A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Mike Leake Come on Down!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on July 31, 2015

Extremely happy with the Giants picking up CHI’S GUY Mike Leake who will fill a hole despite his last name. Ok, that’s the first and only leak joke allowed on the blog (unless you got a better one). We basically only gave up only one valuable player since Duvall had about as much chance as San Dawg or Twin to play in San Francisco again. But chips are meant to get thrown in the pot and I willingly toss Keura Mella to the felt.

And assuming we can sign Leake, this is no rental. He’s 27 and a guy who is going to get a little better pitching at AT&T. I would take Leake over either of the pitchers the Dodgers acquired (Latos and Wood).

Fantastic day to be a Giants fan. Haven’t seen a single negative comment about this pick up and don’t expect to.

1. Carstie Clausen said, on July 31, 2015 at 6:49 am

You get one anyway, Flav. But its a reiteration. Yesterday afternoon when Hamels and Price both evaporated l suggested we take a Leake. Seem to recall he has made comments about wanting, liking to be a Giant. If so, a longer-term signing should be a matter of mutual accord. His 8 inning, 4 hit effort for the Reds in his last start looks like a sign of good things to come. The questionable rotation has now solidified nicely.

2. Flavor said, on July 31, 2015 at 7:13 am

Now all we really need is one good reliever and we’re good to go. Chapman is too *pie in the sky* but how great would he look in SF colors?

3. willedav said, on July 31, 2015 at 7:15 am

Even if a rental only cost Duvall it’s worth it. He wasn’t going to play anywhere here anyway.
    Leake can hit too. Should be relieved to throw in pitcher’s yard cooler weather and have SF D behind him.

I really do think, unlike at say start of season, SF matches up favorably with LA re:position players. OF a tossup, with Pence the best, Pagan worst of lot. Posey and Craw big ads, AGon for them, others very close.

Dodgers with more pop, Giants better BA and OB and don’t have any problem scoring runs. Clear D edge to giants…and I think the flurry of deals indicate they know it too. LA had 2 months to build up bigger lead before Pence Aoki and Giants pitching came around and didn’t do it. Bring it.

• chipower9 said, on July 31, 2015 at 8:58 am

They also dealt Mella, a young pitcher who was in San Jose, and supposedly the team brass was really high on the kid.

4. gianthead said, on July 31, 2015 at 7:29 am

Damn, I was going to log in yesterday to say as long as the Dodgers don’t get Hamels nor Price, I would be happy in Giants land then to just add someone like Mike Leake…then booyah! Perfect compliment for the rotation. Still hope Cain can find his mojo by September.

I still would not mind a Cespedes-like bat.

5. gianthead said, on July 31, 2015 at 7:32 am

And I think the likelihood we keep Leake after he likely loves pitching as a Giant I believe is high. Hudson and Lincecum are out of the rotation for 2016, so Leake could fit in nicely as our #3 or #4 starter…

• Flavor said, on July 31, 2015 at 7:39 am

he’s gonna be our right handed Kirk Reuter……

6. sandog said, on July 31, 2015 at 7:40 am

Love the trade. If you would have told me earlier in the year that 100 games in, we’d be right there with LA and acting as Buyers at the trade deadline, I would have said you were out of your freaking mind.

• gianthead said, on July 31, 2015 at 8:08 am

I may have had even stronger words:)

7. chipower9 said, on July 31, 2015 at 7:45 am

Damn…I went out back to take a leak and came back in two minutes later, and the Giants signed Leake (sorry Craig, could not resist tossing in one more lame-ass joke). Gail and I were checking-out some live music last night (Ruthie Foster out of Austin and Charlie Musslewhite, blues harmonica extraordinaire – great show in a small venue in Grass Valley), and got a text from a friend that the deal went down.

I really like this trade for all the reasons I have been blabbering for the last week or so. I hope the dude wants to stick around next year…time will tell.

I am familiar with Duvall and have seen him play in Sacto (and remember his brief call-up last year). I am not as familiar with Mella, who has been pitching in San Jose, but I know from what I have read this morning that the Giants brass was big on the kid. Oh well, ya have to give something up to get something, and I think the Giants did a great job.

I certainly like Leake better than either of the pitchers the bums got, so overall…as Flavor said, a damned good day to be a Giant!

August is going to be a tough month but I think our boys are up to continuting their winning ways.

4 in 6. Why not???
    Humm Baby – Let’s Do It Again!

• wilcojoe said, on July 31, 2015 at 7:48 am

You got half of your wish list Chi. Parra on his way to Baltimore.

• chipower9 said, on July 31, 2015 at 7:50 am

Really…did not see that, Wilco. I did see where Gomez is on his way from Brewtown to Houston. With the moves the Stros made, they sure look strong.

8. wilcojoe said, on July 31, 2015 at 7:46 am

Really like this trade. Giants didn’t need to make a big splash by going after a Price or Hamels anyway. It’s not their style. Bum, Leake, Heston and then you have several veteran options with Cain, Peavy, and Vogelsong. Can’t complain with that.

• chipower9 said, on July 31, 2015 at 7:48 am

And don’t forget we have Timmy languishing there on the DL. You never know…he could come back healthy when rosters expand and be that “late inning assassin.”

The interesting question is who goes down? I know they have said Hudson is going to the pen. My guess is Huddy gets his outright release with the golden wrist watch before the season is over. Strickland, with options, is the most likely candidate, but I don’t like that move at all.

• wilcojoe said, on July 31, 2015 at 7:58 am

If they were able to let Ishi go before his bobblehead day, they shouldn’t have a problem doing the same with Huddy. Yeah, I can’t see them sending back Strickland. I think he is here for good.

• gianthead said, on July 31, 2015 at 8:13 am

The likelihood is Hudson comes down with a case arm “tightness” and goes on the 30 day DL. Then he gets the call-up with expanded rosters and then rides the pine the length of the season and hopefully the post-season run to the World Series…

• wilcojoe said, on July 31, 2015 at 8:19 am

That’s probably spot on GH.

• chipower9 said, on July 31, 2015 at 9:00 am

I think you are probably right, GH. I believe the Giants used his surgically repaired ankle as the reason for his last stint on the DL. WTF…when your guy is 40, you can cook up a ton of “maladies.” 😉

9. alleykat69 said, on July 31, 2015 at 7:58 am

No way Strickland goes down Chi..
    Doubt the Giants are sold on Casilla closing, he could take over down the stretch..Damm Stickland& Chapman sure we’re be awesome, but we’re not gonna blow up the farm system to get him..

• chipower9 said, on July 31, 2015 at 9:02 am

I have seen Evans quoted in a couple of the local rags that they are probably done dealing. And that is cool with me. I like the composition of the team now, and really do not want to mortgage the minors any more at this point.

10. wilcojoe said, on July 31, 2015 at 8:07 am

Parra was traded for a guy that wasn’t even one of the Top 20 prospects for the Brewers. You gotta think there is a similar type bat the Giants can snag before the day is done. You can’t tell me there are worse hitters on other teams 25 than Maxwell and Adrianza.

• Flavor said, on July 31, 2015 at 8:09 am

saw that. Disappointing that we couldn’t have snagged him for similar…..

11. Lurker John said, on July 31, 2015 at 8:08 am

It sounds like the Flap Universe is happy about the Leake pick up. Count me in as well. He’s pitching well, he’s young and cheap. The only downside I can see is that he’s a free agent after the season (which will result in the first back-to-back WS champs since the ’99-2000 Yank-mes). I figure if he does well the G’s will make a strong pitch to sign him.

Bum, Moses, Leake and Peavy seems like a pretty solid front four heading into the stretch. I’ve been thinking about Affeldt and his struggles. Anyone think Osich might be tagged as the left-handed late inning guy if Jeremy continues to falter? Heading into the playoffs I mean.

GO GIANTS!

• chipower9 said, on July 31, 2015 at 9:03 am

The only guy whose name was kicked-around regularly (outside of Hamels) who is also locked-into a deal is Shields, and I have not seen the Friars hit the sell button, yet.

12. Flavor said, on July 31, 2015 at 8:10 am

Here’s a good example why local news shouldn’t try to cover sports: Not only are they always the last ones to report the news they can’t even get it right. The dipshit on KTVU keeps saying we gave up our “top prospect” for Leake. He was not our top prospect.

• Lurker John said, on July 31, 2015 at 8:22 am

“Top prospect” seems like a subjective term for many. I honestly didn’t know much about the guy a few days ago.

• chipower9 said, on July 31, 2015 at 9:04 am

I know Evans and crew have said that they were really high on the kid Mella from San Jose. But top prospect? I don’t think so. And Evans was also quoted as saying they had little convidence that Duvall can play the hot corner in the bigs.

13. wilcojoe said, on July 31, 2015 at 8:13 am

I just hate seeing how much closers cost in terms of money and prospects. It’s the most overrated position in the game, IMO. I might be in the minority but I think the pen will be fine. Especially with the addition of Leake, you have a lot of options for guys to eat up innings. Casilla and Romo will be fine come October. You gotta dance with who brung ya (thank you Coach Royal).

14. gianthead said, on July 31, 2015 at 8:16 am

And this should be how the trade market is every year…we have had 10 days of player movement and something get ginned up about…fun stuff and way way more interesting than stupid ESPN NFL training camp nonsense…

• wilcojoe said, on July 31, 2015 at 8:18 am

Absolutely. This is my favorite week of the baseball season, outside of opening day.

15. Lurker John said, on July 31, 2015 at 8:17 am

All things considered, I think the Giants came out of this pretty well, assuming no more moves are made today. They gave up the highly-regarded Keury Mella, but for an established big league starter. One in the hand is worth two in the bush. Duvall was in no-man’s land as far as a long term spot on the team is concerned.

The Dodgers swung a huge deal, but I like ours. Lean and mean and addresses a pressing need.

Boom.

• chipower9 said, on July 31, 2015 at 9:06 am

Agree with ya 100% LJ. And I am not that impressed with the bum’s deals. Bring it on – let’s rumble!

16. wilcojoe said, on July 31, 2015 at 8:17 am

I am not overly concerned about the Giants ability to re-sign Leake. Our problem is getting players to come here (for reasons still unknown to me). However once their here, I think they buy in pretty quickly to everything this team and city has to offer.

• sandog said, on July 31, 2015 at 9:07 am

Great point. Unfortunately, I think there are still a lot of people out there who perceive SF as a place only for gays or extreme liberals and don’t realize there is much more to the area than that until they actually live there for a chunk of time. And I don’t think ballplayers as a rule, are known as the most progressive types when it comes to bucking these stereotypes.

17. Flavor said, on July 31, 2015 at 8:56 am

the thing I’ve always like about Lowell Cohn is that he isn’t afraid to call people/teams out on their shit. Good article.

• Bozo said, on July 31, 2015 at 9:10 am

I always liked Cohn, and that article does ring true. But, there goes his half off coupons for the GAP.

• chipower9 said, on July 31, 2015 at 9:48 am

Good one, John. Wait, with their ownership being such fucking cheapskates, do they (the GAP) even off half-off coupons?

• chipower9 said, on July 31, 2015 at 9:13 am

Great read, Craig. Thanks. I need to remember to read Cohn more often. I too have always like him, going back to his days at the Chron.

18. Flavor said, on July 31, 2015 at 9:02 am

Flap trivia for the day: the last time the GIants and Reds pulled off a trade was 1995: Deion Sanders, Dave McCarty, Rickey Pickett, John Roper and Scott Service for Burba, D-Lew and Portugal. Wow! That was a lot of players……

• sandog said, on July 31, 2015 at 9:10 am

That one didn’t work out so well IMO, but the story I think Chuck and others tell about Deion signing balls on Ball Day during pitching changes is still one of my all-time favorites.

• Flavor said, on July 31, 2015 at 9:14 am

retell?

• sandog said, on July 31, 2015 at 9:35 am

It is certainly due for a retell and I think more than one Flapper was at the game. I think the legend has it that Primetime may have even been signing balls between batters!

• Bozo said, on July 31, 2015 at 9:40 am

Deion was still with Atlanta, he’d already taken a beer to the face when going for a foul ball. Instead of playing catch before the inning started, a kid dropped a ball, he picked it up and signed it and spent the rest of his warm-up time signing balls. No more beer was thrown at him but he was out on the field when all those balls started flying from the stands. The umps almost forfeited the game to the Braves. We came back from being down by 5 runs twice (? or was it three times), an amazing day.
        I know it was kind of fucked up for all those baseball being thrown from the stands (including the upper deck), but strangely, I found it to be a beautiful thing.

• Flavor said, on July 31, 2015 at 9:45 am

that’s a great post, Clown

• Bozo said, on July 31, 2015 at 9:47 am

Oh yeah, it was photo ball day for kids under a certain age, so those kids must have made some cash from all the adults who wanted to throw those balls on the field. A couple of balls were thrown on the field and the next thing you know, thousands of them. The game was halted and the players taken off the field twice. To come back and win it was just incredible.

19. unca_chuck said, on July 31, 2015 at 9:35 am

Twasn’t me, but I do remember seeing Deion play a few times. Baseball and football. I don’t remember him being on the G’s very long though.

Lowell Cohn? Hack city. When you are negative about everything you get shit right once in a while. His weasel son is following in his rat-like footsteps. Almost as bad as Kawakami and his Alfalfa haircut . . .

• sandog said, on July 31, 2015 at 9:39 am

Hey Chuck! I think Deion may have still been on the Braves during the Ball Day Incident. (Not to be confused with the Spaghetti Incident)

• chipower9 said, on July 31, 2015 at 9:51 am

Yeah, I saw Deion a couple of times as a Giant and one game as a Niner. He was on the Giants for I believe less than half the season.

20. blade3colorado said, on July 31, 2015 at 9:38 am

Chapman is special, but I agree with Macdog, that we’re fine in the bullpen. Heard Morse DFA’d . . . No idea if the Giants are interested. How about you guys? Me? Dunno . . . If 2 teams have already dumped him, that’s telling IMO.

Pence fell in love with San Francisco, so he said the hell with free agency . . . Hopefully, Leake is special here and decides, “Ya know, I kinda like the Castro district . . . ” Umm, well – you get my drift.

21. unca_chuck said, on July 31, 2015 at 9:40 am

I guess i never got over Cohn’s ‘trade Montana’ tirades in 1987 after Joe’s back surgery. Montana for LB Keith Browner of SD or some shit.

22. Flavor said, on July 31, 2015 at 9:41 am

this unwritten rule never to trade within your division is beyond stupid. What pussy gm is shaking in his boots about trading a guy who will “beat them” for years to come? Shouldn’t the team you’re trading with be equally fearful that the guys they’re sending your way will someday come up and beat them for years to come? If you trade for the right players who will ultimately make your team better down the road who gives a shit what the player you trade away does to you in the short term? Your season is over anyway. And with the way players whip around the league these days, there’s not much of a risk that the player you trade to a division rival will *beat you for years to come….”

• Macdog said, on July 31, 2015 at 9:51 am

And the no-trade rule between the Giants and A’s (especially from Beane’s end) is even more stupid.

23. unca_chuck said, on July 31, 2015 at 9:43 am

At this point would Morse hit better off the bench than Maxwell Smart? Not likely, but the familiar surroundings . . . yadda eider eider

No. Sorry Morse. Even though he strikes me as the next incarnation of Pat the bat.

24. unca_chuck said, on July 31, 2015 at 9:53 am

Bozo/Dawg. I did go to a game (photo ball day) where the fans got pissed off at a call and threw their balls all over the field. Early 90s . . . ?

• Bozo said, on July 31, 2015 at 9:58 am

Yeah, it was a Braves game and Deion was playing left field. Someone douched him with a beer when he was going for a foul in the corner. I couldn’t see it from my seats but he did mention it to the press (he was pissed because he didn’t drink). And he did that signing thing between innings, which really cooled things down out his way, at least until the baseballs started flying.

• blade3colorado said, on July 31, 2015 at 10:03 am

Poor baby Deion. Maybe the fan was a friend of this guy . . . hahaha

25. chipower9 said, on July 31, 2015 at 9:53 am

Morse? Just say no. I will always appreciate him for last year, and especially that HR that tied the game in game 5 of the NLCS, but fuck, he is barely hitting .200 and his OPS is under .600. And it isn’t like he can play a ton of positions. Compared to what we have to play 1st and LF, he is a liability. No thanks.

26. Bozo said, on July 31, 2015 at 9:53 am

Bringing Morse back on the Dodgers dime might just be worth it.

• Flavor said, on July 31, 2015 at 9:56 am

agreed. I’d take him (if he’s healthy) over Maxwell all day long

• chipower9 said, on July 31, 2015 at 10:15 am

I don’t know. Maxwell is certainly a better defender. Morse just seem so much like a one-trick pony not sure I would want to use a spot on the 25 for him. Whatevah…wouldn’t be terrible, but I would stick with the Silver Hammer…

• Flavor said, on July 31, 2015 at 10:24 am

I forgot about his contract, 12 mill still owed. Giants aren’t going to pay that.

• Bozo said, on July 31, 2015 at 10:29 am

If he makes it through waivers the Giants would only have to pay the league minimum, the Dodgers would be on the hook for the rest.

27. chipower9 said, on July 31, 2015 at 9:55 am

Maybe this is old news that you guys kicked-around yesterday, but I just saw this morning where Hamels had waived his no-trade clause with the Giants. So, the Giants did go hard for Hamels, and he was ready to OK the trade, but Texas just had a better package of prospects. It is all good, I am down with us getting Leake, and I do hope like hell he re-ups with the Gigantes.

• Bozo said, on July 31, 2015 at 10:01 am

Yeah, I saw where Bags had mentioned it. He didn’t say what our offer was though.

28. sandog said, on July 31, 2015 at 10:02 am

What exactly made the ball a Photo Ball? I’m guessing there was a photo of a player on the ball? Different players…or everyone got the same guy? I tried ebay for answers, but came up empty.

By the way, this guy was never my cup of tea, but Flav or Loo or somebody needs to get on this asap….

• wilcojoe said, on July 31, 2015 at 10:16 am

Yeah my stepdad has a shrine of baseball giveaways, hats, bobbleheads, etc…He has a Will Clark photoball. It’s basically just a generic baseball with the players face on one side. It’s kind of a crappy image, similar to those shirts and cups emblazoned with kids faces that you can get at the mall. Early 90’s technology at its finest.

• Bozo said, on July 31, 2015 at 10:36 am

It was just back in the 90s and one of those promotions for kids. I don’t remember who’s picture was on the ball (hell, it could have just been the Giants logo) but for some reason I think it was one of our Relief pitchers. After that they didn’t give them out at the ballpark anymore but you could get them at Chevron after filling up (I think I still have a Will Clark, Jeff Kent and Barry Bonds. I had a Willie Mcgee at one point, but I think I gave that one away).

• unca_chuck said, on July 31, 2015 at 11:36 am

Yeah, they had a few of the giveaways i think. It was one guy per giveaway.

29. Bozo said, on July 31, 2015 at 10:03 am

From Jim Bowden of ESPN – “Put your seat belts on there will be a flurry of trades that are done but won’t be announced until final hour according to several GMs”

30. giants54 said, on July 31, 2015 at 10:08 am

Mets Alderson has to pull the trigger and get a bat. Their pitching is too good to not go for it.

31. Flavor said, on July 31, 2015 at 10:10 am

San Dawg– thanks for the tip:
    Thanks, your payment is complete
    Payment confirmation sent to: bigflavor77@gmail.com
    Order number: 4326-5209-5778-2689
    This transaction will appear on your statement as PayPal *BENNY WONG

• Flavor said, on July 31, 2015 at 10:16 am

S/H was more than the card. That’s fucked up. #freeCandy

• djloo27 said, on July 31, 2015 at 11:06 am

Candy is one of my all-time favorites. Had his jersey made for me back in ’87 when it wasn’t so easy to get that done. Wish I knew where the fuck it is…

32. Flavor said, on July 31, 2015 at 10:23 am

Andrew Baggarly ‏@extrabaggs 8m8 minutes ago
    This amid trade mania: Today SF will play 1st game at Arlington since the night Renteria went deep, Lincecum dealt & Wilson struck out Cruz.

• Lurker John said, on July 31, 2015 at 3:08 pm

Yeah baby.

33. Flavor said, on July 31, 2015 at 10:28 am

Unless David Price can pitch 3 or 4 times a week, I’m not understanding all this jizz flying around about the BJ’s……

34. Macdog said, on July 31, 2015 at 10:29 am

Is this the game with the baseballs thrown on the field? http://tinyurl.com/ogvu8h3

• Bozo said, on July 31, 2015 at 10:50 am

That’s the game Mac. But I’m telling y’all, the baseballs at one point started flying from everywhere not just the left field bleachers. I was in the Lower Reserve just watching it rain baseballs.

• unca_chuck said, on July 31, 2015 at 11:39 am

Yup. They were coming from the upper deck down the LF line.

35. Flavor said, on July 31, 2015 at 10:47 am

John Shea ‏@JohnSheaHey 8m8 minutes ago
    Mike Leake will be in Arlington tonight to join his new #sfgiants teammates. Was told he didn’t have to rush. But he did.

36. djloo27 said, on July 31, 2015 at 10:56 am

R.I.P. ’62 hero Billy Pierce. I always thought his numbers matched up very well to Drysdale…

• Carstie Clausen said, on July 31, 2015 at 1:16 pm

Somehow the Stonehams did it right in ’62, adding Pierce and i believe, Harvey Kuenn in trades. Then it all came down to that religious little bitch Bobby Richardson snagging #44’s liner with ducks on the pondl, giving the Series to the Yank-Mes.

37. djloo27 said, on July 31, 2015 at 11:02 am

Giant website lists Hudson vs. Hamels for Saturday…

38. djloo27 said, on July 31, 2015 at 11:08 am

I guess Leake debuts in Atlanta on Monday…

39. Paul Sorensen said, on July 31, 2015 at 11:09 am

I don’t know much about Lowell Cohn, I don’t remember him at the Chron, I’ve only read a few of his pieces in the Press Democrat when I happen to be visiting the US now and then. The only thing I do remember is that one morning during one of my US visits, my friend who owns the house in Sonoma where I rent a room to keep me “official” in the US said to me, “If you’re interested,The Press Democrat is out in the driveway.” In my early morning pre-coffee stupor, I could’ve sworn she said “Depressed Democrats are out in the driveway” and I could only wonder why there would be depressed Democrats in Sonoma, no less in the driveway…. Oh, great trade, by the way…

40. alleykat69 said, on July 31, 2015 at 11:19 am

Bluejays add Mariners Relief pitcher Mark Lowe and now Ben Revere from the Phils..

41. djloo27 said, on July 31, 2015 at 11:21 am

I wonder if they’re considering an upgrade over Adrianza, who is the only back-up infielder on the roster…

• Bozo said, on July 31, 2015 at 11:35 am

I hope so, our four man bench seems weak. They did pick up Everth Cabrera awhile back, but I don’t know if he’d be much of an upgrade (he is fast though).

42. alleykat69 said, on July 31, 2015 at 11:26 am

Talk about another dipshit sports writer.. Adam Lamayce((sp))
    MLB network
    Said yeah adding Leake will really help the Giants with Bumgarner,Cain, Peavy and Hudson..
    No mention at all of are #2 guy Chris Heston !!

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 31, 2015 at 11:53 am

He looks like a David Ortiz clone with that facial hair. #followernotleader

43. pawliekokonuts said, on July 31, 2015 at 11:40 am

I’m an easy mark for a cheap joke. I love your lead sentence, Magnus. Yup. I love this move — way better than the Big Splash Trades out there.

44. Macdog said, on July 31, 2015 at 11:44 am

Macdog said, on June 5, 2014 at 10:54 am
    Craw takes a Leake — deep.

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 31, 2015 at 11:49 am

… and cold, as the ol’ men’s joke goes.

45. unca_chuck said, on July 31, 2015 at 11:50 am

Candy had his (bad) moment in the lights, but I’ll always love him for his flying punch on Jose fucking Okendo in the Will Clark Ozzie Smith fight. He clocks Ozzie

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 31, 2015 at 11:56 am

I love that. Candy comes out of nowhere. I don’t know why the actuality of the event is gone in my memory; should’ve been in my book.

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 31, 2015 at 11:57 am

I know videos of the fracas have been posted a lot here, esp. after the Matt Holiday ruckus in 2012, but I am enthralled by it.

• Bozo said, on July 31, 2015 at 12:24 pm

Dusty Baker, came flying in right after Candy and threw some great punches. I remember thinking that even our 1b coach can kick ass.

46. dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 31, 2015 at 11:57 am

In a totally Sabeasy move they got who they told us they would get all along. Heston and Leake are remarkably similar this year. Leake has more history so this is cool. I guess. Hey, did you guys hear he can hit? Between Leake, Bumgarner and Adrianza who’s first of the bench to PH?

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 31, 2015 at 11:59 am

if Adrianza does learn to hit — and maybe he will, with that confidence-building double — that’d be gravy

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 31, 2015 at 11:59 am

Sabeasy — good coinage

47. wilcojoe said, on July 31, 2015 at 12:19 pm

Interesting tidbit. Duvall’s first major league home run was hit off, wait for it….Mike Leake

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 31, 2015 at 12:28 pm

I suppose Duvall and Meura could end up being beasts and “haunt” us. But when you think about it a good trade benefits both teams. And if it goes too lopsided, the losing side is just a little more wary next time you negotiate.

48. pawliekokonuts said, on July 31, 2015 at 12:29 pm

Just know that my boy Arias WILL be back and will help us win a postseason game, or two, or more.

49. Irish Kevin said, on July 31, 2015 at 12:38 pm

I like this assessment by B Jenkins on the Gate

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 31, 2015 at 12:51 pm

Nice breakdown. Outside ratings (BB America) of the Giants’ system are always amusing to me. As if Sabevans gives a rats ass. I can only assume they’ve already decided internally that Mella is a bullpen arm.

50. djloo27 said, on July 31, 2015 at 12:50 pm

Sounds like Cespedes to the Mets (unofficially)…

• djloo27 said, on July 31, 2015 at 12:58 pm

Didn’t even have to give up Wheeler for him…

• blade3colorado said, on July 31, 2015 at 12:59 pm

Yeah, suspected that was going to happen to (when I predicted Soria being gone yesterday). Tigers fire sale is probably complete if Cespedes joins Price and Soria. Verlander’s contract is strangling the Tigers or he would be gone too.

51. Flavor said, on July 31, 2015 at 1:07 pm

Once I get my signed Candy card I’m re-listing it for 10K on a site a little more highbrow than eBay…..

52. djloo27 said, on July 31, 2015 at 1:21 pm

Morse to Pirates for Tabata…

• unca_chuck said, on July 31, 2015 at 1:24 pm

Tabitha who? From Bewitched? Always wondered what happened to her.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on July 31, 2015 at 1:30 pm

What a fall for Tabata. He’s been decent in limited action this year.

• blade3colorado said, on July 31, 2015 at 2:14 pm

Agree Dirt. Maybe 3 or 4 years ago, he was a highly thought of prospect. Amazing how far he has fallen.

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 31, 2015 at 2:23 pm

I like his skills; saw him as a rookie, I believe, in 2012, at PNC. Has some pop. Pirates and Mets have been busy!

• Macdog said, on July 31, 2015 at 1:36 pm

Tabata’s the guy who didn’t exactly go out of his way to avoid HBP that ruined Scherzer’s perfecto.

53. unca_chuck said, on July 31, 2015 at 1:26 pm

Just found a 1988 Bob Melvin card.

“Bob had 523 chances accepted and led the Southern Atlantic League with .996 pct in 1981.”

54. chipower9 said, on July 31, 2015 at 1:34 pm

Well, that solves the potential of Morse coming here. Bums were on the hook for what remained of his 7 mil this year, and for 8 mil next year. Wonder how much of that salary they agreed to eat?

• Bozo said, on July 31, 2015 at 1:51 pm

Well, if the Bucs drop Ishi to make room for Morse….

55. giants54 said, on July 31, 2015 at 1:54 pm

Morse made no sense here with G# going with a short bench. Even Ishi had to go and he was an excellent 1b. Àaq

• chipower9 said, on July 31, 2015 at 2:02 pm

I agree, 54. Wishing him the best (unless we meet the Bucs in the playoffs), but I like Maxwell’s athleticism and cannon arm over Morse. And Max has some pop, too.

• blade3colorado said, on July 31, 2015 at 2:18 pm

Yeah, I’ll take Maxwell every day and twice on Sunday, if the choices are him and Morse.

• blade3colorado said, on July 31, 2015 at 2:18 pm

. . . and those are poor WTF choices.

• blade3colorado said, on July 31, 2015 at 2:24 pm

Shit, if the brain trust would wake up – they have 2 outstanding bench players in Bum and Leake. He has 76 career hits, which are the most by any Major League pitcher since his debut in 2010. He has twice in his career led National League pitchers in batting average (.356 in 2010, .305 in 2012) and he has five career home runs, including one this season off Atlanta’s Shelby Miller.

By the by, this worked for some pitcher named Babe Ruth . . . Did a half way decent job and was given a full time gig as an outfielder. He wasn’t too shabby.
        🙂

56. chipower9 said, on July 31, 2015 at 2:24 pm

The Panik Attack is back…

Pagan — DH
    Panik — 2B
    Duffy — 3B
    Posey — C
    Pence — RF
    Belt — 1B
    Crawford — SS
    Blanco — CF
    Aoki — LF
    LHP — Madison Bumgarner (11-5, 3.16 ERA)

Also, per John Shea, Hudson says he is fine with going on the DL to create a spot for Leake. Shea: “What’s the injury?” Hudson: “Let’s pick one.”

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 31, 2015 at 2:31 pm

I keep thinking the players union is gonna bitch about this new tendancy of using the DL like that. Then I figured, WTF do they care? They get paid. (Though athletes WANT to play, right? They WANT to compete.) And wasn’t it once true you couldn’t be traded while on the DL? Zack Wheeler was “traded” this week while on the DL. Then wasn’t.

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 31, 2015 at 2:32 pm

I don’t mind that we did not get Parra, esp. if he would’ve bounced Blanco. Anyway, he’s in the AL now, not that even that matters as much as it used to.

57. pawliekokonuts said, on July 31, 2015 at 2:26 pm

…but the Ishi and Morse connection is odd. I’m already nervous if we have to face the Bucs again in one game. They remind me of the Royals in the 70s. Miss, miss, almost, not quite, miss, then BAM. Of course, the Royals remind me of the Royals too.

58. alleykat69 said, on July 31, 2015 at 2:32 pm

Nice add by the Dubs,
    PF Jason Thompson to the Dubs for Gerald Wallace who they got in the David Lee trade.. Total Steal got younger 29 for Thompson, 33 for Wallace and added extra depth at the position they needed..

59. pawliekokonuts said, on July 31, 2015 at 2:33 pm

I miss the days when a commish like Bowie Kuhn could veto a trade “in the best interests of baseball.”

60. alleykat69 said, on July 31, 2015 at 2:36 pm

Actually are bench got stronger the days Bum& Leake don’t pitch, their are best pinch hitters!!!

61. unca_chuck said, on July 31, 2015 at 2:37 pm

Saw that, AK. Thompson was solid in Sacto from what I saw.
    .Like his size and athleticism.

62. pawliekokonuts said, on July 31, 2015 at 2:39 pm

We’re overdue for one of Twin’s epigrammatic, pithy posts, replete with telegraphic simplicity and cogency.

63. Flavor said, on July 31, 2015 at 2:50 pm

another example of the Padres being run by buffoons….

John Gambadoro
    ‏@Gambo987
    Dave Stewart tells Burns and Gambo the Padres wanted Paul Goldschmidt from the Dbacks for closer Craig Kimbrell….WOW

64. blade3colorado said, on July 31, 2015 at 2:52 pm

Giants LU is rated the 3rd best today in DFS, with 4.62 total runs . . . Got one stack of Posey, Belt, and Pence. Other then Kyle Kendrick going for Colorado tonight, Nick Martinez is probably the “gas can” runner up this evening. Expect your Giants to rake this evening.

65. Macdog said, on July 31, 2015 at 2:59 pm

Hudson to DL with shoulder strain.

• ewisco said, on July 31, 2015 at 3:18 pm

Wow.

66. chipower9 said, on July 31, 2015 at 3:09 pm

I was wondering what would come up on the “Mystical Wheel of Injuries” for Hudson. 😉 Mike Leake…come on down!

• sandog said, on July 31, 2015 at 3:44 pm

If I’m not mistaken, the Mythical Wheel of Injuries is very similar to the Wheel of Fortune wheel. It lays flat like the WOF wheel in a secret room in the bowels of ATT. The following are the different possibilities that can come up on the wheel:
      “Shoulder Strain”
      “Elbow Tendinitis”
      “Muscle Strain”
      “Dead Arm”
      “Torn Labrum”
      “Mental Fatigue”
      “Strained Oblique”
      “DFA”

• djloo27 said, on July 31, 2015 at 4:24 pm

The fashionable ones in hockey lately are :

1) Upper body injury
        2) Lower body injury

• unca_chuck said, on July 31, 2015 at 4:30 pm

Football gives you the:

high ankle sprain

turf toe

grade 3 separation

pup list

• pawliekokonuts said, on July 31, 2015 at 5:35 pm

brilliant; and too true; Snarkk, where are ya?

67. sandog said, on July 31, 2015 at 3:47 pm

If you read that article about Photo Ball day, it makes it sounds like the fans at The Stick started showering the field with balls simply because Kevin Rogers served up a bomb to Greg Olson on his second pitch after the Giants had just clawed their way back to take a 6-5 lead!

ATT is a great place, but man, do I miss Candlestick sometimes.

• Bozo said, on July 31, 2015 at 7:58 pm

and it was a Sunday afternoon game.
      The start of the 93 season, the Giants didn’t move to St. Pete in the off season and they brought Barry Bonds home. Everyone was a bit more fired up that year.

68. sandog said, on July 31, 2015 at 3:52 pm

I think the Pads did the right thing, and it was a ballsy move at that, to stand pat and bet that they can get back in this thing. I’m gonna shoot a knowing-dude head knod to the next knucklehead I see down here rocking an AJ Preller jersey.

Flav: Nice pull on the Candy pic.

69. zumiee said, on July 31, 2015 at 4:48 pm

Ah, so the Giants went the ‘fake injury’ route with Hudson. Yeah, that’s always an option, too. Kind of a drag for the player. He can rejoin in September and do some cheer-leading, and who knows, maybe get into a game. He now fully knows he will not be on the playoff roster.

• sandog said, on July 31, 2015 at 4:56 pm

I dunno Zum…….he is certainly persona non grata at the moment, but in this rotation it doesn’t take long to go from the penthouse to the outhouse—- and vice-versa. I bet he finds the ball in his hands again in an important game before it is all said and done.

• Flavor said, on July 31, 2015 at 4:56 pm

Please, he’s got it made. Rather than get run out there every 5th day to get hammered he gets to collect huge checks and hang out with his bros spitting seeds all over everything. Huddy is living the dream…..

70. Flavor said, on July 31, 2015 at 4:55 pm

only negative is, keep your hand on your wallet if you’re ever around Leake….

• zumiee said, on July 31, 2015 at 5:13 pm

Yeah, that kind of story is always real weird, like when Wynona Ryder got caught shoplifting. She’s a millionaire. It doesn’t make any sense, except for something psychological going on. Like when Marie starts shoplifting on “Breaking Bad” because Hank is pyschologically abusing her.

• Flavor said, on July 31, 2015 at 5:15 pm

his story about it today was a joke. So, in addition to being a thief he’s a liar. After reading the excerpts from the police report who would believe this nonsense:
        John Shea ‏@JohnSheaHey 27m27 minutes ago San Francisco, CA
        Leake arrested in ’11 on shoplifting charge, today called it “mishandling of T-shirts. I went to exchange and I exchanged the improper way.”

• zumiee said, on July 31, 2015 at 5:14 pm

At least Leake’s thing is from 4 years ago. So maybe he’s dealt with whatever was going on with him.

71. djloo27 said, on July 31, 2015 at 5:11 pm

So I guess Heston moves up to face Hamels tomorrow and Leake debuts on Sunday?

72. djloo27 said, on July 31, 2015 at 5:22 pm

So the Texas catcher (wearing the old fashioned mask) just got creamed dead on with a foul tip and comes up smiling. I’m convinced the hockey goalie style mask is a big part of the problem. .

• Flavor said, on July 31, 2015 at 5:28 pm

if that was Hector he’d be headless…..

• djloo27 said, on July 31, 2015 at 5:54 pm

lulz!

• zumiee said, on July 31, 2015 at 5:31 pm

A lot of people believe the old fashioned masks are better because they move when they’re hit, and the moving diffuses some of the force. Often you’ll see a catcher end up with the mask sideways on a foul ball with the old-fashioned masks, and that’s effective.

• alleykat69 said, on July 31, 2015 at 5:46 pm