Welcome to “Mixed Feelings Day”

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on August 19, 2015

On the one hand, man, what a great win. If you had told me that the bedraggled Voggy would have to hump up for another spot start and toss 30 pitches in the first inning and that we would go on to WIN 2-0, I woulda called you crazy. And yet, that’s what  happened. And then the lowly A’s manage to beat Kershaw and the Dodgers? Was that a dream?

Sadly, there is another hand. And that hand smacks us back to reality with the Hunter Pence to DL news. At some point, your team just takes too many blows to remain realistically in the race.

However, I absolutely think they are still in the race as long as Sabean puppeteers Evans into making a skilled waiver wire deal or two. We have experience and I don’t doubt a focused effort till the end, but we are not making the playoffs with Maxwell, Blanco and whatever hologram from AAA we might be shining into the final outfield spot.

So stay positive, but have it be contingent on the above mentioned moves that have to occur for us to pass the Dodgers in September……..

1. chipower9 said, on August 19, 2015 at 7:59 am

Here is the piece I shared at the end of the last thread. In it there is mention that the Giants have made a few claims on waivers…more to come…

Nice piece from Steward on VogelSTRONG and his synopsis on the Giants current state (with all the injuries). Love the attitude. Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor!??

I agree absolutely with most…if Cain falters tonight…Vogey is back in the rotation.

I absolutely think our boys are still in this. They get Aoki back tomorrow, and Leake should be 100% any day now. If Panik can come back by Sept. 1st and the kids (Tomlinson, the Hologram, etc.) can add some key play and energy…well, anything can happen.

I will be surprised if Pence is back in four weeks. I suspect anything from four to six, but hope he proves me wrong.

• Lurker John said, on August 19, 2015 at 8:26 am

I agree chi, the G’s are in it til the end. It sucks about Pence, but the plug-in pieces the Giants have used this year have been pretty damn good. The latest is Lollis, but Tomlinson has also been solid. He can hit, he’s fast and pretty good with the glove. I looked up Lollis’ numbers last night and he’s been a solid hitter throughout his minor league career. Let’s hope he keeps it up in S.F. He made a nice catch last night as well.

2. chipower9 said, on August 19, 2015 at 8:01 am

Oh, and on a totally separate topic, happy birthday to Ginger Baker…a beast of a drummer and one of the founding members of Cream.

3. willedav said, on August 19, 2015 at 8:04 am

If you get enough pitching you can win the torture games, with Kelby Triple O, Hologram et al. Aoki is supposed to return Thursday, right? Cards are also hurting big time, so 4 vs. Pitt could be tougher. Romo and Casilla looked fine.
    One of great stories of season for SF has been emergence of young pitching, from Hest in rotation to Strick Osich and Kontos as reliable set up guys out of pen.

I was so disgusted when AJ Ellis of all people burned the A’s with 3 run bomb I shut it off. Hard to believe they came back and won…everyone else has beaten them like proverbial red headed stepchild.

4. Lurker John said, on August 19, 2015 at 8:21 am

Yeoman’s effort by Vogey last night. He came up with the goods when it was needed the most. He’s been tough lately.

5. James said, on August 19, 2015 at 8:28 am

I was moved that Flavor actually felt bad for Belt for the very first and only time. I’m on the road, and missed the game, but was curious about how shitty that one affecting strike call was:

Studying the chart carefully, two of those called strikes suggest that there can be a very, very fine line between sympathy and disapproval!

• chipower9 said, on August 19, 2015 at 9:04 am

6. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 19, 2015 at 8:36 am

I picture James in a shitty Best Western somewhere in the continental U.S., a single tear running down his cheek as he reads Big Flavor’s sympathetic post regarding our hero Brandon Belt.

• unca_chuck said, on August 19, 2015 at 8:43 am

Who was that guy in the anti pollution commercials? Chief Stoneface?

• willedav said, on August 19, 2015 at 8:44 am

Was listening to Miller on radio around 6th or so on ride home and he commented repeatedly how inconsistent ump had been all night on outside pitches. Said the one to Belt was a good 6 inches off the plate.
      Not apologizing for Belt, but if umps really are graded after every game, how can mlb allow this?

• James said, on August 19, 2015 at 8:50 am

WillieD, the only ones who should be apologizing are MLB for allowing an umpire to make calls like that.

• James said, on August 19, 2015 at 8:53 am

And there were two equally inexcusable strike 3 calls. See the chart.

• Flavor said, on August 19, 2015 at 8:55 am

lol, that is AWESOME

• James said, on August 19, 2015 at 8:58 am

It’s even more pathetic. I was supposed to be home yesterday, and the fucking hinterland weather conspired to keep me in Dallas another night. These people live like animals . . . .

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 19, 2015 at 8:59 am

Haha, I hear ha James. You have my sympathy.

7. unca_chuck said, on August 19, 2015 at 8:42 am

Apropos of nothing, walked into work this morning and pulled out my daughter’s laptop from my backpack.

Back on Bart.

Grrrrrrr.

In other non baseball news, we dropped our youngest son off to start his college career at CSU Monterey.

As they say, I’m now an Otter pop. No kids in da house!!!!

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 19, 2015 at 8:45 am

Congratulations, chuck. CSU Montery is a great choice.

• chipower9 said, on August 19, 2015 at 9:07 am

Empty nester, eh…party at Charlie’s house!

8. chipower9 said, on August 19, 2015 at 9:06 am

James – I appreciate the time you spend gathering up the pitch charts, etc. These just add credence to the fact that many umps have their heads up their proverbial asses, and are not held accountable for their shitty work.

The ump last night was the poster child for “consistently inconsistent.” And yeah, Belt was on the wrong end of a couple of his crap calls.

I am not ready to go robotic on the strike zone, but dammit, the umps (every fucking single one of them) needs to call balls and strikes per the rules as currently written.

And if each game is truly reviewed, then those in charge of the reviews are as guilty as the fucked-up umps, as they are NOT holding the umps accountable for calling a shitty game. There should be consequences that hit the umps in the pocketbook (or something that will get their attention), and prod them to call balls and strikes appropriately.

• Carstie Clausen said, on August 19, 2015 at 9:16 am

With all the respect and cred that Sabean has within the MLB world, he is in an excellent position to first, let it be known to the commissioner and other GMs that the Giants are ready to publicly go on record once the WS is over; that they not only object to the current umpiring fiasco but that the 3 in five San Francisco Giants will not compete in 2016 and will forfeit all games unless and until a uniform strike zone is enforced throughout all MLB.

Needless to say, the baseball hierarchy could not possibly allow the Giants to go public with such a threat and would quickly work to remedy the situation. That is called effectuating change from a position of unassailable strength.

• chipower9 said, on August 19, 2015 at 10:00 am

Sounds great in theory, Stix, but we both know there is no way in hell it happens.

• Carstie Clausen said, on August 19, 2015 at 4:01 pm

Chi: When it comes to power relationships in baseball there is no comparison between the currently most successful franchise in the game to the Umpires’ Union. If Sabes gets it in his head to play this kinda hardball he could crush the umps.

9. Macdog said, on August 19, 2015 at 9:57 am

I’ve been down on Vogey as much as anyone at times this season. No more. If we’re going to make it into September, this is just the guy I want leading the charge:

“This time of year is fun,” he said. “I know it’s only August, but the stretch we’re in right now, this is almost like playoff baseball for us. I’ve said before, I enjoy that kind of intensity and pressure.”

10. unca_chuck said, on August 19, 2015 at 10:34 am

Here’s James, thinking about Belt’s ABs.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 19, 2015 at 10:43 am

Oh, man. I remember that commercial. 30 years later it’s crazy how much trash is everywhere. Even backpacking over the summer we came across trash strewn all over 2 days out from civilization.

11. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 19, 2015 at 10:35 am

Pence seems like a guy that might want to dial back his workouts during the season.

The good news is that Aoki-San comes off the DL soon. The bad news is that Pagan will be eligible to return soon too.

• chipower9 said, on August 19, 2015 at 11:08 am

Pence has never played in less than 154 games since he broke in. And in that regards, what does his in-season workouts have to do with anything?

Pagan coming back bad news? If he is actually healthy how can this be bad news?

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 19, 2015 at 11:13 am

Not saying the workouts are a bad thing or responsible for this latest injury just that as he ages he may want to dial it back a bit. As you said he’s been healthy most of his career and just unlucky from the get go this season.

I don’t think we’ll ever see a healthy Pagan again and when he does return Bochy will probably pencil him in sacrificing D up the middle which is not a good thing for the club.

• chipower9 said, on August 19, 2015 at 11:24 am

Yeah, as Pence ages (this is true of all players as they age) he may well want to dial things back a bit. With Pence…not sure he will ever do that.

Well, if Pagan comes back one-legged, as he was before going on the DL, yes, he will hurt the club in just about every aspect. But if truly healthy…he will be a welcome addition. Time will tell.

• Flavor said, on August 19, 2015 at 11:24 am

oblique injuries are tell tale sign of guys working out too hard.

• Irish Kevin said, on August 19, 2015 at 12:55 pm

Well Chi I just know you are waiting to hear from me about Pagan, at this point in the season I think Blanko is playing better than Pagan. Pagan has become some what of a whiny bitch at the plate over calls he disagrees with. Blanko over the last 2-3 years has come off the bench to be a start and proved his worth.

12. unca_chuck said, on August 19, 2015 at 10:50 am

I remember that commercial back in the day as well.

What I just found out is the dude in the commercial is Italian, not Native American. Although he lived his life as an Indian. Chief Iron Eyes. He was treated as a Native American for furthering the cause.

13. chipower9 said, on August 19, 2015 at 11:13 am

Totally unrelated topic. Have any of you seen the recent nude picts (well, she is wearing stilletos) that Sharon Stone did for “Harper’s Bazaar?” In the piece she says “I’m aware that my ass looks like a bag of flapjacks.” If her ass looks like a bag of flapjacks, pass the butter and maple syrup…I’m going in! At 57, she looks a hell of a lot better than many women half her age.

• Flavor said, on August 19, 2015 at 11:23 am

“pass the butter and maple syrup.” that was pure gold.

14. chipower9 said, on August 19, 2015 at 11:30 am

Daniel mentioned the other day about his Cards playing in a lot of one run games this year. I came across this stat in that regards:

The Redbirds are 27-19 in one-run games. Our boys? Giants are 15-16.

• Bozo said, on August 19, 2015 at 1:18 pm

So I guess all we have to do is stay two runs ahead of them. I’m good with that.

15. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 19, 2015 at 11:48 am

I read the lead again with this playing. I think I feel worse.

16. pawliekokonuts said, on August 19, 2015 at 12:45 pm

We can’t let the “flapjacks” line by Sharon Stone and its fallout here at the FLAP (cf. Chipower) just melt into oblivion like Aunt Jemima’s syrup. Something will evolve: a player nickname, a play, an award. Something.

17. unca_chuck said, on August 19, 2015 at 12:51 pm

Chutley to the Dogs . . .

• unca_chuck said, on August 19, 2015 at 12:55 pm

“2 minor leaguers and $2 million . . .”

• Flavor said, on August 19, 2015 at 12:55 pm

whatever, he’s basically done. On to the next……

18. chipower9 said, on August 19, 2015 at 12:57 pm

2nd inning…A’s 1-0 over the bums. Go Oakland!

19. eddacker said, on August 19, 2015 at 1:07 pm

We beat the red birds! How good does that feel? All the weird plays that went agin us on Monday happened for us on Tuesday. Too Cool.
    And how cool would it to be for the cainer to have A GAME tonight? I for one will Joyce and Re-Joyce. And be mightily in happiness for Matt C.
    Rags saw ‘good things’ watching Cain throw bullpen. Here’s to seeing those same good things tonight.

How much more can we take? The reverend out again? Aren’t the Giants medicos there to prevent injuries? They need a new magic 8 ball.
    But the story of Kershaw imploding was good for a chuckle.

20. chipower9 said, on August 19, 2015 at 1:29 pm

Well, this is certainly different. Not sure why no Tiburone Blanco…

1. Kelby Tomlinson (R) 2B
    2. Matt Duffy (R) 3B
    3. Brandon Belt (L) LF
    4. Buster Posey (R) 1B
    5. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    6. Andrew Susac (R) C
    7. Justin Maxwell (R) RF
    8. Juan Perez (R) CF
    9. Matt Cain (R) P

• Macdog said, on August 19, 2015 at 1:38 pm

Vs. lefty. I thought maybe Belt would get the day off, but it’s Blanco.

21. dirtnrocksnomo said, on August 19, 2015 at 1:32 pm

Admittedly I don’t follow the dodgers closely but picking up Utley seems dumb. I thought their issue was the bullpen tire fire that Donny two trips has no idea how to manage.

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 19, 2015 at 2:01 pm

tire fire… I like that image

22. chipower9 said, on August 19, 2015 at 1:32 pm

When you see Juan Perez getting a start, then you know why I clamored forever for an OFer (Parra, etc.) at the deadline.

I mentioned earlier that the Giants have supposedly put offers out on some OFers via the waiver wire, but I also read where they are going to be “very picky” about adding an OFer…

23. Macdog said, on August 19, 2015 at 1:42 pm

As for Utley, when the Giants need to get him out late in a game, there’s this (tweet from Steward): Utley vs. Javier Lopez 0 for 20, 2 walks.

24. pawliekokonuts said, on August 19, 2015 at 2:01 pm

what’s Cody Ross up to these days?

• Bozo said, on August 19, 2015 at 2:22 pm

From what I read, he’s playing with his kids and looking for a job…
      If the Giants, or anyone else did pick him up, they would only have to pay the league minimum while AZ picked up the rest.

25. chipower9 said, on August 19, 2015 at 2:05 pm

Last I heard about Ross was when he was released by the A’s early in the season.

26. djloo27 said, on August 19, 2015 at 2:12 pm

3-2 A’s bottom 6th…

27. alleykat69 said, on August 19, 2015 at 2:42 pm

We all dug Cody for his masterful work for the Giants, but he’s done.
    2-25 .O91 avg with the A’s before they mercifully cut him loose. The ship has sailed, then sunk with him.

28. Macdog said, on August 19, 2015 at 3:03 pm

5-2 A’s.

29. Macdog said, on August 19, 2015 at 3:13 pm

A’s mini-sweep L.A.!

30. zumiee said, on August 19, 2015 at 3:13 pm

Nice job by Pomeranz in the 9th inning, closing it out. He blew a game against the Dodgers earlier this season.

31. zumiee said, on August 19, 2015 at 3:18 pm

I don’t really get the Dodgers picking up Utley either. The back-up to Kendrick, Kike Hernandez, is a .300-hitting utility infielder. Good luck trying to find that somewhere. Then what happens when Kendrick comes back? The Dodgers are a weird team. Well, they’re not really a “team,” in that sense. They’re a collection of players wearing the same uniform. Some of those players have a lot of talent, but there’s a weird vibe to their team.

32. zumiee said, on August 19, 2015 at 3:22 pm

The Dodgers are 0-8 in the Bay Area this season.

33. Macdog said, on August 19, 2015 at 3:49 pm

Man, that’s huge. Now Giants will head into the Steel City no worse than 2 games out.

• zumiee said, on August 19, 2015 at 3:56 pm

If the Giants can just hang tough….
      August was the Dodgers’ chance to bury the Giants.
      Giants just gotta keep grinding.

34. Carstie Clausen said, on August 19, 2015 at 3:56 pm

So the A’s are good for something. Wonderful win for them. This should be a fantastic incentive to return to the status of Matt the Horse. Giants need some quality innings piling up. The Cardinals’ lineup is even more devastated than that of the Giants. This could be the perfect venue for Cain to get his mojo back.

35. unca_chuck said, on August 19, 2015 at 4:21 pm

Yeah, in Cain’s case I think there’s something to the mechanics/arm slot thing. He’s been pitching so long with bone chips, he needs to figure out how to do it without them.

He looks great and then poof. No control. No rhythm.

36. djloo27 said, on August 19, 2015 at 4:25 pm

Spiderman!!!

37. Bozo said, on August 19, 2015 at 4:26 pm

Awesome catch!

38. djloo27 said, on August 19, 2015 at 4:26 pm

Lots of applause from Cardinal fans, too…

• Cardinal70 said, on August 20, 2015 at 6:58 am

That was an incredible catch. You couldn’t help but admire it, no matter what side!

39. Flavor said, on August 19, 2015 at 4:41 pm

not sure if I can listen to Kruk blabber on about Cain’s mechanics all game. Might need to go mute button till he gets yanked.

40. unca_chuck said, on August 19, 2015 at 4:51 pm

wow. 5 pitch inning.

41. unca_chuck said, on August 19, 2015 at 4:53 pm

Fricking gameday doesn’t show pitch count. I suppose Cain is up to 60 about now? And Garcia is a 15?

• djloo27 said, on August 19, 2015 at 4:55 pm

32 with 1 out in the 3rd, Chuck…

• djloo27 said, on August 19, 2015 at 4:56 pm

#33 should be coming through your living room window shortly…

• unca_chuck said, on August 19, 2015 at 4:58 pm

lqtm . . .

• Bozo said, on August 19, 2015 at 4:56 pm

Cain has 33 (after that HR), I didn’t see Garcia’s count.

42. Bozo said, on August 19, 2015 at 4:54 pm

Not making excuses for Cain, but after that meeting at the mound in the 2nd with Matt, Buster and young Andrew, I’m thinking Buster should be catching tonight.

43. unca_chuck said, on August 19, 2015 at 4:57 pm

ahhh, 36 pitches as of now.

44. Flavor said, on August 19, 2015 at 4:59 pm

Piscotty Too Hotty…..someone needs to cool him down.

45. unca_chuck said, on August 19, 2015 at 5:00 pm

Fuck. Who is this Piscotti dude?

• Bozo said, on August 19, 2015 at 5:45 pm

Oops, I posted in the wrong spot. Sorry Unca.

46. ewisco said, on August 19, 2015 at 5:26 pm

I was hoping for the silver hammer and got the silver croquet mallet instead.

47. zumiee said, on August 19, 2015 at 5:28 pm

PH!!!!!

48. ewisco said, on August 19, 2015 at 5:29 pm

The horse with some woodie.

49. zumiee said, on August 19, 2015 at 5:30 pm

Yeah, PH who? I know.

50. alleykat69 said, on August 19, 2015 at 5:42 pm

For Nipper,Fuck the DH!!
    Only in Baseball you get a chance to see a pitcher in the AL hit in a NL park with his first ever at bat, Detroit Tigers Daniel Norris goes straight away center field bomb, lefty vs lefty as well, most impressive!!

• chipower9 said, on August 19, 2015 at 5:53 pm

WTF happened to the Nip. And yes….hey Nipper, wherever you are….FUCK the DH! 😛

51. djloo27 said, on August 19, 2015 at 5:47 pm

Is there anyone on the planet not named Brandon or Matt?

52. alleykat69 said, on August 19, 2015 at 5:47 pm

Crawdad!!!
    Huge hit and Kelly didn’t hang Duffy out to dry!!

53. Bozo said, on August 19, 2015 at 5:47 pm

OK, this is going to sound really stupid, but to me Cain’s arm looks more lively as the game goes on (last outing the thing looked like a piece of dead meat). It also looks like he is starting to finish his pitches off better. Am I seeing things through rose colored glasses?

And, WTG Craw.

54. chipower9 said, on August 19, 2015 at 5:51 pm

Where in the hell is Maxwell’s Silver Hammer? What a pathetic AB.

• zumiee said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:03 pm

That was a classic example of the difference between a legit hitter like Duffy and a borderline guy like Maxwell. After a couple of ABs, Duffy altered the plane of his swing to connect with the change-up; but Maxwell’s up there still using the same swing, in the same plane. No adjustment. Then players like that wonder why they can’t stick in the MLB very well. Same as Hector Sanchez.

55. unca_chuck said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:00 pm

Nip’s been gearing up for football on my blog, chuck

56. unca_chuck said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:01 pm

Game cast on Bart yet again… 😠

• unca_chuck said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:02 pm

My daughter put these smiley faces on my phone, and I’m using them, dammit!

57. djloo27 said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:06 pm

Cain jogs like a schoolgirl…

58. djloo27 said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:10 pm

KAT!!!

59. Bozo said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:10 pm

60. chipower9 said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:10 pm

Clark Kent! Hell Yeah!

61. zumiee said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:10 pm

Tomlinson is legit.

62. Carstie Clausen said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:11 pm

So half or maybe two-thirds of a SF lineup has got Garcia outta there in the top of the 7th. We can win this one.

63. unca_chuck said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:15 pm

Wow just swathe Perez catch on my phone.

• Bozo said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:18 pm

It will be on the highlights for awhile. Awesome.

64. djloo27 said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:15 pm

Might’ve beat the tag at 2nd…

• djloo27 said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:16 pm

I was right.

• djloo27 said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:17 pm

Bad job by whoever decides to challenge…

• Bozo said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:19 pm

Just saw that.

• alleykat69 said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:19 pm

Think your right Loo, Should have challenged it..
      WTF was Dunston doing in the trailer besides beating his meat?

65. wilcojoe said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:18 pm

The Dogs getting Utley was a total cock block move. They knew we needed him a helluva lot more than they did. In terms of prospects they were big stacked and we were small. They checked, we bet, and they raised. Well played.

• djloo27 said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:23 pm

We can still beat ’em on the river…

66. Bozo said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:26 pm

Ah crap.

• Bozo said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:27 pm

That would have been a tough pick for Susac.

67. zumiee said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:26 pm

You see that kind of play from rookies all the time. Very few rookies would have the guts to say “Nah, that’s not there; I’ll take the out at first.”

• alleykat69 said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:32 pm

That was the right play Imo Z..
      They just moved the infield in and it was hit directly at KAT,good throw, right spot for the tag, Susac should have hung on, Posey would of..

68. alleykat69 said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:27 pm

Lay off the Vino Kuip, that was a perfect throw by KAT, that’s on Susac for not holding on IMO…

• sandog said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:28 pm

Gracias

• Bozo said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:29 pm

Ball short hopped in the dirt IMO.

69. sandog said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:27 pm

I’m listening to the radio feed. Anyone screw up on that play? Someone point some fingers! Miller is giving me nothing other than saying Susac didn’t handle the throw.

• djloo27 said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:29 pm

I wouldn’t blame anyone. It just didn’t work out…

• sandog said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:31 pm

Works for me

• sandog said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:32 pm

Sounds like my second marriage!

• ewisco said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:32 pm

I blame belt.

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:36 pm

sounds like both my marriages

• alleykat69 said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:41 pm

Kuip, definitely hitting the sauce tonight..
        Just said: Got em, on Belt’s AB that he fouled straight back

70. djloo27 said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:33 pm

Great job by Strickland.
    Looks very confident out there…

71. pawliekokonuts said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:35 pm

This is like playoff baseball. I like how Perez had FUN making his leaping basket catch. Willie Mays had FUN. That was his allure. And I had fun wantching Strickland get those two outs.

72. djloo27 said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:35 pm

Tigers bomb Lester…

73. pawliekokonuts said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:36 pm

I sort of feel that Osich should have caught that dribbler.

74. djloo27 said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:39 pm

Time for a Buster bomb…

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:41 pm

Just by statistical odds, one of his near-misses has to be a bomb, eventually.

75. pawliekokonuts said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:42 pm

Since you’re asking, the colonoscopy went fine. good results. No GoLytely for five more years.

• alleykat69 said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:48 pm

Glad to hear that everything went ok Pawlie, cause colonoscopy’s are the shits!
      And their not even that bad, compared to the 3 liters of roto rooter you have to down prior to going in…

• pawliekokonuts said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:52 pm

128oz

76. pawliekokonuts said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:43 pm

At the risk of sounding like DelmarDennis, Mr. Crawford could use a haircut.

• djloo27 said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:45 pm

He’s a little chunky, too…

• sandog said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:53 pm

…and he uses WAY too much hair product. Timmy and Pagan look cool with long hair IMO, Crawdad, not so much.

77. Bozo said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:43 pm

So I’m hearing of Trumbo and Prado on the kick the waiver wire tire. If that is true, please make it Martin Prado.

• chipower9 said, on August 19, 2015 at 7:14 pm

Agree, John. I mentioned Prado a couple of weeks ago as an option.

78. pawliekokonuts said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:44 pm

All these games seem long, as if I’m staying up for a West Coast game.

79. pawliekokonuts said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:52 pm

All of a sudden, this game sucks.

80. alleykat69 said, on August 19, 2015 at 6:54 pm

Fuck The Molina Brothers!!! Figures he’s the only amigo left still killing us.
    Strickland fed him a perfect pitch!
    Now we’re down to 3 outs just like that.

81. Bozo said, on August 19, 2015 at 7:12 pm

One run game, fuck.

82. chipower9 said, on August 19, 2015 at 7:13 pm

Dammit! Well, they played the team with the best record tough, in their yard.

Cain had a nice game….that was good to see.

Rewind-delete and go get the Bucs.

• eddacker said, on August 19, 2015 at 7:34 pm

Agree, if our broken down old pitchers can stay within a run of the hottie-tottie SL pitchers I am thinking we done everything but win. The two mistake pitches were the offense for the red birds. Breaks and ball bounces have defined these games. With 2 infield mis-cues/almosts in one inning you know we play better than that.
      go get ’em in Pitts.

83. zumiee said, on August 19, 2015 at 7:14 pm

Strickland always seems like one step forward, one step back. I don’t know about that guy.

84. zumiee said, on August 19, 2015 at 7:16 pm

Here’s something funny after a tough loss. This “bad lip-reading” video is pretty darned funny.

85. pawliekokonuts said, on August 19, 2015 at 7:17 pm

A lot of what-if moments, but such is life. Played well, but not enough to win. Seth Everett, a baseball analyst, was on local radio the other day, and he quoted Lou Piniella, something like, “You don’t have to be good; you just have to win.”

86. alleykat69 said, on August 19, 2015 at 7:18 pm

Man we need to improve this pathetic bench.. Injuries yada yada, but as much as Bum, was our best option( which he is over OOOOOOOOOOOO) it’s not how it should be…

87. eddacker said, on August 19, 2015 at 7:37 pm

I was worried that the G-men might peak too early. But with Pence’s latest and a battle with the best team in baseball right now has put us back to where we can roll out the wins in 6 weeks or so.
    #playoffGiants

88. Macdog said, on August 19, 2015 at 8:11 pm

Catching up after not being able to follow the game. Let me get this straight. Bochy says he pinch-hit MadBum because “He had more homers than what I had on the bench. And that’s what you’re looking for there.” Yet he pinch-hit Blanco for Maxwell, who has as many HRs as Blanco and MadBum combined, to start the 9th? And if MadBum is the best PH option, it goes beyond saying Adrianza, no matter how many injuries this team has endured, has no business being on a Major League roster.

• snarkk said, on August 19, 2015 at 8:35 pm

Don’t make so much logical sense, Dawg.
      Bochy is a genius, remember?…

89. snarkk said, on August 19, 2015 at 8:42 pm

Looking at highlights.
    I’m not as down as BF. Despite running out a bunch of no-names onto the field, IMO the Giants can hang in for a while and keep around .500 through this month, they’ll still be in the division race. Dodgers are a mess. More hope IMO to win the div than to win the second WC. But, they’ve got to get Panik and Pence back no later than around Sept 10. Maybe Timmy will be a September surprise. What a story it would be…

• sandog said, on August 19, 2015 at 8:48 pm

You must be drinking the good stuff tonite Snarkk——I’m digging you showing your optimistic side!

• snarkk said, on August 19, 2015 at 8:50 pm

Yeah, got a good Tuscan red goin’ right now…

90. snarkk said, on August 19, 2015 at 8:49 pm

As for Strickland, he’s ultimately on the line for giving up these dingers. But, I wonder what prep and coordination he does with Rags and the catchers? That slider was inside part of the plate just over knee high to Molina, and a slow break. His breaking stuff is not consistent enough, not tight enough to get by with bad location. He really has to work on that slider, and get that breaker more sharp…

91. snarkk said, on August 19, 2015 at 8:52 pm

And, BTW, what a helluva catch by Juan Perez to steal a homer!
    That was a catch of the year nominee — climbed the wall with two steps and makes like Mays over the fence.
    Diggin’ that one. Even the Cards fans stood and cheered it. Kid can’t hit for crap, but he can flash the leather…

92. zumiee said, on August 19, 2015 at 8:54 pm

It can be debated how relevant or irrelevant the Baseball Hall of Fame is for selecting players for enshrinement, but there’s a whole other aspect to the Hall of Fame that is often under-appreciated, and that’s its value as a museum, archive, and research-center. It’s dedicated to scholarship of baseball.
    Anyway, here’s an article from the Hall this month about Candlestick being torn down, and it has a slide show of some close-up photos of the the tearing down. It is disturbing to see the photos:

93. willedav said, on August 20, 2015 at 7:45 am

Pence said he needed a day and was going to get it then went out and hit balls 450 ft in BP and told Bochy he felt fine and so Bochy planned to have him take Tuesday instead.

Nice to have Card 70 around to share posts with. Good series and I’m sure Pit series will be highly charged too.

Sharing blog stuff takes me back to Pawlie’s Starry Night where he takes inside look at other blogs of contenders and what went on at end of 2011 reg season. Good stuff and I’ll go back and re-read that.

Nice take on Dodgers today from Jenkins. Unless he can start or set up, Utley isn’t gonna matter and he quotes Olney on stark differences in stability btw. SF and LA.