We Are Not Getting Cole Hamels

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 28, 2015

The Rumor Mill is churning fast and furious during times like these and I just want it to be over. Too many fake-o rumors and then when something does happen, like Tulo for Reyes, absolutely NO ONE was *rumoring* it.

And then you have teams literally making shit up to jack up the price for players they’re selling off. I don’t think reputable info guys like Ken Rosenthal are out there making things up. But when he tweets out that “the Dodgers, the Astros, the Giants, and the Rangers” are in on “so and so” it’s just him casting the widest net possible and listing off a bunch of teams he reads from the standings.

So the Giants are in on Cole Hamels? Riiiiight. Who are they gonna trade? Susac and Panik? The problem with all the rumors is the reality of them that is long on scarce.

Now watch, about 2 minutes after I hit “publish” on this thread the Giants will have acquired Cole Hamels….

lqtm….

1. blade3colorado said, on July 28, 2015 at 8:55 am

As I said yesterday, I doubt the Giants move Belt this season. However, I found this column interesting, despite not agreeing with its premise of “If Anyone Gets Traded, It’s Brandon Belt.” Besides, it keeps with the “flavor” of Flavor’s thread topic . . . Enjoy!

• chipower9 said, on July 28, 2015 at 9:06 am

Interesting read, Blade…hell, this has been kicked-around on the Flap numerous times.

• blade3colorado said, on July 28, 2015 at 9:11 am

Yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing when I read that line.

Regarding possible trades – that’s what we do at Flap Central. We ruminate on the myriad possibilities of trades – bonehead ones and good ones alike. Ha. 🙂

• chipower9 said, on July 28, 2015 at 9:32 am

Hey, we have to keep Sabean and Evans informed on their possibilities, and give them food for fodder on which particular trade may pan out better than the others. 😉

• Lurker John said, on July 28, 2015 at 12:24 pm

Yup, I got flamed by a couple of different individuals for espousing that particular theory.

2. chipower9 said, on July 28, 2015 at 9:01 am

I always take all this shit with a grain of salt, but seriously, if the Giants could land him with Susac and a few other minor league pieces, I say giddy the fuck up. From a cost control standpoint, he will be cheaper than any of the other ace pitchers who are set to become FAs.

Time will tell. In the meantime, our boys need to kick the living dog shit outta the Brewcrew and get ready for what appears to be a challenging August.

I think August is going to tell us a whole lot about our boys. Road and home series agains the Cards and and Cubbies, and mix in series against the Nats, Bucs, Rangers, and Braves, and the beginning of an away series against the bums…it is time to put up or shut-up. August will probably play a big part in deciding the Giants fate on making the post-season.

3. unca_chuck said, on July 28, 2015 at 9:04 am

Now Sabes is shouting “We aren’t getting Hamels!!”

Yeah, this is the stretch to make hay and hope we can get a on a roll through this tough August coming up.

• chipower9 said, on July 28, 2015 at 9:35 am

88 and 12 to go…

• Irish Kevin said, on July 28, 2015 at 9:58 am

Ha ha I am saving my money Chi!!

• chipower9 said, on July 28, 2015 at 10:12 am

BTW…I think there is a lot of validity in the article you shared. Still early, tho…need to keep on kicking ass.

4. chipower9 said, on July 28, 2015 at 9:10 am

The one that is even more far-fetched IMO, is Chapman. I see that as an even longer-shot than the Giants acquiring a front-line starter.

5. giants54 said, on July 28, 2015 at 9:17 am

Fun to sit back with the 3 titles and watch teams scramble,wild eyed, desperately trying to patch together a championship team. Amazing the G’s pulled it off without doing crazy shit like Hamels and Tulo. Pence notwithstanding, they did it with journeymen, castoffs and a homegrown core.

Hamels does not fit their MO. Sabean doesn’t do bidding wars. I’ll be very very surprised if they go all in for this guy, who has a ton of mileage and has SF on his NO FUCKING THANK YOU list.

6. giants54 said, on July 28, 2015 at 9:27 am

That said, I obviously wouldn’t mind having Hamels in the rotation. Like the balance of another lefty in the rotation, and a guy proven in the PS. But at what cost?

• chipower9 said, on July 28, 2015 at 9:38 am

Agree, 54. I don’t see it happening, but as I mentioned earlier, IF they decide to go get a big name starter, Hamels makes the most sense from a cost-control standpoint. I still would not be adverse to getting Mike Leake, either.

7. wilcojoe said, on July 28, 2015 at 9:41 am

The thing is, our system is so depleted they really don’t have to bid against anybody. Sabevans can just say, this is what we got on the farm, pick any three. Kind of like trick or treating on Halloween. “Hey kid, pick three of anything…now get the hell off my lawn.”

8. wilcojoe said, on July 28, 2015 at 9:48 am

I think someone mentioned Susac, Beede and Arroyo. I actually think that gets it done. If they don’t plan on moving Posey to 1b anytime soon, why the hell not? It seems to me teams are getting better at not parting with their top prospects. That’s the biggest reason, Hamels is still a Phillie. The guy has been on the trading block it seems forever. Eventually, you got to shit or get off the pot. I think this is the week he finally goes. Mark my words, if he doesn’t come to SF, we’re all going to be shocked at how little Phillie gets in return elsewhere.

9. Macdog said, on July 28, 2015 at 9:50 am

I’m not expecting the Giants to get Hamels, I just don’t want to see Dodgers get him — or ABLA: Anyone But LA. And screw him since the Giants are one of his no-trade teams. Hamels was the biggest reason why the Phils didn’t repeat in ’09 — had a mediocre year after partying all offseason, then stunk up the joint in Game 3 of the World Series with the chance to give Philly a 2-1 lead.

10. Macdog said, on July 28, 2015 at 9:58 am

The latest from Jayson Stark on Hamels, including a mention of the Giants’ chances:

11. Flavor said, on July 28, 2015 at 10:03 am

from mlbtr: As for the suitors, we’ve heard of late movement from the Giants as well as from the Astros and Diamondbacks. Stark lists those clubs, along with the Dodgers, Rangers, Cubs, Yankees, and Red Sox, as organizations known to have had ongoing discussions with Philadelphia.

This is a good example of a writer just listing off teams he sees in the standings (regardless of their *standing*)

12. Lisle Ellis said, on July 28, 2015 at 10:07 am

I always find this ‘trade deadline’ stuff disconcerting. As much as I would dearly love to see the Giants plug some holes through acquisitions, I detest seeing wholesale exchanges of rosters. I cannot stomach the “cheering for laundry” concept. And for the most part, the Giants have shown a lot of integrity in their lack of willingness to participate in that idea. Maybe the only exception was the Beltran trade way back when. I offer that one of the reasons we are 3 in 5 is because of the organization’s integrity, sense of respect, and loyalty to the players and fans.

13. xoot said, on July 28, 2015 at 10:08 am

mlbtr channeling Stark now: ” “about half of that group” is participating because the Phillies have sought “to reopen discussion” of names that were previously deemed off limits. And one source says that there’s “nothing happening” with San Francisco, per the report.”

14. Flavor said, on July 28, 2015 at 10:11 am

BlueJays GM just said Tulo is best shortstop in baseball. I’d take Crawford over him in a nano second

• chipower9 said, on July 28, 2015 at 10:22 am

Oh hell yes! Tulo has averaged 114 starts over the past few years. Craw is rarely hurt, and is just reaching his stride and potential. And he is a home-grown local boy.

• Macdog said, on July 28, 2015 at 10:27 am

Yep. More HRs & RBI and just about same OPS despite playing in less-friendlier park for hitters, especially for lefties.

• Lurker John said, on July 28, 2015 at 12:33 pm

Crawfish all the way. He actually stays on the field.

15. xoot said, on July 28, 2015 at 10:15 am

Last year Beano went all in and among others grabbed Lester, Boston’s ace, at the time. Who did the Giants grab? Peavy, Boston’s 1-9 1.4+ WHIPPing boy, at the time. And it worked out. If that’s presage then we’re looking at Leake this year at a bargain rate, and not Hamels or Chapman.

• chipower9 said, on July 28, 2015 at 11:11 am

I have mentioned Leake as a good possibility for the past couple of days.

16. Bozo said, on July 28, 2015 at 10:21 am

Yesterday was the first time the team had it’s planned starting eight on the field, since what, early May? Our weakest link, the Bench, has gotten us through a lot of games with all the injuries but IMO, it’s still our weakest link. Currently our bench is Blanco, Sanchez, Maxwell and Adrianza (who the Giants apparently feel is going to make an outstanding bench coach someday and thats why they sit him there). I have no problems with Blanco, the dude continues to prove people wrong, but the other three…
    A team needs two catchers, today that second string flavor is Hector, I do believe Susac will be an upgrade when he comes back so I’m good there. Maxwell House and Ehire could we upgrade those two? Absofuckinglutely.

I don’t see the Giants doing anything major before the deadline and to get a bench guy or two, could probably get done after Friday without getting blocked by another team.

• zumiee said, on July 28, 2015 at 10:30 am

Yeah, Blanco’s having a career year. That’s the kind of thing in baseball that you don’t even try to question; you just enjoy it. 🙂

• Bozo said, on July 28, 2015 at 11:22 am

And Crawford, our team lead in HRs, is as well. I’ve wondered if the new time rule has benefited these two guys in some ways.They don’t get to think too long after each pitch, just get in the box and hit.

• chipower9 said, on July 28, 2015 at 2:13 pm

I mentioned last night that Craw could easily be referred to as the Jr. Human Rain Delay. Yes, he is quicker in the box, as he has to be, but the dude still milks time in the box. But I am not going to argue with that with his results…

• chipower9 said, on July 28, 2015 at 11:15 am

John – I have mentioned a bench upgrade numerous times over the past week or so. I agree…the bench really needs to be upgraded. Not sure we can snare a super-utility the likes of Zobrist (who, here is another of “those lists” is drawing interest from the Pirates, Royals, Angels, Yankees, Cubs, Dodgers, Astros and Cardinals), but that would be optimal…someone with a decent stick who can play IF or OF. I know…dream on motherfucker…

17. willedav said, on July 28, 2015 at 10:40 am

Bloggers also mentioned possibility Giants etc.just in to try and drive up the bidding war from the real serious teams.
    Wouldn’t put it past RAJ either. “Who plus who? Well, OK but let me call Sabes back.”

A gal actually came into store where I work last week and asked about a particular item and said, ” Do you price match? (Nameless) store has it 25% off but they are out.” Which is the old Jewish borscht belt comic deli owner joke, “Oh. When I’m out I have it 50% off.”

18. willedav said, on July 28, 2015 at 10:48 am

Flav, those FB pix you had of Truckee River were sad.

As a kid we used to visit relatives on Mom’s side in Downievile, about 40+ miles up Hwy 49 from Nevada City, along Yuba river and tributary that ran right by their houses. Beautiful country, air and water, camping, no stop lights in “town.” Shudder to think what it looks like now.

• Flavor said, on July 28, 2015 at 11:12 am

yeah, it was sad to see—especially down at the bottom of the rafting pool. That place was so alive with so much energy last time I was up there. Now? Just barren, dry rocks….

19. willedav said, on July 28, 2015 at 11:13 am

The Yard Barker takes a big leap of faith on Susac. Jury is still out, but the idea he is right now a good ml C is spotty at best. Just not enough evidence given so little PT, and some of that suggests the opposite.

This year, in 25-35 ABs each month, he hit .179 in May, .342 in June and .143 (4 for 28) in July.
    He hits LHP at .333 clip with .900 OPS
    He hits RHP at .197 clip with .633 OPS. So far twice as many ABs vs. RHP, which is why BA is .240 OPS .740.

I am also skeptical Posey numbers would increase incrementally at 1b as they have facing LHP often in past, other than obvious fact he could be in the LU much more often. Right now he is raking to almost .900 OPS with .500 slugging; how much higher could he really go playing full time every day?

Trade Belt, fine. But I’m not convinced it helps the team—that the difference btw Belt and Susac (and there is one) is made up for by Posey at 1b. Not to mention, Posey is an excellent C and Belt a plus defender at 1b.
    I hope all of the above stick around and Susac provides bench strength and RH pop, used selectively.

• Flavor said, on July 28, 2015 at 11:19 am

I don’t think Posey gets better at first base, he’s already pretty good there now. I just want him out from behind the dish. Too precious of a target, I think.

• chipower9 said, on July 28, 2015 at 12:34 pm

I agree.

• ewisco said, on July 28, 2015 at 11:48 am

at least from my perspective, it’s not about “trade belt” as it is you have to trade something to get something and he could be a great chip. for the reasons you mention, you’re not going to get a whole lot from susac and a ptbnl. so if you need to include belt to get something really good, i’m thinking i’m ok with that. but preferably to a east coast AL team (not that the have anything i’m eager to have).

• Bozo said, on July 28, 2015 at 12:00 pm

So, if Posey tears a hammy playing first do the Giants start pushing for the DH in the NL? Really, how much can you protect a guy? We pay Posey $167 million to be a Catcher, he wants to catch and right now he’s putting up MVP type numbers mainly doing that. If it ain’t broken… Also, if they traded Belt right now, I keep thinking the trade would work out as well as the A’s trade of Cespedes last year.

• Lurker John said, on July 28, 2015 at 12:40 pm

Whether trading Belt helps the team or not would be wholly dependent on who they got in return. I think the Giants are smart enough to make a good deal, namely because there’s no real pressing need to deal him.

20. Flavor said, on July 28, 2015 at 11:14 am

back to reality— I think Cain has a good start tonight. He gets to pitch at home, which he loves. And I was surprised to see at fangraphs that his FB velocity is only about a single mph off what it was from 2010 to 2014. He could be just the piece we need to add at the break. 🙂

21. Flavor said, on July 28, 2015 at 11:38 am

Zobrist to Royals—- also, Barry Bonds just became a grandpa

• zumiee said, on July 28, 2015 at 11:46 am

The Royals are going all-in. And the A’s are going all-crap.

22. zumiee said, on July 28, 2015 at 11:53 am

“Some of the same stores were on Main Street in Ashland, but here they were empty and dark, and the windows were cracked, and the owners stared dully from empty doorways….
    There was also a whorehouse on Main Street, right at the end of it, but it wasn’t like a whorehouse in the city. It was just a house where a whore lived.”

Kind of captures the bleakness of the A’s organization, somehow. (From the novel “Big Fish.”)

23. zumiee said, on July 28, 2015 at 12:03 pm

For Zobrist, the A’s get two pitchers. A guy with an MLB ERA of 20 and a guy with a AA ERA of 5.
    Hmmm…..

• Flavor said, on July 28, 2015 at 12:37 pm

Manaea was rated nearly as highly as Finnegan so the A’s did pretty good to pry him away from the Royals. KC is definitely going all in right now.

24. Macdog said, on July 28, 2015 at 12:28 pm

Funny, the Giants’ 12-1 run started when they blasted Hamels July 10.

25. Lurker John said, on July 28, 2015 at 12:29 pm

I just think the Giants would have to overpay for Hamels, as much as I’d love to see him on the team, and that would run counter to the team’s M.O. of the past 6 years or so. Pretty hard to argue with 5 in 3.

• Flavor said, on July 28, 2015 at 12:35 pm

5 in 3 would be easy to argue with. 🙂

• chipower9 said, on July 28, 2015 at 12:37 pm

Five in Three? Now that is some hoodoo voodoo…or is it smoke and mirrors… 😉

• Lurker John said, on July 28, 2015 at 12:41 pm

Dyslexia is a horrible disease.

26. Macdog said, on July 28, 2015 at 12:30 pm

Per Baggs, Machi claimed by Red Sox.

27. Flavor said, on July 28, 2015 at 1:06 pm

for those of you who were fans of Manute Bol, check out the game his 15 year old son has. Manute would have been proud.

• willedav said, on July 28, 2015 at 1:31 pm

wow, finger roll move is a beauty, so is taking the guy off the dribble from left wing to baseline and the no look pass to cutter. Hesistation move too, love that one changing speed.
      Funny looking outside shot, kinda low release point for guy his size. Cool footage though—where is it (and he) from?

• Flavor said, on July 28, 2015 at 2:47 pm

I’m not sure where he is, looks like some kind of academy footage. But didn’t dad take 3’s with the ball held WAY above his head? He’s got a much lower release point (as you noted). I was surprised at how well he handled the ball. He’s not going to get too much wider but I wonder how tall he’ll get??????

28. Macdog said, on July 28, 2015 at 2:27 pm

Sounds like the Nats are going to get Papelbon.

• Lurker John said, on July 28, 2015 at 2:34 pm

They can have him.

• Macdog said, on July 28, 2015 at 3:00 pm

He’s a jerk, but he’s also been lights-out this season, although he hasn’t exactly had to pitch in high-pressure games.

29. alleykat69 said, on July 28, 2015 at 2:34 pm

I believe Manute named his son Bol Bol😀…

30. Flavor said, on July 28, 2015 at 2:45 pm

Chi’s guy Leake going tonight v St Louis. Possibly the biggest start of his life!

• chipower9 said, on July 28, 2015 at 3:13 pm

Well, not “my guy,” just one that I think would be a good fit for our club.

• djloo27 said, on July 28, 2015 at 3:16 pm

As a matter of opinion I think he’s tops
        My opinion is he’s the cream of the crop
        As a matter of taste to be exact
        He’s my ideal as a matter of fact

31. Lisle Ellis said, on July 28, 2015 at 2:48 pm

Hey guys … (I realize this is probably not an original thought) … does anyone think there is anything to the theory that teams geographically situated centrally in the mid west have an advantage over teams on the continental periphery? Does the cumulative effect of the extra travel time for those teams traveling greater distances put them at disadvantage? Is it only a coincidence that the respective central division teams of both leagues have the highest winning percentage? … just curious.

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 28, 2015 at 3:08 pm

that and the curvature of the earth and magnetic polarities and negative ions are big factors, but only when Mercury is in retrograde

• blade3colorado said, on July 28, 2015 at 3:08 pm

Dunno LE, but Yankees and Giants seem to dispel that theory. Grudgingly, I can point to Dodgers, Angels . . . Sheesh, even the Florida Marlins won the WS twice.

• Flavor said, on July 28, 2015 at 3:34 pm

these guys are young, in good shape, and comfortable with travel. For you or me it might be a drag but I’d bet even we’d get ok with it.

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 28, 2015 at 3:40 pm

I was really gunning for POTD at 3:08. Now I know how Loo feels when one of his goldies slips by without five-star reviews. Yeah. I play to the crowd. It’s a character flaw.

• Flavor said, on July 28, 2015 at 3:48 pm

lol, shit the POTD doesn’t get assigned 5 seconds after it’s posted! But you’re in the lead my man, YOU ARE IN THE LEAD!!!!!!!!

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 28, 2015 at 5:14 pm

my need for instant gratification: the bane of my existence, in preschool on the playground, grammar school, HS, college, bars, marriage, divorce, post-divorce, you-name-it

32. unca_chuck said, on July 28, 2015 at 3:21 pm

No. They fly pretty well these days.

33. Flavor said, on July 28, 2015 at 3:47 pm

Brian ROberts is on mlb network right now and just said, “the giants called me at the deadline last year, I’m glad I didn’t take the offer or they wouldn’t have won the WS.” That’s some high praise for Panik…….

34. Flavor said, on July 28, 2015 at 3:49 pm

mlb Network giving the Giants brass serious love right now for the infield they built from scratch. Nice to see that kind of national recognition….

• wilcojoe said, on July 28, 2015 at 4:06 pm

They’re the only national network that consistently gives the Giants their due. Unfortunately only the hardest core of baseball fans seem to watch.

35. Lisle Ellis said, on July 28, 2015 at 3:54 pm

Thought I had a witty retort to Pawlie but word depress is not letting me post it …saying its already there … but where?

36. unca_chuck said, on July 28, 2015 at 3:57 pm

My Guy, Loo?

37. blade3colorado said, on July 28, 2015 at 4:13 pm

Pawlie, I submitted your post to http://scienceblogs.com/moleculeoftheday/

Waiting for word if it’s made POTD.

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 28, 2015 at 5:11 pm

thanks, Mr. Science

38. Flavor said, on July 28, 2015 at 4:31 pm

while I still enjoy chuckling to myself over Dirt’s current POTD that’s reigned for nearly a week, I will give in to the masses and replace it with PK’s gold. Loo, you are on the clock……

39. Flavor said, on July 28, 2015 at 4:34 pm

Carl Steward ‏@stewardsfolly 1m1 minute ago
    Santiago Casilla said he had tightness in the right side of his neck that affected his pitching before ASG, but feels fine now.

40. unca_chuck said, on July 28, 2015 at 4:38 pm

When the moon is in the seventh house
    and Jupiter aligns with Mars
    Then peace will guide the planets
    and love will steer the start

• zumiee said, on July 28, 2015 at 5:04 pm

It’s the dawning of the Age of J. Arias.
      (Once more for old time’s sake)

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 28, 2015 at 5:11 pm

gonna miss him…but he’ll be back…you’ll see…and who knows, he might be this postseason’s mini-Ishi

• unca_chuck said, on July 28, 2015 at 6:06 pm

Lqtm

41. zumiee said, on July 28, 2015 at 5:01 pm

Trout is Exhibit A of what I was talking about the other day: it’s not worth it for a player of his caliber to dive a lot. And now he’s out for a while. Some of all that is driven by all the highlights shows.

42. Flavor said, on July 28, 2015 at 5:16 pm

WTF?
    Bill ShaikinVerified account
    ‏@BillShaikin
    Justin Turner out of #Dodgers lineup with “pimple on his leg” that developed into infection. He’s at ER now, Mattingly said.

• zumiee said, on July 28, 2015 at 5:17 pm

That kind of weird stuff is scary.

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 28, 2015 at 5:22 pm

a pimp on his leg would be even scarier

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 28, 2015 at 5:22 pm

and weirder

• wilcojoe said, on July 28, 2015 at 5:45 pm

One of the baseball preview magazines (Zum may remember) used to list all of the odd injuries from the prior season. That certainly would be right up there.

43. pawliekokonuts said, on July 28, 2015 at 5:21 pm

I am reading about these trades and feel these GMs are stupid. Maybe impatient is the operative word. Exhibit A: Papelbon to Nats? Why? Overkill. Drew Storen is pissed. Can you blame him? Overkill. Nats don’t need him. (And Matt williams’s testy comments are dark contrast to Bochy’s diplomacy.) Exhibit B: Reyes – Tulo. The MLB writer Gregor Chisholm wrote about it as if it were literally Apocalyptic. (Ever notice how “literally” is used ludicrously? There used to be a website on misueses of “literally.” And it was literally funny.) Both guys past their primes. Hohum. Who cares. Not me.

Go, Champs!

Tnx for POTD!

• Flavor said, on July 28, 2015 at 5:24 pm

Bautista was not pleased about the Tulo trade. And I agree with everything else you wrote up above and YOU’RE WELCOME ON THE OVERDUE WELL DESERVED POST OF THE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 28, 2015 at 5:26 pm

hahah…danke…willkommen, herr Magnus

44. pawliekokonuts said, on July 28, 2015 at 5:23 pm

Loo is saving himself for game time

45. pawliekokonuts said, on July 28, 2015 at 5:24 pm

I think I might go to the movies, solo, just for the AC; it is too fecking hot…maybe see “Trainwreck.” Anything. No shocker here, but the previews are my favorite part; suits my attention span.

• Flavor said, on July 28, 2015 at 5:26 pm

agreed. it’s like 85 here and it’s hot as fuck

46. Flavor said, on July 28, 2015 at 5:25 pm

maybe Turner was talking about his “3rd leg” and he’s about to find out he’s got a pretty fucked up STD……

47. pawliekokonuts said, on July 28, 2015 at 5:28 pm

My boy Burriss coming back to Cuse. I may go tmrw to game with Yankee Stadium Mystery Companion of 2013 as my playdate. I’ll let you know if Manny is moping or resigned to his fate. (He doesn’t seem to be a moper.)

• Flavor said, on July 28, 2015 at 5:30 pm

Somehow, someway, this dude needs to know about the one person fan club he’s got.

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 28, 2015 at 5:38 pm

Well, between us girls, more a curiosity than fandom. I mean, I’m rooting for him and all, and appreciate his contributions, but I have no illusions about the trajectory of his career path (that’s diplomatic. But yeah. I should give him WORLD SERIOUS. It wouldn’t be hard. The father of my daughter’s friend is the team’s new CFO. We can get it to him (if I had one fecking copy). It should not be this wretched hot at 8:36 p.m. (allegedly 79, feels like 89 in my apt; 95 tmrw).

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 28, 2015 at 5:39 pm

close parens after diplomatic

48. pawliekokonuts said, on July 28, 2015 at 5:41 pm

I hope the Phils win 26 straight. OK. I’m out.

49. blade3colorado said, on July 28, 2015 at 6:33 pm

This is why I like Zobrist . . . Only three position players (Miguel Cabrera, Robinson Cano, Adrian Beltre) have accumulated more wins above replacement than Zobrist since 2009.

Impressed with KC “pushing in all their chips” for stretch run. Best in AL IMO.

50. blade3colorado said, on July 28, 2015 at 6:46 pm

Reliever Jenrry Mejia was suspended 162 games by MLB for a second positive test for performance-enhancing drugs. Mejia had just returned on July 7 after completing an 80-game PED suspension. Dude should have consulted Bonds about how to pass these tests . . .

Good thing the Mets got Clippard (LOL).

51. zumiee said, on July 28, 2015 at 7:11 pm

The movie “Trainwreck,” the 2015 Red Sox story. Ho!!!

• Bozo said, on July 28, 2015 at 7:42 pm

I think it is more the Jillian Johnson and Mayci Breaux story.
      Or should be.

52. djloo27 said, on July 28, 2015 at 7:17 pm

I guess technically they chose Adrianza over Arias. I wonder if he feels pressure to justify it.
    This could be a huge game for him…

• alleykat69 said, on July 28, 2015 at 7:40 pm

They went with the youth in 000, over the aging Arias, plus they have a huge road trip with freakin 100 degree weather and as much humidity where both Craw & Panik are gonna need a day off, so throw the youngster in, who’s a better fielder,really a good move I feel the Giants made..
      Now go get Hamels!!!😀

53. djloo27 said, on July 28, 2015 at 7:28 pm

Seems like Cain is in the stretch more than this guy:

54. Flavor said, on July 28, 2015 at 7:32 pm

surprised by this start. But it’s only 1 inning. I only caught the final pitch of the guy he struck out to end the inning. How was his velocity?

• alleykat69 said, on July 28, 2015 at 7:41 pm

91-92

• Flavor said, on July 28, 2015 at 7:42 pm

just saw that too. I’m encouraged. Unless this guy has forgotten how to pitch he’s got the goods right now

55. zumiee said, on July 28, 2015 at 8:02 pm

Adrianza really sucks.

• Flavor said, on July 28, 2015 at 8:17 pm

he’s the epitome of triple A fodder……..

56. zumiee said, on July 28, 2015 at 8:06 pm

Cain is getting raked.

57. alleykat69 said, on July 28, 2015 at 8:08 pm

Well, no chance of rain to bail out Cain..

58. Macdog said, on July 28, 2015 at 8:13 pm

We need another starter.

59. djloo27 said, on July 28, 2015 at 8:14 pm

Even at my advanced age, there is no chance 3 of those 4 broads could run me down…

• alleykat69 said, on July 28, 2015 at 8:32 pm

Gold Loo,
      I’d be running so fast, cause they might try to collar me for a foursome with handcuffs…

• djloo27 said, on July 28, 2015 at 9:12 pm

lulz!

60. Flavor said, on July 28, 2015 at 8:16 pm

Krukow is just so stupid sometimes. He’s talking about the heat that’s gonna move the ball around the park. He even referenced it as evidence that it’s happening tonight. Zero home runs so far. Not even a close one. We’re in the 4th and it’s 4-0…… lqtm….

• blade3colorado said, on July 28, 2015 at 8:26 pm

Yeah, that didn’t escape me either. Them citing Pagan’s “popup” to right is exhibit A . . . Davis was playing him very shallow, so I have no idea what the fuck our broadcast team was talking about.

• willedav said, on July 28, 2015 at 8:27 pm

Kuip’s comment on radio after the single to make it 4-0 was, “Cain is not fooling anyone.”

61. Flavor said, on July 28, 2015 at 8:22 pm

“Perez trying for the all or nothing play…”
    With Posey running, I’m gonna call it right now. Perez sucks.

62. Flavor said, on July 28, 2015 at 8:26 pm

Sometimes I watch Pence swing and I wonder why any pitcher would ever throw him a fastball. Seriously why do they ever throw him a fastball? He’s got some *Rowand and Feliz* in him, admittedly with a different swing.

63. zumiee said, on July 28, 2015 at 8:28 pm

Cain is throwing some nice BP.

64. blade3colorado said, on July 28, 2015 at 8:29 pm

Mac’s point is valid . . . Only saving grace to Cain face planting here is that it is occurring a few days before the trade deadline. Minimally, this will have the brain trust at Willie Mays Plaza thinking long and hard about not making any deals.

• Carstie Clausen said, on July 28, 2015 at 8:41 pm

Cain’s been a yo-yo so far since his return. He may not make for a reliable #3. Forget #2, as i noted last night Heston has that slot nailed down. Checked the Cincy-St. Louis score. Leake goes 8 with 4 hits and zero runs. Chapman shuts em down in the 9th. Would love to have both of them but rentals are going cheap this go round and Leake would look nice as our #3.

65. Flavor said, on July 28, 2015 at 8:38 pm

If I walked through the deepest desert, at the end of it, I’d pass on water as long as I didn’t have to watch another Belt at bat…….

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 28, 2015 at 9:34 pm

Back from “Trainwreck.” Your 8:38 should go into The Golden Book of Insults.

66. alleykat69 said, on July 28, 2015 at 8:40 pm

Is call that 000 would make an out,so we can endure another inning of Cain getting hammered…

• alleykat69 said, on July 28, 2015 at 8:45 pm

Go figure?, a 8 pitch inning, where was that all night?

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 28, 2015 at 9:35 pm

the Babelfish translation algorithim must be broken

67. Flavor said, on July 28, 2015 at 8:44 pm

Cain has been fine, calling him *face planting* is a joke. It’s certainly nothing to bounce him out of the rotation over. Although I would agree that calling him *fine* might be considered a joke, too

• blade3colorado said, on July 28, 2015 at 8:50 pm

Yeah, on reflection – “face planting” might be more then a bit severe. Just not impressed with him or the other starters we have going after Bum and Heston.

• Flavor said, on July 28, 2015 at 8:55 pm

his start was very average, I think we could both agree on that.

• blade3colorado said, on July 28, 2015 at 9:08 pm

Yeah . . . Hope he can improve on “average” though.

IP H R ER BB SO HR PC-ST ERA
      6.0 8 4 4 0 3 0 82-62 4.50

68. zumiee said, on July 28, 2015 at 8:59 pm

I just watched Puig strike out. That was cool.

69. zumiee said, on July 28, 2015 at 9:00 pm

Chi’s guy, Parra, is looking good.

70. zumiee said, on July 28, 2015 at 9:04 pm

We missed Panik tonight. Part of the conga line was missing.

71. Macdog said, on July 28, 2015 at 9:05 pm

11 runs in the 2nd inning for the Yanks tonight — in a 21-5 comeback win. I can’t believe they’re running away with the AL East.

• djloo27 said, on July 28, 2015 at 9:17 pm

Dave McNally was 21-5 in ’71 when the O’s had the four 20 game winners…

72. djloo27 said, on July 28, 2015 at 9:13 pm

Kuiper is clearly very proud that he knows all the archway numbers…

73. alleykat69 said, on July 28, 2015 at 9:32 pm

Use to dig watching both Dave McNally& Jim Palmer pitch!
    Sad that only Jim Palmer is the only 1 of the 4 still alive..

• zumiee said, on July 28, 2015 at 9:37 pm

Wow- didn’t know that.

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 28, 2015 at 9:37 pm

Thomas Boswell profiled Palmer very well in a book. You don’t hear a lot about him but he sure was dominant for a while.

74. pawliekokonuts said, on July 28, 2015 at 9:38 pm

That Yankee game was very odd. I’m sure Elias Sports Bureau has some of the oddities inventoried.

75. pawliekokonuts said, on July 28, 2015 at 9:40 pm

Arias, si; Adrianza no. The latter is not even Eugenio Velez-caliber.

76. zumiee said, on July 28, 2015 at 9:44 pm

Bums lost.

• zumiee said, on July 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm

Gray with the CG shut-out.

• zumiee said, on July 28, 2015 at 9:49 pm

Well, I guess the CG part was redundant.

77. unca_chuck said, on July 28, 2015 at 10:28 pm

Cain did what he used to do early in hos career and that was get 2 strikes on a guy and get way too much strike zone. Most to the hits he gave up early in the game were in 1-2 counts.

78. James said, on July 28, 2015 at 10:52 pm

“I am waiting for James to chime in regarding the “Posey is a better hitter when he’s not catching. It’s not a theory, it’s statistically backed.” line in the article.”

I apologize for the extended wait. The Pavlovian “statistically backed” received wisdom is certainly worth a chuckle. 🙂