Excuses That Suck

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 14, 2015

“We just didn’t execute.” Colin Kaepernick made this one famous. If you end up saying this every week after a loss this has nothing to do with your ability to execute. At some point, “Next man up” stops applying. It’s a cute little mantra but it’s not accurate. If you asked me, Pawlie and Snarkk to be “next man up” on pleasuring Jennifer Montana in her prime, we’d be like “giddy up” and the damn job would get DONE. But put us on an NFL football field and things would get ugly. I feel like this is where we are with the 49ers right now. Too many *practice field* guys are hitting the *real field*.

But even more than “we just didn’t execute” I CAN’T STAND players, owners and especially coaches who “take responsibility” for a loss. The Big Sweat trotted this one out yesterday when he said “there’s not a man in this locker room who doesn’t own some part of this starting with me.”

I think some of that sweat has seeped into his brain— a tsunami that has washed away common sense. What did he expect would happen playing all of those replacement players and rookies? And what exactly is his consequence for “owning” yesterday’s loss? What is *starting* with him? His ultimate demise? If you own a failure, it’s not enough to just say it. Something of consequence should happen. I don’t know what that is for a head coach other than getting fired. I don’t think that should be Tomsula’s punishment. Yet. He is sweating through the end of this season with players who belong on the couch eating Chipotle on Sunday, not playing in the damn games. But if you aren’t trying to get fired, what is the point of “owning” the loss? That’s fake responsibility and as a fan it just pisses me off even more than the embarrassing loss did.

There. I feel a little better……

1. blade3colorado said, on December 14, 2015 at 6:20 am

2. chipower9 said, on December 14, 2015 at 7:17 am

Nice rant. I have been past this state for a while, and have said for some time, the Niners just need to clean house. While I know it will not happen anytime soon, this house cleaning should start with the Yorks. Sell the team to someone who truly has interest in returning this franchise to greatness, or, find someone (a top notch GM), who can.

Unfortunately, we know the Yorks are not going anywhere soon, so I say can Baalke, and Tomsula and his staff. Hire a competent GM (Baalke has not been totally awful, but I think he was a big part in Harbaugh leaving), and a top notch head coach, and let him assemble his staff.

I feel the Niners really fucked themselves when they did not can Baalke instead of Harbaugh. The franchise is a fucking mess, and a majority is “owned” by Baalke and Tomsula.

Sure, there have been injuries to key guys, and hence, you have the Chipolte squad playing in games that matter, but fuck it…blow this bitch up and start over.

And if and when the house-cleaning happens, Jed just needs to stay outta the fucking way.

Okay, I feel better, too. Fuck, am I ready for some baseball!

On the bright side…only 69 days until pitchers and catchers report…

3. ewisco said, on December 14, 2015 at 7:28 am

i said this over on chuck’s blog but the problem with absentee ownership (and jed doesn’t count) is that there’s no place to take the torches and pitchforks.

• Flavor said, on December 14, 2015 at 7:39 am

that’s what this place is for, dawg…. If I have to watch one more dumbass press conference with Big Sweat starting off with the injury report, I think I’m gonna lose it. Fucking designate that job to Joan from Payroll or someone else. Him *reporting* who’s got a stinger is one of the most annoying things he does…….

4. willedav said, on December 14, 2015 at 7:40 am

Part of Tomsula’s inability to prepare his team to win is simple lack of talent, on field and in staff.
    In other words, he’s got Chipotle guys going against Chipotle guys at practice.
    Sunday it’s different. His guys can’t block the others, or tackle or defend them, which affects what plays you try to run or how you defend the field. Eventually the talent and superior coaching win out.
    As my mentor buddy put it, “You can’t make a racehorse out of a jackass.”

One of the Chron writers yesterday (Saracevic) noted the comp btw Warriors and Niners, in ownership coaching staff and GMs. His conclusion was same as Chi’s—York has to go and competent GM + brought into FO. No coaches or assistant co-ordinators with any skills wanted to work here going into this season because they knew SF was going to be a trainwreck given the loss of talent on field (retirements etc) and coaching staff hires.

• ewisco said, on December 14, 2015 at 7:52 am

Not that I disagree but my issue with that is that no matter whether the York’s stay or go, who has the ABILITY to hire a good GM? not just competent but a good one. The York’s have neither the contacts nor the ability to find the sort of diamond in the rough that they’re going to need. Lacob and his partner had been involved with the Celtics organization which gave them access/understanding of the inner workings of the nba. I sincerely doubt that jed has been talking to people and canvassing other orgs to get a feel for talented management professionals. Mark davis had john M and a couple of others to help.

• willedav said, on December 14, 2015 at 8:18 am

Wisc, I think the Young/Jones group as owners could get that done and build a competent FO.
      I also think that group would be able to attract superior HC candidates and co-ordinators.
      Rebuilding the talent on the field to compete with Cardinals and Seahawks would still be a challenge.

• chipower9 said, on December 14, 2015 at 9:35 am

I agree. Did not mention it earlier, but I have on numerous occasions before. Sell the damned team to the Young/Jones consortium. Those are FOOTBALL guys, and they are smart enough, and connected enough (IMO), to make good hires in the GM and coaching area.

I will be VERY surprised if this franchise ever sniffs another super bowl opportunity as long as the Yorks own the team. They got their a few years back partially on some of Baalke’s moves, but IMO, principally with Harbaugh.

5. alleykat69 said, on December 14, 2015 at 8:27 am

Agree totally on the rants!!
    It’s a disgrace trying to watch a a once top storied franchise become one they are now!
    So far removed from the top franchises Pats,Steelers,Broncos ,Packers winning championships it just sucks worse then a crummy soggy Chipolte.

6. Bozo said, on December 14, 2015 at 8:34 am

My favorite quote, also from Tomsula, – “I think we all took a step backward today,”
    A step backward? A step? You lost to Cleveland, you fuck.

7. Flavor said, on December 14, 2015 at 8:56 am

I also think Tomsula might be coaching in the wrong town. Not trying to sound elitist or anything, but his *shtick* would probably go over better in a town like Pittsburgh or Philly.

8. Lurker John said, on December 14, 2015 at 9:03 am

‘The Big Sweat.’ lol

9. zumiee said, on December 14, 2015 at 9:14 am

What a non-season in the NFL this year, for me. Thanks to the lousy Niner season, I can’t remember the last time I cared so little about an NFL season. Seriously, I’d have to say about 1978 or so.

• chipower9 said, on December 14, 2015 at 9:37 am

Agree, Zumiee. The Thomas years are the last time this franchise has sucked so bad, IMO.

• zumiee said, on December 14, 2015 at 9:47 am

Yeah, and since I don’t play Fantasy football, I really don’t know who a lot of the players are in the NFL these days, because the personnel turnover in the sport can be so quick.

10. blade3colorado said, on December 14, 2015 at 11:27 am

Cueto?

• blade3colorado said, on December 14, 2015 at 11:53 am

Rumor control has it that the Giants are enamored with Cargo too . . . I can actually see this happening, unless the Sherpas are butt hurt about their Scutaro donation to our 2012 World Series run. 🙂

• zumiee said, on December 14, 2015 at 11:52 am

I’m not thrilled about trying to sign Cueto to a huge deal, but this sentence in the article is kind of sobering:
      “As it stands, the Giants current projected rotation is: Madison Bumgarner, Samardzija, Jake Peavy, Matt Cain and Chris Heston.”
      And I don’t see the Giants going with Snarkk’s idea of working the prospects in yet. I don’t think the Giants feel comfortable with any of those guys yet. Maybe after the All-Star break, depending on the situation.

• blade3colorado said, on December 14, 2015 at 11:57 am

I actually think Peavy is going to be a great #3 (unless of course, we actually get a #3). His force of will, coupled with his promise to pitch 200 plus innings next season was an awesome statement . . . One which I believe he will fulfill.

11. Flavor said, on December 14, 2015 at 11:54 am

Since we arent going after a hitter we might as well pick up another pitcher.

12. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 14, 2015 at 12:55 pm

Hard to know what to think of Cueto but he topped 200 innings again last year and posted good numbers before being traded to KC. Normally you’d think the medical exam would make any issues known but we’re talking the Giants medicos here. If the club does sign him maybe there is a trade of prospects plus Susac to fill the LF spot?

• blade3colorado said, on December 14, 2015 at 1:16 pm

Dirt, did you read Brisbee’s column? He’s saying Cargo.

“. . . it would be a Susac-plus-others deal, a Beede-plus-others deal, or a Susac-Beede-just-to-get-talks-going deal. There would almost certainly be a lot of competition, so the prices might get exorbitant.”

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 14, 2015 at 1:21 pm

I don’t know what I think of Cargo. Lame nickname. Maybe he can stay healthy at sea level? The Rockies would probably want Arroyo included but the Giants would be taking on a lot of salary so I don’t think its a good idea to give up anything beyond Susac/Beede and another minor league arm or two.

13. blade3colorado said, on December 14, 2015 at 1:07 pm

I’m thinking this is going to happen . . .

Fox Sports’ Ken Rosenthal, citing sources, reported the San Francisco Giants are “making [a] strong push for Cueto.”

Jon Heyman of CBS Sports reported the two sides are “talking about a deal that would easily best the $120 million, six-year deal Cueto turned down earlier from the Diamondbacks. In the deals Cueto is currently discussing with teams, he’d like to have an opt-out clause as well.” Here’s the latest from Olney in a tweet.

Buster Olney
    @Buster_ESPN

Giants are making progress on an agreement with Johnny Cueto. Could reach a deal soon.

14. unca_chuck said, on December 14, 2015 at 1:13 pm

Deal with Cueto to be reached ‘soon’ per ESPN.

Heston’s the boy on the bubble should Cueto sign. And I guess it dispels any notion of keeping Timmy around.

Unless of course TimTim signs some sort of minor league make-the-team deal. Or they promise him the role that Petit used to fill. At a greatly reduced price.

• Flavor said, on December 14, 2015 at 1:19 pm

it dispels any rumor that we were in on any of these hitters.

• chipower9 said, on December 14, 2015 at 1:39 pm

Timmy and his agent have said he will do a road show once he is 100%, and he is looking for a starter position. Only way I see the Giants inking him to a minor league deal is if his road show does not go too well. If he looks good, there will be multiple suitors. Lots of “IFs” here. IF my aunt had balls, she’d be my uncle…

15. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 14, 2015 at 1:28 pm

Deal is done per MLBTR.

• djloo27 said, on December 14, 2015 at 1:35 pm

Bleacher Report and Olney also confirming 6 year deal…

16. chipower9 said, on December 14, 2015 at 1:36 pm

CSNBA reports six years in excess of the 120 that he stiffed from the D-backs.

17. unca_chuck said, on December 14, 2015 at 1:38 pm

Done deal if he passes his physical.

18. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 14, 2015 at 1:44 pm

I’d rather have Cueto than Leake.

• blade3colorado said, on December 14, 2015 at 1:46 pm

Agree. I’m past this insane money spending thing . . . It’s not mine and as long as the Giants want to spend money like a drunken sailor on shore leave, I’m down with that if it improves the team.

19. blade3colorado said, on December 14, 2015 at 1:45 pm

Dirt, Cargo can’t hit left handers. His home/away splits are also terrible. Just my take, but he is a Coors Field creation . . . and should stay in Colorado.

20. djloo27 said, on December 14, 2015 at 1:49 pm

6 years/$130 million

21. chipower9 said, on December 14, 2015 at 1:50 pm

Yep. And also an opt-out after two years, and team holds an option for a 7th year…

22. gianthead said, on December 14, 2015 at 1:52 pm

Well I wanted Greinke at 6 years and $150. Then o thought Leake at $75 for 5 would be fair.

So literally i just told my son as he got home that since we paid Samardja $15 mill more than I would for Leake, I would hope we could get Cueto at $135. Voila moments later.. so I am stoked!!! F THE Stodgers….

23. blade3colorado said, on December 14, 2015 at 1:52 pm

I think we need a closer. Come on down Albertín Aroldis Chapman de la Cruz . . . The Giants have room for a gun toting, misogynistic Cuban, if he can throw 100 MPH plus. 🙂

24. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 14, 2015 at 2:00 pm

Cueto with an opt out after 2 years. If he pitches well and goes back on the market this could end up being a great deal for the Giants.

• blade3colorado said, on December 14, 2015 at 2:03 pm

Yep. I like that aspect too. If he does well, then the Giants will make a qualifying offer in order to be eligible for draft pick compensation. Win win.

25. Macdog said, on December 14, 2015 at 2:03 pm

Well aware that records are pretty much meaningless these days: That’s a combined $220M for two pitchers who were a combined 22-26 last season.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 14, 2015 at 2:11 pm

It also includes a complete game 2 hitter in the World Series.

26. blade3colorado said, on December 14, 2015 at 2:07 pm

With Cueto signed, the best FA available for Cards, Bums, Snakes, Mets, etc: Mike Leake, Scott Kazmir, Chen, Gallardo, Fister. Kennedy, Bartolon Colon

27. blade3colorado said, on December 14, 2015 at 2:10 pm

Mac, are we still under the luxury tax threshold?

• Macdog said, on December 14, 2015 at 2:11 pm

Hmmm, don’t know.

28. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 14, 2015 at 2:20 pm

Baer is probably already dreaming about Johnny Cueto man purse night.

29. Macdog said, on December 14, 2015 at 2:39 pm

What’s this make MadBum now, the Giants’ fourth highest-paid starting pitcher?

30. Flavor said, on December 14, 2015 at 2:43 pm

this is fantastic, at least in terms of next year.

31. alleykat69 said, on December 14, 2015 at 2:56 pm

Stoked on signing Johnny Cueto!!
    Badass Starters at the top of the rotation Bum, Cueto, Alphabet, a hopeful back and healthy Cain, pit bull Peavy, Heston probably the long guy are spot starter..
    Best manager in the game, best Pitching coach who will make both Cueto, and Alphabet better pitchers, best infield, great catcher to work with, it’s all good for another W/S championship!!!!!

32. ewisco said, on December 14, 2015 at 3:14 pm

one of the nice things about cueto is he gives such a different look from any of the other starters. peavy, cain, voggie,leak all sort of looked the same. this guy throws at such weird angles and cadences.

33. blade3colorado said, on December 14, 2015 at 3:20 pm

In my opinion, Cubs, Giants, Snakes, Nats, Pirates, Mets, Cards, and Dodgers are cream of NL in that order as it stands now . . . Mets, Cards, Dodgers are definitely not done yet. Who knows? Maybe the Giants get a Fowler or Parra too.

• unca_chuck said, on December 14, 2015 at 4:20 pm

All we have to do is break Kris Bryant’s arm this spring, and we’ll see how they do . . .

• blade3colorado said, on December 14, 2015 at 4:27 pm

Send Tonya Harding?

• unca_chuck said, on December 14, 2015 at 8:56 pm

Lqtm

34. alleykat69 said, on December 14, 2015 at 3:53 pm

Yeah Blade if their’s still a little coin left in the bottom of the purse,Fowler are Parra would top off the Christmas presents.
    Cause I’m not sure Boch&Sabes are convinced that Ensign Parker, are Big Mac, can handle the job in LF..

35. Flavor said, on December 14, 2015 at 4:10 pm

Getting texts from friends tripping on this deal. I don’t get that. Cueto is good.

• blade3colorado said, on December 14, 2015 at 4:31 pm

Flav, they don’t like him? What’s their alternative fix (or do they want the status quo)?

• Flavor said, on December 14, 2015 at 4:55 pm

one of my buddies thought it was too much $, the other thinks Cueto is *damaged goods*

36. unca_chuck said, on December 14, 2015 at 4:21 pm

Yeah, Parker in LF is a thin hope. Thin, not holographic of course . . .

37. zumiee said, on December 14, 2015 at 4:24 pm

These huge contracts are the nature of the game now. Part of it is the bigger TV contracts. Part of it is the extra Wild Card team; more teams feel like they’re just a player or two away from making the playoffs. Plus, teams saw how the Giants proved that it’s all about getting into the playoffs, and then anything can happen from there.

38. zumiee said, on December 14, 2015 at 4:29 pm

Here’s a Dodger fan who’s not digging their new front office so far:

I don’t care what anyone says.
    Season Ticket Holder here so my money is where my mouth is.

What has the smartest minds in baseball done for us let’s recap…

1. Kept a horrible manager and hitting coach for 1 meaningless season instead of going out and getting one of the best managers in the game that he had already worked with.

2. Traded a young and affordable all-star lead off hitter for a one year rental at 13 Million and gave up the best pitcher in the deal too.

3. Traded a 100 RBI guy AND paid for him to go to another team for an oft-injured already caught cheating catcher.

4. Let a Cy Young Award candidate go to a division rival and did not replace him even though a very competent replacement was sitting right there for a fraction of the cost…oh and that replacement ends up going to a rival too.

5. Signs a 37 year old 2nd baseman to a 7 Million deal even though he has at least 2 and perhaps 3 options at the position.

6. Attempts to trade for the best closer in the game even though he already has the 2nd or 3rd best closer.

I purposely left the names of the players out because I have a simple question…

If any GM had done the total of 1 through 6 for say the Giants would we be laughing at them?

I sure as hell would.

Now if we want to compete this year we will have to make yet another trade…something our current brain trust has not proven they can do.

This blows.

by The Ghost of Dr H on Dec 14, 2015 | 2:16 PM

39. Carstie Clausen said, on December 14, 2015 at 4:45 pm

Six year deal? But SF stomps the Snakes with an overmatching rotation of Bumgarner, Cueto, Samardzidja, Peavy and Cain ~ and if Matt the Horse is hobbled, a kid who threw a no-no vs the Mets last season. The scary good bit on the Rotation is a lot of lounging Bullies as at least 3 of these guys if not all five are capable of 200 inning seasons. That’s some heavy horse, gang. Old Guzzie Bush would be jealous, as even his Clydsdales would be left back in the fumes.

Situation #2: A trade situation would not now necessarily necessitate Beade, but could feature a M.L ready starter in Blackburn and an MLB proven catcher in Susac. Both young and very controllable. Depending on the quality of the outfielder they get (ideally can play C.F.) there could also be those add-ins from the pipeline’s raft of starters and relievers. Needles to say, no need to trade for a S.P. now.

Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports did take away our overlooked, dark-horse proclivity, though. He now rates the Giants the team to beat in the NLW. Guess that ownership circle finally convinced themselves that “it’s only money”.

Huge.

• Flavor said, on December 14, 2015 at 4:54 pm

that’s funny, Passan openly hates the Giants. Nice to see him come around.

40. xoot said, on December 14, 2015 at 5:05 pm

Somehow without getting dramatic about it the Giants have thrown a helluva an offseason already. Would be experts essentially agree:
    @JonHeymanCBS
    2 of the 3 most improved teams are in NL west. early rankings: 1. d-backs 2. red sox 3. giants 4. cubs 5. tigers

41. Flavor said, on December 14, 2015 at 5:42 pm

POTD continues to slay me……

• djloo27 said, on December 14, 2015 at 5:43 pm

My favorite thing about it is no “a” before skink…

• Flavor said, on December 14, 2015 at 6:57 pm

absolutely. And i’m still not sure if he meant skunk or skink but since the U and I are right next to each other on the keyboard I have to think he meant *skunk*. But the skink is such a rad animal and no one has ever said they’re as drunk as a skink. It’s utter nonsensical gold.

42. djloo27 said, on December 14, 2015 at 5:42 pm

I agree with Blade that we need a closer. Maybe Cueto will offer some insight into how fucked up Chapman really is – or if he was just having one of those days…

43. ewisco said, on December 14, 2015 at 6:42 pm

why do i find myself hoping we didn’t “win” the offseason?

44. xoot said, on December 14, 2015 at 6:47 pm

Gamblin Rose — Nat King Cole hit, right?

45. willedav said, on December 14, 2015 at 8:32 pm

I’m sure disgruntled Dodger fans will be chiming in on blogosphere a lot if they don’t do something quick.
    There was one on top of comments on the Passan yahoo Cueto signing column complaining about the Gordon trade, Utley in and Kendrick out at 2b and the new GM letting Cueto Smardz and Greinke wind up with division rivals.

Should be “good read” next few days.

46. willedav said, on December 14, 2015 at 9:38 pm

Dodger fans not only ones singing the blues re: this one on mlbtr from sonnygraysanatomy:

The NL West has added Iwakuma, Miller, Samardzjia, and Cueto this offseason not to mention still having Bumgarner Kershaw and Greinke. My poor Padres are going to get no hit 5+ times this year.

47. snarkk said, on December 14, 2015 at 10:26 pm

SF got two starters pretty much for the price of one Greinke. Now , all both have to do is perform …