Waiting……

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 3, 2015

Supposedly, Grienke is deciding between the Giants and the Art Dealers. I think we know which way this will go.

One thing I don’t like about Giants management: they don’t seem to multi-task very well. Just as it happened last off season, they tunnel-vision on one guy, don’t get him, and then lose out on a bunch of other players too (who they could have signed while negotiating with their #1 target).

That’s an approach I’d expect from a poor, small market team.

1. willedav said, on December 3, 2015 at 7:12 am

Well, another thing about Giants mgmt. would be the money that gets wasted on those simply unable to perform adequately. And exhibits A and B last 2 years would be Cain and Lincecum, paid a combined $75 mil.

Cain last year gave up 10.5 hits a game with a 1.5 WHIP and an ERA of 5.79.
    Lincecum had a WHIP of 1.48 gave up 8.8 hits and 4.5 BB a game with ERA of 4.13.
    Previous year neither of above could get ERA under 4.00, tho Lincecum at least made 25 starts.

A full year out of Kazmir Leake or Samardz would likely give you more Ws than team got out of both combined, at half the cost.

• zumiee said, on December 3, 2015 at 7:22 am

I don’t see that money as wasted. I see that money as a ‘thank you’ to those two guys for being the Founding Fathers of these glory years for the Giants. ๐Ÿ™‚

• xoot said, on December 3, 2015 at 12:24 pm

Lincecum earned $1 million TOTAL for 2008-09, his CY seasons, and $.9 million for his heroic efforts in 2010–which ended with the team raising him high above the Texas field on Nov. 1. He’s earned a lot of the money he’s been paid since while it was rolling in, but he earned most of it in the early low-ball years. That’s fine with me.

2. wilcojoe said, on December 3, 2015 at 7:24 am

Flav, what do you think are the chances that Stanford makes the final four? I personally would hate to see any two loss team make it, but I think we see at least two of the current top 4 go down this weekend. I see Clemson and Iowa both losing. That would get Michigan State in and leave open one spot. No way does North Carolina make it, but they would get my vote over a two loss team. I would hate to see two Big Ten teams make it but I think Ohio State gets the last spot if my prediction comes true.

3. zumiee said, on December 3, 2015 at 7:28 am

Greinke, Greinke, Greinke….
    Come on, Giants; amaze us and get this dude. ๐Ÿ™‚

4. unca_chuck said, on December 3, 2015 at 7:29 am

Well we’ve been linked to Zobrist eye chart Miller and others. Not that that means bupkus, but yeah.

Waiting. As usual don’t hold your breath. I don’t think Sabes changes his stripes at this point.

• zumiee said, on December 3, 2015 at 7:33 am

Yeah, the Giants have become great at finishing second in these bidding wars.

5. djloo27 said, on December 3, 2015 at 7:43 am

I have a good feeling about Kazmir if the money isn’t too stupid.

• wilcojoe said, on December 3, 2015 at 7:53 am

Kazmir looked washed up after the trade to Houston and the ballpark really wasn’t a factor. I don’t trust the guy. He was playing independent ball a few years ago and then re-found his game. I would be very weary of him at this point in his career.

6. wilcojoe said, on December 3, 2015 at 7:59 am

WillieD mentioned the Stros dangling Marisnick. I really like him. Plays stellar center field, has great speed and always plays hard. Offensively he reminds me a lot of Brandon Crawford. His power will only get better but I doubt he will ever be more than a .260 type hitter. But the defense and speed would be a huge upgrade over Pagan and Blanco.

• blade3colorado said, on December 3, 2015 at 8:36 am

Agree with your take WJ . . . In fact, I would rate Marisnick as the #2 defensive CF in all of baseball, after Kevin Kiermaier. His stats will not reveal that because he doesn’t play as much as other CFs (outside of this season, where he did play more). No one can touch Kiermaier throwing, but Marisnick didn’t do bad . . .

Outfielders Who Threw 100 MPH
      Dariel Alvarez 1
      Leonys Martin 1
      Michael Taylor 1
      Starling Marte 1
      Yasiel Puig 1
      SOURCE: MLB Statcast

Too bad his hitting isn’t commensurate with his defense.

• snarkk said, on December 3, 2015 at 8:51 am

Blade – what does this mean? They’re putting jugs guns on every outfielders’ throws now, so every throw anywhere is measured?

• Macdog said, on December 3, 2015 at 8:56 am

Outfielders Who Threw 100 MPH? Can any of ’em pitch?

• unca_chuck said, on December 3, 2015 at 9:00 am

Yeah, that’s an odd stat. I’d rather see assists. thrpowing hard doens’t mean much if you aren’t hitting your targets.

I see Keirmeier had 15 assists, so he’s cool, but beyond the fact I’ve never heard of the guy, I was too lazy to cross-ref the hard throwers with the assist leaders and then with who’s available, how they hit, yadda yadda yadda. . . .

• snarkk said, on December 3, 2015 at 9:02 am

Maybe they can throw 100 mph, but the throw is offline by 10 feet. I could be wrong, but it seems my observation that most outfielders can’t hit the broadside of a barn when they throw to home these days…

• blade3colorado said, on December 3, 2015 at 10:23 am

To all – Check with WJ – this kid can play defense.

7. alleykat69 said, on December 3, 2015 at 8:27 am

Mike Murphy needs to get his crew working 24/7 to disinfect the bathrooms and Clubhouse and that might be the deal breaker for Grienke!

8. Flavor said, on December 3, 2015 at 8:36 am

Wilco– the Pac 12 got 9 teams bowl eligible. That is incredible. You basically need to win almost all your non-conference games for that to happen. And they aren’t scheduling the “Eastern Bowling Green’s” of the world the way the joke-SEC does. I don’t think Stanford is going to make it but if they did they would be totally deserving, IMO.

• snarkk said, on December 3, 2015 at 8:48 am

SEC has done a great job building itself up as a conference with a PR machine, nicely avoiding the truth that the top tier teams load up early and sometimes mid season on tomato cans. Maybe a sign of a great conference is the number of players that go to the NFL, but the SEC got humbled as a group in bowls last year. To me, getting humbled on the field is telling about the quality of your conference teams and the hype level surrounding them…

• wilcojoe said, on December 3, 2015 at 9:26 am

The bowl record doesn’t mean anything. Unless a team makes the final four, the players are basically treating it like a vacation. I mean how many bowls are there now? So many, that teams with only five wins will get bids this year.

Non CFP Bowls are good for younger teams that get the extra practice time that they wouldn’t otherwise have if they didn’t qualify.

• Flavor said, on December 3, 2015 at 9:32 am

disagree my man. Getting 9 teams bowl eligible shows the depth of the conference. No other conference is even close to that.

• wilcojoe said, on December 3, 2015 at 9:42 am

I am not talking about the end of season record and teams elgible for bowls, but rather the bowl record itself. The bowl games (outside of the CFP and the Rose Bowl) are meaningless. It’s basically a glorified practice or exhibition game.

• Flavor said, on December 3, 2015 at 10:12 am

I get that. I am speaking to the depth of the conference. If you value that then you’d agree with me. If not, you’d disagree. Personally, I think a deep conference is a sign of a very good conference and the teams at the top get that much more cred from me. Stanford would beat Alabama or Clemson, in my opinion.

• wilcojoe said, on December 3, 2015 at 10:22 am

I don’t know if it’s depth so much as parity. Who has the Pac 10 beaten outside of their conference? Off the top of my head, Stanford beat Notre Dame and Utah beat Michigan. I think Stanford is head and shoulders above the rest of the conference, in large part due to McCaffrey and their abilty to run the ball. I think Bama would stop him the same way they did Fournette and LSU and Florida from the SEC could as well.

Yeah the SEC gets a lot of hype and probably more so then they deserve. The reality is they are still the best conference, head to toe, in college football.

9. snarkk said, on December 3, 2015 at 8:43 am

With Petit and Hector non-tendered, the 40 man is down to 38. So, two spots open to fill. They’ll have to give Greinke north of $33 million a year given CA tax to equalize to what the RSox gave Price. I think it’s crazy to pay these pitchers this kind of money. As soon as they sign, they could slit a wrist tendon cutting frozen hamburger, and there goes all that money out the window. Bring up young pitchers and spend the dough on outfield bats and / or several lesser arms…

• snarkk said, on December 3, 2015 at 8:45 am

I’m not surprised by reports Sonny Dykes interviewed at Missouri for that open job. He can leave as far as I’m concerned. Goff is gone, so he’s looking to scoot — that’s swell. That’s great news to help recruits decide to come to Cal… the coach recruiting you is off interviewing for a vacancy elsewhere. Cal needs to either extend him a year, or settle it some other way with the guy, right now…

• unca_chuck said, on December 3, 2015 at 9:11 am

If he wants to break the bank, Cal ain’t gonna give it to him, regardless of the improvement. For all the betterment of the team, they still have a major struggle playing defense.

California colleges don’t have the coin to throw around like the major colleges elsewhere.

10. zumiee said, on December 3, 2015 at 9:12 am

Snarkk, your point is well-taken about the risk of the big contracts; but on the other side, just the swing in WAR by signing Greinke gives the Giants the division title in ’16, on paper. And, yes, I know that paper is a lot of times just worth the paper it’s written on; but still, I say roll those dice on Greinke. It would be fun watching the Dodgers scramble to try to replace him.

• zumiee said, on December 3, 2015 at 9:16 am

I know that paper is a lot of times just worth the paper itโ€™s written on

OK, that didn’t make any sense, but you all knew what I meant. ๐Ÿ™‚

11. unca_chuck said, on December 3, 2015 at 10:05 am

Since no one here is in the inner circle, it’s hard to determine what the Giants think about doling out these Posey-like deals. He and Cain are the big ones, and Bummie is a steal at his numbers. Pence is on the fence regarding big deals (still think he’s a bargain at that price, but now he has health issues). Now we have Crawford and his 6 year deal.

They may feel that they are maxed out on handing out big $$$/year deals. I call bullshit on that, but the prevailing sentiment is, uh, do it or don’t do it. I think 2 mid-level rotation guys would suffice, but I’d also like to see a LF with power. Fucking Leake and eye chart are looking at 5/$100. Even still, the G’s could get eye chart and Zobrist for the less than Greinke.

12. Carstie Clausen said, on December 3, 2015 at 10:06 am

With one exception, the Giants are probably the strongest up the middle team in MLB. A shut-down defensive alignment is nearly as critical to winning baseball as a powerful rotation, particularly if the rotation is NOT made up exclusively of whiffers with intense gas. Point is, Pagan, for all his hitting ability, was the worst CFer in the bigs last season ~ defensively a deficit rather than an asset. So at the very least an MLB average defensive centerfielder should be no less than #2 on the priority list. If Houston does not ask too much for Marisnick, then he would be a good pickup.

If SF doesn’t go all stoopid and trade off even one member of their MLB best infield AND adds a more than vaguely passable centerfielder who is so-so at the plate, no big hairy Paducci. Giants have good bats up and down the lineup. If the #8 hitter is no better than mediocre with the stick, the overall team would still get a net gain by being the strongest in MLB up the middle.

13. chipower9 said, on December 3, 2015 at 10:06 am

Welcome home Blade.

snarkk – to your question about plans for spring training. I don’t have anything definitive yet, but my daughter and I do plan to go down this year. Once I see the schedule I will lock-and-load on hotel, etc.

What I have been doing the past several years is taking-in most of my games in visiting parks. You can get better seats for less coin, and some of the new ballparks spank Scottsdale Stadium. Scottsdale Stadium is not that great a place to see a game. While you are out chasing down some grub, you cannot see the playing field, etc., whereas some of the new yards have great sightlines from anywhere in the park while you are grabbing food or a brew, etc.

I love old Scottsdale. Have had a some very good steaks at the Pink Pony. Also love Grimaldi’s for pizza in old town. RnR and the Salty Senorita are great places to hang-out and check-out the eye candy, and the food is pretty good, too.

Okay…let’s see some fucking action, already. I am ready for a big signing whether it be a big fish FA or via trade.

14. Flavor said, on December 3, 2015 at 10:27 am

I still don’t understand why the Giants don’t trade a bag of balls for James Shields. He would be a fine #3 in our rotation. And he’s only owed 65 mil over the next 3 years. that’s paltry compared to what some of these guys are getting now.

• blade3colorado said, on December 3, 2015 at 10:50 am

A variation of what I have been saying. Get someone half-way decent who is already under contract via a trade (I don’t want Belt on our team, so he would do). The only way these pitcher FA contracts work out in the end is if the “gazillionair” is instrumental in winning a World Series – see Sabathia or Zito (for his playoff/WS performance). Currently, Sabathia sucks wind, but he was “The Man” during their World Series season, as well as a couple of other seasons. Bottom line is all these contracts suck, unless they take you to the promised land or do a Zito and are key during the playoffs and WS.

15. pawliekokonuts said, on December 3, 2015 at 10:30 am

1. Why isn’t Blade napping? 2. Why is it I can’t stand Wolf Blitzer? 3. Multitasking? No one is good at it. The term comes from the world of computers, not humans. But ORGANIZATIONS should be able to do it ably and nimbly.

• blade3colorado said, on December 3, 2015 at 10:51 am

10 hours of sleep last night Pawlie. Been very active today, stocking my refrigerator at Kings Sooper and Costco.

• blade3colorado said, on December 3, 2015 at 10:52 am

Read an article about multi-tasking. Same conclusion – no one is good at it. Maybe the same article you read. Dunno.

16. chipower9 said, on December 3, 2015 at 10:43 am

snarkk – or anyone else…here is the “tentative” ST schedule from the Giants:

And also from the Scottsdale Spring Training site:

I am excited just thinking about baseball…

ONLY 77 days until pitchers and catchers report! GIDDY UP!

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 3, 2015 at 11:05 am

There is a better than 50-50 chance I will go, to shop my book, if it is done.

• chipower9 said, on December 3, 2015 at 12:46 pm

Would be cool if we crossed paths in Scottsdale, Pawlie.

17. pawliekokonuts said, on December 3, 2015 at 11:10 am

I kind of miss Yusmeiro Petit.

18. alleykat69 said, on December 3, 2015 at 11:27 am

Chi..
    Get up to Greasewood Flats in Scottsdale with Gail? And your daughter, and the Snarkk clan if you hook up. Kick ass place, lots of Beers/Cocktails/ dollar bills are higher hanging on the ceilings, outside bbq fire pits, bands,dance floor,lots of wood tables. Up in the hills near Boulders golf course. Another place is Tom Weiskoff, resturant where they have ties hanging over the bar and you can see some killer views,Greasewood is more kickback though

• chipower9 said, on December 3, 2015 at 12:47 pm

I have heard of Greasewood Flats, Kat and will definitely try to get out there.

19. zumiee said, on December 3, 2015 at 11:52 am

” Why is it I canโ€™t stand Wolf Blitzer?”

Because he’s horrible. Remember how excited he was about presenting breaking news from John King about the Boston Marathon bombers? All of the information was totally false. Blitzer and King should have both been canned after that fiasco. Many times in the rush to scoop the other networks, Blitzer has trotted out wrong information. And, ultimately, he has to be the one to be held accountable.
    But, in reality, all the 24-hour cable news channels are bad. The whole format is a failed experiment.

• blade3colorado said, on December 3, 2015 at 12:05 pm

Even more important in my mind, is the fact that Blitzer is the weakest interviewer I have ever seen. His softball questions more appropriate on a “bubblegum” network like Fox. I’m more convinced than ever that Wolf Blitzer has to be fucking someone to keep his job. God damn is he bad. He has one cadence, manages to fuck up every toss to someone else, constantly has words fly out of his mouth before he’s entirely sure what he’s trying to say . . . the list goes on. He’s got to be Anderson’s bottom bitch. That’s the only explanation. I’m done ranting.

See what you started Zumiee? Is it any wonder that I cut the cord? ๐Ÿ™‚

• zumiee said, on December 3, 2015 at 12:08 pm

I hear ya. He’s really awful. He’s a marshmellow interviewer.
        I avoid cable news these days, too. I get news off the internet, and that’s good enough, IMO.

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 3, 2015 at 1:20 pm

I KNEW there was a reason I can’t stand Wolf Blitzer. And I don’t even have a TV! Saw him on at a cafe. Eating establishments or coffee shops should NEVER have a TV on. Ever.

• blade3colorado said, on December 3, 2015 at 1:22 pm

Agree Pawlie. I go to coffee shops to reflect, ruminate, and escape the outside world “noise.”

20. zumiee said, on December 3, 2015 at 11:57 am

“stocking my refrigerator at Kings Sooper and Costco.”

I’ve never heard of the first one, but I am very well acquainted with Costco. The quality of frozen, ready to microwave meals, is so much higher than previous generations. And also bought a bunch of polo shirts there of very good quality at a very reasonable price.

• zumiee said, on December 3, 2015 at 11:58 am

This is one of my favorites from Costco:

• chipower9 said, on December 3, 2015 at 12:51 pm

Holy shit! Did you look at the carb, sodium, and sugar content? That is the problem with almost ALL ready to eat meals…they are so heavily processed and typically contain a ton of sodium, sugar, and carbs. These are the reasons I try to steer clear of these foods…

• blade3colorado said, on December 3, 2015 at 1:28 pm

He’s right Zum. A couple of years ago, I quit eating those cup of noodle soups (all forms and brands). Why? Worst food on planet Earth. Up there with Chicken McNuggets, and diet/regular sodas. Really upset about Cheez-Its, which I love. All of the noodles, etc., are soaked in TBHQ (a toxic petroleum product) so they will last until the next Ice Age. Here’s a list of all the foods:

• blade3colorado said, on December 3, 2015 at 12:06 pm

Kings Sooper and Safeway are the 2 go 2 supermarkets in Colorado. Whole Foods (Whole Paycheck to some) will probably be out of business in 2-3 years max IMO. You heard it here first.

• chipower9 said, on December 3, 2015 at 12:59 pm

I just recently read where a majority of Whole Food’s beef is sourced from a rancher’s cooperative called Country Natural Beef. This cooperative has been guilty of coercing the BLM to remove wild horses protected under the 1971 Wild Horses and Burro act so that they can graze even more of their fucking cows on OUR public lands. Fuck those welfare ranchers AND Whole Foods. Whole Foods will never get another penny of my money. I hope the fucking company goes tits-up. And the ranchers can go buy private lands for their fucking cows. Get the fuck off of my public land you assholes.

Don’t get me wrong…I love beef, but I also have a strong spot in my heart for the wild horses of the West. The BLM is breaking the law left-and-right in regards to our iconic wild horses.

There is talk of a “Mustang Safe” label (similar as the “Dolphin Safe” label on canned tuna). I think it is well past time for this type of labeling.

Okay…I am done ranting…let’s talk baseball.

• blade3colorado said, on December 3, 2015 at 1:14 pm

Whole Paycheck also ripped off NY shoppers. Not long after California regulators fined the fancy self-described natural foods grocery $800K for overcharging, they were under investigation again, in New York City (June I think). Regulators called it record making egregious and โ€œthe worst case of overcharges theyโ€™ve ever seenโ€.

21. zumiee said, on December 3, 2015 at 12:05 pm

MLB Network Hot Stove did a nice little bit on Petit this morning. They talked about his big contribution in the ’14 season, including the 6 shut-out innings of relief in the 18-inning playoff game vs. the Nationals. And his record number of batters in a row retired. And his almost perfect game a few years ago. But they also mentioned the metrics that showed that his stuff had gone downhill in ’15 for whatever reason.
    Granted, the Giants kind of jerked him around in ’15, never giving him a clear-cut role. One of the few times it seemed Bochy mismanaged a pitcher.

• zumiee said, on December 3, 2015 at 12:15 pm

Some of that, of course, was because the Giants wanted to get some return on the $40 million going to Lincecum and Cain last season.

• djloo27 said, on December 3, 2015 at 12:29 pm

Excellent points, Zooms…

• snarkk said, on December 3, 2015 at 7:43 pm

Agree, zum. I’ve seen some writing that the Giants felt Petit was “inconsistent” in 2015. Well, I would be, too, if I basically had no idea whether I was going to get some action the next day or two, or the next week or two. I am totally in Petit’s corner, and hope he gets a nice gig and paycheck somewhere. The dude was nails in 2014, his performance in that 18 inning deal in DC will be a great, lasting memory…

22. unca_chuck said, on December 3, 2015 at 1:19 pm

I don;t know where Costco gets their meat, but it is hands-down 5x better than anything from Safeway, Lucky’s or any other grocery store.

I suppose it’ll take a couple clicks but I’ve never thought about it. . . .

Ooops. We’re done with this?

• chipower9 said, on December 3, 2015 at 6:47 pm

Agree…Costco has great meats…

23. Flavor said, on December 3, 2015 at 2:26 pm

• blade3colorado said, on December 3, 2015 at 2:44 pm

Need input on DFS tonight. Sent you an email . . . Thanks in advance.

• wilcojoe said, on December 3, 2015 at 2:51 pm

Blade, did I tell you my sister won $15k by coming in third place in the NFL primetime tourney on Fanduel a few weeks back? Lucky bitch only started playing cause I showed her how.

• blade3colorado said, on December 3, 2015 at 2:54 pm

I read about it on the blog. Did she ever give you any of her winnings?

• wilcojoe said, on December 3, 2015 at 3:07 pm

No, but I am expecting a very nice X-mas present this year. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Flavor said, on December 3, 2015 at 3:24 pm

Not around till later sorry

• blade3colorado said, on December 3, 2015 at 5:07 pm

No worries Flav. I think I will tread water tonight or a bit better.

• chipower9 said, on December 3, 2015 at 6:50 pm

Heard this earlier. Very cool…I am happy for Hunter. He has been one of my favorite Giants on this rebuild that brought us 3 in 5. I like the video vignettes they have done too, and she is bombing hot.

• snarkk said, on December 3, 2015 at 7:47 pm

She stopped him mid speech so she could say “yes” and get that crap over with. Notice he’s smart and got that $90M contract signed before getting married. Smart man. BTW, who the heck is filming this?…

24. zumiee said, on December 3, 2015 at 3:05 pm

Congrats to Pence and girlfriend! Very cool.

25. zumiee said, on December 3, 2015 at 3:22 pm

Yeah, I know the frozen foods have some issues, but I don’t eat them all the time, plus I don’t eat a lot of heavy food in general. And I’m a total teetotaler. No alcohol. We all pick our poisons. ๐Ÿ™‚

26. Flavor said, on December 3, 2015 at 3:24 pm

Pence seemed pretty genuine in that video.

• zumiee said, on December 3, 2015 at 3:39 pm

Pence was on Hot Stove this morning. I didn’t catch the whole interview, but I remember Vasgersian saying after the interview something like: “I really like that guy. That guy just seems to have such a joy for life.”

• djloo27 said, on December 3, 2015 at 4:25 pm

He seemed to have some difficulty kneeling down.
        Not encouraging…

• Flavor said, on December 3, 2015 at 6:49 pm

I thought his awkwardness was cool.

• chipower9 said, on December 3, 2015 at 6:55 pm

One of the things I like about him, and he is a pretty damned good ballplayer!

• wilcojoe said, on December 3, 2015 at 8:04 pm

They showed the Pence proposal on the local news here tonight. That dude is as cool as they come. Agree with Flav, his nervousness/awkwardness only made him that more endearing (that sounds really gay) but I couldn’t think of another word.

27. blade3colorado said, on December 3, 2015 at 5:15 pm

I like their videos. In fact, I watched a couple of them this morning. How tall is she? She looks fairly short (5’4″?).

• Flavor said, on December 3, 2015 at 6:46 pm

at most.

• chipower9 said, on December 3, 2015 at 7:00 pm

Dynamite comes in small packages! ๐Ÿ˜‰

28. xoot said, on December 3, 2015 at 6:59 pm

At 6.22 Joel Sherman of the NY Post tweeted that the dodgers had just called greinke to thank him for his time with the team.

• Flavor said, on December 3, 2015 at 7:14 pm

hmmmmmm. Not seeing that on twitter.

• xoot said, on December 3, 2015 at 8:30 pm

Anna Pirhana copied the tweet onto the JDR facebook page earlier. If he deleted it, hmmm indeed.

29. snarkk said, on December 3, 2015 at 7:39 pm

Chi and Pawlie and any other Flappers, I am going to try, in earnest, to get to Scottsdale for 2016 STraining, adding onto a business trip excuse. If we can swing a Flapper meet down there, it would be Epic, at least IMO…

30. willedav said, on December 3, 2015 at 8:03 pm

Unless there is another Cam Newton I’m not buying the SEC. Pac12 has Goff Kessler Hogan the Oregon kid plus good QBs at wazzu and U of A and QB play far outside anything SEC ever sees. Imo, outside of Bama which I think wins it all, Stanford SC and Ducks beat anyone else over there.
    I think Big 10 has good argument too. In same fashion I think Harbs Ohio St and maybe Iowa and Sparty beat anyone not named Bama. That Northwestern team Cards lost to in season opener on road also won 8 games this year.

We’ll never find out tho, because SEC teams refuse to play anyone outside their back yard. Only team Bama or Auburn would play from Calif is Jose St whom they invite in for a beatdown.

Don’t care for the school but at least Irish played SC Cards and Clemson. Let anyone from SEC top that.

• Macdog said, on December 3, 2015 at 8:13 pm

UCLA just beat Kentucky!

• willedav said, on December 3, 2015 at 8:49 pm

unbelievable, read the Welsh kid lit them up. Well, Cal’s got plenty to motivate them now.
        A&M and Vandy not bad in SEC either, won’t be a cakewalk.

• xoot said, on December 3, 2015 at 9:32 pm

effing horrible end to a generally bad day. Ulis is playing hurt, Lee got hurt early in the game. still.

31. blade3colorado said, on December 3, 2015 at 8:39 pm

Cracking up about David Ortiz and David Price burying the hatchet. Now, they’re best buds . . .

32. djloo27 said, on December 3, 2015 at 8:40 pm

Holy shit, Packers!

• wilcojoe said, on December 3, 2015 at 8:42 pm

Unreal.

• Macdog said, on December 3, 2015 at 8:47 pm

That’s so Lions.

33. unca_chuck said, on December 3, 2015 at 9:54 pm

The Lakers amazingly won a game against the wiz tonight as Kobe scored 31.

The amazing thing about it? It took Kobe 24 shots to get to 31.

It took Steph 18 shots to get 40 last night.

• snarkk said, on December 3, 2015 at 10:12 pm

Kobe should retire. Yesterday…

34. zumiee said, on December 3, 2015 at 10:57 pm

Scott Weiland died tonight. Lead-singer of Stone Temple Pilots. Another rock and roll casualty, I guess.
    I have a lot of fondness for the Seattle “grunge rock” scene of the early to mid-1990s. It was the last time rock and roll was actually on the Top 40 hit charts. The Top 40 has been all rap and dance music after that. Pearl Jam remains one of my favorite bands; I’ve seen them in concert many times. I was also fortunate to see Nirvana in concert.
    Here’s one of STP’s big hits:

• unca_chuck said, on December 4, 2015 at 7:51 am

Shit. That sucks. Saw his show at bottle rock. He looked fairly disinterested, but it was pretty good. The guitarist in his band the Wildabouts had died 3 weeks before the show.

35. willedav said, on December 4, 2015 at 7:37 am

Read a couple columns on csn, first one talking about Aoki going to Seattle (good!) and Giants search for OF.
    Primary options being J Up Heyward Alex Gordon, but Zobrist name also came up.
    I know he’s expensive but Heyward hands down the best player here. Z is still valuable as an OF but supposedly wants 4 yr deal, at age 35. No to that and imo other 2 have limited shelf life of value.
    I’d be fine with Blanco and the 2 kids (Parker and Williamson) until Pagan falls apart again if SF can’t get anyone to take him as throw in a deal. Picking up the Marisnick kid would be good addition too.

Second one of course talked about next options if Greinke went back to LA. Consensus seemed to be signing both Samarz and Leake, which would still be a net savings. Both are inning eaters that hopefully would bridge the end of Peavy (and Cain maybe) to next gen of younger SPs. Not high on either one but maybe full season at ATT with Giants D behind them will allow them to shine.

36. unca_chuck said, on December 4, 2015 at 2:56 pm

In Niner news Paraag Marathe has been stripped of his team prez duties. Word is he’s the source of the leaks in years past. SIngletary’s rat.

Jed’s bitch.