Timmy

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 2, 2015

The airwaves have been dominated the last 24 hours with Affeldt sound saying goodbye. Both Bay Area teams bent over backwards to say goodbye to Huddy and Zito. Saying goodbye is important.

So why aren’t we getting to say goodbye to Timmy? He’s in town. He’s in uni. Is it just because there’s a chance we re-sign him?

I’ve got both thumbs pointed down on signing Timmy. Enough already. Healed hip or not.

I just want to see him wave goodbye. Is that so wrong?

1. eddacker said, on October 2, 2015 at 8:09 am

There is no end for the love SF has for “the Freak”. Whether it is Wavy Gravy or Carol Doda give San Francisco one thing to love about their personality stars that can be thought of as home grown and they are ours for life.
    Saw a woman in the Subway parking lot with a Giants shirt and we talked. I mentioned Lincecum and a warm smile of love lit up her Giant’s fan face. Hey, an operation was going to restore the horse and many other sports stars, why not Tim? Hope (and love) is never ending.
    Go Gigantes! and shouting out love for our “Freak”.

2. sandog said, on October 2, 2015 at 8:26 am

I would like a Timmy goodbye as well. I thought he should retire last off season and I really think he should retire this off season. I still think he is one of the most iconic SF Giants of all time and I’d be ok with an incentive laden deal for next year (mainly out of appreciation for all he has done), but I really don’t think he has anything left.

What would you set as an over/under for the number of games Timmy wins for the rest of his career?

• Flavor said, on October 2, 2015 at 8:39 am

that’s a tough prop bet totally contingent on this new hip he’s sporting.

• chipower9 said, on October 2, 2015 at 9:03 am

I think it way too premature to even consider such a thing (over/under on Timmy for wins rest of the way). Hell, he may not even be healed at this point, and until that happens, and the coaches get a look, there is no way to know.

3. Paul Sorensen said, on October 2, 2015 at 8:44 am

Obviously a) Timmy is not (yet) retiring, and b) the Giants’ braintrust is in fact seriously considering bringing him back, so… no goodbyes. Or maybe just The (Very) Long Goodbye. We all love him, he was so instrumental in Giants Rising, so of course there is always some hope that a real feel good story could yet unfold. I’d love to see that, truly. But the only way I’d want him back is, as others have said, an extremely incentive laden contract (like, 90% of it) for just 1 year, and Timmy pencilled in as the 6th starter. See what he’s got in the Spring, very short leash. And the 5 starters in front of him must include a new front-line starter and do NOT include Voggie. THAT’s the guy we should definitely be saying goodbye to at this point. He was a good Giant. Might not have won it all in 2012 without his post-season performance. We’ll certainly miss Nicole, anyway…..

• Carstie Clausen said, on October 2, 2015 at 9:24 am

Paul: Had pretty much the same take vs #55. A feel-good, incentives laden one-year contract and no guarantee of being part of the rotation from the get-go. If his hip works out he could make a good longman, as it appears Petit may be on the move.

4. willedav said, on October 2, 2015 at 8:49 am

Ws for the SPs this year not named Bum:
    Heston 12 in 30 starts
    Vogs 9 in 22
    Hudson 8 in 22
    Peavy 7 in 18
    TL 7 in 15
    Cain 2 in 10
    Leake 2 in 9

I have a feeling 4 of above (3 plus Bum) are coming back–room for one more decent SP, maybe a kid to take someone’s place. Hope those W columns a year from now look a lot different.

• chipower9 said, on October 2, 2015 at 9:06 am

Cain is under contract, but IMO he is a wildcard on making the rotation. With that unknown, I think they need to go out and get two SPs. Time will tell, as it always does…

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 2, 2015 at 10:22 am

Time always does “tell,” but we rarely like what it tells or tolls. #bigshotbullshitphilosopher

5. chipower9 said, on October 2, 2015 at 9:00 am

Flavor said: “I just want to see him wave goodbye. Is that so wrong?” IMO, there is no wrong or right in regards to our (each individual Flapper) thoughts on Timmy. And my take on it is NOT based on sentimentality. If it does appear that the surgery was successful, I say sign Timmy to a minor league contract, and see what the fuck he has during ST. If the powers that be (and they know a fuck of a lot more about baseball than me) think he can contribute (bullpen, spot starter…what the fuck ever), then I say make it so.

6. djloo27 said, on October 2, 2015 at 9:26 am

Why would a guy that’s made $100 million in his career sign a minor league contract?
    Does it benefit him in any way?

7. djloo27 said, on October 2, 2015 at 9:39 am

But why? What does it do for him?

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 2, 2015 at 10:31 am

Loo, life is short. Yeah, regarding your comment the other day. We gotta do the 7 train next year. MUST. With Macdog. And Buzzsaw. Ok. Maybe not Buzzsaw.

• chipower9 said, on October 2, 2015 at 11:21 am

I am hoping to make it out for a series next year (either vs Mets, or later in the year when they play the YankMees and RedSux). Would be fun to meet up with a bunch of you right coast knuckleheads…

• djloo27 said, on October 2, 2015 at 12:17 pm

That’s when you’ll learn the true meaning of “be careful what you wish for”
        That MacDog character is bad news…

• chipower9 said, on October 2, 2015 at 12:45 pm

Yeah, he is probably right there with Pawlie in the “bad news” department. 😉

8. pawliekokonuts said, on October 2, 2015 at 10:21 am

I see Timmy possibly being the secret weapon he’s been before. #wishfulthinking Anyway, the Bay Area ain’t ready to bid this boy goodbye. Yet.

9. Paul Sorensen said, on October 2, 2015 at 11:16 am

It’ll probably all depend on how TL’s off-season in AZ goes. If that hip (or anything else that could be screwed up) isn’t *fixed*, he could very well just call it quits before Spring even arrives. Have a nice “Timmy Day” at the ballyard to open the season. We often see this: an aging player who doesn’t know when to call it quits. Except with him, he ain’t all that old, it’s just physical stuff that’s in his way. He clearly does not want to hang ’em up yet, and if he’s finally truly healthy, why should he? Just might not be in SF.

10. zumiee said, on October 2, 2015 at 11:55 am

It’s tough to walk away from playing organized ball. Timmy’s been playing baseball every Spring and Summer since he was a kid.
    Even for someone like me (and I’m sure others), I remember it being a little traumatic for me when my basketball “career” was over. I had been playing organized ball since I was a kid, and got all the way to playing one year of junior college, and got cut the next season. That first Fall without a team to play for was rough. The weather changed, and everything inside me said that I was supposed to be on a team. It was a weird feeling. I had to change my relationship with the sport. I can imagine how tough it is for PRO guys to let it go. Or minor leaguers that aren’t going to ever stick in the big leagues. Or football players cut from the pro camp, or basketball players cut from the pro camp. Where to go? Some play in Canada or Europe or wherever. Keep the dream alive. But also just to keep playing, to have a team when the season rolls around on the calendar.
    I played one season of “rec league,” but found it pretty unsatisfying, and even dangerous, with the rough style of play and little officiating.

11. alleykat69 said, on October 2, 2015 at 12:10 pm

Giants should know in ST if Timmy has anything left in the tank with his bionic hip.
    If not bring him out 4/20 for his farewell tribute. They could have a reffer bobble head day, and play “Hip to be Square” or some Bob Marley and maybe some Cheech& Chong “HIGH” lights on the Jumbo Tron

• chipower9 said, on October 2, 2015 at 12:48 pm

Dude! Uh…I had a thought, but I forgot what it was…oh wow…check out that hot chick over there…she is banging hot bro…now what was that about 4/20???

Great idea, Kat…for some odd reason, I don’t think the Giants would “roll” that one out. Maybe if they had one of the papers out of a Big Bamboo album??? 😉

• Paul Sorensen said, on October 2, 2015 at 2:38 pm

In June of ’74, I attended a Pink Floyd concert, part of the Dark Side of the Moon tour that year, at the outdoor Roosevelt Stadium in Jersey City, and there were joints rolled in newspaper pages being passed around the stadium. Um.. maybe it was ’75. Coulda been ’73. Anyway, where was I? Right. A farewell to Tim at China Basin. I like it…

• zumiee said, on October 2, 2015 at 3:17 pm

That’s a classic example of why the “War on Drugs” has always been a joke. There’s no police invasion of the concert venues; but meanwhile some guy without a shirt on, on the poor side of town, is being pulled out of a broken-down house by a police squadron drug patrol.

12. chipower9 said, on October 2, 2015 at 3:20 pm

And here is the line-up for your San Francisco Flying Rivercats…

1. Angel Pagan (S) CF
    2. Kelby Tomlinson (R) 2B
    3. Matt Duffy (R) 3B
    4. Buster Posey (R) 1B
    5. Brandon Crawford (L) SS
    6. Jarrett Parker (L) RF
    7. Mac Williamson (R) LF
    8. Trevor Brown (R) C
    9. Chris Heston (R) P

13. djloo27 said, on October 2, 2015 at 3:51 pm

Tonight they announce the Willie Mac Award winner. I had assumed it was between Bum, Duffy, Crawford and Posey, but the Chron has Hudson (ugh) and Affeldt in the mix. I’m predicting co-winners this year. One of them will be Duffy.

Anybody wanna play along?

14. Flavor said, on October 2, 2015 at 5:16 pm

It’s weird, I really don’t have any feeling at all about who’s going to win. I’d probably go with Posey just because he’s the unquestioned leader and his teammates probably respect him mightily…….

15. giants54 said, on October 2, 2015 at 5:31 pm

Posey or Bum could win it every other year leading by example.

Duffer is a rook. Theoretically, no one looks to a rook for leadership and inspiration…They are supposed to keep their head down and their mouth shut. 😉

Crawford seems most likely. Affeldt no chance. Hudson…codger is obviously beloved. But enough already.

16. Flavor said, on October 2, 2015 at 5:37 pm

Unfortunately, I think Huddy could absolutely win it. Those dudes freaking love him and he’s been in the dugout all year. In fact, that’s who I think wins it, I take back my Posey pick. They’re gonna want to send him out with this award. And while I don’t agree with it if he wins I will absolutely defer to the guys voting. They’re are the ones who are there day in and day out. They know his impact on them collectively.

• giants54 said, on October 2, 2015 at 6:27 pm

Yeah, I wouldn’t at all be surprised if Hudson won. I say give it to Blanco. WTh, Mike Felder and Marvin Bernard won it.

17. willedav said, on October 2, 2015 at 6:47 pm

I’d say Crawford, no nonsense, just plays GG SS and leads team in HRs.

Btw, I’d feel a lot better if Lincecum never pitches again, for anyone, let alone Giants.
    His health should be primary focus, and pitching seems like the wrong thing to be doing.
    I’d also recommend he stay away from Affeldt.

• Flavor said, on October 2, 2015 at 8:23 pm

lol. At least no BBQ’s with Affeldt or playground rough house tussles…..

18. djloo27 said, on October 2, 2015 at 7:15 pm

MACDUFF!!!

19. Carstie Clausen said, on October 2, 2015 at 8:03 pm

Parker is looking more and more like the real deal. No, he’s not SF’s answer to Nolan Arenado, but that RBI double hints that we’re not just looking at a power guy. He would hafta totally tank in S.T., to not make the 25-man. If he comes close to aceing Arizona come March, we might look at the prospect of him starting in the O.F. Somewhere along the line he has learned to hit and if he keeps it up he would be the first solid homegrown outfielder in decades.

20. Irish Kevin said, on October 2, 2015 at 8:05 pm

Well my guess is the sign Timmy to a one year. Because it would be a shitty ending for him not to be abl to walk off the mound the way Hudson and Zito did to cheers from the fans. Timmy won two Cy’s!! Let him go with the cheers from the fans he deserves that much.

21. Flavor said, on October 2, 2015 at 8:16 pm

first of all, can’t BELIEVE Loo nailed the Duffy pick. No rookie ever voted WM Award Winner? Even on a short list, that’s a huge long shot. Well done my man.
    Secondly, Hesto No More Presto. Shut him down too and let’s not try to pull too many rabbits out of that hat next year. There’s something just not right with him and I don’t think it’s injury or fatigue related. I still have no idea how he threw a no hitter on the road this year…..

22. Flavor said, on October 2, 2015 at 8:19 pm

Also, you dudes who think Timmy is coming back on a one year deal (or a minor league deal): that isn’t happening. His Dr is splewing cum all over himself for the knife job he did. He says Timmy is good to go, brand new hip. You know how many teams will be willing to throw multiple years at this dude based off this dr’s assessment of Timmy’s health? Multiple. He’ll get 2 years/16 mil from someone. Or more. Guaranteed.

• eddacker said, on October 2, 2015 at 8:41 pm

good insight, and that he can come back “good to go” in no way means he will be the pitcher he was. But as out of it as he was this year he limped through some wins. So . . .?

• sandog said, on October 2, 2015 at 8:58 pm

Can’t believe nobody played along with me on Timmy wins rest of his career over /under. I would set the line at 17 and I already worry that is too high.
        Loo…nice call on Duffy and I get the feeling you are with me on the “Timmy should retire” bandwagon.

• djloo27 said, on October 2, 2015 at 9:18 pm

I figured Seattle was the logical place for Timmy. New league, big ballpark, and he might draw some people in his hometown…

23. unca_chuck said, on October 2, 2015 at 9:40 pm

12 sounds about right, Dog. I figure 2 years left if wonder surgeon really did wonders. Even then, I don’t think he’ll last 2 full years.

24. willedav said, on October 2, 2015 at 10:16 pm

mmm, that was interesting footnote in meaningless game.
    Baggs and Pavs both tweeted (cbs site) that Bochy putting Casilla in to finish puts him 1 “finish” away from automatically reaching $6.5 mil vesting option for next year.

25. willedav said, on October 2, 2015 at 10:20 pm

Do they have 4/20 in Washington? Isn’t it legal there too?

Gotta admit, my fav commercial these days is the ditzy beauty pageant babe…”In the America…of the U.S.”

26. xoot said, on October 2, 2015 at 11:10 pm

I was at the game tonight, early. Pretty good turnout for the Willie Mac Award ceremony, maybe 50% of the stands full. And Willie’s proud announcement of Duffy’s name sparked a genuine roar of approval. A bit of surprise and a lot of respect fueled that roar. We stood cheering for a long time.

27. Flavor said, on October 3, 2015 at 6:57 am

I think Timmy wins 0 more games in his career……

28. […] said, on October 2, 2015 at 11:10 pm […]