On This Date…..

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 17, 2015

26 years ago today, an earthquake hit the Bay Area. I was in Portland, Oregon at the time so I had no experience other than worrying about my friends and family. How many of you guys were here when it went down? Any strong memories?

1. Bozo said, on October 17, 2015 at 8:29 am

I was in the upper boxes at the Stick when it hit. Man did it rock. I started to grab my stuff to get out of there and one of my buddies stopped me, and asked if I wanted to be under all this concrete. I sat in my seat and was braced to ride that down. The players went out to the field, the Goodyear blimp started heading towards the Bay Bridge. People with radios were saying the Bay Bridge was down. No PA system but when the Umps picked up the bases we knew it was time to go. One of my friends was a free lance photographer that got to work the regular season games (not allowed to work the WS, but they did give him the tix), he needed to get to his gallery in the Mission so we took the back roads through Hunters Point (thankfully missing the mess on Third Street). He also wanted to take pictures of everything, I’d swear the long crack in the street had probably been there for years, but that photo and some of his others ended up in the book, Three Weeks In October. After dropping him off my other buddy and I continued on to Cole Valley where we lived. Coming over the hill we could see the flames in the Marina, but my most vivid memory was being able to see all those stars in SF (except for the fires, there wasn’t any lights to block them out). What a crazy day/night that was.

2. snarkk said, on October 17, 2015 at 9:21 am

I worked in Oakland at the time. Was on the 7th floor of a building across from the old Emporium dept. store, I think it was. The building started swaying a little bit, I got off my chair, went over under the doorway of my office, figuring it would stop. Then the building started rocking back and forth big time. I dashed to the other room and jumped under the conference table and rode out the swaying and bucking. When it stopped, I dashed over to my office, and looked down into the street. All the brick veneer had fallen off the Emporium wall into the sidewalk and street. There was other debris in the street up and down from stuff falling off buildings. Lots of broken glass. All the street lights were out. Everybody in the office got together, and we ran down the stairs because we were afraid the building might have been structurally damaged and might collapse, or gas mains underneath might catch fire and you’d be caught in a building fire — who knew? Just get the hell outta there. Out into the street, everybody else in the area had the same idea — get out of the buildings, so there were thousands in the streets. BART didn’t work, nothing worked. So, I walked about 4 miles up into Berkeley where I lived at the time. Thousands of people in the streets, coming and going and milling around and just talking about WTF was going on. Controlled chaos. Rumors abounded, because only people with car radios or transistor radios could get any info. The Bay Bridge totally collapsed? GG Bridge damaged? Half of San Francisco on fire? Crazy stuff. And, it was really hot that day. As I walked up to Berkeley, you could see all sorts of stuff having fallen off walls into streets, some windows broken, brick chimneys fallen down onto driveways, onto cars, etc. Sirens in the distance. Not many cars, all the street lights were down…

• snarkk said, on October 17, 2015 at 10:39 am

Street lights I mean traffic lights …

3. Flavor said, on October 17, 2015 at 10:02 am

wow, those are 2 great stories guys. Hopefully they keep coming all day.

4. snarkk said, on October 17, 2015 at 10:32 am

I’m good with any permutation of these 4 teams in the WSeries. No dog in the hunt. It would, tho, be hilarious if Cespedes and Donaldson faced off — the Beane criticism would ramp up again. I’m torn on the Cubs– their fans deserve a winner, but if they won, would it destroy the mystique of lovable losers? …

• Lurker John said, on October 17, 2015 at 10:49 am

“I’m torn on the Cubs– their fans deserve a winner, but if they won, would it destroy the mystique of lovable losers? …”

Interesting question. It probably would.

5. snarkk said, on October 17, 2015 at 10:45 am

I’m not into payying Greinke 180M for 6 years. Look at the Cain deal — $40M down the toidy the last 2+ seasons. Greinke is 32. I wouldn’t even put in a bid on the guy unless just for PR purposes the Giants feel they have to…

• Flavor said, on October 17, 2015 at 11:35 am

Totally agree

• snarkk said, on October 17, 2015 at 1:04 pm

Where the phuck are these young arms that are supposed to be so hot in the minors? Where’s Crick, Blackburn, etc? It’s about time one or more of them show up instead of being minor league rumors. Heston wasn’t on the list of the guys supposedly prospects, yet he was just fine the first half. That tells me the Giants can’t totally predict who’s ready and who’s not. It’s not a certainty. So, bring some of these guys up in ST and turn ’em loose, see what they can do, instead of paying some 30 ish dude a gazillion dollars to maybe have 2 or 3 good years out of six, all the while you’ve got fingers crossed he doesn’t snap an elbow ligament that costs about $60 million in lost seasons…

• Flavor said, on October 17, 2015 at 1:26 pm

you’re on fire today.

6. Lurker John said, on October 17, 2015 at 10:47 am

I was going to school in Bellingham, WA (WWU) doing what most here were probably doing, preparing to watch Game 3 of the Series. No, I wasn’t there, but I remember every aspect of that time and where I was like it was yesterday. Having grown up in the Bay Area, I was affected by everything that was going on there as the Series was quickly made irrelevant by the quake. The word surreal is overused, but not in describing that time. From where I was, it seems like a bad dream.

7. ewisco said, on October 17, 2015 at 10:56 am

i lived in east san jose, not that far from the epicenter. i was out walking the dog prior to watching the game. one of my long standing complaints living here is when a 5.0 hits and everyone panics. i try to point out that it’s a logarithmic scale and that a 6 will be 10x worse and a 7 100x worse. so i’m walking the dog and it hits. first i check my surroundings, i’m by an empty lot, not poles or trees anywhere near so I’m good. i’m watching the cars parked along the side of the street and at various points, the tires of the car on one side were higher than the roof of the car on the other and then visa versa. the light poles were bending so far that the top cross arm that supports the light was almost touching the ground. i thought for sure that they were just going to break off. the dog starts to take off but i said no and he stuck around. and we just rode it out. once it was over i said to the dog, “now THAT’S an earthquake! i walk into the house and the only damage is a picture is askew on the wall. no biggie i figure. but one of the things about land line phones is that they almost never went out. part of how to check how big something is was to pick up the phone and see if it was still working. it wasn’t, so i’m thinking, OK that WAS big. but it never crosses my mind, based on what i saw, that the game would be called. so i start to change clothes to go find a bar because of course the power is out, when the phone rings. Wow, that was fast! so i answer it and it’s a buddy from so cal and he’s shouting “the bridges are down”, “the city’s in flames” and I’m listening to one of the SF radio stations that he’s listening to come back over the phone line. kind of surreal. i find out the game’s cancelled, which was a bummer, so i figure i’ll go to the store and pick up a steak to grill and some ice to keep the frig cold. well i get to the store and it’s closed because all the shit just lept off the shelves and there was a huge mess. i go back home, defrost a steak that was in the freezer and bbq it while talking to the neighbors. had a nice dinner, though no popovers (a must with a steak dinner) and eventually went to bed. i will say that the aftershocks got old. you started to get jumpy about whether it was another big one. I had some buddies at the game and they were sitting almost at the top in center and they were right next to one of the expansion joints that are there just for this reason. well that bad boy was opening and closing and they could see all the way down to the ground below, which was a hell of a drop. say what you will about the stick but the old girl did us proud that night. i’ve never had it confirmed but my buddies said that everyone was chanting “play ball”.

8. Macdog said, on October 17, 2015 at 11:42 am

I was living in a house up in the hills in San Carlos at the time, had just come home from work and was taking a nap — yes, taking a nap — because I had gotten zero sleep after what started out as a good time drinking with co-workers the day before turned into one of the more bizarre nights of my life. I was soon jarred awake by the quake. Being new to the SF area, I had just about gotten used to the occasional temblor, but it quickly became obvious that this wasn’t one of those. After it was over, I stepped outside and talked to some neighbors — everyone it seemed went outside — but since there was no damage where we were, I went back in and turned on the TV — incredibly, the house still had power. Not long after that, I saw the Bay Bridge and knew there sure as hell wasn’t going to be any baseball played. The rest is kind of a blur, other than calling my parents back east to let them know I was okay. I might have drove around some, but I probably didn’t get too far.

I still think back and wonder why I wasn’t at the ‘Stick after attending all three NLCS games. My thinking was probably that it would be a very tough ticket — first World Series game since ’62 — so I decided to wait for Game 4 or maybe 5. (I did end up going to Game 4 when the Series resumed.) That weekend, still a little unnerved by the aftershocks, I drove to San Diego to go to a football game just to get away for a couple days.

9. sfsarge said, on October 17, 2015 at 12:04 pm

Nothing too interesting for me. I was a 6th grader in Sacramento at that time and I remember I was sitting on the couch and goofing off with my little brother. We get a phone call, I answer it and it’s my grandmother who sounded very shaken. She said that there had been an earthquake and to let my mom know that she was ok and that her building was still standing. (She worked for pac bell in the city). As soon as I hung up the phone, I turned on the TV and saw why she sounded so upset.

10. xoot said, on October 17, 2015 at 1:39 pm

I was in the hallway of a pretty big building on the UC Davis campus, talking to a woman. At the moment the quake hit I was thinking, htf am I going to tell her politely goodbye so I can go watch the WS? The building slowly swayed one way and then back the other way, like a huge ship rocking over a big swell. I still remember the look in that woman’s eyes. One of us, I don’t recall which, said what we both were thinking: holy shit that was a big one somewhere. I listened to KNBR as I drove across town. I’d met my girlfriend when she was in grad school at Berkeley. A bunch of faculty and their families were close friends of hers. I had friends all over Oakland, Berkeley, SF and Santa Cruz. We couldn’t get through to anyone. I remember drinking a lot wine that night while I watched the news reports on tv.

Funny thing. About a week later a big firm in SF called me to see if I was interested in interviewing again for a job I’d turned down the previous summer. They said they had lots of open days for interviewing because some people they’d planned to fly in from east coast schools had cancelled. I wonder if there’s a way to quantify that sort of impact following a disaster.

11. zumiee said, on October 17, 2015 at 1:41 pm

Living in the Central Valley, I rarely feel earthquakes, but this one was quite different. This one seemed to last at least 30 seconds, far longer than usual. I really had that feeling of riding it. I was in a second floor apartment. After it stopped, I went downstairs and saw all the residents streaming into the parking lot. It wasn’t close enough to the epicenter to do any damage. I hadn’t even turned on the baseball game yet. I was avoiding the pre-game show, with the Giants down in the Series. I always wondered how the Series might have played out differently. The delay allowed LaRussa to come back with Stewart for game 3. The Giants never seemed more cursed, at the time.

• zumiee said, on October 17, 2015 at 1:47 pm

Seeing the news reports was stunning.
      Bush, Sr.’s decision to send Quayle as his representative was about as tone-deaf as it gets.

• snarkk said, on October 17, 2015 at 3:58 pm

In 8 years as Prez, the great Decider never once visited San Francisco…

12. zumiee said, on October 17, 2015 at 2:46 pm

Ventura is laying an egg.

13. Flavor said, on October 17, 2015 at 3:08 pm

I’m surprised at the distance covered by the quake. My buddy was in Santa Cruz at the time and he said the earthquake knocked him out of a chair. But you guys felt it big in the Central Valley and out to Davis? I guess I’m just naive about the scope of the power of that quake. Like I said, wasn’t here to feel it.

14. Flavor said, on October 17, 2015 at 3:09 pm

David Price stepping up huge today. Surprised Ventura couldn’t do better even with all the shadows to help him. updated: man, Price got fucked in this inning by Goins ducking out of the way of that pop up

15. Flavor said, on October 17, 2015 at 3:29 pm

I love Eric Hosmer. Just all out on everything. Total gamer.

16. zumiee said, on October 17, 2015 at 4:02 pm

Toronto just can’t make that flub of miscommunication at this point in the season. That can’t happen.

17. snarkk said, on October 17, 2015 at 4:05 pm

Tell you what.
    I’m not paying $180M to friggin David Price for 6 years, either…

18. zumiee said, on October 17, 2015 at 4:07 pm

The Toronto manager needed to get a reliever up earlier in the 7th. You have to manage differently in the playoffs.

19. zumiee said, on October 17, 2015 at 4:12 pm

KC is breaking it open.
    You gotta give them credit for sucking it up after losing game 7 last year, and making a nice run for it again this year.

20. xoot said, on October 17, 2015 at 4:30 pm

Now I think of game 5 last year when Juan Perez blasted a Wade Davis FB into the padding on the CF wall and made it certain that MadBum would finish the game himself. Watching the PS when I can’t root for the Giants is fun, the way watching someone else ride a wave is fun.

• zumiee said, on October 17, 2015 at 4:38 pm

You’re right. It’s watching the playoffs stress-free. The last stress of this season, for me, was watching the Dodgers get eliminated.
      Hopefully the Giants bring us playoff stress again next season. 🙂

• xoot said, on October 17, 2015 at 4:42 pm

yes, that involvement is the great thing. We’ve been very lucky fans lately.

• zumiee said, on October 17, 2015 at 4:51 pm

The irony for me is that I thoroughly enjoy Giants championships, but the watching of Giants playoffs is pure agony of stress. 🙂

21. Flavor said, on October 17, 2015 at 4:40 pm

um. That Michigan game…..

• wilcojoe said, on October 17, 2015 at 4:45 pm

Unreal.

• xoot said, on October 17, 2015 at 4:59 pm

The MIchigan punter sure screwed that one up. Cover the grenade, dude.

• snarkk said, on October 17, 2015 at 5:11 pm

Looked line Niner special teams screw-ups under Harbaugh. Bad coaching. What do you tell the punter before the last play? “If you drop the ball, just fall on it, don’t be a hero”. These are 19 years olds, they don’t think. I didn’t see this game at all. Did Harbaugh play it conservative as usual and not put more points on the board to salt it away, or was this just a close one?

• Flavor said, on October 17, 2015 at 5:34 pm

I wasn’t really watching it, watched mostly the baseball game. There was definitely some time mismanagement with their final drive before the kick. Here’s a good tweet about it from the Niner beat guy:
        Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN 1h1 hour ago
        Michigan took over with 1:47 left. MSU had one TO. All they had to do was run wide and take up :07 per play and never would’ve had to punt.

• snarkk said, on October 17, 2015 at 7:46 pm

Luv the Maiocco analysis. Sounds like Harbaugh. For all the good he did, his special teams was never special, and his clock management, call protests, etc., generally sucked. And, he never wanted to pad the lead, so it was constant nail biter time late in many games. He knew he had a shut down defense, that was probably one reason for it…

22. zumiee said, on October 17, 2015 at 4:47 pm

Stan Conte gave his resignation as trainer of the Dodgers, maybe before they do a big purge?

23. djloo27 said, on October 17, 2015 at 4:52 pm

I didn’t get it:

• zumiee said, on October 17, 2015 at 5:00 pm

That’s a good one.

24. zumiee said, on October 17, 2015 at 4:54 pm

I’ve really grown to like Granderson. He looks like he would be a cool guy to have on a team. Seems like a total gamer.

• djloo27 said, on October 17, 2015 at 5:06 pm

Never heard a bad word about him…

25. willedav said, on October 17, 2015 at 4:55 pm

I was in a whse near SJ Giants park when it hit. Not too much damage but man shelves were moving around a lot. Pretty lucky too when I got to Sunnyvale, no damage to apt., phones and power still on.
    But yeah the aftershocks got old.
    My sister was in Burbank when the Northridge one hit and she said same thing–you just weren’t sure if another big one was coming.

Place where I work now (los gatos) took a bigger hit. Houses off foundation, etc. Toy company in the building we are in now bailed and moved out, much to our advantage. Our company took the spot over and we’ve been there 25 yrs. Lot of damage to businesses in downtown area, street blocked off, power outages, yada yada.

Series was an afterthought for most part.
    Dang Bozo, I cannot imagine being in the yard at that time with 50 thou and all the media and trying to get out of there and across town, safely.

• zumiee said, on October 17, 2015 at 5:03 pm

I actually read whse as whorehouse for a split-second. I did a double-take. 🙂

• Bozo said, on October 17, 2015 at 5:51 pm

Willie, it was still early and a lot of folks were still partying out in the lots. If it had been dark and/or if it was already packed, yeah, it would’ve been a nightmare getting out. Third street was totally fucked and getting out of the shit Stick lots was fucked up enough as it was.
      Do y’all remember how the Examiner had a Candlestick edition? I managed to keep mine with me, has Will in a tux on the cover. A damn good keepsake, that I gave to a friend of mine for his kid. I also gave them the ticket. Right after the quake, a guy was trying to buy the stubs and in retrospect I guess I should have sold it to him (when game 3 happened again, the ticket takers tore off a corner of the ticket stub, bastards) After the quake hit, those of us in the stands let out a roar, and like ewsico pointed out, the Stick stood and I’ll always love that place for that, if nothing else..
      You know, if it had been dark, if the Stick hadn’t stood, so many more lives could have been lost.
      My boss was on a bus going over the Bay Bridge when it hit, she said it felt like they had gotten a flat but the bus driver just floored it. When they got to the other side, my boss said she looked back and no cars were behind them. Now that’s a story.
      My girlfriend at the time was able to get over to the Inner Richmond (she worked in SF but was living in Berkeley) and did get through to me on the phone. Remember, no cell phones back then, and the land lines were spotty at best. But not being digital (and separate from the message machine so it didn’t need power) some local calls were getting through (long distance was fucked for me.). Anyway, made my way over to the Richmond district and realized I didn’t bring the address with me (my bad) so back to my place and then back to get her. She was pissed/freaked/check all of the above, get her back and she sees that the apartment across the street has lights and power but we don’t…It was a long night. Needless to say, the next morning when most people were getting water and batteries, I had to restock on booze, but that is another whole bit of TMI blather.
      Now I play with hurricanes. Woo Hoo.

• Flavor said, on October 17, 2015 at 7:05 pm

you’re coming up huge today with the earthquake stories, dude.

26. djloo27 said, on October 17, 2015 at 5:00 pm

Met broadcasters are freezing in the parking lot pre-game show…

27. Flavor said, on October 17, 2015 at 5:37 pm

Bozo’s first comment was epic. He was at the top of the stadium ready to “ride it down.” I wonder how many other Flappers, if any, were there? Gotta think Twinner was there…..

• xoot said, on October 17, 2015 at 5:48 pm

I remember my first PS on the Splash in 2007 Ferret asked people to share their 89 quake memories. As I recall, she got stoned in the parking lot with her friends and they had just taken their seats at the Stick. Twin said that he saw the dumpster behind his restaurant in the north bay (Sebastopol?) leap around like a mad elephant (I paraphrase) and that his first thought was that a hangover was finally going to kill him. I’m sure many others weighed in. Man that was a long time ago.

28. xoot said, on October 17, 2015 at 6:22 pm

Cespedes’s glove isn’t great, but his arm is one of the best in baseball.

29. zumiee said, on October 17, 2015 at 6:54 pm

Lester is coming up small.

30. zumiee said, on October 17, 2015 at 6:55 pm

That HR actually hit that big apple.

• Flavor said, on October 17, 2015 at 7:03 pm

reminded me a little of the ball bouncing off the wall back to Torres. I know that’s a stretch. But seriously, who hits the big apple triggering it to go up? That was insane. I mean, I guess the apple could have been triggered to go up automatically due to it being a home run but it sure looked like it jarred it into going up to me

• zumiee said, on October 17, 2015 at 7:09 pm

It goes up automatically, so the visual was great.

• Flavor said, on October 17, 2015 at 7:18 pm

definitely one of those “this is our year” moments…

• Macdog said, on October 17, 2015 at 10:32 pm

I guess that was an Apple Jack.

31. zumiee said, on October 17, 2015 at 7:01 pm

The Mets are really channeling the ’10 Giants.

32. zumiee said, on October 17, 2015 at 7:02 pm

They need to bridge to Familia.

33. zumiee said, on October 17, 2015 at 7:05 pm

I have a lot of good vibes for this Mets team for knocking off the Dodgers.

34. zumiee said, on October 17, 2015 at 7:29 pm

Lester = pfffftt.

35. Flavor said, on October 17, 2015 at 7:55 pm

imagine what Trevor Cahill could do if he actually worked out and got in shape.

36. snarkk said, on October 17, 2015 at 7:58 pm

Looked at that Goins gaffe in the 7th that started KC going. The guy called off Bautista twice. Then he stops and sits down. WTF was that? Looked like he had some money on KC, and decided to help ’em out. That was just weird…

37. snarkk said, on October 17, 2015 at 8:02 pm

WTF were the Giants thinking about giving Lester $160 million. No friggin way is this dude worth that much coin. I’m dubious about signing any of these top shelf FA dudes in the offseason. Greinke, Price, Cueto — it’s just not worth it. Bring up young arms, and buy a stud outfielder instead…

• Flavor said, on October 17, 2015 at 8:19 pm

not gonna fly too close to you tonight. You’re on FIRE!

38. zumiee said, on October 17, 2015 at 8:04 pm

Murphy with the play; he’s everywhere.

39. snarkk said, on October 17, 2015 at 8:09 pm

Likin’ this NL series already. Don’t need another Cards NLCS. Lotsa good, young players on both teams. Mets pitching is formidable…

40. zumiee said, on October 17, 2015 at 8:30 pm

Familia with a 4-out save; no bridge needed.

41. Macdog said, on October 17, 2015 at 9:21 pm

My favorite stat, courtesy of AP: Murphy has homered off of $517 million worth of pitchers in the playoffs.

• zumiee said, on October 18, 2015 at 7:49 am

Good call on the d’Naurd HR: an Apple Jack!

• Macdog said, on October 18, 2015 at 9:46 am