runners on base, they’ve hit extraordinarily well with RISP so far this year, and they are having really fine seasons in general.

Hitting with RISP is not a talent, and RBIs measure absolutely nothing intrinsic about a player’s offensive play that isn’t captured in OPS. Take a look at any player’s stats over a few seasons or career and you’ll see that the RISP numbers are basically the same as their overall stats.

• zumiee said, on July 21, 2015 at 11:08 pm

• chipower9 said, on July 22, 2015 at 8:12 am

LMAO…I am with ya on this one, Evan!

84. ewisco said, on July 22, 2015 at 6:56 am

Hector to flav: I’m not quite dead yet.