Brilliant Financial Angle or Foolish Scheme?

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 1, 2015

So my buddy Keith has an idea: buy up a block of tickets to the Warriors/Sacto game on December 28th and then re-sell them for a fat profit IF Golden State makes it to that game with the record on the line (that would be their 34th regular season win in a row).

We looked around online yesterday and most of the reasonably priced tickets were in the 3-4 hundred dollar range. So that’s a fair amount of cheddar to float out there in the hopes that the Warriors are still undefeated on Dec 28th. At the end of the day yesterday, he was still unsure of what to do.

Here’s the text I sent him yesterday. The first part is me telling him I was going to be late to work, then he’s at Safeway offering to get me something followed by my snarky response. And then I send him the “don’t buy the tix” text.

keithtext

For the entire 2nd half and until about 30 seconds left to go in the game, I marveled at how prescient that text was and hoped he’d heeded my warning……

And then the Warriors do what they always do. Win.

It can’t be this easy, can it? I continue to be obsessed with what they’re doing this year. We are all human. Perfection isn’t possible. Well, that’s not really  true. You can be perfect for a while. We’re all perfect at living until that day we die, right? I don’t see what Golden State is doing as *chasing* anything. It’s really more like they’re just in lock step with perfection.

It’s fun to watch…..

1. chipower9 said, on December 1, 2015 at 8:06 am

I have not followed the NBA closely for some time, because I just could not stand the brand of ball most teams were playing. Throw the ball into the post, maybe a pass or two out and back, back down the D, and take a shitty shot. Literally no ball movement….just boring as hell in MOST instances…the exception being the team the Warriors have put together these past couple of years (and perhaps the Spurs and a few others).

I picked-up the game late last night, and as you say Craig, just amazing what they do. Curry was money and Green continues to amaze. This team plays a brand that is fun to watch, and they are more the exception than the rule.

No way I would throw down big coin on a bunch of tickets hoping to make a windfall later. I hope they prove me wrong, but it will be quite the monumentous chore to break the record of 34.

2. willedav said, on December 1, 2015 at 8:07 am

Your buddy wants to be full time scalper? And he expects to have customers drop $4-500 to watch the Kings?

Warriors depth lately has been showcased—they are getting good minutes out of Speights, Rush, Barbosa and Clark, with 4 3s last night. This won’t always happen, but it’s guys being ready and doing what they can to help team win without being stupid and selfish, ultimate concept. And the 2 headed C spot is very solid.

Utah coach sticks up for his player (who’d watched curry knock down 3 3s in last 6 minutes) and defends last shot, but that entire sequence was well defended and broke down. Favors inside would have been a lot tougher to defend and he had just knocked down 2 FTS earlier. Instead ball was out 25 ft as clock is winding down.
    Good ballgame tho. Utah is tough, esp inside.

Jazz had cool players even before Stockton got there. Dantley and Bernard King was great matchup to watch as neither could stop the other one, plus Darrell Griffith from the ‘Ville and speedy Ricky Green.

• Flavor said, on December 1, 2015 at 8:11 am

Well, the fans would be there to be part of the record, not to watch kings. And there were MANY tix already well over $1000, courtside as high as 8k. I think some people are on to this idea but there’s obviously risk involved.

3. unca_chuck said, on December 1, 2015 at 9:05 am

If they make it through this 7-game roadie intact, They’d have a decent shot. The biggest obstacle of course, being the Christmas game vs Bron Bron. They could very well lose the game right before the Kings game.

4. unca_chuck said, on December 1, 2015 at 9:07 am

What is curious is the schedule-makers seem to hammer the Dubs. They have the most back-to-back games in the league, plus this insane 7 road games in 12 days stretch.

5. zumiee said, on December 1, 2015 at 9:17 am

I saw this list of free agent starting pitchers online. A reminder of who’s available, with their age listed.

Bronson Arroyo (39)
    Eric Stults (36)
    Ryan Vogelsong (38)
    Randy Wolf (39)
    Jerome Williams (34)
    Chris Young (37)

• zumiee said, on December 1, 2015 at 9:19 am

Randy Wolf is still playing? Who knew?

• djloo27 said, on December 1, 2015 at 9:23 am

Timmy can’t be 32…

• Bozo said, on December 1, 2015 at 10:17 am

For the hell of it, I checked out some of the old guy’s stats and I gotta say, Mark Buehrle logging in with almost 3,300 innings (16 years) was impressive to me. The dude is 37 and he still went 200 innings last year (OK, 198.2) with 4 complete games and a 15 – 8 record.
      That has to be one tired arm that someone will probably pay $10 mil for next year.

• Macdog said, on December 1, 2015 at 10:26 am

Bud Norris signed with the Braves last week, so he’s out.

6. Macdog said, on December 1, 2015 at 9:23 am

Since I despise ticket scalpers, I hope your buddy buys the tix and then the Warriors lose before they get to Sacto.

• willedav said, on December 1, 2015 at 10:00 am

Agreed, one of lower life forms. I’m sure scammers all over Golden State tickets with high mark up.

Btw, zero defense for Pac 12 mens b-ball.

Yes, SC is bottom feeder but no excuse for losing to Monmouth (somewhere Ed Halicki is smiling). They are coached by the guy from Florida Gulf Coast who made great Tourney run couple years ago. You would think he could recruit guys to Spoiled Children good enough to beat D-11 team.
      UCLA Stanford and Cal all lost twice. UCLA and the Alfords got blown out by Kansas, Cards lost to St. Mary’s and Cal blew 15 pt second half lead to SD St then gave up 94 points to Richmond Spiders.
      AZ had to go OT to beat Santa Clara (shades of Lute vs. Steve Nash) and then lost to Providence Friars.
      AZ st. scheduled home game vs. Santa Barbara and then had to strain to win by 2.

Only way to go is up…see who has it in them.

• Macdog said, on December 1, 2015 at 10:23 am

Hey, MU got a vote in AP poll and 5 in USA Today Coaches poll. They have three games with their own level before at Georgetown next Tuesday. Also, have you seen the antics from their bench players? Funny stuff, though I wonder what their opponents think of it.

• willedav said, on December 1, 2015 at 10:54 am

yeah Mac that’s pretty cool. who honestly gives an f about bench stuff?

Saw D Hurley got upset after getting blown out because opposing coach called a TO to get walk ons in at end of game, one of whom drained a 3. So Hurley is cussing out their players as he’s going through handshake line.

Also saw Rutgers finally cleaned house, way overdue. Funny that the kid the coach went to prof over (after being warned by school) got thrown out after being arrested on multiple charges.

• willedav said, on December 1, 2015 at 10:58 am

In his infinite wisdom Alford scheduled Kentucky, I think Thursday. One of few times I’ll be rooting against the league—hope Cats beat him by 40. His kid PG is supremely annoying too, what a surprise.

Nova vs. St. Joseph’s today, classic Big 5 Philly matchup. Where does Nova get all these guards that can shoot?

• Macdog said, on December 1, 2015 at 11:10 am

Remember last year Kentucky won by 41, and led 41-7 at half.

7. zumiee said, on December 1, 2015 at 11:48 am

Yeah, Loo, Timmy doesn’t turn 32 until next June.
    He does seem like an “old” 31, though.

8. alleykat69 said, on December 1, 2015 at 12:30 pm

Matt Cain is actually younger then Timmy by 4 months, but now both at 31 have a lot of wear&tear and you have to wonder how much longer they can go?Freakin 31? and done? Yikes hope not, but time will tell..

9. Macdog said, on December 1, 2015 at 2:01 pm

Looks like David Price to the Red Sox, 7Y/$217M.

• chipower9 said, on December 1, 2015 at 2:18 pm

Glad it is them and their coin and not our Giants…

• zumiee said, on December 1, 2015 at 3:25 pm

Yeah, for whatever reason, Price doesn’t excite me. He’s been a dud in the playoffs.

10. unca_chuck said, on December 1, 2015 at 2:54 pm

BR says its down to the Giants or Dodgers for Grienke.

If anything we are driving up his contract.

Hey, maybe he’ll take less money for a shot at a ring.

I know. And pigs will fly.

11. unca_chuck said, on December 1, 2015 at 2:57 pm

Oops it was bob nightingale of USA Today.

12. Macdog said, on December 1, 2015 at 3:05 pm

Lakers at Philly tonight. I wonder who’ll shoot more airballs: The Sixers or Kobe.

• zumiee said, on December 1, 2015 at 3:30 pm

To quote somebody: “The movable object meets the stoppable force.”

13. zumiee said, on December 1, 2015 at 3:32 pm

Come on, Giants. Give the fans a Greinke for the holidays.

• djloo27 said, on December 1, 2015 at 3:40 pm

Can’t see the Giants paying over $200 million for anyone, ever…

• Flavor said, on December 1, 2015 at 3:53 pm

Exactly. And the Giants aren’t cheap. But they aren’t stupid either.

14. Flavor said, on December 1, 2015 at 3:39 pm

Starting to feel like I did last off season– relieved when we DIDNT get the guy. How’d Pablo work out for the Red Sox? Lqtm. All I gotta say is “more cow Bell and MORE BLACKBURN!!!!!”

15. unca_chuck said, on December 1, 2015 at 4:06 pm

Jesus. Boston is throwing good money after bad. They are still going nowhere fast.

16. Carstie Clausen said, on December 1, 2015 at 4:45 pm

So at $31M per year over 7, the price was right for Dombrowski and Sox ownership. Will Price still be right up there even after five years? That in itself is a gamble. I still like the idea, though, of SF shooting an offer at Greinke at $110M for 3 years. That’s $36.6M per year, which on a yearly basis would top MLB. Mutual option clause.

So in order to get Greinke back, the LaLaLanders would be looking at somewhere in the neighborhood of five at $175M. The price would be one hella lotta butts in the seats at the Latrine.

17. zumiee said, on December 1, 2015 at 4:50 pm

The reason I’m big on signing Greinke is that the Posey/Bum window is still open NOW. Getting Greinke practically guarantees winning the division title next season.

• Flavor said, on December 1, 2015 at 5:21 pm

agreed that window is still open. I just think they’d be more likely to add a Smardjdjdjdjddgge and a now-taken Zimm before they get a Grienke. Can’t see them going 31 million+ yearly with him or anyone…….

18. Bozo said, on December 1, 2015 at 5:58 pm

I still think that after loading up their 40 man with kids they didn’t want to lose via the rule 5 draft, the Giants have a trade in mind before they go after a FA. Right now they have 25 Pitchers, 4 Catchers, 5 OFers and 6 INFers (counting Mr Ehire Outtaoptions) on the roster.
    Need to make some room.

• blade3colorado said, on December 1, 2015 at 7:47 pm

My thoughts too clown. No way the Giants are going to give any pitcher not named Cy or Clayton $200 plus gazillion dollars. Red Sox = idiots IMO.

Giants need to trade for a good young pitcher, who still has a couple of controllable contract years.

19. Irish Kevin said, on December 1, 2015 at 6:14 pm

Have not been reading much baseball news, so sorry if this has already been discussed. The Giants signed a minor league deal for a 29 year old injury prone outfielder/1st baseman? Kyle Blanks? Seriously?

• Flavor said, on December 1, 2015 at 6:39 pm

he’s got power, he’s still relatively young and if he ever stays healthy he would be a solid platoon player in the OF or at 1st base. Who do you want to see signed to minor league deals? lol

• Irish Kevin said, on December 1, 2015 at 6:53 pm

Ha Ha yes you noticed I actually read that it was a minor league contract. But my thought was they are ready platoon Buster and Belt. And the Giants had a health outfielder in Aoki. Just my crazy thoughts.

• Flavor said, on December 1, 2015 at 7:01 pm

your thoughts aren’t crazy. Your trades are crazy. 🙂

• chipower9 said, on December 2, 2015 at 8:11 am

While I have heard that Belt is progressing nicely re: his concussion issues, there has been nothing definitive in the press (that I have seen). So, no guarantees that Belt is going to be servicable for any given amount of time. I liked the signing of Blanks…low risk, potentially high payoff…roll the dice!

20. djloo27 said, on December 1, 2015 at 6:58 pm

Is the Lollogram coming back?

• Flavor said, on December 1, 2015 at 7:02 pm

Was he ever actually here? That’s the question that should keep you up tonight, Loo. If your soul can even bare to entertain it.

• djloo27 said, on December 1, 2015 at 7:19 pm

The box scores say he was. I have my doubts.
        Everything else in the universe seems so trivial right now…

21. gianthead said, on December 1, 2015 at 7:19 pm

Well the market for starting pitchers has been set now with the Price deal…. $31 per year for David Price??? OK maybe for 3-4 years…but so glad the Red Sox exist to now save us on two deals.

But now the market price is $31 a year to nab Greinke. I thought a 6 deal for $150 million for Greinke would be where I would go. But instead of 6 years, that will only get you 5 years. So I would not be surprised if Greinke is looking at $180 for 6 as the floor and I would fully expect the Dodgers are willing to go to 7 years and $210. And I don’t want the Giants going there…

Smardijam come on down…that should leave money on the table for a Leake. Then I see who can come out of spring training between Heston and Peavy as the #5 or start shopping Heston for a young LF….

• Flavor said, on December 1, 2015 at 7:36 pm

keep Heston. I’m not really sold on him and if I’m not sold on him his trade value is probably limited. Plus, we need starting pitchers. Badly. Blackburn will get a shot and I’m still pissed they never gave him a start in September.

• gianthead said, on December 1, 2015 at 7:49 pm

Blackburn is the absolute no trade guy. I would think maybe a Marlins or even Astros would be happy to have a Heston and probably each have some solid prospects to make a deal. I am not looking for an all-star but a diamond in the rough. But having him and Peavy battling for the fifth spot is good with me…

• gianthead said, on December 1, 2015 at 7:52 pm

And I am willing to go $160 mill for 5 years for Greinke if that gives him the highest per year contract…

• blade3colorado said, on December 1, 2015 at 7:52 pm

GH, I said a few weeks ago that Heston may not be on the opening day roster. He was running on fumes in August and September.

• blade3colorado said, on December 1, 2015 at 7:56 pm

Newsflash GH – right now, Peavy’s your #2.

• gianthead said, on December 1, 2015 at 8:20 pm

Ouch….why I have been saying since Sept that Greinke was a must…but there has to be a ceiling…

22. djloo27 said, on December 1, 2015 at 8:06 pm

Could Petit still wind up in the rotation?

• chipower9 said, on December 2, 2015 at 8:14 am

IMO, no. But fuck, I have been wrong before! 😉

23. blade3colorado said, on December 1, 2015 at 8:11 pm

I’m not certain, but didn’t Kershaw sign a seven-year extension last yeat with the Dodgers for $215 million? “Winless 0-7” Price will get more than that. Now, that’s hilarious. 🙂

• djloo27 said, on December 1, 2015 at 8:36 pm

The Price Is Wrong…

• blade3colorado said, on December 1, 2015 at 8:50 pm

Good one. Lulz

24. blade3colorado said, on December 1, 2015 at 8:25 pm

I still think Belt gets traded. Incredulously, I understand the Marlins may deal their ace, Jose Fernandez. I wonder what it would take to pry him loose? Obviously, they wouldn’t want Belt, with Stanton on their roster. Dream on Steve . . .

• djloo27 said, on December 1, 2015 at 8:37 pm

I do too, Blade. Wilco had an interesting proposal involving the Astros.
      I don’t remember what it was…

25. xoot said, on December 1, 2015 at 8:29 pm

the FA system is out of balance. Greinke opted out of a contract that would’ve paid him what, $25M next year? Then the bums made him a qualifying offer of $15.8M to switch on the draft pick compensation machine? I wonder if even Greinke is worth a sandwich round draft pick these days. Who was it who said Sabean’s hot stove doesn’t cool off until August?

• blade3colorado said, on December 1, 2015 at 8:42 pm

Ironically Xoot, the players are actually getting jobbed by the owners (which I hate to admit). The payers’ share of revenue since 2003 has dropped by an estimated 13 to 16 percent. This FG article does a good job explaining specifics.

• xoot said, on December 1, 2015 at 8:43 pm

I must be distracted. The Giants would lose their first round pick (I believe).

• xoot said, on December 1, 2015 at 9:11 pm

Professor Grow’s good. I actually exchanged some email with him back when the San Jose antitrust case against mlb got going. Grow’s a true baseball/a-t expert. But in this piece I don’t much like the way he compared the NBA and mlb. NBA’s unusual — mostly guaranteed contracts, like mlb’s post arb contracts, but entirely different injury risks. (What’s the NBA equivalent of a pitcher, of a trip to the OR for TJ surgery?) And NBA rosters are small. Baseball rosters spread the money in astoundingly uneven ways. Watching Zito and Rowand watch the 2010 PS from the dugout astounded me. On the other hand, seems to me Grow’s right that the mlb luxury tax is really a de facto salary cap. I think mlb and the union need to squeeze teams like Oakland in the upcoming CBA negotiations — pump them full of money from successful teams like the Giants and dodgers et al, but force them to spend it on players. So a salary floor makes a lot of sense. But I can’t imagine a world where all mlb team salaries are within 10% of each other, as in the NBA (according to Grow, who’s reliable).

26. giants54 said, on December 1, 2015 at 9:35 pm

Will be interesting to see what Bumgarner gets in 2020 at age 30 if he’s still going strong.

• chipower9 said, on December 2, 2015 at 8:22 am

I think he gets a new deal before that happens. 2018 and 2019 are club option years at 12 mil. 2018 option is guaranteed with 200 IP in 2017 or 400 IP in 2016-17. Those options increase to $14M with top 3 finish in Cy Young vote 2012-17 or to $16M with Cy Young award 2012-17. Bum was 4th in 2014 (highest to date) and 6th last year.

• giants54 said, on December 2, 2015 at 10:04 am

Do you give him $200m?

• chipower9 said, on December 2, 2015 at 10:24 am

I don’t see it…even if they tore-up the contract now and gave him 7 years…

What do you think?

27. snarkk said, on December 1, 2015 at 11:05 pm

Bonds becoming hitting coach for Marlins?
    Why would Barry go to Miami, it’s not like they’ve got lots of PEDs in that town..

28. willedav said, on December 2, 2015 at 7:31 am

Stros supposedly shopping the Marisnick kid, who most project to be dang good defensive CF who can steal a bag. Did not hit much over there. They have a hole at 1b and tons of prospects in system.
    Sounds like perfect storm for a Belt deal.

As for driving up price on Greinke, that’s only an issue for bean counters. If LA gets him back that’s gonna hurt SF no matter what they pay the guy. He and OP at top of rotation certainly trumps Bum and anyone in SF uni.
    having to face him 4-5 times a season not gonna be good.

Um, Kobe, how’s the farewell tour going? Lotta love from Philly fans and hits 3 early 3s only to wind up 7 for 26 from the floor as Sixers get first W at Lakers expense. Hope Jenkins is right and he just bales at AS break.
    Maybe Scott does not have any say and Kobe gets to do what he wants but his numbers are appalling and obviously not doing much to help the team.

29. chipower9 said, on December 2, 2015 at 8:25 am

Fuck it. I say give me Grienke at 5/160. As GH alluded earlier, he gets the new top coin per year for a starter.

If not that, give me Smardja (or how the fuck ever you spell his name), and Leake for about the same coin.

I know the 40 is loaded with young arms, so as Blade and the Clown have said, maybe a trade is in the winds.

I just want to see the Giants do SOMETHING that proves they are serious about FOUR in SEVEN.

Giddy the fuck up…let’s see some action!

• zumiee said, on December 2, 2015 at 9:20 am

I hear ya! I want the MLB At Bat app on my phone to ding today with the news that the Giants have signed Greinke. Make it happen, Giants!

30. willedav said, on December 2, 2015 at 8:38 am

MacCoveyChron guy has column on 3 guys he thinks would be worst FA SPs for the giants–Cueto Kennedy and eye chart (samardzjia).
    As usual for me, the comments underneath (ton of them, mostly short) more interesting than what he has to say, especially on eye chart whom I never liked, but good read nonetheless.

• djloo27 said, on December 2, 2015 at 10:33 am

Do you remember the original player nicknamed “Eye Chart”?

31. Macdog said, on December 2, 2015 at 10:04 am

Aoki going to Mariners.

32. unca_chuck said, on December 2, 2015 at 10:21 am

Smartypants and Leake would work for me. 2 for 1 . . . Sure it would be great to get Greinke, but the whole eggs/basket thing has me thinking 2 decent guys for the price of one stud would be more prudent.

33. unca_chuck said, on December 2, 2015 at 10:24 am

Cu(n)rt Schilling is reporting that the Red Sox are talking to Greinke as well.

Would love to see that, seeing how this strategy worked out for them recently (not).

34. unca_chuck said, on December 2, 2015 at 10:55 am

Trumbo to the O’s.

35. pawliekokonuts said, on December 2, 2015 at 12:19 pm

Blade, are you back in Amerika, comrade?