When Kershaw Isn’t Enough

Posted in Uncategorized by Flavor on December 16, 2015

Can you imagine the pendulum swing if The Art Dealers had gotten Cueto instead of us?

Our starting rotation now:

Bum, Cueto, J-Sammy, Peavy, Cain

Theirs:

Kershaw, Anderson (who will get hurt again), Bolsinger? I can’t even come up with the other 2. Ryu? Is he due back? Alex Freaking Wood? Someone said they were getting Iwakuma but I haven’t seen anything official on that.

With the D-backs improved and our rotation looking rock solid, it’s entirely possible that the Dodgers are going to finish under .500 next year.

lqtm……

1. unca_chuck said, on December 16, 2015 at 8:03 am

Scott Ostler just wrote an article speculating that the Yorks might (MIGHT!) be willing to sell the 49ers after this season after putting up with so much shit since Eddie D was deposed.

Ohpleaseohpleaseohplease

Speculating is the key word, but still . . .

• blade3colorado said, on December 16, 2015 at 8:14 am

Chuck, I couldn’t access the column, but was able to read another column that referenced this column. Consequently, is there someone else other than Ellison, who potentially could buy the team? Also, is Eddie D. barred from putting in a bid and/or taking over? Not certain what his status is with the NFL, e.g., permanent ban, no interest in being involved, etc.

• wilcojoe said, on December 16, 2015 at 8:14 am

Must be a subscriber to read. I guess if your going to sell the team, might as well wait until after you have cashed in on hosting the Super Bowl.

2. wilcojoe said, on December 16, 2015 at 8:07 am

I know it’s pointless but Todd McShay has the Niners taking Goff with the tenth pick, in his first mock draft. Hey it’s a slow news day.

3. willedav said, on December 16, 2015 at 8:39 am

Shea today in Chron also referenced fact ADs haven’t formally announced signing Iwakuma, a bit odd unless he is out of country or something.

Mac, how did Monmouth lose to Canisius? Hope they don’t have letdown vs. Rutgers, they are cool story.
    bobby knight talked about this a lot, calling it last game hangover from a good W that contributed to poor practice and game loss immediately following.

Noticed Bucks lost to Lakers last night, albeit without Monroe who was out hurt.

• Macdog said, on December 16, 2015 at 9:32 am

Canisius is probably one of the better teams in the league. First conference game, on the road, vs.tough opponent, Canisius team & fans stoked to play giant-killer Monmouth with all the attention they’ve received, and then throw in the bench-mob antics: It was a perfect storm to lose.

• Macdog said, on December 16, 2015 at 9:39 am

I can’t imagine any letdown vs. Rutgers. especially after they lost to RU at home last year on a 3 at the buzzer. If anything, it’ll be the opposite: Monmouth will be too hyped up to try and show who’s the boss in NJ hoops, although Seton Hall has already beat the crap out of RU. If it wasn’t combination NFL day and daughter’s HS hoops game later that afternoon, I might’ve made the trip to Piscataway.

4. unca_chuck said, on December 16, 2015 at 8:47 am

Ahhh, the article is behind their subscription wall.

Not going to fill up Craig’s thread here, but i posted the entire article on my blog if you want to read it.

Again it’s high speculation, but hey, any port in a storm.

• chipower9 said, on December 16, 2015 at 9:39 am

ANY glimmer of hope of the Dorks selling the club is great. But, I am not holding my breath. I wonder if the Brent Jones and Steve Young consortium are still interested in owning the Niners? I would much rather see them at the helm than young Jed…

5. chipower9 said, on December 16, 2015 at 9:40 am

Only 63 days until pitchers and catchers report…

6. Macdog said, on December 16, 2015 at 9:56 am

Looks like Dodgers in 3-way trade with White Sox & Reds, Frazier to ChiSox and Bums get prospects P Frankie Montas, IF Micah Johnson and OF Trayce Thompson, brother of Klay. Reds’ fire sale contines. If we didn’t have Duffster, I would’ve loved to have Frazier in SF.

7. unca_chuck said, on December 16, 2015 at 9:57 am

Larry Ellison is DYING to buy a sports team. I think he and Young/Brent Jones could do some real good things with the team.

• chipower9 said, on December 16, 2015 at 11:03 am

Agree. Let us hope like hell that this happens…but again, I am not holding my breath.

8. Flavor said, on December 16, 2015 at 10:37 am

I think Goff is going way sooner than 10, probably top 5….
    Why would the Niners sell the team? They just got a new stadium, they’re making a boat load of money. I think jed can put up with mean tweets for a little while. Certainly not going to prompt him to sell the team…….

• unca_chuck said, on December 16, 2015 at 11:08 am

Most of the shitty teams in the draft have their QBs of the future. The Titans have Mariota, the Chargers just dumped a ton of money on Rivers, and won’t pay a 1st round QB money this draft. Same deal with Flacco/Ravens. If the Browns stick with Johnny Eightball then there’s one less. The Niners as of now are the 5th team picking. Beyond that, Paxton Lynch is probably getting drafted first, then Goff.

I don’t see too much improvement in the standings for the Niners. They have a good shot to land him.

9. unca_chuck said, on December 16, 2015 at 11:01 am

If the stands are empty these last couple games, it’ll hopefully mean something. Why do you think Jed’s been in hiding for so long?

People are going to start breaking their seat license deals and suing the team for a shitty product.

10. chipower9 said, on December 16, 2015 at 11:05 am

I have one friend who has broke his seat license agreement and basically told the Niners to shove it because of the crap product they have put on the field. Told the Yorks the only way he was coming back was if the team was sold. I am sure he is not the only one who fits this mold. All those empty seats and trying to pay off the loans for the stadium may indeed cause the Yorks to consider selling the team. Again, I hope…

11. ewisco said, on December 16, 2015 at 11:16 am

i just don’t see denise selling. it’s going to print money for a long time. what does she care about fan reaction. and someone will buy tickets. someone always does.

• unca_chuck said, on December 16, 2015 at 11:30 am

You seen the stands recently? By the 3rd quarter, the lower stands are all but empty.

They were saved the embarrassment of hosting the Sunday night game this week to an empty stadium.

In other words, they got bumped from prime time. I wish it would have happened to highlight the fans bailing in droves.

12. Flavor said, on December 16, 2015 at 11:54 am

Whether the fans are unhappy enough to start ditching the PSL’s isn’t really of consequence. If this went on 4 or 5 straight years then yes that might prompt a decision to sell. But it’s been one abysmal year, no team owner sells the team because they had one shitty year. Jed will ride this out and as soon as they start improving the fans will be there.

• unca_chuck said, on December 16, 2015 at 12:14 pm

They’ve had 12 out of 16 shitty years . . .

• Flavor said, on December 16, 2015 at 12:54 pm

that’s true but there was a three year window that brought everyone back. Plus, a new stadium. I don’t see Jed ever selling this team. Not in the next 5 years anyway.

• unca_chuck said, on December 16, 2015 at 1:47 pm

Yeah, I’m not thinking this happens tomorrow, but it’s within the realm of possibility. If it goes another 5 years, then definitely. I mean, people don’t even really like the new stadium.

13. zumiee said, on December 16, 2015 at 11:58 am

Greinke was 51-15 for the Dodgers in his 3 years there. I know a pitcher’s W/L record has become a somewhat outmoded stat, but still….Greinke was one of the main reasons they won the division those 3 years.
    The Dodger pitching, at the moment, is not as good as last year; and their batting order, at the moment, is worse than last year. There’s still lots of time for them to upgrade, so we’ll see what happens. There’s still a possibility that they end up with Chapman, which makes for some weird vibes within their team. And their team already has some weird vibes to it.

• Bozo said, on December 16, 2015 at 4:05 pm

Wow, I don’t care if some people think the W/L record is and outdated stat on it’s own, 51-15 is pretty huge in my books. Of all the players that the Dodgers overpaid on, I would think that Greinke would have been the one guy that they went to the bank with.

• Flavor said, on December 16, 2015 at 5:58 pm

I agree, in this case, about the W. If you pencil in a W for all the Kershaw/Grienke starts that does 2 things: it usually gives you 2 automatic wins AND it takes pressure off the rest of the staff. Take away ZG and roughly 20% of those W’s and you are now talking about a bunch of guys who have to make up the slack. Not sure Anderson and Bolsinger are up for that tall task.

14. snarkk said, on December 16, 2015 at 5:11 pm

I think Ostler is throwing some crap onto the wall to see if anything sticks…

• Flavor said, on December 16, 2015 at 6:07 pm

what’s Jed got to do with the rest of his life? He got a stadium built, think about what that did for his ego. He probably walks around it when no one is there quietly saying to himself, “This is MY HOUSE. I’m the bad ass that got this done.” You think he’s gonna give that baby away to a buyer? Fixing this is literally the ONLY THING he can really do at this point in his life. I think he’s married with kids. What’s he gonna do? Completely fail publicly and then just start being a stay at home dad? Or go from being an owner of a pro football team in his mid-30’s to being President of one of the random arms in his dumbass family’s empire? Zero chance. He built a freaking stadium. There is NO WAY he’s giving that and the team and all it’s grand legacy to someone else. I understand Osler is *throwing shit on a wall* but if you look at it the way I just laid it out, nothing is gonna stick and Jed isn’t going to sell the team. And if I was Jed at his age, I wouldn’t sell either. Not in a million years.
      He might disable his twitter account so people can’t tweet him mean things anymore. lol. That is the ONLY thing that might happen here.

15. Paul Sorensen said, on December 16, 2015 at 5:52 pm

Definitely an interesting turn of events re: starting pitching in the NL West. When Cueto turned down AZ’s initial offer of $120mil a couple of weeks ago, I remember thinking something along the lines of “greedy bastard”… If he had accepted that offer, AZ likely would not have gone after Greinke, and most accounts I’ve seen had Greinke returning to LA. So, Dogs would’ve still had Greinke and Opie, AZ would’ve had Cueto and likely still woulda done the Shelby Miller trade, and our SF Giants would’ve only had Shammalammadingdong and likely looking at…. Leake…. Man, what a difference that cool extra $10mil from the Giants has made in the NL West….

16. unca_chuck said, on December 16, 2015 at 6:20 pm

Well, if junior keeps fucking this up, maybe daddy takes his toy away. Who knows what the family dynamic is regarding the team. Denise certainly never wanted it and Dr Dork got tired of the hassle pretty fast.

He sells now he stand to make a fortune anyway. Besides all the other owners are pretty much laughing at him.

• Flavor said, on December 16, 2015 at 6:29 pm

here’s what daddy said today: “This was not a good season. But you have my assurance that the ownership of the 49ers is very passionate about this team. And we are here to win,” York said.
      Chuck, I think if the stadium hadn’t been built this might be a different situation. But that is literally probably the crown jewel in the history of this family. They don’t care about money, they have more than anyone could ever spend in 10 lifetimes. Getting a stadium built is a HUGE deal. THat’s their baby, whether people like it or come to it or not. It’s the Taj Mahal of their family. They aren’t giving up on this team, no way, no how. Book it.

17. alleykat69 said, on December 16, 2015 at 6:48 pm

Daddy Dork and the whole Dork clan sadly for all will never sell this team.
    Hell they got this stadium built and even if the 49ers stink for years, they could give a shit.
    There gonna rake it huge profits just with this upcoming SB game, then all the events they can do,concerts, college bowl games, Tractor pulls,Moto cross, fuck even a Sharks Hockey game outdoors!!
    The Dorks have never known how to run a football team, but they know how to make the mighty dollar work for them..

18. snarkk said, on December 16, 2015 at 7:48 pm

My point on Ostler is that he’s just stirring up some interest for a coln to read. He’s got nothing that I can see. Other than Ellison is super rich, wants to be an owner, he’s around here, Jed is taking heavy fire and therefore “might” sell. We all could make up that connect the dots BS

• djloo27 said, on December 16, 2015 at 8:00 pm

I remember when Willie Ellison set the single game rushing yardage record (since broken, I’m sure)
      It was pretty shocking at the time…

• willedav said, on December 16, 2015 at 8:51 pm

cool player. That was in days before guys had 16 games to make 1000 yds too. Rams Niners was good rivalry.
        So few decent running backs these days.
        Today 3rd down and 2 or 3 is a passing down with empty backfield and 5 wideouts and these little dink passes.

• Flavor said, on December 16, 2015 at 8:55 pm

it’s all bullshit to sell papers/hits on their website. Will never, EVER happen. Even without me breaking it down, there isn’t a single thing in his article that was anything but conjecture. As you said, Ellison wants to buy a team. Really? What billionaire doesn’t? Jed has one, plus a stadium. He ain’t selling.

19. unca_chuck said, on December 16, 2015 at 9:36 pm

If they flail for another bad stretch line the previous one, they’ll sell. YeH it’s speculation, but as long as the talk is out there and it grows . . .

20. Flavor said, on December 17, 2015 at 6:46 am

newer. better. faster. stronger.