“Shoptalk” with Daniel

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 17, 2015

We play the Cardinals tonight and Daniel Shoptaw and I decided to keep our Q/A going since it was always so well received in the past. Here’s the email I sent him with his responses. He put a link to his blog in his question 2 answer.

Daniel Shoptaw

7:37 AM (45 minutes ago)

to me
1) Flavor: The Cardinals are piling up the wins this year. Giants fans have learned to not get too caught up in regular season wins and losses. Just make the playoffs and then let Hunter, Buster and the rest of the gang take over. Is there a sense in the Cardinal fan community that winning just shouldn’t be this easy? Like the team is peaking too soon? Aside from your team, who do you think the best team in the NL is? Who would you least like to play in the NLCS? Feel free to say the Giants for obvious reasons. 🙂
Shoptalk: While the Cardinals may have 75 wins so far this season, to say it’s been easy is probably a bit of a misstatement.  There are a lot of 1-0, 2-1 type games in there, a lot of close games that require much more stress on pitchers and fans than would be preferable.  The Cards have been blessed with almost historic levels of great pitching, but the offense just isn’t generating that much.  I can think of some Giants teams that might have followed that formula a little bit!

I don’t think anyone is worried about peaking, but there are always concerns that the offense won’t be enough or the pitching will wind up finally stumbling in October.  On the flip side, we both know that postseason baseball is so often close and low-scoring, so this St. Louis team will have plenty of practice in those sorts of games, so much so that October may not feel much different than June or July.

Honestly, if I wasn’t picking St. Louis as the best team in the NL, I’d probably go with the Pirates.  Maybe that’s because we see them all the time, but they have a very strong pitching staff and some potent bats, plus at least three Cardinal killers in Pedro Alvarez, Aramis Ramirez and Francisco Liriano.  That’s a team I don’t really want to see, but there are a lot of teams that I’m not excited about either.  The Giants well could be one of those teams–I’m interested to see how the two clubs stack up over the next couple of weeks.
2) Flavor: You recently inherited your father in law’s 1962 Topps baseball card set. First of all, my condolences for your family’s loss. But regarding the cards, was this inheritance surprising? Why 1962? It looks like a complete team set, did he have other years/teams? If so, where are those sets? Was your father in law a big collector? Here is a pic of part of the set that I snagged from Daniel’s twitter feed:
shop
Shoptalk: Thanks for your sympathy.  My father-in-law passed in April–here’s the post I put up at the time–and my wife just went back to Ohio this weekend to bring home some of his effects, including that 1962 set.  I’m not 100% sure why 1962, but my guess is that’s one of the first years he started collecting cards, as he would have been 10 at the time.  I know that he showed me that set the first time I ever met him and we talked about how he filled out the collection at card shows and the like over time.  I want to say he didn’t finish it until the early ’90s, though I couldn’t swear to it.

That’s the only complete set that he had, at least that I’m aware of.  He was a huge baseball fan in general (the Reds in particular) and he a number of unopened packs and baseball cards around.  He even had a poster up in his store of a card show he helped organize in 1990 that featured Jeff Montgomery, a local guy that had made the majors.  He sold baseball cards for a long while in his store, so while he wasn’t necessarily a big collector, he was appreciative of cards and what they meant.
Flavor: Sorry, we just had an earthquake while I was writing this….. but I’m back, everyone/everything is ok.
Shoptalk: (Glad to hear it! That’s one way to wake up in the morning!)
3) Flavor: I check out the Cardinal line up everyday (I play a fair amount of daily fantasy baseball). I have noticed that the St Louis LU changes A LOT. Grichuk and Piscotty, for example, seem to bat all over the line up. Do Matheny’s LU’s make sense to you? Or does it feel like he’s over-managing them?
Shoptalk: It’s funny, we as Cardinal fans sometimes complain about the Matheny lineups but when Tony La Russa was making out 155 different ones over a 162 game season, it was his way of playing all the percentages.

I don’t think Matheny’s over-managing, at least not in this regard.  (Honestly, for the most part, I think Matheny’s improved as a manager this year, though he still has his faults.)  Matheny’s hampered by the fact that his regular #3 hitter, Matt Holliday, is out and has been out a good portion of the season.  Without having that bulwark, it allows and almost requires some experimentation to see how best to fill that gap.  It’s also a fact that the offense really has struggled, even though there’s plenty of talent up and down the lineup, and Matheny seems to be trying to find the best fit that will create a spark.  You could argue that he should leave them alone for a few days instead of shifting almost daily and that’d be a fair critique, I believe, but at least there’s some reason behind what he’s doing.
Hope that’ll work for you!  Let me know when they go up and I’ll link at my site.  I dropped a link to the site in general in today’s post.
_________________________
Daniel sent me some questions too, I’ll get to them as the work day allows this morning and will re-post here if he writes a thread about it.

1. willedav said, on August 17, 2015 at 8:57 am

First off thanks to Daniel for answering my ? on previous thread. Appreciate your insights, as always. Heyward cracked 2 HRs yesterday so easy to understand Cards interest in making the deal/re-signing him. He appears to be viable middle order bat, young and good athlete, valuable in these days of dwindling offense.

There was a link to another Cards website on Yahoo this morning where the prevailing thread was what happens to Cards rotation during playoffs—specifically who out of the 5 gets left out of a start and sent to bullpen assuming only 4 SPs are used. And of course, health of all of above.
    Other point brought up was about Moss/Reynolds platoon at 1b and if Piscotty kid might take over that spot if Holliday is ready to play full time in LF.

Thoughts?

• Cardinal70 said, on August 17, 2015 at 9:13 am

The first base conundrum has been an issue all year long. The fanbase wasn’t quite sure what John Mozeliak was doing trading for Brandon Moss (or, more accurately, giving up a highly-touted pitching prospect to do it) and Moss so far hasn’t gotten on track. Piscotty, though, has looked like he belongs in the big leagues and my guess is he’ll see some significant utility time when Holliday returns, either at 1B or either corner outfield spot, helping rest folks like Holliday and Heyward.

As for who gets left out of the postseason rotation, I don’t know. We talked about this last night on the weekly Blog Talk Radio show that I do (http://www.blogtalkradio.com/seamheads/2015/08/17/gateway-to-baseball-heaven) and still never came up with a consensus. If everyone is healthy, I think you have to have Lackey for experience, Garcia for left-handedness (and he’s been dominant), Lynn is considered the “de facto” ace with Wainwright out, and Wacha’s done the postseason thing quite successfully. But it’s almost a waste to have a guy as overpowering as Martinez in the bullpen, even though he’s done it before. My guess, he’ll draw the short straw, but there’s still six weeks to go.

2. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 17, 2015 at 9:06 am

Sweeping the Nationals was nice and all but that club is circling the drain. This roadie to Stl and Pitt is going to be a big test for post season aspirations.

• Flavor said, on August 17, 2015 at 9:15 am

two wins is near critical. Three preferred. Anything more would be fantastic.

• chipower9 said, on August 17, 2015 at 9:15 am

Agree, Dirt. Most of us have said this is the “put up or shut up” month, playing the likes of the Cubs (seven games), Houston (only two game set), Bucs, Cards (six with them), and then we slide out of August and into September beginning a series on the road with the bums. These next couple of weeks will truly give us an indication of where our boys stand in the mix.

3. chipower9 said, on August 17, 2015 at 9:12 am

Great kick-off to the thread. And thanks for putting this together again Craig and Daniel. I always enjoy the Shoptalk with Daniel. I will cook up a question or two, later.

It was a crazy busy weekend…Leon Russell live Friday night in a small venue in Grass Valley. Great show by “The Master of Space and Time.” BBQ, drinking, and swimming on Saturday, and then my daughter and I took in yesterday’s jewel of a game (met a cousin there that I have not seen in about 10 years).

When the PA system blared “Fire on the Mountain” during Bum’s warm-up pitches, and Big Country proceeded to strike-out the side in the 1st, I just had a feeling it was going to be a special day! And boy was it!

It was a MAGIC day at the yard! I mean how can you not love a complete game shut-out that completes a sweep of the hated Natty Nats (yeah, I REALLY dislike that team). 14 Ks for Bum (and a couple of them at Harper’s expense made ’em even sweeter), and he adds a double and a HR, to boot. Blanco’s heads-up tag that set him up to score easily on Belt’s double (there are those doubles that Stix mentioned), Maxwell and Blanco’s great catches in the OF, Craw’s great in the hole across the body throw to beat the runner easily, Pence with a bomb…it was just a wonderful day at the yard…the place was HOPPING! And it was a HOT one! In my 15 years of taking in games at Pac Bell…this is the hottest day I have experienced. Thank goodness we had Club level seats. Air conditioning is king on days like that. Speaking of heat and AC…supposed to be 105 in Sacto today.

Dug the share of Lisle’s wiki page by James yesterday. It is stuff like that (in addition to the love of Giant’s baseball here) that makes me appreciate the Flap that much more. You have Paul in Asia, many Flappers on the Right Coast, Stix in the great north woods…just a wonderful assortment of fans across the globe that are connected by their love of the game and specifically by Giants baseball. Just a really cool thing that I admire and appreciate on a regular basis.

Okay, now it is time to make life miserable for the Redbirds (sorry Daniel…nothing personal…I even grew-up a Cards fan).

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 17, 2015 at 9:17 am

Chi, did you score a Marichal statue?

• chipower9 said, on August 17, 2015 at 9:55 am

I did. Actually, I hit the jackpot. My cousin did not want her statue, so I got hers, and I am giving it to a friend who has hooked me up on multiple occasions with bobbleheads, statues, etc. (He set me up with a Willie Mays statue back in the day, Posey MVP bobblehead and other stuff.) We went inside for part of the 6th and 7th innings (Club level), and there was a statue/box sitting on a nearby table. I noticed it obviously. When we got up to leave and go back to our seats, I asked the folks in the immediate area if it belonged to anyone. No takers, so I have a spare. It will probably go up on eBay. I have always loved the Marichal statue with his classic high leg kick, so was stoked to get one. We were in line at the yard at about 10:45…

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 17, 2015 at 9:19 am

always love the in-person reportage; thank you

• chipower9 said, on August 17, 2015 at 9:58 am

Me too, Pawlie. YW…my pleasure.

4. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 17, 2015 at 9:12 am

Speaking of the Cardinals. Check out this pic of Ichiro as he passed Cobb in Stl with 4,192 hits as a professional. Cardinal fans gave him a standing ovation.

• Flavor said, on August 17, 2015 at 9:16 am

that is AWESOME.

• chipower9 said, on August 17, 2015 at 9:16 am

Class all the way.

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 17, 2015 at 9:17 am

I love that image.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 17, 2015 at 9:49 am

I’ve always been fascinated by Ichiro.He’s 29 hits short of 100 hits this year. Even with reduced playing time over the last couple of years his 162 average = 200+ hits. I think he was mentioned as a player Sabean was targeting in 2012 but it didn’t work out for whatever reason. I would’ve like to see him in orange and black. Heck, even off the bench next year would be something. Certainly better than Perez. As he closes in on 3,000 hits Baer is probably dreaming of the marketing possibilities.

5. pawliekokonuts said, on August 17, 2015 at 9:15 am

Here’s what I get from your exchanges: civility. We’re missing that in America. ESPN feeds the Yankee-Boston and other polarities. I dedicate my CHASING WILLIE MAYS to a departed Dodgers fan, and to my late father and my brothers. And we lack civil discourse in politics, obviously. There’s a new book out chronicling the friendship of Wm. F. Buckley and Norman Mailer, right-winger and left-winger, respectively. I salute the civility you both show.

• Flavor said, on August 17, 2015 at 9:23 am

well, Daniel and I are very different people. At least that’s the sense I get from reading his twitter and facebook feed. It’s been a nice reminder to me that you can get along with anyone and enjoy them regardless of differences you may have in lifestyles, communities, etc…. You guys should really read the link to the blog thread he wrote after his father in law died. Powerful stuff, a great read…….

• Cardinal70 said, on August 17, 2015 at 9:26 am

It’s not the first time I’ve been called different! 🙂

Baseball (and, to be fair, most any passion) has that ability to get around the differences you may have with people and put you on the same level, at least for a while. Relationships need a foundation, no matter how trivial.

• Flavor said, on August 17, 2015 at 9:28 am

I didn’t mean to highlight “different,” sorry about that. We just live in very different parts of the US, I bet you and I would each suffer from major culture shock if we stayed a week at each other’s homes!

• Cardinal70 said, on August 17, 2015 at 9:29 am

Oh, I agree! I was just teasing you a bit. There’s no doubt that we are comfortable with different things. I’d not last a day in SF, I don’t think!

• Carstie Clausen said, on August 17, 2015 at 10:59 am

Jeeze Pawlie, you failed to add Gore Vidal to Buckley and Mailer. Not exactly a totally agreesome threesome ~ more like tossing three tomcats into a smallish box. A lot of high wattage intellect in those 3, though.

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 17, 2015 at 12:56 pm

True. Buckley (whose house in Stamford, CT I visited on 12/31/65) was friends with John Kenneth Galbraith and Norman Mailer, but Gore Vidal? Um, no. I do recall their infamous live TV encounter during the ’68 Democratic Convention. Vidal called Buckley a “crypto-Nazi” (or was it crypto-fascist”?) whereupon Bill offered to sock Gore “in the goddamn jaw.” Buckley’s “Firing Line” had a great debate on the death penalty featuring WFB and no other than Steve Allen, who was fabulous.

6. A Giant Conversation said, on August 17, 2015 at 9:22 am

[…] teams meet again tonight for the first time this season.  Craig shot me some questions (you can find them over here) and he was gracious enough to answer some of my […]

• Flavor said, on August 17, 2015 at 9:24 am

so if you click on his screen name “A Giant Conversation” it will link to his blog today.

7. Cardinal70 said, on August 17, 2015 at 9:25 am

Here’s Craig’s side of the discussion. Again, I thank him for his time!

8. chipower9 said, on August 17, 2015 at 10:08 am

Daniel – you and I bantered about a bit last year. I had mentioned then that I grew-up in Northeastern Oklahoma and was a Cards fan (my whole family was Cards fans), and have some fond childhood memories of the teams of my early years, and of listening to Harry Caray call Cards games on the radio. Anyway, once I moved to NorCal (compliments of the U.S. Air Force), I knew I was here to stay, and began following the Giants and have been a fan ever since (1977).

You asked of Craig what were the biggest suprise this year, and biggest disappointment. Can you fill in the blanks from a Redbird perspective (I have not followed the Cards this year…other than to see they are kicking ass in the standings).

I appreciate your time and thanks again to you and Flavor for putting this together.

• Cardinal70 said, on August 17, 2015 at 10:21 am

I do remember you saying that and we discussed the power of KMOX. To go to the Star Wars well that I regularly dip from, “There’s still good in you, I feel it!” 🙂

Biggest surprise for this year? We knew that the club would have good pitching, but I don’t think we expected it to be THIS good. More specifically, though, Jaime Garcia has been relatively healthy and shown why the Cards have hung on to him as long as they have as he’s dealt with issues. At the beginning of the year, there was no way that the Cards could pick up his $11 million option for next year. Now, it’s quite a debate.

Biggest disappointment has probably been how many injuries that we’ve seen this club handle. Wainwright, Holliday, Adams, Jordan Walden are the big ones, though they lost Lynn and Garcia for a while as well. And there’s been disappointment that the club is not scoring as much, but it becomes difficult to point the finger at one player in that situation. For the most part, this is a team that there’s no obvious person to remove (save maybe Moss, but he’s only been there a few weeks) and everyone is playing relatively close to what was expected, if not beyond.

9. Carstie Clausen said, on August 17, 2015 at 11:06 am

Class of the National League in the upcoming three games. Historically, Cardinals and Giants have been dominant in the Senior Circuit. Cards have won the most pennants and World Championships. Giants are MLB leaders in total games won by any team and also hold the heavy edge in Hall of Fame inductees. 6 contests coming up, mano a mano, so to speak. Would a venue determined three game split at 2-1 and 2-1 be too much to expect. Cards hold the edge in Rotation, while Giants lead in hitting. Wacha probably edges Heston tonight, but much will depend on the Cards getting to the rookie fairly early on. Giants bullpen has come around nicely of late.

• zumiee said, on August 17, 2015 at 12:03 pm

The Giants have won more pennants. The Cardinals have been a little more efficient in winning championships with their pennants, 11 championships to the Giants’ 8. But, maybe it’s just me, but I kind of put an asterick 🙂 on the Cardinals’ 3 during WWII era, when one team had a guy with one arm on their team, the teams were using so many 4-F replacement players.
      But, certainly, the Cardinals have been a great franchise over the years.

• Cardinal70 said, on August 17, 2015 at 12:11 pm

While understandable, by 1946 the stars were pretty much back from the war and I don’t think many of them had gone by 1942. The 1944 series against the Browns? That one fits your asterisk. 🙂

10. Bozo said, on August 17, 2015 at 11:08 am

I think you two firing up the Shoptalk again, is a great idea.
    What I remember from a trip to St. Louis, probably back in the mid 90s – Laclede’s Landing (had a nice steak dinner at a joint there), Bowling Hall Of Fame (got a shot glass and some great postcards), taking the weird ass ride in the “elevator” to the top of the Arch, good brats at the stadium (always a good thing), I could see my hotel from my seats (a ballpark downtown? What a concept) and beer vendors in the stands with Busch beverages (California ended the fine tradition of beer vendors back in the 80s). A big military meeting at my hotel, with apparently some high ranking brass, was the only thing that made my stay a little uncomfortable.

11. pawliekokonuts said, on August 17, 2015 at 1:03 pm

My older brother went to St. Louis U. Two of my brothers are Cards fans. In January 1967 I flew from Minn/St. Paul to STL the day after a tornado. I ate at my first Burger King in STL. We heard on the radio about the astronauts being burned to death in an accident. We slid on food trays in the park by Washington U. I think my brother may’ve seen Stan Musial at his restaurant. Years later, on a biz trip, I went to Tony’s, or was it Anthony’s. Fantastic place. I’ve yet to see a game there. In the Eighties stayed downtown by Busch. I want to go to a game there. I have sordid tales of East St. Louis, but not today, not today.

12. chipower9 said, on August 17, 2015 at 1:22 pm

Well, this was going to be a tough series for our boys to begin with, but with the latest I am seeing on the forecast, mother nature may make it that much more of a challenge. Forecast calls for PM thunderstorms tomorrow, and scattered thrunderstorms on Wednesday. Rain delays, especially on the road, are not your friend.

The only fond memories that include heavy rain and the Cards is Marco Scutaro looking to the heavens after catching Matt Holiday’s pop-up to clinch the pennant. Poetic justice? You bet your sweet ass.

So, on second thought, maybe a little rain won’t be too bad for the series. 😉

• Cardinal70 said, on August 17, 2015 at 2:17 pm

Michael Wacha is pitching, so of COURSE it will rain. It seems about every time Mr. Wacha takes the bump we get the wet stuff one way or another.

13. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 17, 2015 at 1:54 pm

I guess Posey gets a rest after the 2K day yesterday as Baggs points out for only the second time this season.

Susac up. Hacktor down.

CF Blanco
    3B Duffy
    1B Belt
    RF Pence
    SS Crawford
    C Susac
    LF Maxwell
    2B Tomlinson
    RHP Heston (11-7, 3.38)

Big start for Hesto Presto/Ben Hurr/George Taylor. None of these nicknames are working for this cat.

Go Giants!

• gianthead said, on August 17, 2015 at 3:42 pm

I still go with Bright Eyes Dirt…

14. chipower9 said, on August 17, 2015 at 3:06 pm

Thank goodness Susac is back. I am SO HAPPY to see Hector gone. And glad to see Clark Kent get another start. Adrianza is another who should have been sent packing with Hector.

15. gianthead said, on August 17, 2015 at 3:39 pm

After the Giants got swept by the Nats in early July here in DC, close friends who are Nats friends were quick to email me our death knell. I had to point out that we were still sitting on 3X5 while running over the Nats corpse last year.

There is something about these Nats fans. One thing wrong with them besides their brains is that they are Redskins fans. That should tell you everything. They think their run in football starting in the 80s is greater than the Niners dynasty. One friend had the gaul to say Art Monk was better than Jerry Rice. And he was serious. The career numbers I threw back at him apparently are meaningless because Monk was a “model” citizen.

So that is what you deal with out here. I was happy to email them after the Bum’s monster game and help plunge the dagger at least into their fan’s hearts…

• zumiee said, on August 17, 2015 at 4:01 pm

Yeah, I have some friends that are Cub fans that are flying high these days. Well, as we all know, it’s a long season, and the Giants are the ultimate grinders. Should be a very interesting 6 weeks coming up.

16. zumiee said, on August 17, 2015 at 4:07 pm

Very cool thing, the conversations between BF and Cardinal70. Well done, fellas!

• Flavor said, on August 17, 2015 at 4:57 pm

thanks. He’s a good guy, good fan, good blogger.

• Cardinal70 said, on August 18, 2015 at 4:25 am

Appreciate it. Enjoy exchanging ideas and knowledge with good folks like Craig.

17. Flavor said, on August 17, 2015 at 4:56 pm

how did I forget that Wacha threw that pitch to Ishikawa?

18. Flavor said, on August 17, 2015 at 5:18 pm

I wonder if Daniel would like to float a new nickname to his Cards friends: “Piscotty too Hotty”. Nah, something tells me they wouldn’t roll with that. I’d like to think that San Diggity would appreciate that one but maybe that’s a wrestler he wouldn’t have seen on Channel 40 in Sactown back in the day.

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 17, 2015 at 7:28 pm

ya gotta play off Biscotti somehow — not sure how

• Cardinal70 said, on August 18, 2015 at 4:26 am

That seems to be the way folks are leaning, but honestly he’s not had any sort of nickname yet. For the most part, he’s pretty stoic so that probably hinders the nickname process.

19. alleykat69 said, on August 17, 2015 at 5:53 pm

Great butcher boy play by Heston!!
    But a dumb butcher of a bunt that wasn’t even needed by Blanco, 1st& 3rd one out and your bunting?

• ewisco said, on August 17, 2015 at 6:10 pm

Feel free to get some bunting lessons from crawdad.

20. ewisco said, on August 17, 2015 at 6:15 pm

I keep thinking pence needs a day. Posey at first, belt in left and the hammer in right. Maybe Wednesday would be good.

21. Macdog said, on August 17, 2015 at 6:15 pm

Hey, look what the Cards get when they play their starting catcher.

22. ewisco said, on August 17, 2015 at 6:21 pm

Heston going to put the bullies to work sooner than later.

23. ewisco said, on August 17, 2015 at 6:32 pm

Test 1 2. Test 1 2. Is this mic on? Test.

24. Carstie Clausen said, on August 17, 2015 at 6:37 pm

At 89 pitches through 4, compared with Wacha’s 58, Heston has struggled and bent, but he has not broken. If he can get through the 5th without further damage we may count that as a blessing. Meanwhile, Giants need to get that run back.

25. alleykat69 said, on August 17, 2015 at 6:52 pm

Hestons control was his problem the most. His stuff wasn’t bad,but the free passes 5 way to much which shot up his pitch count.Right time to get me out of their Bruce..

26. Macdog said, on August 17, 2015 at 6:55 pm

I can’t remember Pence hitting into so many double plays.

27. Lisle Ellis said, on August 17, 2015 at 6:58 pm

Now Heston done @ 104 pitches … 41 more than Wacha. Another 5 inning start for our SPs and another long night for the BP.

Hits by Craw, the rook & the pitcher … hmm … not so impressive after the week we had at home … Although we have kept it close.

Oh, hits by Duff & Belt! Here we go?

Nope … Is it just me or does Pence look a bit lost at the plate?

• ewisco said, on August 17, 2015 at 7:10 pm

Not you. I’ve been thinking he needs a day for a couple days. There’s just no point in running him out there every day if you’re not going to run posey out there. Everyone needs some pine to refresh the sol.

28. Lisle Ellis said, on August 17, 2015 at 7:02 pm

Clutch McCraw to the rescue!!!

29. Carstie Clausen said, on August 17, 2015 at 7:10 pm

Coming into a road game Heston did well to keep the Cardinals to a single run even if he struggled pretty much throughout after a clean first frame. Looking at the matchup between Chris and Wacha, you had to conclude it was somewhat one-sided. So we gotta say Heston kept us in the game and left it up to the offense to get him off the hook.

30. alleykat69 said, on August 17, 2015 at 7:14 pm

Should be 2-1 Giants..
    That should of not been a DP if Belt had stopped, make the fielder(Wong)throw to 1st to get the out.Bad base running..

31. pawliekokonuts said, on August 17, 2015 at 7:25 pm

I wish we had Matty Alou laying down a bunt for a hit. Ok. Back to reality. We can win this one.

32. pawliekokonuts said, on August 17, 2015 at 7:26 pm

Listening to Jon Miller.

33. pawliekokonuts said, on August 17, 2015 at 7:27 pm

It’s 10:27 p.m. and it must be 90 degrees still.

34. alleykat69 said, on August 17, 2015 at 7:31 pm

Non Giants but still mind boggling.
    Matt Kemp hit for the cycle the other night, that’s not the mind boggling part as much as it was the 1st cycle in Padres club history and it only took 7,444 games to do it!
    When you consider they had Tony Gwynn& Dave Winfield for years( especially Tony) I figured for sure one of them would have done it..
    Another feat the Padres haven’t done either is have a starting pitcher throw a no-hitter in club history, so that one continues on to a place far far away…

35. pawliekokonuts said, on August 17, 2015 at 7:34 pm

Did Blanco misplay it or was it a legit triple?

36. Macdog said, on August 17, 2015 at 7:43 pm

Jeez Craw…

37. pawliekokonuts said, on August 17, 2015 at 7:48 pm

Eeeeesh.

38. Bozo said, on August 17, 2015 at 7:52 pm

Get em tomorrow.

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 17, 2015 at 7:59 pm

It’s a loss, but not an embarrassment. We knew these games’d be tough.

• Bozo said, on August 17, 2015 at 8:21 pm

?

39. Carstie Clausen said, on August 17, 2015 at 7:59 pm

Welllll, so that’s that. Narrowest of margins. Both teams with key hitters outta action. Strickland throws hard, but sometimes hard throwers get hit hard. As low as his ERA happens to be both Siegrist and Rosenthal incredibly have ones even lower. Pence needs a blow. With Buster back tomorrow either Perez or Lollis should get the start in the O.F.

40. Macdog said, on August 17, 2015 at 8:12 pm

That’s now 0-8 vs. Pirates, Cubs, Cards.

41. unca_chuck said, on August 17, 2015 at 8:16 pm

Leake scratched again . . .

Fuck. Vogie did well last start, but . . .

42. unca_chuck said, on August 17, 2015 at 8:19 pm

Blanco, much as I like him, took a shitty route to that ball. He could have held it to a double, but tried to catch it and came up a glove short and the ball went to the wall.

(Fuck) Belt made a boneheaded baserunning error as well. Likely cost the Giants a run as Pence scores on Crawfish’s double.

43. unca_chuck said, on August 17, 2015 at 8:24 pm

Gawd, Greg Papa just annoys the fuck out of me. He’s said about 5 times that Crawfish didn’t trust Kelby to turn the double play in the 8th when clearly Crawfish couldn’t get a grip on the ball and went to the bag to try and turn the DP.

• djloo27 said, on August 17, 2015 at 8:37 pm

Dead on observations, Chuckie…

• Flavor said, on August 17, 2015 at 8:40 pm

Papa is the worst.

• djloo27 said, on August 17, 2015 at 9:13 pm

Folks say Papa never was much on thinking
        Spent most of his time chasing women and drinking

44. zumiee said, on August 17, 2015 at 8:26 pm

I vaguely remember the Giants being a good road team earlier in the season, but now it’s just such a colossal struggle to win on the road. They were doing things like sweeping the Dodgers at Dodger Stadium earlier in the season.

45. Flavor said, on August 17, 2015 at 8:32 pm

Well, they didn’t win this many games by accident. They win the close ones…..Can’t believe Piscotty too Hotty beat us. Bay Area boy at that.

46. ewisco said, on August 17, 2015 at 8:34 pm

Jeez. Leake. Beltran revisited? A lost august and then too little too late in sept??? Jeez.

• Flavor said, on August 17, 2015 at 8:39 pm

this fucking Leake thing is starting to piss me off. Is this guy a pussy or is he really THIS hurt? Feels like they keep pushing him back and this was never supposed to have been this big of a deal. But they must have thought he was ready or else why say he’s starting tomorrow? So who is saying *no go* is it Leake or the team? He’s either had a set back that they aren’t telling us about or he’s a pussy. I guess a third possibility is that he’s the slowest healer ever, but then he’s kinda falling back into the *pussy* category, right?

• djloo27 said, on August 17, 2015 at 8:43 pm

He’s the Weasel, Buuudddyyy………..

• Flavor said, on August 17, 2015 at 8:45 pm

fav all time Pauly Shore line: One of his buddy’s hot mom’s came into the room and PS turns to his buddy and goes, “dude, your mom gave me a PAR-tial”. I don’t know why I still think that’s funny.

• djloo27 said, on August 17, 2015 at 9:07 pm

Pauly deserves respect…

• zumiee said, on August 17, 2015 at 9:09 pm

I’m hugely not a Pauly Shore fan, but there’s a pretty interesting documentary that came out about him fairly recently. Well, I SAW it recently, anyway; I have no idea when it came out. It was just a film about a stand-up comedy tour that he went on after his career in movies faded. The film is nothing spectacular, but it just really takes you into the life of a stand-up comedian on the road, someone who used to be something bigger, and now is just trying to keep a career in show business going. I found it kind of interesting. It’s actually a pretty brave thing to go into some obscure town in Idaho or something, and do stand-up comedy at a venue that’s usually a roller skating rink or something.

• zumiee said, on August 17, 2015 at 9:12 pm

This is the film:

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 18, 2015 at 4:28 pm

zumiee, you be a Renaissance man; you come up with good takes all the time

47. Paul Sorensen said, on August 17, 2015 at 9:27 pm

Not sure if this was discussed already, but there’s a Yahoo story about 9 teams that have at least a 5% chance of winning the World Series. Of course the Giants are not on that list. Will the pundits never learn. Dodgers, Houston and Toronto ahead of the Cards? KC in the middle of the pack? Giants not even listed? pffft…..

48. djloo27 said, on August 17, 2015 at 9:28 pm

Seems like nothin’ ever comes to no good up on Shoptaw Ridge…

• Lisle Ellis said, on August 18, 2015 at 9:06 am

That is so freakin brilliant Loo .. also loved your earlier ‘Papa Was a Rolling Stone’ quote!

49. unca_chuck said, on August 17, 2015 at 9:44 pm