Gone in a New York Minute?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on October 29, 2015

When I found out that The Mets were going to be off a week before the World Series, the first thing I thought of was *2012 Tigers*. Remember when they tried to run all those simulated games telling everyone that was good enough to keep them sharp? And then they were swept.

And it appears the exact same thing is happening to The 2015 Mets. The only thing I can think of that will save them is a “Hunter Pence” type speech from David Wright.

Otherwise, turn out the lights. And that’s fine with me. I really like the Royals……

1. djloo27 said, on October 29, 2015 at 6:40 am

Wright couldn’t fire up a barbecue. He’s a good guy, leads by example, but he’s low-key, speaks softly and probably doesn’t even curse…

2. zumiee said, on October 29, 2015 at 6:48 am

Yeah, I remember the video footage of the Tigers’ simulated games well. Seeing it calmed me down. The footage showed the Tigers laughing and playing grab-ass with each other. Meanwhile the Giants were still grinding their way through playoff games. It was clear which team would be more ready.

It’s remarkable that only 12 players on the Royals’ 2015 World Series roster were on their ’14 roster vs. the Giants. That’s more change than I had realized.
    Examples are Morales instead of Butler; Rios instead of Aoki; Zobrist instead of Infante; Volquez, Cueto, and Young, instead of Shields, Guthrie, and Vargas; and Hochevar, Medlen, Morales, and Madson, instead of Holland, Collins, Finnegan, and Frasor.

3. wilcojoe said, on October 29, 2015 at 7:05 am

Those were great videos Flav posted from last year…However, take a look back at the Morse home run and in particular Ron Wotus at :47 seconds in. He appears to be chewing out someone in the dugout. I can’t tell which hoody wearing Giant player it is. Anyone else know? Whoever it is, appears to be the only one not celebrating with Morse and his teammates. It kinda looks like Cain but for all I know it could just be a bat boy.

• zumiee said, on October 29, 2015 at 7:27 am

I looked at it a few times. I can’t figure out what’s happening there.

4. zumiee said, on October 29, 2015 at 7:11 am

This is a slideshow that lists the player that is the “least valuable” on each MLB team. The biggest “dead weight,” so to speak.

• snarkk said, on October 29, 2015 at 10:58 pm

Angel Pagan had his “health intact” for most of the year? What kind of BS analysis is that?…

5. willedav said, on October 29, 2015 at 7:47 am

Didn’t something like this (losing first two) happen to Brewers in ’80s–or were they on winning side and then lost it?

• willedav said, on October 29, 2015 at 8:13 am

nah. Brewers won first game 10-0, then led 3-2 before Cards took Series.
      Have to be some instances where team led 2-0 and still lost tho, right?

Watching GS is going to spoil you. Saw some of Minnesota vs. the Kobes last night. He took 24 shots in 29 minutes, making 8 of them. Lot of standing around and one on one ball. Ugh. Pls, last season for #24.

• djloo27 said, on October 29, 2015 at 8:21 am

Well in ’86 the Mets lost the first 2 at home and won the series…

• chipower9 said, on October 29, 2015 at 9:14 am

I heard this morning that 41 of the teams (out of 51) who had a 2-0 lead went on to win the series. So, the odds are stacked against the Mets. Still pulling for the Mets, but it is going to be tough. If they can even the series up over the next two games, they may just stand a chance.

• Lurker John said, on October 29, 2015 at 11:34 am

deGrom imploding in his start did the Mets no favors. They need him and Harvey to be winning their starts.

6. zumiee said, on October 29, 2015 at 8:22 am

The ’96 Braves were the last World Series team to blow a 2-0 game lead; it was vs. the Yankees.

7. zumiee said, on October 29, 2015 at 8:25 am

A team down 2-0 just has a lot of bad math staring at them. They have to win 4 out of 5, obviously, which is a tall order for the Mets.

8. Bozo said, on October 29, 2015 at 8:59 am

It appears that Aubrey Huff is trying to make a comeback. I imagine that this is supposed to be a feel good story, but I found it kind of disturbing. Here it is if y’all want to read it.

9. Macdog said, on October 29, 2015 at 9:09 am

I think there was a comeback from 0-2 in the ’81 Series, though I can’t remember which team…

• zumiee said, on October 29, 2015 at 9:14 am

The Dodgers came back vs. the Yankees. Early on it looked like the Yankees were going to beat the Dodgers yet again. I remember Reggie Jackson muffing a flyball at one point. It seemed like a signature moment in the Series.

• zumiee said, on October 29, 2015 at 9:15 am

I think that was the Series the rookie Welch struck out Reggie in a big AB, but maybe I’m remembering that wrong.

• zumiee said, on October 29, 2015 at 9:16 am

I’m wrong about Welch; that strikeout was in the ’78 Series, which the Yankees won, of course.

• Macdog said, on October 29, 2015 at 9:27 am

Haha, Z, I knew damn well it was the Bums, And in ’78, the Yanks rallied from down 0-2, one of my favorite non-Giants World Series. In the clinching Game 6, Reggie him a bomb off Welch to put the game out of reach.

• zumiee said, on October 29, 2015 at 9:30 am

Yeah, now I remember. There was a little story arc there. Welch struck out Jackson early in the Series in a big moment, and then Reggie got the last laugh later.

10. chipower9 said, on October 29, 2015 at 9:23 am

I just read here that in addition to the Mets coming back from 2-0 to win in ’86, the Royals did the same in ’85.

11. zumiee said, on October 29, 2015 at 9:27 am

The thing I found most positive in the Huff story was that his marriage was saved. That’s nice to hear.
    The other part of the story seems kind of like the end of the Zito baseball story, which can be seen as positive or negative. People will view it differently. We’ll see if Huff can at least get a minor league invitation after playing winter ball. If he makes it through the winter ball season.

• Bozo said, on October 29, 2015 at 10:49 am

Yeah Zum, I thought I had read where she left him, so that is a good thing. I guess what is bugging me is that, if he has gotten his head right, why go back to what may have been a major cause to your breakdown? I’m not in his shoes, so what do I know? Wack is wack I guess.

• zumiee said, on October 29, 2015 at 11:52 am

Yeah, if he really wants to be a part of the baseball world again, he could take a try at coaching. I’m sure the Giants would find him a spot in the minors as a hitting coach or something.

12. pawliekokonuts said, on October 29, 2015 at 11:49 am

Trouble in Toronto. Just read piece in the Toronto Star. They ain’t happy about their GM leaving.

13. chipower9 said, on October 29, 2015 at 12:41 pm

Great video clips from previous thread….playoff and world series spots for the Giants (Uribe with the go-ahead HR against the Phils, Morse’s game-tying HR against the deadbirds, and also Ishi’s HR to clench the pennant). Thanks for the shares.

Here is one from 2012 that is still one of my favorites…love the slo-mo of Theriot’s slide at about the 1:45 mark…

14. xoot said, on October 29, 2015 at 1:23 pm

The way the Giants blasted Verlander in game 1 2012 certainly resembles KC’s mauling of the Mets’ hot shot hard-throwing starters. And Cueto’s great game last night was somewhat comparable to MadBum shutting the Tigers down (7 IP, 2 hits, no runs) in game 2. Long time off is not a good thing. Hell, even if you have no choice but to let Zito start game 1 you’re still better off with momentum in the PS.

• xoot said, on October 29, 2015 at 1:26 pm

The Rockies had an eight-game layoff before the WS started in 2007. Boston swept, of course.

15. unca_chuck said, on October 29, 2015 at 3:13 pm

Love all these videos. Got a FB reminder that we won it all exactly a year ago.

What I love about The Riot is you can hear him yell above the crowd noise. Too cool . . .

• Flavor said, on October 29, 2015 at 4:44 pm

Totally. One of my favorite all time video clips

16. zumiee said, on October 29, 2015 at 5:34 pm

Nightengale’s column today in USA Today, regarding Two-trips taking the Marlins job:

• zumiee said, on October 29, 2015 at 5:36 pm

The Marlins have some talent, but floundered this past season, with a 71-91 record.

17. zumiee said, on October 29, 2015 at 5:43 pm

I recently bought an issue of Baseball America, which I get once in a while at a local Barnes and Noble. It’s an interesting publication. It’s only about 40 pages long, but the pages are almost twice the size of a regular-sized magazine, and the print is pretty small, so the amount of text is actually quite substantial. The magazine mostly deals with the draft, team prospects, and the minor leagues; but also is a sort of trade journal, with the comings and goings of front office staffs in the world of pro baseball. It does a nice job of giving the reader a sense of an MLB team just being the tip of a big organizational pyramid. On the negative side, it’s a reminder of how many players DON’T end up having MLB careers.

• Flavor said, on October 29, 2015 at 6:28 pm

I used to buy BA pubs but I’ve just got a mental block these days on buying anything paper related. I feel like I’m already in the past when I read it, like all of this could have been found with a few clicks days earlier. Another thing I’ve noticed and I don’t know if this is just specific to me or if this is an actual condition I’ve developed. I seem to be unable to read paper text anymore, my eyes race through the paragraphs, it’s almost like I’m skimming it or speed reading but I’m not trying to do it. But I have no problem reading text on a screen.
      Anyone know what this might be?

18. zumiee said, on October 29, 2015 at 8:33 pm

I think I read at around a 50-50 split, paper and screens. I still get a visceral satisfaction reading printed paper. I like the feel and even the smell of it. I read an article that said that most people that read a lot use both formats. But I can totally understand when people prefer using just the technology, and aren’t into paper anymore. As for losing the ability to read printed paper, I don’t know what’s up with that. 🙂

19. snarkk said, on October 29, 2015 at 11:15 pm

Wotus interviewed with the Nats, but Bud Black got the job. Black is supposedly a good manager, but he’s never won anything as a manager — won a ring w/ the Angels as pitching coach in a WSeries that remains unknown to me. 🙂 Wotus appears destined to be a career bench coach…

20. willedav said, on October 30, 2015 at 7:46 am

You guys that have been watching post season—who is better mgr., Yost or Collins?

Feel bad for Wotus, but Nats likely weren’t going for another guy without experience in the job at this level. Nats pitching staff is gonna be way different, and handling pitching seems to be biggest headache for most mgrs. these days.