Finishing STRONG

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 1, 2015

That “gamer” Mike Leake is coming out of the fog he’s been in to finally start his free agent contract drive. Here’s hoping he gets all he can get….from the Dodgers. On KNBR this morning they played some sound from Leake last night. He kept referring to *them* and *the Giants*. Seems like a hell of a team guy. Not.

We won our 83rd game last night. Vegas had our over/under at 84 to start the season. Without all these concussions we likely would have blown past that number last week.

Checking the run differential, it’s hard to miss what Toronto is doing this year. +229 is the biggest diff I’ve ever seen. I’m sure it’s not a record, run diff isn’t something I pay a huge amount of attention to. But it’s still impressive……

1. willedav said, on October 1, 2015 at 7:34 am

Snarkk, I caught couple minutes of Lurie on post game Sunday and he brought up interesting point about what you said end of thread about young SPs. The Giants are just loathe to do bring them up for spot start at any point in season, tho they will do it for position players or relievers.
    Even this year they re-upped Vogs, who wasn’t even in the picture and only added Heston in at last minute.
    Guy had a fine season as an afterthought.

2. alleykat69 said, on October 1, 2015 at 7:41 am

Did a quick search on the run diff.
    Old days 1939 Yanks murder row a mind boggling +411 run diff.
    More modern days Seattle Mariners 2001… + 300 run diff.
    Yanks 2001…+316 or so?
    Orioles1969 + 262
    Several teams old and modern have blown by Toronto’s total, but still impressive for their total this year.

• Flavor said, on October 1, 2015 at 7:52 am

nice work. yeah, as I said, didn’t think it was a record. But still dominant for the year. hey ‘kat, you’re a bay Area guy, did you catch KNBR this morning? They were playing Leake sound from the post game and he kept referring to *them* and “the Giants”. Weak sauce.

• alleykat69 said, on October 1, 2015 at 8:02 am

No I missed it Flav.
        Doesn’t sound like a dude that wants to stick around. Fine with me. He’s really only a 4-5 starter anyway in my book, though a #2 bat behind Bum if that matters much..

3. mrsprtdude said, on October 1, 2015 at 8:08 am

Saw a bleacher report yesterday Giants have ” strong mutual interest” in bringing back Timmy. I’ve seen patients with impingement of the hip. Painful but not killer. Just like a golfer with a little “twinge” that eventually alters your swing. I haven’t studied it but they say you can see in video over the last two years how he falls off to the side a bit vs driving straight ahead to avoid the pinch. Intriguing as a 5th starter candidate.

• chipower9 said, on October 1, 2015 at 10:03 am

Yep, I saw that piece, too. I say ink him to a minor league deal, see what he has in ST, and go from there. Starter…reliever…whatever, just depending he has left (if anything).

• snarkk said, on October 1, 2015 at 11:35 am

I’ve repeatedly noted over the past few seasons on the Flap that Timmy was falling off to first compared to his salad years…

4. eddacker said, on October 1, 2015 at 8:36 am

Toronto are the homer hitters this year. Yeah, Canada. 🙂
    Timmeh is so loved in SF there must be a very strong will/wish that he can have a decent #5 type season. But who doesn’t miss that cocky young pitcher that would challenge everyone?

Whether he has the heart to be a Giant or not, it was nice to see Leake perform the way he was expected to do.
    I heard the skipper say it yesterday, even our young guys have the heart of a Giant. Both in the way they battled to win in the 12th and the way they never gave up against a dominate pitcher.

I don’t want to talk until I am blue in the face but I think Kershaw has a gigantic hair up his ass. He took a lot of grief over his post season performance, then his poor start and finally becoming a #2 with Zack having an outstanding season. He may pitch like he did Tuesday for a few more games.

WOOT! wadda grrrrr-reate season. Umpires even making the conversation along with the usual clubhouse blowups, on-field outstanding plays and our own rookie ‘the duffman’.

5. zumiee said, on October 1, 2015 at 9:14 am

How a season can turn on such pivotal moments. Cespedes took a pitch off his hand last night; no broken bones, only bruised, which was great news for the Mets. His season could have ended right there, and the Mets’ chances to get past the Dodgers would have sunk greatly.

You have to wonder about teams like the Mets and the Cubs- are they ready for primetime playoffs this year? Or will they be the classic teams that are “happy just to be here,” and get beaten by more veteran, crusty teams.

• chipower9 said, on October 1, 2015 at 10:05 am

With their pitching, and the addition of Cespedes, I think the Mets could make some noise this year. Hoping like all hell it begins with a BEAT DOWN of the bumbinos.

6. unca_chuck said, on October 1, 2015 at 9:17 am

Yeah, back before 2010 is used to be about ‘meaningful games in September’ and being as relevant as long as possible. We’ve laid that shit to rest 3 times over, thank God.

As of now, and til the end of the playoffs, we are STILL the defending World Series champions, and 3 in 5 may never be duplicated. Unless we go 4 for 7!

As for the game, we start the pub crawl at 10:00, and get to see Huddy’s last game. Yay.

Would have liked to see The Omega Man live, but them’s the breaks.

7. unca_chuck said, on October 1, 2015 at 9:20 am

Leake? I think given a full season here, he’d do fine. 5 years? No. Getting anybody will cost. He isn’t high-end like Price/Greinke will command, but they have to get one guy. Besides, Greinke creeps me out. Price will get over $200 mill likely.

4/$60? It ain’t like the Giants are fucking paupers. they HAVE to spend on at least one pitcher, and Leake would seem to be a viable option that won’t cost too too much.

• chipower9 said, on October 1, 2015 at 10:07 am

I would go 4/$60 for Leake. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out. And I think they need TWO guys along those lines (the Giants WILL NOT chase the big names…book it). I say Leake and Samardzja or someone along those lines. Regardless of who it is, IMO they really need two starters.

8. unca_chuck said, on October 1, 2015 at 9:24 am

Right, Eddddd. For al the shit the Dogs are getting, they can go very deep with Kershaw/Greinke. If the Giants proved anything last year, it’s that even one guy can carry a pitching staff given a couple decent performances from the outliers.

My slight interest in the rest of the playoffs revolves around either Pittsburgh or Chicago going far.

That being said, GO CUBS!!!

9. zumiee said, on October 1, 2015 at 9:25 am

Of the three odd years following the championships, they defended the crown the best this season. I’m proud of the team. They fought through so much adversity to stay alive into the last week.
    All three of those odd years, the team’s chances were undone by injuries. Sports are physical, obviously, and injuries happen. An unreal number of them this season.

• chipower9 said, on October 1, 2015 at 10:09 am

I heard a clip yesterday afternoon between Tolbert and Ray Fatto, and Ratto looked up the numbers on injuries (one way was qualified by WAR), and the Giants did not even make the top 10. That was fucking unreal to me. I think Ray may not have had his glasses on during that research.

• Macdog said, on October 1, 2015 at 10:11 am

This year’s team will need to win 3 of 4 to match the 86 wins by the 2011 Giants, who were eliminated for the division title in game 157, just like this year. That team also hung around for the wild card another two days before that was gone. Of course, the 2013 team was eliminated by August.

10. zumiee said, on October 1, 2015 at 9:30 am

I saw the movie “Foxcatcher” last night. A very well-done depressing film. In a sense, I’m not totally sure of the point of the film. The du Pont dude was a miserable horrible human being, who had a rotten childhood, even though he was rich, and grew up to be a rotten adult. I’m all for great cinematic art, and this is film is that; but ultimately, the film is a total bummer.

• zumiee said, on October 1, 2015 at 9:32 am

I had no memory of any of the events depicted in the film, when they happened in real life. I watched probably very little of the Olympics in the 1980s.

• chipower9 said, on October 1, 2015 at 10:13 am

Thanks, I will make sure to pass on that one.

11. chipower9 said, on October 1, 2015 at 9:59 am

Toronto – 46-12 since July when they made their big trades. The new “Beast of the East?”

I heard the same clips from Leake. Not sure I get it. For whatever reason, perhaps he does not want to be here. That will all shake out, I am sure. I was big on the Giants getting him before they made that trade, and I know I am in the minority now, but I still would like to see them ink him, as long as it is under five years (three and an option would be optimum, but it will probably take four).

People talk about how he has sucked since he came here, but in more games than not, he got “Cained” hard (little to no run support). The guy has a very respectable lifetime ERA and WHIP, and those numbers come from throwing half of his starts in the bandbox in Cincy.

And if they do re-sign him and he sputters, I will own it (for wanting him to begin with a month or so ago, and for wanting the Giants to re-sign him in the offseason). Let the heckling begin…

• Irish Kevin said, on October 1, 2015 at 12:41 pm

Prior to last night over Leakes last 3-4 games he gave up 3 and 4 runs, early in the games. Last night was a meaningless game no pressure on him. I just don’t see signing him. 2 years with an option. And that is being generous. To me

• chipower9 said, on October 1, 2015 at 3:19 pm

Well, if you were a GM going out to try and ink pitchers of the likes of Leake, and you wanted to sign them to only two year deals, you would be shit outta luck…you are not going to get anyone to sign…they will get better elsewhere.

I am looking at Leake’s overall numbers (lifetime), and most of that was built with him pitching in Cincy. He is a solid 4 in a rotation, IMO.

• Carstie Clausen said, on October 1, 2015 at 3:47 pm

From reports i’ve read it appears both Bochy and the front office want him. So we’ll see.

12. Bozo said, on October 1, 2015 at 10:06 am

I’m with Flav, Leake hasn’t acted like he wanted to be in SF from the start and it seemed to me that he quit on the team from the get go. He was a rental that didn’t work out. Fuck him, let him end up back in Ohio.

I’d imagine many pitchers would like their home field to be Pac Bell and have Bochy as their Manager, spend the money on one of those guys.

• chipower9 said, on October 1, 2015 at 10:23 am

Well, just based on a few clips like have been shared, I think it is totally premature to think that he doesn’t want to explore his options here.

13. Paul Sorensen said, on October 1, 2015 at 10:14 am

Hard to say what was up with Leake’s short stint. Obviously, he never really felt like he was part of something if he’s talking about the team in the 3rd person (3rd team?) plural, but that could be because of his injury (which we really have no reason to believe was exaggerated) that hindered him from contributing in any meaningful way right from the start. I’m guessing if the G’s were rolling into the playoffs, he might be talking about “we” a bit more. The team absolutely needs at least 1 top starter, and we all know they ain’t gettin’ THE top starters who will command top dollar (Greinke, Price). Leake, or perhaps adding Zimmerman, would be more SF’s MO. Comcast story today indicates both the team and Leake are open to him staying; Bochy has known the guy a long time, apparently, and we all know how loyal he is to guys like that. I’d be fine with Leake as long as the team doesn’t overpay, but I’m actually not too worried about them over-paying….

• chipower9 said, on October 1, 2015 at 10:18 am

Awesome post, Paul. I am with ya 100%.

14. chipower9 said, on October 1, 2015 at 10:17 am

Zumiee mentioned the depressing flick he saw last night. On the other end of the spectrum, my better half and I saw Emmylou Harris and Rodney Crowell at the Veterans’ Memorial Auditorium in Grass Valley last night. Great little venue and a smoking hot show. The best I have ever seen of Emmylou. She is still my crush, as she was when I first saw/heard her while in high school in the 70s. Her band was superb…each musician in her band is truly the “Crème de la Crème.” Getting home a bit past 1 and then getting up at 5:30 has translated into a bit of a “foggy day” and my sorry ass isn’t even in the City! 😉

• Paul Sorensen said, on October 1, 2015 at 10:31 am

Ah, Emmylou, Queen of the Silverdollar…. 🙂

• chipower9 said, on October 1, 2015 at 10:59 am

Ah yes…she did a number of renditions of this with the Hot Band. And while that was one “Shit Hot Band,” her band last night was as good, if not better, than any I have seen her perform with before.

• zumiee said, on October 1, 2015 at 11:50 am

Very cool!!! I saw them earlier in the year and it was a fantastic show.

15. unca_chuck said, on October 1, 2015 at 10:20 am

Yeah Chuck I’m cool with the. Signing Leake if he is t too costly.

F he don’t want oour money, fuck him.

• chipower9 said, on October 1, 2015 at 11:01 am

I agree…if it does become very apparent that he has no desire to be here, then yes, fuck him and go find someone who wants to be a part of winning FOUR in SEVEN!

16. unca_chuck said, on October 1, 2015 at 10:21 am

Fu k I hate typing on my phone

• Paul Sorensen said, on October 1, 2015 at 10:31 am

And those are words you couldn’t have imagined saying a handful of years ago….

• zumiee said, on October 1, 2015 at 11:56 am

A few weeks ago, in a store, I saw a young person typing at blazing speed on their phone, using both thumbs. It just seemed like a bizarre generational gap. Think of the HOURS that person has spent typing on their phone to get that fast. Who would even want to spend that much time doing it? I guess young people, who have more free time.
        The phones are a very useful tool, but the behavior you see around looks so obsessive/compulsive sometimes.

• chipower9 said, on October 1, 2015 at 3:21 pm

I agree. Prime example was last night at the Emmylou show, I am standing in line for the head, and the guy in front of me is obsessively typing into his phone. I don’t get it a lot of the times. First time my phone came out was to snap a couple of pictures at the end of the concert. Yeah, I didn’t even think to check on the Giants game…

17. zumiee said, on October 1, 2015 at 12:08 pm

Affeldt will be retiring. Not a big surprise.

• chipower9 said, on October 1, 2015 at 1:15 pm

I hear they will present him with a set of gold/diamond studded Shih Tzu knives, and a gold plated knee brace.

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 1, 2015 at 8:46 pm

….and a foam rubber (walls, ceilings, floor) kids’ playroom and special safety dock

• djloo27 said, on October 1, 2015 at 9:13 pm

I think you mean Ginsu knives, Chi.
        At least I hope you do…

18. alleykat69 said, on October 1, 2015 at 12:37 pm

Zumie , Crazy times indeed!
    Shit I was stoked to crank out 40 words a minute on a freakin typewriter in HS..Lol

19. chipower9 said, on October 1, 2015 at 12:37 pm

John (Clown) – I see where there is a chance that Hurricane Joaquin may hit North Carolina, and if not, there could be big time rain, swells, etc. Anyway…stay safe my friend.

• Bozo said, on October 1, 2015 at 8:17 pm

Thanks Chi.

20. Paul Sorensen said, on October 1, 2015 at 12:42 pm

Yeah, Chi, best wishes to you, Bozo, looks like it could be a whopper….

21. chipower9 said, on October 1, 2015 at 1:28 pm

Just tuned into the game (via Internet feed), and while Hudson is being pulled, it sounds like there is a huge love fest going on. I appreciate what Hudson provided in his short time here, but it is certainly time for him to move on.

22. pawliekokonuts said, on October 1, 2015 at 7:14 pm

I was wondering what happened to Joaquin (Arias). Now I know. He’s a hurricane.

• alleykat69 said, on October 1, 2015 at 7:27 pm

Good one Pawlie😀
      And I guess since their’s never any Hurricane’s in Arizona( unless the 49ers are playing the Cardinals)I can’t call it Hurricane Joaquin (Phoenix)

23. Flavor said, on October 1, 2015 at 7:24 pm

Bozo, you gonna dodge Joaquin?

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 1, 2015 at 7:50 pm

Stay safe, John. Macdog, too.

• Macdog said, on October 1, 2015 at 9:14 pm

Thanks Pawlie, like John said, hopefully it’s heading out to sea and all we get is a lot of rain.

24. Bozo said, on October 1, 2015 at 8:15 pm

I gotta love it, Flappers are asking about the Hurricane before our family has checked in. Youse guys are great.

We’ve been getting hit with over a weeks worth of coastal storms. The beaches have been pounded and in my local area, our canals have already crested. We are what they say, saturated.

Still, the Hurricane is going to follow all this shit up. the latest models I’ve seen, have the storm turning out to sea, but with us getting major flooding (the model is better than the one I saw yesterday, that one’s landfall was in my front yard). The last two days we’ve been prepping for it and canceling a trip we were going to take to meet up with some friends in VA. Tonight a neighbor brought by 40 lbs of shrimps, so besides everything else, hopefully we can get em cleaned and froze before we lose power. I know, I know, TMI.

Flavor – dodge Joaquin? Everyone knows if you just bunt Joaquin Andujar 4 times in a row he’ll just blow a fuse (somewhere over the Atlantic I hope), so I’m laying one down the first base line. Right now the plan is just to ride it out. I’ll know more tomorrow. Thanks all, I wish I could send y’all some of our water.

• alleykat69 said, on October 1, 2015 at 8:35 pm

Yeah we could use some major dumps Bozo, instead of minor sprinkles.
      But seriously Clown,and MacDoggy and other Flappers back east, be safe for all of you and your families!

• willedav said, on October 2, 2015 at 7:20 am

Hang in there man. Hope everyone is OK.