Still in a New York State of Mind

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 14, 2015

The Cardinals and their 100 regular season wins have been bounced from the post season and I wonder how often that happens. I’m not gonna look it up. Just wonder about it. How often does the team with the most regular season wins NOT make it to the World Series?

Disappointing but predictable ending for the Mets. Kershaw can finally spell his name properly again. Goodie for him.

deGrom can still pull this off. He’s a beast and even going against a fellow beast it could come down to a single hit that sends the Art Dealers to the couch. I still believe the Mets can do this……

1. eddacker said, on October 14, 2015 at 6:55 am

In line at the post office and the man behind me is watching the end of the cubbies game on his phone. I listen as the lovable losers advance. He starts talking about the next game with “I hate the doggers” sprinkled liberally about. We talk, he’s a Cubs fan since the early ’80s. I mention next year with all the great young players and new teams emerging. He says, ‘know what team I fear next year, if they get healthy? The Giants.’
    While I enjoy playoff baseball this month, it is never too soon too plan for next season.
    Go Gigantes!

2. willedav said, on October 14, 2015 at 7:35 am

I dunno Flav, Mets had it all set up perfectly to send LA packing and off to tee times—at home with the lead in series, crowd still inflamed by Utley nonsense, Op whom they had already beaten on mound yada yada.
    instead they are the ones packing to return to left coast vs. Greinke. not good.
    See how much deeper Wilpon’s are willing to dig into their pockets for Cespedes. Without him they are lot less interesting.

Other than Knicks teams of Bradley Clyde deBusschere (and earlier hero Dick Fall Back Baby Barnett) I can’t think of a NY team I liked. Phil Jackson was pretty funny looking in those days too.

Not sure about this, but was Alderson the GM with Pads who let Bochy go?

• djloo27 said, on October 14, 2015 at 7:49 am

Loved Barnett. Recognized him (who wouldn’t?) on the subway about 20 years ago and had a great chat.
      He enjoyed my recollection of him schooling the young “Mad Dog” Carter in the ’70 playoffs.

• willedav said, on October 14, 2015 at 8:35 am

wow, impressive must have been fun.
        my attempts at shooting J’s with Barnett leg kick were total fail.

• djloo27 said, on October 14, 2015 at 9:32 am

Mine, too, Willie. It ain’t easy. Had a buddy who was great at it.

• alleykat69 said, on October 14, 2015 at 7:49 am

Think he was Willied,
      Know Alderson came in as Ceo in 05,and I believe he took over as gm the next year and canned Boch after the 06 season ended..

3. willedav said, on October 14, 2015 at 8:16 am

There are gonna be mgr openings in off season as firings have already started. Wotus supposed to get interview with Nats, btw.
    On Card70 blog (good read imo), Daniel notes some of Matheny’s blunders, mostly involving pitching moves. He also cites a study on grantland that has Matheny at bottom of list for ml mgrs for bringing in the right guy at right time.
    Guy’s team won 100 games in injury plagued season but he is certain to catch some more heat.

Similarly, DTT has won division 3 yrs in a row now, with W totals of 94 and 92 twice. And of course widely rumored to be out the door if LA doesn’t go farther in playoffs, which could end for them tomorrow.

Is this mgmt. overreacting or are there better options really out there?

All this reminded me of unprecedented events following Series of ’64, when Cards FO was moving behind scene to let J Keane go and then his team won the pennant and Series for first time since ’40s. He quit anyway and Yanks, who had fired Yogi after they lost Series, hired him away and team fell apart due to age and injuries and wound up last under Houk ’66.

• djloo27 said, on October 14, 2015 at 11:23 am

When I really want to freak someone out, I tell them that Mike Cuellar was on the ’64 Cardinals.
      No one ever believes that…

4. chipower9 said, on October 14, 2015 at 8:18 am

I am with you, Flav. Statistically, and every other reason out there points to the bums closing this out, but for some reason, I think the Mets have a shot…as the deGrom kid is no slouch (he also has a sub 1 WHIP this year). I think it will come down to an error or a key knock, and I am hoping like hell that the Mets are the beneficiaries.

I am SO happy to see the Cubbies advance. Even though I grew-up a Cards fan as a kid back in Oklahoma, I was pulling all the way for the Cubs…wanting to see some new blood go deep.

I am sticking with my Cindarella fantasy of a Cubbie vs Stros world serious. GO STROS! I could really care less in the other junior circuit game…whatevah.

5. zumiee said, on October 14, 2015 at 9:19 am

Even if the Dodgers win tomorrow, the Mets caused the Dodgers to have to use Kershaw and Greinke in games 4 and 5, which means it’s set up a little nicer for the Cubs. If the Dodgers beat the Mets, then Kershaw and Greinke would both have to go on three days rest to start games 1 and 2 against the Cubs, which isn’t ideal for the Dodgers, series-wise, and health-wise for their pitchers.

• Macdog said, on October 14, 2015 at 9:34 am

First two games of NLCS are Saturday-Sunday, so Greinke probably wouldn’t pitch until Game 3.

• blade3colorado said, on October 14, 2015 at 9:35 am

Exceptional points.

• zumiee said, on October 14, 2015 at 11:07 am

Ah, right, I miscounted the days on Greinke.

6. zumiee said, on October 14, 2015 at 9:22 am

A pivotal moment last night was the Murphy AB with two runners on. He had a good swing on that fly-out to center, and as he walked away, I watched him say something to the firstbase coach, and I read his lips as: “”Just” missed that.”

• Macdog said, on October 14, 2015 at 9:41 am

I like watching Murphy hit. Has a nice swing, doesn’t try to kill it, and usually good things happen. Unfortunately that wasn’t one such moment. Then Cespedes leads off the 9th down 2 with no one on and tries to kill it, when a single, walk, any way of getting on base is just as good.

• zumiee said, on October 14, 2015 at 11:11 am

Cespedes had an AB against Greinke that annoyed me. He took a fastball right down the middle for strike one, as if he had decided beforehand to take the first pitch no matter what. It was the only good pitch he saw in the whole AB. He ended up striking out on a slider, low and away.

7. alleykat69 said, on October 14, 2015 at 11:58 am

You want to move on its all-hands on deck, there’s no tomorrow except tee times.
    Smart hitting, great pitching & D will advance u to the next round. Gee sounds like what most managers would say😀

• zumiee said, on October 14, 2015 at 2:58 pm

It’s important for managers not to manage in a robotic way in elimination games. Fredi Gonzalez did the classic robot move a few years ago when he didn’t bring in Kimbrel in with two outs in the 8th inning. Uribe hit an HR off the other guy, and the Dodgers eliminated the Braves.
      Bochy had the World Series game 7 last year set up in his mind before-hand. He knew it was a reasonable possibility that Hudson would struggle early, and he told Affeldt to be aware he might come in early. And in Bochy’s mind, Affeldt would be the bridge to MadBum in that game.

8. djloo27 said, on October 14, 2015 at 3:54 pm

Can anybody here play this game?

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 14, 2015 at 7:49 pm

in joke….Lindsay Nelson thang

9. wilcojoe said, on October 14, 2015 at 6:10 pm

I have to admit Pierzysnki is a damn good color guy. He will have a great second career when he is done catching.

10. Flavor said, on October 14, 2015 at 6:31 pm

I was hoping Russell Martin’s d-bag, lazy throw back to the pitcher would turn him into the goat of the series since I think he’s lame. Unfortunately, that didn’t happen. The Toronto fans showed themselves to be true idiots, baseball newbies. And Gibbons playing the game under protest, when no rule had been broken or improperly applied, makes him look dumber than the fans……

11. xoot said, on October 14, 2015 at 6:45 pm

Houston, tenemos un problema

• xoot said, on October 14, 2015 at 7:44 pm

un problema muy grande

12. Flavor said, on October 14, 2015 at 7:11 pm

Multiple fans in KC holding up signs “Finish Him”. Is that an inside joke there or is that just the dumbest sign ever?

13. Flavor said, on October 14, 2015 at 7:48 pm

throwing Keuchel out there was just nonsense desperation. Like trying to re-create some kind of Mad Bum thing. Everyone knows Keuchel is a creature of habit. He can barely deal with an away game start. A relief appearance? This is what you get……

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 14, 2015 at 7:52 pm

that and EVERYTHING else happening (Cards losing, Jays coming back after losing first two at home, a la 2012 SFG) just reinforces all the more how amazing it was for us to go 3 out of 5. Truly staggering. It will become clearer as time marches on.

14. Flavor said, on October 14, 2015 at 7:50 pm

also….would love to know what The Marlins Man spends on these games.

15. wilcojoe said, on October 14, 2015 at 7:55 pm

Wow, so that’s how it feels to lose in the postseason. Kinda sucks.

16. mrsprtdude said, on October 14, 2015 at 10:06 pm

Craig..They mentioned during the Cubs Cards game. Last 100 win team to win WS was 86 Mets. Since then 15 teams have won a 100 or more and not won WS. Interesting…

17. gianthead said, on October 15, 2015 at 3:58 pm

First time in my life I have ever rooted for another baseball team besides the Gigantes as hard as I am rooting for the Mets tonight.

I am still steaming with how the Stros blew Game 4 killing my Stros – Mets World Series bet:(

18. gianthead said, on October 15, 2015 at 4:06 pm

Watching these playoffs, does anyone in the baseball world not think the Giants pitching from from 2010, 2012 or 2014 world series champion teams would not just blow everyone away. Been some mediocre pitching in clutch situations. Those Giant teams would not have been bashed around as the Cubs did to the Cards….