DFS is Not Gambling and Other Thoughts

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 22, 2015
snarkk said, on September 21, 2015 at 11:49 pm (Edit)

You guys that play fantasy league ball — this is basically gambling gone legit, right?
What is the chance, if any, of the money in this driving some sort of player scandal? Can players be tainted or at least tempted to do something or stop doing anything (that is not legal) that some fantasy league players(s) would like to see to see happen or not happen?…

_____________________

No, I don’t consider it gambling the same way I see poker as gambling. There is skill involved with poker but I think far more luck than in DFS. Regarding a scandal, Blade covered it at the end of the last thread. Looking at it the other way, DFS players influencing players in the game, I don’t see that ever happening. The risk would be too great for the player, the gain not enough.

I do wonder about DFS cheating by trying to shut down entire games. For instance, a couple of years ago Fanduel had their million dollar baseball tourney (winner got a milly) and there was a water main break in Colorado. The guy that won that day faded all of the Colorado players and the guy that WOULD have won had the game played had like 4 Colorado players. He finished second. I always wondered about the chances of foul play that day. I don’t know how hard it would be to cause a water main break/problem but it stands to reason that if someone had the means and a shady side to him that he’d do it to win a million bucks. A more simple plan would be to call in a bomb threat or something like that. Because remember, if you could shut a game down then all the players that day do not accrue fantasy stats for that day. Still, you’d have to hit on all the other players you have who do play so there’s no *fix* there that I can see……

Regarding a player playing DFS and starting himself in a line up: What could they really do? Swing for the fences instead of taking a walk? Steal an extra bag? Even if they did that the stat bump would be pretty inconsequential to their *team*. They’d have to have other guys in on it and again, that would blow my mind if it turns out a bunch of players all get together to try to pad stats for a fantasy game they’re playing that evening…….

1. wilcojoe said, on September 22, 2015 at 8:09 am

I think athletes view DFS like a video game and we all know how much these athletes from this generation love their video games. I just don’t think the league sending in some corporate attorney during spring training reminding these kids how dangerous DFS can be for their careers, is going to stop them. Most importantly, the league will just look the other way anyway. DFS is ten times more important to them than steroids ever was or will be.

2. willedav said, on September 22, 2015 at 8:28 am

It is absolutely legalized gambling tho. Kinda surprised to see all the ads for it during games; I’m sure Vegas must hate this stuff. Wouldn’t surprise me it comes under more scrutiny at some point. Not to trying to start stuff, but any of the winnings reported? Or like the track etc., over a certain amount?

I think it would be easier in the NBA to fix individual stats, allowing scoring or rebounding with not quite full on effort. B-ball has had majority of major issues here–Connie Hawkins got banned by being on college team (Iowa I think) that got busted, and NBA wouldn’t touch him for long time.
    And the Arizona State kid (Hedake Smith?) intentionally missed shots and FTs so chump teams they were playing beat the spread to keep gamblers happy.

• Flavor said, on September 22, 2015 at 8:35 am

yes, winnings are reported. I am changing how I do that this year tho and filing it under “other income” as opposed to previous years where I file it under “gambling winnings”

3. Flavor said, on September 22, 2015 at 8:36 am

regarding calling it gambling, I don’t have a problem with that. I just don’t view it that way (and that’s one of the reasons I’m changing the way I report income related to it)

• blade3colorado said, on September 22, 2015 at 9:02 am

I agree with Flavor, but Willie is right too. How so? You are gambling if you think because you “know” players across the league, and that it follows – you think you will be an outstanding DFS player? No fucking way. Also, just knowing a player’s slash line, will leave you in the dust as well.

Conversely, if you “plug in” park factors, lefty/righty matchups, who’s hot and who’s not, VMI, weather (which is related to VMI), and a gazillion other factors, then yeah – it is absolutely, unequivocally, utterly, a skill based endeavor and you will make money.

4. Flavor said, on September 22, 2015 at 8:39 am

If anything, I feel badly for the players who have to deal with this new *pressure*. Many of them have been dealing with death threats as well as social media attacks. Hell, the freaking weather girl for DFS got a death threat last week because she fucked up the weather report for the Baltimore game. That’s crazy to me. But there is so much money on the line, it must turn some guys into vindictive assholes.

• unca_chuck said, on September 22, 2015 at 8:46 am

No, the internet turns people into vindictive assholes. Throw in gambling/money, and they turn into sociopathic psychotics.

• Flavor said, on September 22, 2015 at 8:53 am

agreed.

• unca_chuck said, on September 22, 2015 at 9:28 am

Running a blog has taught me many things!!! Mainly that some people are really twisted freaks who have nothing better to do than piss all over an open forum.

• Macdog said, on September 22, 2015 at 10:17 am

It might be the opposite, that is, if they’re already assholes, the internet with its cloak of anonymity only brings out the worst in them.

5. blade3colorado said, on September 22, 2015 at 8:56 am

This is the conversation from prior thread. Per Flavor, I am repeating it here . . .

snarkk said, on September 21, 2015 at 11:49 pm (Edit)

wilcojoe said, on September 22, 2015 at 5:30 am (Edit)
    I think the same thing every time I play. No doubt in my mind these guys are playing themselves. It will be interesting to see how and when the first scandal takes place.

blade3colorado said, on September 22, 2015 at 7:25 am (Edit)
    “No doubt in my mind these guys are playing themselves.”

I disagree WJ, if you mean a large percentage of MLB players. MLB has “lumped” DFS with their gambling prohibition – this is the numero uno sin – you get caught gambling and you are out of baseball. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.

However, similar to Pete Rose, yes – I do think there are a few “lone rangers” that might be playing. If they get caught, they will be out of baseball so fast, it will make their head spin.

blade3colorado said, on September 22, 2015 at 7:14 am (Edit)
    To the first part of your question snarkk – DFS is not “gambling.” In fact, this is why the Congress passed laws legitimizing it as a “skill” and not pure gambling. Anecdotally, Wilcojoe, Flavor, and myself have all won money in DFS. I will not tell you how much, but I have won far more money, then I have lost. However, my thing is the stock market and I only play DFS for “shit and giggles,” as I do not have time to do both. Flavor on the other hand, plays exponentially more tourneys then I do, and as a result, has especially done well, insofar as total winnings. Consequently, if you know baseball, including Saber stats, etc., and are familiar with all baseball players (not just the Giants), you can make money doing this.

I do agree with the 2nd part of your statement – MLB players are no different then other people who enjoy baseball, gambling and DFS . . . They would play and BE TOTALLY ADDICTED TO IT, if allowed to do so. However, MLB has prohibited the players from doing so. In my opinion, MLB is straddling a precarious perch . . . They want it both ways. They love the fact that DFS is adding millions of fans to the game of baseball, so they have a close relationship with DFS; but they absolutely do not want ball players playing something they privately think is associated with gambling. So, yes – I do see a scandal occurring in the future.

wilcojoe said, on September 22, 2015 at 7:53 am (Edit)
    Blade, I would like to think that players aren’t playing DFS, but I just think it is so prevelant now and so easy to do, that there has to be players out there doing it. In large numbers. I just think it would be so easy to do without getting caught. Of course it is just a matter of time before someone does and then the shit Storm will ensue.

DFS is Not Gambling | THE San Francisco Giants Blog said, on September 22, 2015 at 7:55 am (Edit)
    […] in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 22, 2015 snarkk said, on September 21, 2015 at 11:49 pm […]

Flavor said, on September 22, 2015 at 7:55 am (Edit)
    nice take Blade, new thread. Feel free to copy and paste into the next thread.

• willedav said, on September 22, 2015 at 9:22 am

I can see players encouraging buddies to go all in on particular player(s) while staying out of it themselves. Just seems so much easier for b-ball…”hey Steph gets 50 tonite, book it.”

Might be one of those things to enjoy now as is before it blows up in someone’s face…literally.

• wilcojoe said, on September 22, 2015 at 9:40 am

I agree. Especially for the NBA games. That could be the sport that ruins it for the rest of us.

6. willedav said, on September 22, 2015 at 9:01 am

Something that reminded me of the Zum re posts of Dodgers bloggers, check out latest from Trump and supporters blasting Fox News people like O’Reilly and Kelly for “biased reporting.”
    Trump shot off series of tweets accusing Fox of not treating him fairly (over choosing particular polls that don’t rate him as highly as others) and being against him. His followers are saying stuff like Fox is in liberals corner or Bush’s pocket, and he gets less bashing from CNN.
    At some point GOP is going to have to figure out what to do with this guy and the (scary) people who love him.

7. blade3colorado said, on September 22, 2015 at 9:10 am

Also, Flavor is spot on about “fixing” a DFS tourney. It can’t be done, as he explained in the last part of his thread post. DFS baseball is all about getting HRs, Wins, SOs, etc. In other words, performance, not “throwing a game” as is the case with fixing a sporting event. Same thing applies to basketball and football. You don’t get the proverbial cigar for bad performance.

8. chipower9 said, on September 22, 2015 at 9:20 am

Glad you guys are digging the DFS stuff. I have no time to get serious into that stuff, but it sounds fun.

bums lost last night, so we are seven back, and they have three left with the snakes. As I mentioned yesterday, if the Giants can sweep the friars, or even take two of three, and the bums drop at least two more against the snakes, then that series with the bums will be interesting. And that is all I have asked for over the past several weeks. I know it is all a long shot, but WTF, it could happen.

Here is a good read on Tomlinson talking about playing the OF. Sounds like this is totally his idea at this point (has not been brought up by the Giants). I can definitely see this kid making the team next year as a utility guy.

• willedav said, on September 22, 2015 at 9:29 am

Good for him, he’s been another good find out of farm system, all IFs and pitchers lately.

Thx for Twin stuff Chi. It would be cool to listen to him expound on what he thinks will happen/what he would recommend Giants do with their crowded OF. I’m sure any mention of Pagan would get him going right away.

• chipower9 said, on September 22, 2015 at 10:29 am

Actually, we talked a bit of baseball. He remembered that early on (before he had a chance to prove himself) that I was down on Blanco. Conversely, he has come around on Pagan, and had some good stuff to say about him. He also thinks the Giants should try to bring Byrd back for a year. It is a bit of a challenge carrying on a conversation, as the meds from his surgeries have messed with his speech, but his brain is definitely all there.

I know it may be awkward for some, but he would absolutely love to hear from some of you guys, and some of you here have “known” Twin for longer than me (I had my first tussles with him on the Splash, prior to Craig standing-up this blog).

You can tell that he loves any opportunity to talk baseball.

9. unca_chuck said, on September 22, 2015 at 9:41 am

I guess there is hope. They need to get on a roll rather than these scoreless streaks. I guess Belt is down for the count. Crawfish? Pence? Panik? Just wish the Dogs would roll over and die for a couple weeks.

And yeah, I’d love to see Tomlinson vie for an OF spot. Juan Perez and the Holograms ain’t doing it for me . . .

• chipower9 said, on September 22, 2015 at 10:36 am

Seriously, why the fuck not, Charlie. Damned snakes took out the bums yesterday, why not a couple more in their remaining three games. And we have the capacity to turn it on and sweep the fucking friars.

Maybe I will be wrong, and I am not by any stretch of the imagination saying we will win the West (that would be a true miracle), but there are certainly opportunities here to make that final series with the bums relevant.

HUMM BABY!

10. wilcojoe said, on September 22, 2015 at 9:42 am

Chi, that was great news about Twin. Thank you for going out of your way to communicate with him and then share the news with all of us.

11. chipower9 said, on September 22, 2015 at 10:34 am

You guys are all welcome re: my efforts to connect with Twin. Hey, I have said it before…this blog is a special community, and Michael was a part of it (pre-Flap) before I was. I first “met” Twin on the Splash, and my initial interactions with him were not great experiences, but I persevered. I have learned a lot about the game of baseball from the man. And regardless of the run-ins each of you may have had with him (as I have mentioned, I had a few), he is one of us…one of Flap Universe, IMO.

I truly hope some of you reach out with a phone call. You would make an old man’s day, that is for sure.

• wilcojoe said, on September 22, 2015 at 10:59 am

I wonder if he just copied and pasted that story from one of the numerous ones written by our scribes.

• blade3colorado said, on September 22, 2015 at 11:00 am

Yeah, he definitely could have. Only thing needed was Pablo’s stomach.

12. blade3colorado said, on September 22, 2015 at 11:10 am

McCovey Chronicles/Grant Brisbee passes along a rumor from Buster Olney that the Giants may go after Cespedes. He debunks this rumor and I totally agree with him. Yeah, it might happen, but pigs might fly too.

What is interesting about this column – which I totally agree with – is this excerpt:

“In a longer post for ESPN (subscription required), Buster Olney spends some time writing about the Giants and how they’re set up for the offseason. He talked to another executive who said “the Giants are the quickest fix” of all the teams who won’t make the postseason — an opinion I most definitely share. They need pitching, they’ll have some money, and almost the entire lineup and bullpen is young and/or under contract. They’ll get another starter or two. It isn’t rocket science.” Flapper thoughts?

Here is the Brisbee column about Cespedes if you are interested in that subject . . .

• chipower9 said, on September 22, 2015 at 11:27 am

Thanks, Steve.

Yeah, the Giants could make a real run at Cespedes…

And monkeys might fly out of my butt!

Seriously, I would love to see them make a REAL PLAY on Cespedes, but with the need to shore-up the rotation (as mentioned), I do not see it happening. Giants brass have been on record saying they deliberately went over the salary threshold on the Leake trade, and also said that it was a one-time deal, and that it will not happen again.

Sure, I know that over 50 mil is coming off the books, but you have guys like Belt and Craw who are AE and will get raises, and there is the need (IMO) to add at least one quality starter, and really, as we have discussed here many times, they probably need to add two quality arms. The bullpen could use a tune-up, too, IMO. To me, the first priority is the starting rotation…an OFer comes after that (and probably after the bullpen tune-up), and I seriously do not see them making a play on a big bopper like Cespedes.

• blade3colorado said, on September 22, 2015 at 11:57 am

Chi, any thoughts on what they will do regarding Belt? Sans the concussion, I would have said that they would absolutely re-sign him . . . However, with him being concussion prone/damaged goods, I am now going back to my original thought (or hope?) earlier this season, that the Giants would deal him for a myriad of reasons, e.g., streaky player prone to slumps, not meeting original expectations, so so power numbers at the Phone Park, and completing the “transition” of Posey to 1st.

• xoot said, on September 22, 2015 at 12:10 pm

the Giants’ penalty for going over the $189M luxury tax threshold is 17% of the over–not a huge amount; if a team stays over for a second year, however, the factor rises to 30% of the over (and then continues to escalate every year until the team gets back under). Several good reasons to stay under next year. They can do that and still be solid, imo.

For anyone who’s interested, next Monday, the morning after the blood-red supermoon dazzles us all, the U.S. Supreme Court is scheduled to decide whether it will hear San Jose’s appeal in the antitrust case against mlb. It’s a weird situation. Technically, San Jose doesn’t have a chance a trial. The City has no antitrust standing and no antitrust injury. (There is no actual “market” competition among cities for mlb teams; and San Jose has no ballpark and no contract for a team to move even to their phantasmagorical ballpark.) So San Jose’s case is a dead bang loser. They’re not a proper plaintiff. Because the standing issue is part of the A/T claim, however, and not a constitutional standing question, the lack of standing hasn’t shut down the litigation so far. The lower courts have been free to rule for mlb based on the antique A/T exemption the SCt granted to mlb back in early 20th century (and reaffirmed several times later). If the current Court takes San Jose’s case to review, I’ll be surprised–and all bets should be off. Since Citizens United, I’m convinced the majority on this Court is capable of anything.

• chipower9 said, on September 22, 2015 at 12:58 pm

Hmmm, I thought that whole San Jose thing was done.

• chipower9 said, on September 22, 2015 at 1:00 pm

Since Citizens United, I think a majority of the justices are paid for and bought, just like a majority of our politicians. Citizens United is the biggest problem facing our political system, IMO. That shit needs to be overturned, like YESTERDAY.

• chipower9 said, on September 22, 2015 at 1:10 pm

Blade – on your question as to what the team will do re: Belt, I am unsure. If Susac had remained healthy and had decent numbers, then I would have said there is a good chance the Giants might make that move (trading Belt with Posey to first and Susac behind the dish).

Now? Hell, I dunno. The way things stand right now, I would probably lean towards keeping Belt for another year and seeing how things shake out (with both he and Susac). I don’t think (before the recent events) that Belt has had a history of concussions. Has he? If not, he should be able to get his head straight in the off-season.

I was looking at the stats for first basemen, and I don’t see how the Giants can replace the production they are currently getting. Even if you put Posey at first and Susac at C, I am not sure you get a total of more production than you currently have with Posey at C and Belt at 1B.

What are your thoughts?

• xoot said, on September 22, 2015 at 1:40 pm

Here’s the clearest piece on Citizens United I’ve ever read. The right-wing SCt justices actually hijacked the appeal. http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2012/05/21/money-unlimited

• blade3colorado said, on September 22, 2015 at 2:28 pm

Dunno . . . On June 4, 2011, Belt was diagnosed with a hairline fracture, and was sent to the 15-day DL after being hit by a pitch in a game against the St. Louis Cardinals. Then last year, on July 21 he suffered a concussion while fielding during batting practice. Belt was activated August 2, but was placed on the DL again August 8 when his concussion symptoms continued. Belt was reactivated from the disabled list on September 15. This year we all know what happened with the details of his latest concussion.

Belt is a walking CTE candidate regardless of what happens in the future. His salary is $3.6 million and I believe the Giants still have “team control” next season, so he will be relatively cheap to sign. In my opinion, I certainly would listen to all offers in the off season. Who knows? We might get lucky . . . or do a Ray Sadecki redux. Ha. 🙂

• chipower9 said, on September 22, 2015 at 2:29 pm

Thanks, xoot. I have not read this piece before.

13. pawliekokonuts said, on September 22, 2015 at 11:19 am

DFS. I don’t even know what it is. Distributed file system? Something about fantasies.

• chipower9 said, on September 22, 2015 at 11:31 am

DFS = Daily Fantasy Sports

14. willedav said, on September 22, 2015 at 12:10 pm

Mmm, wonder about the FA market and if Sabes tries to go all in again. Leake has not been much to write home about, so dunno if he’s in or out. Peavy has another year, Heston Cain Bum…

I noticed Lester, the guy SF lost out on to Cubs for $150 mil (6 yrs?) lost Sunday to Cards at home. At first glance, he is now 10-11 for a club that is 25 games over .500, with ERA 3.50 ish.
    Johnny Cueto has not been so hot for Royals either, and that is in a pitcher’s yard.
    Samarzdjia was horrible before throwing the one hitter.
    Fister wound up in the pen.

Signing a big time guy like Greinke (should he opt out) will be really expensive and they would likely demand 3-4 yrs plus. See how Sabes plays this.

• blade3colorado said, on September 22, 2015 at 12:24 pm

All good points Willie. Like you, my stomach turns when the Giants consider more then 2 year contracts for pitchers. I practically vomit when we give out 9 digit contracts to pitchers. Ugh. Always down with pitchers developed via our farm system. Unfortunately, no Cains in our farm system, much less a Lincecum or Bumgarner. No idea how this plays out, but the outcomes you mentioned above are not the exception . . . History confirms this.

• chipower9 said, on September 22, 2015 at 1:20 pm

Evans has publicly said that the Giants will NOT go after any of the big name pitchers (Cueto was mentioned, as was Greinke and Price). What was mentioned was trying to re-sign Leake, and adding the likes of Samardzja or Zimmerman.

I know Leake has not produced the way many of us hoped (or thought), but his current ERA/WHIP are the highest of his career, outside of his rookie season (and all of his past numbers were with him pitching half of his games in that bandbox in Cincy). With that said, I still think he would be a good addition, and think the Giants will make a run at him.

And while I too hate multi-year deals for SPs, the reality is that basic supply and demand dictate that you will have to go at least three with an option to land any of the decent starters on the market.

• blade3colorado said, on September 22, 2015 at 2:17 pm

Down with Leake and Zimmerman (I’ve read multiple articles suggesting Zimmerman would be a good match with SF).

• Bozo said, on September 22, 2015 at 4:50 pm

I think I’d take a chance on Doug Fister. He will be less expensive than Zimmerman and unless his arm is fried, Rags might be able to turn him around to a top of the rotation guy again.

I’m still not sold on Leake, My gut says no, maybe I’m wrong, but I still don’t think he wants to be in SF.

• chipower9 said, on September 22, 2015 at 9:27 pm

Yeah, I am not sure Leake wants to be here, either. But I would still make a hard run at him. I do not think his time here so far is indicative of who he truly is as a pitcher.

15. djloo27 said, on September 22, 2015 at 2:15 pm

We all remember this great scene:

What I didn’t realize when I saw Bum’s Ford commercials this year is that he actually won a Chevy for WS MVP.

• chipower9 said, on September 22, 2015 at 2:31 pm

Yep, and he gave it to his dad, I believe. Dad must not be a Ford man. Or, was Bum really a Ford man before they threw a boatload of money at him…

• wilcojoe said, on September 22, 2015 at 2:32 pm

To this day that is probably the funniest moment in the history of live television. I have probably watched that clip more than all of the Giants World Series highlights put together. Selig’s body language and facial expressions are priceless. Bum was the only one that was unfazed by the guy.

• wilcojoe said, on September 22, 2015 at 2:44 pm

What makes that clip great is not so much the awkward nervousness of the Chevy guy, but rather Selig’s inability to keep HIS emotions in check. The outward disgust that permeates his face is so telling of what a piece of shit he really must be. You almost half expect him to cut the guy off for fear of further embarassment. It’s not Chevy guy we are laughing at, but rather Selig himself.

16. chipower9 said, on September 22, 2015 at 3:14 pm

1. Angel Pagan (S) CF
    2. Alejandro De Aza (L) LF
    3. Matt Duffy (R) 3B
    4. Buster Posey (R) 1B
    5. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    6. Marlon Byrd (R) RF
    7. Kelby Tomlinson (R) 2B
    8. Trevor Brown (R) C
    9. Chris Heston (R) P

Let’s Go Giants!

17. chipower9 said, on September 22, 2015 at 3:59 pm

Here is a link I stumbled across today that discusses DFS…and whether or not it is gambling. I was not aware, but it appears that Congress has its eye on DFS (of course they do…meddlesome fucks).

• Flavor said, on September 22, 2015 at 4:35 pm

this isn’t like back in 2006 when Congress shut online poker down with that absurd act. NFL, NBA and MLB lobbyists would be all over anything Congress tried to do and an amendment would never get off the ground. Plus, the govt gets it’s cut now, the two big sites are based in the US. One of the big problems with online poker was the govt wasn’t making a dime off of it…….

18. blade3colorado said, on September 22, 2015 at 4:12 pm

Off topic . . . Cracking up on owner Jerry Jones, when he wears his “GM” hat. He said this about backup QB, Brandon Weeden.

“This quarterback Weeden can drive the ball down field,” Jones said on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas. “He’s a thing of beauty on throwing a football. His passing motion and his arm, frankly, you won’t see a more gifted passer, power, accuracy, the entire aspect of it. If he can basically prepare, be the starting quarterback, come in and execute and keep his head right, then I feel good about Weeden.”

Umm . . . Today, he traded for Matt Cassel, who will take over for Tony Romo.

• Flavor said, on September 22, 2015 at 4:38 pm

Weeden does have a cannon for an arm, he’s right about that. And Cassel was picked up to be the back up QB. They did need one.

19. pawliekokonuts said, on September 22, 2015 at 4:53 pm

1. Anyone know why Buster is scratched? 2. Loud boo to sfgate.com for moving the Giants toward the bottom of the sports page online, castigating them to irrelevance.

• pawliekokonuts said, on September 22, 2015 at 5:17 pm

his hip and his back, they’re saying

• chipower9 said, on September 22, 2015 at 9:30 pm

It was also said to not be seeious, and that he would most likely be back in the line-up tomorrow.

20. pawliekokonuts said, on September 22, 2015 at 5:05 pm

DFS was a notable NYC ad firm in the Eighties. A friend of mine worked there. Dancer Fitzgerald Sample. It got a mention on ‘MadMen.’

21. pawliekokonuts said, on September 22, 2015 at 5:09 pm

Tiny confession: I’ve been to two SU football games and enjoyed them immensely, tho’ the Carrier Dome felt hot. Eric Dungey, their rather exciting true freshman QB from Lake Oswego, Oregon, and not Oswego, New York, is in a class with my daughter. He got creamed and had to leave the game. SU still won with a walk-on fourth-string-or-so QB, in OT, vs. the Chippewas of Central Michigan. LSU up next. Gulp.

22. pawliekokonuts said, on September 22, 2015 at 5:30 pm

Now I know how Loo feels when the mic goes cold.

23. zumiee said, on September 22, 2015 at 6:13 pm

Dodgers are throwing a quasi-scrubini lineup out there tonight. I don’t know if that’s all injuries or just pacing guys for the playoffs. No doubt they’re feeling their divisional lead is safe.

24. zumiee said, on September 22, 2015 at 6:23 pm

Dodgers and Mets have a close race regarding record, and homefield advantage, separated by a half-game.

25. ewisco said, on September 22, 2015 at 7:13 pm

so i’m in a hotel room near Sandusky ohio and I have to wonder: why the fuck do the Yankees have their own network? it doesn’t matter where I go, what channel I tune to, there they are. so why bother? why pay the cow when you get the milk for free? and why get the YES network when it’s on 24/7?

• djloo27 said, on September 22, 2015 at 7:29 pm

I have to wonder why you’re in Sandusky, Ohio…

• chipower9 said, on September 22, 2015 at 9:43 pm

I believe Eric is there for a snipe hunting convention.

• ewisco said, on September 23, 2015 at 7:01 am

living the dream loo, living the freaking dream.

26. Flavor said, on September 22, 2015 at 7:33 pm

just flipped on the tv, Ross has struck out every hitter so far. Kruk is waxing poetic about how awesome Ross’ stuff is. Does he ever listen to himself? He says this about EVERY PITCHER.

• willedav said, on September 22, 2015 at 7:58 pm

And then he walks Adrianza to lead off an inning, because he’s trying to be Greg Maddux. With his stuff in that yard and vs. this LU, ridiculous.
      Heston definitely fooling his share of Padres too.

27. Flavor said, on September 22, 2015 at 8:04 pm

my idea for the A’s new stadium: well, not really *new*. But they should strike up a deal to play at Evans Diamond. Hey, it’s a nice stadium. Capacity is 2500 but that shouldn’t be a problem for A’s fans. And the best part: all the plumbing works.
    Am I on to something or am I on to something?

• Paul Sorensen said, on September 22, 2015 at 8:06 pm

Or maybe on something… 🙂

• chipower9 said, on September 22, 2015 at 9:33 pm

Snakes up on the bums 3-0, top of the 8th, two on and one out.

28. Paul Sorensen said, on September 22, 2015 at 8:05 pm

Craig, not sure if you saw this, but last thread, you asked “Where’s Mulder?” From Pav: “Tim Hudson will face Barry Zito on Saturday. Mark Mulder will be there and the three will throw out the first pitch on Sunday.” That should be pretty entertaining, watching 3 guys try to throw 1 pitch…..

• Flavor said, on September 22, 2015 at 8:33 pm

praying they throw 3 balls all at once at Vogt as hard as they can……

• Macdog said, on September 22, 2015 at 8:40 pm

Combined, they might not top 100 mph.

29. Macdog said, on September 22, 2015 at 8:52 pm

I think Trevor Brown just made more of a contribution than Gary Brown ever did.

30. chipower9 said, on September 22, 2015 at 9:32 pm

Posting from your phone on this site sucks.

31. chipower9 said, on September 22, 2015 at 9:43 pm

El Caballo Loco!

32. chipower9 said, on September 22, 2015 at 9:44 pm

Going to the 9th…AZ still 3 zip on the bums.

33. djloo27 said, on September 22, 2015 at 9:46 pm

34. Macdog said, on September 22, 2015 at 9:46 pm

Pa-GONE!

35. willedav said, on September 22, 2015 at 9:50 pm

Look at the guys beating the Padres tonite with all the trades and money they spent—deAza, trevor brown, parker, heston kontos. Plus Pagan’s 3rd HR of the season.
    Giants are better than them without half their team– Pence Posey Belt Panik Susac Blanco and Aoki.

36. xoot said, on September 22, 2015 at 9:50 pm

Who would’ve thought this lineup would do so well tonight? Go get em, put em away!

The Ross brothers, Tyson and Joe, are heroes among the young baseball players here in the East Bay. Joe, while he was pitching at Bishop O’Dowd, was a coach of my younger son’s LL team. I like those Ross brothers–smart, supremely talented, good guys. But I’d be glad to see the Giants beat Tyson tonight. Meanwhile, the bums are losing. We’re not out of it yet.

37. chipower9 said, on September 22, 2015 at 9:54 pm

Dammit…need to put these pesty fucking friars away!

38. willedav said, on September 22, 2015 at 9:54 pm

Famous curse of the build up, Kruk special for many years.

39. chipower9 said, on September 22, 2015 at 9:56 pm

Snakes up 4 zip with two on in the 9th. Giants and AZ my two favorite teams right now.

40. chipower9 said, on September 22, 2015 at 10:06 pm

Make that 8-0 AZ…

and a final…

Close this bitch out and we are six back.

41. chipower9 said, on September 22, 2015 at 10:25 pm

I swear, Romo is the epitome of the human rain delay on the mound.

42. chipower9 said, on September 22, 2015 at 10:26 pm

And he can take all fucking day if he consistently delivers like that!

43. chipower9 said, on September 22, 2015 at 10:40 pm

Craw playing Willie Mays there…

44. snarkk said, on September 22, 2015 at 10:45 pm

So, Posey is out due to hips/back?
    WTF? He hit a homer on Sunday in front of the snarkk family, and was playing 1b.
    BTW, in the top of the 8th that game, somebody threw a bad throw to first, wide towards home plate, and Posey basically waived his glove at it. Seriously, a joke of an attempt at picking it. Now, he’s got a bad back? Is this guy fragile, or what’s the deal?
    If you compare production per contract dollar value, Belt may come out on top of Posey…

• chipower9 said, on September 22, 2015 at 10:50 pm

I mentioned earlier that they say it is minor, and they expect him back in the LU tomorrow.

45. Macdog said, on September 22, 2015 at 10:49 pm

Pretty nice win with that lineup.

• chipower9 said, on September 22, 2015 at 10:53 pm

Amazing how most of the young players the team is cranking out now are damned good ballplayers. I cannot remember the last time that was the case, at least not the way it has been the past couple of years.

46. chipower9 said, on September 22, 2015 at 10:49 pm

Ballgame! Six back…

47. snarkk said, on September 22, 2015 at 10:58 pm

Well, Pagan is looking healthy, and making his presence known. Otherwise, nice win by no name dudes. How they’re pulling wins with these lineups is pretty cool. Trevor Brown? 000 is even getting on base now. Has Mac Williamson gotten an AB yet? I want to see him take some swings. Let ’em all play, let’s see if they can keep it going…

• chipower9 said, on September 22, 2015 at 11:02 pm

I have not seen Williamson, but I missed a couple of games this weekend. I want to see the kid, too (both in the field and in the box).

48. snarkk said, on September 22, 2015 at 11:06 pm

Sheezus, Gyros with 4 steals tonight, 3 caught stealing. Bochy is going nuts with baserunning aggression…

49. mrsprtdude said, on September 22, 2015 at 11:12 pm

6 games out with 11 games left? No shot, but it would be fun to make LA sweat a little!

• djloo27 said, on September 22, 2015 at 11:21 pm

Watch the ’66 Mays film again if you want to hang on to hope…

• chipower9 said, on September 23, 2015 at 8:54 am

Actually, the Giants have 12 games, and four are with the hated bums. It ain’t over until it is over…

50. snarkk said, on September 22, 2015 at 11:27 pm

RIP, Yogi Berra.
    Nobody like Yogi before or since.
    You might detest the Yankees, but not Yogi. The guy could play, too…

51. zumiee said, on September 23, 2015 at 12:19 am

I appreciate the Giants’ effort. It’s always cool to make things harder for the Dodgers.

52. Flavor said, on September 23, 2015 at 7:21 am