Re-Focusing Priorities

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 11, 2015

The Astros come to town and this would be a good series to turn things around. Bum should pile up the K’s against a team that loves to swing and miss. The problem, for us, is when they don’t miss. But if we can’t feel confident with Bum going at home then this season is over. So, I feel good about tonight’s game.

3 things need to happen:

1. we need to stop thinking about the wildcard and focus 100% on winning the division. The Dodgers aren’t very good and starting in August 31st we play them 7 times. You want to chew up games at rototiller speed, that’s the time to do it.
  2. We need to somehow make it to September within 6 games of LA. Our September schedule is a combination of Disneyland and a rolling daisy patch field. Get to September within hailing distance of LA and the last 30 days of the season could be exciting as hell.
  3. In order for #1 and #2 to happen, we need to pick up James Shields and bench help immediately. The team as presently constructed has no chance…….

1. Flavor said, on August 11, 2015 at 6:30 am

James– I’m going to go through your strike zone data later today. Looked interesting on first glance.

2. sfsarge said, on August 11, 2015 at 7:02 am

I’m down for Shields and Utley if he can be had for cheap. The next Pat the bat?

• Flavor said, on August 11, 2015 at 7:25 am

well, he wouldn’t start unless something is really wrong with Panik. But at his age and the way his body has broken down, it’s probably best he play a utility role the same way Blanco does.

• willedav said, on August 11, 2015 at 7:34 am

something or other has been wrong with Panik for a while now–he tried to play through it, took a couple days off, yada yada. Backs are so tricky and anything like diving to stop a ground ball could set it off again even if he says he is OK.
        He was having such a fine season, and now it’s down to Kid Kelby and TripleO.

3. willedav said, on August 11, 2015 at 7:28 am

Shields since he cleared would be a trade where SF would give up someone/maybe Pads pay back some of what he is owed, $21 mil for next 3 yrs. As James mentioned I believe, that’s similar to what SF owes Cain with likely much more production. And any FA guy available will be expensive…Shields is no kid so depends how much value you really think is left next month + over that time period.

Utley will not cost much either if claimed and coming off injury could give quite a boost to LU, unlike other bench guys. Only ? would be how much PT would it take to keep him motivated and into it, esp if Panik comes back OK. Solid vet guy probably lot better than what he has shown this season.
    Good interview with csn Philly guy over on csnbayarea. And right now SF can block a deal to Dodgers; if Phils pull him back they are stuck with him for rest of season.

SF is still in it and LA looks vulnerable with Kendrick out of LU, pen issues and Mattingly at helm. But I’m wondering if this is just a brad penny year with all the injuries to regulars and that next year SF will be much improved minus dead weight/addition(s) to roster from call ups/FAs.

4. sfsarge said, on August 11, 2015 at 7:42 am

Utley would be a great bench upgrade and I don’t know what the Pads would want for Shields. But in theory they both sound like good pickups. I think if they do pick up an Utley it would take pressure off Panik having to try to rush to get back out there. Having had my own back issues, I know that they just need time and having a decent backup buys some.

5. unca_chuck said, on August 11, 2015 at 7:43 am

Well, as it stands yeah, the rest of August will determine September.

6. sfsarge said, on August 11, 2015 at 7:45 am

And as far as LA is concerned, I say they implode down the stretch due to locker room turmoil and incompetence of Mr two trips. (My favorite flap nickname btw)

7. chipower9 said, on August 11, 2015 at 7:48 am

Good thread, Craig. And I agree especially with your first bullet point, and said the same thing a thread or two back (on that day we were 3.5 back in the WC, and 3 behind the bums). To me, unless mathematically eliminated, the focus should always be winning the division, first.

I am not convinced we need BG James, but WTF it isn’t my money. I don’t see SD picking up any of his salary, so we would owe him what remains this year and 21 mil for each of the next three years. There is a 16 mil club option in 2019 with a 2 mil buyout. Also, he can opt out of the contract after 2016 (no later than 3 days after World Series). I have never been a big fan, and when I heard that he asked for, and got, a hotel suite on the road…well, I liked him even less.

I think the bench is a more critical area in need of an upgrade. Fuck it…go get Utley (the Giants were scouting him in SD the other day) and another OFer (so Pagan can try to get right).

Overall, as I and many other Flappers have said over the past several days, no way is it time to hit the panic button (hell, I haven’t even considered scouting out any ledges or bridges). Just stay close, get healthy, and strenghen the bench.

8. chipower9 said, on August 11, 2015 at 8:20 am

Here is a piece I read on Utley yesterday, where he basically says he is open to a trade (this from CSNPhilly).

9. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 11, 2015 at 8:28 am

Krukow talking bench exposure yesterday, Kuiper floating the balloon this morning that Panik may not return as soon as hoped. Larry Baer is a media mastermind on par with Roger Ailes.

10. willedav said, on August 11, 2015 at 8:34 am

As for Belt and K zone, I think he can be more aggressive on borderline outside pitches, esp given:
    Defensive shift is on and pitcher is going away from his own D.
    He has power that way as he has shown on road trip blasting opp field HRs.
    lone IF is at normal SS position, so bunt or dink into shallow LF is open.

Sure all this has to be decided in blink of an eye with 90mph heat coming in, but I’d rather see him swing in those situations than rely on a clueless ump b/c he has ability to make good things happen there.

11. unca_chuck said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:09 am

Yeah, I agree. As many times as Belt’s been victim of borderline calls, the way to beat that is to be just a LITTLE more aggressive. Esp since they are attacking the outside corner, and if he just slaps it toward LF, he’s got a hit. Working the count is well and good, but taking close pitches on a 2-strike count is a recipe for failure.

I’m sure there are umps that dig getting the reaction they do out of Belt. Or Pagan for that matter.

12. giants54 said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:17 am

Interesting that two guys (panda/shields) G’s went after heavily are now being dangled….both teams in fact seemingly anxious to dump them at a steep discount. File it in the careful what you wish for category.

• chipower9 said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:40 am

Agree, 54. I am not sold on Shields. Utley…hell yes…bring him in pronto, and go dumpster dive for the next “Pat the Bat.”

13. chipower9 said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:41 am

Nice read from Baggs on the Duffman.

14. unca_chuck said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:43 am

Chuck, I;m the opposite. I think Shields can pitch well here. Utley looks and sounds too much like Uggla.

• chipower9 said, on August 11, 2015 at 10:57 am

Charlie – for the coin (and I know…it isn’t my money, so why should I give a flying fuck), I think there may be better options. And I still think Utley can help, even if Panik returns and is productive the rest of the way. What I would love to see is the addition of a decent OFer who can kick Pagan’s ass to the DL. I think Pagan could be an important piece if he can get healthy between now and the end of the season.

Back to Utley, hell, his base salary is only 10 mil this year. The remainder of the season is chump change. He is a FA after this year (well, he has some performance options that probably are not going to vest). He could be Scoots Part II. I say WTF…roll the dice.

And of course, from our armchairs, our opinions don’t mean jack shit in the grand scheme of things, but it is still fun to kick the tires, and hopefully the boys will do the rest and light the fires.

A potential plus re: Shields is he can opt-out of his contract after next year. But, no guarantee he will do so.

The other thing that bugs me about BG is he has given-up a lot of HRs in the pitcher-friendly confines in SD.

15. unca_chuck said, on August 11, 2015 at 11:03 am

Yeah what’sver helps the bench is a good thing. What usually happens is something no one dreams up anyway (like a trade for Kemp) so we just wait and see.

16. James said, on August 11, 2015 at 11:13 am

BF, WillieD, the problem is maybe best summarized by two graphs. The first shows all strikes called against Belt in 2015, the second all the balls:

The disparity between calls that favor the pitcher over the hitter is criminal and the umps are clearly NOT clueless. Yes, Belt has opposite field power, but the reality is he (and other players) will never hit with as much authority when hacking at pitches off the plate. Imagine if the range of those pitches on the outside was 1-2 inches towards the plate, which is what would happen if the zone were called honestly.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 11, 2015 at 11:27 am

I thought your links were interesting. Are you in favor of automated strike zones?

• gianthead said, on August 11, 2015 at 11:34 am

Any one follow that Eric Byrnes strike zone minor league experiment. They talked a lot about it on mlb channel before the experiment but have seen nothing since.

I think the automated strike zone system will be inevitable…

• James said, on August 11, 2015 at 11:36 am

I’d prefer MLB to compel the umps to do away with the phantom outside strike first.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 11, 2015 at 11:57 am

Agree with you there James. I’d prefer some effort to address the pitch calling but really its been an ongoing issue that hasn’t changed. Maybe they’re aging our the umps. Who knows?

• chipower9 said, on August 11, 2015 at 12:47 pm

It is an ongoing issue, because it is not enforced, with penalties against umps who regularly call pitches incorrectly. It will never change unless there is some type of enforcement with some teeth.

• chipower9 said, on August 11, 2015 at 12:45 pm

Interesting stuff, James. Thanks for sharing. I, like you, would prefer that the strikezone be called per the rule book, first. And make the umps accountable through reviews of the games they call.

But unfortunately, I think eventually there will be an automated strike zone/ball-strike caller.

17. gianthead said, on August 11, 2015 at 11:33 am

I’d offer the Phils Adrianza and nothing more. Unless the Pads pay a third of Shields’ deal, I am not making that deal.

Giants have something like $60 mill coming of the books, I am not giving Shields a third of that essentially. And f him. He turned us down in the first place. I think management wants a free hand after this year to restructure and use that money wisely.

I say we go after Greinke hard in the off-season to stick it to the Dodgers. I am worried about Cain and we may need a legit #2 arm.

I am still pisses about that Hector Sanchez at bat Sunday. How can he not take that first pitch after he hit Adrianza to walk the bases loaded??? That was one of the worst Giant at-bats in a long while in a critical situation.

I think we fight for the division. I think Pirates are legit and cubs may have found their groove.

• zumiee said, on August 11, 2015 at 11:55 am

Yeah, none of the pitches he swung at were strikes. I don’t get how he, as a catcher, wouldn’t understand how they were pitching him.

• ewisco said, on August 11, 2015 at 12:53 pm

they threw him the SAME GOD DAMNED PITCH!! and he swung at it every time!!! reminded me of the brain dead caribbean hackers swinging at slop comment.

• chipower9 said, on August 11, 2015 at 12:48 pm

I am absolutely with you on making a hard run at Grienke! And yes…fuck BG James. He can go to his hotel suite on the road and beat off for all I care…

18. sandog said, on August 11, 2015 at 11:42 am

No way in hell the Pads work with us on a Shields deal.

19. zumiee said, on August 11, 2015 at 11:58 am

It’s easy to understand what happens with some of the umps, from a psychological standpoint. Strikes are better than balls, and outs are better than hits and walks, to an ump. Whatever gets the game done sooner, and gets them off the field, and on their way to dinner.

• chipower9 said, on August 11, 2015 at 12:50 pm

Yep…because, as I mentioned earlier, there is NO accountability to call the strike zone the way it is written in the rule book. Until that day comes, it will be business as usual, until an automated/computerized method is employed.

20. Irish Kevin said, on August 11, 2015 at 12:51 pm

Why is it that the Giants can’t have a healthy 2nd Baseman for a whole year? Once an athlete starts having back issues they never go away due to the rigors of their jobs. I hope the Giants Med staff due a thorough exam before they say Panik is ready to go.
    It appears that the Baseball Gods have looked down at the Giants and said oh no, no back to back for you guys. I mean look at the list of players who have been on the DL, Pence, Cain, Aoki, Panik, and right after the Giants pick him up Leake goes on the DL. I don’t remember (I am old so forgive me) this many Giants being on the DL in one season.

• chipower9 said, on August 11, 2015 at 1:02 pm

What type of “thorough exam” do you suggest, Kev? And I am not being flippant here. Seriously…what can the medicos do to be certain that Panik is good to go?

The dude already had an MRI that was negative (showed some inflamation, but nothing serious). So, not sure what can be done, other than trusting Panik to tell them he feels good and ready.

• giants54 said, on August 11, 2015 at 1:22 pm

A realist might say they have had their share of good fortune during the 3 in 5 run…..and the odds long on another Scutaro or Burrell falling into their lap and leading them to a 4th in 6…

Hard enough to win one in 20 years.

But of course, diidn’t think they had a prayer Aug of last yr.
      \

21. chipower9 said, on August 11, 2015 at 1:02 pm

Nice piece from Ann Killion on the Gigantes.

22. pawliekokonuts said, on August 11, 2015 at 1:15 pm

I’ve said it here before (Hart Seely’s idea, not mine): go all high-tech; automated strike zone and umps with iPads. Boom.

23. Macdog said, on August 11, 2015 at 1:25 pm

Quit the whining about Belt, at least he’s never had to deal with this guy: http://tinyurl.com/prdvjcz

24. djloo27 said, on August 11, 2015 at 1:28 pm

Utley coming here makes no sense to me.
    What ever happened to that Questech (?) thing a couple of years ago and what was the point of it?

• unca_chuck said, on August 11, 2015 at 2:25 pm

I think it proved the point that these guys have imaginary strike zones that are neither consistent nor evenly enforced. It was making the umps look so bad they ditched it.

The QuesTec website hasn’t been updated since 2004 . . .

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 11, 2015 at 2:34 pm

I thought it was a nacho dish at the yard.

25. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 11, 2015 at 1:43 pm

Utley doesn’t make sense unless Panik is out longer than expected. K&K are already laying the groundwork on their morning KNBR call in. I’d rather see Big Game Jane. I guess. It’s better than the turnstile shit show of Hudson, Lincecum and Vogelsong. Or holding out hope that Cain turns the corner. Hopefully Aoki-san is okay after taking that pitch to the dome. Once Susac comes back dump Hacktor, move Pagan to the bench and put El Tiburon in CF already. A bench of Pagan, Susac, Maxwell (snort, seriously) isn’t unbearable. Okay, maybe find someone better than Maxwell.

26. Flavor said, on August 11, 2015 at 2:30 pm

Why wouldn’t SD work with us on a deal for SHields? Because of that idiotic phantom rule about not trading within the division? If they are so riddled with buyers remorse, shouldn’t they WANT us to take him? Think of Shields as an insurance policy of Cain. ANd then maybe one of you can cobble together a super cheapo insurance policy on SHields. lqtm

27. Flavor said, on August 11, 2015 at 2:34 pm

LU is out. No Pagan.

Blanco
    Duffy
    Posey
    Pence
    Belt
    Craw
    Max
    Agent 000
    Bum

• chipower9 said, on August 11, 2015 at 4:07 pm

And no Aoki-san, either…Silver Hammer gets the start…ugh…

28. wilcojoe said, on August 11, 2015 at 2:54 pm

I think the Padres are more likely to help us if it means fucking over the Dodgers. Didn’t the Padres help us in 2010? For some reason, I thought they cock blocked the Dodgers on a waiver wire deal that eventually worked in our favor. Maybe I am mistaken.

• chipower9 said, on August 11, 2015 at 4:08 pm

I know we “cock-blocked” them (Dago) on Cody Ross in 2010. 🙂

• wilcojoe said, on August 11, 2015 at 5:25 pm

Maybe that’s what I was thinking of. For some reason, I thought the Padres were involved somehow.

• wilcojoe said, on August 11, 2015 at 5:27 pm

I mean Dodgers and Padres.

29. djloo27 said, on August 11, 2015 at 2:55 pm

I’m still annoyed that there was no retaliation for the Aoki beaning and Pence knockdown.
    Not even a brush back…

• Lisle Ellis said, on August 11, 2015 at 3:54 pm

I agree .. What was up with that? It was a fuckin head shot for Christi sake! Somebody’s gotta pay for that … an eye for an eye … Maybe they are waiting till the Cubs show up here and we’ll go after Schawaber or whatever- the fuk his name is!

30. djloo27 said, on August 11, 2015 at 3:29 pm

The guy on the Phillies who’s a better fit for us than Utley is veteran utility man Andres Blanco.
    With that name, he should be a Giant…

31. Flavor said, on August 11, 2015 at 3:58 pm

looks like Perez is up, Pagan to DL

32. unca_chuck said, on August 11, 2015 at 4:07 pm

Bout time. . . .

33. unca_chuck said, on August 11, 2015 at 4:10 pm

Speaking of trading in the division, I’m still pissed the Pads traded McGriff to the Braves.

• alleykat69 said, on August 11, 2015 at 6:06 pm

Got that right Chuck,
      As soon as Crime Dog McGriff arrived in Atlanta are lead disappeared faster then Jimmy Hoffa..

• ewisco said, on August 11, 2015 at 8:33 pm

Biggest crime in baseball. SD got nothing for him. And yes. Still pisses me off.

34. eddacker said, on August 11, 2015 at 5:36 pm

Back a few years ago when I was working IT for a company that did a lot of R&D I wanted to invent the “automated strike zone”. Although my idea was more of an “assistant” and easy to do. the problem, as always, is cheating. EasyPeasy to set up the edges of home plate; a little less so for top and bottom which varies with each batter. My idea had a sensor sewn into uniforms at the optimal location for each batter. Then as the pitcher released the ball a couple of well placed lasers energized and the left/fight/top/bottom of the zone for each batter appeared in a low visibility box. I will not go into all the details but the umpires would remain and they would “see” an outline to help them make calls more accurately. Perhaps the catcher would be able to see the box, too, and be the way to keep umpires honest. The box would be visible for so short a time it would only be useful to the umpire in making his calls. Everyone else is watching other things.

Anyway, today everyone has something going with cameras and pitch fx like stuff. And the recent experiment in Marin was an example.

• alleykat69 said, on August 11, 2015 at 6:12 pm

That’s one team that didn’t sit on their asses at the trade deadline Lisle.
      Their going all in, something we could of done but didn’t do at the deadline.

• Flavor said, on August 11, 2015 at 6:16 pm

so what would stop the hitter from crouching down to tighten the strike zone? By the way, I like the idea.

• eddacker said, on August 12, 2015 at 7:57 am

As you know Magnus – everyone (?) knows the story of Eddie Gaedel – that would be legal but still dodgy as I believe the rule book says ‘natural’ stance(?).
        I have not recently read the rule and I am not going to because one or another flapper will and I appreciate that.

BUT next time you are in a softball game do a few at-bats trying this method and see if it works for you. Especially your power and motion (don’t injure yourself if you ever swing).
        An umpire is there to speed up the game. Otherwise we would have to wait for the batter/catcher/pitcher/coaches to agree on every pitch. And the variables related to the top and bottom of the strike zone (and the skill of pitchers today) makes for a slippery situation to solve either with human or technical solutions.
        peace

• ewisco said, on August 11, 2015 at 8:35 pm

I was always taught you need three orthogonal cameras to accurately measure trajectory.

• eddacker said, on August 12, 2015 at 7:45 am

Yes, using CAMERA technology synced to a computer, you get those great arching displays from pitcher’s hand to catcher’s mitt. The camera/computer approximation of the box (strike zone) is a best estimate as is the umpire’s and as in my method (which was created to minimize tech interference with the game and to ‘assist’ the ump’s accuracy) is vulnerable to the variable top and bottom of the strike zone related to a batter’s natural stance. As you know pitch/fx itself never claims to be more or less accurate than the one the umpire is using but it does expose obvious differences.

35. Lisle Ellis said, on August 11, 2015 at 5:46 pm

Oh man … Toronto has one hella scary lineup … I sure hope someone in the AL can take ’em down so we don’t have to face ’em in the WS … 😉

• Lisle Ellis said, on August 11, 2015 at 6:02 pm

Also … does anyone else find in strangely ominous that the combined slugging percentage of Tulo, Donaldson, Joey Bats, Encarnarcion, and Martin works to be .666 …???

• Flavor said, on August 11, 2015 at 6:19 pm

Toronto has a good first half of the line up offense, one dominant SP (and really only 1 SP I’d be afraid of in the playoffs) and a substandard bullpen and an unproven closer. So, I’d take my chances against Toronto and not be too worried actually

• djloo27 said, on August 11, 2015 at 6:33 pm

Before they almost moved to Tampa, the Giants almost moved to Toronto…

• eddacker said, on August 12, 2015 at 8:00 am

LOL too scary, I will never watch that team out of fud.

36. Lisle Ellis said, on August 11, 2015 at 6:38 pm

But don’t you get it Flav? … they’re in league with some unholy forces … knowing the city of Toronto as I do, it doesn’t surprise me that they’d have a pack with Beelzebub … an early name of the city was “Hogtown” … as in, “the sow is mine”!!!

I heard that when MLB first moved to Toronto the city wanted to change the shape of the baseball diamond to a baseball “pentangle”!

• Lisle Ellis said, on August 11, 2015 at 6:45 pm

And ICYMI … The mayor is the devil incarnate.

• djloo27 said, on August 11, 2015 at 6:55 pm

I see “The Splash” in Lisle’s future…

• Flavor said, on August 11, 2015 at 7:15 pm

I’m not too worried about them. 🙂

37. alleykat69 said, on August 11, 2015 at 6:39 pm

Just still glad they moved from NY to SF..

38. Paul Sorensen said, on August 11, 2015 at 6:56 pm

Yeah, Loo, I hear ya that Utley might not seem to make sense, unless Panik is not going to be 100% the rest of the way, which is a very real possibility. I really really really don’t want to see G’s management do with Panik what they’ve done with Pagan: *hoping* he’d magically heal and be the old Angel once again. “Yeah, we hoped Panik’s back would be ok”…. I say, do something now just in case. If Utley had to man the bench most of the time, it still would be an improvement, and Phils probably wouldn’t require much from SF for him. If both Pagan and Panik do NOT return to 100% and the team has no suitable replacement, they’re not making the playoffs.

• giants54 said, on August 11, 2015 at 7:30 pm

GM Evans is saying the Phlllies want the value of a everyday player in return for Utley, so probably not happening.

• chipower9 said, on August 11, 2015 at 8:51 pm

I do not think there is any way to know how Panik will do…even though his MRI showed only inflammation (no tissue damage). I just think with his vet presence, coming off the bench, and to spell Panik when needed, that Utley does make sense. Sure a hell of a lot better than Adrianza. Ehire needs to GO.

39. djloo27 said, on August 11, 2015 at 7:19 pm

I always forget that Houston is in the AL.

40. alleykat69 said, on August 11, 2015 at 7:20 pm

Agree Flavor,,
    Panik is as much as a ? Mark then Pagan is really.Were dead meat at 2 nd right now more then the OF , though that needs tweaking as well.
    At least with Utley you have a proven starter,vet, bench guy, and if Panik comes back ok, and we make the playoffs, and go for the 4 in 6, just staying positive, we have our DH in Utley a proven playoff stud..

• alleykat69 said, on August 11, 2015 at 7:23 pm

Oops jumped by a Post, that was for Paul/Asia.. Must be in Vietnam time in my mind!!

• djloo27 said, on August 11, 2015 at 7:24 pm

McGiggles flopped and apparently after 11 AB so has McGoggles…

• alleykat69 said, on August 11, 2015 at 7:48 pm

Lol Loo!
        McGoggles at least is not a MC Double Play machine.
        Maybe Kelby should lose the glasses and look like Craig Biggio who’s a Hall of Famer

• zumiee said, on August 11, 2015 at 7:57 pm

He’s hitting .273 and has committed no errors, but Adrianza is amazeballs to Bochy.

41. giants54 said, on August 11, 2015 at 7:31 pm

Gomez is such a tool…I.hope he hurt himself celebrating

42. djloo27 said, on August 11, 2015 at 7:41 pm

Halfway to Seaver’s record…

43. alleykat69 said, on August 11, 2015 at 7:59 pm

Undertaker adding coffins to the arcade wall 7 straight K’s!!

44. djloo27 said, on August 11, 2015 at 8:09 pm

Buster’s due to yank one…

45. alleykat69 said, on August 11, 2015 at 8:14 pm

Krukow,need to put another depends on, cause he’s still shitting in his pants over Gomez’s catch. It was good not great like Willie Mays at the Polo grounds, or Jim Edmonds catch that was phenomenal..

46. Flavor said, on August 11, 2015 at 8:22 pm

26 years since that Dravecky game. Still remember my buddy Jason coming over that morning and going “wanna go to the game?” We had zero to do, we went to the game. Our beers before the game cost more than the tickets. Sometimes you can be walking the earth doing nothing, take a random turn, all of a sudden you’re doing something. Or at least watching someone do something

• djloo27 said, on August 11, 2015 at 8:25 pm

Very Beaver Cleaver-like philosophy…

47. Macdog said, on August 11, 2015 at 8:23 pm

Belt plants one in the seats off Kazmir!

48. wilcojoe said, on August 11, 2015 at 8:24 pm

When Belt starts hitting bombs off LH’s, watch out.

49. djloo27 said, on August 11, 2015 at 8:24 pm

Belt would hit 85 homers at Yankee Stadium…

50. zumiee said, on August 11, 2015 at 8:25 pm

The big guy got ‘er done!

51. willedav said, on August 11, 2015 at 8:25 pm

Yeow, dead CF bomb for Belt. Only 3rd one at ATT this year, vs. 13 on road.

52. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 11, 2015 at 8:28 pm

Belt is such a pussy leading off the inning with a home run like that.

• willedav said, on August 11, 2015 at 8:34 pm

Not much talk about when Posey moves to 1b lately either.

• chipower9 said, on August 11, 2015 at 8:59 pm

It will happen WD. If not next year, soon enough. And hard to imagine Posey at 1st when that translates to Hector behind the dish. Susac cannot come back soon enough.

53. willedav said, on August 11, 2015 at 8:29 pm

Right AK. Griffey Jr. had a few better than that.
    who was the guy with the terrible contract who twisted above CF wall, Matthews Jr.?

54. Irish Kevin said, on August 11, 2015 at 8:49 pm

Blanco should be the everyday CF’r for the rest of the season!!

55. alleykat69 said, on August 11, 2015 at 8:53 pm

So I noticed Bum got HBP last year, his only time in his career. Don’t know who the pitcher was..
    My ? would be,did he charge the mound, and is the pitcher still alive or in a coma?

56. chipower9 said, on August 11, 2015 at 8:54 pm

Trade Belt!

• alleykat69 said, on August 11, 2015 at 8:56 pm

Damm Right Chi, he’s worthless!!!!

57. Macdog said, on August 11, 2015 at 8:54 pm

Belt plants one in the seats off Kazmir, Part II!

58. alleykat69 said, on August 11, 2015 at 8:55 pm

Belt sure likes LF at this park!!
    Nice job⚾️

59. Flavor said, on August 11, 2015 at 8:56 pm

please advise Mrs. James to prepare the furniture for a re-wrap and double lock the front door, just to be sure…….

60. James said, on August 11, 2015 at 8:57 pm

Kazmir should have looked at that chart to see where to locate his pitches.

• chipower9 said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:01 pm

lqtm…

61. chipower9 said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:00 pm

Ground and pound….

62. wilcojoe said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:01 pm

That’s the second time Kazmir has thrown a ball away since he joined Houston. He can’t field worth a shit.

63. Macdog said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:01 pm

Ehire leads to EKazmir.

64. willedav said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:02 pm

Kaz not enjoying his return to bay area…Stros neither so far.
    Maybe they aren’t built for NL ball, but that doesn’t explain getting whipped on by A’s.

• wilcojoe said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:07 pm

They have been atrocious on the road all season, outside of their first roadie of the year. Losing Springer was a huge blow and if he can’t return before the end of the year, I don’t see them having a chance in the postseason. He is like a Hunter Pence in his on field and clubhouse presence.

65. djloo27 said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:03 pm

The first thing they teach you about hitting in Little League is to step into the ball.
    Adrianza hits just like Juan Perez – the front foot barely moves and they just swivel off the back foot.
    It rarely works…

• alleykat69 said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:22 pm

Maybe if they both batted with 1 leg they would be more successful Loo..

• djloo27 said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:36 pm

lulz!

66. alleykat69 said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:10 pm

Nothing pisses off a pitcher (Kazmir) more then those last 2 AB’s , 2 ground hog baseballs moles, barely seeing daylight go for hits, and a frustrated throw it away run and adios Kazmir!!

67. zumiee said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:13 pm

That’s a great baseball name: Hank Conger.

• wilcojoe said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:16 pm

The first time I saw Hank Conger, I had to do a double take. I had no idea he was Asian!

• alleykat69 said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:18 pm

Gotta agree WJ.
        Do they have many Asian’s in Texas?

• James said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:17 pm

“The Eel”

• wilcojoe said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:25 pm

LQTM James! I had to look that up….Ak, Houston actually has a very large Asian presence due to the prominent medical scene downtown. Austin and Dallas to a lesser extent but still quite large due to the numerous IT complanies, many of which left California in the last few years.

68. chipower9 said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:14 pm

Only 85 pitches through 7 for Big Country. A complete game would be sweet.

69. alleykat69 said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:16 pm

Is Kuiper feeding Krukow his lines now?They seem to be getting extra feisty tonight together ..

70. zumiee said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:25 pm

There have been some great baseball names over the years. Rocky Colavito, Harmon Killebrew, Eddie Stanky, Vida Blue, Cesar Geronimo, and lots of others.

• chipower9 said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:28 pm

Don’t forget Coco Crisp! ;-P

• djloo27 said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:35 pm

and Coco Laboy…

• alleykat69 said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:35 pm

And some great porn baseball names as well..
      Rusty Kuntz, Dick Pole, Mike “Trouser”Trout, Mike Babcock,Pete LaCock and lots others..

71. James said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:31 pm

If Dirty Sanchez hadn’t lost his fastball, he’d be in some team’s bullpen ala O. Perez.

72. zumiee said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:32 pm

OK, I don’t blame Belt for that strikeout. That pitcher was bizarre.

73. chipower9 said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:38 pm

Bum absolutely should get a chance to close this bitch out…

• Macdog said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:39 pm

98 thru 8, absolutely.

74. zumiee said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:39 pm

Krukow has never had a root canal, so far. That’s impressive.

75. alleykat69 said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:41 pm

Can Altuve reach the minimum height requirement for a ride at Disneyland?

• chipower9 said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:46 pm

Only when he is rocking his platform cleats…

76. djloo27 said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:42 pm

Interesting to see who if anyone gets up in the pen…

• chipower9 said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:46 pm

Romo is the Lone Ranger, so far…

Let Bum finish this fucker.

77. alleykat69 said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:47 pm

Unbelievable Kruk’s hard on for that Carlos Gomez catch!
    Just don’t play another game of baseball ever, he has vehemently decided that no other catch in the FUCKING HISTORY of Baseball will ever top that play!!

78. willedav said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:47 pm

Wilco thx for insights on Stros. Saw some of their games for first time this weekend, not much offense vs. A’s pitching and then Gregerson choked a couple away. Thought they would add to pen.
    They are still in first and having a fine season, made bold moves at deadline just having rough week.
    I do like the road unis, with dark blue hat and sleeves.
    Would be great story for them to win division.

• wilcojoe said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:55 pm

Yeah, the new Unis are sharp. They have had some hideous uniforms over the years.

79. chipower9 said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:49 pm

is Carlos related to Chick? He play the keyboard in the off-season?

80. chipower9 said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:50 pm

Belt just really sucks…especially tonight…

81. Macdog said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:51 pm

MadBum CG!

82. wilcojoe said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:52 pm

Belt making a very nice impression for his next team 😉

83. chipower9 said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:52 pm

Ballgame! And a complete one at that! Fuck Yeah! That has to charge the whole team’s batteries! Let’s do it again, tomorrow!

84. chipower9 said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:53 pm

I dig it that Flan does some post-game work. I sure miss seeing him along the line at 3rd…

85. Flavor said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:54 pm

great game. Hope it doesn’t mask any of the problems we have that Juan Perez cannot fix…….

• chipower9 said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:56 pm

lqtm…

86. wilcojoe said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:54 pm

What a gem by Bum. He looks to be in late season form. Gotta like the Giants chances tomorrow with Heston (who threw a gem in Houston in May) going against Feldman.

87. alleykat69 said, on August 11, 2015 at 9:54 pm

Impressive outing for the Undertaker!!
    12 Coffins, and a complete game!!
    And I will have a Belt, for Brandon!!
    2 Bombs!!
    Big win after that ugly trip, Great job Giants!!!

88. chipower9 said, on August 11, 2015 at 10:00 pm

That is fucking crazy that seven of Belt’s last 10 hits have been HRs. I told ya we should have traded his ass…

89. alleykat69 said, on August 11, 2015 at 10:07 pm

Chi,,
    Breaking news.. Bruce Bochy just took your advice and traded Brandon Belt to Miami for Casey McGhehee..

90. chipower9 said, on August 11, 2015 at 10:09 pm

Bochy, in describing Belt taking it personal when he (Bochy) sits him and puts Posey at first, and Bochy saying it was even more attractive when Susac was available. Zing! That one had to sting like a hard shot off the mask, eh Hector?

91. mrsprtdude said, on August 11, 2015 at 10:19 pm

Great win…
    By the way..How awesome is it that we have all 5 infielders homegrown!!!! Keep Belt!!!!

92. alleykat69 said, on August 11, 2015 at 10:33 pm

Nothing like ” homegrown” players” too bad their all not named “Bud”!!