Happy Thanksgiving

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on November 26, 2015

Still thankful for #3in5. Still thankful for the family and friends still in my life. Still thankful for Flappers far and wide.

Enjoy the day, however you choose to enjoy days…..

1. twinfan1 said, on November 26, 2015 at 9:15 am

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you. I’m starting the day by cleaning up my “office” -I always have it out of direct sight.
    “What are you doing back there, Michael?”
    “I’m WORKING, of course” ( as he blows the fried chicken crumbs from in between the keys .)

2. zumiee said, on November 26, 2015 at 9:15 am

Thanks, BF! You too!
    Thank you for the Flap! Sharing this great run of success of the Giants with all you Flappers has added such a huge amount to the experience. I’m very thankful for y’all.

3. willedav said, on November 26, 2015 at 9:44 am

Gad I hate the dumb anthem singers…the gal at Lions game turns the word air (from bursting in air) into 5 syllables. Lions vs. Mark Sanchez, epic match up.

As for Lincecum, Giants paid him $35mil last 2 yrs. I’d argue Hudson was way more valuable than that. If he leaves and has his health, both he and Giants should survive quite nicely.

Cold and clear in bay area tho our idea of cold is 50s in daytime. It is quite nice just to be here,

Enjoy, everyone

• snarkk said, on November 26, 2015 at 10:00 am

I’ll give you that, willied.
      But to me, 10 years from now Huddy won’t mean much more than bupkis regarding the Giants SF historical arc, whereas Lincecum will be right at the top…

• willedav said, on November 26, 2015 at 10:30 am

Definitely true…multiple cys, no nos f-yeahs and blowing away hitters.
        I’d prefer those memories over seeing him again in Giants uni with yet another comeback attempt.

4. ewisco said, on November 26, 2015 at 10:46 am

Merry thanksgiving. with family outside Portland. fun drive through various storms Tuesday. beautiful today though.

5. Bozo said, on November 26, 2015 at 10:59 am

Cheers everyone. Hopefully it’s a good day and a great offseason for all y’all.

6. eddacker said, on November 26, 2015 at 11:11 am

Thanks 2 the flap & flappers everywhere . Also very blessed to be in the beautiful SF bay area again. Thanks oh precious blessed one for baseball and family.
    Slow hot stove but hot get togethers today. Spent my morning catching up with all the baseball blogs, prospects, rumors and news. Very enjoyable!
    now off to the in-laws and other friends and family after dinner.

7. snarkk said, on November 26, 2015 at 11:18 am

Alright, here’s the lineup. And, there’s no Johnnie LeMaster in this one. Have a great holiday!

Thanksgiving Celebration

Appetizers:

Quebec-style traditional game/meat pie triangles (from Canuck guests)
    Assorted American cheeses plate with crackers and garnish

Beverages

Cocktails of choice
    Martinelli’s Sparkling Apple Juice
    Russian River Pinot Noir (choice tbd)
    Alsatian Pinot Gris (choice tbd)
    Sparkling water

Main Meal

Hot crescent rolls with parsley butter
    Garlic mashed Yukon Gold potatoes
    Fall gathering of creamed pearl onions and Blue Lake green beans
    Turkey gravy with hints of sage
    Oven-roasted butternut squash and sweet potato milieu with bourbon/thyme/rosemary glaze
    Traditional, home-made fresh orange & cranberry relish (Gramma snarkk salute)
    Mrs. snarkk’s traditional Midwest ham and chestnut savory dressing
    Red Kale and mixed greens sauted in garlic butter (in case Pence shows up)
    Brined and apple-wood smoked 16-pound Diestel turkey

Desserts

Harvest Pumpkin Pie
    Quebec-style Canadian Maple Sugar Pie
    Fresh whipped cream topping for pies
    Lemon Bars with powdered sugar dusting
    Decaf Coffee
    Laphroaig (10 year)
    Graham’s Tawny (10 year)
    Alka Seltzer

• twinfan1 said, on November 26, 2015 at 11:28 am

Sounds great. I was going to make a traditional holiday dinner but i just don’t feel like it- Marie Callender meat loaf dinner tonight.

• snarkk said, on November 26, 2015 at 11:42 am

I love Marie Callender meat loaf. That and a glass of zin would take a lot less work, and be satisfying, too. I cheat on the smoked turkey. I’ll only smoke it starting noon to around 2:30 or 3. Then I pop it into a 475 oven for about 45 minutes, then tone down to 350 for about 2 hours or until the thermometer hits 160 or so. I always thought you had to roast the bird half the day in the oven to get it done. Then I read a recipe a few years ago by Alton Brown on Foodnetwork.com. He really hits the bird hard with HIGH heat early, then backs off. I figured it wouldn’t work, but it really does, even for a fairly good sized bird. The meat comes out tender and juicy. Brining it this morning for a few hours also helps. The short smoking time does gives the meat a nice hint of smoke, without me having to tend it all day…

8. xoot said, on November 26, 2015 at 12:30 pm

damn I have a bad hangover today

9. zumiee said, on November 26, 2015 at 2:50 pm

Dallas getting crushed…..cool!

• Flavor said, on November 26, 2015 at 2:57 pm

tony romo is so freaking overrated.

• twinfan1 said, on November 26, 2015 at 4:26 pm

The question is not if he’ll choke-it’s when.

10. Paul Sorensen said, on November 26, 2015 at 7:43 pm

Damn, you guys are killing me with your mouth-watering descriptions of your dinners there… Tom, that sounds amazing. With Thanksgiving being strictly an American holiday, it’s not mentioned much over here (unlike Christmas, which is celebrated wildly); some of the 5-star hotels might include turkey in their usual buffet dinners, but way too crowded and expensive for me. My students are all on an industry visit trip to Singapore (I’ll join them Sunday/Monday for graduation there), so I escaped from Saigon city to come to Vung Tau, my fav little beach get-away an hour’s boat ride down the Saigon River to the coast. T-giving is over here now on Friday morning, but last night I did find a French bistro that had no turkey on the menu but a nice baked chicken and stuffed crepes, washed down with a glass of local red (right up there with 2 Buck Chuck). So, while I don’t really have Thanksgivings “over here”, I remain ever thankful for so many things and so many people, including all of my compadres in Flap Universe. Stay alive, stay happy….

11. Macdog said, on November 26, 2015 at 8:23 pm

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! An awesome day of football, and then little Monmouth U., the team that stunned UCLA at Pauley, taking down the #17 Notre Dame in hoops.