A Place To Talk About Giants Baseball

They Called Him Yogi

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on September 23, 2015

I’m 100% West Coast and nearly 5 decades younger than Yogi, but I know enough to tip a 2-Flap up salute to the life and career of this man. Most of what I know about him I learned from the radio driving into work today.

He was part of the Normandy Invasion. He won 3 MVP’s and 10 World Series. That’s Buster Posey X 3.

I read a tweet from his daughter earlier this year. It was a picture of Yogi dressed to the nines in his Yankee gear. He had a huge smile on his face. Caption read something like “Game doesn’t start for 7 hours but dad is dressed and ready to go as usual”.

He’s a baseball hero. RIP.

___________________

Also learned on the radio today: Giants were 6 out with 12 to play in ’51

1. Bozo said, on September 23, 2015 at 7:32 am

“You should always go to other people’s funerals, otherwise, they won’t come to yours.” – RIP, Yogi.

Yes, 6 out with 12 to play. Elimination number still at 7, tick tock, tick tock. Time to go get ya some, Giants.

• chipower9 said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:20 am

Awesome piece…thanks for sharing, Craig.

2. Carstie Clausen said, on September 23, 2015 at 7:45 am

“It ain’t over till it’s over”. Yogi’s advise to the Giants as of today. “You can’t think and hit at the same time”. “When you come to a fork in the road, take it”. “Baseball is 90% mental. The other half is physical”. And my favorite Yogi-isms: “It’s deja-vu all over again”.

A big chunk of my childhood went down with Yogi. He was the one Yankee one could not help but liking.Totally one of a kind and he will be greatly missed.

3. eddacker said, on September 23, 2015 at 7:46 am

Yogi is one baseball legend that will bring the biggest baseball wallflower out on the dance floor.
    Lovable, talented, heroic and everyday working man. What else is there?
    Praise be to all’a da baseball gods for putting him in my baseball world.

Go Gigantes! win, won for a winner – Yogi Berra
    [who said] “You can observe a lot by just watching.”

4. djloo27 said, on September 23, 2015 at 7:48 am

4 back with 7 to go in ’62…

• chipower9 said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:21 am

It ain’t over til it’s over…

5. Lurker John said, on September 23, 2015 at 7:49 am

Good tribute, Flavor, to a real character of the game. 14 World Series’ with the Yanks, 10 winners. Amazing. RIP Yogi.

6. zumiee said, on September 23, 2015 at 7:50 am

On the other hand, Buster has won more championships than Ted Williams, Ty Cobb, Ernie Banks, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, and Willie McCovey added together! 🙂

• unca_chuck said, on September 23, 2015 at 8:13 am

You forgot Billy Williams and Juan Marichal . . .

Great tribute, Flav.

• djloo27 said, on September 23, 2015 at 8:26 am

and Yaz, Killebrew, Griiffey Jr, on and on…

7. willedav said, on September 23, 2015 at 8:15 am

Yogi, the kid from Dago Hill in STL, American legend. Class guy all the way…glad the obit got in the dis from Steinbrenner, who did the unpardonable sin of trying to make the ultimate Yankee look bad.

Um, Posey numbers for last 28: .403 avg with OPS over 1.000. For this month hitting .373 with OPS over 1.000. And of course 3 run bomb Sunday that iced W for Hudson with kid C while he played 1b.
    And as JT says, playing 9 innings at 1b does not equal a day off.
    He needs 1 day, I’ll give it to him.

He did this last year too, carrying SF in Sept when he hit .390. He has raised OPS 25 points now 2 years in a row since 2013 and his career avg is .312.

Posey has played in more games and has more plate appearances than any other Giant this year.
    Case closed on the durability issue and props to bochy for being able to get most out of him.

I realize Yadier Molina will get some MVP votes because of STL record, but he isn’t near the player Posey is imo.

• zumiee said, on September 23, 2015 at 8:18 am

And Yadier is out with an injury right now.

• zumiee said, on September 23, 2015 at 8:23 am

Garagiola was from that same hill. He was more famous as a broadcaster, but did win a ring with the Cards in ’46.

• willedav said, on September 23, 2015 at 8:37 am

yeah, used to read his books and stuff he wrote in Sport Mag. Both came a long way.

• xoot said, on September 23, 2015 at 9:51 am

I always disliked Vin Scully for the way he condescended to Garagiola when they did game of the week together. (“I tried shaving with a popsickle stick yesterday.” “What? I don’t believe you.” “Well, I used a depilatory.” “Oh, well, you didn’t tell me you used a debilatory.” “De PIL a tory.”)

• chipower9 said, on September 23, 2015 at 9:01 am

Good post, WillieD. It bugs the hell out of me when people question Buster’s durability.

8. blade3colorado said, on September 23, 2015 at 8:23 am

Hector Santiago pitching . . . “Juuuust a bit outside.”

9. alleykat69 said, on September 23, 2015 at 8:29 am

Yogi Berra truly a icon and a legendary career and family man!
    Lots of similarlys to my own parents, who were born the same year as him, and we’re both married to the love of their lives for 65 years. Both my parents passed away last year which still affects me, and that use to talk about Yogi when I was a kid on how he was such a great human being he was!
    RIP Yoga: You know a nickel ain’t worth a dime anymore..

• djloo27 said, on September 23, 2015 at 8:37 am

Some Yogi thoughts…When Ali fought Frazier the first time in 1971, the Daily News had about 50-100 well known celebs/sports figures make predictions. Yogi was the only one who called Frazier by unanimous decision. Also remember the Mets classlessly announcing Yogi as their new manager in ’72 after the sudden death of Gil Hodges before opening day. Hodges hadn’t been buried yet. And of course, the Phil Linz harmonica story…

10. willedav said, on September 23, 2015 at 8:32 am

That’s 4 in a row over Pads, team going nowhere fast. Gyorko is terrible SS, dumb experiment.
    All that money spent on Kimbrel and no way to actually get to use him.
    Peavy back in friendly territory and then Bum before Oaktown series.

LA has big 2 up next vs. AZ. Op lost his last start to Pirates at home.
    Snakes making things just as difficult for LA as they did here…playing tough here at end of season might bode well for them if their young pitching comes around/they add an FA. OF is dang good, they have a young team and can score runs.

11. Flavor said, on September 23, 2015 at 8:49 am

St Louis fans jizz about Yadi, maybe we need to get Shoptaw’s opinion about this. I agree with the above, I don’t think Yadi is even in the same ballpark as Posey. Biased fan talking? Or straight truth?

• snarkk said, on September 23, 2015 at 8:57 am

Posey’s better overall, Yadi probably better defensively. Put Posey in the St. Louis sauna for a season, though, and see how he does.
      BTW, Belt officially out for the season, in Pittsburgh seeing the concussion medico…

• chipower9 said, on September 23, 2015 at 9:02 am

Straight truth.

12. chipower9 said, on September 23, 2015 at 9:06 am

Awesome tribute, Flav, to one of the true iconic members of the baseball world.

I have NEVER liked the YankMees, but always had big time admiration for Yogi. Class act, all the way.

Regarding baseball, per Yogi…”In baseball, you don’t know nothing.”

And another I always liked: “All pitchers are liars or crybabies.”

RIP number 8.

13. snarkk said, on September 23, 2015 at 9:10 am

Yogi was the Forrest Gump of baseball. He was at Normandy on D-Day. He won umpteen WSeries as a player. He managed WSeries teams with Yanks and Mets. He even managed the ‘Stros to an ’86 division title. The only guy who really got over on Steinbrenner. Hobnobbed with celebrities, even though he probably didn’t know who half of them were. Kids and grandkids. His own museum. HOFer. Stats guys say he was the greatest catcher ever. Nobody said a bad word about him, other than Steinbrenner. What a great life…

14. snarkk said, on September 23, 2015 at 9:19 am

Remember those two high school football players that blindsided the ref during a play several weeks ago? It was originally thought they did it because the ref made some calls against their team. Now, an assistant coach has admitted he told the kids to do it. The coach was upset at the ref for using racial slurs against his players during the game. The ref denies using slurs…

• blade3colorado said, on September 23, 2015 at 9:21 am

I believe the ref. Coach is despicable.

• xoot said, on September 23, 2015 at 9:44 am

I saw those two kids interviewed on tv last weekend. Remorseful and honest.

• zumiee said, on September 23, 2015 at 11:16 am

They have awful haircuts, though.

• xoot said, on September 23, 2015 at 11:55 am

yeah, a trip to the juvie barber chair would’ve served em right. weird-ass whippersnappers But I doubt that’s happening. The coach, however, should be looking at jail time.

15. pawliekokonuts said, on September 23, 2015 at 9:35 am

Yogi was a man of dignity, and cagey smart, like Columbo. I wonder if Yankees fans will note how Yogi stayed away from Yankee Stadium for years, because of how Steinbrenner treated him.

• chipower9 said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:24 am

Great analogy re: Columbo, Pawlie.

• pawliekokonuts said, on September 23, 2015 at 11:43 am

tnx

16. Macdog said, on September 23, 2015 at 9:35 am

RIP Yogi, the world is a lesser place today. There’s a HS football-related function I attend every January in North Jersey, and up until the last few years Yogi would always attend, so it was pretty cool just being in the same room with such a legend. It also became a running gag with my Mets buddy who always wanted to ask Yogi about some pitching move involving George Stone that my buddy claims cost the Mets the ’73 Series.

I sorta liked for the Yanks in the late 70s-early 80s — my AL team, I guess. But when Steinbrenner fired Yogi early in that ’85 season, that was it for me. I loved that Yogi wanted nothing to do with the Yanks as long as Steinbrenner was there, and held true to his word for years and years before finally patching things up. So even then, Yogi imparted a lesson that there’s room to forgive even the biggest assholes.

• pawliekokonuts said, on September 23, 2015 at 9:39 am

our thoughts converged . . . .good post, Mac

17. pawliekokonuts said, on September 23, 2015 at 9:38 am

It’s not just that the math is daunting. If LA loses every game, the Giants still have to win their games. But, hey, they won last night with Team AAAA-000. People assume: all we have to do is sweep the Dodgers. Not so easy. But do I hope it happens? Of course. Of course. Certainly. #hopematters

18. xoot said, on September 23, 2015 at 9:41 am

“If the world was perfect, it wouldn’t be.”

19. pawliekokonuts said, on September 23, 2015 at 9:47 am

My dad, who died in 1989, had a voice and some mannerisms that Yogi reminded me of. Somehow.

20. blade3colorado said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:51 am

Off topic . . . If Warren doesn’t run, I am definitely voting for one of these cats.

• zumiee said, on September 23, 2015 at 11:13 am

It brilliantly satirizes how juvenile the candidates behave at these “debates.” Most of the quotes are direct quotes.

• blade3colorado said, on September 23, 2015 at 11:21 am

Yes, exactly.

• chipower9 said, on September 23, 2015 at 11:29 am

Without Warren in the mix, I just got to Feel the Bern…

• chipower9 said, on September 23, 2015 at 11:32 am

Love the kid doing Rand Paul…LMAO…

21. zumiee said, on September 23, 2015 at 11:26 am

Garagiola’s books are kind of overlooked these days, but they hold up well. One of my favorite stories from one of the books (I may have mentioned it on the Flap before) is Joe talking about how it was such a cultural revelation for recent immigrants on the Italian hill in St. Louis that guys could actually make money and become famous playing a stick-and-ball game. Joe tells how he became a major leaguer, and came back to the hill during the off-season, and an elderly Italian man, a recent immigrant, saw him and called out excitedly, with pride:
    “Joe! You inna da paper, and you no killa nobody!”

22. alleykat69 said, on September 23, 2015 at 12:11 pm

If Brandon Belt doesn’t trust the Giants medical staff with his concussion symptoms, I have a cat at home he can borrow for a cat scan…

• chipower9 said, on September 23, 2015 at 12:53 pm

Trade Belt!

23. Macdog said, on September 23, 2015 at 1:40 pm

I’m not making this up. This was the AP headline when the story broke at 2:39 a.m. EST:

“New York Yankees Hall of Fame catcher Yogi Bear has died. He was 90.”

• alleykat69 said, on September 23, 2015 at 2:46 pm

Quite a gaffe Boo-Boo, Yogi might say..
      No picnic basket for the AP should be allowed today..

24. zumiee said, on September 23, 2015 at 2:53 pm

Yogi Bear would deserve to die. Those Hanna Barbera cartoons were generally awful. The worst era for cartoons.

• unca_chuck said, on September 23, 2015 at 4:11 pm

Well, having grown up with Bugs, Porky, and Daffy, they were a hard act to follow.

• zumiee said, on September 23, 2015 at 4:17 pm

True. 🙂

25. Flavor said, on September 23, 2015 at 4:58 pm

Nothing beat my main man, Foghorn Leghorn……

• unca_chuck said, on September 23, 2015 at 5:43 pm

Hah! Rocky and Bullwinkle were my faves.

• chipower9 said, on September 23, 2015 at 7:32 pm

I say, I say, that is hilarious, Flav. Foghorn has always been my favorite cartoon character.

• Flavor said, on September 23, 2015 at 9:00 pm

“nice boy, but he’s got more nerve than a bum tooth.” My dad was a dentist, I loved that one……

• djloo27 said, on September 23, 2015 at 9:01 pm

I always found him unnerving…

• Flavor said, on September 23, 2015 at 9:05 pm

you just didn’t watch enough of him. Everything he said was gold. Not your type of gold. But cartoon gold.

26. chipower9 said, on September 23, 2015 at 7:30 pm

I really hope Craw hits his 20th HR. Dude has had a career year…that would be the icing on the cake.

Goldschmidt with a HR to tie it in the 1st. Go Snakes!

27. chipower9 said, on September 23, 2015 at 7:35 pm

The one Hanna Barbara toon (I think it was HB) that was pretty good was The Hillbilly Bears. Check out Paw Rugg (one of the characters), and tell me that isn’t Madison Bumgarner.

28. willedav said, on September 23, 2015 at 7:45 pm

Mmm, Posey is a Georgia kid who played college ball in florida (maybe), so I don’t think STL would be anything he couldn’t handle. Plus, he’d get to hit in Milwaukee Cincy and the Windy a lot more often, which would be beat Petco an awful lot. Yadi can’t seem to actually finish a season any more.

Meanwhile, Yadi, with his 4 HRs, probably wouldn’t care to play 81 at ATT much.

29. willedav said, on September 23, 2015 at 7:50 pm

OK, this indirectly involves Yogi: one of the dirtier secrets about Yanks (and Red Sox too) was their aversion to putting a black player into those famous pinstripes.
    Elston Howard I think was the first, during the time Yogi was there, and I believe he got held back a few more years than was necessary. At same time, other NYC teams had multiple black stars like Mays Monte Irvin Campanella J Robinson and Don Newcombe.

Unfamiliar with much of story but I’d guess Yogi tried to help the kid as much as possible.
    Maybe East Coast know more about it.

• xoot said, on September 23, 2015 at 8:40 pm

I was a Yankee fan as a kid (long story), and I remember Elston Howard taking over at catcher and Yogi moving to the OF. Elston H was the lone African American on the team, if I remember correctly, but talentwise he fit right in–helluva player. I depended mainly on the newspapers for info, so I have no idea how Yogi and Howard got along. Great inquiry idea.

• djloo27 said, on September 23, 2015 at 8:45 pm

Ellie’s death was virtually ignored because he passed away the same week John Lennon was murdered…

• xoot said, on September 23, 2015 at 9:44 pm

I’m sure I noted Howard’s passing, but I don’t recall. That’s sad. I spent that winter chasing tail in Grass Valley and Nevada City, and “Starting Over” was always playing on the juke boxes. I was distracted. (I never thought of him as “Ellie.” Rarely had access to tv or radio games. Whitey and Moose were the only nicknames I knew, other than Yogi.)

30. snarkk said, on September 23, 2015 at 8:25 pm

I’m liking Byrd more and more. Give him the ABs and get him that option Okd at 8M for next year…

• chipower9 said, on September 23, 2015 at 8:57 pm

Agree.

31. snarkk said, on September 23, 2015 at 8:32 pm

Peavy has a weird follow thru, as in none. He’s good thru 53 pitches, but Bochy needs the hook around 85. Let’s see if Bochy can stop the bro/love around that pitch count…

• chipower9 said, on September 23, 2015 at 8:58 pm

My money says probably not…

32. snarkk said, on September 23, 2015 at 8:34 pm

Wtf was posey doing on that squibber? Peavy made a great play on his own– risked getting spiked in the arm/hand…

33. blade3colorado said, on September 23, 2015 at 8:43 pm

Loo, do you remember this – OTD IN 1908: FRED MERKLE’S INFAMOUS GAFFE
    The Giants and Cubs were tied in the 9th when Merkle — who was at 1st — failed to advance to 2nd as the winning run scored. He was tagged out. Chicago took the pennant after what came to be known as “Merkle’s Boner,” one of the most controversial games in baseball history.

• djloo27 said, on September 23, 2015 at 8:51 pm

Like it was yesterday…

• blade3colorado said, on September 23, 2015 at 8:56 pm

Thought so . . . 🙂

34. djloo27 said, on September 23, 2015 at 9:11 pm

Peavy’s right leg crossover kick at the end of his motion is kind of odd. Looks like some kind of wacky dance step. Wonder if it distracts the hitter…

35. chipower9 said, on September 23, 2015 at 9:15 pm

AZ playing the bums tough. 1-1, top of the 8th.

36. zumiee said, on September 23, 2015 at 9:21 pm

In the category of ‘overshadowed deaths,’ Groucho Marx died three days after Elvis died.

• djloo27 said, on September 23, 2015 at 9:26 pm

Good one Zum. And that was just days after they caught Son of Sam…

37. djloo27 said, on September 23, 2015 at 9:29 pm

Not quite the same thing, but there were all kinds of events planned in 2001 for the 50th anniversary of Bobby Thomson’s homer. All canceled due to 9/11…

• chipower9 said, on September 23, 2015 at 9:36 pm

Interesting…did not know that…

• xoot said, on September 23, 2015 at 9:55 pm

I think Pawlie has posted about this before, but check out the first chapter of Don Dellilo’s Underworld–set in the Polo Grounds. The shot heard round the world coincides with USSR’s first successful A-Bomb test. US government honchos attending the game receive the news while they’re sitting in their seats there.

38. Paul Sorensen said, on September 23, 2015 at 9:30 pm

As as young boy in Joisey, of course I grew up watching the Mick, Maris and Berra, et al. Back in the early to mid-’60s, MLB made figurines of star players, probably about 6 inches high (today’s bobbleheads have likely replaced those). I had a Mantle figurine, showing him extended on a swing, but my fav was Yogi; it showed him in a half-crouch, mask in hand, looking up at the sky presumably at a pop fly. I just thought that was the coolest thing. Long gone, of course, and now so is he. He was truly one of a kind.

• djloo27 said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:13 pm

I was obsessed with catcher’s mitts as a kid. They don’t make ’em like they used to but even now when I’m in a sporting goods store, I’ll usually try a few on for size. I remember staring at this card for hours on end:

39. unca_chuck said, on September 23, 2015 at 9:48 pm

Shit. Turn the game on just in time to see the Pads tie it up.

Parker!!!!! None tied!!!

• chipower9 said, on September 23, 2015 at 9:49 pm

This is good as the bums put up three runs in the 8th…4-1 final. Fucking dodgers.

40. chipower9 said, on September 23, 2015 at 9:48 pm

Whoot. There goes that Parker kid again!

41. djloo27 said, on September 23, 2015 at 9:48 pm

Parked it!!!!

42. chipower9 said, on September 23, 2015 at 9:50 pm

I think Parker could get a serious look next year in ST. I knew the kid had some pop from watching him is Sacramento, but wondered it if would translate to the big club. Early results say yes.

43. Macdog said, on September 23, 2015 at 9:52 pm

Petco Parker bomb!

44. unca_chuck said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:04 pm

Fuck, Romo. There goes the win.

45. djloo27 said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:06 pm

What the fuck?

46. blade3colorado said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:08 pm

Ya gotta be shittin’ me?

47. unca_chuck said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:12 pm

Can’t get one fucking out.

48. blade3colorado said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:15 pm

Jankowski doubled to left, Wallace and Gyorko scored – 2 of these guys I have never even heard of.

Pfffttt!

• blade3colorado said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:17 pm

. . . and Gyorko was almost out of baseball after that POS season he had last year.

49. unca_chuck said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:18 pm

Kimbrel really has to lose the pteradactyl look. I man, what the bloody fuck is that? Are you scaring people by looking like road kill?

Nice catch, Matt.

50. unca_chuck said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:19 pm

Bout time for Crawfish’s 20th…

51. unca_chuck said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:20 pm

That’ll work. Let’s go, Mac….!

52. chipower9 said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:20 pm

Romo has been pretty good lately…but he sure ask fuck didn’t have it tonight.

Where’s snarkk…Williamson is getting a shot…

• snarkk said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:22 pm

Not sure it’s fair of Bochy to put Williamson in his first ever AB in this spot…

• unca_chuck said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:23 pm

No shit. Welcome to the bigs, Mac.

• snarkk said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:24 pm

Wow, what a surprise, a strikeout…

53. unca_chuck said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:22 pm

Just a fly ball.

54. snarkk said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:23 pm

I’d put a PRunner in for Posey, if I could figure out who’d play first…

• unca_chuck said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:24 pm

HE’s at 3rd . . .

• snarkk said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:26 pm

I know he’s at third, he’s slow as molasses…

55. unca_chuck said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:24 pm

Still, just a fly ball.

• snarkk said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:25 pm

You could try a bunt, if somebody were on third that could run…

56. unca_chuck said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:27 pm

All i’m saying is if you are going to pinch run for him, you do it when he’s on 1st. Perez likely scores on Crawfish’s double.

• snarkk said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:27 pm

I say you do everything to tie it, then see what happens. You can’t win if you can’t tie…

• djloo27 said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:30 pm

I think I saw that Perez is on the 60 day DL for some fuckin’ reason…

• unca_chuck said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:35 pm

Missed that . . .

• snarkk said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:37 pm

Strained his left oblique the other night at ATT taking a murderous cut…

57. blade3colorado said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:27 pm

Fuck. No Superman tonight.

58. djloo27 said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:28 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

59. chipower9 said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:28 pm

Fuck yes!

60. unca_chuck said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:29 pm

What the FUCK!!!!!!!!???????? Jesus. No wonder pteradactyls are extinct.

61. xoot said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:29 pm

Kimbrel’s karate kid crane pose fucked up on that pitch. smart move by Posey.

62. snarkk said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:29 pm

I’m glad Posey didn’t prove me right by getting thrown out at home…

63. blade3colorado said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:32 pm

I’ve got the Gamecast going – I take it that was a wild pitch by Kimbrel that scored Posey????

• snarkk said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:32 pm

Yep…

64. snarkk said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:32 pm

Wow, Gyros handed a gift. Let’s see if they can take advantage.
    I’m likin’ this kid Parker playing — he should play a lot the rest of the season. See if he’s a real possibility as an OFer for platoon next season. He’s got pop…

• chipower9 said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:34 pm

Could be that power-hitting OFer you have always wanted, snarkk. Kid showed power consistently in Sacramento. Hope he can keep it up. As I said earler…he’ll get a good look in ST next year.

65. chipower9 said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:32 pm

Regardless of his weak-ass grounder, I like Brown’s composure at the plate, and he has called a good game. I think this kid has some potential, too.

66. snarkk said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:35 pm

Keereist, I didn’t know 000 got put on the DL with a concussion. Frandsen up. I knew he got hit in the head by that grounder last night, but didn’t know he was concussed. This is frickin’ ridiculous. Giants must be paying some karmic price for last year’s championship…

67. Tom Lawrence said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:37 pm

The Giants are, appropriately enough for a team in Halloween colors, like a monster in a horror flick. When you’re sure they’re dead …
    Thank God for speed players like Buster.
    Come on, boys! Hold ’em and then hit!

68. djloo27 said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:38 pm

If these little dings and bangs cause concussions, then I’ve probably had 50 of ’em…

69. chipower9 said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:40 pm

Fuck, can we just get a 1-2-3 inning against the fricking friars…

70. unca_chuck said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:41 pm

Affeldt???

71. djloo27 said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:42 pm

Greinke missing next start…

72. snarkk said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:42 pm

Wait, apparently 000 did not go on DL. Yet. Has concussion, but still on roster. Perez was moved from 15 day DL to 60 day to open up spot on the 40 for Frandsen, who actually takes over for 000. I’m imagining this crew going all the way to the WSeries now!…

• chipower9 said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:44 pm

lqtm…

• Macdog said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:45 pm

.000 had three walks last night, damn, just when he was getting hot.

73. snarkk said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:45 pm

I’m thinking back to the ’70s and ’80s.
    I can’t remember anybody even getting close to having a concussion, position players I mean, other than the catcher. And, when Brenly or other catchers got dinged, they’d never go on a DL. Is this just weird and all of a sudden guys are getting clocked in the head, or is it now just people are paying attention to head trauma?…

• chipower9 said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:47 pm

Probably a bit of both, with a good measure of bad luck thrown in for the Giants….

FUCK!

• djloo27 said, on September 23, 2015 at 11:03 pm

Roseboro sat for all of 2 games after getting his skull split open by Marichal’s bat…

74. chipower9 said, on September 23, 2015 at 10:46 pm

Hey, I have known for some time it is a long-shot to make the dance, especially with the bums winning tonight, but I am enjoying this stretch…watching this mish-mash of call-up players continue to put some hope and heat in the conversation.