Not Concerned With Snake Activity

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 9, 2015

Am I the only one not worried about a single thing the D-backs do? This is the same team that traded Max Sherzer for Edwina Jackson and Ian Kennedy. They gave Yasmany Tomas nearly 70 million dollars. And Dave Stewart is more qualified to be an agent than a GM.

__________________

Fun end to last night’s thread from an old friend. In case you missed it:

twinfan1 said, on December 8, 2015 at 11:27 pm (Edit)

Late night list making is a lost art..for a reason.

*Now it’s said that Zobrist wants a deal that will carry him over until he gets his AARP Card
*Manziel back as Brown’s QB- and just when things were going so well
*Latest on the Pan Fried Chicken front- A new neighbor named “Idalee” wants a Fried Chicken contest. I’m officially screwed- no way you can beat an Idalee.
*Maybe I’ll wait to go the biffy until after the Extra Point
*My sister sent 8 *more* boxes to us. Because we need so much. Yep, we really need 68 pillow cases, 24 bungee cords…
* 19 teams have submitted requests to play in the NFC East
* The Jints got a lot of grief for keeping Uggla for 4 games-the Gnats kept him * ALL YEAR*. That explains a lot
* I was wrong about Idalee- she skins her chicken and coats it with corn flakes. I suggested that she get the hell out of this state and never come back

1. sfsarge said, on December 9, 2015 at 6:49 am

Another team winning the off season. We know how well that works out.

2. chipower9 said, on December 9, 2015 at 7:05 am

Oh man…I had truly forgot how much I missed Twin’s posts of this nature. That was pricelss and had me LMAO.

Michael – I hope all is well for you and Merna and your furry family members. Blessings of good health and happiness to you all, my friend. Hey, and if you have a few extra pillow cases…

I am with ya Flav. I am not concerned about the Dbacks. I know the Giants were supposedly in talks with the Braves re: Miller not long ago, and the price was too steep. Snakes gave up three good players/prospects, including the young shortstop they took with their first pick last year. Would I love to have Shelby Miller as a Giant? Bet your sweet ass I would. At that steep a cost…hell no.

And Zobrist to those miserable cubbies for 56 mil (14 per year). Fuck no to that one, too.

Our braintrust brought us Three in Five. I have confidence that they will do what is required to make our Giants competitive in their quest for Four in Seven.

• Flavor said, on December 9, 2015 at 7:34 am

sadly, both of Twin’s animals have passed. But I agree with your sentiment.

3. chipower9 said, on December 9, 2015 at 7:24 am

Stix mentioned the Giants interest in the Japanese hurler Maeda on the last thread. Sounds like there isn’t a match/interest there after all.

4. Flavor said, on December 9, 2015 at 7:35 am

Giants linked to both Gordon and Fowler. I don’t really pine for either, but if I had to choose I’d take Fowler. I think his game would translate better to AT&T.

• willedav said, on December 9, 2015 at 7:48 am

Agreed, not too thrilled with either. Gordon is way overrated imo. D will regress over a 5 yr deal (he’s 31 now, right?) and he avgs. 143 Ks a year, tho has always had good OB with Royals. Good player, but absolutely not a $100 mil guy and not a CF. Also coming off injury that limited him to 104 games.

Yes he has a ring but too many red flags for me.

Unless they are after bigger fish to fry, why wouldn’t Cubs bring Fowler back, esp if Schwarber is in OF next to him?

5. chipower9 said, on December 9, 2015 at 8:52 am

Going back to last year’s trade deadline, I have always throught Parra would be a good fit. The dude made 6.2 last year, is 28 years old, and plays all three OF positions (least played is CF but he still has almost 200 games played there). So, for the coin he would demand in a four year deal, I would still target him, and then use the coin saved on not signing a big-name OFer to add another #3 pitcher. Parra is that guy would could play LF and when Crazy Horse breaks down, could slide over to CF. Damn…I seem to have lost Sabean and Evan’s numbers when I got a new phone couple of weeks ago…

6. unca_chuck said, on December 9, 2015 at 9:30 am

Mike, sorry to hear about your pets. Hope all else is going well for you and Merna.

PS. Your computer is still going strong . . .

7. zumiee said, on December 9, 2015 at 9:32 am

With the D-Backs’ acquisitions, we’re likely to see the pre-season magazines and pundits and whatnot picking the Giants 3rd in the division, and that’s fine. The Giants have obviously shown how well they can do when flying under the radar.

• chipower9 said, on December 9, 2015 at 9:41 am

Under the Radar and Smoke and Mirrors were the recipe for success (Three in Five). I say “Carry On,” and let the “pundits/experts” blather away…

8. gianthead said, on December 9, 2015 at 11:07 am

Well I missed the Zobrist signing with the Cubsthis morning…but looks like I had the contract offer from the Giants dead on at 4 years $60 mill. I am still good with the idea of signing a second arm and waiting until the trade deadline to add a bat…Cespedes may be able to be had though at below market prices,,,I would be happy with him at Zobrist’s offer.

• chipower9 said, on December 9, 2015 at 12:55 pm

I think Cespedes will get more than what Zobrist got (4/56).

• xoot said, on December 9, 2015 at 2:36 pm

he should. His original deal with Oakland was 4/36 I believe, and he was straight out of Cuba

9. gianthead said, on December 9, 2015 at 11:11 am

As a fantasy player, I hate Gordon and Fowler…would skip on both. Parra at a deal less than they offered Zobrist is a better alternative in my most humble opinion…I tried to post yesterday that NY/east coasters are certainly more obnoxious with their Type A disdain of the west coast.

And I married into a East Coast Ivy League family…ugh. But also back home in the Bay Area for some meetings and will be driving past Candlestick for the first time tomorrow without the Stick being there…that is going to be a shock…

10. Bozo said, on December 9, 2015 at 11:18 am

From Jon Heyman
    “many, many teams are inquiring about tim linceum, recovering nicely after hip surgery. will throw for teams in mid january”

• snarkk said, on December 9, 2015 at 11:37 am

Is SF one of those teams?…

11. snarkk said, on December 9, 2015 at 11:43 am

I’m more concerned with SF activity or lack of same re: outfielders, and who will be the lead off guy in the LU now that Aoki is gone and Pagan is an injury waiting to happen…

• alleykat69 said, on December 9, 2015 at 12:00 pm

Get Heyward Now Goddamit!!!
      Panik can lead off,are Blanco once piñata boy breaks down.
      Sure their go with either Parra/Fowler though which isn’t bad but nothing like in your prime Heyward would produce Imo…

• chipower9 said, on December 9, 2015 at 1:10 pm

12. Bozo said, on December 9, 2015 at 11:54 am

Besides Chi’s guy, Parra, I didn’t realize Denard Span was a FA. If that guy is healthy, I’d go after him big time.He is just a year away from a 184 hit season with 94 Runs scored and 31 SBs (out of 38 attempts).
    He would be a triples machine a Pac Bell, if he’s healthy.

13. Flavor said, on December 9, 2015 at 12:12 pm

heyward wants a 10 year deal. Fuck that.

• Bozo said, on December 9, 2015 at 12:20 pm

Agreed, fuck that.

• gianthead said, on December 9, 2015 at 2:15 pm

Heyward is way way overrated…want no part of him….

• sfsarge said, on December 9, 2015 at 2:21 pm

Whoa, I was all about getting that guy until I read this. NEXT!!

14. chipower9 said, on December 9, 2015 at 1:16 pm

In regards to OFers, and more specifically a choice between Parra and Span, here are my thoughts…

No to Heyward because of all the reasons others have mentioned (mainly length of contract he wants).

Span is intriguing, but with the potential for injury, and the fact we are talking about a guy to be there if (when) Crazy Horse goes down, then I like Parra better.

Plus, Parra plays all three OF spots. Span has played RF and LF, but most of his time has been at CF.

Parra also made 6 mil and change last year, Span made 9.

Lastly, hitting in the lead-off position, here are their slash lines:

Parra:
    .283, .334, .447, .780

Span:
    .285, .350, .390, .740

With Parra being more durable, probably a bit less expensive, and younger, I would go with Parra

• gianthead said, on December 9, 2015 at 2:17 pm

I actually think Span would struggle at ATT….anyone have his career numbers at ATT? Parra seems like a livelier bat but no more than 3 years….

15. zumiee said, on December 9, 2015 at 3:14 pm

Vasgersian on the Hot Stove show went off on the Heyward thing a bit this morning, and surprisingly Reynolds was more the sabermetric guy on that.
    Vasgersian: “For 10 years/$200 million, I want a rightfielder who’s going to hit 35 HRs and drive in a 100 runs. I’m kind of fed up with hearing about how Heyward’s saber numbers make him worth it. He’s a terrific player, but not at that price.”
    Reynolds: “His saber numbers, including defense, are going to get him the contract.”
    Vasgersian: “I’m not there on him yet.”

• Flavor said, on December 9, 2015 at 3:18 pm

Giving that overrated guy a 10 year deal would be a noose around the franchise neck. Screw that. Way better directions to go.

16. blade3colorado said, on December 9, 2015 at 4:38 pm

Dave Schoenfield said the Arizona Diamondbacks paid too much for Shelby Miller. Keith Law said they paid too much. Buster Olney wrote: “Rival execs in awe of the package of players Atlanta got from Arizona.”

Atlanta did well. Why? For the same/similar reasons we’re discussing Heyward’s delusional demands for a 10 year, $200 million dollar contract. Atlanta wants players that are going to be controllable for a few years. In my opinion, they hosed the Snakes, who want to win now at all costs. However, to me – this looks exactly like the Padres winning the (off) season last year. Hahaha. Of course, only time will tell.

Nevertheless, probably like a few of you, I’m shocked at these contracts. Yeah, not my money, but in a way, it is, simply because the costs eventually get paid by the fans, e.g., $10 beers, $17 crab sandwiches, parking, etc., etc.

17. blade3colorado said, on December 9, 2015 at 5:16 pm

Media is reporting that the Giants want Gordon. If the Giants get Gordon for 4 years at $80 million I will be down with that. However, I understand he wants 5 years at $100 million, a lot less palatable in my opinion. Nevertheless, this Fan Graphs detailed column about him indicates that he is a “Value buy” and underrated and consequently, a good pick up for the team that signs him.

18. Flavor said, on December 9, 2015 at 5:37 pm

I listened to Evans today on knbr and he may be playing possum but he didn’t talk like a guy who was going after one of the big free agent hitters. He expressed surprise that the market was still stuck but expected some hitters to sign “within the next week.” He made it clear that he’s been talking to the free agent pitcher agents and only spoke about the FA hitter agents in terms of one guy being the agent for 3 of the coveted hitters and that he would have some leverage based on inside knowledge of who teams are most interested in, what they are offering, etc. But he was saying that as a guy on the outside, kinda like a reporter might say it. My prediction is that the Giants don’t sign ANY of the hitters (Heyward, Gordon, Fowler etc). Evans was talking like an outsider about them today on knbr.

19. Flavor said, on December 9, 2015 at 6:56 pm

I’m still not understanding why we non-tendered Petit who is about to sign with the Nats. Of course, I didn’t understand why he barely ever pitched for us either. Never have the Giants kept a better arm stuck longer in the bullpen without hardly ever getting used.

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 9, 2015 at 7:05 pm

Churchillian phrasing from Magnus!

• Flavor said, on December 9, 2015 at 8:15 pm

I ooze Churchillian, Koko. I think I even had a dog that was that once.

• snarkk said, on December 9, 2015 at 8:19 pm

Totally agree. The guys has the major league record for consecutive outs, was one out from a perfecto. Last season, Bochy used him like he had herpes or something, then post- season the media reported the SF management was troubled by his inconsistency. Huh?

• Flavor said, on December 9, 2015 at 8:28 pm

the whole *secret weapon* thing makes no sense. If you’re gonna use him as a long reliever, unless you literally start bringing him into the 5th/6th inning of your old pitcher starts, he’s useless. Long relievers are, nearly by definitions, mop up guys. If you’re starter gets blasted who do you bring into the game? The fucking long reliever when you’re down 6-1. How is that possibly considered a secret weapon?
        The way to have used him would be to bring him into the Peavy games in the 5th/6th inning, every game, before Peaves spit the bit…..

20. blade3colorado said, on December 9, 2015 at 7:13 pm

One more quantitative reason to dislike Leake . . . http://network.yardbarker.com/mlb/article_external/the_upcoming_mike_leake_mistake/s1_8637_20015386?mb_edition=5263&linksrc=mb_favorites_head

• Bozo said, on December 9, 2015 at 9:35 pm

He doesn’t seem to be missing bats much anymore. Look at the shutout against the Dodgers last year (after they had clinched the Division), he had one K. Look at the two games against the Dbacks, oh yeah I want the team to spend millions so I can watch that shit.
      Plus, I have never seen anything where he said he wanted to play for the Giants (wanting to play for a West Coast team doesn’t count for me), and even if that doesn’t mean much, but not having one Giant player say they wanted him back, I find very odd. If I missed him gushing about Rags or Posey jizzing on the Mays statue, I apologize, but I still don’t want him because I think he quit on us.

21. blade3colorado said, on December 9, 2015 at 7:57 pm

Love this article about the Giants chances next season! Also, I am sold on Gordon . . . Get it done Sabevans!

• Flavor said, on December 9, 2015 at 8:16 pm

not happening, at least based on how Evans was talking today on KNBR. I also don’t want this to happen. One good thing about him is that it would be a lateral move in terms of parks —KC to ATT. So you kinda know what you’re going to get from him

22. willedav said, on December 9, 2015 at 8:02 pm

Those numbers from Parra, esp the slugging .447, ain’t happening at ATT.
    I think Flav posted something about this before end of the season–that number is park driven at Milwaukee..
    Crawford was at .462 and Parra does not have near his kind of power.
    Blanco had better season for OB and is probably a better CF; Parra I liked better for how well he played corner spot. So that’s my argument—if you already have Blanco what do you need Parra for?

Pagan won’t last, so you still have Blanco and the kids, and I’d give them a shot. I’d pick up Marisnick and save the money. Even with Pagan suckitude Giants offense was good last year and a healthy year out of Pence Panik Belt means good things.

• Flavor said, on December 9, 2015 at 8:17 pm

I like Marisnick but when was the last time Sabean traded for a young, controllable outfielder? Would love to see that happen tho
      I’m off Parra just because he doesn’t do much for me. He would do ok as a guy here, I guess. Better than Pagan at this point.

23. snarkk said, on December 9, 2015 at 8:25 pm

I wouldn’t give Jesus a Guaranteed 10-year deal…

24. snarkk said, on December 9, 2015 at 8:27 pm

At brewpub pounding a pint of Lagunitas Imperial Pilsener @ 8.6% abv. This S is awesome…

• Flavor said, on December 9, 2015 at 8:30 pm

are you being censored or can you literally not spell SHIT because of the high alcohol content? lol. Yes, that shit is awesome.

• snarkk said, on December 9, 2015 at 8:33 pm

I was being respectful of the fucking Flap. Another pint and I’d probably make a pass at the 22 year old blond sitting at the bar next to me…

• Flavor said, on December 9, 2015 at 8:52 pm

“make a pass” —old school phrase right there. Nice.