Greato Move By SF

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 15, 2015

First things first: Johnny Cueto is gooooooooooood. And he did almost all that goodness pitching in the band box confines of the NL Central. He’s gotta be ripping the hugest of beats when he eyes the long, rolling green fields of AT&T. Although that’s assuming there’s anything left after he beats to that 130 mil….

Somehow, he’s only started 3 games in San Francisco. But he was dominant in all 3. This cat is a true ace. If Cain’s arm starts to feel like his again, our pitching will rival any staff we have EVER had here at AT&T……

The bad news is the obvious stuff. Did the Reds get the best years of that arm? He’s 29 and thrown 1,420 mlb innings. I’m guessing he threw double that growing up in the DR.

But I’m not going to worry about *back of the baseball card stuff* today. I love everything about Cueto: his flair, his hair, his various deliveries and of course his production.

Celebrate good times, Flappers. Now i finally know what it feels like to be a Padre fan in the Winter time. lqtm. Hey, they don’t call it “Lose-ter”. It’s called *Win*-ter for a reason…..

1. wilcojoe said, on December 15, 2015 at 6:36 am

I predicted here (before Greinke signed with the Dbacks) that the Giants would sign two pitchers for the price of one Greinke. I finally got a prediction right.

• chipower9 said, on December 15, 2015 at 7:53 am

Yep. Me too…but I truly thought it was going to be SamJ and Leake, but am estatic with Cueto over Leake.

2. blade3colorado said, on December 15, 2015 at 6:39 am

I was thinking what snarkk said, “SF got two starters pretty much for the price of one Greinke” is pretty spot on. A closer and a half-way decent left fielder would make this Christmas my best one going back to 1967, where I got a Schwinn Stingray. πŸ™‚

• chipower9 said, on December 15, 2015 at 7:54 am

Ha…about the same year I got a Stingray. That was one bad ass bicycle. Mine had a three-speed shifter on the top frame bar (nut cracker).

• blade3colorado said, on December 15, 2015 at 8:00 am

πŸ™‚

• unca_chuck said, on December 15, 2015 at 8:10 am

Right, the Cherry Picker . . . I liked my one-speed better.

• chipower9 said, on December 15, 2015 at 9:04 am

Well, there were not too many in my neighborhood with the three speed, so it was the cat’s meow…

Mine was gold…damned fun bike!

3. willedav said, on December 15, 2015 at 6:48 am

Still unsure how to view the opt outs in the big deals–Price and Heyward have them, and so does Kershaw.
    Greinke used his to get a long term deal and blow Dodgers off.

Cueto could do the same. F/G column said the deal seems to be about him trying to rebuild value so he can do what Greinke did if he has 2 good years for SF. Which would still be fantastic for Giants in the present and does not rule out resigning him, esp if unlike Greinke SF won it all again.

Certainly you could argue LA got tremendous value and best years out of Greinke without having to pay for advancing age. But I don’t think they feel like winners right now.

4. pawliekokonuts said, on December 15, 2015 at 7:02 am

I guess that means Tim Lincecum is likely gone.

• blade3colorado said, on December 15, 2015 at 7:13 am

I actually hope not Pawlie. I’m hoping that this surgery will be the remedy to his subpar performance these last few years. Regardless, I wish him well wherever he lands.

• chipower9 said, on December 15, 2015 at 7:57 am

I do not think that is a done deal. I wish I could find the article I read last week where Tim was talking about his plans (he is throwing right now). In the article, the doc who did the procedure on his labrum said he thinks Tim could pick-up some of the zip he lost on his FB. Timmy and his agent said that he will wait until he is 100% (another month or two), and then he plans to go on a roadshow for a number of teams. He wants a starter position, and that is very problematic with our Giants. It will be very hard to see him in another uni if it comes to that. Agree with Blade…I have nothing but love for Timmy regardless of where he lands.

5. willedav said, on December 15, 2015 at 7:08 am

Bochy intentionally used Casilla in meaningless games last year in order to vest this season, so I’m sure that’s your closer and I’m OK with that
    Plus there is death to RH Romo, Kontos Osich and Strick. I could see both latter two getting some save opps 2016 with an eye to the future.
    I like both of them, but you have to actually see them close before you know if they can do it or not.

Getting an OF (other than back up younger guy like Marisnick) seems like a reach. And I would not trade Susac either. He could help the club quite a bit this year as backup and RH bat with some pop. Any regression by Belt or signs Posey is slowing down and the move to 1b becomes more imminent Susac will be important.
    C is tough spot to fill and the other guys that played last year have not proven they can hit ml pitching,

• chipower9 said, on December 15, 2015 at 7:59 am

Agree whole-heartedly on not trading Susac (I think it was Stix who had him packaged with a pitcher…Blackburn) as a potential trade for an OFer. The Giants really have quite a few young arms, and I believe there is enough there to swing a deal without bankrupting the future.

6. Bozo said, on December 15, 2015 at 7:13 am

Yup, I agree this was a “Greato” move by the Giants. The Giants know that getting 6 productive years out of that arm probably won’t happen (Cueto probably does too), but if they got 3 good years with trips to the playoffs, I’m betting the Giants brass would be very happy with the deal.
    If Cueto decided to opt out after 2 good years with the Giants, well put the plastic up in the offices at 24 Willie Mays Plaza, the owners would be very, very happy.

We are back to 40 on the 40 so I’m guessing an OFer will come by trade (unless Ehire is finally cut, or maybe he’ll be part of a trade). The Giants probably don’t want to pick up a large salary dump (Cargo would be $17.4 in 2016 and $20.4 in 17). Young and controllable could be tough to find but… I still think we could get Ozuna from Miami, he can play all the OF positions, RHer with some pop and speed. An average of a Hit and K per game kinda guy.
    Atlanta might flip Inciarte (they just got him from AZ in the Shelby Miller trade), Speed and low Ks. Lefty hasn’t hit all that well in our Park, but he does have 16 doubles in that many games. He has hit well in all other NL West Parks and kills it in AZ. Either of these guys would probably cost quite a bit in terms of prospects, but we’d be set going forward. Fill out the bench by paying Byrd his $8 million and this team would be built for comfort, and speed.

• willedav said, on December 15, 2015 at 7:21 am

“Built for comfort”…somewhere around the house I have the London Howling Wolf Sessions LP.
      Loved their version of Wang Wang Doodle and Little Red Rooster too.
      I’m gonna find those on youtube right now, thx for the reminder man.

• chipower9 said, on December 15, 2015 at 8:01 am

Post ’em when you find them. That is some really good stuff…

• Bozo said, on December 15, 2015 at 9:01 am

I got everything sweet mama needs.

7. blade3colorado said, on December 15, 2015 at 7:21 am

Inciarte? What does Flav say (or do) when something “rad” happens? Jizz all over his monitor? Yeah, I would do that if we got Inciarte. πŸ™‚

• Flavor said, on December 15, 2015 at 7:24 am

figuratively Blade, figuratively.

• blade3colorado said, on December 15, 2015 at 7:25 am

Of course. Me too. Umm . . . Or go to SE Asia. πŸ˜‰

8. Flavor said, on December 15, 2015 at 7:26 am

I think what’s going to happen is that Cueto will be lights out the next 2 seasons and opt out. By then, another arm or two will be developed by the Giants and they’ll turn back to the farm system to fuel the rotation. I think they just saw that we were obviously in a little bit of a lull period for a starting staff so they went big on the FA market. And that’s actually exactly how I read Bobby Evans on KNBR last week. That’s why I don’t listen to hot stove bull shit. I’d rather hear directly from the guy making the decisions and it was clear to me, reading between the lines, that they were focused on starting pitchers, not hitters…..

• chipower9 said, on December 15, 2015 at 8:03 am

I agree. And Bochy was the one fueling much of that desire for a reload on some proven starters. Evans is a smart man for listening to Boch.

• giants54 said, on December 15, 2015 at 6:16 pm

It’s all done by committee. Evans isn’t doing what without Sabean Baer et al signing off on it.

9. Flavor said, on December 15, 2015 at 7:31 am

I don’t think this move from Great American Ballpark to ATT&T can be understated. If he stays healthy I think he’s got a legit chance of winning a CY next year, possibly 2 in a row…….
    I know some Royals fans who were less than enthused by Cueto but his starts for them were a small enough sample size and he came up big when it counted, a complete game World Series win.

10. chipower9 said, on December 15, 2015 at 7:52 am

Great thread Flavor. I am with you, but there is just a bit of me that somewhat agrees with one of your friends you mentioned (last thread) who was bagging on the Cueto deal. My concerns are the injuries. I do not have a list of them all, but WTF, he was the best available when our boys nabbed him yesterday, and I am happy about that. I am going to dive in on your “not worrying about the back of baseball card stuff” and enjoy the ride.

I am pretty damned stoked about the off-season moves already. Now if they can put together a trade for a decent LFer…hopefully someone who can hit lead-off, that will be the proverbial icing on the cake.

I need to go visit some of the Bumbino blogs…there should be some very entertaining reads, there.

11. blade3colorado said, on December 15, 2015 at 8:00 am

This is what I said yesterday, if he opts out, then we get draft pick compensation (based upon our anticipated qualifying offer). More important, if he opts out, that means he was “lights out” insofar as performance (see Greinke); and maybe, just maybe, it means we have one or two World Series due partially to his contribution. Yeah, a lot of shit has to go right, but we’ve seen that happen 3 times, so it’s possible.

This is what I don’t like – in all of our World Series runs, we were ignored or worse. In short, we were underdogs. This obviously wont be the case next season, as we’ll definitely be one of the favorites to win it all. I still think the Cubs are the favorites, especially with their 3 “WAR 5” position guys (Bryant, Rizzo, and Heyward). According to the relationship between talent forecasts and World Series odds, which FiveThirtyEight editor-in-chief Nate Silver researched for a trade-deadline article earlier this year, a team with 99-win talent will win a championship about 15 percent of the time.

12. chipower9 said, on December 15, 2015 at 8:06 am

I have to chuckle just a bit, as it was not that long ago (10 days or so) that most of us were getting a bit antsy about the lack of a deal by the Giants. I remember being there, but also taking a deep breath and saying “trust Sabevans to get the job done.” This was back around the time (late November) when the Giants signed Grant Green and Kyle Blanks.

• unca_chuck said, on December 15, 2015 at 8:14 am

Grant Green is one of my favorite bars.

13. chipower9 said, on December 15, 2015 at 9:06 am

Only 64 days until pitchers and catchers report for YOUR San Francisco Giants…

14. Bozo said, on December 15, 2015 at 9:19 am

The thing that gets me right now, Matt Cain just became our 5th starter. Can you imagine what that means if he learns how to pitch without pain?

• Flavor said, on December 15, 2015 at 9:29 am

his pain is gone. What he’s said is that he’s not used to throwing with his *new arm*. Says it feels like he’s pitching with someone else’s arm. Makes sense that it might take a year to get used to it. I’m optimistic about him this year.

• Bozo said, on December 15, 2015 at 9:59 am

If he returns to form and pitching from the fifth slot, this rotation could be way over the top nuts. I’m pretty stoked about it.

15. Lurker John said, on December 15, 2015 at 9:33 am

Yeah, if the Cainer can round into the form we all know he’s capable of and Peavy stays healthy all year, the Giants will have one hell of a deep rotation.

• Bozo said, on December 15, 2015 at 10:04 am

Sorry Lurker John, I didn’t see your post when I replied to Flavor above.
      So ditto, I agree.

16. Macdog said, on December 15, 2015 at 9:40 am

With MadBum and Cueto, Giants have the last two pitchers to throw complete-game victories in the World Series.

17. Flavor said, on December 15, 2015 at 9:42 am

at this point, I really don’t give a shit if they add another hitter or not. Just build a team that can score 2 or 3 runs, you’re looking at 4 in 7……..

• chipower9 said, on December 15, 2015 at 9:53 am

I do not think it is critical to upgrade an OF position. Hey, the Giants were near the top in almost all offensive categories last year with that hodge-podge OF while missing Pence. But I still would love to see them get someone who is flexible and can play all OF positions, and is a lead-off hitter, for that time when Crazy Horse’s body will just no longer respond.

I still like Parra in that regards. Not too expensive, and a good defensive OFer. Can play all positions, and hits lead-off.

• Carstie Clausen said, on December 15, 2015 at 10:02 am

Teams who are stong down the middle are usually winners ~ frequently big winners. Look at the Giants and you get Posey, Panik and Crawford middling the infield and then (Pagone?). Crazy Horse done his bit for SF but last season ended up being rated the worst CFer in the Bigs.

Way i see it, is that Bochy and Sabevans see no sense kicking on a dead horse to achieve full class defense up the middle. Giants can offer some AL outfit a ready for the Show starter, plus a decent pitching prospect, plus Ehire, plus Pagan and cash for a guy who can play very good to excellent defensive centerfield and maybe no worse than an MLB average hitter.

18. Carstie Clausen said, on December 15, 2015 at 9:56 am

With Willie Mays Field about to be amortized within the next couple years and that huge new development deal + decent teevee revenue and constant sellouts + mega merchandising millions, Giants ownership may well have come to the conclusion that SF no longer needs to maintain the “Po Boy Shuffle” shtick. To add not only a co-ace, but also a top of the line #3 makes for as good a rotation as any in MLB ~ particularly when you are looking at proven quality in their #’s 4 and five.

Can Cueto hold up for six years? Doubtful. Will he take his opt-out after two seasons? Could happen if the Giants go Post-Season the next two years but no parade. Underlying thought is this: Owners may sense that Cueto’s addition ups the chances of a parade over the next 2 into the probability range. Is another parade worth a hundred and thirty big M’s? Some guys with a lot of money seem to think so.

19. Lurker John said, on December 15, 2015 at 10:33 am

I’m happy with the Cueto deal. Even though he struggled towards the end of last year, he was bringing it in the playoffs, like mid-to-upper 90’s if memory serves, and his 5-year numbers are pretty phenomenal. However, I’m with chi in that I have this nagging thought in the back of my head that he could be injury prone. But, be that as it may, this will be a season of high expectations for our Giants. I’m down with that.

Of course, that’s not stopping the dipshits at ESPN from finding some criticisms of the Giants’ moves. David Schoenfield pointing out that the last 7 WS winners have had rotations with WAR’s that were no better than middle of the pack:

Rotation WAR of the past 7 World Series winners:

2015 Royals: 22nd

2014 Giants: 23rd

2013 Red Sox: 13th

2012 Giants: 16th

2011 Cardinals: 14th

2010 Giants: 14th

2009 Yankees: 8th

OK, great. But every Giants fan knows that in each of the championship years team pitching was dominant in the playoffs, bullpen and rotation. I’ sure the Rangers and Tigers would attest to that. Yeah, the Royals scored some runs, but when it came down to brass tacks, they got their asses shut down. When the Giants’ pitchers bear down in playoffs, they’re pretty tough to beat.

His implication is that a team doesn’t need a dominant rotation to win it all and sinking the dough into 2 guys, as the Giants did, is a questionable move. For me, all else being equal, I’ll take my chances with the best rotation the team can run out there.

Schoenfield has always struck me as a writer that is anti-Giants and who is dubious about how good those championship Giants’ teams were. You know, the old, “They got lucky” party line. Fuck him.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 15, 2015 at 10:59 am

I get the overall point but the 2010 staff had a historic run in the post season if I remember right. I can’t remember the records they tied or equaled but I do remember Cain didn’t give up any earned runs over 3 starts.

20. xoot said, on December 15, 2015 at 10:49 am

Damon Minor is the new hitting coach for AAA Sacramento River Cats (he moves in from NOLA AAA team in the Marlins organization). The Marlins appear to be upgrading their hitting coaches top to bottom. (effing Damon Minor? Maybe he’s good at analyzing video.)

• chipower9 said, on December 15, 2015 at 12:39 pm

LMAO…”Maybe he’s good at analyzing video.” That is fucking priceless, xoot.

21. pawliekokonuts said, on December 15, 2015 at 11:04 am

Naw, I don’t want Timmy gone at all, but no slot for him. Maybe fifth starter. Yeah, I’d wince seeing him in any uni other than SF’s. I’m hoping he shines again. F*ck yeah.

• chipower9 said, on December 15, 2015 at 12:41 pm

I was going through a drawer of t-shirts that I do not wear regularly, and found my Timmy “F*uck Yeah” shirt. Bought that bad boy for $10 from a street vendor across from the Willie Mays statue…

• pawliekokonuts said, on December 15, 2015 at 7:32 pm

I bought one of those when I got off the bus in The Sunset and gave it to my daughter to wear in HS.

22. ewisco said, on December 15, 2015 at 11:58 am

if cueto hadn’t come up with that injury in the 2012 series against the reds (warning sign?), i think the g’s improbable comeback wouldn’t have happened.

as for timmy, if he’s able to throw hard again, why not relief? sure he’s easy to steal off of and can bounce one to the backstop at any moment but hey.

23. zumiee said, on December 15, 2015 at 12:12 pm

It turns out that Pete Rose has never stopped gambling on baseball. And he doesn’t understand why he wasn’t re-instated in major league baseball.
    What a buffoon.

• unca_chuck said, on December 15, 2015 at 1:50 pm

Too funny. What a maroon. Pete’s cardinal sin (to me) was to ‘come clean’ on the gambling to sell his fucking book.

Pawlie would never stoop so low. He might chat up Beer can. . . .

24. Flavor said, on December 15, 2015 at 12:16 pm

No more Timmy. Not for me anyway. He’s had 4 full seasons of crap. For that, we gave him 55 million dollars. I get it, maybe he’s healthy and could recapture some form. But I’m not interested in watching another year of him sucking. Change of scenery might be good for all involved and unlike other Giants who leave via free agency, I will definitely be rooting for him…..

25. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 15, 2015 at 1:11 pm

So who would you rather have on the roster to round out the OF Byrd or De Aza?

26. chipower9 said, on December 15, 2015 at 1:48 pm

Even though he is about seven years older, I would take Byrd. He has more pop (PH off the bench) and really did not embarras himself in the OF last year.

27. blade3colorado said, on December 15, 2015 at 1:58 pm

NBC Sports Joe Posnanski speculates that when the Washington Nationals’ Bryce Harper becomes a free agent after the 2018 season he’s in line for a $500 million contract. HAHAHAHA . . . Man, did we get a deal on Cueto. πŸ˜‰

28. blade3colorado said, on December 15, 2015 at 2:04 pm

Regarding Rose, I could give 2 shits what happens to him. Insofar as the Hall of Farce, Buster Olney makes sense about the HOF induction rules; and consequently, they should induct him, as well as Bonds, and all the other “bad boys.”

• chipower9 said, on December 15, 2015 at 2:55 pm

I agree with Onley’s thoughts on the issue. Thanks for the share, Blade.

• xoot said, on December 15, 2015 at 3:56 pm

I expect to hear an anonymous mlb insider quoted as saying: “We were all set to reinstate him, but then we watched him on tv in the postseason.”

29. unca_chuck said, on December 15, 2015 at 3:04 pm

Well, i never miss an oppo to post this . . .

• zumiee said, on December 15, 2015 at 4:08 pm

It is the word, indeed.

30. dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 15, 2015 at 3:07 pm

Contract year Pagan could be they key to the upcoming season.

31. blade3colorado said, on December 15, 2015 at 5:56 pm

Beyond the pale – CNN sending me an email, “CNN Debate Sweepstakes,” where you make political predictions for a chance to attend the March GOP debate. Meh. The country is going to hell in a handbasket and these idiots are making a lame game out of the presidential election. Assholes!

• zumiee said, on December 15, 2015 at 6:21 pm

Cable news networks are a failed experiment.

• blade3colorado said, on December 15, 2015 at 6:28 pm

Agree Zum . . . Ratings drive what is shown on cable (and free tv). Consequently, a multi-layered, complex crime like Watergate would never see the light of day with the current media.

• zumiee said, on December 15, 2015 at 6:46 pm

In the “debates,” the candidates don’t even have to answer the questions. And they certainly don’t have to tell the truth.

• dirtnrocksnomo said, on December 15, 2015 at 7:08 pm

The prize for the Fox News sweepstakes is an AR-15 and a plastic baby Jesus holding a constitution.

• chipower9 said, on December 16, 2015 at 7:25 am

Bahaha…

32. zumiee said, on December 15, 2015 at 6:23 pm

Against all odds, the documentary about the Astrodome on the MLB Network is pretty interesting.

• xoot said, on December 15, 2015 at 9:55 pm

I chanced across that documentary tonight while it was passing through the 80s. I didn’t see anything about the Will Clark rookie HR. Greatest moment in Astrodome history, isn’t it? I vaguely recall a Chili Davis go ahead HR some years earlier. Second greatest.

• zumiee said, on December 15, 2015 at 10:39 pm

Mickey Mantle hit the first HR in a game in the Astrodome, in an exhibition game. Who knew?

33. willedav said, on December 15, 2015 at 8:32 pm

Wow Monmouth wins again, taking down Georgetown on the road.
    Impressive showing by bench guys too.

Somewhere Ed Halicki is smiling.

• Macdog said, on December 15, 2015 at 8:57 pm

Pretty much double digits most of the game. Next up: Rutgers at the RAC on Sunday.