Careful What You Wish For

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 4, 2015

You have to wonder about Dusty’s desperation to get back into managing. I mean come on, The Nationals? I can see Baker shaking his head some time in June thinking, “I’m too old for this shit.”

Everyone talks about how he manages people and Bonds often gets cited the most often as his gold standard success story in player management. But that was a pretty long time ago, the game has changed and Baker is nearing *old man” territory. Additionally, everyone is different and Harper and Bonds strike me as two pretty polar opposite divas.

I’m not sure what he’s going to do about all the bat tossing, umpiring targeting, tantruming punks that litter their line up. Who knows, maybe they were all just mirroring the temperament of their last jackass manager.

No one questions the talent on the Nats but……

I just don’t think this is the slam dunk everyone else seems to think it is.

1. pawliekokonuts said, on November 4, 2015 at 6:30 am

1. I am older than Dusty, so careful. 2. You’re right. In his absence, the game will have passed Dusty by, as it did Bobby Valentine while he was in Japan and afterward. 3. Didn’t Bonds manage Baker, not vice versa? (Well, didn’t no one manage Bonds, including Sabean and the owners?) Collectively, the Giants, and the rest of baseball and even fans and media, dysfucntionally looked the other way. It was like the real estate boom. Everybody loved it. Everybody. Till it imploded. 4. I am grateful the Giants achieved 3 in 5 in the post-Bonds years.

2. pawliekokonuts said, on November 4, 2015 at 6:32 am

“I’m too old for this shit.” I should put a bumpersticker on my car. (But on the other hand, what’s that mean? I’m free of 9 to 5 and living large. Or at least medium.)

3. willedav said, on November 4, 2015 at 7:06 am

Baker gets more out of his players, imo his biggest strength. Nats had a few guys who way underperformed last year for Williams. Baker can tell if they are worth keeping or not. As to pitching, he’s gonna rely on gut and coaching staff.

Besides, that division is ripe for the taking. Mets LU is gonna take a big hit and pen got exposed, Braves and Phils can still be beat upon regularly, and Marlins are kind of like DBax. They have talent but haven’t figured out how to win yet. Doubt the Wilpons go out and make a splash deal either.

Collins and Maddon ain’t exactly kids either and their teams did fine. A team like this (ready to win right now) is a lot better fit for Baker than one struggling and rebuilding like the Pads, imo.

4. Bozo said, on November 4, 2015 at 7:08 am

Baker wanted another shot and he wasn’t getting it anywhere else. So I don’t fault him for taking the gig. I guess Harper’s tweet on the news can be taken different ways, “Good ol Dusty..Welcome to DC skip! Let’s make some history”. And, despite the organization, I think Dusty gets the Nats to the playoffs this year and maybe next. After that this organization probably goes back to being a bottom feeder and Johnnie B is back in Sactown or working for MLB in some capacity.
    I think this WaPo article lays out how petty and fucked up the Nats organization has been. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pntfbd5

• chipower9 said, on November 4, 2015 at 7:45 am

Nice read, thanks Clown.

5. chipower9 said, on November 4, 2015 at 7:45 am

Yeah, I cannot fault Johnnie B. for taking this gig, but I think the Nats stepped all over their dick when they got into a last-minute quibble with Black. I think Black would have been a great addition. Better than Dusty? Well, that is subjective, but I think Black would have been the better hire.

Everything I have read (including the link shared by John above) indicates that the franchise is a steaming pile of dog shit when you really get a look under the hood. Sixth largest payroll and the talent they have, and then you try to low-ball a very good managerial candidate in Black? It will bite them in the ass…I guarantee it.

I do not, and never have liked the Nats, and I feel sorry for Baker if they continue to piss down their leg, but it will serve them right when they implode over their internal strife (and that day will come).

I see a mess like this and it makes me appreciate what we have (and have had for some time) in our Giants.

6. xoot said, on November 4, 2015 at 7:50 am

Dusty’s a couple years older than I am — he’s got many good years to go. 😉 Under the mlb/union “Joint Drug Agreement” (that’s what it’s called), players and managers don’t get hit too hard for marijuana “abuse.” First, there’s no random testing for such drugs of abuse (as opposed to PEDs). Second, even if a guy gets caught enjoying weed (ah, Lincecum), the only penalty is a fine, which can escalate up to $35,000 for repeat smokers. But who’s gonna enforce that? Most important, the Joint Agreement does not impose suspension for cannabis violations. Maybe Dusty can connect with his young players during discrete post-game meetings in his office. They can take turns choosing the music.

• chipower9 said, on November 4, 2015 at 7:54 am

LMAO…great post, xoot. Burn one for Dusty!

• xoot said, on November 4, 2015 at 10:21 am

As Pawlie might note: “discreet”

• pawliekokonuts said, on November 4, 2015 at 10:39 am

or discrete, if the meetings are many, in varying places 🙂

7. chipower9 said, on November 4, 2015 at 7:56 am

This is more in line with yesterday’s thread. A good read that may lead you to wander out back to the wood shed and grab a few logs for the hot stove…

Let the talk of the nine-digit bids begin…

8. blade3colorado said, on November 4, 2015 at 8:05 am

Too old? Dunno about Dusty. Me? It’s all in your attitude. I know 20 something year olds, who should have 6 feet of dirt shoveled on top of them. All depends on what you “rent” your brain to . . .

By the by, I kept thinking of Twin when I read that – he’s forgotten more then most of us will ever know about baseball.

9. willedav said, on November 4, 2015 at 8:12 am

I can’t stand Nats either, and FO seems whack. I always thought Baker was a cool player even back in his Dodger days…reminded of someone you’d see at Bay Meadows, sharply dressed with a smoke and drink in his hand. I’d read his book too soon as it’s available at local lib.
    And like someone here said, look forward to schooling him in playoffs next year.

Funny but there’s another team in today’s headlines, Clippers that I can’t abide either. Paul and Griffin, fine players, are whiny and out of control. Doc sticks up for them at every instance and seems to be OK with how entire team acts like children. JJ Redick just another in long line of annoying duke players.
    At least they got rid of thug Barnes but I hope Warriors thrash them tonite.
    Maybe Paul gets extra tape on those ankles so he doesn’t wind up on the floor trying to guard Curry.
    Steph’s a human highlight film but that one last year was a classic.

• Flavor said, on November 4, 2015 at 8:45 am

speaking of bad ankles, I don’t have any problem admitting I thought it was a bad idea to sign Steph to his now *MadBum level* deal. The dude could NOT keep his ankles straight. I thought it would be chronic and lead to an underwhelming career, certainly not one worth 40 million dollars.
      And now people are saying he’s a once-a-gen player. Funny how stuff changes……

• chipower9 said, on November 4, 2015 at 9:07 am

Agree whole-heartedly with ya, Craig. I thought the same thing. Just another “swing and miss” on my part. 😉

• gianthead said, on November 4, 2015 at 6:06 pm

I had it was foolish to trade Monta and Curry probably was the one to trade…what an idiot…

• chipower9 said, on November 4, 2015 at 9:09 am

Agree, WillieD. I cannot stand the Clipjob. And it starts with their owner. Steve Ballmer makes me ill. Yeah, I hope the Warriors kick the living dog shit outta the clips.

10. Flavor said, on November 4, 2015 at 8:54 am

Williams was their manager, then their final two managerial choices come down to Black and Baker. FP is in their tv booth. Do the Nats consider anyone other than former Giants?

• chipower9 said, on November 4, 2015 at 9:09 am

Good ovservation, and it does make ya wonder.

• Bozo said, on November 4, 2015 at 9:27 am

Yeah man, maybe they’ll replace Rizzo with Ned Colletti next,

11. djloo27 said, on November 4, 2015 at 9:51 am

Dusty should make little Darren his bench coach. The kid’s seen and heard it all by now…

12. unca_chuck said, on November 4, 2015 at 9:56 am

Dusty will at least instill accountability in the players. Williams never stopped the whining preening and over-the-top bullshit that led to tuning Williams out. Always liked Buddy Black though.

The Nats are fucked from top to bottom, but they have oodles of talent. Their front office is reminiscent of our local football team . . .

• chipower9 said, on November 4, 2015 at 10:43 am

Great analogy, Charlie between the Natty Nat’s FO and that of the Niners. Although, the Nats are certainly better off, as the DO have talent. The Niners…not so much. Fucking Niners are pathetic all the way around. Help us Obi-Wan…help us.

• Bozo said, on November 4, 2015 at 10:56 am

I’m waiting for the 9ers to try Kaep at RB.

13. unca_chuck said, on November 4, 2015 at 11:03 am

He’s too tall. WR maybe. Shit, they need CBs. Try him there. He’s got length and speed.

Funny thing will be when the lead-footed Gabby Gabbertson tries to throw behind our line. Can we score negative points?

Yippee.

• Flavor said, on November 4, 2015 at 11:08 am

Chuck– the only reason I can see them make this change at QB is so he doesn’t get hurt and have to pay him his entire contract. Am I on to something here or do you think it’s something else? Because as I understand it they can cut him before next season and be done with him as long as he’s healthy.

• chipower9 said, on November 4, 2015 at 2:40 pm

I do not think Kaep will be on the team next year. If Gabbert can get them through this season, and perform reasonably well, look for the Niners to go for a QB. I like Goff from Cal or Lynch from Memphis…

• unca_chuck said, on November 4, 2015 at 5:28 pm

Exactly. Baalke is sacrificing Harbaugh’s QB to save his own ass.

What likely happens is Gabbertson shows something against Atlanta’s middling defense and they make the switch permanently. It’ll work until Gabby gets hurt behind that dogshit line. . . .

14. unca_chuck said, on November 4, 2015 at 12:00 pm

Yeah, that’s part if it, Flav. Without entirely knowing their motivation though, it’s hard to say.

If this team was serious about this season, they’d be trying to fix the o line and putting Kaepernick at ease. Like they are saying , they may be benching him for one game and the bye week for a mental break. This came from The team yesterday.

Or, they will simply plant him on the bench til he season ends and release him. Due to the injury clause.

It appears to me the Baalke is throwing Kaepernick under the steamroller to save his own ass. Jed seems to be buying it.

15. xoot said, on November 4, 2015 at 3:40 pm

Kirk Gibson interviewed for the bums mgr job, according to a story I just saw. Please, lard, oh please let the dodgers hire Gibson.

• djloo27 said, on November 4, 2015 at 4:13 pm

Still say Randolph’s the man for them, but if they really want to stir the pot they go hard after Wotus…

• unca_chuck said, on November 4, 2015 at 4:48 pm

Wotus has been turned down so many times, you have to wonder. If anyone, the guy they (or anyone) should go after is Rags.

I’m much more surprised no one has made a push to hire him.

16. alleykat69 said, on November 4, 2015 at 5:56 pm

Yeah Ron Wotus is the Rodney Dangerfield of coaches..
    Hey could be worse,he somehow lands the big gig and bombs, he can still show the team his 3 W/S rings heading out the door..

17. gianthead said, on November 4, 2015 at 6:21 pm

I reported maybe before last season that the Lerner family who owns the Nats are notorious cheapskates and that Wash Post story posted earlier reflects that. I had even predicted to my Nats fan friends two years ago that they would hire Dusty then. Oh well just two years off. I actually am a big fan of Dusty’s. He was my favorite Giant in the 1990s even though he was the manager.

I even yelled out to Dusty when he was with the Cubs at the start of a Nats game at RFK. He turned to look at me even though I was probably 20 rows away and I pointed to my Giants hay and yelled we miss him. He just gave me a shrug as if he was saying “what could I do, I miss it too.” It was a very melancholy look and to me it said his heart was still in SF.

I think this situation with low – balling Bud Black reflects that the Lerner Family is trying to exert control. And when you get owners trying to exert control (hey Nat fans look at Dan Gilbert and the Skins) you’re fucked…

18. xoot said, on November 4, 2015 at 8:44 pm

Curry gets popped with two chickenshit fouls in the first two minutes of tonight’s game and everything changes going forward. That’s absurd. In baseball, a bad ump’s zone can contribute to a high first inning pitch count, but the starter doesn’t sit out the next two innings. In football, the team gets penalized for a player’s foul. Only in basketball do the players get popped personally. (Soccer? I couldn’t care less.) Combine chickenshit foul calls early in the game, like tonight’s dubs game, with the general dullness of an early season NBA game, and you’re looking at a channel changer.

• Flavor said, on November 5, 2015 at 5:38 am

I was telling my buddy the exact same thing last night. We sat down stoked to watch the game. And 2 phantom fouls turn our best player into a ghost on the sideline for the rest of the quarter. So stupid.

19. unca_chuck said, on November 5, 2015 at 10:41 am

Yeah, it ended up being a great game. Problem is, b-ball is the easiest sport to buy off a ref or three.
    The inconsistency in the strike zone is nothing compared to the second by second differences in foul calls. Barnes gets his head nearly taken off with no call and Stevenson fouled himself yesterday and got the call