Mike Leake Come on Down!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 31, 2015

Extremely happy with the Giants picking up CHI’S GUY Mike Leake who will fill a hole despite his last name. Ok, that’s the first and only leak joke allowed on the blog (unless you got a better one). We basically only gave up only one valuable player since Duvall had about as much chance as San Dawg or Twin to play in San Francisco again. But chips are meant to get thrown in the pot and I willingly toss Keura Mella to the felt.

And assuming we can sign Leake, this is no rental. He’s 27 and a guy who is going to get a little better pitching at AT&T. I would take Leake over either of the pitchers the Dodgers acquired (Latos and Wood).

Fantastic day to be a Giants fan. Haven’t seen a single negative comment about this pick up and don’t expect to.

1. Flavor said, on July 31, 2015 at 8:19 pm

Someone’s gonna have to explain to me why Bum gets cheesed off when a dude makes an OUT and flips his bat…..

• zumiee said, on July 31, 2015 at 8:30 pm

To Bum, he takes it as the batter saying “I should have crushed that sorry pitch, and I’m going to say it to everyone.”

• Flavor said, on July 31, 2015 at 8:34 pm

well, I think he’s got to chill a bit. You can’t go disrupting so many games just caused you get cheesed off at little transgressions. That’s like the 4 time in 2 years that he’s done that

• alleykat69 said, on July 31, 2015 at 8:49 pm

It was a rookie pulling the bat flip.Bum figures he hasn’t earned his battle stripes yet I guess.But your right he needs to chill out some when he’s having a off night and move on..

• snarkk said, on July 31, 2015 at 9:12 pm

Let’s stop pussyfooting around. Bum is an idiot doing this feigned insult gig when somebody throws a bat or flips it or cuts a fart for being disgusted with himself for missing a hittable pitch. In the ’60s, guys like Mays and Aaron were getting buzzed regularly about the head and neck with inside heat. They didn’t rush the mound, like would happen today with far less talented hitters. These players, including Bum, need to get over themselves. Get somebody out, stop giving up dingers, and stop being an ass on the mound just when you’re getting pounded. It’s embarrassing…

2. zumiee said, on July 31, 2015 at 8:27 pm

A Conor Gillaspie sighting. He’s playing for the Angels.

3. snarkk said, on July 31, 2015 at 8:55 pm

Hey, the Leake deal is fine, great. Needed another starter. But, other contender teams have made multiple moves for pitchers and position players. Giants outfield needed and needs to be bolstered. Parra went to the Orioles for Zack Davies, a 26th rounder in 2011, who was 5-6 with a 2.84 ERA in 19 games (18 starts) for Triple-A Norfolk this year. The Giants didn’t have anything even a little better than that to offer to trade for Parra? I don’t get it…

4. snarkk said, on July 31, 2015 at 8:59 pm

BTW, whyinhell is Pagan leading off, now that Aoki is back? That is nonsensical, IMO…

• alleykat69 said, on July 31, 2015 at 9:59 pm

Cause Boch doesn’t want to butthurt Pagan’s feelings Snarkk. Flap all knows Pagan’s not even as good as Blanco at this stage, but Boch won’t pull him out of the LU, like the days of Winn&Rowand..
      I did like that they DH’ed him tonight but should of put him 9th with Aoki leading off..

5. wilcojoe said, on July 31, 2015 at 9:23 pm

The Rangers announcers were actually defending Bum on the bat flip. They didn’t feel a rookie had the right to show him up.

• wilcojoe said, on July 31, 2015 at 9:28 pm

I agree with Snarkk though, it came off making Bum look like an overly sensitive hothead.

• snarkk said, on July 31, 2015 at 9:28 pm

I contend this whole “show him up” premise is bogus. No way the batter had an intent to embarrass the pitcher, he was angry at himself. This entire “show me up” thing across baseball is nonsense. Let’s let players show some emotion, honest emotion. The entire team goes into orgasmic jubilation and ritualistic self mutilation at a walk off HR or a walk off bloop single — yet there’s no bench emptying brawl at the time, nor is anybody buzzed the next day by the losing team. If that is not “showing up” the other team, then what is it? The whole “show me up” perceived insult stuff rarely occured in the old days (meaning when I was a kid to young adult and players didn’t make millions for sitting on the pine), and is today nothing but crap…

6. Paul Sorensen said, on July 31, 2015 at 9:26 pm

Well, it’s August now, at least here on the other side of the world. For weeks now, Flappers have been jawin’ about August’s tough schedule for the G’s. They seem to me to be poised to have a strong showing and maintain striking distance of the division and solidify the wildcard. So, I’m going to believe the calendar that says this 1st loss in TX was, in fact, not part of the tough August schedule, even if it was the start of this particular trip. I also wish they could’ve strengthened the bench a bit, but the team’s in good shape. And Sabes is expert at post-deadline pickups. On we go, Flap U, enjoy the ride..

• sandog said, on July 31, 2015 at 9:38 pm

Amen to that. And I’m still firmly planted in July here in San Diego. I’m not a huge Steve Rushin fan, but he had a great line in his Sports Illustrated column this week saying that August is “summer’s warning track.’

7. sandog said, on July 31, 2015 at 9:35 pm

When it comes to show wrestling, I never really took to the Hulk Hogan era guys as I was loyal to the guys I used to watch on Channel 40 in Sactown like Pat Patterson, Moon Dog Mane, The Brut, Peter Mavia, and the Von Bronner brothers with their Hitler-esque manager, who I believe was named Helmut Kaiser. However, the one dude in the Hulk years that I dug was Rowdy Roddy Piper. Great name and I liked his Scottish villain schtick as well. For me, he was an original act and not a re-hash of someone else.
    He died today at 61. Rest in peace, my man.

• snarkk said, on July 31, 2015 at 9:49 pm

With ya Dog. Pat Patterson, Ray Stevens, Kenji Shibuya, Pepper Gomez — those guys were my era of watching wrestling. I don’t know anything about the guys in the Hulk Hogan era, let alone currently. I did like the movie “The Wrestler” with Mickey Rourke. How that guy was the same guy as in 9 1/2 Weeks is mind boggling…

• sandog said, on July 31, 2015 at 9:58 pm

I’m not a big movie guy, but I loved The Wrestler.

• snarkk said, on July 31, 2015 at 10:00 pm

Plus, anything with Marissa Tomei in it, I’ll watch…

• alleykat69 said, on July 31, 2015 at 10:24 pm

Snarkk, you remember Pepper Gomez with his cast iron stomach once had an exhibition in the ring with about 5-6 wrestlers like Flying Ray Basteen, Pat Patterson,Bear Cat Wright,Kenji (sleeper hold) Shibuya and Ray Stevens..
        They set up a 8-10 ft ladder in the middle of the ring and Pepper laid under it as every wrestler jumped from the top of the ladder on his stomach!
        Didn’t even flinch.Then of course the baddest of the bad back then Ray Stevens went last and gets up on top and does a knee shot right on Pepper’s throat,Talk about a Mexican jumping bean in pain withering around the ring. Gomez got his revenge later I believe, man I miss those crazy days with Walt Harris I the mic!
        You know I might be sick, but I got a kick out of that stuff back then😃

8. twinfan1 said, on July 31, 2015 at 9:56 pm

Hey, at 68, shaky hands, and a right side lean, I could still play third base better than “Long Ball Duvall” -as could the Dawg.
    Way off subject, there’s something oddly comforting to see Eli in the dugout. Sort of like the Good Ol’ Shoe…

• snarkk said, on July 31, 2015 at 10:01 pm

Yeah, you can flash the leather, but how’s your long ball swing?…

• twinfan1 said, on July 31, 2015 at 10:06 pm

I’d say that it’s the hitters version of the pie-thrower.

• alleykat69 said, on July 31, 2015 at 10:04 pm

LOL Michael! Good to hear from you my friend.
      A shaky glove and a lean toward the bag can still prevent a double!

9. zumiee said, on July 31, 2015 at 9:57 pm

Also passed away today: Lynn Anderson, who had the big hit “I Never Promised You A Rose Garden.”
    Nice song.

10. Paul Sorensen said, on July 31, 2015 at 9:59 pm

It was kinda fun, actually, watching some teams “going all in” at the deadline this season… teams like the Cubs, Mets, Bucs (oh look, the Giants’ main competitors for post-season entry). Wonder how much they’re all sitting there muttering under their collective breaths about the Giants, gotta do something to get ahead of the Giants. Royals, WAY all in, no way they’re going to let another game 7 go the other way, etc. LA, who cares, they do what they do and it doesn’t seem to matter much. Really would love to win the West, fuck the wildcard, but, nice to know it’s there if we need it.

• snarkk said, on July 31, 2015 at 10:06 pm

Yeah, Paul, the division win is where it’s at. I hate the one game playoff deal, just too much of a crapshoot IMO, despite the Giants doing great in it last season v. Pirates. I know BF thinks it’s the cat’s pajamas, but I’d rather see a 2 of 3 short series to have both team’s fans enjoy at least one game at home…

11. djloo27 said, on July 31, 2015 at 10:08 pm

There seemed to be a lot of paranoia in the broadcast booth the past few days about the heat and humidity on this road trip. Sounded like none of them wanted any part of it.

• snarkk said, on July 31, 2015 at 10:11 pm

Premature excusation?…

• djloo27 said, on July 31, 2015 at 10:26 pm

More like premature exhaustion…

• alleykat69 said, on July 31, 2015 at 10:35 pm

Might even say premature ejaculation, but that’s only when Casey McGehee is batting!

12. zumiee said, on July 31, 2015 at 10:08 pm

No help from the Angels tonight.

13. twinfan1 said, on July 31, 2015 at 10:18 pm

It looks like that Ishi survived the Morse acquisition .There are some very intriguing stories that could play out if the Bucs make the playoffs and both of them make it through the season.

• snarkk said, on July 31, 2015 at 10:50 pm

If there were 30 on a roster, I can see Morse on an NL team. He should be on an AL squad as DH…

14. snarkk said, on July 31, 2015 at 10:49 pm

Baggs reports in Sac tonite: Cordier walked the bases loaded, then Osich came in and struck out the side. That’s pretty cool. Osich is going to be in next year’s Pen for sure…

15. sandog said, on July 31, 2015 at 10:51 pm

One of my brothers was a big Billy Pierce fan. He grew up watching those 60’s teams (he’s 13 years older than I am) and Pierce and Jim Davenport are 2 guys he has mentioned a lot over the years.

• alleykat69 said, on July 31, 2015 at 11:48 pm

Dawg,
      I played little league, Babe Ruth and High School Ball with Jim Davenport’s sons Randy, Gary& Don, in San Carlos.Really a great family and Jim with his southern drawl I will never forget would try and make every game he could when they weren’t traveling. Also played with a kid named Keith Comstock, who made it to the show, and pitched for the Giants ( cup of coffee) and was part of the steal trade for the Giants, Mark Grant,Comstock,forget the 3rd guy, to San Diego for Dave Dravecky,Mark Lefferts, and some guy named Kevin Mitchell!!
      I still rag on Keith to this day when I see him over that. He was so bummed to be traded by his hometown team..

16. snarkk said, on July 31, 2015 at 11:06 pm

Mets got Cespedes for giving up two minor league arms, one apparently pretty good, the other debatable. I’d have given up Crick and some other arm for Cespedes. And, Mets fan Seinfeld apparently tweeted after trade: “Cespedes for the rest of us”…

17. […] said, on July 31, 2015 at 8:30 pm […]