A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

Time For a Win

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 9, 2015

Losing 3 straight to the Cubs isn’t really the problem. It’s only 3 games. It’s HOW we are losing them. Basically, they are kicking our ass. Luck has not been beating us. They’ve been hitting better, they’ve been pitching better. The only thing we’ve been doing better is “Brandon Crawfording” them. He’s been brilliant, especially in the field. If it weren’t for him, the score differential would be much worse. They’ve scored first in every game. We’ve led for exactly one inning of one game (yesterday we led 2-1 in the 2nd inning, they jumped back ahead 3-2 the next inning).

So *Summer’s Warning Track* or whatever you want to call it has not started out well for us. There is no end to this any time soon. It’s going to be one tough series after another with very few days off. Our pitching is littered with question marks. Angel Pagan can barely still play baseball. We have several very good players and a team I trust implicitly in terms of chemistry, focus and experience.

The weather sucks in Chicago today, could take a while to get this one in…….

1. pawliekokonuts said, on August 9, 2015 at 6:52 pm

A postgame evacuation of Wrigley would seemingly be easy. Who’s there?

2. Carstie Clausen said, on August 9, 2015 at 7:12 pm

When all is said and done about this lamentable series, today’s fluff out with bases loaded and nobody out in the 9th just put icing on the cake Cain baked yesterday in celebration of the even year.

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 9, 2015 at 7:27 pm

someone left that cake out in the rain and I just can’t take it [possibly worst song lyrics in history]

• Flavor said, on August 9, 2015 at 7:47 pm

“this cake is made of shit and all I wanna do is throw it in Yasiel Puig’s dumb face.” Can’t remember who wrote that one,or where I heard it, but I like it

3. Macdog said, on August 9, 2015 at 7:58 pm

We have a Puig moment — and the Buccos have tied it!

4. xoot said, on August 9, 2015 at 8:09 pm

Jim Johnson is one sad ass punching bag tonight.

• unca_chuck said, on August 9, 2015 at 8:42 pm

Yup, the fuckin’ A’s bailed in him after 3 weeks or some shit

5. Macdog said, on August 9, 2015 at 8:14 pm

Pirates pouring it on!

6. Flavor said, on August 9, 2015 at 8:17 pm

the Dodgers are a joke. 8 bazillon dollar payroll and they forgot to build a bullpen……

7. willedav said, on August 9, 2015 at 8:19 pm

epic meltdown by LA, best news all day.

8. zumiee said, on August 9, 2015 at 8:35 pm

This Dodger game is making me feel a little better. 🙂

9. Lisle Ellis said, on August 9, 2015 at 8:38 pm

gotta confess … If the Giants are gonna go down I’m hoping it will be either the Pirates or Cubs who have success in their stead … I’ve a soft it for both those towns … Chicago has suffered a long drought, as we all know … Pittsburgh is a city in which I’ve often thought about taking up residence. Great setting, wonderful people and vibrant arts and cultural scene.

• djloo27 said, on August 9, 2015 at 8:44 pm

I guess it’s not just a bunch of steel mills anymore.
      Looks like they gave it a big bath or something…

• blade3colorado said, on August 10, 2015 at 10:24 am

You wouldn’t recognize it anymore. The river has been cleaned up. Steel mills are gone from the city limits, albeit corporate offices are still there (a good thing IMO). The region has shifted to high technology, robotics, health care, nuclear engineering, tourism, biomedical technology, finance, education and services. Also, as LE said – it now has a vibrant arts and cultural scene. In short, not your father’s Pittsburgh.

• willedav said, on August 10, 2015 at 8:01 am

birthplace of one of my heroes, Art Blakey too. Pirates would be cool team to watch in playoffs.

If SF can’t get in I could enjoy seeing Mets keep Nats out of it. No more Cards (or of course LA) in WS neither.

Stros stay in town for 2 more. 23-34 on the road this season after dropping 3 of 4 to A’s….hmmn

10. snarkk said, on August 10, 2015 at 8:48 am

Btw, the pre game scene around the Bluejays stadium ( Rogers centre, looks like a warehouse from the outside) is pretty nice. Lots of bars, restaurants. Right downtown. Did not go to a game, other stuff to do. But fans seemed into it. Still in Quebec — I better get home soon to stop this losing streak. Sabean blew it by not getting bench/OF help with Pagan hurt and apparently near useless according to Flapper posts…

11. chipower9 said, on August 10, 2015 at 9:24 am

What a shit series. Craig was right in the lead-in to the thread…Cubbies were playing better in every facet of the game. Our boys had their chances in almost every game, but could not get that key knock.

On the flip-side, our pitchers just could not stay away from that critical inning (starters could not go deep, and the pen could not hold).

But I am not going to panic for now. We are missing some key pieces in Panik, Leake, and Susac (Hector just needs to go away).

Just need to get healthy, stay close, and get the key outs from our pitchers, and key knocks from our offense.

The Stros have a shitting road record…let’s add to that beginning tomorrow with a Gigante win!

12. ewisco said, on August 10, 2015 at 10:00 am

off day today?

• chipower9 said, on August 10, 2015 at 10:26 am

Yep…thank goodness. I think they need a day to regroup and get back to playing winning ball.

13. chipower9 said, on August 10, 2015 at 10:27 am

Circle August 25-27…Cubbies come to town. It will be time to return the favor.

14. Flavor said, on August 10, 2015 at 10:29 am

Planning on a new thread after lunch, after I’ve put myself in a more + frame of mind.

• eddacker said, on August 10, 2015 at 11:00 am

go stare at the BBOTD – instant positive vibe

15. eddacker said, on August 10, 2015 at 10:59 am

Has the thrill of 3 in 5 victories turned the Flapper Nation into yankmee fans? [incoherent simpletons prone to annoyingly criticize and disdain anything other than winning]

This team – the team that is so much a part of your soul – has been big-time-Timmy-Jim WINNERS and does it feel so powerfully good that the mere hint of losing makes us irrational idiots? Is it like flying high on the best cocaine with the hottest babe at the party and an erection harder than prison steel and nothing less will ever do again?

, “it is over before it’s over” just because a tired and injured road team runs into a hot-hot home team. Be amazed that the hot team is the cubbies. Not that your team struggles sometimes doing what it does.

Read this list and then say it’s all bad:

2014 We were in first place 10 games ahead of everyone the first week of June and down in second place the first week of July.

We were 3, 4 and 5 games out during August and at the end of September after being swept in SD AND losing 2 of 3 in LA we landed with the last WC position (6 games out) thanks to that stunning May.

Four months of “oh, shit” giants baseball from a team only a mother could love. But, were we done? HA!

Read this list and rejoice motherfuckers:

WC (1-0): San Francisco Giants over Pittsburgh Pirates
    LDS (3-1): San Francisco Giants over Washington Nationals
    NLCS (4-1): San Francisco Giants over St. Louis Cardinals
    We lost 2 games!

And then in true SF Giants torture fashion in a series that could have gone either way didn’t.

WORLD SERIES (4-3): SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS OVER KANSAS CITY ROYALS

So let us remember rule 62 and absolutely enjoy the magical times we live in. The seemingly impossible coming together of baseball talent, both management and players (I leave the medical staff for another discussion) in a mystical, wondrous, delightful manner. Or as James would say in natural patterns and rational predictability.

Go Gigantes!

• blade3colorado said, on August 10, 2015 at 11:46 am

Good post Ed.

• Lisle Ellis said, on August 10, 2015 at 11:54 am

I agreed … a most excellent observation Ed!

• zumiee said, on August 10, 2015 at 11:57 am

Awesome post, Ed! You have me believing!
      A difference between this season and last, though, is that the Giants and Pirates were pretty much it for Wild Card contenders in the NL last year. Nobody else really challenged. There are more contenders this season for the Wild Card spots. I’m just sayin.’ 🙂
      But your points are well-taken! You have inspired us!

• chipower9 said, on August 10, 2015 at 12:23 pm

I am not sure that numbers (contending for a WS spot) are consequential. It is all about getting in and getting hot. At this point, I say screw the WC (well, put it in the hip pocket), and focus on winning the division. WTH…why not.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 10, 2015 at 12:24 pm

Fuckin-a right Ed.

16. unca_chuck said, on August 10, 2015 at 12:19 pm

Apropos of Gifford’s passing (I think it was WillieD who noted Chuck Bednarik passed this year as well), here’s the pic of Bednarik after he knocked Gifford unconscious and into retirement ( for a year anyway).

I’m sure Frank’s smiling have been released from being married to Kathie Lee . . .

17. pawliekokonuts said, on August 10, 2015 at 12:26 pm

Edddd, great post. And Loo’s rejoinder to xoot yesterday had me lqtm-ing aloud.

18. chipower9 said, on August 10, 2015 at 12:40 pm

One thing this roadie confirmed (and it is something about which most Flappers have been aware, and on which many have commented) is that the bench sucks. Before the trade deadline, upgrading the bench was listed as a top priority by many here (I was in that camp).

Getting healthy (as I mentioned earlier) will help, but I still think that Sabevans needs to do some type of waiver-wire (or dumpster dive) deal. This is why I was so adamant that they needed to make a run at Parra, etc.

19. pawliekokonuts said, on August 10, 2015 at 12:41 pm

So it turns out that eddddddaaacker is our own version of The Reverend Pence. I read his pep talk again. Epic. Classic. Vintage. Put it in the HOF of Flap Formulations. Thanks. I needed that, edddddddd!

20. Flavor said, on August 10, 2015 at 2:31 pm