Gum Throwing Pussy

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 22, 2015

Kinda glad last night unfolded the way it did. I needed a reason to start hating the Padres. My favorite part of the night was the “Let’s go Giants” chant that broke out in their yard during the clearing of the benches. And nothing quite says “I’m a huge pussy” than being a grown man and throwing your gum at another grown man who isn’t even looking at you……

I’m happy for Sanchez, after all he’s been through, that must have felt awesome…..

1. zumiee said, on July 23, 2015 at 6:58 pm

No Giants game tonight. There’s time for some walking to get some exercise.

• xoot said, on July 23, 2015 at 9:04 pm

yeah!

2. djloo27 said, on July 23, 2015 at 7:08 pm

Greinke left the team to be there for the birth of his child. Probably miss the Met series…

3. unca_chuck said, on July 23, 2015 at 7:26 pm

AK, when I was a kid (around 10) I saw an Astros game, and this old timer type behind me said, “watch the Astros centerfielder. His name is Jimmy Wynn. The Toy Cannon.” As a kid, who couldn’t love the nickname?

Giants has a 7-2 lead that they ended up blowing no thanks to Wynn. He had a 2 run homer or something. But I always liked the guy after that.

• djloo27 said, on July 23, 2015 at 8:44 pm

I think you dreamt this.

4. unca_chuck said, on July 23, 2015 at 7:27 pm

Love that fricking Abbey Road thing. Never seen that before.

• snarkk said, on July 23, 2015 at 8:59 pm

Aren’t they going the wrong way compared to the album cover?

• chipower9 said, on July 24, 2015 at 7:58 am

Me, too. One of my favorite Beatle’s albums. And nope…same direction as the album cover.

5. James said, on July 23, 2015 at 8:12 pm

The Brandon Belt Guide to Hitting:

• zumiee said, on July 23, 2015 at 9:01 pm

Good find! I actually read this book as a kid in elementary school, and I still remember the basic plot of the book. I take it that you read it, too? The boy had an amazing talent to foul pitches off and he walks every time up that season.
      Then, in the big city championship game or whatever, in the bottom of the ninth, in a tie game, with two outs and no one on, or maybe a runner on second or third, he finally tries to hit a ball fair, but he’s having a hard time doing it, but
      SPOILER ALERT…..

he finally hits a ball over the fence, barely fair, and it’s the game-winning HR. So he ends the season 1 for 1, with dozens of walks, with a batting average of 1.000, or as we say, 1,000.

• James said, on July 23, 2015 at 9:22 pm

Yep, I think I may have read it before I became a fan. It’s such a great conceit.

6. willedav said, on July 23, 2015 at 8:17 pm

Don’t forget J R Richard, man was he tough.

So the Beane report card looks like this:
    2014 he had team in the WC playoff, with a lead late in the game vs. the eventual AL Champs, who played a very exciting WS down to the final out and….decided to play evil genius and blow it up, trading away a player acknowledged among top position players for WAR in all of baseball even though he wasn’t an FA, along with letting a few others that were walk, and his bottom line for this is dead last in his division 2015.
    So now he has started a fire sale and given up on this season entirely, trading his second best SP for guys one step above Single A ball, with more to come. How can anyone possibly be a fan of these guys?

7. James said, on July 23, 2015 at 8:20 pm

Quiz: What would the OPS of the Beatles be if all they did was walk?

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 23, 2015 at 8:39 pm

9 number 9 number 9.

• James said, on July 23, 2015 at 9:26 pm

Sooooo very close!

Lurker John may be interested in this: If their OPS was in fact 999 and all they did was walk in every PA except to make the requisite 27 or 24 outs to complete a game, it would mean that in every game the Beatles would walk either 27,000 or 24,000 times. That is some serious offensive firepower! In the 9 inning games, the Beatles would score 750 runs an inning or 6750 runs a game — a hell of a lot of RBIs.

But here’s where it gets interesting: imagine if they played a team of 9 Paul Goldschmidts, he of the 1059 OPS. Without doing the math, it is clear The Goldy’s would be hard pressed to deliver Beatles level run production, despite a *higher OPS*.

• djloo27 said, on July 23, 2015 at 9:40 pm

And on that note:

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 23, 2015 at 8:56 pm

Just caught up on your Basketball Diaries, James, and the exchange with Magnus last night. Did you engage her at all? I would’ve. Somehow. And, Blade, he’d be taking her to Siam and back.

• James said, on July 23, 2015 at 9:32 pm

Mrs. James would not have been down with that Pawlie, even though I’ll admit hitting 5 free throws in a row for her just doesn’t quite produce the same . . . frisson. Maybe if the vixen mom had a Giants logo emblazoned on her beekeepers mask . . . . 🙂

8. xoot said, on July 23, 2015 at 9:06 pm

most entertaining, most likable AL team? Houston. Nobody else is even close.

• chipower9 said, on July 24, 2015 at 8:13 am

Yep. Now this would not have been the case a few years back. But I sure like their make-up and direction now.

9. snarkk said, on July 23, 2015 at 9:25 pm

I was mulling over the Giants needs, and prioritizing. Starter? Pen arm that can get Righties and Lefties out? OFer? A bench/utility guy?
    I settled on bench/utility. This bench suxx. Adrianza? When’s the last time Arias played a full game — is he doing anything other than carrying suitcases to/from the bus and hotel? Maxwell is an OFer, but he’s part of the bench. Blanco is the only bench dude that’s played at least half ass this year. Better than I would have expected. But, give me a bench guy that can play a few positions, and can hit a lick. Please…

• chipower9 said, on July 24, 2015 at 8:17 am

Sounds like Zobrist to me. He can play the IF or OF. Only making 7.5 this year, so basically has half of that left. FA next year…seems like a quality inexpensive rental. His stats are not great this year, but if he could be had for a few minor leaguers…giddy the fuck up.

10. snarkk said, on July 23, 2015 at 9:47 pm

No surprise the A’s traded Kazmir. Zobrist will go soon. I don’t know whether to admire A’s fans for their patience, or rip them for stupidity to stay fans of that team. All about the future, but the future never comes…

• snarkk said, on July 23, 2015 at 9:58 pm

And WTF is Beane doing trading within his own division? He won’t trade with Sabean, but he’ll fortify division competition with a good arm? That’s nutz…

11. willedav said, on July 24, 2015 at 7:14 am

Snarkk, when the future comes Beane gives it away. Donaldson was a fan fave and top 3b in all baseball; the kid SS Russell was a top 5 prospect he traded for an expensive rental (samardz) he never intended to keep; Russell’s replacement Semien has made 28 errors already at SS; he dumped a power hitting OF and fan fave Cespedes for another rental (lester) he never intended to keep—list goes on and on.

He had a team last year that was 5th best in entire league–his team, and he built it himself, is 5th in his own division. Outside of Gray and Vogt, there’s nothing to root for.

Like him or not, lucky or good, Sabean has built a continued winner, while Beane continues to make teams of,
    Castles made of sand
    Melt into the sea
    Eventually

12. unca_chuck said, on July 24, 2015 at 9:18 am

Shit, Cespedes, for all his clubhouse foibles, was loved by the fan base. Donaldson was a major head scratcher as well. Like Beane was trying like hell to fix something that wasn’t broken.

Beane gets all the accolades for being a genius, and sure, it’s tough to win in a shitty stadium with owners who are actively driving off what is left of the fan base, but Christ, the moves for a future that never comes is insanity.

Love the Hendrix quote, Willie . . . One of my favorite songs.