The Pirates Goose Egged Again

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 8, 2015

Pirates fans have got to be getting a little tired of this. They show up positively bursting and for the second year in a row, they get utterly shut down.

I love the 1 game wild card and for those who think it’s unfair, don’t forget the Giants won 103 games in ’93 and never had the opportunity that the Pirates have had the last 2 years…..

Let’s see if the Blue Jays can keep their sphincter’s loose and their bats hot.

Yikes, I can’t believe I just wrote that.

1. Lurker John said, on October 8, 2015 at 7:55 am

Unbelievable bad fortune for the Bucs, getting Bum and Arrieta back-to-back. 18 innings, zero runs. Doh!
    It’s hard for me to root against a team that hasn’t won a World Series in 107 years, but I like this Pirates team as well. My first Little League team was the Pirates and I used to be a big Honus Wagner fan. But Arrieta is a huge stud. He was utterly dominant last night and I’m afraid Garrett Cole just isn’t the big game pitcher people make him out to be. The Cubs deserve to move on and the Pirates don’t.

This is the closest Cy Young race I can remember with 4 legitimate contenders. As great as Grienke was this season, how does Arrieta not win it? Or Kershaw? Or Bum??

2. zumiee said, on October 8, 2015 at 7:56 am

Sad trombone music for Pirates fan.

3. Lurker John said, on October 8, 2015 at 7:57 am

Good point about the ’93 Giants, Flav. Outside of the 2002 WS, I don’t think I’ve ever been so disappointed after a season ended.

• zumiee said, on October 8, 2015 at 8:13 am

’93 season heartbreak plus ’94 strike put me off baseball for a few years. I fully came back with the building of the new ballpark.

4. alleykat69 said, on October 8, 2015 at 8:28 am

Yeah that 93 season still bugs me.
    Giants were cruising along with a great LU, 2, 20 game winners, and then the freakin Braves picked up “The Crimedog”( unbelievable stats in the second half)and he just went off and put the team on his back, and we end up throwing Freakin Soloman Torres in a must win game game to force a 1 game winner takes all, Soloman Torres? Shit with 2…20 game winners Swift&Burkett , you have to set up that last game with 1 of them..

• zumiee said, on October 8, 2015 at 9:15 am

Swift and Burkett had just pitched in the games right before that. Dusty didn’t have any good options. It was a terrible situation.

• chipower9 said, on October 8, 2015 at 9:57 am

This is true…that year SUCKED!

5. zumiee said, on October 8, 2015 at 9:25 am

The epitome of frustration during that ’93 division battle was when, one day, the Giants won a game and LOST a 1/2 game in the standings because the Braves won a double-header that day!

6. zumiee said, on October 8, 2015 at 9:29 am

During these past 28 years, Dodger fans learned what baseball suffering is like. The Dodger fans had had it easy, really, when the team first moved from Brooklyn, but these past 28 years have been a nice lesson for Dodger fans on how tough the sport can be on fans.

7. chipower9 said, on October 8, 2015 at 9:55 am

CUBS WIN! CUBS WIN! Pass me another Budweiser, Steve (said in my best Harry Caray voice)!

8. djloo27 said, on October 8, 2015 at 11:33 am

No one seems to lament the ’82 season the way I do. The Morgan homer did next to nothing to mitigate my misery.

• Macdog said, on October 8, 2015 at 11:58 am

Given how hard it was to follow the team on a daily basis from the east, my memories of that season are a bit cloudy. I remember a sort of happy-to-be-there feeling that the Giants were surprisingly still in the hunt going into the final weekend of the season, a first in my 10 years of rooting for the team. Those first two Dodgers games were bummers for sure, but it was pretty damn satisfying to knock them out of it on the final day, especially since they were the (bogus) defending champs.

• xoot said, on October 8, 2015 at 1:06 pm

I attended the final Saturday game (along with about 65,000 other people). But I have to admit my gf and I listened to the radio broadcast of Sunday’s game and then danced around the apartment after the Giants won.

• Lurker John said, on October 8, 2015 at 5:33 pm

I was stationed in Germany at the time, and nothing but the Stars and Stripes to follow the team with. Box scores with the occasional blurb thrown in. I was happy to have that. These days it’d be a breeze to follow your team from pretty much anywhere.

9. Bozo said, on October 8, 2015 at 12:03 pm

Forget baseball, Gatorade cooler boxing, now that’s a sport.

• Irish Kevin said, on October 8, 2015 at 12:16 pm

Loved the girlish head band too!

• Bozo said, on October 8, 2015 at 12:42 pm

That cracked me up too, Kev.

• Flavor said, on October 8, 2015 at 3:36 pm

I half expected him to bust into a scene from Flashdance

10. xoot said, on October 8, 2015 at 2:09 pm

David not worth the Price?

• zumiee said, on October 8, 2015 at 3:48 pm

An ERA of 6.43 for the game. Yikes.

11. Flavor said, on October 8, 2015 at 3:35 pm

Only scoring 3 runs? Gotta guess those sphincters were tight like a drum.

12. zumiee said, on October 8, 2015 at 3:45 pm

Rough first game for Toronto. A loss, plus some injuries.

13. Macdog said, on October 8, 2015 at 4:49 pm

A.J. Pierzynski is one of the announcers for Astros-Royals.

14. Flavor said, on October 8, 2015 at 5:16 pm

considering Aoki, Belt, Blanco and now Donaldson, this admission becomes something that needs serious attention
    Brandon McCarthy ‏@BMcCarthy32 24m24 minutes ago
    A gentle reminder, as my brain was dying and in need of immediate medical intervention, I passed a concussion test.

15. xoot said, on October 8, 2015 at 5:28 pm

Cuban Martinez reportedly has signed with the Cubs for $3 million bonus. Pavlovic re-tweet.

• Flavor said, on October 8, 2015 at 5:37 pm

whatev. Fine losing that guy. The Cubans that go for peanuts never pan out for shit….

• Lurker John said, on October 8, 2015 at 5:40 pm

WTF happened to the Giants signing him?!

• xoot said, on October 8, 2015 at 5:43 pm

He backed out of the $2.5 million deal apparently. If the Giants weren’t willing to throw him another 1/2 (and mlb’s tax fund another 1/2), gotta think they knew what they were doing.

• Lurker John said, on October 8, 2015 at 5:44 pm

Is it just me, or do the Giants seem to be no-shows in today’s IFA market? There was a time when they were the best on that front.

• Flavor said, on October 8, 2015 at 6:20 pm

when were they *the best on that front?*

• djloo27 said, on October 8, 2015 at 6:33 pm

Unless he means Osvaldo Fernandez, I guess LJ might be going all the way back to the Giants being pioneers in signing Latinos like Marichal, the Alous, etc…

• Flavor said, on October 8, 2015 at 7:23 pm

shit, that was another time. Like 5 other times ago.

16. Lurker John said, on October 8, 2015 at 5:36 pm

Pete Rose in the studio?! Holy smokes.

17. Lurker John said, on October 8, 2015 at 5:36 pm

Great piece about Matt Duffy here:

18. zumiee said, on October 8, 2015 at 7:00 pm

The Giants have been active, but no big splashes. Lucius Fox from the Bahamas is supposedly good. We’ll see if that pans out.

• Flavor said, on October 8, 2015 at 7:23 pm

he was a great signing.

19. zumiee said, on October 8, 2015 at 8:19 pm

The Royals crowd is as white as a GOP convention. Well, it IS a GOP convention.

• Lurker John said, on October 8, 2015 at 8:32 pm

That’s right, loo. I know it’s a while ago, but look at the great players they brought into the Bigs. They’ve always had a good connection to the Latino community.

• Lurker John said, on October 8, 2015 at 8:33 pm

Replied to the wrong person, but this was pertaining to the posts above about international players.

• Lurker John said, on October 8, 2015 at 8:34 pm

Those darn ‘Stros are messing up the Royal’s party. I love it.

20. djloo27 said, on October 8, 2015 at 9:07 pm

I hope the Giants retire Jeff Kent’s number next year. His SF stats stack up very well against Cepeda’s…

• zumiee said, on October 8, 2015 at 9:23 pm

Not going to happen until they resolve Barry Bonds’ legacy. It would look racist to honor Kent first.

• djloo27 said, on October 8, 2015 at 9:27 pm

I’m with ya, Zum. Or for extra fun, do it on the same day.
        Every game is “sold out” anyway.

• zumiee said, on October 8, 2015 at 9:28 pm

That’s a great idea. It would be very cool.

21. djloo27 said, on October 8, 2015 at 9:20 pm

And Brian Wilson should eventually get one of those wall plaques.
    Where is he, anyway?

• zumiee said, on October 8, 2015 at 9:27 pm

I don’t know where he is, but the Dodgers paid him $10 million this season. Not a bad summer.

22. djloo27 said, on October 8, 2015 at 9:24 pm

And despite how it worked for us last year, I don’t like the one game WC playoff. After a 162 game season, you deserve a little margin for error. They should make it 2 out of 3…

• Macdog said, on October 8, 2015 at 9:48 pm

The Yankees and their fans probably were grateful the season wasn’t extended another game.

23. alleykat69 said, on October 8, 2015 at 9:44 pm

Sure the Jolly Rodger Pirates would agree with you Loo.
    But then again, win your Freakin Division and give yourself a better chance of not walking the plank..

24. alleykat69 said, on October 8, 2015 at 9:58 pm

Just diggin the Astros run right now!
    AJ Hinch really has this team playing loose,but with a special controlled excitement.Like their chances to get to the final dance.
    Interesting Stat.. All 4 road teams won for the 1st time since 1970!