Who’s Got This?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 5, 2015

We could fire off our predictions for the post season but I also thought this was an interesting post last night from Snarkk:

narkk said, on October 4, 2015 at 9:37 pm (Edit)

Shocking. Pat Murphy will not return to manage the Pads.
There will be a good handful of manager spots open this off season. If Wotus doesn’t get one of those this year, it seems more unlikely he ever will. How much longer is Bochy going to manage? Who is on the short list to take over from him? Wotus? Decker? Rags wouldn’t get it, would he?…

_________________________

I would guess that Wotus would get the job but that worries me since he’s been passed over so many times. I guess that’s not a major concern since GM’s make so many bad managerial hires. Still, I’ve listened to him for years on KNBR and nothing about him stands out. Marty Lurie calls him *the professor* on his radio show but he’s never taught me anything I didn’t already know……

Here are the current odds to win the WS (with my adjusted line in parenthesis).

Toronto 3-1 (2-1)

Royals 5-1 (12-1)

Cards 5-1 (9-1)

Shit Fucks 6-1 (2-1)

Mets 6-1 (10-1)

Cubs 12-1 (15-1)

Pirates 12-1 (8-1)

Rangers 12-1 (6-1)

Yanks 14-1 (20-1)

Astros 16-1 (20-1)

I think Toronto is too loaded offensively to not get past the boring teams that made the AL playoffs. And the bottom line is that the Dodgers have the 2 most dominant pitchers in the league. Arizona won a WS with that method. Odds will obviously change after the WC stuff gets sorted out. Pretty hard to predict any of them would win since the game they play to *get in* is a coin flip…….

1. willedav said, on October 5, 2015 at 8:21 am

Being a mgr vs. being anything else like bench coach is apples and oranges.
    You have different relationship with everyone, players coaches mgmt. as someone who makes all the decisions and writes out the LU every day. Plus, no one on media asks Wotus anything, ever. Some are just better suited to being the assistant, which is not a diss at all.
    Couple of recent mgrs. of the year include Kirk Gibson and Matt Williams…mostly because of their players.

Maddon will likely win for the NL, but I don’t like the guy (or his team for that matter). Batting the SP 8th, beanball war nonsense, etc. Another guy with a really good team (who left Tampa on funky terms to get this job)—see how he handles NL playoffs.

Honestly I probably won’t watch any of it and really don’t care who wins, even LA. Would actually be kind of funny to see them win one at last and have Greinke still opt out and go somewhere else.

• willedav said, on October 5, 2015 at 8:28 am

DTT of course said to be gonzo if LA continues recent pattern of Heimlich maneuvers in playoffs.
      Wonder if same would be true for Matheny whom I’d assume to be under lot of pressure as well?

I hope Bochy and staff stick around as long as possible; still think he is class of the league and regularly out manages others. Made best of what he had this year.

• djloo27 said, on October 5, 2015 at 9:21 am

Bochy is signed through 2019…

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 5, 2015 at 9:22 am

I do agree, tho’ DTT improved. I dare say he outmanaged Our Guy in that loss to the Dodgers in extras; seems like ages ago. Of course DTT had more ponies.

2. Paul Sorensen said, on October 5, 2015 at 8:34 am

I am mentally preparing myself for LA to win it all. Or, actually, at least to get to the Series, which would be fine with me, as long as Toronto or KC blow them out…. 🙂 I’m with you, Pawlie, not all that into it, although I’m sure I’ll watch the Cubs/Bucs. That might be about it…

3. Flavor said, on October 5, 2015 at 8:46 am

James Wagner ‏@JamesWagnerWP 60s60 seconds ago
    Nats make it official: Matt Williams and the entire coaching staff dismissed. Nats starting completely anew.

• zumiee said, on October 5, 2015 at 9:20 am

The Williams firing is not a big surprise. The team under-achieved their talent level. And the season ended with the embarrassing choke incident in the dugout, made all the worse by Williams letting Papelbon pitch the next inning, and then Williams lamely tried to justify that after the game by saying he didn’t know the seriousness of the incident that happened in the dugout. What a mess.
      Anybody out there want to be Harper’s and Papelbon’s manager?

4. willedav said, on October 5, 2015 at 8:51 am

Another meaningless stat: Matt Kemp drove in 100 meaningless runs for the Pads, who finished 74-88, 18 games out. LA freed up OF space for Pederson and Ethier and won without either Kemp or Puig, or Hanley or Gordon, who won a meaningless batting title on final day going 3 for 4 in a loss to Phils.

5. pawliekokonuts said, on October 5, 2015 at 9:19 am

Is it Thanksgiving yet?

6. Paul Sorensen said, on October 5, 2015 at 9:21 am

Matt Williams: Manager of the Year one year, unemployed the next. How many times has that happened? Baseball is a fickle game for those who are in over their heads….

• djloo27 said, on October 5, 2015 at 9:29 am

Girardi?

7. djloo27 said, on October 5, 2015 at 9:34 am

Matt Williams is so vanilla he should manage a Carvel…

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 5, 2015 at 7:00 pm

boom!

8. pawliekokonuts said, on October 5, 2015 at 9:37 am

Giants’ players had 3 of 8 top-selling MLB jerseys, for what it’s worth (nothing much to me): 2. Bumgarner 3. Posey 7. Pence. Kris Bryant at 1. No Yankees. No Mets.

Top 20 best selling MLB jersey list through the regular season pic.twitter.com/uDIbQPHD0o

• djloo27 said, on October 5, 2015 at 10:12 am

Would be interesting to see the top-selling jerseys from 50 years ago today had they been available.

9. Flavor said, on October 5, 2015 at 10:04 am

Lowell Cohn ‏@LowellCohn 4m4 minutes ago
    Supreme Court declined to hear A’s case. Time to forget about San Jose.

10. Bozo said, on October 5, 2015 at 10:33 am

San Diego tossed out Bochy like he was a used tissue. We snagged him and won three championships, while the Pads are left looking for their third manager. You just gotta love it.

11. unca_chuck said, on October 5, 2015 at 10:38 am

I think Steve Decker is all but engraved in stone as the next manager of he chooses to st I around this org that is.

12. ewisco said, on October 5, 2015 at 11:36 am

someone said earlier I think that wotus comes off as very blah. He actually led a training sessions for little league coaches in walnut creek and I found him quite engaging. I can’t imagine that bochy lit up the interview room, so maybe there’s more to the managing gig than “intensity” or whatever.

• Flavor said, on October 5, 2015 at 11:56 am

great point. In fact, when Bochy was hired I wrote a letter to the editor at the Chron that got published. It said something like, “Bruce Bochy was hired? zzzzzzzzzz…” or something close to that. Too funny.

13. Flavor said, on October 5, 2015 at 11:58 am

the internet is so rad. I just googled that letter I wrote and here it is at the bottom of the page.

14. unca_chuck said, on October 5, 2015 at 2:38 pm

Shit, when did you start blogging on the Splash, Flav? I can’t remember myself, but it must have been somewhere about 2008.

• Flavor said, on October 5, 2015 at 3:52 pm

i think it was 2007. 2 games into the season.

15. zumiee said, on October 5, 2015 at 3:10 pm

I think it’s still an open question whether the Dodgers are better than last season. The front office took a 94-win team, increased the payroll to $300 million, and won 92 games this season. They still don’t have a true lead-off hitter. Gordon would have been a nice fit for that. Although, Kendrick brought some mental toughness and clutchiness that the team needed. But he’s been kind of dinged up lately.
    I’m curious to see what the Dodger playoff roster is. Looks like Van Slyke could get left off the roster; he’s dinged up. What about Puig? He hasn’t played major league ball in months, but he’s available now.

16. zumiee said, on October 5, 2015 at 3:17 pm

The Dodgers haven’t announced their playoff roster yet, but here’s Eric Stephen’s guess. There’s good depth in the position players, making for a good bench; but that bullpen still doesn’t look all that great, even after all the money spent. The closer, yes; but the other guys have been up and down.

Starting pitchers (4): Clayton Kershaw, Zack Greinke, Brett Anderson, Alex Wood

Relief pitchers (7): Kenley Jansen, Chris Hatcher, J.P. Howell, Luis Avilan, Juan Nicasio, Pedro Baez, Yimi Garcia

Catchers (2): Yasmani Grandal, A.J. Ellis

Infielders (6): Adrian Gonzalez, Howie Kendrick, Corey Seager, Justin Turner, Chase Utley, Jimmy Rollins

Outfielders (6): Carl Crawford, Kike Hernandez, Andre Ethier, Joc Pederson, Justin Ruggiano, Scott Van Slyke

• zumiee said, on October 5, 2015 at 3:20 pm

Utley and Rollins are pinching themselves, wondering if they’re dreaming. Those two didn’t play all that well this season, but get a chance to go back to the playoffs. Although, it’s an open question how much either will get to play.

• zumiee said, on October 5, 2015 at 3:21 pm

Stephen is guessing: no Puig.

17. zumiee said, on October 5, 2015 at 3:24 pm

Nowadays, you can’t win it all without a lights-out bullpen in the playoffs. I think maybe in the past it could be done, but I don’t think it can be done anymore. Even Greinke and Kershaw are usually leaving after 7 innings, and Anderson and Wood are likely gone after 6.
    The Dodger bullpen might catch lightning in a bottle for the playoffs, that’s always possible. But the playoff world, as we all know, is INTENSE. Things get magnified. Packed stadiums, millions watching on TV. Every pitch crucial. It’s another world.

18. zumiee said, on October 5, 2015 at 3:27 pm

Yadier will have to wear a splint on his throwing hand’s thumb if he wants to play? How would THAT work? The Cardinals are just dreaming on that one. That ain’t gonna work.

19. Flavor said, on October 5, 2015 at 3:53 pm

I’d like to point out that “Yawn of a New Era” was a fucking money headline by me……..

20. eddacker said, on October 5, 2015 at 5:53 pm

I saw a Giants fan inline at Panda Express Sunday night and I said. Hello. Turned out he had no to the final game and afterwards he hung out at the players entrance. Got Matt Cain to autograph a baseball. While waiting Kontos came out, got in his truck, and promptly backed into a tree.
    Love It when I meet a full on g-men fan.

• Flavor said, on October 5, 2015 at 6:02 pm

Ha-ha. Post game beers.

21. xoot said, on October 5, 2015 at 6:54 pm

On the drive home today I heard KNBR-Tolbert interviewing Tomsula about the latest debacle. I have never heard a coach sound so defeated. In response to some questions, he was nearly speechless.

• Flavor said, on October 5, 2015 at 7:11 pm

Did he end every sentence with “ok?” I fucking hate people that talk like that. Simpletons. The Bay Area should be the last place he should have gotten this gig. People are too smart for him here. Go ahead and coach in Eastern Tennessee or some shit like that where they think global warming isn’t real and dinosaurs roamed the earth 5,000 years ago……….

22. gianthead said, on October 5, 2015 at 7:16 pm

Will the F head Fodgers get the timely hits the 2001 Douchebacks and our three WS teams managed to pull off. I still don’t think they will but they got a huge break that the Mets muddled up home field. I have a feeling whomever comes out of the Pirates – Mets game is going to win the NL…

I think the Stros are beating the Yanks and will prove to be the new Royals and will take them out next. Stros vs. Blue Jays and I will be rooting Stros but Blue Jays will be the fav…I still have Pirates vs. Astros…

• Flavor said, on October 5, 2015 at 7:19 pm

I don’t think they’re going to do it either. But if I laid odds I decided the Dodgers are the front runners in the NL. They don’t have to play a WC game and they have the 2 best starting pitches. That goes a long way. Their hitting could easily be their undoing. As could their pitching, we know what Kershaw has done in the playoffs. I really wanted to make KC the favorite due to their recent success last year and that absolutely matters. But I just don’t think they have the starting pitching to get it done……..

23. Flavor said, on October 5, 2015 at 7:17 pm

this CC Sabathia thing, wow. There’s something else going on here. He couldn’t have waited a couple of weeks?

• djloo27 said, on October 5, 2015 at 7:48 pm

I agree. Something funny going on. What’s the big deal about being a drunk for a few more weeks (or days)?
      Of course, you’re not allowed to say shit like that in today’s stupid fuckin’ PC world, so every teammate and media person has to support him…

• Flavor said, on October 5, 2015 at 8:09 pm

A-Fraud going “this one is for CC” was the dumbest, lamest most predictable thing a joke like him could say……

• djloo27 said, on October 5, 2015 at 8:14 pm

Maybe he meant Canadian Club…