On The Ledge…..

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 3, 2015

I woke up this morning and smelled smoke. Not real smoke. Metaphoric smoke. I had hoped it was just Mike Winters smoking copious amounts of pole again. Unfortunately it was a fire and it had burned completely through. Nothing left standing. On the ground, smoldering ash. Not sure if we can rebuild.

Remember this epic movie line? “Her insides were a rocky place where my seed could find no purchase….” You can draw a jagged line from that quote to how I feel about this season. How I miss the “salad days”…..

It would be easy to target my venom at guys like 000 who seems to think tagging helmets with no heads in them is sound, fundamental baseball. And while he didn’t directly cost them the game, all I have to say is FUCK MIKE WINTERS. You’d think that after his obvious horrible call on DeAnza from Game 2 he would be a little remorseful, maybe even sheepish. But nope, there he was again making a horrible call and looking directly into Bochy’s eyes waiting for him to flinch before tossing him again. Seriously, is there ANY recourse to get this clown punished by the league?

Gonna hear a lot about *odd years* and *bad pennies* over the coming weeks. That’s misguided. Sabean got caught with his pants down this season. The roster was poorly constructed nearly from the beginning and now we are stuck with guys like 000 flinching at *Noonan!!!!* from the dugout and tagging headless helmets. He’ll now spend eternity being haunted by ghosts from basepaths past……

That is your 2015 Giants. Consider it an early epitaph.

1. zumiee said, on September 3, 2015 at 5:57 am

They have battled. It’s the best odd-year season in a while. 🙂

• Flavor said, on September 3, 2015 at 6:02 am

yes. No question about that.

2. zumiee said, on September 3, 2015 at 7:31 am

Adrianza’s headless helmet tag was the perfect ending to his baseball career.
    But it’s probably not the end somehow.

• zumiee said, on September 3, 2015 at 7:32 am

That helmet was definitely out, though.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 3, 2015 at 9:16 am

lqtm

• djloo27 said, on September 3, 2015 at 2:02 pm

lulz!

3. alleykat69 said, on September 3, 2015 at 7:37 am

If Winters had his way,we would lose the helmet review as well…

4. chipower9 said, on September 3, 2015 at 7:40 am

I so wanted to just have the opportunity to kick Mike Winter’s ass. I was as frosted as Bochy when those shenanigans went down last night (and the De Aza call the previous night was like throwing gas on the fire).

I know many have called for “the robots,” and I have been hesitant, as I do like the human element of the game. But when you see bullshit like we have seen from the likes of Mike Fucking Winters the last two nights, well, it tests one’s patience with “the human element.”

Unless baseball will get VERY SERIOUS, and hold the fucking umpires ACCOUNTABLE with true reviews of games and calls, and fine their sorry asses, then I am leaning towards “bring on the robots.” (And, the games need to be called per the fucking rule book in regards to strikes and balls…none of this “he is a low strike calling umpire” bullshit.)

I don’t know how much I hang on Sabevans regarding this recent meltdown. Seriously, if the Giants had taken two of three, most of us are not having that conversation. Sure, it pains my ass as much as any devoted Giant fan to have to watch Agent Zero out there at all, let alone on a somewhat regular basis. So, yes, the bench could have been deeper.

But I am not going to hang it all on a weak bench. There were multiple times when the Giants had RISP, and someone not named Agent Zero was at bat, and they could not get it done. They were three closely contested games against our hated rivals, in their yard, where they have excelled this year.

I said last night, it is going to take a miracle, and seriously, it will take nothing short of a miracle for our boys to make the post-season. And I also said, miracles do happen…not frequently, but they do happen.

One day, one game at a time. The Giants need to show us they are worthy of the post-season. They will need some help from the likes of the Pirates, etc. to knock the fucking bums down a notch or two, and it has to start now, as there are only 29 fucking games left. Time to put up or shut the fuck up.

• zumiee said, on September 3, 2015 at 7:48 am

Great post. I posted below before I saw your’s.

5. zumiee said, on September 3, 2015 at 7:45 am

So, in theory, all umps, like Winters, get graded routinely, and his boss will talk to him about his terrible missed calls. Does it matter? Where’s the accountability? How about he be forced to issue an apology, such as a signed statement to the team. How do we truly know he wasn’t involved in “fixing” games?

6. willedav said, on September 3, 2015 at 7:47 am

Even in losses you try to take away something to build on, while recognizing areas that need to be strengthened.
    Obviously, bench was one right from the start. Still, it is really hard to envision losing all 3 of your starting OFs and your AS 2b and SS, plus 3 of your SPs, all in the same season…which is still in reach, barely.

Sure Cards have been hamstrung, but they have better pitching all through their rotation.

Bochy just doesn’t have enough weapons for a fair fight right now, missing Craw Panik and Pence (rough year for him) in the every day LU. He can cover the OF but not IF. When healthy the LU can score runs with anyone and his IF is set with young controllable players at every position.

In a way, Giants situation mirrors that of LA, who dumped off expensive non productive players they are still paying for.
    Giants instead are still paying them but put them in the LU—Pagan, Hudson Vogs Affeldt Lincecum, Cain, none of whom have made many positive contributions.
    Regardless of what you are paying them, imo none of above are going to help you much any more. So going forward you have figure out a reasonable alternative as in Heston Osich Byrd plus one more SP (and a good one will be expensive) and an OF who can give you more pop/better D than Aoki.

7. zumiee said, on September 3, 2015 at 7:58 am

Pagan’s toast; he’s done; but he contributed strongly to two championships, not just one. His strong first half last year helped the Giants bank a lot of wins.

• blade3colorado said, on September 3, 2015 at 8:30 am

Pagan’s a good Giant. I wish him well next season, where ever he is playing.

• chipower9 said, on September 3, 2015 at 9:37 am

Well, he is signed with us through next year at 10 mil, and I do not see them doing an “Aaron Rowand” with Pagan and eating that salary. 10 mil could go a long ways towards the salary for a SP next year. If he is healthy, I fully suspect he competes for a starting spot next year.

8. blade3colorado said, on September 3, 2015 at 8:27 am

Good posts Chi and Zum. I agree with you. In my opinion, this is not entirely on Sabean or Evans. Far from it. I wont reiterate all they did to bring people on board with competitive offers and in some instances, outbid or equaled the competitive bid for players.

Similarly, WillieD’s points about injuries is spot on. There was a gun fight and we brought a knife.

I’m still not giving up on the season, albeit, they do look like toast after getting swept. Probably the biggest reason I am not giving in, is due to Dodgers beating their chest, and specifically this piece of shit owner crowing about his Bums sweeping us, even though they haven’t won jack since 1988. Fuck him . . . Fuck LA . . . out.

Pedro Moura ✔ @pedromoura
    Dodgers owner Mark Walter, walking by the entrance to the Dodgers clubhouse just now, quite loudly: “Who swept the Giants?”
    11:23 PM – 2 Sep 2015
    46 46 Retweets 70 70 favorites

• chipower9 said, on September 3, 2015 at 9:41 am

Good post, Blade. And yes…I agree with much of what WillieD said about injuries. Thanks for the share, Blade.

And on that note…Fuck Walter. Fuck all the bum owners, FUCK the ENTIRE FUCKING ORGANIZATION. Come talk to me when your POS team has won THREE in FIVE World Fucking Serious Championships you fuckwad.

9. pawliekokonuts said, on September 3, 2015 at 9:10 am

I’m not even looking at scores for a few days. (What a liar. How delusional.) It does not change the standings one iota, but the Giants were literally within INCHES of sweeping the Dodgers themselves. The last AB, by Byrd, encapsulated the whole thing. Full count. Two men on, facing one of the game’s best pitching one of HIS best. Instead of a strikeout, a flare, a checked swing hit, a homer, a gapper, whatever, all different. Or maybe not. Maybe the Dodgers would have won in the bottom of the 9th. No matter. That’s yesterday. But the “hangover” hurts.

10. dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 3, 2015 at 9:18 am

Losing that first game seemed to sap the confidence of the club. I haven’t even bothered watching since. It sounds like Agent Zero still sucks.

• chipower9 said, on September 3, 2015 at 9:42 am

I disagree. They battled hard in all three games, and had the opportunites to win every damened game.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 3, 2015 at 9:55 am

You may disagree but I still didn’t watch. 😉

• chipower9 said, on September 3, 2015 at 10:13 am

My disagreement was with your comment that you felt the first game “seemed to sap the confidence out of the club.” You didn’t watch the subsequent games, so you would not know. 😉

• Carstie Clausen said, on September 3, 2015 at 9:49 am

True: It was that 14 inning groaner which sank the Giants. Run differential in the series was 3 over three games: 9-6 in runs scored. The injuries and outages simply caught up to the team at the worst possible time. Don’t even ATTEMPT to tell me that had SF’s lineup included Panik and Crawford, we would not have won at least a single game. Add Pence and it could have been an easy sweep. But wouldda, couldda does not win the Division.

What comes next? Chances of the postseason are now one in 10 ~ at best. One thing the Giants can do, though, is sweep the LaBumbos in that final home set. Two games to one would get the Dogs into a self-doubting mode. Broomhilda would sink their morale going into the post.

• chipower9 said, on September 3, 2015 at 10:15 am

That is a four game set. If the Giants can gain a game a week between now and that series (a little over three weeks away), who knows what could happen. It ain’t over till it’s over…10-1, or not.

11. chipower9 said, on September 3, 2015 at 9:42 am

Not like it’s something we didn’t know was coming, but per CSNBA, it is official. Number 55 is done for the year. That is just sad as fuck.

12. blade3colorado said, on September 3, 2015 at 9:49 am

Ironic – Kershaw became the first NL pitcher to strike out 250 batters in a season since Tim Lincecum of the Giants fanned 261 in 2009.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 3, 2015 at 9:58 am

So just 2-3 more years until the league is teeing off on him?

13. unca_chuck said, on September 3, 2015 at 9:54 am

All this talk of Sabean failing to build a bench is valid to a point. But how many injuries can you realistically account for, or reasonably expect? No one saw Panik as our 2nd baseman on the future last year. And no one saw Duffy as our 3rd bagger of the future. They came in and took advantage.

Granted, Adrianza’s suckiness was a well-know factor, but he wasn’t really supposed to be anywhere near the field in a consistent manner. Even now, he shouldn’t be. But with Panik’s sustained injury problem, we get to see Tomlinson shine in his opportunity and 000-hire backing him up. With Crawford missing time, we are even deeper in the injury hole.

Yeah there were guys available, but the guys we did get have proven to be very solid. Leake has pitched well, but he’s been getting Cained in his few starts, and Byrd has been on fire.

Realistically the bench should be Blanco, Tomlinson, Susac, and Aoki platooning but with all the injuries we get pond scum and AAAers (or 000-er).

• chipower9 said, on September 3, 2015 at 9:59 am

Good points, Charlie. And I like Tomlinson, a lot, but he did look over-matched in a couple of ABs the past couple of games. I hope he continues to progress. If he does, they will find a spot for him on the club next year.

No way I am throwing in the towel (was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor), but I can also tell you I am visualizing sitting in Scottsdale next year and watching the likes of Tomlinson playing for a roster spot.

We need a win tonight in the worst way. The Giants, if they are going to have ANY chance, must start by not only winning games here and there, but they must win series. 29 to go, 6.5 back in the West and WC.

• Carstie Clausen said, on September 3, 2015 at 4:26 pm

Chi: Do you happen to know whether the German carrier force which bombed Pearl Harbor were allowed through the Panama Canal or did they slip around the Ferocious Forties rounding Cape Horn. Another question: How did they manage to sneak past the Royal Navy to get out into the South Atlantic?

14. chipower9 said, on September 3, 2015 at 9:55 am

Here is an aweome piece from Lowell Cohn on Timmy. I ain’t gonna lie…this one brought me to tears…

Thanks to my friend Mike for the share…

55 should be retired as a Giant number. He will always be one of my favorite Giants…right up there with Will Clark.

• unca_chuck said, on September 3, 2015 at 10:24 am

Posted that on my FB page. Good stuff, and I usually hate Lowell . . .

• chipower9 said, on September 3, 2015 at 10:51 am

I have never been a big fan (of Cohn), but that was a good piece.

15. chipower9 said, on September 3, 2015 at 10:17 am

And in other sports news, Tom Brady’s four game suspension has been overturned by a federal judge…

16. willedav said, on September 3, 2015 at 10:17 am

Cubs still have harder teams to play in their division than LA does, in STL and Pit. Brewers recently put a hurt by winning couple on Pirates (9-4 yesterday), and Cubs lost at home to the Reds yesterday when a 2 out 9th inning error by Bryant allowed Votto to come up and blast 3 run HR off Rondon. WC is still out there.

Just an FYI on Posey…he is currently 3rd in NL for BA at .325. Not a lot going on lately in power dept. sure, but he did have 3 hits off Op last night in a game Op otherwise dominated, no small achievement. Susac’s injury was another ill timed thing that forced Giants to play him more than Bochy otherwise might have. At a friendlier yard he’d have more HRs, esp to RF or RCF and he does a fine job behind the plate.

Imo he’s not part of the Giants problems, he’s a tremendous asset. If he needs a few more days off here and there or an occasional spot start at 1b, so be it. Susac is a capable back up with some RH pop vs. LHP. If the end result is a C who hits .325 with 15-20 HRs (way better than Y Molina) he’s worth every cent SF is paying him…unlike quite a few others currently under contract.

17. unca_chuck said, on September 3, 2015 at 10:23 am

I’m no Brady fan (once a Padre . . .) but Goodell fucked this up big time in his need to punish Brady.

Yeah, never underestimate the ability for the Cubbies to choke.

Sure, Colo sucks, but Sherpa-land is a notorious house of horrors for us.

• blade3colorado said, on September 3, 2015 at 10:59 am

Drew Rosenhaus said he would not advocate for getting the decision overturned if he were advising the league. “If I were them I would move on. This has been a disaster for the NFL, they’ve gone after one of their icons—why I’m not sure—to an extent they’ve marred the season, it’s been an overriding story this off-season, it’s really had a negative impact on the Super Bowl,” he told CNBC.

“Now it’s a terrible embarrassment, it’s a huge victory for Brady and the NFL Players Association, and it’s absolutely something that will set a precedent—in my opinion—for other players going forward,” Rosenhaus added.
      The Thursday decision could even potential affect the NFL going forward.

Rosenhaus said Goodell and his management are “big losers here and there’s a lot of egg on their face, especially as there’s been significant financial and time investment in punishing Brady.”

I don’t necessarily agree with his assessment that Brady is a big winner here. I never liked Brady before this incident occurred. Now, I dislike him even more. He is a whiner and yes, a cheater.

Oh yeah, Rosenhaus is a piece of shit too. 🙂

• Flavor said, on September 3, 2015 at 11:23 am

I’m glad Brady got off and I don’t like him. But this just makes Goddell look like the chump that he is. Hope he some how gets ousted. There’s no way the next guy could be as bad as Goodell

18. unca_chuck said, on September 3, 2015 at 10:26 am

Losing Pence all this extended time is the real killer. Panik hurt too, but Pence is a team leader and run producer and his absence is huge.

19. dirtnrocksnomo said, on September 3, 2015 at 10:32 am

That is a nice column, chi. Thanks for the link. I heard on the radio yesterday that Lincecum will probably need surgery. I wonder if Cain will too.

• chipower9 said, on September 3, 2015 at 12:00 pm

YW, dirt. Glad you enjoyed it. Yeah, I think surgery is definitely in the winds for Timmy. Sad.

20. Lisle Ellis said, on September 3, 2015 at 10:42 am

Holy Fuck! You guys are fucking THROWIN DOWN this morning!!!

I’m just waking up (had a 5am bedtime) … gotta get some coffee and read every syllable of every post again … WOW! Incredible stuff from everyone!!

• chipower9 said, on September 3, 2015 at 10:54 am

Oh hell, Lisle…the shit coming out of Flap Universe this morning is just a walk in the fucking park. 😉

• Lisle Ellis said, on September 3, 2015 at 11:07 am

In know you’re kiddin Chi but, I tell ya … from the get go with Flav’s opening statement … you guys – all o ya – are ON FIRE!!!

It’s odd how imminent doom/tragedy can bring out the best in us … Oh shit, I shouldn’t have used that word: “odd”

• willedav said, on September 3, 2015 at 10:58 am

Hey LE, Horace Silver’s b-day yesterday. Just love his music, feel good stuff but also serious composer–always liked that ballad on “Song for my Father” titled Lonely woman. Lot of good players in his bands.
      Also sax man Clifford Jordan, did a lot of combos with great Cedar Walton.
      Hope gig went better than Giants game(s)!

21. willedav said, on September 3, 2015 at 10:50 am

Any idea who leads team in ABs? Posey, with 462.

Months ago I remember SanDawg asked who would have 10 Ws on the team. I was thinking about this when I saw Op had only 11 going into yesterday (leake with 9), so I looked it up on B/R and guess what?
    Bum 16
    Heston 11
    Vogs 9 (10 losses)
    Hudson 6
    Lincecum 7
    Peavy 4
    Cain 2

Leake 0…in 4 starts 25 + innings, with ERA of 3.16 WHIP of .093 and 4.5 K to BB ratio.

All this for the team that is still 3rd in NL for runs scored.

Unc is right, losing an emotional leader and power hitter like Pence irreplaceable. Singles hitter like Aoki easier to absorb, but not middle order bat like Pence. Craw is one of top sluggers on team and GG IF; Panik 8th in league for BA. No one has 2 quality back up IFs and most team can’t match up with Giants starting IF as is.

• chipower9 said, on September 3, 2015 at 10:55 am

What does all that say about Leake? That his timing sucks. He got traded to a good team that has now in his first four starts for the club, forgot how to drive in a run w/RISP. In other words, he has been “Cained.”

• willedav said, on September 3, 2015 at 11:03 am

Ezzackly, better than advertised. Hope SF can sign him.

• chipower9 said, on September 3, 2015 at 12:02 pm

Me too. I have said all along that I was not only happy with the trade, but was hopeful the Giants could sign him to a multi-year deal. He is from San Diego, so hopefully he wants to stay on the West coast, AND play for a winner!

22. Flavor said, on September 3, 2015 at 11:21 am

I’m not down on Leake but I will say it was quite frustrating to watch us claw back to even and promptly give up a bomb to a nearly done Chase Utley. That CAN’T happen……

• Macdog said, on September 3, 2015 at 11:42 am

I didn’t see it, but this Pav tweet kind of bothered me: “Mike Leake pumps his fist as he comes off the field. He’s been excellent … 76 pitches through seven innings.” Yo dude, you left the game trailing 2-1. I seriously doubt MadBum was doing fist pumps after he left down 2-0 the night before.

• chipower9 said, on September 3, 2015 at 12:05 pm

I did not see the fist pump…all I can say is the dude can pitch. And we don’t have too many starters about which we can say that!

Utley was 2 for 15 with a bomb going into that AB. Hey, it happens. If memory serves me correctly, Bum gave up a bomb that proved the difference in the second game.

Leake has been one of the best starters since we acquired him. He has gotten NO fucking run support. I like him and hope he gets signed to a three or four year deal next year.

23. Macdog said, on September 3, 2015 at 11:34 am

I’m not ready to write an obituary just yet, as bleak as this looks, although I’m very close to telling my Mets friends best of luck vs. Dodgers in the playoffs. If they can somehow get to Sept. 28 even 5 games out, there’s still hope. But I’m not sure they’ll be able to survive a 4-game set at Coors, especially with this “MadBum and Leake, then we’re up shit’s creek” pitching staff. I would hope they can score plenty of runs starting tonight, but the qustion is will they score enough?

24. unca_chuck said, on September 3, 2015 at 11:35 am

Yeah. That seems to be the story of late. Claw back and get smacked down the very next inning. I’m sure we must have had a lead in this Dogder series, but it felt like we didn’t.

• chipower9 said, on September 3, 2015 at 12:11 pm

We lead 3-1 from the 3rd through the 6th in the first game. Outside of that, we tied one time (6th inning last night), and otherwise, we trailed.

25. unca_chuck said, on September 3, 2015 at 11:36 am

Mets, Cubs and Pirates would be interesting playoff participants. Sorry Daniel, but fuck the Cards! And the goddamned everlovingmotherfucking Dodgers. Suck it Rooster, wherever you are!

26. Lisle Ellis said, on September 3, 2015 at 11:44 am

@willedav … Oh man, “HORACE” !!! The cat that brought Latin-Funk into Bop! What a genius! I was listening pretty well exclusively to Blues (Mowtown, R&B too of course) in my late teens, shared a substantial record collection with my best friend. We picked up a ‘blues sampler’ because it had a rare track of Jimmy Rushing singing with the Basie band. On the record was “Song for my Father” … Blew my mind!! I didn’t quite understand what was happening but could “feel” the Rhythm & Blues elements … I was hooked. That was the beginning of my Jazz education. Happy Birthday Mr.Silver and Thank You … You made my life better.

27. Bozo said, on September 3, 2015 at 12:27 pm

Fire Evens, Now. Just kidding, but I bet that Fire Sabean Now guy, has the screens made and is inking up the tee shirt presses as I write this.

Tough road ahead for the Giants, but I think the Dodgers shot their load a bit early. IMO, those final games we have with them, in our house, will decide the whole thing.

• blade3colorado said, on September 3, 2015 at 12:49 pm

My take too.

• chipower9 said, on September 3, 2015 at 1:15 pm

Yep…I said weeks ago that I thought the winner of the West would come down to that series and the final week (we play the Rox at home after that bum series) and the bums finish with the Pads at the latrine. So, in addition to the four game set between us and the fucking dodgers, a team could play spoiler those final three days of the regular season, too.

• djloo27 said, on September 3, 2015 at 2:01 pm

Playing spoiler never really did it for me. I think Morgan’s homer in ’82 is the most overrated moment in SF history. We lost the division the day before…

• chipower9 said, on September 3, 2015 at 2:08 pm

I am not a big fan of the spoiler role either, Loo…just saying that it could come down to that being the case. I really don’t give a fuck, as long as the Giants win the West.

28. gianthead said, on September 3, 2015 at 12:28 pm

One thing is for sure that when Pence is not playing, the energy level changes of the team is at like 2nd gear. When Pence is in and firing the team up, it is like the team has just shifted into 6th gear.

I forgot to post this question after game 1. Has Aoki ” concussion

• gianthead said, on September 3, 2015 at 12:29 pm

Has Aoki’s concussion affected his defense. Does not seem is head is completely clear…

29. unca_chuck said, on September 3, 2015 at 12:48 pm

Ahhh, I don’t know, GH. Aoki was pretty squirrelly before the concussion.

• chipower9 said, on September 3, 2015 at 1:17 pm

I agree, Charlie. IMO, his D has sucked from the get-go. He has made a few decent plays here and there, but overall, he is more a liability in the OF (again, IMO).

• unca_chuck said, on September 3, 2015 at 2:13 pm

Yeah, I’ve been lukewarm on Aoki from the get-go. His hitting ranges from pesky thorn in the side to a guy that swings at garbage constantly.

His defense is al over the place. That throw the other day that should have nailed Utley by 10 feet was a throw literally all of us could have made. Instead he threw it 10 feet over Tomlinson’s head from 15 feet away.

He’s seems pretty good at base stealing. I’ll give him that.

• Lisle Ellis said, on September 3, 2015 at 4:07 pm

I agree about Aoki sans defense but was it not pure joy when he was constantly getting on base back in April/May? The only bummer was when Panik, and whoever else, wasn’t doing much to take advantage of the feast he was setting on the table … Panic struggled a bit outta the gate this year, then he settled down nicely … And of course, then Aoki started to slip slide a bit then came the injury … at least that is how I remember it.

30. chipower9 said, on September 3, 2015 at 1:57 pm

According to Baggs, Timmy has already had hip surgery. More to come…

31. unca_chuck said, on September 3, 2015 at 2:16 pm

Shit. I wonder if Timmy will pitch again, let alone for the Giants.

32. djloo27 said, on September 3, 2015 at 2:32 pm

I’ll never understand why there aren’t more knuckleball pitchers. Is it that hard to learn? Why not try teaching it to kids when they’re little? They’d have years to master it and it’s easy on the arm…

33. blade3colorado said, on September 3, 2015 at 3:09 pm

To fit Liriano into my Fan Duel line up, I have a stack of Sanchez, Tomlinson, and Perez in one tourney tonight.*

* Not advisable anywhere else, except Cape Coors.

34. pawliekokonuts said, on September 3, 2015 at 4:04 pm

Loo, why aren’t there more SCREWBALL pitchers? Seriously.

• djloo27 said, on September 3, 2015 at 4:15 pm

It’s a great question, PK. Gotta be tough on the elbow, but so’s everything else it seems.
      Is there just no one around to teach it? Marichal threw it here and there.
      The late Cuellar was the best of his era…

• pawliekokonuts said, on September 3, 2015 at 4:23 pm

That SI article last year or so claims there is no evidence it hurts the elbow. There is, I believe, one guy, in the Angels organization, who throws it now. Not taught in college or minors. Totally taboo. Valenzuela threw it. Hubbell. In the SI piece, Posey and Timmy mocked the concept, incredulous that a ball could do what it does. WHICH MAKES IT THE PERFECT PITCH TO LEARN.

35. Lisle Ellis said, on September 3, 2015 at 4:18 pm

Say Flav, I’ve been reflecting on our exchange last night about the mid 90s Giants dude with the awful BA … It’s funny someone mentioned J.R. Richards because my buddy that instigated the Batting Average Chant in the stands was named J.R. So, it wasn’t Richards because I would have remembered that, I’m sure. The thing that comes to mind – I don’t know why – is that the guy was catcher … with a last name like Reid … Maybe John or Jim Reid? Was there such a player back in 93, 94 or 95?

Btw, I’m the “hardest working man in show biz” this week … out the door in few to another gig tonight (last one til next Tuesday) … so, a tardy response does not reflect a lack of interest in the subject, on my part.

• djloo27 said, on September 3, 2015 at 4:19 pm

Rabb…

• Lisle Ellis said, on September 3, 2015 at 4:20 pm

PS .. It wasn’t the guy with weird name that you mentioned – Elkhart Fenert – ?? – or some thing like that .. That name doesn’t ring any distant bells for me.

• djloo27 said, on September 3, 2015 at 4:23 pm

No, I’m wrong. Rabb was too early. Sorry.

• alleykat69 said, on September 3, 2015 at 4:49 pm

Giants had the Dutch treat dude named Rikkert Fanyette?
        Someone mentioned Mike Benjamin the other day..
        Yeah not a ton of talent, but he did have “His one shining moment” rapping out something like 10-12 straight hits as I recall?

• Bozo said, on September 3, 2015 at 7:11 pm

– I don’t remember Jeff Reed at all. I guess .175 will do that.

36. djloo27 said, on September 3, 2015 at 4:25 pm

Jeff Reed:

37. pawliekokonuts said, on September 3, 2015 at 4:26 pm

I really want to hide from baseball for a few days but an app on my iPad gives score updates. I’m sure I can disable it…..but can I, really?

38. Lisle Ellis said, on September 3, 2015 at 4:27 pm

There must be a place I could look up ancient rosters, right? I don’t have time right now … But later I could … Loo would know, right … He is the enpsychoclopasaurus … 🙂

39. pawliekokonuts said, on September 3, 2015 at 4:28 pm

I know this is whining, but I loathe Kershaw’s windup and delivery. It borders on the illegal the way he stops in mid motion before throwing it. Not that I know the rules. F*ckwad.

40. Lisle Ellis said, on September 3, 2015 at 4:29 pm

Oh Shit … LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!

That’s it …that’s it … THAT IS THE FUCKING NAME … JEFFUCKIN REEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDDD!!!!!!!!

• pawliekokonuts said, on September 3, 2015 at 4:31 pm

epic and awesome exchange, you two knuckleheads

• Lisle Ellis said, on September 3, 2015 at 4:37 pm

… we’d have a group of about 20 or so chanting “one two seven, one two seven, one two seven …” Or some such (I mean his BA was totally fucking abysmal) I can’t really remember The Stick too clearly .. only attended 4 or 5 games there … We’d be pretty much behind home plate but quite far back and high up but I always sensed that even though we were a relatively small group the sound would roll down to the field quite readily … fond memories!

41. pawliekokonuts said, on September 3, 2015 at 4:31 pm

Note to the Honorable Mr. David Righetti, Esq.: DRILL Chase Utley next time we see him.

42. Lisle Ellis said, on September 3, 2015 at 4:48 pm

Thanks Pawlie! Hang in Man! It ain’t over til it’s over .. and it ain’t over yet!

I’m out for tonight, gotta run, but in the immortal words of my current favorite comedian:

“Go Fuck Yaaselfs”

GO GIANTS!!!!

• gianthead said, on September 3, 2015 at 6:37 pm

Love Bill Burr and his podcast…go Fuck yourself:)

43. James said, on September 3, 2015 at 6:02 pm

Does Hector’s start mean Boch has returned to his trusty hot hand approach?

44. djloo27 said, on September 3, 2015 at 6:02 pm

If Pagan can’t hit one out of Coors this weekend, he may never hit one again…

45. James said, on September 3, 2015 at 6:12 pm

Blackmon is more despicable than Turner.

• James said, on September 3, 2015 at 6:21 pm

Of course, I’m not making controversial comparisons between the esteemed artists WJ and JMW.

46. ewisco said, on September 3, 2015 at 6:18 pm

Just the start I’m sure we were all looking for.

47. djloo27 said, on September 3, 2015 at 6:22 pm

When they’re 10 back I’d shut down Bum for the year…

48. James said, on September 3, 2015 at 6:26 pm

I gambled on tickets for 9/12 . . . .

49. ewisco said, on September 3, 2015 at 6:26 pm

And the always lovely 30 pitch first inning while they bat around. Joy.

50. Flavor said, on September 3, 2015 at 6:27 pm

Loo guessed the player who got his batting average chanted? That is so surprising, I can’t believe it! Fun game, thanks for playing. Voggy…..Jesus……..

• djloo27 said, on September 3, 2015 at 6:30 pm

He basically handed it to me at 4:18.
      Love the new BBOTD!

51. alleykat69 said, on September 3, 2015 at 6:30 pm

OMFG,
    I rush my daughter and her friend to the train(49er game) jam home to ketch the 1st inning as my TV turns on theirs the whole fucking infield and Rags looking at a beat down Vogs and its 4- zip????!Fuck I wish I could of went to the 49er game!!!!

52. gianthead said, on September 3, 2015 at 6:33 pm

“Tuuurrrnnnnn Ouuuuuttt The Liiiiighhhhtsss….Voggy Is Oveeeeeeeerrrrr!!!!”

53. eddacker said, on September 3, 2015 at 6:41 pm

Voggy gives up 4 runs in the first . . does this mean he will have a great 6th?

54. unca_chuck said, on September 3, 2015 at 6:47 pm

Given the state of the Niners, this may be a long winter as well.

55. unca_chuck said, on September 3, 2015 at 6:48 pm

OMFG

56. djloo27 said, on September 3, 2015 at 6:48 pm

Vogel-bomb!

57. unca_chuck said, on September 3, 2015 at 6:48 pm

They’ll put a man on Mars, oh nevermind

• djloo27 said, on September 3, 2015 at 6:49 pm

lulz!

58. alleykat69 said, on September 3, 2015 at 6:53 pm

Shit this game never ceases to amaze me.. Voglesong with a bomb to tie Kuiper all time,and of course will now probably out homer Pagan for the season 1-0…

59. eddacker said, on September 3, 2015 at 6:53 pm

And voggy goes yard. The glorious, beautiful confusion that is your San Francisco Giants.

60. unca_chuck said, on September 3, 2015 at 6:57 pm

Arias?

61. unca_chuck said, on September 3, 2015 at 6:58 pm

DP and the error for Duffman. Ouch

62. eddacker said, on September 3, 2015 at 7:01 pm

The biggest downer this season for me, is no return of the horse and the poor field play. It is not surprising but unexpected and no fun to watch. Everyone of the DL injuries have hurt, but injuries are never expected.

63. djloo27 said, on September 3, 2015 at 7:08 pm

Timmy is actually 19-13 in his last 2 seasons combined…

64. Carstie Clausen said, on September 3, 2015 at 7:18 pm

Giveaway game. Vogie starting at Coors and Giants wearing suspenders with no Belt needed.

65. blade3colorado said, on September 3, 2015 at 7:18 pm

Sounds about right for Sherpaland – 4 innings, 7 runs.

• Flavor said, on September 3, 2015 at 7:20 pm

we’d have 0 runs if it wasn’t for our pitcher.

• djloo27 said, on September 3, 2015 at 7:23 pm

So would the Rockies…

• Flavor said, on September 3, 2015 at 7:23 pm

bahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!

• blade3colorado said, on September 3, 2015 at 7:23 pm

Correction – 9 runs.

66. James said, on September 3, 2015 at 7:20 pm

After 3 intense baseball games, a novelty show.

67. Flavor said, on September 3, 2015 at 7:20 pm

Voggy taking one for the team. 11 hits, 3 innings. Is Petit dead or something? The bullpen is rested, why leave Voggy in to give up 11 hits in 3 innings?

• Flavor said, on September 3, 2015 at 7:22 pm

sorry, I’m on internet, not tv. Kontos in. After 11 hits in 3 innings. Wow

68. Flavor said, on September 3, 2015 at 7:23 pm

goodnight……

• Bozo said, on September 3, 2015 at 7:38 pm

I second that.

69. alleykat69 said, on September 3, 2015 at 7:25 pm

18 runs for the Sherpa’s tonight?
    Really want Specs on the mound later, so I can chant “WILD THING”

70. James said, on September 3, 2015 at 7:29 pm

Well, Bochy won’t be thrown out arguing a call against the Giants tonight.

What is the record for being tossed in consecutive games?

71. unca_chuck said, on September 3, 2015 at 7:29 pm

blehhh. At least the Niners got a quick TD. They’d still be behind 9-8.

72. zumiee said, on September 3, 2015 at 7:30 pm

Tonight’s game makes it harder to stay as mad at Mike Winters.

73. blade3colorado said, on September 3, 2015 at 7:31 pm

The humidor and altitude is brought up every frickin’ game . . . Similar to the cold and wind at Candlestick, this story is so worn and old. Yawn. One more reason to end the experiment of baseball at a mile high.

74. snarkk said, on September 3, 2015 at 7:41 pm

Giants turning toes up on the season…

75. unca_chuck said, on September 3, 2015 at 7:46 pm

Chris Rusin 4-7 4.94.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuck me.

76. snarkk said, on September 3, 2015 at 7:46 pm

In brewpub slamming an Altamont IPA on Nitro — very smooth. Barmaid looks like Daisyls younger sister- even smoother…

• djloo27 said, on September 3, 2015 at 7:58 pm

Are you still allowed to say barmaid? Or stewardess?

• Flavor said, on September 3, 2015 at 7:59 pm

bikini? Or are you just imagining that on to her?

• snarkk said, on September 3, 2015 at 8:05 pm

I’m imagining in a bikini she’s overdressed. 5′ 4″, blonde straight hair to mid back, 34c, about 25, Rachel. Dang this IPA is good…

77. pawliekokonuts said, on September 3, 2015 at 7:57 pm

Well, stopping by here tells me all I need to know, girls. Don’t have to check no stinking score. G’night.

78. snarkk said, on September 3, 2015 at 8:01 pm

Looling forward to next season — no Voggy, no Huddy , no 000. No Timmy –him I’ll miss…

• Flavor said, on September 3, 2015 at 8:08 pm

I’m going to miss what Timmy did for the franchise and everything about him but he’s been pretty bad for so long I won’t miss him pitching next year. I’ll almost feel relieved….

79. Macdog said, on September 3, 2015 at 8:10 pm

Back from Lakewood BlueClaws Single-A game, where I texted a little blast from the past to Loo. Saw the Giants score was so bad, I listened to preseason football on the ride home.

• wilcojoe said, on September 3, 2015 at 8:50 pm

Hey that’s awesome. My six year old played for the blue claws in little league last spring. My step-dad, who I think I have mentioned before is from Bergen County. Anyway he went back to Jersey last month, attended a Blue Claws game and brought back Jack a bag full of Blue Claw souvenirs. When he got back he was diagnosed with stage 4 kidney cancer, metastasized to the bone. Thank Christ they live here in Houston and he is being treated at the top cancer hospital in the country. I have spent the last two weeks going back and forth to MD Anderson. Anyway, they just bought a second home near the shore (bucket list impulse buy) about halfway between the Blue Claws stadium and the jersey shore right on the intracostal. It’s going to be a long road, but we look forward to taking the whole family to the shore next summer. Maybe we can have an east coast flapalooza next summer.

• Macdog said, on September 3, 2015 at 9:28 pm

Oh man, very sorry about your step-dad and wish all the best. I’m trying to figure out what town they’d have 2nd home — Bay Head, Point Pleasant? Anyway, yeah, if you’re around here next summer it’d be great to hook up, especially for a Claws game.

• wilcojoe said, on September 3, 2015 at 9:42 pm

Yep, not far from either. I believe it’s technically in Brick.

• Macdog said, on September 3, 2015 at 9:55 pm

Ah, ok, that’s next town over, not far at all from ballpark. Lived there for a little while, too.

80. willedav said, on September 3, 2015 at 8:32 pm

I’m blaming Flavor for this one.
    since he is so good at predicting stuff, this called for a game time thread a la:

“OK we just lost 2 heartbreaking pitcher duels to smellA, so who is with me that Vogs, powered by nuclear (or nucular if you’re into prez bush numero two o and let’s hope there ain’t another one) enchiladas fired up by Nicole in her apron and nuthin, which should fire up something else to go VogelStrong tonite . This should result in our stopper shutting out Sherps on 2 hits through 6 and Giants win 8-3.”

81. willedav said, on September 3, 2015 at 8:43 pm

In other news, on yahoo was a story earlier involving Sam Stosur a little upset about couple things that happened at US Open in NY. They show a picture of her bending to hit a backhand with her right arm extended…and wow what muscle def! She is impressive, from shoulder down to upper and lower arm.

Most gals I see at gym will do hours of cardio or step class but don’t look like they lift anything heavier than a latte from Starbucks.

82. blade3colorado said, on September 3, 2015 at 8:44 pm

Cody Hall, age 27, career minor leaguer, probably is thinking that was his “cup of coffee.”

• djloo27 said, on September 3, 2015 at 8:48 pm

It got creamed.

• xoot said, on September 3, 2015 at 8:56 pm

ha!

83. alleykat69 said, on September 3, 2015 at 8:48 pm

Welcome to the Bigs Cody Hall.Now that Kruk pumped you up like every Giant, I did get a kick out of how far your bomb went into the night and how Kruk actually shut up for a minute waiting for the skipper to yank you..

• djloo27 said, on September 3, 2015 at 8:50 pm

As soon as he got hit they stopped showing his family in the crowd. Would’ve been interesting.

84. Macdog said, on September 3, 2015 at 8:50 pm

The Harbaugh era at Michigan starts with a loss.

• blade3colorado said, on September 3, 2015 at 8:58 pm

So does the Cody Hall era.

• Carstie Clausen said, on September 3, 2015 at 9:07 pm

Hall’s ERA at Sactown was something like 3.64, which is fair to partly middling in AAA, but his getting the call was a bit of a shocker to me. Several non-40 man relievers at Richmond would likely have done better. Maybe Brucie’s mail it in game was this guy’s last hurrah ~ putting the finishing touches on an evening when the only SF pitcher who had a decent evening was Hudson and the position players were mostly going through deflated motions.

• djloo27 said, on September 3, 2015 at 9:09 pm

lulz!

85. unca_chuck said, on September 3, 2015 at 8:55 pm

I remember Johnny Rabb but have no other recollection.

• djloo27 said, on September 3, 2015 at 9:10 pm

Of anything?

86. unca_chuck said, on September 3, 2015 at 9:05 pm

Who does San Dawg rock? Yameed Haad?

• djloo27 said, on September 3, 2015 at 9:10 pm

That is correct, Chucky!

87. djloo27 said, on September 3, 2015 at 9:12 pm

At least we didn’t allow any stolen bases to guys with severed heads…

• Paul Sorensen said, on September 3, 2015 at 9:23 pm

I didn’t see that play, nor have I seen video of it, but I can only imagine that it must be one of the saddest things to see to ever symbolize a player’s ineptitude and/or a season about to crash and burn for our local heroes. It’s the kind of image that replays over and over in nightmares. Tagging an empty helmet. My goodness. Now, tagging a severed head would’ve been much more understandable and exciting.

88. unca_chuck said, on September 3, 2015 at 9:32 pm

What was that movie? Bette Davis? Hush Hush Sweet Charllotte? The head rolling down the stairs? It’s all i can think of now.

89. Macdog said, on September 3, 2015 at 9:44 pm

I think Panik is ready to return: https://vine.co/v/eTgTbedOtHm

• wilcojoe said, on September 3, 2015 at 9:54 pm

That was incredible!

• snarkk said, on September 3, 2015 at 9:57 pm

If he can make that play, then he needs to be brought up to the big club, stat…

• blade3colorado said, on September 3, 2015 at 10:02 pm

WTF? I hope Johnson or one of the other money bags, has him on their private plane to Colorado pronto.

90. unca_chuck said, on September 3, 2015 at 9:49 pm

Wow, Is he in Sacto?

• Macdog said, on September 3, 2015 at 9:53 pm

Yes, Sacto home game.

91. snarkk said, on September 3, 2015 at 9:56 pm

I don’t know why some folks, particularly on radio, figured the Giants were golden once they started facing the Rox and the Pads on the road. Furthest thing from reality. I have almost given up hope, not quite, but it’s close to “turn out the lights” time…

92. blade3colorado said, on September 3, 2015 at 10:05 pm

Gyorko just homered and the Friars took the lead. Hahaha

93. snarkk said, on September 3, 2015 at 10:25 pm

Pads put a 10 spot and counting on the Doghairs.
    Giants have scoring constipation and can barely scratch about 2 runs/game against Doghairs. WTF…

94. unca_chuck said, on September 3, 2015 at 10:38 pm

Pence, Panik, Crawfish all MIA.

95. Paul Sorensen said, on September 3, 2015 at 10:38 pm

Thanks for those 2 links, Mac. Yeah, the helmet tag now has me thoroughly depressed, although if that had been Turner making that *tag*, I’d be laughing my ass off. The Panik clip? As great and fun as Specs has been, we’ve really missed Joe….

• Macdog said, on September 4, 2015 at 12:21 am

If it helps, Turner ended up not scoring. 🙂

• Lisle Ellis said, on September 4, 2015 at 12:31 am

Dog? You still awake? I just got home from work ’round midnight to find about the travesty in Denver … Can you help out here .. Whaaa happened, what the fuck???

96. Lisle Ellis said, on September 4, 2015 at 12:23 am

WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF WTF !!!!!!!!!!

Is somebody fuckin with me … ? This cannot be real!

We get stoned by the Fuckin Rockies? We get 2XBH: a 2B from Perez and a dinger by Voggy? Fuckin Nolan Nobody Rosinbag throws a complete game against us?

What kind of atrocious script is this?

This is way fucking beyond belief …!!!

I’m fuckin speechless …