KC 1 NY 0

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 28, 2015

If yesterday’s Game 1 is any indication, this is going to be an exciting World Series. Will anyone watch it? Seemed like the NBA dominated the night but maybe that’s just because we are in the heart of Dubs Nation. How about that ring, eh? Gaudy enough for ya? There’s a pic circulating twitter of Rick Barry comparing his lil’ guy to the lug nut on Joe Lacob’s hand. I’ll find it later at work this morning and post it.

lol, look at this thing:

barryvslacob

1. wilcojoe said, on October 28, 2015 at 6:34 am

Pretty good discussion going on in the media today regarding FOX’s decision to announce the death of Volquez’s father despite FOX having been personally asked by the family to not mention it on the air, as according to the family, Volquez did not know prior to the start of the game. Ned Yost even confirmed this as well.

Many in the media, are standing by FOX’s decision to report the “news” despite a plea by a family member not to. How anyone can go against the wishes of his family is quite disturbing to say the least. To me this is no different than the standard journalistic practice of not releasing the name of the guy down the road who died in a car wreck, until “family members have been notified.”

Pretty fucked up, is the only way I can describe FOX’s decision here. Would love to know if Buck was pressured by the powers that be to disclose this as it was exploding in social media.

• wilcojoe said, on October 28, 2015 at 6:39 am

And if that’s not sickening enough, FOX thought it was okay to let that midget Rosenthal tweet it out and then slap themselves on the back for keeping it a secret, until it wasn’t a secret anymore. Pathetic!

• xoot said, on October 28, 2015 at 6:47 am

I mentioned last night–driving home I heard the first inning on espn radio and those guys spent every pregame minute talking about Sr. Volquez’s death earlier in the day. So everyone in the country watching or listening to the game (including all the people at Kauffman with smart phones) knew about the man’s passing and only his son on the mound didn’t? That’s weird. He may get pissed off at being manipulated on that scale.

• chipower9 said, on October 28, 2015 at 7:44 am

Totally fucked-up play by Fox. Fucking embeciles…

• Carstie Clausen said, on October 28, 2015 at 9:34 am

All you need to know is that Faux Noose (and sports) is owned by the pig, Rupert Murderoch.

2. wilcojoe said, on October 28, 2015 at 7:11 am

Good point. He probably will be upset (rightly so) that he was the last one to find out. However if the team (and Yost confirmed this) was able to shelter all the noise from him, then I still think FOX should have taken the high road on this. The family was explicit in FOX not announcing it for fear he would hear/see on TV between innings when he was in the clubhouse. Not everyone is reading social media, so the TV broadcast may have been the only thing keeping the news from him.

3. Lurker John said, on October 28, 2015 at 7:34 am

Well, that was one hell of a baseball game, from the first pitch going for an inside-the-parker, to Hosmer’s whiff on the chopper that allowed the go-ahead run to score, Gordon’s dramatic one-out-in-the-9th-game-tying-homer, to Hosmer’s game-winning sac fly, this one had it all; Home runs, great defense, good pitching. Let us hope the rest of the Series goes like this.

I really don’t like the cocky Royals and hope they lose. They represent everything the Giants are not. Whereas the G’s exude a quiet confidence that is a direct reflection of their brilliant manger, the Royals are loud and brash and have an idiot for a manager. The fact that they continue to win in spite of him is testament to their talent.

Great game to watch, all 14 innings of it, and to cap it off, the W’s routed the Pels!

4. Lurker John said, on October 28, 2015 at 7:39 am

Joe, I thought I’d heard Buck say that Volquez had been told prior to the game, but learning that FOX actually announced it during the game after his family asked them not to is a real shocker. The way stuff spreads these days, it was probably all over social media in a flash and some dickhead Mets fan could have hollered it out trying to rattle Volquez.

Bottom line is that was as bullshit move by FOX.

5. Lurker John said, on October 28, 2015 at 7:40 am

This link says he knew before the game. Must’ve been where I heard it:

6. chipower9 said, on October 28, 2015 at 8:01 am

Great game…I hung in there for all 14. Only problem is the fucking Royals won. I still say Mets in six.

deGrom vs. Cueto tonight. I hope the Mets pound the living dog shit outta Cueto. I have never liked the guy, and while he is mentioned with the likes of Greinke and Price, no way I see him as an elite pitcher. Go Mets!

7. willedav said, on October 28, 2015 at 8:22 am

End of last thread—Warriors looked really good last night, moving the ball cutting passing screening to set up lot of good looks for everyone. Curry was fabulous–24 in the first Q, 40 for the game he left with 3 minutes to go in 3rd Q when it was garbage time. Strong game from Bogut before he got in collision with D Cunningham and left for stitches side of head.
    Curious move by Gentry who had Brow mostly on perimeter, where he sucked (4-20 from floor). Ezeli smoked one of his post ups and dunked right over him too. Otherwise not much from bench. Only time Walton had to take TO was stretch where NO got hot and Warriors turned ball over early 2nd Q. Otherwise, strong effort at both ends.

8. chipower9 said, on October 28, 2015 at 8:53 am

For Pawlie (per the Richard Thompson and Fairport Convention conversation last thread)…

And yes…I am getting tix for the upcoming Richard Thompson Electric Trio show…should be awesome!

• unca_chuck said, on October 28, 2015 at 9:19 am

Gimme Shelter and Great Gig in the Sky, right?

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 28, 2015 at 5:54 pm

Fairport Convention. Sure! tnx

9. chipower9 said, on October 28, 2015 at 9:10 am

Zumiee – great share on the article by Roger Angell last thread (the one on Madison and the World Series). The best part of the story…the final line.

Love reading his stuff…just beautiful writing all the way around…

While sitting there watching the game last night, I was telling Gail that I keep having flashbacks to that game 7, and the first image that always comes into my mind is of the bullpen gates swinging open, and Bumgarner strolling out to write history…

104 days until pitchers and catchers report…FOUR in SEVEN…

10. unca_chuck said, on October 28, 2015 at 9:18 am

For al the heat Gentry’s taking over how he played AD, the Pelicans are already injured beyond belief. I think they suited up 9 guys. Once they get their other weapons back maybe it’ll make more sense. Jrue Holiday, Tyreke Evans, Luke Babbitt, Omer Asik, Norris Cole, and Quincy Pondexter were all out. They signed a guy,PG Ish Smith, 2 days ago.

11. Carstie Clausen said, on October 28, 2015 at 10:02 am

Even though a diehard NLer who despises the dink-hitter nonsense, i frankly am glad that the Royals won last night. Perhaps its a Midwestern bias. Maybe it has something to do with the corrupt Wilpon clan which owns the Mets. One thing that really browns me off about the major media is that gametimes are always given in Eastern Standard (or Daylight) Time. Think about that. Why? Fifty years ago it made some sense as close to half the population lived east of Ohio (which really is in the mid-east rather than mid-west, geographically. Demographic changes with massive inmigration to the South and West means that the center of American population is now some few miles southwest of St. Louis.

So the sensible thing would be for postings to be according to Central Time. Easterners and mountain staters would only be an hour off center and you far Westerners would be only two hours off rather than the currently ridiculous three.

Though my closest majors happen to be the Twin Cities, in many ways i prefer the common culture of Kansas City to MSP. High culture may be another matter, but K.C. is a true melting-pot of Midwest, South, Southwest and plains West. It’s population is an amalgam of all those cultural influences, making it more open than Minnesota’s metro. Then again, it’s a small market in MLB. So Go Royals.

• Flavor said, on October 28, 2015 at 10:11 am

I mean, is it that big of a deal to convert it?

• Carstie Clausen said, on October 28, 2015 at 11:08 am

Perception is everything. The Eastcoast bias works in many levels of consciousness beneath what our everyday rational mind can discern. This literally makes many Americans off-center in their weltansschaungs.

• djloo27 said, on October 28, 2015 at 11:09 am

With or without a calculator?

• chipower9 said, on October 28, 2015 at 12:37 pm

Calculator? I prefer a slide rule used in conjunction with an abacus.

12. unca_chuck said, on October 28, 2015 at 11:25 am

Can’t have off-center weltensshaungs. That woul deal to . . . Wobbling?.

13. unca_chuck said, on October 28, 2015 at 11:29 am

Well, the alt is to give times for stuff In GMT and let everyone do the math.

Except of course for those hardy souls in Greenwich.

• xoot said, on October 28, 2015 at 12:27 pm

You mean the population of Great Britain?

14. zumiee said, on October 28, 2015 at 11:59 am

“weltensshaung”

I dig seeing words from other languages that we don’t have exact duplicates for in English. I guess the closest thing to weltensshaung is world-view, maybe, but it’s still not exactly it.
    Another good one is “schadenfreude,” which is what we all felt when the Dodgers got knocked out of the playoffs. “Taking joy in another’s misfortune.”
    I like the word “zugzwang,” too. It comes from the game of chess, mainly, but has other applications. It basically means “It’s your turn to make a move, but all your choices are bad, and you’d rather just pass, and let your opponent make another move; but you can’t, because the rules say you must make a move.” Even if someone has never played chess, they have probably experienced zugzwang when playing checkers. But zugzwang also comes up in sports, war, politics, and other situations.

• zumiee said, on October 28, 2015 at 12:04 pm

I bet Bochy looked at his bench, late in the game, more than a few times this past season, and saw Arias and Adrianza, and thought: “Zugzwang…..”

• djloo27 said, on October 28, 2015 at 12:20 pm

lulz!

• chipower9 said, on October 28, 2015 at 12:39 pm

Gold!

15. Bozo said, on October 28, 2015 at 12:17 pm

I read that the reason MLB stopped the game when the Fox truck blew a fuse, was because that also hosed the replay system. I guess both the Royals and Mets agreed to con tinue the game without replay, while FOX sorted the whole thing out. I never really thought about the networks being in charge of the replay feed before (I guess I always thought MLB had a separate system), but knowing FOX is in charge of anything official, that really bugs the hell out of me.

• xoot said, on October 28, 2015 at 1:40 pm

I’m surprised. mlb streams games all season long. mlb has a subsidiary media/tech company, hub in NY, that handles not only mlb games but entirely separate networks on a contract basis. I thought that was the center where the ump in the sky sits. (I think every team owns a share of the tech sub, and they’re making $$$ hand over fist with it.)

I know that there’s a big difference in camera-work quality at China Basin between Comcast sports games and local nbc channel 3 games. Channel 3 shows up (often on Friday nights) with about 1/2 as many cameras and does half-ass work, imo. I can’t imagine mlb’s replay system being dependent on who happens to be the broadcaster. But . . . . worth checking out.

• xoot said, on October 28, 2015 at 1:57 pm

from the NYT story on the blackout: “But to decide whether to make such a challenge, managers need access to the TV feed.”

So maybe they use the live tv feed for the initial team reviews and then the more sophisticated mlb camera shots for the NY call?

• Bozo said, on October 28, 2015 at 2:04 pm

OK, that makes sense.

16. djloo27 said, on October 28, 2015 at 12:19 pm

I wonder if Stix ever cooked up any mangel-wurzel…

• xoot said, on October 28, 2015 at 12:28 pm

if you don’t grow your own, your purchase those from your local beet hoven, right?

• chipower9 said, on October 28, 2015 at 12:43 pm

Didn’t Mae West have a line in a movie to the effect “Is that a mangelwurzel in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?”

• Carstie Clausen said, on October 28, 2015 at 5:10 pm

Nah. Chickens handled them raw just fine.

17. unca_chuck said, on October 28, 2015 at 1:16 pm

I thought it was schnitzengruben.

18. zumiee said, on October 28, 2015 at 3:17 pm

Great grim essay from former punk-rocker Henry Rollins about his love of vinyl records. He calls himself a “vinyl cat-lady.” He’s not bullish on the future of humanity or the planet. I don’t share that level of negativity, but the essay is still great.

• zumiee said, on October 28, 2015 at 3:21 pm

Rollins: “I buy records because I medicate with music. It makes the day-to-day horror show of existence endurable. It’s like waking and baking but with a different stash.
      This is what I can’t explain to the accountants, because it is way too intense for lunchtime conversation. In a way, my records are an investment — an investment in the preservation of what’s left of my sanity.”

19. zumiee said, on October 28, 2015 at 3:52 pm

KC has to feel like they stole one yesterday. They’re going to be feeling very good about themselves tonight. The Mets will need to be ready to step up to the challenge tonight. They have to let game 1 go.

20. zumiee said, on October 28, 2015 at 3:55 pm

Nice video clip, Chi. Sandy was gone from this world way too soon.

21. djloo27 said, on October 28, 2015 at 5:55 pm

That Kenny Rogers commercial is going to send me to the radio…

• Flavor said, on October 28, 2015 at 6:40 pm

the absolute worst part of that commercial is that no player at the table has a single chip in front of them. They couldn’t have sprung for some chips to make the commercial even the slightest bit believable?

22. pawliekokonuts said, on October 28, 2015 at 5:58 pm

Man, I need a German dictionary here — but that’s good. I like to learn. In fact, I am reading “Potsdam Station,” by David Downing, about the last days of WWII, in Berlin. Lots of Deusche there.

23. pawliekokonuts said, on October 28, 2015 at 5:59 pm

I’m rather surprised more people aren’t comparing de Grom to Timmy in 2010. Or are they?

24. pawliekokonuts said, on October 28, 2015 at 6:00 pm

Must-win game for Mets. KC sweeps if Mets lose tonight.

25. Flavor said, on October 28, 2015 at 6:38 pm

Bud Black to coach the Nats. I’m actually glad he didn’t go to the Dodgers, he’s a good manager.

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 28, 2015 at 6:39 pm

He is. Padres were foolish to sack him. Good choice for Nats.

• Bozo said, on October 28, 2015 at 6:57 pm

I don’t know Pawlie, I think SD was foolish to sack Bochy for Black.

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 28, 2015 at 7:01 pm

well, yeah, and ever so grateful for THAT

26. pawliekokonuts said, on October 28, 2015 at 6:42 pm

Hate to admit it, but these Royals remind me of a certain team in a WS between 2001 and 2003.

27. Paul Sorensen said, on October 28, 2015 at 6:42 pm

Chi, thanks for posting the Sandy Denny video (actually, that was me, not Pawlie, in that Fairport discussion, I know, I know, we’re so interchangeable)… 🙂 That vid was ’75, pretty near the end for her….

28. pawliekokonuts said, on October 28, 2015 at 6:43 pm

Not all that crazy about loquacious Harold Reynolds (as if I should talk), but glad he called out all of modern MLB players for being such awful bunters.

• Flavor said, on October 28, 2015 at 6:47 pm

I’m not as down on Harold Reynolds as everyone else. I think he’s 10 times better than McCarver.

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 28, 2015 at 6:52 pm

I pulled a classic flip-flop, below.

• unca_chuck said, on October 28, 2015 at 7:01 pm

Fucking Tiny Tim is better that Tim McCarver.

29. unca_chuck said, on October 28, 2015 at 6:45 pm

I am, Pawlie.

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 28, 2015 at 6:50 pm

It’s funny. The more I actually LISTEN to him, the more i find myself nodding my head. So…..

30. pawliekokonuts said, on October 28, 2015 at 6:46 pm

I heard on a radio broadcast that Cuban TV does not show ABs of exiles, Cuban refugees. Apparently Hosmer’s Mom is Cuban, and Fidel and Raul were not aware of that, so they show his ABs. He gets a kick out of that.

31. pawliekokonuts said, on October 28, 2015 at 6:51 pm

It’s like the Mets need a timeout, like in basketball. They need to change the mojo here.

32. Macdog said, on October 28, 2015 at 6:52 pm

Really makes you appreciate MadBum.

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 28, 2015 at 6:55 pm

Yup. I will say it here, or anywhere, every day: all of this just underscores, bold italic, how great 3 in 5 is / was.

33. pawliekokonuts said, on October 28, 2015 at 6:53 pm

The Series is over. And, agreeing with Reynolds, gotta remove de Grom. In fact, Collins is too late.

• djloo27 said, on October 28, 2015 at 7:03 pm

Did deGrom remind you of today’s Timmy in that inning?

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 28, 2015 at 7:09 pm

right….I texted Mets fans, and said on Twitter: he may look like but ain’t Timmy 2010 version…..more like 2015 tonight…….the announcers are just jumping on the Royals bandwagon….

34. Bozo said, on October 28, 2015 at 6:55 pm

Man, KC put on a hitting clinic in that inning.

35. djloo27 said, on October 28, 2015 at 7:07 pm

It’s far from a must win game for the Mets.
    KC’s starters don’t scare anybody.

36. xoot said, on October 28, 2015 at 7:09 pm

the Fox announcers have gone crazy for KC, Buck in particular. Reynolds isn’t horrible, but he’s getting infected with the shill virus. Meanwhile, Cespedes shows that he can handle LF.

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 28, 2015 at 7:10 pm

agreed, just said it….the game ain’t over….but I do think the Mets have to win this game, Loo

• xoot said, on October 28, 2015 at 7:19 pm

yeah, I saw your fox bandwagon comment after I hit post. We clearly agree on that issue. Buck is the worst. My favorite Buck PS moment is still 2010 when with deep disappointment in his voice he described Uribe’s HR falling into the RF stands in Philly. At the same time, Jon Miller with the Giants radio call was willing the ball higher and further with his voice, and he exulted. As did we all.

• Flavor said, on October 28, 2015 at 7:23 pm

totally agree. He couldn’t have been more bummed about this HR. He wasn’t too happy about the Renteria HR, either. To his credit, he got a little better as we started piling up the trophies. 🙂 I thought his call on Ishi’s bomb was fantastic and perfectly timed.

• xoot said, on October 28, 2015 at 7:30 pm

Here’s all three calls–Buck Fox, Miller and the Phillies’ guy. http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/14871772/v12901485/must-c-clutch-uribe-belts-a-goahead-homer/?c_id=mlb

• Flavor said, on October 28, 2015 at 7:34 pm

thanks for that. Great memories

37. djloo27 said, on October 28, 2015 at 7:13 pm

Cespedes has an annoying OCD thing about tapping his spikes with his bat…

• xoot said, on October 28, 2015 at 7:25 pm

and he’s a chain smoker and he plays golf constantly, during the season and PS, not just the off season. Strange guy. When he arrived in Oakland Bartolo Colon was the only other Latino on the squad. Remained that way for two years. He’s not a jerk, like Puig, but he’s just as odd.

38. Flavor said, on October 28, 2015 at 7:26 pm

never gets old

• Flavor said, on October 28, 2015 at 7:32 pm

and this one. Great call. And one of the best most emotional honest reactions to a home run I’ve ever seen a hitter have. I will always love Mike Morse.

• djloo27 said, on October 28, 2015 at 7:42 pm

So great…

39. alleykat69 said, on October 28, 2015 at 7:32 pm

Isn’t that the same doofus fan behind home plate dressed in his orange Marlin jersey that was there last year against the Giants and KC management wanted to move him from that seat and he basically told them to fuck off?

• Flavor said, on October 28, 2015 at 7:34 pm

yes. He pays top dollar to go to all these games. It’s his *job* now.

40. Flavor said, on October 28, 2015 at 7:44 pm

did anyone take KC besides me?

41. xoot said, on October 28, 2015 at 7:50 pm

well, the mets will have to regroup in NY, it seems. I’m starting to notice the ads on the KC wall, steak houses etc. Funny. I went to KC on business 15 years ago and for dinner had the biggest fillet mignon I’ve ever seen presented on a plate. Corn fed, presumably. Everyone relied on me to choose among the few cheap Calf. reds on the wine list. Kendall Jackson, I said with confidence. The steak was good, though.

42. Bozo said, on October 28, 2015 at 7:53 pm

Really good hitting is kicking the shit out of good pitching.

• pawliekokonuts said, on October 28, 2015 at 8:04 pm

well said! love those vids….get chills, still, from Ishi

43. djloo27 said, on October 28, 2015 at 8:02 pm

Watch Cespedes and the endless spike tapping…

44. Carstie Clausen said, on October 28, 2015 at 9:19 pm

If it’s your team doing the tattooing, an attack of the singles is a bit like an onset of the shingles. Doesn’t seem like a whole lot starting out, but one or two outs later that conga line has danced around the bases and the whole flavor of the game has changed. Reminds me of another team that featured the conga-line twostep, but ultimately ran outta gas on accounta of missing half its moving parts.

Imagine for a minute those two going at it in ’16, all conga to conga instead of the heavy-hitting mano a mano which dominated the game for years till quite recently. Could be quite the series.

45. zumiee said, on October 28, 2015 at 9:41 pm

The team with more World Series experience is beating the team that’s acting like they’re just happy to be there.

• giants54 said, on October 28, 2015 at 11:25 pm

Didn’t appear that way last night as they battled for 14 innings.

46. Paul Sorensen said, on October 29, 2015 at 2:58 am

Oh, man. Videos of Giants’ post seasons past. Agree, Craig, never gets old. So looking forward to spring training already and going for 4 in 7. And yeah, I didn’t say it here, because I honestly don’t want it to be true, but I “picked” KC, I think it’s their year. The only thing that makes that ok is looking forward to SF beating them again in the Series next year, cocky arrogant team and fans that they are.

47. xoot said, on October 29, 2015 at 7:37 am

Someone told me recently that after game 7 last season, KC used the lighting system in its CF fountain to turn the falling water orange, while the Giants celebrated on the field. (I guess I was too busy celebrating to pay much attention to the tv at that point.) Anyway, if that’s true, that was a classy move.

• xoot said, on October 29, 2015 at 7:45 am

actually I guess it was the rising water that went orange–the moment the Giants won. This guy’s cell phone video is pretty good–slide over to the 7 minute mark for the finale. The amateur actually tracked the foul ball up into the night and back down into Pablo’s glove. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wESDvjbWvgk