Just Say No

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 5, 2015

Happy to hear the Giants declined BOTH the options on Aoki and Byrd. Two nice enough players but not nice enough to soak up 13 million dollars next season.

Keep your options open, see what happens. if they don’t get the free agents they start off targeting I’m guessing one or both of them will be around as a back up plan.

And if there’s nothing left to choose from, I’m down with Parker and Kid Specs getting a shot somewhere in the OF.

1. chipower9 said, on November 5, 2015 at 8:11 am

Absolutely agree. 700k to let Aoki walk was a good choice as opposed to picking-up that option.

I have always liked Parra and think he would be a good potential fit. Also, depending on the kind of coin he will demand, I have always like Zobrist, too.

I think Specs definitely makes the club next year as a utility guy, and he has said he is going to work on learning to play the OF in the off-season. Parker will definitely get a look, too.

2. xoot said, on November 5, 2015 at 8:22 am

The only dead weight the Giants carry into the winter is Pagan (unless you doubt Cain and Peavey). Belt’s arb negotiations will be interesting. De Aza’s out there with Aoki and Byrd–worth talking to, but . . . . Panik’s health (details of which we may never hear) could force some decisions. But doesn’t it seem as if the Giants are pooling their $$$$, looking for a pitcher? Meanwhile, how good does if feel to know that your good 3B won’t show up for ST looking like his obese cat?

3. alleykat69 said, on November 5, 2015 at 8:27 am

Nothing wrong about looking into Alex Gordon as our LF lead off hitter ,multiple GG winner,power, speed, just sayin..

• zumiee said, on November 5, 2015 at 8:38 am

Good solid conga-line type of player.

• chipower9 said, on November 5, 2015 at 9:16 am

The only thing I have heard (cannot recall the article in which I read this or else I would share) in regards to Gordon is cost. Money spent on rounding-out the rotation may make signing someone like him or Cespedes a no-go.

4. Carstie Clausen said, on November 5, 2015 at 8:43 am

With the passage of that development referendum and the hacking away of the tortured timber, the Giants are virtually smothered with cash. Talk about keeping your options open! Dropping BOTH Aoki and Byrd was a bit of a stunner, but obviously they have outfield plans. Could be they are aiming high on the mound and will throw a pretty good offer at Leake as he seems hot to trot. But the real intrigue will be how high they wanna go for a #2 starter. Just don’t see taking a Leake in that role.

Speculation is that they will toss an offer at Greinke. If they do, i hope it’s a 3-year deal at maxi money. Something like 3/$110M would force the LaBumbos to go a fiver for $150-$160M. Doubtful whether Greinke could maintain anything vaguely resembling his current excellence till he is well out into his 30’s. I see it as the poison-pill gambit. Price, Cueto, Zimmerman ? Maybe, though Z., like Leake, strikes me more as a #2 and the price may be too high for what that guy is worth. Cueto is intriguing as a #2, but again, even if he is not yet very long in the tooth, a 5 year deal for a piece in the rotation just doesn’t cut it in my book.

Trades could be very intriguing. SF has at least one highly rated spare catcher and a flood of pretty good but not necessarily great pitchers in the pipeline. Some bottom-feeder team may have just the guy we need and in turn will reap the benefits of a much strengthened farm system.

And don’t forget guys like Clayton Blackburn, who after a sluggish start, ultimately pretty much dominated PCL hitters. I see him as a very good #4 and for many teams a more than adequate #3 starter.

• Carstie Clausen said, on November 5, 2015 at 8:45 am

No editing possible on current wp setup, so it should read “Leake strikes me more as a #3”.

• zumiee said, on November 5, 2015 at 9:10 am

I like that strategy on Greinke.

• Flavor said, on November 5, 2015 at 9:16 am

I do too. He won’t sign with us but it’ll make LA have to kick down more dough. Why not?

• chipower9 said, on November 5, 2015 at 9:25 am

Good call on Greinke and making the bums throw more money and years at him.

Question – what if Greinke bit on that offer? How do you feel about paying a guy almost 37 mil per for three years?

• Carstie Clausen said, on November 5, 2015 at 3:00 pm

Greinke would be worth that on a 3 year deal. Only fly in the ointment is that when it comes re-up time for the Undertaker he could well be looking at similar coin. Not that the tightfisted billionaires owning the team couldn’t spring for it. But billionaires always consider the bottom line first.

5. chipower9 said, on November 5, 2015 at 9:19 am

Here is some info on the Giants declining Aoki and Byrd’s options and the way they may go about rounding out LF.

6. Macdog said, on November 5, 2015 at 10:14 am

Looks like the Padres don’t have to go very far to start working on their golf games:

• Bozo said, on November 5, 2015 at 11:59 am

That is funny. I wonder how many folks are going to try and just launch their balls out of the park?

7. willedav said, on November 5, 2015 at 11:35 am

I think Alex Gordon is delusional if he’s after 4-5 at $20 mil. He’ll be 32 in ST, and just hasn’t impressed enough since his break out season years ago. Right now, he’d just be one of many guys on SF with good OB avg. slugging .800 OPS–Panik Belt Posey Duffy Pence plus Crawford very near. B/R had him at 2.8 WAR, below all the others mentioned except Pence and that’s only due to injuries last year.

I’m fine with rookie LF alongside Blanco Pence. Pagan, ugh…hope they aren’t stuck with him.

You know one thing about the big FA offers—if there is an opt out like what Greinke had, deal can be less onerous. Greinke opted out of 3 yrs at $71 mil so he’s after more than that to start with.

• chipower9 said, on November 5, 2015 at 1:05 pm

According to the story I shared above, “The decision to at least temporarily part ways with Aoki, the leadoff hitter for much of the year, leaves Evans and the rest of the front office with additional flexibility. The Giants are planning to have Hunter Pence back in right field on opening day and a healthy Angel Pagan in center, but they can go in a number of different directions in left field.”

Pagan is not going anywhere. There is talk the Giants may look to make some trades, but no way I see another team having interest in Pagan.

8. pawliekokonuts said, on November 5, 2015 at 12:50 pm

LOTS of OFers out there. Lots. (Where’s John Bowker? Michael Morse? just kidding.)

9. Flavor said, on November 5, 2015 at 2:24 pm

I thought this was funny. At least he’s *decent*

#49ers RB Shaun Draugh’s self-scouting report:
    “One cut, get down hill. I can make you miss or run you over. Overall, I’m decent.”

10. snarkk said, on November 5, 2015 at 2:48 pm

I liked Aoki. Before a ball broke his leg, he was all- star at bat, with a high obp. I can live with his periodic brain fart fielding. He helps Blanco play better, too. For 5 or 6 mill, I don’t see the problem…

11. Irish Kevin said, on November 5, 2015 at 3:42 pm

I would bring back Aoki just to push Parker and Williamson. One more year old Pagan…seems like forever to get rid of this guy. He has become quite the whiner at the plate, when calls don’t go his way. Hope Panik has a good Chiropractor in the dugout after games, he is the only real concern for position players.

12. djloo27 said, on November 5, 2015 at 4:15 pm

Ok. Since it’s officially idiotic trade proposal season:

Would you trade Panik and Belt for Harvey and Duda? (Specs becomes F/T 2B)

• Flavor said, on November 5, 2015 at 5:39 pm

The only problem I could see is if all the jizz I shot all over the trade acceptance confirmation smudged out the signatures thus invalidating the deal. Yes, I would do that deal.

• Macdog said, on November 5, 2015 at 6:03 pm

No, because Belt would’ve made the throw.

• giants54 said, on November 5, 2015 at 6:03 pm

In a heart beat. But, of course, Mets laugh heartily.
      Giants could sign Murphy or Zobrist to play 2b and a LFer, since they now don’t need to spend 100million on a stud p.

• willedav said, on November 5, 2015 at 8:50 pm

Only if they take Pagan back.
      Seriously, no.

Duda will not hit 27 HRs at ATT and probably no more than Belt. The OB and defense will suffer at 2 positions.
      Panik is a legit AS, Tomlinson pretty much still a prospect without much experience.
      No telling how many innings Harvey will pitch going forward and Boras is his agent which blows up deal for me.

Giants IF is fine, cheap and high value…zero reason to trade away half of it.
      Plus, if you trade for a Duda, what happens to Posey 2017 +?

• gianthead said, on November 6, 2015 at 4:58 am

Just don’t see Harvey being dealt…but I am not 100% sure on the health of his arm long-term. Panik could be there 10 years manning second base at att…

13. unca_chuck said, on November 5, 2015 at 4:51 pm

List another post to bart

14. djloo27 said, on November 5, 2015 at 9:48 pm

What if it was Specs instead of Panik and Wheeler instead of Harvey?

15. gianthead said, on November 6, 2015 at 5:04 am

I was a little surprised to see both options were not picked up because I thought they would be happy with the cost certainty but I had not realized after not watching much of the last week of the season that Byrd was kept from hitting the minimum at bats. I am surprised the player’s association has not made a stink of it….

But I am still happy with the idea of signing a #2 with a big contract and the staying pat with LF with in-house options and maybe Aoki back for a reduced deal and then making a move via trade over the summer to add a bat…I think Zobrist is going to get overpaid and anyone who plays fantasy should be scared of Alex Gordon. A mediocre AL guy will be a disaster in the NL…