Saturday!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 8, 2015

Sorry, out of pocket yesterday.

Look at it this way, as disappointing as these 2 games vs Chicago have been at least the Giants aren’t the Niners. Jeeeeezus, bad luck seems to not know a floor with them. But I’m not as down on the upcoming season as others are. I’m definitely in a wait and see approach with them.

Chris and his son Clayton were at the game yesterday sitting 5 rows behind the Giants on deck circle. Will try to post a pic of them later. Two Flappers representing in Chi Town. I was having trouble seeing them on tv even when I paused it. Either the guy in the on deck circle was blocking them or an usher was standing there or there were too many other Giants fans around them. I finally texted Chris “just tell Clayton to run naked out to the pitching mound so I can confirm you guys are sitting that close.” His response: “he still wants to go to college so he won’t be doing that.” lqtm.

Definitely worried about Cain today. These hitters can get the ball in the air and that’s something Cain needs to try to avoid today if we want any chance of a W. Losing 3 straight to them would be a big blow……

____________________________

representing.

represent

__________________________

Here’s one of the pics he sent me. It’s Aoki and I didn’t recognize him so I asked Chris who it was. Pretty funny.

aoki

aokitext

1. gianthead said, on August 8, 2015 at 9:01 am

I think this is the end of the road for our bullpen vets. I think we had an amazing 5 year run with the pen but looks like they have shot their load.

This is how confident I am about Cain…I am sitting his ass on my fantasy team hoping to win my WHIP category…

• djloo27 said, on August 8, 2015 at 9:08 am

When they get by now it’s more on guts and experience than their stuff…

• Flavor said, on August 8, 2015 at 9:11 am

the other day, I noted the direction most bullpens have gone: gas throwers, all of them. We got away with, as GH says, “an amazing 5 year run.” Time to re-tool, in my opinion

• James said, on August 8, 2015 at 9:12 am

Well, two of the vets have not been very good. Lopez and Romo certainly do not look done. Whether or not any of them will be around next year is another matter.

• Flavor said, on August 8, 2015 at 9:15 am

you’re attributing *bad luck* to Romo *not being done.” I tend to agree with that. Still, if the trend is to go to bullpen gas throwers he doesn’t fit into that group. I’m not sure Sabean will ever go that route since it’s so against the approach he took to building a dominant bullpen. But it does seem to be working for a lot of other teams.

• James said, on August 8, 2015 at 9:31 am

And Lopez who has been far less effective against righties his entire career didn’t just figure out how to get them out at age 37. He’s been every bit as fortunate as Romo has been unlucky. The number of hits in either case between bad and good is about 6. There is no reason to make a judgement about how they’ll perform in the future against R/L based on that.

Overall, Romo’s WHIP is fine and his fastball is still just good enough, as it always has been. If he’d thrown low 90’s these past 8 years, he’d be heading for the HofF. His slider is as good as Trevor Hoffman’s change up.

I’m down with more gas throwers. But there is a place for Lopez or Romo in any bullpen.

• gianthead said, on August 8, 2015 at 10:26 am

I’m in agreement Flav and my words were influenced by your previous post. Let’s see if they can stay in the race this year and then use all the forthcoming savings on the Lincecum and Hudson contracts to retool the pen first and probably keep Leake.

One left-fielding right-handed slugger if Kelbry is not the man is the last thing on the Christmas list. They have got to play Kelbry as much as possible to see what he has….

2. Flavor said, on August 8, 2015 at 9:17 am

Chris and his son are staying at the same hotel the players are at. Says they spoke to Bochy and Pence, said both were very cool. They’re walking around outside right now and say everyone is already drunk. EVERYONE. That’s hilarious. In the bleachers today.

• djloo27 said, on August 8, 2015 at 9:25 am

Who’s Chris?

• Flavor said, on August 8, 2015 at 10:13 am

Chris is my friend who’s at the game with his son (they were there yesterday and today). We went to college together at LC. He’s posted here a number of times under the handle “Bird Dog”

3. Flavor said, on August 8, 2015 at 9:19 am

the thing about bullpens, they’re a unit. If one or two guys are fucking up the entire unit starts to leak because of compensation. Then comes overwork. It’s just not a cohesive unit right now.

4. Bozo said, on August 8, 2015 at 9:30 am

Nice photo, weird to see the new scoreboard out in Left.

Question, does anyone else wonder why the scribes talk about games back in the wild card standings and not the Division? Is it because we are playing the Cubs and we are in the WC race with them? Or, is it because we’re closer at 1.5 back in the WC race as opposed to 3 back in the Division? I really don’t understand it at this point of the season.
    I know it’s not a big deal, and maybe I’m the only one that thinks anything about it, but I always looked at the WC as something you thought about when you were out of the Division race.

• Flavor said, on August 8, 2015 at 9:32 am

agreed, on all counts. The wild card, as much as I like it being a one game sudden death, sucks for all teams involved. The entire focus of everything should be on winning the division until that’s not realistic anymore. Fuck the wild card.

5. Flavor said, on August 8, 2015 at 9:42 am

I cleaned up the blogroll link to the right and added a couple including daily line ups for mlb. Just FYI

6. Flavor said, on August 8, 2015 at 10:06 am

usually these articles are protected if you don’t subscribe. Very good article by Bruce Jenkins, as always

7. giants54 said, on August 8, 2015 at 10:16 am

With Strickland Osich and a few others coming up through the system ie Law, Black and Crick, think we’ll see a more gas throwing type of pen soon.

8. gianthead said, on August 8, 2015 at 10:32 am

That is my same memory of Wrigley during grad school and driving up for the weekend to Chicago. By 10 am we were shooting pool and relieving our hangovers from the North Side reggae bar before game time….

• Flavor said, on August 8, 2015 at 10:45 am

sounds like a lot of fun. Never been there. Pawlie Kokonuts has a story about Wrigley, if I recall correctly. Maybe he can re-tell

9. wilcojoe said, on August 8, 2015 at 11:12 am

Pretty sweet seats for your friend and his son. I’ve always wanted to stay at the same team hotel as the Giants. Got to put that on my to do list. Every once in a while my dad will take BART in from Concord and have drinks in the various hotel bars in the City while watching the Giants on the tube. Several years back he sat next to the White Sox bullpen coach (in town to play the A’s) who told him baseball stories over beers for a couple of hours.

10. unca_chuck said, on August 8, 2015 at 11:19 am

The Rush St bars are excellent, as are the blues bars . . .

• Flavor said, on August 8, 2015 at 11:30 am

stop spreading more of your nazi propaganda here, Chuck! lol

11. Carstie Clausen said, on August 8, 2015 at 11:31 am

Again, is Bochy losing it? Pagan again slated to leadoff and play center. Einstein’s definition of insanity was if something does not work out to keep on doing it over and over again hoping for a better outcome. Maybe all the heat and humiliated relatives along the road trip have slightly cooked BB15’s skull.

12. Flavor said, on August 8, 2015 at 12:37 pm

John Shea ‏@JohnSheaHey 11m11 minutes ago
    Bochy will rest Pagan tomorrow, two days off with team off Monday. Bochy plans to rest him at least once a week.#sfgiants

13. alleykat69 said, on August 8, 2015 at 12:50 pm

Pagan can get plenty of rest on the DL..

• Carstie Clausen said, on August 8, 2015 at 1:18 pm

Problem with Limppi Hoppinen leading off is that you are pretty much guaranteed a dead start. This effects the moral of players right through the rest of the lineup. Understanding that Bochy is as loyal as a good hunting dog, i am surprised that nobody up the organization seems to have had a little chat with him over this mess.

14. Carstie Clausen said, on August 8, 2015 at 1:19 pm

morale, not moral

15. Carstie Clausen said, on August 8, 2015 at 1:37 pm

Game three and an actual lead against the Cubs. Bit of a return to the Horse attitudes when Matt worked his way outtuv one helluva jam with relatively minimal damage. Back to Belting again. Refreshing and delightful.

16. James said, on August 8, 2015 at 1:48 pm

Pence and Aoki both taking pitches that were closer than too close to take for walks.

17. Bozo said, on August 8, 2015 at 1:49 pm

Of all the times I’ve been to Chicago, I’ve only managed to go to Wrigley once. It was in April and a rainout the day before made my game a double header. This is back when Sosa played RF and I was in the Lower reserved down the RF line, so I got to see his shtick quite a bit that day. The wind was blowing in, the Ernie Banks flag was pointing straight at us, fans were wearing their Bears parkas and I was wearing a wind breaker/rain coat kinda deal. It was cold. The game was against the Dodgers, so I’m thinking I’m in, I can root for the Cubs even in my SF hat, it’s all good. I made the mistake of asking my buddy who was pitching for LA and everyone that could hear me turned and stared at me (maybe this wasn’t going to be that easy). I had slammed down a Chicago dog right when I walked in (right off the grill, it was great), now it was time for a brew. They sell beer in the stands at Wrigley and when the guy came around with ice cold 16oz cans of Old Style, well I had to order one. Did I mention it was cold that day? I held my beer by the rim with just my thumb and index finger peaking out of my jacket sleeve, did I mention it was fucking cold that day? Still, I couldn’t help but order a few beers from my seats. After the first game I hit the head, and you know what? It was heated, and the radio broadcast was playing in there. I debated just hanging in the head and waiting for the beer guy to show up, but I was at the game with a pal. So I start back towards the seats and see my buddy behind a post with a hot chocolate in his hands, time to leave the Friendly Confines and head over to a bar to watch the next game.

Still, I loved my day at Wrigley. At the time they didn’t have the monster electric scoreboard in Left, they didn’t play music between innings or walk-up songs for batters, just the announcer and baseball. It was beautiful, and did I mention it was fucking cold?

• Flavor said, on August 8, 2015 at 1:53 pm

compare it to the coldest weeknight game at Candlestick that you ever went to

• Bozo said, on August 8, 2015 at 3:52 pm

Colder, except there were more people around me to block the wind. Really, that wind off the lake in the early spring can be brutal.

• Flavor said, on August 8, 2015 at 4:05 pm

that’s wild. I can’t imagine a colder baseball game than some of the night games at Candlestick. I remember one game where I was shaking in my seat and I said “remember this moment, it’s the coldest you’ve ever been.”

• Bozo said, on August 8, 2015 at 5:04 pm

Being in the Lower Reserved for a Tuesday night game at the Stick, with the wind whipping around the stadium and only three thousand people around you for additional warmth, yeah I agree that was teeth chattering cold. Sitting in the shade at a Wrigley day game with the wind coming off the lake in early April and wearing only a wind breaker, brutal. Dude, I was thinking about hanging around by the warmth of the pisser, I never did that at the Stick.

18. ewisco said, on August 8, 2015 at 1:59 pm

0-2? Are the giants pitchers just stupid? Jesus h Christ.

19. ewisco said, on August 8, 2015 at 2:02 pm

With any luck 60 pitches to get out of the third. May be closer to 70. Yeah, he’ll give the BP a break. Sigh.

• Macdog said, on August 8, 2015 at 2:20 pm

The only BP I see is batting practice. And now a leadoff double.

20. zumiee said, on August 8, 2015 at 2:02 pm

The Giants’ starting rotation: Bum and the bums.

• sandog said, on August 8, 2015 at 2:40 pm

Might be time to warm up the Mystical Wheel of Injuries….

I wonder if, at some point, they will consider throwing one of the Tim’s back out there if this keeps up with Cain. Vogey would probably get the gig first, then again, he was rumored to be the new closer. Yikes—our staff is something else right now.

21. Flavor said, on August 8, 2015 at 2:35 pm

Pagan. Sucks.

22. Flavor said, on August 8, 2015 at 2:45 pm

I wonder if Cain is still hurt or not feeling right. I can’t remember watching him throw so many balls off the target. Like WAY off the target.

• xoot said, on August 8, 2015 at 4:50 pm

Absolutely. yet he threw some great 92 mph two seamers on the black. he’s not consistent, but he’s not horrible. Maybe it’s just a matter of settling back in. Or maybe it’s a nagging problem that could get worse. Not much fun waiting to see which is which.

23. unca_chuck said, on August 8, 2015 at 2:51 pm

Cain is killing me. No problem getting ahead in the count. Big problem putting guys away.

24. Macdog said, on August 8, 2015 at 2:55 pm

Now I’m being asked at work, What’s happened to Cain?

25. Lurker John said, on August 8, 2015 at 3:28 pm

Flavor, I have to disagree with your “they got away with a 5 year run” comment. You don’t “get away” with anything in major league baseball, let alone for 5 years, and you do not have to be a gas thrower to be a good pitcher, whether it’s out of the ‘pen or in the rotation.

What the Giants had during that run was a cadre of talented and experienced pitchers who knew their roles and how to get the job done. They’ve done it so many times under the most difficult of conditions that there’s no way any component of luck was involved. They were all dominant during the WS years.

That said, it’s looking more and more like Affeldt is done as a 7th and 8th inning guy. With Osich available and having displayed the ability to pitch at this level, you have to wonder how long the G’s will stay with Jeremy. More good news is that the organization has a bevy of talented young arms working their way up through the system.

• Flavor said, on August 8, 2015 at 3:57 pm

It wasn’t really meant as a diss and I agree with your post. I meant that it’s unusual to keep a core group of relievers successful for that long. And of course, all things come to an end. Also, I was pointing out the trend across baseball, which is impossible to ignore, that bullpen guys on all the good teams are all throwing mid to high 90’s. Will that turn out to be the way to go? We’ll see.
      My question to you is, why do you think teams are building bullpens with gas throwers? Accidental? Or are they doing it because they think it’s a better approach to building a successful bullpen?

26. ewisco said, on August 8, 2015 at 3:45 pm

that being said, what’s working its way through the system isn’t nearly as relevant in the near term as the loss of leake and the ineffectiveness of Cain. Getting to the PS this season and getting deep is pretty dependent on those two being effective and neither is right now. Can they still get there? Possibly, but not likely.

27. Flavor said, on August 8, 2015 at 3:52 pm

Pagan. Sucks. My. Balls.

• Bozo said, on August 8, 2015 at 3:55 pm

Better than me, he’s kicking mine.

28. unca_chuck said, on August 8, 2015 at 3:58 pm

Pagan is worse than zero.

• Flavor said, on August 8, 2015 at 4:07 pm

Worth saying again, at least Rowand kept his defense going when he was at the end. And the ONLY hits Pagan seems to have a chance of getting are balls that barely clear the SS or 2nd basemen’s reach. And as Zumiee noted, the outfield if playing him super shallow so if he ever does elevate it a little more it’s get caught.

• ewisco said, on August 8, 2015 at 4:08 pm

I bet bochy benches him tomorrow.

29. unca_chuck said, on August 8, 2015 at 4:01 pm

My kind of town, Chcago isn’t.

30. Flavor said, on August 8, 2015 at 4:24 pm

Pagan Sucks. Casilla Sucks. Everyone Sucks. Fuck this roadtrip.

31. zumiee said, on August 8, 2015 at 4:29 pm

Yogi Berra once said: “When you ain’t got pitchin’, you ain’t got nuthin’.”

32. zumiee said, on August 8, 2015 at 4:52 pm

Dodgers lost. Their record against winning teams is mediocre.

• willedav said, on August 8, 2015 at 6:07 pm

True Zum, but on other hand…Giants lost road series to Nats, came home and lost to Mets, then whipped up on chump teams Phils Pads A’s Brewers plus Braves..
      Then went back on road and lost series to Rangers and now Cubs.
      Might have missed a couple in there, but that’s not doing so well vs. good teams either and we know what rest of August looks like. Hmmnn.

33. Flavor said, on August 8, 2015 at 5:51 pm

in his article at the Merc, Baggs said “Bochy questioned Casilla’s focus on the mound” but didn’t elaborate. That’s a pretty big thing to put out there, I wanted to read the words he used to get a context. Sounds like Baggs just paraphrased Bochy. Either way, Casilla could be moving into the doghouse if he keeps pitching like this.

34. xoot said, on August 8, 2015 at 5:54 pm

Baggarly’s getting very aggressive. Wonder if he’s moving on?

35. Lurker John said, on August 8, 2015 at 6:36 pm

Flavor, I think given a GM’s druthers he’s going to draft and develop guys who throw hard, no question. I would. Throwing hard gives a pitcher more margin for error but it does not supersede the importance of command and the ability to change speeds, i.e. having 2 or 3 good pitches and throwing them well. Strickland proved that last year and not too many guys throw harder than him.

Like I said before, the Giant’s bullpen, the core of it anyway, does seem to be slowing down, but I think the team has stocked the farm pretty well. The younger guys may need to be called up sooner than was anticipated.

Losing 3 straight to the bloody Cubs sucks.

36. Paul Sorensen said, on August 8, 2015 at 8:07 pm

In my clearly hazy recollection of the Giants’ last handful of seasons, Bochy always seemed very calm through the doldrums of June and July, mixing and matching, trying to see what he could count on for the stretch, then piecing things together for a run thru August and September. Now, though, with the pitching kind of f-ed up and problems with injuries (Panik, Pagan), it’s starting to look like he’s going to need all of August to “piece things together” (including possibly any waiver wire acquisitions), making September truly a stretch drive month. If they can keep close thru August AND figure out the holes that need fixing, Sept. will be exciting. If they can’t patch the holes in the next few weeks, Sept. might not be enough time to put it all together for October.

The tough schedule doesn’t end on August 31st, either… there’s not a “comfortable” stretch of home series until Sept. 10th. If this team is going to make a run at 4 in 6, they’re going to do it on the road, against good teams, plugging holes as they go. It can be done: I think it was in 2010, the team kind of stumbled thru August and Bochy started talking wildcard, not division, by the end of August, with just September to play. Of course, San Diego choked with that 10-game losing streak in September. Giants might need that kind of help from someone again. Giddyup, boys….

37. Carstie Clausen said, on August 8, 2015 at 8:50 pm

Again, for want of a fireman, three runs were given away. Kontos could not stop Cain’s bleeding but did fine once he started a clean inning. Ditto Lopez was unable to clear Casilla’s mess. Does Osich have what it takes to be the fireman, coming on in the 5th or 6th and clamping down an ice-pack? Or would he be better as a setup man? Ditto Strickland. Thinking Hunter gets the closer nod or at least a platoon with Romo pretty damned soon. Maybe Casilla’s lil brother Jose who is doing well at Richmond should boot his big bro to the DL. Don’t know what would do for peace in the family but just possibly could do wonders for the peace of mind of Giants fans.

38. Paul Sorensen said, on August 8, 2015 at 9:12 pm

With this team, this year, things have a way of sorting out. They look gawd-awful one week (or 2 or 3) and then suddenly they’re world beaters. Yeah, that whole inconsistency thing, which really isn’t too big a deal if things do even out over time… it’s just maddening for us fans. But, kinda getting used to it with this bunch. I was trying to remember another Chicago trip that was a bit painful… I’m thinking it was 2011, was that when Beltran joined the team? G’s were in 1st place by about 4 games nearing the end of July, Beltran came on board I think just in time for a 4 game series at Wrigley (or maybe it was just after it), and the whole team just tanked for a few weeks, essentially ending any hope of the post-season. I’m not liking 4 game series at Wrigley in late summer….

39. alleykat69 said, on August 8, 2015 at 10:36 pm

First 3 starters in this series have only gone 4 innings, recipe for disaster for an overworked pen, especially an old pen on a brutal road trip.

40. zumiee said, on August 9, 2015 at 7:30 am

Nice photos on the main post. Very cool.