Big Big Weekend

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 11, 2015

Oh boy, the college football and pro football come fast and furious this weekend. I’m bummed the Giants are out of it but what are you going to do? I’m happy to continue basking. Although you don’t want to bask too long, right? If you do, all of a sudden you look up and your last world series ring looks like this:

dodgerssuck1

I know I posted this before but it still makes me laugh quietly to myself…..

Also, if you ever find yourself looking longingly back at the 70’s, check out this ad….

cigs

1. unca_chuck said, on September 11, 2015 at 10:58 am

Holy shit! Love the Dick Nolan ciggie commercial.

Too bad he suffered the same fate as his son and was a turtle on offense . . .

Anyhow, since I posted this 8 seconds before the new thread popped up, I’m repeating it from the last one.
    ___________________________________________________________

Just found out my work is taking us to the Dodger game on Oct 1.

Anyone else out there going? I have a very slim hope that this will mean something, but I’m not holding my breath. But I rest comfortably in the fact that we are the defending champs until the END of October.

Methinks the Giants need to retaliate for Aoki’s broken leg and all the various beanings and injuries to our players this season. We’ve lost Aoki 2x, Pence, Crawford, and a few others I can’t recall to plunkings this year, and have yet to retaliate.

Maybe a 99 MPH fastball to Grienke’s ribs would soothe my soul a little.

• zumiee said, on September 11, 2015 at 11:47 am

The Giants did hit Turner with a pitch, on the hand, during their last series with them.

• xoot said, on September 11, 2015 at 12:06 pm

maybe the Giants’ pitchers can all try to plunk that exact spot on his hand again, until one hits the mark

2. pawliekokonuts said, on September 11, 2015 at 1:24 pm

what is it with our 2Bmen and their backs?

3. pawliekokonuts said, on September 11, 2015 at 1:27 pm

I haven’t watched the Mets this year but hear them a lot on the radio while driving here or there. So, I have learned their relievers like to quick-pitch. Even the partisan announcers admit it might be technically legit but against the unwritten codes. The Phillies were victims and were pissed. Can’t blame them. Sounds cheap, bush league, juvenile.

4. alleykat69 said, on September 11, 2015 at 1:48 pm

Wonder how many packs Dick Nolan chained smoked through after Preston Riley’s onside kick fumble..
    Along with several alcoholic beverages…

5. djloo27 said, on September 11, 2015 at 5:18 pm

I sense that friggin’ Rooster will be showing up any day now…

6. djloo27 said, on September 11, 2015 at 5:19 pm

I would equate Serena Williams loss today to Tyson losing to Buster Douglas…

• Flavor said, on September 11, 2015 at 5:22 pm

did she lose? Wow. I don’t really follow tennis since I’m already a huge golf fanatic and if I followed tennis too I feel like you guys would think less of me. 🙂

7. Flavor said, on September 11, 2015 at 5:20 pm

Bill Laskey and Vida Blue are hilarious. A caller dialed up KNBR today to ask what their opinion was about what the Giants do with Marlon Byrd as he approaches his player vesting option. He’s 82 plate appearances away from an 8 mil guarantee next year. With 22 games to go, and the team nearly completely out of healthy outfielders, there is certainly a chance he gets there.
    What was funny is that Vida and Laskey had no idea what the caller was talking about. Vida started off by saying “where did you get your information?” like he thought it was bullshit. They then proceeded to have no real opinion about it. Would it be THAT MUCH to ask that these 2 old coots do a little research that at least meets the knowledge level of the idiots who call into KNBR?
    Anyway, the Giants can’t let Byrd hit 550 plate appearances. He’s a 4th OF on a good team and the last thing we need is to have 8 mil shaved off for Byrd. But they’re going to have to get creative in how they sit him.

• djloo27 said, on September 11, 2015 at 5:29 pm

How about on his fat ass?
      BTW, can someone figure out how Casilla’s option works? I looked at Cot’s but it confuses me…

• Flavor said, on September 11, 2015 at 5:38 pm

wow, you ain’t kidding. How do they define “games finished?” At baseball-ref they just say “2016 option may become guaranteed based on performance” but they don’t say what the option is. I’ve never seen that. Whatever the option is, there’s a 1 mil buy out. Not much info there, I guess they can’t figger it out either……

• djloo27 said, on September 11, 2015 at 6:01 pm

There is a stat for Games Finished (GF) – He’s at 45 right now:

So what exactly happens if he hits 55?

Santiago Casilla rhp
        3 years/$15M (2013-15), plus 2016 option

3 years/$15M (2013-15), plus 2016 option
        signed extension with San Francisco 12/17/12 (avoided arbitration)
        13:$4.5M, 14:$4.5M, 15:$5M, 16: club option ($1M buyout)
        2016 option guaranteed at 1) $6.5M with 55 games finished in 2015, 2) $7.5M with 100 GF in 2014-15,
        including 55 GF in 2015, or 3) $8.5M with 150 GF in 2013-15, including 55 GF in 2015

• djloo27 said, on September 11, 2015 at 6:10 pm

I guess if he hits 55 they can either bring him back for $ 6.5 million or buy him out for $ 1 miilion. If he doesn’t hit 55 he’s free to go and they owe him nothing – I think.

• xoot said, on September 11, 2015 at 6:24 pm

I think it means club option for one more year at $6.5M or $1M buyout, unless he finishes 55, then the $6.5M vests for Santiago. But it’s ambiguous. Cott’s can do better.

• xoot said, on September 11, 2015 at 6:25 pm

and there’s the 100 GF 2014-15, etc. wonder where he stands on that?

• djloo27 said, on September 11, 2015 at 6:32 pm

Only 76…

• Lisle Ellis said, on September 11, 2015 at 7:05 pm

Oh man, I missed that Vida/Laskey exchange with a I was listening too but distracted about 1/2 hour in and missed it .. Damn!

Would have loved to hear that! I would of called in and pressed the point just to fuck with them. Yeah, those guys are a complete waste of air-wave space … nothing whatsoever to offer in terms of insight into the current situation.

• snarkk said, on September 11, 2015 at 10:11 pm

It’s feel good radio. They’re subbing for Tom Tolbert and the idiot Ray Ratto. So, they’re not bad compared to the tire fire radio that is Ray Ratto…

8. Flavor said, on September 11, 2015 at 7:04 pm

so things are not unfolding neatly for Wood in Arizona tonight……

9. Flavor said, on September 11, 2015 at 7:07 pm

never heard of *games finished* before but that’s also not a stat that fantasy considers at any level so that’s not surprising. So that’s just games he’s pitching in that end with him as the pitcher. The great Mariano is the all time leader in GF with 952 (if you’re keeping score at home)

10. zumiee said, on September 11, 2015 at 7:13 pm

I was at the Giants game when baseball resumed after 9/11/01.
    Unforgettable evening. Everyone was given candles in little candle-holders as they entered the ballpark. Ushers lit candles at the ends of the rows, and the flame was shared down the rows. Thousands of lit candles. And silence. A symbol of how the nation itself had completely stopped, emotionally, for a while.

• pawliekokonuts said, on September 11, 2015 at 7:22 pm

good description……SILENCE, the new book by Thich Nhat Hanh. I read something by him every day.

• zumiee said, on September 11, 2015 at 7:25 pm

Yes, embracing meditative silence is a strong feature of Buddhism.

• Flavor said, on September 11, 2015 at 7:49 pm

speaking of silence, and I’m not trying to take away from the 9/11 post, that video of the dude in the arcade who catches the Ishikawa bomb? It’s haunting. The entire crowd goes silent for a moment after he hits it. Then, chaos. It’s an unreal video……

11. zumiee said, on September 11, 2015 at 7:22 pm

Arrieta is a big-time contender for the CY. I had thought Greinke had it nailed down, but not any more.

• pawliekokonuts said, on September 11, 2015 at 7:44 pm

gonna be a very interesting vote

12. willedav said, on September 11, 2015 at 7:25 pm

Little over a week ago Killion put yet another hit piece out on Niners, which Chron put on the Front Page.
    No accountability or policy from FO on the criminals on the team was big on the list.
    Then this week she put out a column that had all positive responses from fan base that took up another whole page in SportGreen–this is how I feel, I’m not following or going to games anymore, they’ve lost lifetime Kezar fan yada yada.

So today after what a month? Aldon Smith is back in uniform. He chose Raiders vs. at least 3 other teams also interested and as far as I know can be in uniform Sunday.
    So hello Killion, everyone else in NFL is the same. If the guy can play football, they don’t give a flying F about the other stuff. All coaches I’m sure feel they can help the guy get his life turned around or whatev, but bottom line they really look forward to putting him on the field.

• Lisle Ellis said, on September 11, 2015 at 7:40 pm

Say WilleD … Do you know of the Art Ensemble of Chicago? The Association for the Advancement of Creative Musicians (AACM: the musicians collective that the AEC emerged from)?

• willedav said, on September 11, 2015 at 7:46 pm

Haven’t listened to much of their music, vaguely familiar with Lester Bowie, Don Moyes.

• Lisle Ellis said, on September 11, 2015 at 8:01 pm

Yes, the late greats Lester Bowie(tpt), Malachi Favors(bs) … and still livng members, Joseph Jarmin (sax), Roscoe Mitchel (sax), Don Moyes (drs) … very influential on me … especially, Roscoe who I studied under long ago. The AACM is a still credible organization on the Chicago scene. Trombonist George Lewis who is a MacArthur Award winner and heads the Jazz Dept at Columbia is product of that organization.

• Bozo said, on September 11, 2015 at 8:52 pm

Big fan of Chicago Art Ensemble, but I never got to see them live. Lester was my favorite trumpet player, probably of all time (yeah, above Clifford, Dizzy, Fats Navarro and Booker Little). Some of his solos where he is just blowing through his spit valve just killed me. Saw Lester a few times with the Leaders, Moyes was also in the band as was Arthur Blythe, Chico Freeman and Cecil McBee on bass. I had a chance run in with the group (without Lester) at Coop’s in New Orleans one time, and besides being one of my favorite living bass players, Cecil has to be one of the nicest guys you could ever meet.

• Lisle Ellis said, on September 11, 2015 at 9:27 pm

My friend trumpeter Raphe Malik’s wedding band: Gary Bartz, Larry Willis, Cecil McBee, Billy Hart … Oh man, what a party we had!!!

• Bozo said, on September 12, 2015 at 1:07 pm

Hell of a wedding band.

13. pawliekokonuts said, on September 11, 2015 at 7:28 pm

Is there anything more confusing than the contract amendment the Mets just agreed to with Yoenis Cespedes? I read it, but it was as if written by Hungadunga Hungadunga Hungadunga & McCormick, of Animal Crackers fame. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u8AgUXPpLM

• xoot said, on September 11, 2015 at 7:42 pm

Nice jump cut. Closed clubs bother me, however; at their best I thing we’re talking golf, tennis, and swimming.

14. Flavor said, on September 11, 2015 at 7:42 pm

you guys need to start beatin’ to AZ up 10 nada in the 2nd. Fucking love it. If I recall, early last year, AZ destroyed Kershaw in Arizona like 12-0 or some shit like that. Let’s root for 3 td’s tonight for AZ!!!!!

15. willedav said, on September 11, 2015 at 7:49 pm

Any interest in FA J Up (solo, minus Melvin Jr. of course)?
    25 HRs (leads team) 119 OPS+ (leads team) 19 steals .480 slugging playing at Petco.
    Obviously, he can hit the ball out of ATT, tho he wouldn’t get to do it off Peavy.

• Flavor said, on September 11, 2015 at 7:50 pm

He loathes AT&T. Of course, $$$$ can change a feeling….

16. xoot said, on September 11, 2015 at 7:56 pm

From the blog Peavy’s Eyesight: “I argue everything, I run out everything. What the fuck do I have to lose?”

17. pawliekokonuts said, on September 11, 2015 at 7:57 pm

Was it close for 000 at home?

• willedav said, on September 11, 2015 at 8:01 pm

Not really, ball didn’t get very far into LF on hop, short throw, ball beat him handily.
      Giants have solved 3b this year, but not 3b coach.

• pawliekokonuts said, on September 11, 2015 at 8:02 pm

#flannerymatters

18. pawliekokonuts said, on September 11, 2015 at 8:01 pm

If I am not mistaken (not a phrase you will hear from the 79 presidential candidates very often), Blanco’s concussion was on that callout of popping off the base after the slide.

19. Lisle Ellis said, on September 11, 2015 at 8:15 pm

Where does Belt rank offensively among MLB 1st basemen?

• Flavor said, on September 11, 2015 at 8:22 pm

depends on what stats you look at. Belt apologists around these parts love the peripherals……..

• Lisle Ellis said, on September 11, 2015 at 8:30 pm

His OPS seems reasonable enough but 62 rbi seems low … and my perception is that he is unproductive in the clutch … a consistently inconsistent type.

I read a lot here about Flappers wanting him gone and I gotta say, after his showing this season, I’m beginning to lean that way myself.

• Flavor said, on September 11, 2015 at 9:05 pm

there are some Flappers here (not me, I can’t stand Belt) who would execute you for saying shit like this. And if you don’t know what RC+ is….again….executed…….

• Lisle Ellis said, on September 11, 2015 at 9:32 pm

Do you mean wRC+? If so, yep I know about weighted runs created … But I’m only a peripheral sabermetrics follower.

• willedav said, on September 11, 2015 at 8:25 pm

well tonite he’s the only position player Kashner can get out.

• Lisle Ellis said, on September 11, 2015 at 8:53 pm

yes, tonight he looks particularly shitty … Okay … He is coming to the plate as I write this … Whatever …

I’m not one to rag on a player too much. The exception this year has been 000 & McDP but those are extreme cases. Maybe it is just my frustration and disappointment with how this season has gone … but my sense – and please correct me if I’m exaggerating – is that whenever we really need this guy to step up he doesn’t … or can’t … He is can be great in the clutch when we have a nice lead or especially when there is no one on base. He seems good at running up the score in a blow out … but sustaining rallies or starting one … Nope!

• snarkk said, on September 11, 2015 at 10:05 pm

Belt has had plenty of rally starting hits or walks. James can look it up…

20. djloo27 said, on September 11, 2015 at 8:20 pm

Adrianza can only hope to have as good a Giant career as this guy:

• Flavor said, on September 11, 2015 at 8:23 pm

I wanna see that stolen base from ’67 on high def. How can we make that happen?

• djloo27 said, on September 11, 2015 at 8:29 pm

As crappy as he was no SF Giant baseball card was ever used in the spokes of my bike…

• willedav said, on September 11, 2015 at 8:29 pm

they flashed Adrianza’s slash numbers across the screen, and even if you add his BA in there to OB and slugging, he’s still barely .600.

• djloo27 said, on September 11, 2015 at 8:31 pm

Adrianza’s fan club is made up entirely of seagulls…

• zumiee said, on September 11, 2015 at 8:37 pm

LOL!!!

• xoot said, on September 11, 2015 at 8:49 pm

and then Ehire made a great backhand stab in the hole and a very strong throw to get an important out.

21. Carstie Clausen said, on September 11, 2015 at 8:24 pm

After three full: Peavy 35 pitches ~ Cashner 80.

22. Carstie Clausen said, on September 11, 2015 at 8:30 pm

DJLoo: Betcha Rooster does not show up tonight @ 100-1 or tomorrow @ 10-1.

• djloo27 said, on September 11, 2015 at 8:33 pm

He’s lurking. I can feel it. He’ll probably wait till the magic number is under 5…

• Flavor said, on September 11, 2015 at 8:38 pm

totally agree. He’s coming. Like a Japanese Tsunami. I’m entranced with what dinners with this dude must be like…

23. zumiee said, on September 11, 2015 at 8:35 pm

Soon Posey will just go out to the mound between each pitch, and use his fingers to put the signs directly into Peavy’s hands, straight from the The Miracle-worker.

24. xoot said, on September 11, 2015 at 8:39 pm

from Peavy’s Eyesight: “I will go 6 tonight. Book it, or fuck you.”

• willedav said, on September 11, 2015 at 8:49 pm

Pads are 13th in league for BA, 15th dead last for OB, 11th slugging. 7th for HRs.
      Good match up for Peavy, lot of young guys with little clue.
      J Up only guy to hurt him, so far.

25. Paul Sorensen said, on September 11, 2015 at 8:44 pm

With all the injuries (which really are somewhat shocking), I heard only a little about Posey and his ankle. How big a deal is that? You “trade Belt” guys could very well get your wish if that ankle is going to be a factor that could move Buster to 1B once and for all…

26. zumiee said, on September 11, 2015 at 8:46 pm

I saw The Wolf Of Wall Street last night. Great acting performances. A relentless movie. Kind of exhausting to watch it.

27. snarkk said, on September 11, 2015 at 8:50 pm

My father smoked non filter Camels since he was about 13 until he was around 65 years old. Then. He quit. And smoked a pipe until he died at 89…

• Lisle Ellis said, on September 11, 2015 at 9:00 pm

I saw an art exhibit years ago of this guy who stacked up piles & piles of crushed empty Lucky Strike (non filter) packages … There were thousands upon thousands of them. I can’t remember now how old he was but he was at least 75 … maybe more … maybe a lot more. He also had mounted on the wall his chest X-rays that showed totally clear lungs.

28. snarkk said, on September 11, 2015 at 8:54 pm

Whatever happened to our Taschner — Jack the lefty …

29. djloo27 said, on September 11, 2015 at 8:54 pm

E-Fire!!!

30. snarkk said, on September 11, 2015 at 8:55 pm

000 with a hit and RBI ? The world is spinning off its axis …

31. xoot said, on September 11, 2015 at 8:57 pm

Peavy’s Eyesight: “Eh here ray comes threw! The kid’s had a tough time. But I like him. Good glove, lucky low ball hitter. what the fuck. I’ll take what I can get when Craw and Panik are both gone.”

• snarkk said, on September 11, 2015 at 9:05 pm

I don’t like all glove, no hit dudes. They’re like good looking flat chested chicks. Just OK until the good lookinq 34C comes along…

32. alleykat69 said, on September 11, 2015 at 9:00 pm

Obviously this clown ( no pun intended Bozo) manager Pat Murphy has no clue when to take a pitcher out.
    He will not be back for the Padres next year “I guarantee it”!!

• willedav said, on September 11, 2015 at 9:13 pm

I thought it wasn’t a bad move when they kept Cashner at deadline, but dude is clueless, zero command.
      I mean who else in all of baseball can’t get Adrianza out?
      Cashner has walked him twice and given up a rbi single in one night.
      That ought to be enough to get him traded to Korea right there.

33. xoot said, on September 11, 2015 at 9:01 pm

Peavy’s Eyesight: “Here’s the 6th. God dammit I’m gonna finish this inning with a lead. I swear to fucking bochy I will.”

34. xoot said, on September 11, 2015 at 9:08 pm

From Peavy’s Eyesight: “On to the 7th. I am stoked!”

• willedav said, on September 11, 2015 at 9:15 pm

More like, where am I? and where’s the whirlpool out here? Do they serve sandwiches on that big hill?

35. alleykat69 said, on September 11, 2015 at 9:10 pm

After further review,Ehire’s base hit has been changed to an error.
    The second basemen looked back at his stats on the scoreboard and was busting up as the ball snuck by for a mental error according to the scorekeeper..

36. xoot said, on September 11, 2015 at 9:23 pm

Peavy’s Eyesight: “That fucker has cost me a dozen runs, but damn I needed that one. Good play, Angel. but you still owe me.”

37. xoot said, on September 11, 2015 at 9:28 pm

Peavy’s Eyesight: “I told you, mother fuckers! Seven! Now what’re you going to do with me? 8! 8! 8!”

• willedav said, on September 11, 2015 at 9:38 pm

cough up the $13 mil for next year unless he demands to renegotiate.

But wtf happened to the Cuban alphabet? this guy used to own Giants, now he can’t get anyone out, including the resident River Cats.

• willedav said, on September 11, 2015 at 9:41 pm

Xoot you’re hilarious. But no man, Peavy ain’t seeing the 8th without a telescope.
      Or maybe a stretcher and somebody to sew his arm back on.

38. alleykat69 said, on September 11, 2015 at 9:37 pm

That towering drive by Parker, made seagulls scatter.

39. xoot said, on September 11, 2015 at 9:51 pm

williedav, your view is always clear-eyed, intelligent and well informed. Peavy’s Eyesight missed the mark. Thank fucking god.

• willedav said, on September 11, 2015 at 10:07 pm

Kemp didn’t. I was sure that was last pitch he was gonna throw all night. Much needed effort though, and all the scoring has allowed Bochy to get new guys some innings pitched…including Jr. it looks like.

40. willedav said, on September 11, 2015 at 10:11 pm

Wasn’t 38 the Moon boy?

41. unca_chuck said, on September 11, 2015 at 10:21 pm

Bochy’s first last and only big league action?

Missed most of this one. Woo hoo! Actually gained so w ducking ground. Still a lot of games left. Tad da yards yadda.

42. snarkk said, on September 11, 2015 at 10:21 pm

Why did Bochy take out the new guy looking good with 2 batters retired, to put in Lopez, up 9 to 1? To get that salary per batter faced ratio down a little more? Let the new guy pitch fer Kreissakes…

43. snarkk said, on September 11, 2015 at 10:26 pm

I just heard a little while ago that Blanco is out for the season with a concussion. WTF, yet another injury?…

44. Macdog said, on September 11, 2015 at 10:42 pm

Even if it’s only one night, that sure was good to see. Seemed like they hadn’t gained on the Dodgers since June.

• Lisle Ellis said, on September 11, 2015 at 10:51 pm

Yeah … and tomorrow will be the obligatory one run lose while the Dodgers win … back to where we started today … sigh

• zumiee said, on September 11, 2015 at 11:08 pm

Think positivity! 🙂

• Lisle Ellis said, on September 12, 2015 at 12:14 am

Are you positive you’re negative … ?
        Yeah, I’m pretty much convinced that when I’m feeling positive, things start going south. I come by this sensibility in a most natural fashion.
        Remember when we had that stretch of games after the All Star break in July where we were playing weak teams and I predicted that we would do a hearty face plant? Well, we didn’t. That was a good thing. I also predicted that after losing to those crap teams we should be beating we would amaze everyone by running the table against the powerhouses we would face in that brutal August stretch … you all know how that turned out.
        Im trying not to make that mistake again.

45. snarkk said, on September 11, 2015 at 10:48 pm

Day off probably helped tonight. Looked like it anyway. Hell, play this Parker kid, see if he gets his sea legs this stint up, compared to the last one when he got half a cup of coffee. We need OFers, so let’s see if he’s got any shot at all next spring…

46. unca_chuck said, on September 11, 2015 at 10:55 pm

What happened to Blanco? I don’t remember him getting hit in the head at any point in the last month.

• zumiee said, on September 11, 2015 at 10:58 pm

He slid head-first into Utley’s knee at secondbase.

• snarkk said, on September 11, 2015 at 11:00 pm

In the LA series, he apparently slid into second on a steal attempt, the knee of the 2nd baseman got in the way of his sliding ‘noggin. He didn’t test out for a concussion that night, but got woozy apparently the last few days and got diagnosed…

47. pawliekokonuts said, on September 11, 2015 at 11:16 pm

8/21, that was the last time the Giants gained ground on the ex-Brooklyns

48. willedav said, on September 12, 2015 at 7:21 am

Belt season microcosm last night, for both sides.
    Nice D including stretch to snag Adrianza’s throw from OF grass to get the C out.
    2 runs scored, one out BB/bloop single.
    Alongside 2 Ks with Posey on base that had a bunch of swing and misses on what looked like good pitches to hit.
    So he scored twice and got on base twice (OB goes up!) but could have done a lot more.

And that’s basically my take—he has had a decent season, but less than I hoped for, with way too many Ks.
    Yes he has good slugging pct and a lot of XBHs, but Posey hits 40 points higher because he can get more singles and Ks so much less.
    Belt is still very much work in progress–? would be what is his ceiling, and can he improve. More base hits/better contact rate or more power lower avg?

Nice to see Jr. finish game cleanly, but that fastball was btw 88-90, so he better have movement and command with it.

49. Lisle Ellis said, on September 12, 2015 at 8:44 am

Thanks for your observations WilleD. I posted last night that I was beginning to have my doubts about Belt. Yep, his numbers are decent enough, even very good to excellent in some areas. And his defense is usually solid. Yet, here at the end of the season, my overall feeling toward him is of deep frustration and dissatisfaction with his offense.

Maybe its all the strike outs, especially with ducks on the pond? Maybe it is all the time missed last season and earlier this year? I don’t know what it is exactly …

• willedav said, on September 12, 2015 at 9:01 am

he had 2 really good months, May and August that accounted for 14 of his 17 HRs (good road trip in august).
      June he went 17 for 90, major drought. Sept 6 for 29 1 double 0 HRs.
      Check this out: at home he is batting .314, on road .248.
      At home 4 HRs, road 13. BBs exactly the same, on road 30 more Ks.

So maybe that’s what you have—more pop avg goes way down Ks go up.
      At home (other side of coin) avg goes up more doubles than HRs.
      Current salary $3 mil, likely to go up in arb.

Where does he go from here? and don’t say “hopefully Tampa!”

• Lisle Ellis said, on September 12, 2015 at 11:28 am

Very revealing statistics. Two good months out of six doesn’t impress or build my confidence in him for the future. He has been around long enough now that I think what we see is what we get. He is relatively inexpensive but that may only be of minor consequence. Maybe a trade is a good idea. For who, I don’t know.

50. snarkk said, on September 12, 2015 at 8:54 am

Cubs now only 2 back of Bucs for the #1 WC spot. The WC play-in game at Wrigley would be pretty cool stuff. Arrieta has been a beast, and surely will pitch that game, wherever it is. A 2 out of 3 WC series would be so much better IMO, so both towns could see their crew play at home, and really good seasons for these two clubs that had been in the dumper a long time doesn’t come down to just one game…

51. snarkk said, on September 12, 2015 at 9:04 am

Right now, playoffs would be Mets v. Doghairs, with home field TBD since they both are tied with 80Ws. Cards get winner of the Cubs v Pirates. A Cards v. Cubs NLDS would be great for that rivalry. The Cubs are a real player IMO for the WS — they can flat rake, and with Arrieta pitching lights out, it could be a MadBum redux. Big question would be whether their youngsters can handle the pressure of the playoffs…

52. snarkk said, on September 12, 2015 at 9:08 am

What’s the alternative for Belt? They drafted a RH kid for 1B, but he won’t be ready, if he’s a prospect, for another 2 years at least. Belt’s frustrating at times, but he’s a top tier defensive player, and more than adequate hitting. If you move Buster totally to first, then still keep Belt, move him to LF, he’s more than adequate defensively out there. If Belt played in Houston or Toronto or Yankee stadium or with the Angels or Phills he’d have 30+ dingers and probably be around .295…

• Carstie Clausen said, on September 12, 2015 at 10:46 am

Ir may seem counterintuitive as all hell but i’m leaning towards Belt in the leadoff position. For a rangy guy he does have a turn of speed ~ which you do want there. But the important thing would be for that tired old message of changing his approach at the plate to go for more power (because he plays First) has gotta be shitcanned.

Belt has a superb batting eye and it has cost him more than his share of caught lookings at pitches just off the black. Kill da Ump!!! If allowed to resume his natural bent he will draw a pile of walks as well as possibly lead the league in doubles and will provide double figures in HR’s.

• Carstie Clausen said, on September 12, 2015 at 10:51 am

Somehow this season BB9 has lost his touch with ducks on the pond. He scores more than he drives in. He has likely begun more rallies than any other Giant ~ without checking stats he might be second to Buster in that category. Maybe. Pagan is not a good leadoff man any more. Blanco is so-so good, but does not seem to have the mental stamina to play 600 innings or anywhere near that. Aoki may be a bit of a pinata for injuries.

So if Belt is challenged as an RBI man, bat him leadoff and get that starter sweating. P.S. BB9 also takes longer AB’s with more pitches thrown than ANY other Giant. By FAR. He is death on pitch counts. Batting him in the leadoff slot makes more and more sense the more i think about it. Question is, can BB15 get his big noggin around that?

53. Carstie Clausen said, on September 12, 2015 at 11:00 am

Last night’s 9-1, mostly by the Box. Nine runs scored on exactly ONE XBH ~ that one being Parker’s ground-rule screamer. Yes, he’s due for a VERY long look in ST.

Tomlinson is a shoo-in for prime utility man. He already has 14 RBI’s mostly batting 7th or 8th. Note that he added two SB’s last night. Get him plenty of reps in the OF in the Spring and count on the dude for pinch-running duties too.

Even if it was against a motley crew of Pad hitters Peavy showed he still has gas in the tank. Something to consider for his walk year.

Gearrin may have been another good dumpster-dive. Sabevans and co. are still masters at that art. Didn’t hurt that the RP was well aware of that.

54. snarkk said, on September 12, 2015 at 11:20 am

I’d like to see more of Gearrin or whatever his name is. TJ surg survivor with an abused arm courtesy of Atlanta where he got his start. Like I said last night, I don’t get why Bochy pulled him after he got two outs easily, and brought in Lopez, all with a late 9-1 lead. Does Lopez really need work? Bochy surely could give a reason for that move, but unless Gearrin was hurt, I’ll go out on a limb and say Bochy was seriously overmanaging there…

55. zumiee said, on September 12, 2015 at 11:26 am

Stix, you’re not off the wall with the Belt at lead-off idea. The Red Sox did it quite a bit with Youkilis. It’s too different for Bochy though.

• zumiee said, on September 12, 2015 at 11:30 am

Sometimes Bochy gets a little over-dramatic about stuff like that.

• Lisle Ellis said, on September 12, 2015 at 12:33 pm

Yeah, cannot see Boch going all avant-garde on us.

56. djloo27 said, on September 12, 2015 at 12:13 pm

Sorry, but that idea is off every wall in town.
    This is one of the faster Giant teams in memory – Belt has to be in the middle of the lineup.
    Belt is their most tradeable commodity, but Susac’s stock is way down and moving Posey to first just
    opens another hole…

57. Lisle Ellis said, on September 12, 2015 at 1:02 pm

I know, I know .. and I’m basically in agreement with you Loo … BUT … My sense (or lack thereof) keeps telling me that Belt, with all his wonderful statistical attributes, seems to pick the worst times to slump and be generally unproductive – with the exception of his defense which is, for the most part, very solid, even stellar at times.

What I mean is, sitting here at the end of the season, reflecting on our year, Belt is the only player that gives me that kinda queasy feeling in my gut (Im excluding the obvious duds like 000 from the reflection). I get that feeling about some of ours pitchers as well but I’m not talking about pitchers as that is a whole other reflection.
    I feel good about every other starting infielder.

As for outfielders, it is a known fact that Pagan is questionable and so is Aoki. Both of them sucked, both had substantial injuries. Both were different but the same. Both (especially Aoki’s bat) did a decent amount of good too. I could live with them out there.

For the bench, I do like Tomlinson and Susac. I think they will develop reasonably well over the next few years if given the opportunity.

Maybe Belt is just one of those ‘unlucky’ types … ya know … when he gets hot, everyone else is cools off and vice versa. A wrong-place-wrong-time kinda guy.

I don’t know. I haven’t a lot of facts to back me up beyond what you guys have laid out in front of me here. It’s simply a gut feeling I’m getting here at the end. I think this season was a big moment of full on disclosure/exposure for Belt and I’m coming away from it feeling extremely ho-hum about him and what he brings.

• Lisle Ellis said, on September 12, 2015 at 1:14 pm

Sorry for all the blah blah … not trying to hijack the site here .. but the end is near and I’ve a burning desire to get a few things off my chest … In any case, back to this Belt thing …

I would think Belt probably has better offensive numbers than JT Snow … I didn’t check but I bet he does. Who cares? Not me! I loved JT and always felt something good was gonna happen when he stepped to the plate. I very rarely get that feeling of confidence with Belt.

58. Bozo said, on September 12, 2015 at 1:11 pm

Didn’t stay up for the game last night (watched a bit of the Late Show but crashed pretty early), looks like it was a huge singles party, and a win. All good.

59. djloo27 said, on September 12, 2015 at 1:50 pm

ATT kills Belt and he deserves credit for becoming a decent opposite field hitter. They won 2 WS with him.
    He’s an excellent first baseman. He’s inconsistent and frustrating but he’s also affordable and the best option.
    He ain’t going anywhere…

• Carstie Clausen said, on September 12, 2015 at 2:00 pm

So whattsa you problem wit Belt leading off? His OBP stats alone merit solid consideration for that role. Placed there he would be under very little pressure to drive in runs. Duffy has proven to be an excellent RBI man, on the other hand. I could see him batting 3rd, Posey cleanup and Pence as the Enforcer. Panik bats in the two-hole, natch.

• djloo27 said, on September 12, 2015 at 2:06 pm

He’s a big clod, Stix…

• Lisle Ellis said, on September 12, 2015 at 2:13 pm

All that you say is so very true Loo … It still doesn’t change my gut feeling … but it does help a bit … thx for that!
      I will fashion a ‘mantra’ of sorts for next year … something to the effect of:

“Belt is a bargain at twice the price,
      Dingers on the road and Doubles at home will have to suffice.
      He’s a badass with the glove! Watch him snag.
      And once in awhile he’ll even steal us a bag!
      So what if he craps out with the bases loaded,
      He keeps our payroll from being too bloated!”

I’ll work on it some more …

60. Flavor said, on September 12, 2015 at 2:07 pm