Blaine Gabbert?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 9, 2015

Yesterday’s Niner game was unexpected. It wasn’t just that I thought Gabbert was going to be horrible, because I did think that. What was a shocker was how the NIner defense contained the most productive running back/wide receiver combo in the league. And they did it with back ups and scrubs. Gabbert is going to get more praise than he deserves. He threw some passes that were on time and accurate. We haven’t seen much of that around these parts in a while so that was refreshing. Where did those clean pockets come from? And come on, this is the NFL. No one gets here by accident. Even the worst players are talented……

It got me to wondering, when has a “Gabbert-thing” ever happened to the Giants? When has a good player fallen on hard times and been replaced by someone who I didn’t think was going to be any good but turned out to be good? It’s probably happened at some point. Maybe a closer change?

Did Heston replace Lincecum? I can’t remember. But that would be the closest recent example I can think of that loosely relates to Gabbert replacing Kaep.

Thoughts?

1. pawliekokonuts said, on November 9, 2015 at 6:19 am

Kelby in for Panik.

2. Flavor said, on November 9, 2015 at 6:31 am

nice try Koko. And I know you don’t follow the NIners that closely. At one time, Kaep was very good. Within a system with a supporting cast, he was able to lead them to 2 NFC championships and a SB appearance. Then a quick, dramatic slide ensued. And that’s where your comparison falls short since Panik never sucked, he just got hurt. But Specs works from the standpoint of low expectations and surprising production.

3. pawliekokonuts said, on November 9, 2015 at 6:42 am

Got me. Yes, I’m a Niners fan, admittedly fair weather, but Kaep never seemed the brightest — and I still don’t know how we didn’t beat the Ravens. Go, Warriors! (How’s that?) As for the Giants, I was simply making sure I did not nominate Dan Uggla, for anything.

4. pawliekokonuts said, on November 9, 2015 at 6:43 am

Blaine Gabbert. The name sounds like, what, a poet, a hedge-fund manager, a soap-opera star.

5. willedav said, on November 9, 2015 at 7:10 am

Great headline, I’m sure that’s what everyone around league is thinking…”uh, yeah how do we stop Blaine Gabbert from beating us.”

So crummy as they are Niners have now beaten Falcons and Vikings, 2 teams with 12 Ws btw them.

Raiders, whom everyone is excited about as possible playoff contender, otoh, have 3 of their 4 Ws vs. Balt SD and Cle that are combined 6-19. And after Minnesota next Sunday, their next 2 opponents are Tennessee and Detroit, who have record of 3-13.

As Chuck said end of last thread, schedule does matter.

6. zumiee said, on November 9, 2015 at 7:13 am

McGiggles wasn’t any good for the Giants, but he did have a decent ’14 season. I was pleased the Giants replaced him pretty quickly, but kind of surprised how quickly Duffy nailed down the spot.

7. willedav said, on November 9, 2015 at 7:14 am

Only thing I can think of recently that remotely resembles what flav is talking about– a couple SPs that had decent start or two before fading back into oblivion like Sadowski and Wellemeyer.

8. unca_chuck said, on November 9, 2015 at 7:32 am

A team like Atl, even with their record at 6-3 could miss the playoffs. They lucked into a Couple wins and do not have a very good defense.

Could Kaply have won yesterday? Sure. We’ll never know, but this is a very weird year. There are a LOT of shitty teams. Dallas nearly beat Seattle with Matt Cassel as their QB. GB was riding a cushy schedule til they lost 2 in a row. Teams in the AFC south all have losing records. The fucking Giants lead the NFCEast. At 5-4.

These are new lows In the parity scale. Gabbert made some nice throws, sure. The defense however was off the charts. We have a good d line so stopping the run wasn’t ptoo shocking. Stopping their aerial attack? With 3rd stringers and PS guys? That is flat crazy. I figured 450 in the air.

As far as coaching goes, Good to see Tomsula go for those 4th downs. For all the goombah talk, he was dealt a shit hand and has the short stack.

• willedav said, on November 9, 2015 at 8:20 am

blogosphere not very supportive of ATL coach taking the field goal instead of going for TD from the 2.
      Gabbert and Tomsula 2 for 2 on 4th down gambles.
      See if Niners D can hold beast mode to 12 yds like they did Freeman yesterday.
      Bowman was certainly in beast mode, hope he can continue to inspire D.

9. Bozo said, on November 9, 2015 at 8:05 am

Velez over Durham? (that one is for Unca_Chuck)

I guess Buster was considered a can’t miss, so playing him over Molina probably isn’t close to Gabbert being named the starter. Lofton over Shinjo was a huge upgrade but Kenny was a known CFer…

Romo for Wilson?

10. chipower9 said, on November 9, 2015 at 8:14 am

Catching-up on some of the past posts…

Twin – so sorry to hear about Zeke. Gail and I have four dogs and I can attest to how you become attached to them…hell, they are family members…not pets. Blessings of peace and comfort to you and Merna for your loss.

Paul (in Asia) – Great Richard Thompson show last night. He opened with a short acoustic/solo set that was awesome. The Electric Trio was great. Both the bass player and drummer were superb. The drummer had a quirky unique way, but was mesmerizing to watch (I heard several folks after the show talking about the drummer…and that does not happen often, especially when the leader of the band is the one and only Richard Thompson). They did two encores…the second was three or four songs long. Just a great show all around.

And what a trip…I had told Zumiee about this show, and he and his wife decided to attend. He actually bought his tickets before me, and low and behold Gail’s and my seats were next to Zumiee and his wife’s. It was very cool. We got to chat a bit of baseball between the acoustic set and the Electric Trio.

Anyway…just a bad ass show.

I will have to give some thought to the question in Craig’s thread…I certainly cannot think of one off the top of my head.

• Flavor said, on November 9, 2015 at 9:52 am

lol, you guys sat NEXT to each other? Flap universe strikes again.

• chipower9 said, on November 9, 2015 at 11:23 am

I know…how the fuck could that ever happen in a venue that holds almost 1,000 people. We bought tickets separately and ended up right next to each other. Yes…Flap Universe strikes again. I should have bought a lottery ticket on the way home!

11. djloo27 said, on November 9, 2015 at 9:27 am

Torres over Rowand?

12. xoot said, on November 9, 2015 at 9:46 am

Blanco for Melky.

13. Flavor said, on November 9, 2015 at 9:50 am

twinner— just read your post about Zeke. So sorry for your loss, he sounded like a good ol’ boy.

14. Flavor said, on November 9, 2015 at 9:51 am

Regarding Quinn’s decision to go for it: totally idiotic. Why not try for the TD and if you miss getting it the Niners are stuck on their 1 yard line–almost assuring they would go 3 and out and have to punt giving you great field position. He should get absolutely SKEWERED by the Atlanta fans and media for that dumbass decision.

15. pawliekokonuts said, on November 9, 2015 at 10:35 am

Twin,
    just learning about Zeke. Aw, man. When we put Rosie down, I bawled. I said to the vet, ‘I’ll bet you see more grown men cry than a funeral director.’ He didn’t dispute it. Hugs to you and Merna.

16. alleykat69 said, on November 9, 2015 at 11:38 am

Aubrey Huff at 1st for Travis Ishikawa and are major bust Ryan Garko.. 2010 and Huff came out banging that 1st year especially 1st half…

17. zumiee said, on November 9, 2015 at 11:57 am

As Chi said, awesome Richard Thompson concert, his bass player and drummer were terrific, too; and very cool to have it turn out that our seats were together!

18. zumiee said, on November 9, 2015 at 11:58 am

Regarding BF’s main post, I think, technically, Heston was replacing Cain. I could be wrong on that.

19. Irish Kevin said, on November 9, 2015 at 12:34 pm

Hey Twin, sorry to hear about Zeke, my dog is 13, has hip problems, takes him forever to get up and moving. He still tries to run occasionally but not like he use to.

• unca_chuck said, on November 9, 2015 at 3:02 pm

Yeah, same deal. 13 year old black lab who is wobbly at best. Deaf as a post, and pretty much blind with cataracts.

Still and all, she has overcome 3 bouts with what I thought were her last days . . .

Are you ready for some football?

This is in her younger days . . .

20. chipower9 said, on November 9, 2015 at 12:40 pm

A bit off topic, and not sure it was discussed previously, but regarding the Giants representation in the AFL all star game (Fall Star Game as they call it), Ray Black pitched one shutout inning. Here are the clocking of his pitches:

“Black, ranked as the Giants No. 19 prospect by MLB.com, threw a dominant scoreless inning. Blowing up the radar gun, his eight pitches were: 99, 98, 100, 99, 100, 101, 84, and 99 miles per hour.” (From CSNBA.)

That is some extra sharp cheddar there.

21. alleykat69 said, on November 9, 2015 at 1:31 pm

84??
    What was that pitch his knuckleball?

• unca_chuck said, on November 9, 2015 at 2:59 pm

The eeephus . . .

• djloo27 said, on November 9, 2015 at 4:19 pm

I’ve posted it before but nothing compares to the Folly Floater:

22. Macdog said, on November 9, 2015 at 3:48 pm

Amazing how the Niners could beat the Falcons with their backup QB and the Cowboys couldn’t.

23. snarkk said, on November 9, 2015 at 3:55 pm

I pay attention to the NFL out of habit, not real interest. The product sucks now. Crap teams, penalty every third play, lousy refs, conservative play everywhere when it comes to key game management. I do think this sport at pro level is in slow decline. Much rather watch college Fball. More energy, enthusiasm, unpredictability, just more interesting. Michigan v Ohio State or Bills v Dolphins?…

• Macdog said, on November 9, 2015 at 5:01 pm

Speaking of Michigan: Real classy of Harbaugh vs. Rutgers, going for and getting the 2-pointer vs. Rutgers with a 41-16 lead early in the 3rd quarter.

• djloo27 said, on November 9, 2015 at 5:47 pm

I forgot that it was Otto Graham who called for that last second FG with a 28 point lead.
        I’ve been blaming it on George Allen for almost 50 years…

• Irish Kevin said, on November 9, 2015 at 5:57 pm

Concidering Harbaugh never did that with the Niners, I am surprised he did it with a college team. The last coach that would put a team way/go for the jugular was probably Mariuchi!! Harbaugh was such a whimp when it came to putting teams a way, he was pathetic!

• Macdog said, on November 9, 2015 at 6:26 pm

Loo, here’s what Sam Huff wrote in his book “Controlled Violence”:

“It was fourth down and we were on the Giant 22-yard-line. Timeout was called with seven seconds remaining in the game. While Otto was talking to Sonny, I took it upon myself to get the field-goal unit out on the field. Before Otto or Sonny even realized what had happened, Gogolak kicked a 29-yard field goal to beat the Giants 72-41.”

Then, after citing the Graham quote: “But you have to remember that Otto didn’t make the decision to go for the field goal — I did. Those 72 points that we scored were for all the people who got screwed by Allie Sherman. . . . In my mind, this was retribution day for Allie Sherman and justice was finally mine.”

BTW, the Giants were 1-12-1 that season. Their lone victory? 13-10 over the Redskins.

24. wilcojoe said, on November 9, 2015 at 6:30 pm

Twin, so sorry to hear about Zeke. I am having to decide what to do with my 14 year old basset hound. He has hip issues and is not able to always hold his bladder/bowel yet his appetite and temperament is still great. He doesn’t appear to be in pain, but it’s pretty sad to see him shit on his own bed. A part of me hopes that he will go peacefully in the night, so I am not faced with having to put him down.

• Flavor said, on November 9, 2015 at 7:22 pm

losing animals is the worst. I swore I’d never own another animal after my last cat died back in 2005. Then Katie talked me into taking in 2 homeless cats about 7 years ago. They’re a part of the family now, of course. And in a few years, time to say good bye again. Sucks.

• alleykat69 said, on November 9, 2015 at 8:53 pm

Flavor,
        Good chance you and Katie will get many more years out of your cats.
        My cat Whiskers(black&white with huge whiskers passed away last year but was 20 years old!!And he was a indoor/ outdoor cat that owned my block, literally walking into all my neighbors homes,who didn’t care, cause they all knew him and loved him..

25. pawliekokonuts said, on November 9, 2015 at 7:03 pm

In other news, the Pirates claimed RHP Guido Knudson on waivers from the Tigers.

26. Flavor said, on November 9, 2015 at 7:23 pm

can’t seem to respond to Loo’s floater video. Man, that is hilarious. How often did he throw it?

• xoot said, on November 9, 2015 at 7:31 pm

the guy pitched in the WS and played in the NBA finals. wtf?

27. willedav said, on November 9, 2015 at 8:14 pm

Loo, cool shot of Jurgensen and that arrowhead helmet. Skins were cool in those days of Charley Taylor Bobby Mitchell Jerry Smith. Couple TDs each for Brig Owens and A.D. Whitifeld.

As for Harbs, that one reminds me of “What’s your deal?” when Harbs lit up SC.
    Tho, really Mac, putting the words classy and Rutgers football in same sentence is a bit of reach, no?

28. blade3colorado said, on November 9, 2015 at 8:15 pm

Twin, I just saw this thread . . . So sorry for your loss of Zeke. Loved reading about your Zeke and Mickey posts . . . 😦

29. willedav said, on November 9, 2015 at 8:20 pm

Wow pretty passing sequence–Thompson and Curry each pass up wide open 3s to get the ball to Barbosa who drains a 3 of his own. It’s not about ego ppg or $$$, just nice basketball.

Sorry but Roz has taken over heavyweight crown of most annoying sideline babe. Pls stfu.
    warriors have created a monster…only hope being she goes national network in her self-promo look at me drive.

30. zumiee said, on November 9, 2015 at 9:47 pm

Something tragic and sad has happened to former MLB pitcher Tommy Hanson. He’s in critical condition, in a coma. I couldn’t find any details about the situation.

• zumiee said, on November 10, 2015 at 3:14 am

He passed away. He was 29.