Saturday!

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 19, 2015

I choose not to comment on losing 2-nada to the Dirrrrrrty Snakes.

Today is probably the first time in my life that I am going to watch a Cal game where they aren’t playing Stanford. I am legitimately interested in seeing how they do. Goff is the real deal, I think, and it’s time to find out where the Bears stand against real teams.

And then Stanford will be getting blown out by USC later tonight…..

____________________

Baseball question: Is there a team you are going to be rooting for in the post season? Or are you not interested if the Giants aren’t in it?

I’d like to see The Pirates play the Blue Jays in the world series. Two fun teams to watch…….

1. xoot said, on September 19, 2015 at 8:29 pm

the way the team on the sidelines turned to Goff after that TD, and the way he nodded–yeah, I’m ok–was great. He may be hurt; he may be somewhat seriously hurt. But he was going to win this game, no matter what. Then the break . . . . I hope Goff heals up. He is really a good QB. Excellent road win, Cal.

2. Macdog said, on September 19, 2015 at 8:29 pm

Saw a tweet that Stanford has won its last four games as a double-digit underdog.

3. snarkk said, on September 19, 2015 at 8:30 pm

Yep, I’ll take the win.
    This Cal defense better figure out how to get stout in a hurry.
    If they don’t have the talent again, they need to scheme better.
    Horrendous against a pretty lackluster offensive squad…

4. wilcojoe said, on September 19, 2015 at 8:33 pm

Goff is a total stud. Those are the type of finishes that lead to magical seasons. Heard was like a mini Vince Young but fuck me, how do you miss that kick? Was it just me or did it seem like they rushed that kick?

5. xoot said, on September 19, 2015 at 8:41 pm

I saw some twitter exchanges that analyzed Goff’s hand-size. The tweeters had measurements down to the eighth of an inch. Apparently, those “stats” call into question Goff’s NFL value, especially in the rain. So maybe the California/West Coat drought prevalent during his years here in Berkeley has helped him out? I suppose that’s possible. But his intelligence in the pocket, his strong accurate arm, and his toughness aren’t ephemeral. He’s good. Damn good.

• snarkk said, on September 19, 2015 at 8:44 pm

Rain? WTF is that all about? That’s funny.
      Goff will be a good NFL QB, at minimum. The guy can flat throw. He’s like a skinny Elway. Seriously. When you see his sideline throws live, they’re a thing of beauty. I would take him with a pre-season of practice with the Niners over Kap right now…

6. zumiee said, on September 19, 2015 at 8:51 pm

That ending was like the ending of North Dallas 40. Though, in the movie, the holder fumbled.

7. wilcojoe said, on September 19, 2015 at 8:56 pm

One of the things that really impressed me about Goff was his poise he held in the pocket. A couple times in the first half he was under serious pressure and yet he still managed to get off great throws. That’s NFL material.

8. sandog said, on September 19, 2015 at 9:39 pm

All I really care about in the playoffs is that the Dodgers don’t win it all. I also really don’t want to see the Angels even make the tourney. And I’m no fan of the Cards either. Other than those three, I’m fine with any other team winning it—even the Yankees, who, for some reason, I have always been ambivalent about.
    My dream matchup would be Rangers-Mets. I’d like to see the Rangers finally get over after sucking for so many years and then suffering a horrible beat when Cruz didn’t make that catch against the Cards. I only wish Washington was still their manager, whose style I really liked. (Yes, Flav I know you think he was an awful manager). As for the Mets, they’ve been down a long time and I remember them being blasted here on the Flap for being an awful team earlier THIS SEASON. But they have made some nice moves and had a helluva year.

Flav-it kills me some of the guys you crush. Ron Washington I get. But Posey? Matt Williams? and David Shaw? Now, I fucking hate Stanford, but every time I look up Shaw is is beating a Top 5 team as an underdog. In fact, I’m quite certain I saw a stat last year showing which coaches had the best win percentages against Top 5 teams and I think Stoops was #1 and Shaw was #2.

I love you like a brother, but you can be a tough guy to please, my man.

• Flavor said, on September 20, 2015 at 6:18 am

I can only be who I am.

9. djloo27 said, on September 19, 2015 at 10:51 pm

Kat: Did you ever read the book, “Meat On The Hoof” written in the early 70’s?
    A must for fans of Texas football under Darrell Royal. Not flattering to say the least…

10. snarkk said, on September 19, 2015 at 10:57 pm

Both of the big Bay Area schools had really nice roadie wins.
    SC is better than TX, but still, Cal got over a big hump in beating Texas in Austin.
    Looks like UT may have found their QB for the next few seasons.
    For Cal, this looks like a springboard to maybe at least 7 wins total, and some sort of bowl game, which is a big improvement over the execrable last few seasons…

11. djloo27 said, on September 19, 2015 at 11:14 pm

With the exception of your degenerate gamblers and the old Irish guys that love Notre Dame, college football has almost no following in NYC. I think soccer is actually bigger.

12. snarkk said, on September 19, 2015 at 11:25 pm

I dig college football way, way more than NFL.
    The kids bring big effort, inexperience, miscues, astonishing plays, and excitement.
    NFL brings Gooddell, and 3rd down and 3 plays off tackle getting stuffed. Ugh…

13. unca_chuck said, on September 20, 2015 at 2:10 am

Got to go with the Cubbies or Pittsburgh. Fuck all the AL teams.

14. blade3colorado said, on September 20, 2015 at 7:25 am

Anyone but the Dodgers . . . Soft spot for Pittsburgh, Houston, Texas, Toronto and Minn.