A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Broom Time

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 26, 2015

If Huddy can’t cobble together a productive start today, I don’t know where we are with him. Either way, a sweep of the A’s is looming.

Casilla is frustrating, but what closer isn’t? They all walk the tight rope. End of the day, he usually gets the job done.

Thanks for the kind words about the videos I posted. I figured you “out of towners” would enjoy.

1. pawliekokonuts said, on July 26, 2015 at 7:24 pm

I still stubbornly insist that Pedro Martinez is marginal at best for HOF. Maybe part of my reasoning is that Marichal is THE Dominican man, not Pedro. No comparison. At all. Biggio. As a knowlegeable fan I know (my brother) said with some hyperbole, “Who the hell is he? Never heard of him.” I think if your numbers are merely longevity-driven “compiler” numbers (Don Sutton is another compiler, and arguably Gaylord Perry, too), you should at least have been dominant in your era. That’s Pedro’s ticket, I guess, and was certainly Koufax’s. But if 3,000 hits is a gateway for Biggio, then whatever happened to 300 wins for a pitcher? That used to be an unwritten rule about HOF pitchers, I thought. Because Bob Lemon fell short of that, it kept him out for a long time. (I mistakenly thought he was at 299 wins. Nope. 207. Way to go, Huddy, to notch 220 today. But there goes my 300 wins theory out the window.)

• zumiee said, on July 26, 2015 at 8:12 pm

3 Cy Youngs and a World Series ring helped his cause.
      And there may never be another 300 game winner. Pitchers don’t pitch deep enough into games on a regular basis anymore. Kershaw won’t get close to 300 wins.

2. djloo27 said, on July 26, 2015 at 8:11 pm

Never heard anyone complain about Drysdale as a HOFer. What’s so great?

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 26, 2015 at 8:20 pm

167 CG, 49 shutouts…..those days are gone, too.
      But weak winning percentage.

• zumiee said, on July 26, 2015 at 8:29 pm

The 3-in-7 weighed big with the voters.

• zumiee said, on July 26, 2015 at 8:30 pm

For Drysdale.

• snarkk said, on July 26, 2015 at 8:37 pm

With his stats compared to Drysdale, Hudson is certainly qualified to be HOFer. And, I would have no problem if he did get in. IMO at last 5 players should get into the HOF every year, siimilar to what the NFL does. Five out of the thousands that have played the game over the last rolling 10 years is not a big number. The problem, of many, with the HOF today is that many of the dudes that are in want to pull the ladder up after they’re in — to keep the club as small as possible. That’s nonsense to me…

3. zumiee said, on July 26, 2015 at 8:35 pm

The one bright spot for the Red Sox this season: the rookie starting pitcher that pitched tonight, Eduardo Rodriguez. He looks legit.

• zumiee said, on July 26, 2015 at 8:37 pm

He’s 6-3, with an ERA of 4+, mainly from one real bad game.

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 26, 2015 at 8:41 pm

One real bad and another fairly bad start, I recall; too early to say, in my view. (But I did not ever actually watch him.)

4. pawliekokonuts said, on July 26, 2015 at 8:36 pm

Why did Huddy last only 5 IP today? I guess that’s the new normal.

• snarkk said, on July 26, 2015 at 8:39 pm

80+ pitches, and they were hitting ropes off him at the end. And, he threw a wild pitch letting in a run. Had trouble closing batters out, as per usual. Only one K, I think. More fly ball outs, way more, than ground outs, which is not good for a sinker ball guy. Bochy wasn’t going to risk the 4-3 lead heading into the 6th…

• zumiee said, on July 26, 2015 at 8:40 pm

He wasn’t very good. Bochy did the thing we always wish for: he got the guy out early before the game gets lost.

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 26, 2015 at 8:42 pm

tnx, both of “youse” guys
        gnight

5. djloo27 said, on July 26, 2015 at 8:49 pm

He probably wanted to get him a win vs. Oakland, the only ML team he had never beaten.
    BFD…

6. djloo27 said, on July 26, 2015 at 8:54 pm

I loved Bunning, but he’s another questionable one. The vets committee put him in. I remember him sounding almost annoyed when he was elected. Said something about his stats being exactly the same as they were 20 some years ago…

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 26, 2015 at 9:05 pm

agree; his no-no or perfect game or whatever it was against the Mets was part of it all

7. djloo27 said, on July 26, 2015 at 9:21 pm

Joel Osteen is talking about Jonathan Sanchez pitching a no-hitter in front of his dad!

• zumiee said, on July 26, 2015 at 9:49 pm

• Macdog said, on July 26, 2015 at 10:39 pm

Is he related to Claude?

8. xoot said, on July 26, 2015 at 9:30 pm

flipping around during the Tiger/RSux game I stumbled on a great short documentary, The Wrecking Crew, about the LA session musicians who played behind a million rock hits in the 60s. Check it out.

• snarkk said, on July 26, 2015 at 9:46 pm

I just saw the other day where Glen Campbell says he has Alzheimers. Damn…

• zumiee said, on July 26, 2015 at 9:53 pm

I’ve heard of the Wrecking Crew documentary and want to see it.
      And I think there’s one out about Glen Campbell’s last tour, too.
      I recently saw an excellent documentary about music being used in therapy for people with Altzheimer’s. It has helped some folks recover some lost memories and improve their quality of life a bit.

9. willedav said, on July 27, 2015 at 7:35 am

I believe longevity does count for something, altho Sutton I don’t think is HOF guy. Dominant in your era like Pedro was, and since his era was roid ridden, I think is fine enough. But if you can extend your high level of play for 20 yrs like a Paul Molitor I think HOF well deserved.
    Another reason Bonds should be there—he could still hit in his final season…probably still could today.

That link from Snarkk on ballots, wow what a mess.

10. chipower9 said, on July 27, 2015 at 9:29 am

Great weekend…live local music at a couple of wineries Friday night and Saturday, and then sat on my ass and watched Los Gigantes sweep the Fucking A’s. Hudson makes history and now has a win against every ML team.

And DuffMan continues to improve. Makes me think “Pablo WHO?”

Cool videos from the previous thread, Flav. Saw your photos of the Truckee River…sad sad sad.

Regarding the talk about Glen Campbell, yes he is in the later stages of Alzheimers. Gail and I recently watched the documentary “I’ll Be Me” that was put together by Glen and family to chronicle his last tour. Here is a clip from the description:

“In 2011, music legend Glen Campbell set out on an unprecedented tour across America. They thought it would last 5 weeks instead it went for 151 spectacular sold out shows over a triumphant year and a half across America.”

Great video. I remember hearing Glen Campbell on the stereo in our house (parents were fans). His final show in the video was in Napa, and it was sad…you can see the disease is really getting the best of him. I have been around folks with Alzheimers and it has to be one of the worst diseases, as the people are often in good physical shape, but the brain just wastes away…many times the person not even knowing their family and loved-ones.

Brew-crew today…let’s keep this mojo working. One back of the Fucking Dodgers. Giddy up.

Four in Six! Why not…
    Humm Baby, Let’s Do It Again!

11. unca_chuck said, on July 27, 2015 at 9:53 am

The Stick video is very sad. The there is not there anymore. Insert frowny face.

Biggio was a decent guy who played a long time. Kent had a much stronger presence in his prime. I don’t get how they vote the way they do. I get Koufax as he dominated in a pitcher-crazy era. Short career though. If that’s the criteria , a guy like Dale Murphy to me deserves it more than a Biggio type. Murphy was a beast for a good stretch of his career. A perennial MVP candidate. Or maybe he just beat the fuck out of the Giants all the time.

12. unca_chuck said, on July 27, 2015 at 9:54 am

Did Big Unit go in as a Mariner?

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 27, 2015 at 10:04 am

Diamond Back

• zumiee said, on July 27, 2015 at 10:25 am

The Hall picks which team they go in with, correct? To avoid choices made out of the player’s possible spite.

13. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 27, 2015 at 10:32 am

zum, I think you are right about the HOF choosing. I suppose there is some input from the player. Martinez and Marichal holding the DR flag was pretty cool.

14. unca_chuck said, on July 27, 2015 at 10:36 am

Love the gravatar, Micah!!!! Don;t; know how long it has been there . . .

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 27, 2015 at 10:42 am

Not long, chuck. Only since April 5th.

• chipower9 said, on July 27, 2015 at 11:25 am

Yeah, the gravatars do not show up on my computer here at work. Love the DuffMan logo on the knob of Duffy’s bats. Who needs a fucking Panda when you have the DuffMan!

15. Bozo said, on July 27, 2015 at 10:43 am

Flav, I just had a chance to see your videos. Thanks, man.

Whenever I was going home to SF from the North, I’d get excited by the GG bridge. When I was coming from the East, it was the SF skyline that always got me. Both great vistas and SF all the way. But, coming from the South and seeing the Stick really fired me up. Granted, a majority of those times I was coming home from the airport and that I guess that added to it. But I will miss seeing it the next time I get to SF, it ain’t dere no more.

16. zumiee said, on July 27, 2015 at 11:56 am

As the trade deadline approaches, the Dodgers contemplate their starting rotation. Even with Kershaw and Greinke, they are still somewhat unsettled overall.
    “Brett Anderson hurt his ankle and Zack Greinke had a son, and the result was seven different starting pitchers used by the Dodgers in seven games. The week saw two Dodgers make their first major league starts – Ian Thomas was good, Zach Lee was not.
    The Dodgers have used 14 different starting pitchers this season, their most since 1952.”

17. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 27, 2015 at 12:41 pm

Seeing rumors that the Giants are looking for an ace caliber pitcher. With Cueto off the board that leaves Price and Hamels. Padres shopping Shields too. Do you think he qualifies as ace caliber? What would you give up for any of those 3?

• chipower9 said, on July 27, 2015 at 1:08 pm

Well, if they wanted a truckload of top prospects for Hamels or Price, I would look elsewhere…like Mike Leake of Cincy.

Here is the breakdown on all four:

Shields – 16 mil – 33 years old
      3.37/1.318 (lifetime)
      3.72/1.226 (current)

Hamels – 20 mil – 31 years old
      3.37/1.318 (lifetime)
      3.72/1.226 (current)

Price – 19.75 mil – 29 years old
      3.11/1.137(lifetime)
      2.31/1.09 (current)

Leake – 9.78 mil – 27 years old
      3.90/1.28 (lifetime)
      3.78/1.181(current)

If the plan is to sign the pitcher for a new contract, then cost and age-wise, I like Leake. And his numbers are not that far off from the “ace caliber” pitchers you mentioned.

And I really do not want “Big Game” James. Just that nickname is enough to sour me.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 27, 2015 at 1:12 pm

Agree with you on Shields. Really I would only want to see Hamels or Price.

18. blade3colorado said, on July 27, 2015 at 1:02 pm

IMO, we don’t have the necessary pieces in the minors that would interest teams holding onto Price, Hamels, or Shields. Teams trying to pry someone from our home grown infield are delusional at best, crazy at worse . . . Yes, this would also include Belt (no way, no how is he dealt in the middle of a pennant race). About the only way I see anyone being dealt for those 3 pitchers Dirt, is if Susac is dealt (who is on the DL), along with our best minor league pitcher (fill in the blanks).

• chipower9 said, on July 27, 2015 at 1:09 pm

I agree re: the pieces it would cost, and that is exactly why I suggest Mike Leake.

19. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 27, 2015 at 1:11 pm

Yeah, blade I would agree. They may as well keep Belt around as long as they can. That said, with the infield basically set for at least 2 years (IMO) the front office may be willing to sacrifice in other ways. It will take something like Susac, Arroyo, top level ML pitching (Beede?) just to start. Hamels has the salary to take on so maybe that takes Arroyo off the table.

• zumiee said, on July 27, 2015 at 1:50 pm

I’m OK with Susac, Arroyo, and Beede for Hamels. I don’t know if the Phillies would think that’s enough. Plus the Phillies already got burned trading for a young Giants catcher in the Pence trade.
      Hector would be a good enough back-up catcher for the play-offs, where a back-up catcher rarely plays anyway.

20. Flavor said, on July 27, 2015 at 1:48 pm

new thread

21. unca_chuck said, on July 27, 2015 at 2:01 pm

I heard Jef Samardsfgkjshdf’ in the mix as well. He’s not as expensivo as the others but I’m sure the White Sox want more than table scraps.